Author Topic: Punching smoking in the face!  (Read 48330 times)

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Punching smoking in the face!
« on: March 23, 2012, 01:34:35 PM »
Yes, smoking. I reckon it's a massive contender for the title of 'most anti-mustachian habit'. For all my espousing the principles of mustachianism, attempting to find creative ways to save money and improve my lifestyle, I feel like a fraud. My dirty little habit has to be punched in the face so I can call myself truly mustachianism.

So I'm throwing down the gauntlet. To any other smokers on this forum (and I'm sure there must be one or two) I say cast of the shackles of shame, publicly acknowledge the problem and own your mistake. Now is the time to save yourself, and save more for your stash.

Let this be a judgement free place. Smokers all know that smoking is stupid and lethal. No one needs to repeat it here. This is a thread for support and encouragement and celebrating the small victories on the path to smoke-freedom!!!

All the advice I've read says to set yourself a date to quit, give yourself a couple of weeks to prepare, i.e. finding local groups for support, figuring out if you want to use nicotine replacement products, if so, which ones; do you want to ask your GP for medication to suppress the cravings. There's nothing wrong with using nicotine replacement, if it gets you to where you want to be. You DO NOT have to rely on willpower alone, just do what you have to to be free of the smoke.

This is, I think, my fourth serious attempt at quitting, and each time you do a little better, or your learn something for next time. I can attest to that fact. Which is why I have set my quit day as Tuesday April 3, the day I'm going to visit my parents for a couple of weeks. They don't know that I smoke, though they know my brother does (which goes to illustrate the associated shame I have), so that will help me stop. Often when I visit I don't smoke, or I go several days without a cigarette and then sneak one at some point late at night. I am seeing my doctor on Monday to discuss options for NR and/or medication.

So, there. The gauntlet has been thrown down. Join me in this challenge, and grow your stubble into a proud mustache.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:37:35 PM by Brett »

MacGyverIt

• Bristles
  • Location: Not in a tropical, underpopulated location. And that's just wrong.
  • What Would MacGyver Do?
Re: Punching smoking in the face!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 02:31:54 PM »
Brett, I praise you for your ongoing attempts and we totally support you with this gauntlet throwing.

My aunt passed entirely too young from lung cancer, I wish she had your conviction -- she never once tried to quit. On the bright side, I've a relative who just told me he's planning to quit an over 50 year chewing tobacco habit b/c the prices have gone up so much. And my aunt quit smoking after OVER 50 years so I know you can do it! I've heard some of the prescription meds are effective, is that an option? 

Best of luck to Brett and everyone else cutting the (consumption and health) expense of cigs.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 02:39:58 PM »
AWESOME!!  Great challenge! 

My brother just recently quit smoking after being a smoker for about 20 years (he was also a drug addict and alcoholic for many years).  He tried many many times to quit and he was never successful.  He eventually married a smoker and they had a child.  His wife quit when she was pregnant and they both hoped to be done for good, but then after the child was born, they continued to smoke (outside and away from him). 

Right before their child turned 2, they learned that he was autistic.  Over the years, they learned that he is extremely sensitive to chemicals and many other things in the environment.  So, after 20 years, he completely stopped overnight and never went back.  It was amazing. 

My nephew is nearly 5 now and making great strides, but it's a reminder of how much of an effect smoking can have not only on ourselves, but also on those around us.  Sometimes I think that my nephew can sense things more readily than the rest of us can and he reminds us of what we should be doing.

I wish you the best of luck.  I know how hard it can be.  We're all rooting for you!!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 04:34:29 PM »
Yes, smoking is THE most anti-Mustachian habit out there. My family's been trying to get my dad to quit for years (he's been smoking since he was 13) but there's no changing a person who just doesn't want to change.

Good luck with this challenge. Let us know how it turns out!

skandrae

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »
Cheers, Brett! I'm picking up this gauntlet (although my quit date was the beginning of this month, before I knew of the Mustachian ways).

As I head into my 24th smoke-free day (this go round, I'm trying nicotine replacement), I look at the pile of money I would have spent on cigarettes, and I plot the awesome things I'm going to do with it. Will I put an extra payment toward the principal on my truck loan? Will I use it to pay for my dog's surgery next month? Will I put it in the pool and dive into a la Scrooge McDuck? (Answer - probably option #2)

This time, I feel more confident and optimistic about becoming a non-smoker - this time, it has been completely my choice. I want to stop, for my health and for my wallet, and I'm the one I'm accountable to.

R62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 07:54:30 PM »
There are tools available to you, and I would encourage you to use them. 

I was a 30-year chain smoker (started at 15).   I quit once.  It will be 5 years in July (giving away my age here): I did it  with the help of a generic version of wellbutrin and the patch.   Have not smoked a cigarette since.   This program costs a little $ at first, but no more than a pack-a-day+ habit, and gradually declines.  It was a 3 month program.

DH and I did it together.   We are much healthier and more active, and our 'stash is much bigger, as a result.

Go for it.

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 06:42:50 AM »
Thanks guys. That's a lot of support and some great anecdotes to help. I really appreciate the sharing and it's very encouraging.

Mrs MM, I'm sorry to hear about your brother's troubles. I'm glad things are becoming more positive there, and the determination he demonstrated is really impressive. I've heard similar stories about people who've dropped terrible habits overnight for their kids, or grandkids. I'm sure you know more about it than me though, after all you and MMM changed your entire lifestyles for mini MM.

Skandrae, 24 days is immense! Massive congratulations. And you quit pre-mustachianism, it's as though you were already coming into the fold. Come April 27 I want to be reporting back here as being smokefree for just as long, and you'll almost have gone 2 months by then! I really like the Scrooge McDuck idea, but the surgery probably is a more sensible decision. Hope it's nothing too serious, and I'll be wishing your dog well.

MacGyverIt, I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. I lost a family member to cancer not too long ago and it's really crappy. The news of your other relatives is great though. Quitting after 50 years! That's so impressive. I loved reading that. I've 'only' been smoking a year and a bit now. Comparatively there's no reason I can't do it. Medication may well be an option, I'll find out monday, if not I expect I'll be getting some gum. I'm not a real heavy smoker and I have done pretty well in the past. Usually when I've relapsed, as it were, it's been due to feeling like crap and not having enough planned to keep myself busy, or to distract myself. Last summer I actually quit for 6 weeks. That was my first attempt, but I had a couple of drinks, thought 'Oh, one won't hurt'. After the one I tricked myself into thinking it would be a waste to throw away the rest of the pack and got sucked back in. Stupid decision, but I know better now.

Adventine, sorry to hear your dad's being stubborn about it. Sometimes it does just require people to come to it on their own, frustrating as it might be and prodding them can just reinforce the stubbornness (from presonal experience). You never know what's going on in people's minds though, he could be closer to coming to the decision to quit on his own than you realise. Thanks for the support.

R62, yours is the epic story. Quitting once is amazing. Congrats on that. In the past I've been really stubborn about not using the various supports there are out there, feeling like I had to do it by will power alone. I realise now that that's just my pride and that my health is more important, plus regardless of how I get to being smokefree, it's still a great achievement. Not that it's entirely comparable, but I know I wouldn't think less of someone who got off heroin just because they used methadone.

This time, for the first week or so at least, I'll be crazy busy. My mum wants help setting up veggie patches in her garden. The back-breaking labour will keep me honest, I'll be imagining I'm some sort of puritan or something.

Thanks again for all the support folks. It means a lot. And good luck to all else taking up the gauntlet. Let us know your quit dates and keep us updated. 

Welmoed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 08:48:31 AM »
Bravo for making the commitment to quit! I was a two-pack-per-day smoker for more than ten years... picked up the habit to "impress" a boy I was crazy about who smoked. It took me three tries to quit completely; the first two were gradual wean-off programs from the American Lung Association. I was back up to about a pack a day, when one day I finished a pack and threw it in the trash can and told myself, "That's it. No more." That was 27 years ago and I haven't had one since.
Today I look at the exorbitant price of cigarettes and am amazed that anyone can afford to smoke. At $6 per pack (and I know it's much higher in places), a pack per day will set you back more than $2100 over a year!!!
You'll get a lot of satisfaction seeing your cigarette money piling up instead of being turned into piles of ashes. I vote for the "throw it in the pool and dive in it like Scrooge McDuck" experience!!
--Welmoed

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »
Bravo for making the commitment to quit! I was a two-pack-per-day smoker for more than ten years... picked up the habit to "impress" a boy I was crazy about who smoked. It took me three tries to quit completely; the first two were gradual wean-off programs from the American Lung Association. I was back up to about a pack a day, when one day I finished a pack and threw it in the trash can and told myself, "That's it. No more." That was 27 years ago and I haven't had one since.
Today I look at the exorbitant price of cigarettes and am amazed that anyone can afford to smoke. At $6 per pack (and I know it's much higher in places), a pack per day will set you back more than $2100 over a year!!!
You'll get a lot of satisfaction seeing your cigarette money piling up instead of being turned into piles of ashes. I vote for the "throw it in the pool and dive in it like Scrooge McDuck" experience!!
--Welmoed

Another impressive story. It's weird how sometimes people can just stop. I guess something just needs to be triggered in the mind to give the drive to do so. When I think about how much I've spent on cigarettes since restarting last summer I'm just gutted. Such a waste. Once I've quit I might just start online transfers to a savings account specifically marked as cigarette savings so I can see how much I save... and then swim in it once it's large enough.

Welmoed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 02:22:45 PM »
Brett,
I'm not saying stopping was easy. The first week was very hard and my fiance had to deal with having a total bitch around the house. But he knew it would get better, so he supported me and encouraged me. The second week was better, and it kept getting better from there. I think I finally started calling myself a non-smoker when I encountered someone at work who had just come from a smoke break and I couldn't believe how bad he smelled. I thought to myself, holy cow, is THAT how bad I smelled all those years?!? Once your sense of smell returns, you'll be astounded too. Hang in there!!
--Welmoed

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 05:54:32 PM »
Brett,
I'm not saying stopping was easy. The first week was very hard and my fiance had to deal with having a total bitch around the house. But he knew it would get better, so he supported me and encouraged me. The second week was better, and it kept getting better from there. I think I finally started calling myself a non-smoker when I encountered someone at work who had just come from a smoke break and I couldn't believe how bad he smelled. I thought to myself, holy cow, is THAT how bad I smelled all those years?!? Once your sense of smell returns, you'll be astounded too. Hang in there!!
--Welmoed

My apologies if it sounded like I thought it was easy for you. Perhaps it would have been better worded as 'it's weird how sometimes people can have the willpower or drive to overcome cravings seemingly suddenly,' which it seemed from your story that that's what happened to you,  you were cutting down gradually but suddenly decided to stop altogether. Sorry if I misunderstood, or offended.

You know what's pretty funny, I can't stand the smell of other people smoking. I hate the smell of it when it's not me smoking. Whenever I come back from a smoke break at work I end up apologising to people because I'm sure I stink even if I was standing in the wind or something, although one of my coworkers did say she didn't know I was a smoker until I mentioned it because she hadn't smelt it. But now she knows I think she expects the smell so she smells it sometimes. I tend to avoid smoking in my flat, or hang out of a window or something, but I have cans of air freshener and fabric spray because of the paranoia of the smell... which are also probably not good for my lungs. Sigh. Only ten more days.

HeidiO

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 04:39:23 AM »
  What a great thing!  I don't know the best way to quit, but I imagine the electronic cigarettes might be a good idea for people either on their way to quitting, or just reducing the negative effects.
   Part of my job (a small part) is to talk to new or soon to be new parents about smoking.  Most people don't know about the idea of "third hand smoking."  Third hand is when you smoke away from your baby, but when you then pick up your baby you have toxic chemicals on your hands, on your clothes, in your hair, etc.  Third hand smoking seems to be just as dangerous as second hand smoking, in terms of rates of asthma, SIDS, colds, etc.
  I am just putting this info out there for parents.  I think breaking addictions is amazing.  Unfortunately I have an evil sugar addiction, which is probably just as harmful to my body as if I smoked. 
Heidi

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 06:37:21 AM »
  What a great thing!  I don't know the best way to quit, but I imagine the electronic cigarettes might be a good idea for people either on their way to quitting, or just reducing the negative effects.
   Part of my job (a small part) is to talk to new or soon to be new parents about smoking.  Most people don't know about the idea of "third hand smoking."  Third hand is when you smoke away from your baby, but when you then pick up your baby you have toxic chemicals on your hands, on your clothes, in your hair, etc.  Third hand smoking seems to be just as dangerous as second hand smoking, in terms of rates of asthma, SIDS, colds, etc.
  I am just putting this info out there for parents.  I think breaking addictions is amazing.  Unfortunately I have an evil sugar addiction, which is probably just as harmful to my body as if I smoked. 
Heidi

Damn the white stuff, it does get us all sometimes. I've never heard the term third hand smoking, but I know my cousin wouldn't let people near her baby after they'd smoked for those reasons. Thanks for the support/suggestions. I had considered electronic cigarettes, to replace the hand to mouth habit... probably more beneficial than jelly babies.

Welmoed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 09:21:31 AM »
I've seen a lot of ads for nicotine replacement therapy in the form of fake cigarettes. In my opinion, these have a very important drawback: they reinforce the habit of putting something in your mouth and sucking on it. For the longest time after I quit, it just felt so odd that I didn't have a cylinder between my fingers.
What helped me the most was knowing that the intense craving episodes last less than a minute. I learned to take slow, deep breaths and remind myself that my body is undergoing a very real physical withdrawal, and that each spell of craving means I'm expelling the accumulated crap from my lungs.
Try taking up a new hobby that involves both hands. Keep your hands busy. You need to break that hand-to-mouth habit. In thinking about it, perhaps that's why smokers light up after a meal, because they've just spent a lot of time bringing their hand to their mouth, and motion is strongly tied to smoking.
--Welmoed

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 09:28:10 AM »
Though some of the hardcore believers will get very angry and offended at this, gotta throw it out there.

Second hand smoking isn't real.  No science actually supports the idea of second-hand smoke.  Literally 0 studies support the idea of second hand smoke being harmful.  Zero.

Penn and Teller's TV show "Bullshit" did an episode examining this myth, talking with doctors and scientists, etc.

Third hand smoking is even funnier, as if that is a real thing.  It isn't.  Just like second hand smoke isn't.  (Just cause it's been repeated enough doesn't make it fact.)

No offense intended, just truth.

/disclaimer: I don't smoke, I'm not a fan of smoking.  I do believe in letting people make their own informed choices. I believe in truth, not FUD.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 11:31:53 AM »
The health consequences of second hand smoke mean less to me than the offensive odor.

Every time I smell a smoker, I want to drop trou and just squeeze out a giant steamer on the sidewalk right next to them.  Oh I'm sorry, does that smell bad?  Not nearly as bad as what you're doing.  Consider keeping your filthy habits to yourself next time.

I'm totally in favor of people doing whatever they like to their own bodies.  Mutilate, medicate, terminate, whatever.  Just have the decency to not do it in public where my kids can see. 

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »
The health consequences of second hand smoke mean less to me than the offensive odor.

Every time I smell a smoker, I want to drop trou and just squeeze out a giant steamer on the sidewalk right next to them.  Oh I'm sorry, does that smell bad?  Not nearly as bad as what you're doing.  Consider keeping your filthy habits to yourself next time.

I'm totally in favor of people doing whatever they like to their own bodies.  Mutilate, medicate, terminate, whatever.  Just have the decency to not do it in public where my kids can see.

Haha, I can appreciate that. I try my best to minimise smell, and I won't smoke around kids. I don't agree about the public thing, but that's not the point of this thread so we'll leave it there. In 9 days it won't matter anyway! Woop woop.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 08:54:06 PM »

And in turn, I completely support your right to free speech.  Except when you say things I don't agree with.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 09:03:32 PM »
And in turn, I completely support your right to free speech.  Except when you say things I don't agree with.

I'm not saying that the right should be suppressed.  I'm asking that people not be disgusting in public, as a matter of courtesy.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 10:07:35 PM »

I'm not saying that the right should be suppressed.  I'm asking that people not be disgusting in public, as a matter of courtesy.

I understand what you're saying.

What I'm saying is this: if you support the right of free speech and free expression, the most crucial things to protect are those that disgust you.

Otherwise we have the tyranny of the majority.  What happens when someone doesn't like someone else wearing certain clothing in public?  Or having a certain piercing?  Or haircut?  Or whatever.

If you take away one's right to express themselves in public, you take away their free speech and expression right in general.  And that's a slippery slope, and not a world I'd want my (as of yet, unborn) kids growing up in.

I don't think you're saying we should stop them, just that you wish they wouldn't.  I get that.  It's just that sort of thinking leads to the "let's pass a law so they can't" type thinking.  Because I can guarantee you there are people who agree with you who WOULD ban it.

I wish everyone would stop smoking.  But if they choose to, I support their right to do so, even (and especially, perhaps) in public, when it is an inconvenience to me personally.

Sorry for the soapbox/rant.  Nothing personal.  Like I said, I don't think that's what you were thinking.  But plenty do.  And too few nowadays understand freedom of expression means protecting that which offends.

Mirwen

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 09:57:32 AM »
I've quit three times.  My husband changed to e-cigs and loves them.  I'll share our experiences in case they help you.

The first two times I quit, I did so gradually.  Over a period of about a month I went from 1 pack a day to about 3 cigarettes a day.  After that I probably spent 6 months with a pack in my purse and I knew if I "really" needed one, it was there.  This worked out really well for me because psychologically, I needed to know that I could have a cigarette if necessary.  So for me, I never felt deprived.  During the "cut back" period, I kept telling myself, "I won't have one now, but if I really want one later I will have one."  Most of the time I didn't want one later, the craving had passed, but sometimes I did have one.  I have a tendency to disobey any orders, so telling myself "no" wouldn't work.  I would do it just to prove a point.  (Not a very smart point, I know, but it's important to understand your own personality when approaching these things.)  After each of these temporary "quitting"  I did not have a cigarette for more than a year, so I do feel that I quit, even though I did take up smoking again later.

My third time quitting was when I became pregnant with our son.  I quit that day and never looked back.  I don't think I'll start again.

My husband's experience was different.  He really loved smoking and didn't want to stop.  However, I insisted that he stop when I was pregnant.  So we found a compromise, e-cigs.  They've really come a long way since the overpriced ones they sell at the mall.  They don't stink, they don't have any carcinogens, and they are much less expensive than regular cigarettes.  My husband spends about $10-15 per month on his e-cig habit.  It's still not the most Mustachian thing to do, but it works for us.  My husband loves his e-cig and can't believe he ever smoked those stinky cancer sticks before.  Plus, you can get the liquid in many different strengths, including 0 nicotine.  So if you need a stopgap to get you through the physical addiction by tapering down the nicotine level before tackling the physical habit, e-cigs can do that too.  It's cheaper than the patch.

I understand the macho thing to do is to quit cold turkey, but from what I've read that doesn't work too well.  Consider all your options and pick what feels right for you.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:00:41 AM by Mirwen »

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 01:43:14 PM »
Guys, much as I appreciate the discussion of rights above, and it is interesting, please stay on topic.

I've quit three times.  My husband changed to e-cigs and loves them.  I'll share our experiences in case they help you.

The first two times I quit, I did so gradually.  Over a period of about a month I went from 1 pack a day to about 3 cigarettes a day.  After that I probably spent 6 months with a pack in my purse ......

I understand the macho thing to do is to quit cold turkey, but from what I've read that doesn't work too well.  Consider all your options and pick what feels right for you.

Mirwen, thanks for that. A great contribution. I am quite similar in that I would feel fine about quitting until I had no more cigarettes left and the option to have one was gone. I've considered keeping one or two with me to prevent the cravings I get when I know I can't have a cigarette.

I've been really intrigued by the e-cigs, nice to hear from someone with experience of them. I've been thinking of them for my nicotine replacement, and £10-15 is much cheaper than actually smoking, so a good saving, though like you say, not entirely mustachian. But we do our best. My previous experiences have all been cold turkey, and it worked for me once for 6 weeks, but the circumstances were such that it made it easier to not smoke. I'll take the help if it gets me off them and saves the money. I've tried macho, now I'm trying mustache..... What a terrible line to end on.

Welmoed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 07:31:31 AM »
So Brett... How's it going? Did your doctor give you some good (or at least helpful) advice?

I'm pulling for ya!

--Welmoed

skandrae

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
I second Welmoed's question - how did it go? I know you can do this!

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 06:58:04 PM »
I second Welmoed's question - how did it go? I know you can do this!
So Brett... How's it going? Did your doctor give you some good (or at least helpful) advice?

I'm pulling for ya!

--Welmoed

Hey guys, thanks for checking in. It's been a hectic week so apologies for no update. My doctor was pretty useful I guess. He recommended an appointment with the practice nurse who apparently runs a kick ass smoking cessation clinic, with really good quit rates. The only downside is I couldn't get an appointment until the 12th thanks to work, so I'll have to do the first week or so without that help. He didn't recommend any medications.

I actually came on to say that today I bought what will be my last ever packet of cigarettes. Woop woop. Going to attempt to smoke fewer over the weekend in a feeble attempt to minimise withdrawal come Tuesday. I'm actually feeling a bit nervous over this time round, maybe because I know I've made such a big deal of it. Only 4 days to go!

Again, I really appreciate you folks coming back to see hwo things are going. That support means a ton.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 07:09:06 PM »
AWESOME!  I came to check up on you too.

By the way, when my brother tried to quit once, he took some kind of weird drug (sorry I don't know the name).  It was extremely effective (he stopped smoking completely), but he became depressed and eventually suicidal.  It was pretty bad and it coincided with the birth of his son, which sucked.  Anyway, just be careful what you take... :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 08:49:10 PM »
Lots of males get very depressed after the birth of a child.  It's a very underreported problem, so if that has happened to anyone out there, know you're not alone.

Glad your resolve is still strong Brett.

Any "addiction" is to the nicotine.  Don't be too macho or whatever and try to go cold turkey.  Get the nicotine (from gum, patch, whatever) to wean you off the addiction while quitting. 

Good luck!

Welmoed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 06:51:45 AM »
Brett,
You ROCK!!
Just remember that you WILL be going through withdrawal, no matter if you take medications or not. Your body has to clear out all the crap from the bloodstream, and it will suck, but it will NOT last forever. Warn your family and friends that you will not be good company for a week, but that you NEED their support and encouragement even if you yell at them. Apologize in advance, and if there's someone who REALLY helped you stick to your guns, give them a nice gift when you've been clean for a month.
RAH RAH BRETT!!
--Welmoed

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 03:38:54 AM »
Thanks everyone who keeps coming to check the progress. As always, it really means a lot to have the extra support from this community.

The way things have gone I'll not be using any medications, but will be trying some form of nicotine replacement. The cold turkey way hasn't really worked for me in the past (obviously) so I'm going to use whatever will help me succeed. I remember how crappy it feels during the withdrawal period and that I get really snappy so appropriate warnings/apologies in advance will be given to all the unfortunates who have to talk to me. My nerves are still building over this attempt, but I'm hoping that just demonstrates the significance I'm placing on this attempt and that I'll be committed.

Only three more days!

astadt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 06:40:38 AM »
Brett

Oh man, I wish you good luck. I quit about 6 weeks ago and am surviving. Look into the mints (i havent lived in the states for a couple of years so Im not sure if you can get them), I used the 1.5 mg ones and they rocked. A cigarette has about the same amount in there but you really only need to suck on one for a while to get through a bunch of cravings.

Worst part... not hanging out with the other smokers at work

Best part.... Not hearing my GF complain everytime i go and smoke.

Good luck, I'll keep checking in!
Alex

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2012, 02:43:11 PM »
Brett

Oh man, I wish you good luck. I quit about 6 weeks ago and am surviving. Look into the mints (i havent lived in the states for a couple of years so Im not sure if you can get them), I used the 1.5 mg ones and they rocked. A cigarette has about the same amount in there but you really only need to suck on one for a while to get through a bunch of cravings.

Worst part... not hanging out with the other smokers at work

Best part.... Not hearing my GF complain everytime i go and smoke.

Good luck, I'll keep checking in!
Alex

I've never heard of the mints, I'll have to look into them. I live in the UK, maybe we don't have them, but I'll check. Thanks for the suggestion and support. I'm lucky in that my co-workers don't smoke, so I won't miss out there. Unlucky in that my SO smokes, and although he's cut back I don't think he's going to actually quit any time soon, so that may be a massive hindrance to me. At least I'll be able to get him to stop smoking indoors since I won't be smoking and it'll be unbelievably stinky. I wish we had a balcony, or a garden.

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 03:09:29 AM »
Oh man, the last day is upon me! Feeling a bit stressed and nervous about it today, but this is going to be possibly the most worthwhile thing I do for myself this year, if not ever. I know this week is going to suck massively, but that's the great thing about being an adult (as opposed to a man-child) and a mustachian: we take responsibility for our actions and choices. I've got through the first week of quitting before, I can do it again. As ever, appreciate all the support I've had from this community.

How are the other recent ex-smokers doing? Astadt? Skandrae?

I'm assume our long-term ex-smokers our still standing strong.

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 06:47:23 AM »
this is going to be possibly the most worthwhile thing I do for myself this year, if not ever

If we had those obnoxious smilies other forums have I'd give you a whole line of cheerleaders!!!

You are right, this is possibly the best thing you will ever do for yourself.  One day at a time :-)

skandrae

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 07:46:29 AM »
I was so busy with work crises last Friday that I forgot to go to the Health Centre to pick up my next batch of patches, so I've been off the patch for two days now ^_^

Just woke up feeling immensely guilty for smoking, and then realized it was just a dream - I dealt with a super-stressful situation yesterday *without* turning to nicotine. Huzzah!

You can do it, Brett!

Welmoed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 09:40:44 AM »

Just woke up feeling immensely guilty for smoking, and then realized it was just a dream

Too funny! I've actually had dreams about smoking. And even though I quit nearly 30 years ago, I still get them on occasion!!

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 10:43:28 AM »
If we had those obnoxious smilies other forums have I'd give you a whole line of cheerleaders!!!

You are right, this is possibly the best thing you will ever do for yourself.  One day at a time :-)

I'll just imagine that there's a line of cheerleading smilies in your post. Thanks.

Too funny! I've actually had dreams about smoking. And even though I quit nearly 30 years ago, I still get them on occasion!!
I was so busy with work crises last Friday that I forgot to go to the Health Centre to pick up my next batch of patches, so I've been off the patch for two days now ^_^

Just woke up feeling immensely guilty for smoking, and then realized it was just a dream - I dealt with a super-stressful situation yesterday *without* turning to nicotine. Huzzah!

You can do it, Brett!
Haha, oh man that's pretty funny about the dreams and guilt. Congrats on getting through it, and for doing so well off the patch too. Will you still go get some more, or try to not use them now?

I just picked up nicotine gum. They were buy one get one free, so I saved £14 and have a ridiculous supply of the stuff. I feel like the mustachian gods are smiling on my endeavours.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 10:58:14 AM »
I just picked up nicotine gum. They were buy one get one free, so I saved £14 and have a ridiculous supply of the stuff. I feel like the mustachian gods are smiling on my endeavours.

Awesome, what a nice happenstance.

Gogo Brett!

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2012, 05:51:58 PM »

Awesome, what a nice happenstance.

Gogo Brett!

I miss-timed my cigarette smoking and ran out early!!! Panic! Panic! I'm using the gum now. It makes my belly feel weird, and gives me a strange feeling at the back of my throat. Almost like spice, but not quick. It's like a gentle pricking. Maybe this will put me off wanting to use the gum, so I'll go longer between and therefore beat the cravings sooner? Am I tricking myself? I don't know. We shall see. But the mustache gods brought me the gum, it must be right!!!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:55:28 AM by Brett »

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 02:08:23 AM »
Day one

As I stand here in this bleak and desolate wasteland, I see nothing but endless scorched earth and the wreckage of what was. Remnants of the Smoke linger in in the shadows under the over turned vehicles. The thought of endless days of labour clearing it weighs on my spirit, but it must be done if this world is to thrive again. In the meantime, I must focus on getting something to grow in this blisteringly hot place.

Ahem, sorry. What I am trying to say is having just woken up and remembered no cigarettes today, I am feeling a little daunted by the challenge. However I know if I focus on small chunks of time, taking each day, or even each hour or second as it comes (when cravings are bad) I will be fine. Plus I've got my nicotine gum to see me through. In the mean time, I'm at my parents for only a week, I better get cracking in the garden while it's gloriously sunny.

Welmoed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 07:43:30 AM »
Go Brett!!

A small suggestion: rather than focus on what you're giving up (smoking), focus on what you are GAINING (ability to smell pleasant aromas, better physical stamina, more money in your pocket, etc.).

You can do it!!

--Welmoed

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2012, 07:58:48 AM »
Go Brett!!

A small suggestion: rather than focus on what you're giving up (smoking), focus on what you are GAINING (ability to smell pleasant aromas, better physical stamina, more money in your pocket, etc.).

You can do it!!

--Welmoed

Thanks Welmoed. Sensible suggestion, I should have thought of that. I think I will have a savings jar in which I'll put the cost of a pack of cigarettes (which just had tax added in the new budget so a good time to escape) every few days to see it add up.

Today is going pretty well so far. Only marginal cravings, and I know the gum is there if I need it so that's helping. I know the cravings will be worse in the next few days, but I'm prepared. I've been busy in the garden all day which has been great. Found out I might be going away for the weekend, so that will be a nice distraction too.

Effects on my body so far:
Blood pressure and pulse back to normal
Nicotine and Carbon Monoxide levels have halved.
Oxygen levels are normal.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 08:53:38 AM »
Day one

As I stand here in this bleak and desolate wasteland, I see nothing but endless scorched earth and the wreckage of what was. Remnants of the Smoke linger in in the shadows under the over turned vehicles. The thought of endless days of labour clearing it weighs on my spirit, but it must be done if this world is to thrive again. In the meantime, I must focus on getting something to grow in this blisteringly hot place.

Ahem, sorry. What I am trying to say is having just woken up and remembered no cigarettes today, I am feeling a little daunted by the challenge. However I know if I focus on small chunks of time, taking each day, or even each hour or second as it comes (when cravings are bad) I will be fine. Plus I've got my nicotine gum to see me through. In the mean time, I'm at my parents for only a week, I better get cracking in the garden while it's gloriously sunny.

Hah, you're a good writer.  You should work on writing a novel to distract you from the not smoking. ;)

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 10:20:41 AM »
Day one

Hah, you're a good writer.  You should work on writing a novel to distract you from the not smoking. ;)

Cheers. I'm such a wannabe writer it's unreal. I've not yet attained the level of badassity to stop whining and talking about what I want to write and actually doing the hard work of writing. Maybe I should give it a go during the school holidays to occupy me.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 10:25:11 AM »
Nice write-up!!  Happy Day One!  I think the idea of putting the money you would have spent in a jar is excellent.  Perhaps also visualize your lungs returning to that glorious pink color they are supposed to be.  :)

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 11:40:28 AM »
Nice write-up!!  Happy Day One!  I think the idea of putting the money you would have spent in a jar is excellent.  Perhaps also visualize your lungs returning to that glorious pink color they are supposed to be.  :)

Given the city I live in I don't think my lungs will be pink until I move away. But I will visualise them being healthier anyway. Cheers Mrs MM.

skandrae

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2012, 08:18:36 AM »
Yes, put the smoke-money in a jar - eventually there'll be enough for the Scrooge McDuck dive into a pool of money ^_^

You can do this!

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »
Yes, put the smoke-money in a jar - eventually there'll be enough for the Scrooge McDuck dive into a pool of money ^_^

You can do this!

Yes! Yes! Yes! I like this.

Update.

Day two. In an hour it will have been 48 hours that I have been smoke free. The cravings have been slightly worse today, but not unbearable. Been busy enough yet again that I have been able to focus on other things. I've not used the gum yet. I've wanted to a couple of times, but I've just said to myself 'it's there if I really need it in an hour's time.' That's been great. And since I've not had any gum, the good effects on my body so far are:

Effects on my body so far:
Blood pressure and pulse back to normal
Nicotine and Carbon Monoxide levels have halved.
Oxygen levels are normal.
Carbon monoxide has been eliminated from my body.
Lungs are starting to clear the excess mucus and debris.
There is NO NICOTINE in my body anymore!!!
Ability to taste and smell is greatly improved... and I've discovered a jar of piquante peppers which I am eating slowly and it is like sex for my tastebuds.

I am not discounting the use of gum still. A little nicotine in the system is better than nicotine and tar and other crap in my body

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2012, 05:39:24 PM »
The gum is your safety net, but you're doing an awesome job on the tightrope without it!  :)

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2012, 06:53:05 PM »
You can do it!

My mom's smoked most of her life (except when pregnant thankfully) and has tried quitting more times than I can count. But you strike me as much more of a take-charge-and-personal-responsibility type, so I'm sure you'll succeed! I've inherited from her what I call an addictive personality, exceptionally prone to getting stuck in bad habits like watching TV/movies or eating junk food. It takes a great deal of effort for me to resist getting sucked in to these temptations, but I recognize that even that is nothing like what you're going through!

Some lessons I've learned from watching my mom:
  • As an earlier poster suggested, focus on all the benefits you're getting by not smoking (in a short time, increased energy, heightened sense of taste/smell, etc.) Over time not smoking will become the "new normal" as MMM has talked about with frugality, but this can be dangerous because you can forget how bad smoking was. Never forget!
  • Look out for triggers that used to cause you to want to smoke (the psychological part of the addiction). Find (ideally) healthy activities that can replace smoking when those triggers come around, such as exercising or eating a sweet, ripe, juicy fruit. Finding ways to avoid those triggers can help in the short term, but eventually you will probably have to face them again so you will need to be prepared.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2012, 08:33:39 PM »
My quasi-motivational story for smokers trying to quit:

My grandmother smoked all of her life.  First she was diagnosed with emphysema, and then lung cancer, and then died a slow horrible death.  Her daughter took up smoking as an adult, watched her mother die a slow horrible death, and yet STILL continues to smoke.  Despite the fact that she is now getting sick, my sister still smokes.  The addiction is strong.

Smoking isn't just bad for you.  It's bad for your children.