Author Topic: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat  (Read 85978 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Start Biking To Work - cycling newbies chat
« Reply #1000 on: September 13, 2019, 11:34:05 AM »
It's also a bit chilly for me at around mid to low 60 degrees F, but when I tried wearing a jacket I got sweaty. Maybe because it was a rain jacket, but it was advertised to be 'breathable.' Not really sure what I'm supposed to do here to be kind of comfortable, but not too warm.

My experience (and I understand everyone is different) is that the low 60's feel cold when I start riding, but I'm plenty warm after the first fifteen minutes with my summer gear on. This was the case earlier this week when I was drenched on the way to work. (Not really sure if this is a suggestion, other than to maybe try riding without a jacket at those temps if you haven't before and see if the discomfort is temporary.)

Good to note though that you should always take an extra piece of clothing . . . just in case you've misjudged the temperatures.

35andFI

• Stubble
« Reply #1001 on: September 13, 2019, 06:47:17 PM »
That happened to me on my way to work this morning. It was 59F (15C) and I wore a light windbreaker/track warmup.

I was comfortable for the first 15 minutes or so then started sweating.

turketron

• Bristles
« Reply #1002 on: September 16, 2019, 07:10:23 AM »
so we took the ebike for a spin from the local bike sharing service yesterday, and while she was initially pretty skeptical (but was still a good sport about trying it out) my wife is now 100% sold on getting an ebike.

We have a few good friends that live in our neighborhood and as a group we've been biking a lot all summer, and I keep talking about the two of us biking to work together. She admitted that she gets mad whenever we decide to bike somewhere because it's miserable for her, but none of us realized it was this bad because she puts on a good face about it. Anyways, she's now super excited about an ebike and even said "if this is what biking normally feels like for the rest of you guys I can see why you're so excited to bike everywhere all the time!"

We did some research over the weekend and unfortunately there aren't many bike shops that either specialize in ebikes or have a particularly good selection of them. She's super short (5 foot or maybe slightly under) so she doesn't want to buy anything without taking a test ride first, which eliminates most online sellers. So, we landed on one from Costco, of all places. It's nothing special, but i's a good price ($1500) and has most of what she's looking for (pedal assist, reasonable range) and we confirmed that it comes with Costco's full "no questions asked" return policy, so if it doesn't work out we can return it and find something else that's suitable. She's now super impatient for it to arrive as it takes a couple weeks to ship.

35andFI

• Stubble
« Reply #1003 on: September 16, 2019, 07:26:43 AM »
So I thought I was too good to use my checklist this morning, got all the way to work, then realized that I left my laptop at home.

So I changed back into my gym clothes, took the shorter (and sketchy) way home, got the laptop, then took the short way back, took shower #2, changed again...

I could have just worked from home today but wanted to be in the office to help a coworker with her math homework.

...which I later found out she left at home.

Happy Monday everyone lol