Author Topic: Post Military Job Seekers: Find a Job continued  (Read 3715 times)

Dragonstrike

• Stubble
Post Military Job Seekers: Find a Job continued
« on: April 24, 2016, 01:53:56 AM »
Here's a continuation of the "Find a Job" thread, and as suggested, here is the military edition.

Basically, let's track everyone's progress and see if our fellow battle buddies can enable each other to become successful post military.

To start, about me:

Currently military.  On year 5 of my 6 year contract.  Will ETS January 2018, earlier with leave and transition early release (3-8 months) if cards are played right.

Skills: Korean and Japanese Language (both rusty), Clearance level for government intelligence field,
Education: Bachelors in Criminal Justice, Minor in Japanese, Associates Degree in Korean Studies, Military Training

I'm hoping to transition next year into another field of study/government job/etc.  Currently researching my options, but I would love to remain on Oahu, Hawaii due to the beautiful nature and open community here. 

I'm looking into something after military along the lines of either going back to school to get a degree (finance maybe?), or pick up a trade skill that will pay well.  Also looking into getting my NASM certification for personal training, since I love working out in a gym and helping others better themselves. Also thought about getting a degree in sports medicine and nutrition or something that will help in that sense.

I want to get vested in rental properties and crafting at some point as well.  Not really sure what I can do for government jobs in Hawaii other than what I do but just in the civilian side of things.

Looking into speaking to career counselors in the civilian sector, army education center workers, and when I outprocess going into transition programs to get a better understanding for jobs. Also thinking about taking a myers briggs test to help determine my personality and what I like.

Anyone with suggestions or advice will be much welcome for the group!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
Re: Post Military Job Seekers: Find a Job continued
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 06:08:52 AM »
Currently military.  On year 5 of my 6 year contract.  Will ETS January 2018, earlier with leave and transition early release (3-8 months) if cards are played right.

Skills: Korean and Japanese Language (both rusty), Clearance level for government intelligence field,
Education: Bachelors in Criminal Justice, Minor in Japanese, Associates Degree in Korean Studies, Military Training

I'm hoping to transition next year into another field of study/government job/etc.  Currently researching my options, but I would love to remain on Oahu, Hawaii due to the beautiful nature and open community here. 
You know you're in the window now, right?  Attend your service's transition assistance program and figure out your local resources.  Your languages give you plenty of options (as rusty as they may be) In the visitor industry, and you're in a good place to transition to federal civil service or contractor.

I'm looking into something after military along the lines of either going back to school to get a degree (finance maybe?), or pick up a trade skill that will pay well.  Also looking into getting my NASM certification for personal training, since I love working out in a gym and helping others better themselves. Also thought about getting a degree in sports medicine and nutrition or something that will help in that sense.
One very popular option is affiliating with the National Guard (or the ANG) or your service's Reserve forces.  Then use your GI Bill to attend your college courses (or your certification training) during the first couple years. 

One benefit of the Reserve/Guard service is networking your next career.  While you're drilling (or on your two weeks of active duty) you'll find plenty of contractor or civil service positions.  Your co-workers are also getting to know you, and they may point you to additional contacts.  This is especially effective if you're working at a large military command like PACOM, ARPAC, PACAF, or PACFLT.  Up to a third of their active-duty billets are gapped (perhaps permanently) and they fill in with Reserve/contract labor.

Start talking to your base gym and personal trainers now.  You might be able to do some of your certification work while you're still on active duty, and at the very least you'll get a feel for the routine and the income.  I think Hawaii offers plenty of outdoor activities to help boost your choices.

I want to get vested in rental properties and crafting at some point as well. 
It's very capital-intensive because of the high cost of land/materials.  One option would be starting tiny by buying a smaller property (your primary residence) and renting out a room via AHRN or MilitaryByOwner. 

I think the main advantage of Hawaii real estate is owning/controlling your own business, especially if you're going to leverage that with mortgage debt.  However a passively-managed equity index fund will offer a higher return with minimal risk. 

Looking into speaking to career counselors in the civilian sector, army education center workers, and when I outprocess going into transition programs to get a better understanding for jobs. Also thinking about taking a myers briggs test to help determine my personality and what I like.
You can start all of those now by talking to your base's transition program facilitators.  I'm pretty sure you'll find the Myers-Briggs test at the college-planning office, as well as plenty of other self-assessment and discovery software. 

But get started now-- you're in the window and further delay will just compress your timing...

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 07:33:56 AM »
Dragonstrike, Nords also posted very useful info on the Military FI thread in Ask a Mustachian.

Dragonstrike

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 10:13:46 AM »
Also consider state jobs. Most have Veteran's Preference and many also allow buy-back of your military time to add years of service to their state pension plans depending on the agency you hire on with. When I got out of the service (Coast Guard) I got a job with Calif and my agency had both. Many state's allow you to retire and get a pension earlier than the Feds (especially in LE, and public safety jobs) and often require fewer years to vest. Your security clearances will be deactivated once out of the service but they usually can be reactivated easily with 2 years without requiring a full investigation if required for a government job (state or fed) or to work for a government contractor. Most Defense contractors require at least a DoD Secret clearance but many require  TS/SCI (both much harder to get) so make sure and get a civilian job within 2 years if those are required. For myself - I was enlisted and came out with clearances and a BS in Criminal Justice (and working on a environmental science degree) and got a job with the state in an LE field asap.

What is the LE field?  And its funny, it seems like I will be in your similar situation when I get out.  I didn't think about state jobs, so I will look into that, thanks!

Dragonstrike

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 10:18:34 AM »

You know you're in the window now, right?  Attend your service's transition assistance program and figure out your local resources.  Your languages give you plenty of options (as rusty as they may be) In the visitor industry, and you're in a good place to transition to federal civil service or contractor.

One very popular option is affiliating with the National Guard (or the ANG) or your service's Reserve forces.  Then use your GI Bill to attend your college courses (or your certification training) during the first couple years. 

One benefit of the Reserve/Guard service is networking your next career.  While you're drilling (or on your two weeks of active duty) you'll find plenty of contractor or civil service positions.  Your co-workers are also getting to know you, and they may point you to additional contacts.  This is especially effective if you're working at a large military command like PACOM, ARPAC, PACAF, or PACFLT.  Up to a third of their active-duty billets are gapped (perhaps permanently) and they fill in with Reserve/contract labor.

Start talking to your base gym and personal trainers now.  You might be able to do some of your certification work while you're still on active duty, and at the very least you'll get a feel for the routine and the income.  I think Hawaii offers plenty of outdoor activities to help boost your choices.

I want to get vested in rental properties and crafting at some point as well. 
It's very capital-intensive because of the high cost of land/materials.  One option would be starting tiny by buying a smaller property (your primary residence) and renting out a room via AHRN or MilitaryByOwner. 

I think the main advantage of Hawaii real estate is owning/controlling your own business, especially if you're going to leverage that with mortgage debt.  However a passively-managed equity index fund will offer a higher return with minimal risk. 

You can start all of those now by talking to your base's transition program facilitators.  I'm pretty sure you'll find the Myers-Briggs test at the college-planning office, as well as plenty of other self-assessment and discovery software. 

But get started now-- you're in the window and further delay will just compress your timing...

I have 20 months to go now, and I hit my transition window at 18 months to be eligible to go to the Soldier for Life transition program (formerly known as ACCAP).

And I will be actively seeking out people in the fitness fields in order to determine what I need to do exactly to get hired.  I know pay won't be the best, but I'll be aiming to balance that with other types of work to even it out. My first goal is to see if the Army will pay for me through Tuition Assistance options to get my NASM online certification.

As far as military goes after my contract, I'm done with that part of my life.  I've had too many bad experiences to make me ever sign those contracts again.  That, and I'm tired of working with the people I know who have continuously brought a toxic level of atmosphere to a job that could have otherwise been great.

Again, thanks for your help.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 07:05:48 PM »
As far as military goes after my contract, I'm done with that part of my life.  I've had too many bad experiences to make me ever sign those contracts again.  That, and I'm tired of working with the people I know who have continuously brought a toxic level of atmosphere to a job that could have otherwise been great.
The only suggestion I have here is to be aware of "grass is greener" syndrome. 

In general, the Reserve/Guard is an opportunity to do the things that you enjoy about the military, with the camaraderie and the culture you already know, and with much more control over where & when.  It's worth your time to find some Reserve/Guard servicemembers (especially on Oahu, and most especially in the Air National Guard) and ask them about their experiences.

It's also a mistake to assume that the toxic people are only in the military.  You may encounter plenty of toxic people in other careers, and some of them may even be your clients. 

If you gather the additional data and it doesn't change your mind, then you're good.  But if you proceed with those assumptions implied in your quote (and you skip the additional research) then you're missing an opportunity.

CP842

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 09:08:06 AM »
Are there still transitioning military members/Veterans looking for work here?  I strongly recommend that you visit your local Workforce Center, as there are "Vet Employment Reps" there that work one-on-one with eligible transitioning service members/Veterans free of charge to assist in finding gainful employment.