Author Topic: Planting/Growing Your Own...The Garden Thread  (Read 248530 times)

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Re: Planting/Growing Your Own...The Garden Thread
« Reply #250 on: June 29, 2014, 10:05:21 AM »
My thoughts in squash borers:

I read that injecting with BT will protect them.  One year I painstakingly and laboriously injected all my squash.  Didn't make a bit of difference. 

I had good luck last year putting row covers on my zucchini and cucmber.  I bought seeds that didn't need to cross pollinate (the other option is to pollinate by hand).  I had to remove the row covers about when they were ready to pick, so the borers still got them eventually, but it extended that time by quite a bit.  But it was a lot if work, so this year I skipped the row covered and we will see what happens. 

Burying the stems does work, but it can be tough, because the stems do not always grow in cooperative directions, so you are wrestling uh is big prickly plant while trying not to break the stems.  Still this is probably the easiest thing to do, and it makes a difference if you do it early and often. 

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #251 on: June 29, 2014, 04:51:08 PM »
Do any of you weigh out what you gather? It's kinda silly how excited I get about a whopping 39g of peas, but they're MY peas :P

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #252 on: June 29, 2014, 04:54:53 PM »
Do any of you weigh out what you gather? It's kinda silly how excited I get about a whopping 39g of peas, but they're MY peas :P

I weighed last year for the first time. It was interesting (over 30 pounds of sweet potatoes!), but this year I am not going to bother. I went all out and calculated the value of the food based on local prices as well. Maybe down the road I will give it a shot again.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #253 on: June 29, 2014, 05:51:22 PM »
I tell myself I will weigh, but in reality I harvest once or twice a day, and it would be way too much work.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #254 on: June 30, 2014, 08:08:40 AM »
I only weigh individual vegetables if they look exceptionally large.  Hoping to break the 2# mark with a tomato someday!

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #255 on: July 04, 2014, 08:44:32 AM »
I'm now known as Farmer Bob at work.  One asked how many acres I own (about 1/4).  My coworkers flee before me as I pursue them with zucchini, yellow squash, and cucumbers.   They also enjoyed the asparagus, basil, and romaine lettuce.
In August it will be Asian pears. 

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #256 on: July 04, 2014, 11:54:58 AM »
My cherry tomato was root-bound in a 5 gal bucket on June 1st, so I cut the bottom off and set it in a full 10 gal pot.  I thought that would be way too big for it and I would be fine all season.  Little did I know!  As of a few days ago the plant is root-bound in the full 15 gal, and is taking between 1 and 2 gallons of water per day.  It's about 5 feet tall, and I've managed to keep the footprint round by tying it up but it's still about 6 feet wide and 4 feet deep.  I just did a spot count and stopped at 100 cherry tomatoes.  I would estimate there are somewhere around 130-150 on the plant right now, and at least that many new flowers open, plus new growth still coming.  This is after killing half the growth by over spraying neem in mid June!  I can't imagine what I would be dealing with if it was in a bigger pot and I didn't stunt it so hard!

My other tomato is a "black krim" I bought as a start at the nursery.  It's doing well, but the vines are  growing too close together.  Tomatoes are pressed up against between some of the vines.  I am trying to separate them gently but so far no luck!  Oh well plenty of good fruit setting on the outside anyway.

Also am growing two peppers, one larger Serrano type and one tiny Thai pepper, both are setting on well.  Rosemary is getting quite large, my chamomile had given me a lot of tea and continues to produce.  The Thyme plant I got never set well in it's pot and is dying.  I think I'll let it sit out the summer.. it looks better than an empty pot at this point.  In the fall when I rip the annuals to overwinter Kale I will rip that one as well.

Nancy

« Reply #257 on: July 12, 2014, 06:20:48 AM »
Awesome! You grow/make chamomile tea? What an excellent idea!

My cherry tomatoes are ripening. The plant is quite large at the moment. Broccoli florets came up beautifully and taste delicious. We have four large bags of lettuce in the fridge that we're giving to family. Carrots should be big enough next week. Peas are super tasty, but the plants are turning yellow.  I'm not sure if it's because that section gets over watered by my garden plot neighbor and doesn't drain well, or if it's diseased and should be yanked.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #258 on: July 12, 2014, 08:50:22 AM »
Peas usually die this time of year.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #259 on: July 12, 2014, 09:29:18 AM »
Leave some pods on the plant to dry and save seed for next year.  They're cool season crops, so like Goblin says, they're all done.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #260 on: July 12, 2014, 01:46:35 PM »
Leave some pods on the plant to dry and save seed for next year.  They're cool season crops, so like Goblin says, they're all done.

Or pull them now and use a dehydrator on low (95F) to dry the seed out. That way you can get use out of the planting space faster.

I haven't tried this myself yet but several books have specified using food dehydrators, even the cheapy $10 thrift shop ones, for seed drying/saving.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #261 on: July 12, 2014, 10:15:41 PM »
Awesome! You grow/make chamomile tea? What an excellent idea!

Thank you!  I do grow them.  It's easy!  Simple soil, good sun, and steady water.  As far as "make" it, I put it in a clay plate on a window sill.  When it's dry I crumble by hand in to a glass and let steep.  Thank you for your interest!!

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #262 on: July 12, 2014, 10:20:48 PM »
My cherry tomatoes are ripening. The plant is quite large at the moment. Broccoli florets came up beautifully and taste delicious. We have four large bags of lettuce in the fridge that we're giving to family. Carrots should be big enough next week. Peas are super tasty, but the plants are turning yellow.  I'm not sure if it's because that section gets over watered by my garden plot neighbor and doesn't drain well, or if it's diseased and should be yanked.

As others have said peas die naturally this time of year.  Your tomatoes will do well, fertilize when the bottom leave turn yellow (plant is cannibalizing itself).  Peas are done.  Rip them up to make room for your tomatoes and squash. 

Nancy

« Reply #263 on: July 13, 2014, 07:51:09 AM »
Right on! I'll take care of that today. Thanks very much!!

puglogic

• Stubble
« Reply #264 on: July 19, 2014, 01:07:08 PM »
I started a medicine garden this year, in addition to my regular veggies, fruit trees and berries.   We don't do a lot of store-bought medicine, but we take things like chamomile and valerian (to help me sleep), echinacea (I make a cold preventative extract out of it), scullcap, st. john's wort (mood), feverfew (headaches) etc.   They're expensive to buy, so I planted a bed full of medicinals this year just to see what happens.  Doing well so far!  Take THAT, big pharma.

If you are in Colorado or any other cold/higher altitude place and want to grow tomatoes, I'd suggest keeping this site bookmarked for next year:  http://www.pennandcordsgarden.com/mountain-seeds-for-sale.html    I bought starts from Penn and they are incredibly vigorous.  We also buy organic seed potatoes and planting garlic from Colorado sources, and most of our vegetables from http://seedstrust.com .  They are all acclimated to our ridiculous growing conditions, and so do better.

avonlea

« Reply #265 on: July 19, 2014, 01:31:39 PM »
Peas usually die this time of year.

I agree with you.  Our garden timeline has been a little off this year since we had a long winter and also have had a pretty mild summer.  We decided to plant later than usual this spring and just started harvesting our peas a couple of weeks ago. Next week we are supposed to have normal July weather, so those plants probably won't last much longer.

puglogic

• Stubble
« Reply #266 on: July 19, 2014, 01:36:36 PM »
I started a medicine garden this year, in addition to my regular veggies, fruit trees and berries.   We don't do a lot of store-bought medicine, but we take things like chamomile and valerian (to help me sleep), echinacea (I make a cold preventative extract out of it), scullcap, st. john's wort (mood), feverfew (headaches) etc.   They're expensive to buy, so I planted a bed full of medicinals this year just to see what happens.  Doing well so far!  Take THAT, big pharma.

If you are in Colorado or any other cold/higher altitude place and want to grow tomatoes, I'd suggest keeping this site bookmarked for next year:  http://www.pennandcordsgarden.com/mountain-seeds-for-sale.html    I bought starts from Penn and they are incredibly vigorous.  We also buy organic seed potatoes and planting garlic from Colorado sources, and most of our vegetables from http://seedstrust.com .  They are all acclimated to our ridiculous growing conditions, and so do better.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #267 on: July 21, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »
Yesterday's harvest.  Good year for potatoes - not shown are the 5 or so # of Yukon golds I plucked off the other day because they were too close to the surface and threatening to turn green.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #268 on: July 21, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »
Just discovered the tree in our backyard is a pear tree!  We were contemplating cutting the ugly thing down, but (IMO) it's been saved by the appearance of about 4-5 fruit.  My husband is less convinced by this.

Unfortunately, I planted cilantro super late, and it's now producing, but starting to bolt.  Made gauc last night with it, and plan to use more tonight in a tomato shrimp avocado salad.  Used first basil with caprese this weekend, mmm.  Have a bruschetta chicken recipe up later this week.  Both were planted with seeds and it's surprisingly exciting to watch a plant grow from nothing.  Before I just bought a basil plant at the store (until I killed it) and bought cilantro bunches.

Just need the tomatoes to turn ripe, before my husband is impatient enough to pick early.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #269 on: July 21, 2014, 02:07:52 PM »
I don't think I'll have any tomatoes until August or September, but we're entering the holy crap zucchini season. We've had a good deal of sautéed ones, but finally have enough glut to make bread. I may try some zucchini pickles as well.

My goblins are excited because our Triple Treat pumpkin vines have one pumpkin already sizing up and two more female flowers which just bloomed.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #270 on: July 21, 2014, 02:15:16 PM »
Heh. They just found another one!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #271 on: July 22, 2014, 03:26:12 AM »
Winter garden here, although our winter is mild - record low temp is 6C. No frost. I do lose a lot of sunlight in winter due to the topography. Everything slows down. Last year, my first year of winter planting, pretty well nothing happened i.e.  I planted stuff and waited, and waited and waited and when the weather warmed up they started growing.
Doing a bit better this year. Garlic looks like its growing, potato onions looking good, the first of the succession planted silver beet is just about able to be harvested. First year trying cauliflower: no heads yet but plants are getting big, and some broccoli seedlings are nearly ready to plant out.  4 reasonable sized cos lettuce. Slugs/birds got the rest.

Have a polystyrene tray of  seedlings grown from seed : up til now not much consistent luck with growing from seed except for rocket. Exciting: a couple of minicaulis look big enough to plant out. The rest - coriander, lettuce, beets, beans still too small but at least germinated.

Deliberately planted kale seeds - did nothing. Dropped a pile of seed and  couldn't pick it all up: have a bunch of kale seedlings in the wrong spot.  Nature sometimes is stubbornly independent.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #272 on: July 22, 2014, 10:46:32 AM »
I got pretty pathetic germination on my last bunch of salad greens, but buttercrunch, cucumber, and seasonal fruit (currently tart cherries) makes a good salad on hot days when I'm not super hungry for lunch.

Homemade balsamic vinaigrette (basically 50/50 vinegar and oil) is the bees knees.

Any tips for salad greens? I know you usually broadcast sow it, but should I leave the seeds on surface and water in, or rake it lightly before watering?

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #273 on: July 22, 2014, 06:00:21 PM »
My tomatoes just aren't growing this year.  They look healthy enough, they just aren't getting any bigger.  They are in two separate raised beds.  One had my lettuce, kale, a few carrots, and the cherry tomato plants that were my winter-sowing experiment.  Usually cherry tomatoes get out of control in my garden, but these are about six inches tall, and that's where they're staying.  The other box had my peas, and I planted my Costco tomato plants in between them.  The peas are gone now, but the tomatoes are growing so slowly.   And the only fruit they are growing were already on the plant when I bought them.  Any ideas?  I just did some fertilizer spikes yesterday. 

swallowtail

« Reply #274 on: September 12, 2014, 02:01:06 PM »

This is really cool.  I had my first garden this year and grew calendula, chickweed, comfrey, mullein, skullcap, valerian, echinacea, and yarrow.  Some plants did better than others.  It is getting cold in the midwest - are you going to overwinter your plants, or have you been staying on top of making medicine so you are stocked for the winter?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #275 on: September 12, 2014, 04:02:20 PM »
Busy preparing beds for spring planting, and planting seeds. Finished the weeding yesterday. The tomato seedlings are up (just) in a tray indoors (there are quite a few more than I need, with more than 50), but none of the capsicums, eggplant, zucchini or pumpkin have come up yet (they always take longer). Planted carrot, asparagus, celery (first time ever) and lots of peas outside yesterday. Gradually transplanting the onion seedlings. Garlic is doing well. Rhubarb is just beginning to poke its head out of the ground. Most of the fruit trees are in blossom (the cherries and plums are about to burst, and the apricot is just about to finish), but no apples. Raspberries are beginning to put out leaves, and the hazlenut leaves are just out. The sour orange and grapefruit are ripe, and I am doing something with the lemons at the moment. Still eating carrots, beetroot, bok choy and silverbeet from the garden.

Waiting for Aldi to have cheap wooden raised garden beds so I can put some more in (about 5). The ones we put in last year worked extremely well - we made them twice as high, so they are 60cm (2 foot). They compacted by half over the year, so I have added a lot of stuff to 4 of them (the other 3 still have stuff growing in them, so I can't top them up yet).

Debating about the Brussels Sprouts. This is my first year with them, and none had little sprouts, just leaves. There are two sets - the ones with the leaves, and ones that appear to be just starting to have sprouts (tiny knobs that could start to be sprouts). Should I just pull the lot out? Or should I pull out the ones with leaves instead of sprouts, and leave the others in (isn't it a bit late for them to set)?

Has anyone grown perpetual spinach (it looks like silverbeet, but hasn't got the bitter white stalk, and tastes much nicer in my opinion)? Does it go to seed in spring like silverbeet, or does it last longer?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #276 on: September 12, 2014, 04:15:56 PM »
Has anyone grown perpetual spinach (it looks like silverbeet, but hasn't got the bitter white stalk, and tastes much nicer in my opinion)? Does it go to seed in spring like silverbeet, or does it last longer?

I hadn't heard of that one. For a gardener, I'm not a huge fan of most greens, to be honest, but spinach is one I like - but I need something that doesn't bolt in the summer. I'd been looking at New Zealand spinach (Tetragonia tetragonioides) for next year.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #277 on: September 13, 2014, 11:00:12 PM »
4alpacas, if you're not already a GardenWeb member, I'd recommend checking it out.  There's a forum for pretty much everything imaginable; the vegetable garden one is pretty active and has loads of info in the archive.  My favorite veggie gardening book is the Vegetable Gardener's Bible - can't think of the author's name off the top of my head, but it's a good beginning book.  In zone 9, you could be growing things like broccoli, cabbage, fava beans and spinach over the winter, and probably starting summer crops in like, January.  Lots of opportunity to feed yourself year round, but there's also potential for burnout, so keep it low maintenance to start out.

I just have to say HOLY CRAP when it comes to spaghetti squash.  I am going to be giving the stuff away to anyone who will take it.  Even with my dog lifting some immature fruits off the plant, I am going to have like, 25-30 squash by the time this thing is done, and some of them are way bigger than the ones from the grocery store.  This is just a single plant, or maybe two seedlings from the same pot, and it has gone rampant.

My new garden area on the south side of the house is proving to be fantastic for okra, eggplant and sweet potatoes.  The area is a total heat sink, and they have been cranking.  Mission of having enough okra to freeze for winter gumbo accomplished and then some. It's proved to be a bit too hot for one of my two hop varieties though, so I'll need to dig those up and rehome them to a less brutal environment after harvest is over.  Also getting unbelievable yields for the little 4' row of pole green beans, as in, gallon bags of them.  I think they're Emerite variety, and though they took a bit to get going, they are insanely productive now.

Tomatoes are all over the counter, and I've got orange and red bell peppers coming in finally, too.

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #278 on: September 14, 2014, 07:16:21 AM »
Horsepoor-- I'd take one of those spaghetti squashes were I about 2000 miles closer!  I've never grown them.  Going to shred some zucchini for the freezer and for some fritters later today, freeze some more bags of corn off the cob, and make more basil cubes to freeze.  Suddenly, it's 45 degrees in the mornings, a reminder of what's to come. 

Another few weeks and the garlic goes in.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #279 on: September 14, 2014, 08:00:50 AM »
Well, if you have the space, you can grow them!  They seem to be impervious to squash bugs, as the acorn squash I have planted right next to it has been mostly killed, and I see no signs of damage on the spaghetti.  This is my first time growing it, and I've been just shocked at how much it's produced; well over 100# by the time the season's done.  I need to ask my gardening coworkers if anyone's grown other winter squash and wants to do an exchange.

OTOH, watermelon have been a bust this year.  Got one ~4# melon from a variety that's supposed to grow 10# melons, and nothing from the other plant.  Might try them on the south side of the house next year if I can get enough compost added to the soil over there.

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #280 on: September 14, 2014, 08:12:28 AM »
I grow the "Sugar Baby" watermelon here as our growing season does not ripen the big ones in an average year.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #281 on: September 14, 2014, 08:27:28 AM »
From what I understand, melons in the north more or less require the use of black plastic mulch, or a permaculture heat sink. I'd think if the spot you're growing eggplants has extra space, the melons would do good there.

My own garden's looking pretty sad right now. Green beans mostly eaten by rabbits, cucumbers dying back, pumpkins already tilled in (mildew) but with 7-8 curing on the front steps. Broccoli that refuses to form heads. Tomatoes that were ripening (finally) until this last cold spell....

I *might* get ground cherries by frost. I started them really late. There's husks on the plants but the fruits are still babies as far as I can tell.

Sunflowers have fed the eager wildlife for the past week.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #282 on: September 14, 2014, 03:21:49 PM »
Spring is here in the southern hemisphere, and the garden is slowly picking up. Its not that cold here but I still haven't cracked getting much produce happening in winter. Currently potatoes coming up in a big no dig lasagne bed, silver beet is finally getting going, and the asparagus is producing. Caulis and broccoli have leaves but no heads: my first time growing so not sure what to expect.  Garlic is going well.  Young lemon tree is green but still no leaves - has been like that since the wallaby "pruned it" - hopefully it will come good now its spring. Planted out some tomato starts on the weekend.  Anxiously watching where I planted ginger and turmeric last season, hoping it will shoot soon and do well. Nasturtiums and fever few are now seeding all over.

Slow but steady.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #283 on: September 14, 2014, 10:16:12 PM »
From what I understand, melons in the north more or less require the use of black plastic mulch, or a permaculture heat sink. I'd think if the spot you're growing eggplants has extra space, the melons would do good there.

Nah, actually, Hermiston melons are pretty famous, and they're just a tough north of us. I had success with sugar bush baby melon and a hybrid cantaloupe last year, but I just need to leave them more space and remember that they don't compete with squash vines, which are ridiculous.  I probably will put them in the south side garden next year though, and feed more heavily.  Plenty of heat in the banana belt of Idaho.  :)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #284 on: September 15, 2014, 09:59:51 AM »
horsepoor, Thanks for the recommendation!  I joined GardenWeb, and I'll look into the book recommendation. 

Does anyone have advice for an inexpensive way to start composting?  I have a dog, so I was interested the containers (but not the $250 price tag). 

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #285 on: September 15, 2014, 10:06:07 AM »
horsepoor, Thanks for the recommendation!  I joined GardenWeb, and I'll look into the book recommendation. 

Does anyone have advice for an inexpensive way to start composting?  I have a dog, so I was interested the containers (but not the $250 price tag).

If it has to be in a container, modify a trash can (ideally galvanized steel) by drilling 1/4" aeration holes in it, similar to how you'd make a worm bin. I tried this with plastic, but rodents can chew through way too easily.

If you just want to keep the dog out, make a simple open frame with a hinged lid, then staple chicken wire or other metal mesh on all the sides. You'll get slightly better results that way, and can make it as big as you want.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: September 15, 2014, 10:18:19 AM »

If it has to be in a container, modify a trash can (ideally galvanized steel) by drilling 1/4" aeration holes in it, similar to how you'd make a worm bin. I tried this with plastic, but rodents can chew through way too easily.

If you just want to keep the dog out, make a simple open frame with a hinged lid, then staple chicken wire or other metal mesh on all the sides. You'll get slightly better results that way, and can make it as big as you want.
Thanks!  I'll have to discuss it with my DH.  He's not totally sold on my composting plans, and I think an open air reminder (or a dog that has rolled in compost) might be too much at this stage. 

swallowtail

« Reply #287 on: September 22, 2014, 08:09:59 AM »
Changing the topic slightly - what is everyone's gardening budget?  I have to do container gardening, so soil is always a cost, plus seeds, pesticides (I had a bad case of thrip & millipedes recently), containers, and I would eventually like to get grow lights for overwintering, and encouraging seedlings in the spring.  I am also a consumer sukka and want all the high quality hippie gardening products.  Do you just factor this into - well, I won't have to spend money on food / medicinal products / another hobby? 

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: September 22, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »
Any cheap tips for stopping a groundhog from eating mums?  The mums were pretty cheap so we don't want to buy a spray that cost more than the mums themselves, but if there's a cheap household product (vinegar?) I could put on to disuade our local groundhog, that would be awesome.

cambridgecyclist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #289 on: September 22, 2014, 10:59:14 AM »
Changing the topic slightly - what is everyone's gardening budget?  I have to do container gardening, so soil is always a cost, plus seeds, pesticides (I had a bad case of thrip & millipedes recently), containers, and I would eventually like to get grow lights for overwintering, and encouraging seedlings in the spring.  I am also a consumer sukka and want all the high quality hippie gardening products.  Do you just factor this into - well, I won't have to spend money on food / medicinal products / another hobby?

It can be challenging to making a rational financial case for spending any significant amount of money on gardening products. In 2013, I just added all gardening-related costs to my monthly grocery budget. Last year I ended up slightly underwater with the costs of gardening supplies added in -- part of this was the cost of a micro-irrigation system ($77), which saves a lot of time but isn't strictly necessary -- but this should last several seasons and resulted in healthier plants so in the long run it may work out positively. However, as far as hobbies go it is really inexpensive especially if you make your own compost, get free containers, start plants from seed and go easy on the artificial lighting. As far as soil and soil amendments go, they are much less expensive in bulk.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #290 on: September 22, 2014, 11:13:47 AM »

Google "Winter Sowing in milk jugs".  All you need is seeds, soil, and milk jugs.  I started this last year and 95% of my flowers and vegetable grew this way.  I made some mistakes, but over all, it was a huge success.  I'm saving milk jugs like crazy for next years garden!!

swallowtail

« Reply #291 on: September 22, 2014, 11:50:54 AM »
Mrs. Green'stache - I am positively dazzled by the milk jug strategy - thank you so much! :)

cambridgecyclist - thank you for the tip on bulk buying!  I am going to ask a gardening neighbor if they would be interested in going in on bulk soil with me.  We have limited gardening space, but both like to make the most of it.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #292 on: September 22, 2014, 04:00:54 PM »

Google "Winter Sowing in milk jugs".  All you need is seeds, soil, and milk jugs.  I started this last year and 95% of my flowers and vegetable grew this way.  I made some mistakes, but over all, it was a huge success.  I'm saving milk jugs like crazy for next years garden!!

My gardening budget comes out of my hobby budget per my wife, even though it defrays our food costs.

For the milk jugs, be sure to drill drainage holes. I tried milk jugs (no drainage) and it was really easy for the soil to get oversaturated.

There's also no reason you can't save soil over the winter. If you're concerned about disease for the seedling flats, you can sterilize garden soil by microwaving it in a plastic bag. (Not sure about how long, but I've read that people do this.)

Once you have the containers and the soil, seeds each year aren't too expensive.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #293 on: September 22, 2014, 04:03:12 PM »
Decided that making tomato sauce with a food mill sounds right about my speed, but can't justify spending the $ on one for a few months yet, so all the tomatoes are going into the freezer. We haven't been eating them fresh very much, and they don't keep long anyways since most of my plants have a bad case of anthracnose. So I'm cutting the spots off and tossing them in freezer bags for as much space as I have (not much left).

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #294 on: September 22, 2014, 04:16:54 PM »
How did I not know about this thread? Gah! *gardening neophyte runs off to read entire thread*

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #295 on: September 22, 2014, 05:07:02 PM »
How did I not know about this thread? Gah! *gardening neophyte runs off to read entire thread*

There's also this thread http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/index.php?topic=13685.0 but it seems to have died out in favor of this current one.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #296 on: September 22, 2014, 10:25:38 PM »
cambridgecyclist - thank you for the tip on bulk buying!  I am going to ask a gardening neighbor if they would be interested in going in on bulk soil with me.  We have limited gardening space, but both like to make the most of it.
Soil seems to be a waste of money - use the lasagna method to build up your garden - it gets rid of paper waste and weeds, while not depriving some other place of its topsoil. It's also cheaper and contains more nutrients for your plants.

swallowtail

« Reply #297 on: September 23, 2014, 09:01:47 AM »
Soil seems to be a waste of money - use the lasagna method to build up your garden - it gets rid of paper waste and weeds, while not depriving some other place of its topsoil. It's also cheaper and contains more nutrients for your plants.

I think Lasagna gardening would be tricky using containers.  I don't have access to good yard space, unfortunately.

Another topic change - before my Mustachian proclivities took root, I purchased an electric composter by a company called NatureMill.  I have had very bad luck with it.  Does anyone have personal or peripheral successful experience with this machine?

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #298 on: September 23, 2014, 04:27:28 PM »
Another topic change - before my Mustachian proclivities took root, I purchased an electric composter by a company called NatureMill.  I have had very bad luck with it.  Does anyone have personal or peripheral successful experience with this machine?

What have your problems been with it? I recently just bought one on Craiglist. I haven't decided if I was going to keep it or try re-selling it. I'd like to know if it is going to be trouble...

swallowtail

« Reply #299 on: September 23, 2014, 04:41:44 PM »
My problem was that I could never get the moisture level right.  Either it was way too damp and got moldy and smelly, or it was really dried out and burnt-seeming, or some combination thereof.  I don't have a ton of experience with compost, but it was never rich and loamy and nice, which is what I imagine it should be like.  It always had a bad funk, uneven texture, and most importantly, when I put it on plants it would often dry the hell out of the soil (I think this was because I added too much baking soda in an attempt to alleviate stank) or otherwise make my soil unhappy.  Things also never seems to properly "break down" - I'd get pretty big pieces of eggshell or other foods even after weeks.