Author Topic: Use It Up, Wear it Out, Make it Do, or Do Without  (Read 457 times)

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
Use It Up, Wear it Out, Make it Do, or Do Without
« on: June 15, 2019, 12:10:13 PM »
...is an old saying that my New England relatives used to say, that I need to apply in my life.

After having lived in my current place for four years, I am in the midst of another round of decluttering (inspired by the declutterers here and Marie Kondo on Netflix.) What I am finding, though, is that although I do have some things that need to be rehomed or disposed of, honestly a lot of what I have are things that I do want to eat/read/use/wear--I just fall into routines or get distracted by shiny new things. I also live in a tiny condo, and although I am careful about accumulating, I tend to store things "cleverly" to make the most of my space...which means I forget about what I have.

Since summer is a less crazy time of year, and also a time where in my area you tend to be stuck inside with the air-conditioner, I thought this would be a good time to get started. So far:

--found two greeting cards tucked away that were meant for specific people and sent them. That meant that my best friend got a birthday card either five months early or seven months late, but she has exactly the kind of sense of humor that would find that hilarious.
--wore two pairs of shoes that I liked a lot, but have not worn much because my current life isn't very conducive to high heels. In the end I decided they were too worn to keep, but I wouldn't have known that without wearing them for a day.
--made a bag of Trader Joe's frozen inside out gnocchi that was a specialty item of theirs awhile back and had got shoved to the back of the freezer. It made a great Friday evening dinner/Saturday lunch.
--found an online frame company that would make a frame for a gorgeous but weird-sized photo my brother gave me as a gift awhile back. I had sporadically looked for a reasonably priced custom frame on and off for a couple years but never found anything that I thought was not ridiculously overpriced given I just needed a simple frame and mat. (I used Frame it Easy if anyone else is looking...you have to put the item in the frame yourself but I don't mind that.)
--finished a few puzzle games on my iPad. When I get stuck I tend to put the game aside thinking that my brain will solve the puzzle while I'm doing other things...which works sometimes, but equally often I forget it and start something else.

One big challenge is the bookshelves. I have acquired quite a few books which are out of print and really hard to find, so I want to read them before I say goodbye to them.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Use It Up, Wear it Out, Make it Do, or Do Without
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 12:42:41 AM »
--found two greeting cards tucked away that were meant for specific people and sent them. That meant that my best friend got a birthday card either five months early or seven months late, but she has exactly the kind of sense of humor that would find that hilarious.

I love this.

While writing Christmas cards last December I found a card I'd written to friends from circa 2014 (they've since gotten married and she changed her name).

I didn't post it, but I did text her a photo and apologise for seemingly neglecting her that year. We had a good laugh over it.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 08:28:58 PM »
We have a problem at my condo complex where the postal worker frequently puts small packages in the wrong box. So Amazon etc. claims it has been delivered but it's nowhere to be found, until the neighbor whose box it got put in thinks to check their mail. (And why would they, THEY'RE not expecting anything.) I had ordered a few small things including a couple of plate hangers, and then the package went astray. It finally turned up a week late, and I got to put up two beautiful plates by a local (now deceased, sadly) ceramic artist that had been stored in boxes. I moved a framed picture at the same time, and that section of wall looks much nicer!

Also cleaned out some bathroom drawers. I threw out a few things but mostly just rearranged so I could find all the mini lotions and soaps that have accumulated, and actually use them. In the process found a small make-up bag that will be great for a trip coming up. Also rearranged part of a closet so that the areas I can reach easily are where I store things I want to use, and the far reaches are where I store items that will be needed very rarely.

Ynari

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 11:14:57 AM »
School's officially out for the summer, so I've been thinking about making this a focus. I should intrinsically have lower levels of consumption, and can deal with all the accumulated consumption that's been building up because of the "needs" of my job.

Most of my goals are typical "clean stuff out, eat the food at the back of the pantry, craft with the materials I already have, don't buy any thing but food, etc.", but one thing in particular I want to do is rewaterproof a hand-me-down 4-person tent. Even when properly staked, it "weeps" excessively in the rain. SO wanted to get a new one, but I think all we need is a good waterproofing agent. I also need to fix up my bike so I can see if I can avoid driving for most of the summer!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 08:18:54 PM »
I do this all the time, but of course, I can't think of many examples at the moment...

Two things I did recently involve my vacation though.  I wanted to just take one bag (trip to Sweden and Finland from the US) and, because I bought cheap flights, my carry-on had to be under 17.5 lbs (no checked bag, 9 days).

I learned a trick a few months before the trip to make your own shampoo and conditioner concentrate, so you could pack it in a smaller container.  I had a few bottles of a nice hotel shampoo, in those little hotel-sized bottles.  I left one open and let the moisture evaporate for a week or two, then poured more shampoo into the bottle.  I did this over several months until I had more than enough concentrated shampoo for my trip.  For the conditioner, I did the same, but I put my own conditioner into the hotel bottle (my hair is curly/wavy and somewhat picky).

I get a new pair of work shoes every year.  Some years my old ones are falling apart by the time I get new shoes, other times they still have some life in them.  I took one pair as my extra shoes, just added some nice insoles.  When it was time to come home, they were pretty much used up, so I dropped them in the trash can on my way to the airport (I kept the insoles though).  I also bring older socks and underwear that are pretty worn, might have holes in them, when I go on vacation.  After wearing them, I finally toss them in the trash so I don't have to wash them or bring them home.