Author Topic: Punching smoking in the face!  (Read 48469 times)

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
Re: Punching smoking in the face!
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2012, 09:34:24 AM »
I am rooting for you guys!  I smoked a pack a day for about 8 years back in my teens/20's.  Quitting smoking is still the hardest thing I've ever done.  You can do it!

I had success going cold turkey.  It sucked, a lot.  What I did was keep a jar and I put $4 a day into the jar, what I was spending on the smokes.  My deal was that if I smoked even one cigarette, I had to donate the money to somewhere and start over.  Once that jar got up to a couple hundred dollars, I was good to go.  Also, I didn't stop drinking or going out with my friends, those were total triggers and it helped to face them when I was full of enthusiasm earlier, rather than testing myself later.  Keep busy, go for a short walk when you want a smoke, and buy a bag of dumdums, those little suckers. 

I am excited for you!  You are going to feel great and have lots more money!  Yeah!

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2012, 03:07:57 AM »
Recently my boyfriend John walked into the convenience store to buy a pack of cigarettes and came out empty-handed.  The price had finally gotten too high and he quit cold turkey.  It has been several months and he still tallys up his savings-to-date every week or so...plus he does feel alot better physically.  I would like to share some of Darrell's tips for cravings and the website that Erin recommended with him.  He seems to be having trouble with cravings when he's with friends that still smoke.  Good luck to you all!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2012, 08:32:56 AM »
I'm rooting for those trying to quit too! 

I smoked from age 13-31 - crazy, eh?  Had made a couple of half-hearted attempts to quit cold turkey, but never lasted long.  Then I decided to try weaning down.  Very.Slowly.  First went from 1 pack a day to half a pack, which just meant I couldn't smoke two cigarettes in a row, and had to space them out a bit.  That wasn't too onerous, and didn't take much adjustment.  Although I did quickly notice that I had more money in my wallet at the end of the week than I was used to.  A month or so later I took it down further - 6, I think?  Which was much more of a stretch but still allowed me to smoke at my "usual" times.  I was never an early morning smoker, but had gotten into the habit of a smoke before starting work - I had to cut out that one, plus my after work and post commute home smokes.  So it became: mid-morning break, lunch, afternoon break, then 3 left to get me through the evening.  After several weeks I dropped the morning break, then the afternoon break, and eventually got down to 2 smokes a day, both in the evening.  Late evening was my weakest time, so I reserved those 2 smokes for then.  Occasionally if out with friends and drinking I would allow myself 1 extra to have a smoke while with them.  And then I stayed there for literally months before feeling ready to stop for good and never go back.  Because I know (even now) that if I would have one drag on a cigarette, it would not take long for me to be back to smoking full time.  I had to not need it at all anymore before I could quit totally.  It's been 10 years and although I've had cravings, they are very manageable because I broke my triggers off one by one.

Bottom line, I am a big fan of weaning off rather than cold turkey.  It worked for my psychology, where denial triggers rebelliousness, but "just holding out a little longer" is easy.  And carolinakaren's boyfriend's strategy of tallying up savings to date is also very helpful to reinforce the forward momentum!  When I hit my one year anniversary of quitting, I went out and bought myself a treat - jewellery!  Except instead of buying actual jewellery, I bought good quality supplies - real gold chain and findings and some nice carnelian - to make myself a set of earrings and bracelets.  Lovely!

ErinG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2012, 05:11:09 PM »
We're here for independence. Freedom. I think this particular article illustrates the self induced slavery of my addiction: http://www.whyquit.com/whyquit/joelcigfriend.html

I'm a smoker which means I am a friggin DRUG ADDICT and MENTALLY ILL!
http://whyquit.com/pr/041210.html

I did this to myself and I will take responsibility for my recovery. I can immediately arrest the progression of this debilitating and deadly disease by accepting withdrawal as healing and that is EXACTLY what I will do. Each craving will be a gift to myself of health and wealth, KNOWING that the cravings will diminish and disappear as my health and wealth do the opposite.

There is nothing I could do that would have ANYWHERE near the positive impact that quitting smoking will have. THIS is the most important thing, the best thing, the most self-loving thing I can possibly do.

I have been smoking 7% of my gross pay. How's that for disgusting? I've been doing it almost my whole life. Well, I am not disgusting....I'm awesome and I deserve this and only I can give this to myself.
*crying*

I'm ready. This is clarity and I'm seizing it. This feeling, these thoughts, this truth, they are precious and worth a million dollars. I will hold tight to this fortune.

Darrell

« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2012, 12:08:33 AM »
Hello to this thread :)

KulshanGirl: thank you for the words of encouragement, I definitely appreciate them! They felt like a hug ... thanks.

Carolinakaren: Thank you for the wishes and I too will be marking down the savings-to-date starting on the 27th. My plan is use my online banking to take $15.00 a day from the chequing account and drop it into our savings account. At the end of November I plan to take the $525.00 and move it into my TFSA - I know that each day I do this I'll be building my "badassity" and growing my 'stache ... two birds with one stone!

PJ: I really can identify with your comment "where denial triggers rebelliousness" ... I have always had this as a major part of my psyche and I know that this is something I have to be very cognizant of while I do this. I also like the one year anniversary reward idea ... an acknowledgement ... I'll have to put some thought into this. Thanks

ErinG: my fellow combatant! I'm with you all the way on this. I really love your attitude and depth of feeling and I KNOW that we will win this battle. Thank you for joining me on this fight ... and my family thanks you also! Teamwork! Sharing! Empathy! You are not alone on this ... and you are with me on this! Thank you again.

I'm down to 10 a day as of today and I'm aiming for 8 by Friday and then 6 for next Monday. D-day approaches!

Just another quick note: one of my all-time favourite movies is "Michael" starring John Travolta. There is a early scene where Michael notices a bull in a roadside field where they (Michael and the others) have stopped on their travels. The next thing you know, Michael is in the field and squaring off with the bull. As he runs at the bull, and as the bull steamrolls at him, snorting steam from his nostrils, you hear Michael yelling out "BATTLE". After they meet in a tremendous crash, the bull is dazed and confused and Michael walks away ... he wins! This is how I'm looking at the habit of mine: a battle that I will win! "BATTLE"

I'll check in here on this tread more often. Thanks again to all.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2012, 02:57:21 PM »
ErinG, if you would like it, I'm offering a great big virtual ((((hug)))) to you!  Thank you for being so vulnerable here and like Darrell, I'm inspired by it.  You are right, this is the most important thing you can do for yourself right now.  Not only will it make a dramatic difference in your finances but it is probably your greatest risk factor for a number of health issues too.  Double motivation, right???  For me, the battle with smoking is over but there are other areas that I need to be taking care of my present and future self better, and you've inspired me to work harder in those areas. 

Darrell, when it comes to addiction, knowing yourself is SO important.  Sounds like you've got great insight into your psyche and that is a weapon in your arsenal. 

Darrell

« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2012, 08:12:03 PM »
So ... nothing much new. Still gearing up for the upcoming D-day. I've had 8 cigs today ... and will have two / three more before bed. I need to start using my Nicorette Mist more often now - no excuses but I started a new job this past Monday and while it is quite exciting to be back in the workforce it is a bit stressful. I know that I could easily backslide but if I keep the goal front and centre than I WILL SUCCEED. I'm going to try for only 9 smokes tomorrow and use the inhaler more when needed - this will be the first time I've gone under ten a day so that in itself is going to be my goal for tomorrow. By this Friday I hope to drop a couple of more and then by this coming Monday I hope to be down to six. Take care everyone ... I'll check in again tomorrow night.

ErinG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2012, 03:50:57 PM »
Same here. I got my "quit" packet in the mail today. I am still on board! I haven't made it to 0 cigs yet. Will be 0 - It's coming!!!

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2012, 05:06:41 PM »
ErinG and Darrell - You two are awesome!  Nothing else that anyone here is doing is as important or difficult as this.  You guys have my admiration and support!  Cheers to your health and vitality and budgets!  I will be following along.  :)

Darrell

« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2012, 10:49:56 PM »
Hi ErinG and KulshanGirl ... thanks for being here. I cherish the support. I didn't make it to nine today ... I'm off to bed as soon as I finish this and today I had 11 cigs. Tomorrow (Friday) ... I'm aiming for ten or less (trying to keep the daily goal a bit "looser"). I find myself getting a bit anxious over this goal of quitting completely but I believe that that is normal for me - to be feeling this - and it is countered completely when I remember my goals that I laid out in my first post of this thread - so I accept the anxiety and get ready to face-punch it down if it tries to grow too big for it's britches! Focus, focus, focus. Keep both eyes on the goal ... take the good thoughts of others gracefully and gratefully ... whip out and use the inhaler ... use it all and we will win.

From ErinG's post: Will be 0 - It's coming!!! YES ... I feel this too. Thanks all, good-night ... and see you tomorrow eh. :)

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2012, 12:06:38 PM »
Darrell, you should print out that post and keep it with you at all times to read when you are craving, it is a moving and eloquent summary of why you are doing this.  And ErinG, you have a post like that here as well.  Print THAT one out and keep it on you.

And when you get to zero/D-day, you are no longer quitting smoking.  You HAVE STOPPED smoking.  :)  Getting through cravings is hard work, but it gets better. 

I still highly recommend the bag of dumdums.  When a craving hits bad, pop one of those in and go outside on a quick walk and fill your lungs with good air.  Go to bed early if the cravings hit hard at night. 

I will try not to be too much of a cheering pollyanna annoyance.  I am just really excited for you guys. =D

Darrell

« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2012, 12:16:50 AM »
Hi all,

KulshanGirl: thanks for the idea ... and the kind words. I printed off my last post and made it into a small "card" .... not too sure if it will help but I like the idea of just keeping it with me for this last week. I can see using the words to wean myself off the Nicorette :) ... pull out the card instead of the inhaler!

I also want to mention that you are nowhere near a "cheering pollyanna annoyance" ... I asked this thread for help and you have taken up this challenge! A complete stranger ... but now no longer ... like a pen-pal you are becoming a friend! Thanks ... and my family thanks you also (I share with them what is happening with this thread) ... they are my rock-solid support, and you and the others here are my cyber-support ... and all I had to do was ask! It is amazing to ponder.

Today I had 9 smokes ... first time gone under 10 in years and years. The puffer got used more as the tool that it is supposed to be (and again, it does work - I crave, I mist, 60 seconds later the craving subsides and I move on) ... today I started to carry  it in the same pocket that I have my pack of cigs (before I had it in another pocket) so when I had the desire and grabbed for the smokes I immediately felt the inhaler also and so I used it more. What a simple "trick" and it worked!

I'm aiming for 8 - 9 smokes tomorrow, and then 7 -8 on Sunday, and 6 - 7 by Monday. This coming Friday is D-day and I will STOP SMOKING (and yes this is a cyber YELL). I'm going to be back tomorrow to log my day ... I like making it a record. Thanks MMM and Mrs MM for the forum. Good-night.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2012, 10:03:36 AM »

Today I had 9 smokes ... first time gone under 10 in years and years. The puffer got used more as the tool that it is supposed to be (and again, it does work - I crave, I mist, 60 seconds later the craving subsides and I move on) ... today I started to carry  it in the same pocket that I have my pack of cigs (before I had it in another pocket) so when I had the desire and grabbed for the smokes I immediately felt the inhaler also and so I used it more. What a simple "trick" and it worked!

Well done, both on the 9 day and the clever trick to help you make better use of the inhaler! 

Darrell

« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2012, 11:50:11 PM »
Hi .... so I've had 8 so far today ... maybe I'll have another before the days' end ... or maybe not. Today was a very laid-back and quiet day around my home. My wife and kids were involved in the high-schools annual volleyball tournament and were absent from 8 am until 10 pm. I spent my day reading, playing around with Apache's OpenOffice  "Calc" program (building a grocery price-book to track our food expenses - the spread-sheet is coming along nicely and I learnt about drop-down menus and indexing ... very basic I know but still new to me) and listening to some old classics from Queen, Muddy Waters, the 'Stones, Bonnie Raitt, Mavis Staples, Holly Cole, etc. It was a great day ... even managed to "squeeze" in an afternoon nap with our old cat "Smokie" keeping me company. Relative to this thread, the cats' name is mildly ironic don't you think? But it's because she's a nice gun-metal grey colour with some white highlights :) ... anyways, I can hear my pillows whispers calling me (I love my pillow - weird eh?) So, g'night all. 'Till tomorrow.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2012, 10:36:57 AM »
Song for Darrell and ErinG! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyggY_R3jU8

=D  You guys are really rockin' so far.  Keep at it! 

ErinG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »
I'm down to 10 and stuck there. I am going to slap a patch on quit day and smoke NO MORE. I'm glad you guys are here. Counting down......

Darrell

« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2012, 06:40:47 PM »
Hey forum ...

Thanks for the link KulshanGirl! That song is apropos ... and I can totally remember the hair! Funny stuff ... now I'm going to have an "earworm" for the rest of the evening!

So far today I've had 7 ... and hopefully will only have one more before calling it a day (still about 6 hours to go). My inhaler is getting a work-out though ... still relying on it quite a bit. Still ... to have gone from 25 a day 12 days ago to 7-8 today ... that's progress!

ErinG ... I also had a block when it came to 10. To break 10 is doable! I like thinking that a pack now lasts me three days ... and I'll be buying my last pack tomorrow evening. I too am glad that you're here - working HARD on this task. Entering "Final Countdown" ... talk to you tomorrow eh!

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2012, 10:09:45 PM »
I smoked on and off again for a year. Mostly on. 4 months in Italy made it so freaking easy and fun. That whole "Europeans and their cigarrettes thing".

I've mostly quit. I haven't bought a pack since the end of August. I've bummed around 4 cigarettes from friends since then. I guess some would argue that I haven't really quit.

But I'm close enough! For now at least. That's part of how I made myself quit/cut way back. I never say "I can't ever in my life smoke another cigarette." I don't make quitting a big deal. For a week or 2, I was really strict, but I've loosened up since then. Smoking every 3 weeks might not be quitting, but it's gotten me this far. Hopefully that'll turn into 6 weeks and then 3 months and then a year.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2012, 09:08:45 AM »
Song of the Day!  Oh cheesy 80's videos, I heart you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xmlb3ZRPuU

You are coming up on a landmark day!  Future you called, they say thank you!  You can dooo eeet!  :)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2012, 08:45:58 PM »
"This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Sorry about that." 

Apparently Canadians are not allowed to listen to that particular cheesy 80's song. 

But they can provide a cheering section for the brave soldiers in the fight against smoking.  Hope you're having a good day, with willpower growing by the second!

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2012, 08:58:37 PM »
What the heck, Canada!  It's "I'm On My Way" by the Proclaimers.  (I'm oon mah wee!)

I'm on my way from misery to happiness today (uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh)
I'm on my way from misery to happiness today (uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh)
I'm on my way to what I want from this world
And years from now you'll make it to the next world
And everything that you receive up yonder
Is what you gave to me the day I wandered

Darrell

« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2012, 10:16:39 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEzLTSF6XaU

Hi ... KulshanGirl ... with the link you gave I too was blocked and got the EMI dialogue. But, I googled the song and then clicked on the next youtube link and there it was! Great song ... actually own it (love 500 miles). Thanks for the lift!

My weaning program is still working fine ... but I've had some people say that I should be careful not to get "hooked" on the inhaler! The concern is that I'm just substituting one method of nicotine delivery for another ... and these comments only come from fellow smokers! I live in a small town (3500 people) and for the past couple of days I've been telling everyone I meet that I'm trying to quit ... I'm trying to build up a collection of support for my cause ... and today I told the owner of the store where I buy my habit that "this is my last ever pack that I'm going to buy". His response was not really all that supportive ... heh ... because he is going to be losing my daily contribution to his bottom-line BUT being the seller that he is he told me that when he quit smoking himself a few years back that he switched to gum, and he offered me a stick! That's kinda cool ... I appreciate fast-thinkers no matter what the situation.

Anyways, I have my last pack! D-day approaches (this Friday) and I'm getting those butterflies in my tummy that I always get whenever I try something new ... but it's all good! I getting ready ... going into battle ... and will beat this habit into the dirt where it belongs.

Thanks all here for the support.

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2012, 05:14:43 PM »
Unfortunately John has fallen off the wagon!  At first I think he just had a puff or two from a friend's cig, but this past week he even bought some cigarettes.... I hope he can remember how good he was feeling while not smoking and maybe quit again.  sigh.....
I hope you are all having better longevity with this challenge!

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2012, 05:52:14 PM »
Oooh, you guys are getting there now!  You can do it!  You can do it!  Sing it, Tom Petty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvlTJrNJ5lA

Darrell, I didn't use an inhaler or anything else when I quit, it seems like it'd be like having to quit twice, once for the cigs and once again for the helper.  That said, you should do exactly what works best for you and what will help you step down off of the cigarettes successfully.  Take all advice with a grain of salt, even mine, and just DON'T SMOKE, somehow, any how, every how.  :)

c

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2012, 08:28:15 PM »
I used to be a "pack a day" smoker. I haven't smoked in 9 years. Giving up was a stop and start sort of thing. It took a few tries, but I did it and now I can't even remember what it was like to want to smoke.

Best of luck to everyone who wants to give up, it's totally possible and you'll do it!

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2012, 05:17:29 PM »
In this corner, we have DARRELL and ERING ...  superstars, champions, warriors, friends!   Let's get ready to rrrrrrumble!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSMxY6asoE

I know that tomorrow is the day for you, Darrell, and you're probably anxious!  It's the first step across a shaky bridge to the other side - a long shaky bridge - but the other side is here and each day will bring you closer if you keep pointed this way.   See me waaaayyyyy over here?!  I am hopping up and down like a big dork.  :)   

ErinG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2012, 05:24:51 PM »
I'm still on board!! Anxious, but ready. Thanks for all the support!
I'll report back tomorrow night unless I go straight to bed, (may resort to this tactic).

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2012, 05:30:03 PM »
Yeah ErinG!  =D

Can I make a suggestion?  When you two get to that last cigarette, instead of smoking it ... grind it under your shoe and give a whoop. 

Darrell

« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2012, 05:45:20 PM »
Hey hey ... still here and still planning on stopping tomorrow! Thanks for the visual KulshanGirl ... I can see you at the other end of the bridge. You're there with a lot of other people who are also cheering me on. I really appreciate all the support I and ErinG are getting here ... it definitely helps!

ErinG ... I'm anxious too, but I'm using the feeling. It's like getting psyched before doing something / anything new. I'm also planning my last smoke for just before going to bed tomorrow night and then using the inhaler the next morning if and when needed. I'm also planning on logging in here a few times to record the battle and get some cheers ... I'll see you here. And today I've had six ... probably one more before the end of the day. WE CAN DO THIS - I BELIEVE!

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: October 26, 2012, 11:04:15 AM »
Awesome song from an awesome scene in an awesome movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DJC-ECU8IE

And this too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw1P7gdtAeY

Because funk and disco are PROVEN to help you quit smoking.  :)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #130 on: October 26, 2012, 11:14:44 AM »
The big day's finally here! How's it going, guys?

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2012, 12:16:53 PM »
We're all here rooting for you guys! 

ErinG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: October 26, 2012, 05:12:27 PM »
I am about to kill somebody. I left work 2 hrs early. I caught my neighbor driving across my lawn AGAIN this morning. I yelled HEY at him and he looked straight at me and then he just drove off while I was approaching his car. I ran out to the sidewalk and flipped him the bird with both hands for at least a full 30 seconds until he was out of sight (to the great amusement of the neighbors on the other side). I spent my extra 2 hours after work harvesting boulders from my yard and woods and using a dolly to place them along the property line. I had reflective stakes out there, but they've all been driven over. I put the stakes back up to mark the rocks. I hope he decides to drive over the stakes again and hangs his car up. Seriously - I need a T-Shirt to warn people off of me. I told my husband when he got home that if the asshole has anything to say to me besides "I'm sorry" that he needs to give him an immediate tune up and not to worry 'cause I've got bail $$. POINT OF STORY: I don't know how much of this is nicotine related, but I've never been mad enough to move rocks that weigh as much as me or instruct my husband to assault someone. LOL LOL , laugh or cry. guess I'll laugh.
ANYWAYS, I'm looking forward to bed and another better day tomorrow.
I didn't put on a patch, like I said I was. I feel like I just want to kick this and get it over with.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2012, 05:42:11 PM »
Don't worry Erin, with all the money you'll be saving by not buying smokes, you will be able to afford the bail money! 

Bonus points for getting in shape with your new boulder workout while quitting smoking!  So many people end up putting on weight when they quit, but not you!  You're going to be a lean, mean, non-smoking machine! 

... psst, seriously, it doesn't matter how ugly the first few days look ... you won't actually kill anyone, and this won't kill you either ... this too shall pass, I promise!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:42:24 PM by PJ »

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2012, 05:46:29 PM »
ErinG is the poster child for BAD-Friggin-ASSITY today.  No patch and hauling boulders.  Imma go listen to Eye of the Tiger again.  :)

FI@2022Jem

• Stubble
« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »
Hi Darrell and Erin,
I just finished reacquainting myself with this thread and want to give you both some extra encouragement!  I am the person that mentioned the flavored toothpicks that worked for my husband (he says he likes the kind of 'burning' feeling- but in a good way-from the tea tree and cinnamon toothpicks).  I know that today is the Q day and want to add that I am another 'online stranger' rooting for you.
Best Wishes, Jennie

Darrell

« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2012, 08:13:47 PM »
Hello everyone .... D-day has arrived!

Man ... ErinG ... I wish I could channel some of your emotion! I'm sorry to hear of the situation itself but I'm seeing it as you have an actual, physical, dragon to slay. BATTLE (although I'm glad to hear that nobody was actually injured) ... what a way to vent some of this anxiety off.

Today was a very anxiety-charged day for me as well ... I kept looking at the time, hoping that the work-day would get over sooner so that I could get home ... where my real support is. I had three cigs left when I got home at 5 ... I made dinner ... laughed a bit with the family over their days events ... helped with the dishes ... and literally felt the anxiousness slowly deflate. I'm ready and I know it. I've had one more ... one left for just before bed ... and one to crush underfoot and do a little "happy dance" on. I'll go to sleep knowing that there will never be another smoke ... I'm staying positive and only thinking of the goals I laid out when I first joined this thread.

Thank you to all that have offered hints (Jennie - I have my peppermint toothpicks - thanks), and tips, and your stories of quitting. KulshanGirl you made me laugh when I needed a laugh - thank you for that and I'm thinking of you on the other side of the bridge, waving me on. One step at a time! Keep a steady eye on the prize ... man I'm full of cliches tonight :). I know that I'll be re-reading this thread numerous times over the next few days and drawing again from everyones contributions to our goal. I do plan on recording some of my thoughts / events / whatever that happen over the next little bit and I'll be hoping that you all will still be here ... offering some of that "mustachian" common-sense. Calling me out if I get too "complainpantsy" etc., ... Thank you all for sharing this ride.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2012, 08:45:03 PM »
Smoking doesn't stand a chance against you two!  Hope you've been practicing your victory dances!

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2012, 09:26:37 PM »
PJ!  That dancing Elaine just made me spit cider out my nose.  LOL! *snort*

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2012, 10:14:14 PM »
Oops!  Sorry about that, KulshanGirl!  Hope it didn't get on your keyboard ...

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2012, 08:15:06 AM »
Keyboard survived.  Hehe.  That still cracks me up.

Song of the day, if this doesn't make you smile, his outfit sure will! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkwJ-g0iJ6w

Edit to add:  It's well into the afternoon now ....  I hope Erin G hasn't set her neighbor's car ablaze and Darrell hasn't chewed through all of his toothpicks.  Keep breathing!  We're cheering! 

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 04:29:57 PM by KulshanGirl »

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2012, 05:46:28 PM »
Love that song, KulshanGirl! 

Music/soundtrack trivia - that one is on the Grosse Pointe Blank soundtrack. 

Erin and Darrell, hope you're keeping on keeping on ...

Darrell

« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2012, 11:14:31 PM »
Day one ... well, that was a long day ... but successful! BATTLE! Made it through, with the help of the Nicorette mister which I had to use seven times. I'm glad I have the inhaler but still I need to use it less. So, tomorrow I'll fight the craving more with will and less with the crutch. At home I never smoked inside ... I would grab a book and go out onto the deck and read and puff, so the two acts were tied together for me. Today I just used the mist without going out to read. I have to change that up I think, since I didn't get to read today ... just kept busy. The best part of the day just ended ... playing hearts with my wife and kids. Lots of laughter (usually at my expense because I like to try to "shoot the moon" but I'm very rarely successful) So i lost ... typical ... sigh ... they have no pity for the old guy at all. :)

ErinG: I hope you are doing well also ... fighting the good fight eh?

Good-night all.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: October 27, 2012, 11:38:01 PM »
Darrell! 

Think about it though ... you've been having, what, 6 or 7 smokes a day, or more, plus using the mister sometimes in between, right?  So you used the mister only as much as you've been smoking, which is still a reduction.  With the mister, what you're doing is really continuing to wean, and that's totally cool - it's a proven strategy and slow but steady reduction has got you this far, right?  Try to keep it to the same frequency or less each day, and you'll keep winning the battles - which is how you'll win the war.  And I definitely think you need to build in some new routines, such as finding a new (inside) spot to read for a while.   

You can do this, hang in there!

FI@2022Jem

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2012, 12:15:45 PM »
Darrell,
That is AWESOME! congrats!

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2012, 12:40:13 PM »
Day one is behind you!  Way to go Darrell, that is a huge accomplishment!  You're on your way.  :)

And now, Classic Sesame Street presents... the Oinker Sisters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANQPlGmhAmA

(I love this song.  It's on my toddler's Big Bird's Dance Party DVD and I have this song stuck in my head pretty much all the time these days.  I've got a new way to walk, and it makes my spirit shine!)

Keep up the good work!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2012, 02:06:19 PM »
Hey there.  Just stopped by to offer you two a nice hot cup of

Darrell

« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2012, 11:46:23 PM »
Hi threadsters ... day two just wrapping up for me. I made it through! But I was a bit snarky today ... short tempered ... got called on it by my wife (she's the best). So I decided to do something I always like, something that always seems to calm me down, something that I get to share ... baking! Made my special apple & spice muffins (use melted almond butter instead of oil) and they are so good! Making these gems gave me time to think ... I was being bitchy because I thought I had the perfect excuse to be so - wrong! Anyways ... the toothpicks are working, they give me something to do other that just hitting the mist (used the mist about the same as yesterday). Now it's time to head off to bed. Night all.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2012, 09:20:10 AM »
Ah, that snarky/bitchiness - give yourself some gentle premission for a little of that, your body is purging all kinds of toxins and it's not just your mood.  That's a tough transition on your body and it'll manifest in some cranky.

That said, congrats on day TWO behind you.  I don't know if your weekdays offer a different set of distractions from your weekends, but I hope that your Monday battle is glorious! 

Erin G, I know you're rockin' it too! 

Now I must go and find an anthem for the day!  LOL!  (If the links are bugging you, just say so and I'll just hum to myself.)

Edited to add:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRdxUFDoQe0

HEEEEEEEEE- hee.  *moonwalk*

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:31:44 AM by KulshanGirl »

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2012, 10:57:55 AM »
Well I for one am enjoying the links, KulshanGirl! 

Erin and Darrell, keep on keeping on!