Author Topic: Planting/Growing Your Own 2019  (Read 93700 times)

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
Re: Planting/Growing Your Own 2019
« Reply #450 on: May 22, 2019, 09:19:40 AM »
Hm, one of my lettuces just shriveled up and died overnight? No idea what happened. It was a variety I've never grown before - Flashy Trout Back. Green with pretty red speckles. Maybe it didn't like the pot it was in? I'd stuck it in a pot because I ran out of room in the raised bed. I have plenty of other lettuce growing and that's all doing really well so I am not that fussed about it, but I've never had greens go from fine to dead in one night. At least, not unless we had a freak heat wave, which we most decidedly have NOT been having right now.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #451 on: May 22, 2019, 10:00:54 AM »
@Jon_Snow --your garden looks beautiful!

Mine is still in the fledgling state but is coming along. So far our mesh cover is working to keep birds out and now we have our container garden starting on the patio.

@Tris Prior too bad about the lettuce--I have a few that are struggling but not sure why yours would have collapsed so suddenly!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #452 on: May 22, 2019, 03:05:16 PM »
Something is eating my beans.  I think it's bunnies.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #453 on: May 22, 2019, 07:52:53 PM »
Well, that explains it; when I got home from work I examined the dead lettuce (had noticed it in the morning while rushing out the door and had no time for anything other than "shit, that's dead, welp, gotta run!") and the entire plant was sheared off at dirt level. I guess that would do it! So either something ate it (and ONLY that plant, everything else is fine) or it got damaged in the thunderstorms we had in the middle of the night. That's weird, though, because everything else looks good.

Behold the first Salad That I Grew of the season!
Romaine, buttercrunch lettuce, arugula, purple mizuna, Red Kitten spinach, regular spinach. The tomatoes are from the hanging basket I bought at the farmer's market, which has thus far produced four tomatoes in May!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #454 on: May 23, 2019, 05:40:18 AM »
Behold the first Salad That I Grew of the season!
Romaine, buttercrunch lettuce, arugula, purple mizuna, Red Kitten spinach, regular spinach. The tomatoes are from the hanging basket I bought at the farmer's market, which has thus far produced four tomatoes in May!

Spectacular!!!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #455 on: May 23, 2019, 08:28:22 AM »
My little scrap of backyard garden is pretty much planted now. I just need to find a place to hang the tomato basket, and I have one dwarf tomato (Fred's Tie Dye- sounds fun!) that I still need to put in a container.

One of my raspberry bushes is going insane - I'm so excited, it looks so happy.

I put another tomato and a pepper in the community garden last night but didn't get a pic. I still need to put the basil in but there are still some low 50s in the forecast so I'm probably going to hold off for a while. And I, uh, realized I have room for 2 more tomato plants. I don't have anything yellow yet. And I probably could use one more "normal" tomato (not cherry, not a weird color). I'm going to have a whole rainbow of tomatoes this year - orange, white, purple, blue, brown, pink.... :)

(ETA: Only the stuff in the raised bed and the containers is mine. The stuff in the ground are all native ornamentals that my landlord planted. They draw lots of bees!)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 08:36:47 AM by Tris Prior »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #456 on: May 24, 2019, 05:31:35 AM »
Your garden is beautiful @Tris Prior!  That raspberry looks very happy indeed -- really well leafed out.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #457 on: May 24, 2019, 10:55:03 AM »
@Jon_Snow --your garden looks beautiful!

Thanks @Serendip! As I mentioned in an earlier post, I try to strike a balance between maintaining my gardens beauty AND productivity. I could easily do some cutting down/trimming of some trees (NOT the redwood) to the East to get sun on my garden an hour earlier in the morning. I could do the same to the West and receive full sun of my garden an hour later into the day. But doing so would diminish the beauty of the entire scene...but, for now, I'm willing to sacrifice some yield to keep the beautiful status-quo. In the picture of my garden you can see a rather large blackberry thicket bordering the far end. I COULD clear that out and expand my garden significantly...but I like the natural green border of the blackberries rather than the deer fence that lies 40 feet within that tangle somewhere. And of course, there is the massive blackberry haul and the fact that it attracts a legion of pollinators to the vicinity of my garden. The sound of the bees pollinating those blackberries is one of the other joys I have come to treasure over these past 5 years.

Something is eating my beans.  I think it's bunnies.

No bunnies in my area, but I know for a FACT that wood bugs (called pill bugs, wood lice, roly polys by some) love to chow down on my newly germinated bean plants. Near the edges of my raised beds (where the little bastards hide) my beans almost NEVER make it to adulthood. Once the beans are a few inches high, the plants are pretty much safe from this pests relatively weak mandibles. If your beans are being eaten by something when they are fairly well established I'd say bunnies are a good bet.

Buntastic

« Reply #458 on: May 24, 2019, 04:20:18 PM »
@sol Rabbit is pretty freakin delicious, all I’m gonna say ;)

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #459 on: May 24, 2019, 06:13:18 PM »
For anyone dealing with plants dying this early, water and compost are your allies...  Lowes has a very good micro-watering section and the smaller 1/2 inch pipe systems and a $40 timer work wonders...   a very mustachian $300 will yield easily well north of a $1000 in produce annually this way with 300’ if tubing, back flow balve, pressure reduction valve (to 60 psi), mister nozzles that just plug in with a small auger tool  and a timer with 2 zones to distribute the love.  The initial setup is a bit of work but the payoff is awesome...   Down south here, beans are coming in as are herbs... first tomatoes are about 30 days out...   corn about 45.   Did i mention blackberry cobbler?  ;-)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #460 on: May 24, 2019, 06:15:29 PM »
I just planted green bean seeds in two 5 gallon pails. I did this two year ago and it worked out great! They are on my deck on a chrome cart with wheels so I can wheel them into the sunshine and out or bad weather. I also planted basil seeds. OMG, I love basil! They are planted in regular planters and on a chrome rack with wheels so I can wheel them into the sunshine. I have a deck with an awning so it does prevent the sunshine on about 80% of the deck

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #461 on: May 25, 2019, 06:06:33 AM »
So I had to leave town for a couple weeks (family emergency -- all ok now), and I'm having serious garden withdrawal y'all.  DH is doing a fine job holding down the fort, but I'm missing some good stuff!  Our cherries are coming ripe.  DH and the kids are covering the trees with tulle (less durable, but works way better than bird netting) and should be picking in 2-3 days.     

Buntastic

« Reply #462 on: May 25, 2019, 06:16:41 AM »
So I had to leave town for a couple weeks (family emergency -- all ok now), and I'm having serious garden withdrawal y'all.  DH is doing a fine job holding down the fort, but I'm missing some good stuff!  Our cherries are coming ripe.  DH and the kids are covering the trees with tulle (less durable, but works way better than bird netting) and should be picking in 2-3 days.   

How has the tulle been holding up? Last year was your first year with it, right? Or is it 2 years now?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #463 on: May 25, 2019, 06:58:01 AM »

How has the tulle been holding up? Last year was your first year with it, right? Or is it 2 years now?

This is year 2 with the tulle.  It held up well over the winter, folded up in our shed, and looks fine for another year's duty. 

It is too thin to stand up to rabbits, deer, or woodchucks, but for birds it seems close to ideal. I'll keep you all posted on how many years' use we get out of it.  So far, if not dealing with four legged predators it has bird netting beaten hands down.  It doesn't snag on branches or pull fruit off, and critters don't get tangled in it.  I'm planning to use it for the cherries, blueberries, and elderberries again. 

Buntastic

« Reply #464 on: May 25, 2019, 08:17:11 AM »

This is year 2 with the tulle.  It held up well over the winter, folded up in our shed, and looks fine for another year's duty. 

It is too thin to stand up to rabbits, deer, or woodchucks, but for birds it seems close to ideal. I'll keep you all posted on how many years' use we get out of it.  So far, if not dealing with four legged predators it has bird netting beaten hands down.  It doesn't snag on branches or pull fruit off, and critters don't get tangled in it.  I'm planning to use it for the cherries, blueberries, and elderberries again.

Cool :) Unfortunately here I lose my cherries and larger fruit to squirrels. Birds get some of the elderberries but I still have plenty. Nothing hits my raspberries too bad, weirdly enough. Squirrels get some but only ones that are close to the ground.   

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #465 on: May 25, 2019, 10:24:29 AM »

Cool :) Unfortunately here I lose my cherries and larger fruit to squirrels. Birds get some of the elderberries but I still have plenty. Nothing hits my raspberries too bad, weirdly enough. Squirrels get some but only ones that are close to the ground.

That sucks about your cherries and large fruit.  Sorry to hear that.  Tulle would definitely not stand up to squirrels. 

Do you think squirrel tastes pretty good too?  ;)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #466 on: May 25, 2019, 01:59:24 PM »

Hmm, I should try that on this year's cherries, assuming they ever bloom and get pollinated.  (Right now the leaf buds are just breaking.)  And the strawberries.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #467 on: May 25, 2019, 08:59:57 PM »
Worked like a dog in my garden today.  All day. 

Pulled all the plants out of the greenhouse for hardening off.
Planted cukes, squash, zukes, melons and pumpkins out and constructed a shade shelter to shield them from the sun and hail (for the love of...) and torrential downpours that happened twice today.  There was an inch of rain around 5pm - I was sheltered in the greenhouse marvelling at the volume and hoping all the little guys weren't too beaten up. 
Got the raised pots leveled and filled with soil for tomatoes. 
I am going to grow 4 eggplants and six sweet banana peppers in the greenhouse.

Tomorrow is planting the seedlings in the church garden with the family church.  Must get to bed!

happyuk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Software and IT recipes
« Reply #468 on: May 26, 2019, 06:03:22 AM »
Just an update on a previous post of mine:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/plantinggrowing-your-own-2019/msg2282935/#msg2282935

I don't know if sowing onions and garlic in the autumn/fall makes them tougher and more likely to endure the frosts in the following year, but they seem to have weathered the worst and come out fine.  Elephant garlic, ordinary garlic and red onions respectively:

https://plot-30.blogspot.com/2018/09/planting-of-garlic-and-onions-autumn.html

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 06:08:45 AM by happyuk »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #469 on: May 26, 2019, 10:26:03 AM »
It's been cool and rainy, and I'm amazed at how much growth my cool-weather crops put on while I was gone for 6 days!  We'll definitely be eating a few salads in the next few weeks. The horseradish patch looks like it's about to take over the earth, and my garlic plants are about 2' tall, but no scapes yet.  OTOH, the peppers and tomatoes don't look too enthusiastic, and are waiting for things to warm up. 

I'm relieved that my major work travel is done for the foreseeable future, and I have leave to burn, so I should be able to get a handle on the weeds as the rain tapers off.  Yesterday walking out there and harvesting a bunch of radishes was about all I had the energy to do, but should make some headway today and tomorrow if the weather holds.  Still need to plant out okra and cucurbits.  I stopped by the local greenhouse yesterday and bought some basil, additional peppers, and a few other things to round out where I didn't get things successfully started from seeds.

Might also need to invest in some tulle for my cherry tree.  I've netted it before, and it's a PITA, and also a hazard to birds.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Planting/Growing Your Own 2019
« Reply #470 on: May 26, 2019, 03:22:19 PM »
Eating Golden Dorset apples and boysenberries out of the garden.

Need to harvest some rhubarb and make rhubarb crumble before it gets too late.

Started seeds for chamomile, basil, hyacinth bean and Swiss chard yesterday.

Planted three goji berries last year; two more years before they really fruit, so letting them grow wild this year and will prune into a proper tree shape next year.

Have a baby almond tree that will grow slowly and realized I probably need a second almond to pollinate it properly. Will start looking in hopes of getting that in this year.

Last but not least, repotted the aloe vera plant we use treating for minor burns. I know it could get huge if we took better care of it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 05:10:56 PM by jengod »

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #471 on: May 26, 2019, 09:26:29 PM »
I had a patio cucumber fail completely and when I pulled it up, the roots were completely rotten and there were small white bugs in the soil. Yikes! they didn't look like aphids, almost like teeny little spiders. Tried to figure out how to upload a photo but didn't have any luck but I couldn't really photograph the bugs, only the roots.
**figured out how to attach photos!

Anyhow, hopefully none of the other containers have the same problem. So far everything else looks healthy!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 09:38:09 PM by Serendip »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #472 on: May 27, 2019, 07:20:39 AM »
My hands are tired just like the rest of my body.  I worked so darn hard all weekend but it shows.

Now at the optimist phase where everything can work out and there is so much potential.

cassafrass

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #473 on: May 28, 2019, 07:11:44 AM »
I got to enjoy the first bounty from my garden this weekend! My kids and I chomped on some radish microgreens that I pulled out while thinning out the radish rows. Maybe not super exciting for the veteran growers around here, but it's the first thing I've ever grown to eat and it's very satisfying. I was also pleasantly surprised that even my 1-year-old liked them.

With the exception of my bell pepper plants that are being chewed on by something, everything else in the garden is looking great. I'm looking forward to spending more time out in the garden now that summer is officially here.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #474 on: May 28, 2019, 07:34:41 AM »
I got to enjoy the first bounty from my garden this weekend! My kids and I chomped on some radish microgreens that I pulled out while thinning out the radish rows. Maybe not super exciting for the veteran growers around here, but it's the first thing I've ever grown to eat and it's very satisfying.

Congratulations @cassafrass!  Yes it is very satisfying.  And it never gets old!

Buntastic

« Reply #475 on: May 28, 2019, 08:06:16 AM »
I got to enjoy the first bounty from my garden this weekend! My kids and I chomped on some radish microgreens that I pulled out while thinning out the radish rows. Maybe not super exciting for the veteran growers around here, but it's the first thing I've ever grown to eat and it's very satisfying. I was also pleasantly surprised that even my 1-year-old liked them.

With the exception of my bell pepper plants that are being chewed on by something, everything else in the garden is looking great. I'm looking forward to spending more time out in the garden now that summer is officially here.

That’s surprising a young kid liked that! Many adults wouldn’t even like the spicy flavor of those.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #476 on: May 28, 2019, 08:14:49 AM »
I am looking at the forecast and it is STILL not warm enough to plant out the basil and I am VERY cranky about this.

Buntastic

« Reply #477 on: May 28, 2019, 08:25:01 AM »
I am looking at the forecast and it is STILL not warm enough to plant out the basil and I am VERY cranky about this.

I’m north of you (I think at least) and if I was growing basil this year it would have already been outside for two weeks by now (all my tomatos and peppers have been outside that long).

A lot of y’all seem way too cautious about planting your tender crops out. If temps are 38+F (3C+) they go outside.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #478 on: May 28, 2019, 09:09:16 AM »
I haven't planted out the basil yet.  It gets brown spots if it gets cold.  I need to get it in the ground though - it is starving in the soil mix.

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #479 on: May 28, 2019, 09:28:46 AM »
A holiday weekend at home was just what I needed to get the garden fully planted. I'm behind schedule due to weather and work, but not hugely.

Moved the 3 blue cochin 7 week old pullets from the brooder to the mini-cooper their transition coop until they are old enough to be integrated with the flock. To make space for the chicks, I rehomed 2 Maran hens that are no longer laying. Made a split from a bee hive and added a new queen on Saturday. She's still in her cage until the bees get accustomed to her. Later today, I will take the tape that is covering the hard candy plug to allow the bees to eat through it and release the queen in 4-5 days. One of the new beekeepers that I'm mentoring, had one of his 1st year nucs swarm on Friday so we set up a lure hive in the hope of coaxing the swarm into it. It took off late on Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning I led an inspection with the other mentees of his hives and found 4 hatched queen cells in the first hive and 1 capped queen cell in the other hive. Very unusual behavior for nucs with plenty of space.

Saturday and Sunday I moved slightly aged chicken manure and compost to the raised beds. I forked the manure deep into the beds to allow it to compost in place. Then I put the finished cold compost on top, and set up the soaker hose and timer. Planted 10 assorted bell peppers, 16 bush tomatoes, 8 mixed variety (cherokee purple, etc), basil, parsley, cilantro. Put in seeds for 8 summer squash, about 70 dragon tongue pole beans, dill, sunflower, calendula, and hollyhocks. I like to mix flowers among the veg to entice the bees to neighboring plants. Mixed epsom salt, eggshells, worm compost in all of the holes before planting the tomatoes to encourage growth. Then applied a foliar spray to feed.

The green and purple bush beans are about 7-10 inches tall with two sets of leaves. I noticed something was chewing on them, likely slugs or pill bugs, so I sprinkled about 2 cups of  lightly crushed eggshells around the plants to deter the pests that would have to climb over the sharp shells to get to the plants. That seems to have slowed the pests down.

The cucumbers finally germinated after being planted 2 weeks ago. Sugar snap and snow peas are getting taller and the tree branches pruned off the trees in January aren't tall enough to give the tendrils enough support. Added stakes to hold them up. Moved wayward blackberry canes that rooted where they didn't belong. Blueberries are coming along nicely and will be covered with mosquito netting in three weeks.

Started cleaning out the canning jars and taking inventory of the lids and rings to prepare everything for the upcoming canning season. Looking for new salsa and relish recipes to try out.

Next up I need to tackle a new location for the compost pile and locate another goji berry plant to companion plant with an existing plant. Mulching beds will happen this week too.

Wishing your gardens sunny days and rain only at night.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #480 on: May 28, 2019, 09:38:07 AM »
Most of us got our start in gardening from someone, and for me it was my dad.  He grew up in the country and moved to the city after high school. Since 1965 he has gardened on the small city lot where I grew up.  When I was a kid, his garden produced an astonishing amount of food that fed not only us, but friends and neighbors as well.  As his kids grew up and moved away, the size of his garden shrank a bit and he focused on planting the things that gave him real joy.  Even though he's in the city, my dad is remarkably connected to nature.  He'is intimately connected with everything that grows, crawls, walks and flies in his yard.  It's in his bones and blood.  He is generous with his time and knowledge, and always glad to teach.  I live far away now, but when I visit we always spend time in the garden and talk plants.  A few weeks ago my dad had some health problems, and I came to town.  The immediate crisis is past, but it's not clear how much longer he will be able to manage alone at his place.

For the first time this year, my dad was not able to plant his garden.  After 54 years, he just can't any more.  I am so thankful to still have my dad, but I am mourning this, for him and for me.  Mourning this the way maybe only other gardeners can understand.

So I planted for him.  I kept it small and simple, 4 tomato plants and 4 peppers.  I planted them the best I know how.  I mulched them deep with the chopped leaves he set by last fall.  I set up trellis poles the way he likes around the tomatoes, so he can tie them up when it's time. 

I hope he enjoys the plants, but I also wanted to show him the love of gardening that he kindled in me.  That the torch has been passed, and it's burning bright.  And as long as he's here I'll plant something in the spring for him. 

Thanks, Dad.       

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #481 on: May 28, 2019, 10:25:48 AM »

I’m north of you (I think at least) and if I was growing basil this year it would have already been outside for two weeks by now (all my tomatos and peppers have been outside that long).

A lot of y’all seem way too cautious about planting your tender crops out. If temps are 38+F (3C+) they go outside.

I thought the rule for basil was, temps need to be 55 for it not to turn brown and die? I've lost basil before to temps in the 50s. We're going down to 48 tonight.

Tomatoes and peppers seem unfazed, though; I've got most of those in the ground already.

Buntastic

« Reply #482 on: May 28, 2019, 10:54:51 AM »

I thought the rule for basil was, temps need to be 55 for it not to turn brown and die? I've lost basil before to temps in the 50s. We're going down to 48 tonight.

Tomatoes and peppers seem unfazed, though; I've got most of those in the ground already.

I dunno, maybe I’m wrong? I’ve only grown it a handful of times, maybe those years we had warmer Mays and my memory is shoddy.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #483 on: May 28, 2019, 10:57:44 AM »
I thought the rule for basil was, temps need to be 55 for it not to turn brown and die?
Testing that rule this year....

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #484 on: May 28, 2019, 10:58:14 AM »
Most of us got our start in gardening from someone, and for me it was my dad.  He grew up in the country and moved to the city after high school. Since 1965 he has gardened on the small city lot where I grew up.  When I was a kid, his garden produced an astonishing amount of food that fed not only us, but friends and neighbors as well.  As his kids grew up and moved away, the size of his garden shrank a bit and he focused on planting the things that gave him real joy.  Even though he's in the city, my dad is remarkably connected to nature.  He'is intimately connected with everything that grows, crawls, walks and flies in his yard.  It's in his bones and blood.  He is generous with his time and knowledge, and always glad to teach.  I live far away now, but when I visit we always spend time in the garden and talk plants.  A few weeks ago my dad had some health problems, and I came to town.  The immediate crisis is past, but it's not clear how much longer he will be able to manage alone at his place.

For the first time this year, my dad was not able to plant his garden.  After 54 years, he just can't any more.  I am so thankful to still have my dad, but I am mourning this, for him and for me.  Mourning this the way maybe only other gardeners can understand.

So I planted for him.  I kept it small and simple, 4 tomato plants and 4 peppers.  I planted them the best I know how.  I mulched them deep with the chopped leaves he set by last fall.  I set up trellis poles the way he likes around the tomatoes, so he can tie them up when it's time. 

I hope he enjoys the plants, but I also wanted to show him the love of gardening that he kindled in me.  That the torch has been passed, and it's burning bright.  And as long as he's here I'll plant something in the spring for him. 

Thanks, Dad.     

Oh, how wonderful. You should share this post with him, too.

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #485 on: May 28, 2019, 11:32:25 AM »
I thought the rule for basil was, temps need to be 55 for it not to turn brown and die?
Testing that rule this year....

Mine has done ok outside down to mid- to high-40s, but below that the leaves brown. I almost lost them when it went down to around 38 last month, they looked really bad and their growth became stunted for some time. It might depend on variety also.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #486 on: May 28, 2019, 11:37:25 AM »
I bought too many green bean seeds. Does anyone know if I save the unplanted seeds will they grow next year? If so, is there a preferred method of storing them like in the refrigerator? Vacuum packed?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #487 on: May 28, 2019, 12:13:48 PM »
I bought too many green bean seeds. Does anyone know if I save the unplanted seeds will they grow next year? If so, is there a preferred method of storing them like in the refrigerator? Vacuum packed?

They last 2-3 years at room temperature if kept dry. Longer in the freezer.  I have a jar in the freezer full of 8 year old beans I saved that are still viable.  Not sure what vacuum packing would do. 

Buntastic

« Reply #488 on: May 28, 2019, 12:18:43 PM »

They last 2-3 years at room temperature if kept dry. Longer in the freezer.  I have a jar in the freezer full of 8 year old beans I saved that are still viable.  Not sure what vacuum packing would do.

Yeah if you’ll use them up next year I’d just keep them in a cool, dry, dark place. I notice weak plants and poor germination past that at normal room or basement temps. Fridge is safest place to extend life, freezer is technically best but if seeds have too high a moisture content they can be damaged.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #489 on: May 28, 2019, 11:51:55 PM »

Thanks, Dad.     

Beautiful tribute and what a gift to pass on the love of gardening!!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #490 on: May 29, 2019, 05:37:50 AM »
Love your update @Indio!  I hope to start with bees next year (though I've been saying that for three years now haha).  We need to build an electric fence set up (we have bears) and other projects have kept us from addressing that.  Hopefully we can finally do that over the winter.  I'm hoping to get up to Spikenard Farm for one of their classes in the spring too. 

A question for you -- when you say you plant flowers among the vegetables, exactly how do you do that?  Like between the plants?  Between rows?  It sounds like you don't want those flowers to self-seed, right?  Thanks! 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #491 on: May 29, 2019, 07:48:38 AM »

Thanks, Dad.     

Aww, I think I have something in my eye.  Hoping for better health for your dad; I'm sure tending to his smaller garden will do him good, for both body and soul.

@Indio wow, you have been busy!  Bee keeping sounds fascinating.

Chugging along here - I did a ton of weeding on Monday and planted basil, tomatillos, ancho chiles and an artichoke. Transplanted volunteer oakleaf lettuces that were volunteering among the weed patch.  Still have a pony pack of onions to put in since I let me original starts die due to negligence. This weekend I'll put in the okra and cucurbits so I can shut down the grow bench for the year.  We are continuing to get rainstorms blowing through, and I'm happy to not have to water, even if the warm-weather crops are pouting a little.

The natives in the front yard are starting to bloom, which is a nice thing to come home to.

A couple nights ago I quartered up a bunch of radishes and sauteed them with butter, then added in their chopped greens and some herbs.  Makes a nice side dish when you're buried in radishes and can only eat so many raw.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 07:50:13 AM by horsepoor »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #492 on: May 29, 2019, 08:07:45 AM »

Thanks, Dad.     
This is my first season without my Dad planting with me or telling me how to the right way.  Unfortunately though, it is because he is gone suddenly from a car accident just before Christmas.  I am deep in grief and this years garden is helping me cope with that grief and the subsequent trauma. Having my hands in soil potting up the thousand seedlings I grew or hauling compost to exhaust my body is just perfect medicine for my whirring brain.
Eating the first asparagus this season brought both joy and sadness as I am sure will continue this whole season with each crop.  So last season I used to thank my paternal grandmother for all the knowledge and talent she gave me, I now add my Dad as well. But with fresh tears.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #493 on: May 29, 2019, 08:23:21 AM »
@Frugal Lizard, I am so sorry for the loss of your dad.  It’s never easy to lose a parent, and to have it happen suddenly must be especially painful.  My deepest condolences, and may your time in the garden continue to help you work through it.

Thanks for the flower guidance, @Sun Hat.  Sounds like there are loads of possibilities. I don’t know anything about flowers, but am looking forward to learning. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #494 on: May 29, 2019, 08:56:09 AM »
@Indio, I made a couple of small splits last weekend.  I'm hoping to have at least one full hive and two 4-over-4 nucs going into winter.  Our spring flow looks to be mostly over unless we get some significant rain soon to rebloom the clover (they are actually forecasting drought conditions...boo), so I don't think the nucs will end up big enough to go into their own boxes by winter.  We'll get another fall flow, so hopefully that will be enough to get them through.  I lost last season to SHBs and a tornado, so I'm pretty much starting from scratch.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #495 on: May 29, 2019, 11:12:49 AM »
I am growing green beans in two 5 gallon pails on my deck. I plan to plant two more pails in another week or so to stagger the incoming beans. I have them on a chrome rack on wheels and wheel them out into the sun during the day. Then back under my awning at night. I also have another chrome rack on wheels with basil growing.  It is nice to have the basil handy when it starts to produce. I grew the beans that way two years ago and I got a nice 'crop' out of it. This year will be even better with two more additional pails.

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #496 on: May 29, 2019, 11:41:23 AM »
@Trifele  Was sorry to read about your father's illness. I hope he is on the mend now.

@Frugal Lizard  Sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your father. Being surrounded by nature can be very therapeutic and I hope it reminds you of all the happy times with both your grandmother and father. I have peonies and bearded irises from my stepfather's garden. Every spring they bloom, it reminds me to cherish his example of a life well-lived.

Because my veg garden is a series of enclosed raised beds, I want to attract as many pollinators as possible. Every year I hatch preying mantid egg cases and release ladybugs in the garden to build up the supply of beneficial insects in the neighborhood. This year I found two mantid egg cases on rue plants so I think I'm at the inflection point where I don't need to buy them any more. Fingers crossed!

My planting strategy is similar to @Sun Hat where I intersperse the flowers among the veg. Because there are already a lot of beneficial insects in the garden, I focus on flowers that serve dual purposes -- edible, chicken snacks, medicinal/healing. Among the veg, I have comfrey, dill, sunflowers, calendula, sage, nasturtium, and lavender to attract a variety of pollinators. When I have flowers the bees can't resist, they are determined to find their way through the bird netting that encloses the raised beds to protect the veg from birds and squirrels. I don't worry too much about reseeding because I can just dig the seedling up and put it in a new spot or use the hoe if there are an abundance.

The over-wintered clary sage has big, beautiful purple flowers now. On Sunday, there were over a 100 mason bees sucking nectar from it. It was the only kind of traffic jam that I can truly appreciate. Sunflowers, lavender, dill appeal to both honeybees and wild bees. Hollyhocks are the only flowering plant that don't attract bees, but they look gorgeous in the garden so I make an exception for them. :)

@Sugaree I can't imagine losing hives to a tornado or even being physically close to one. Two years ago, we had a drought and I fed my bees a sugar syrup infusion with thyme, spikenard and lemon balm to give their immune system a boost during the dearth. It helped them survive the winter. Did you see that the bees on Notre Dame roof survived the fire?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #497 on: May 29, 2019, 12:05:33 PM »
@Indio, I did read about the bees @ Notre Dame.  That was so cool.  I had wanted to see them when I was in Paris, but it was December and there was a wedding going on the day we tried to tour, so the closest I got was a cute little cafe next door.

We had actually moved our hives out of the backyard two weeks before the tornado.  My neighbor found out about them and lost her mind.  Actually, she waited six months to talk shit on Facebook and say that her kid is allergic, but since her only discernible source of income is the proceeds from lawsuits, I thought it best to go ahead and move them so we moved them out to the country.  Which was fortunate since a tree fell right on top of where they had been.  I'm very glad that I wasn't dealing with a bunch of angry bees on top of everything else that morning.  I did lose a good bit of equipment though, including one of my resource hives from Brushy that I apparently can't replace now that they are out of business.  But with them being in an outyard and spending the summer dealing with cleanup and contractors, I just didn't get out there to work them like I should have. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #498 on: May 30, 2019, 03:56:14 AM »
I hope that my garden system and planning grows to become more like Indio’s! For now, things in my garden reflect my life, and are more chaotic than considered.

For instance, I just removed what I hope were volunteer dill seedlings from my carrot bed and not carrots. They’re seriously hard to tell apart!

Reflecting my need to attract more predators, my tiny kale seedlings are already suffering from flea beetles. I’m not a fan of insecticides, so I’ll try citrus oil (starting with the mass of orange peels I have in my freezer from when I was thinking of candying them) and then try some sort of row cover (though I’m skeptical as to whether this will keep them out or trap them in).

Any suggestions for the flea beetles?

I don't think row cover is likely to help, unfortunately.  I think probably your best bet is predators, if you can get more in there.

For the prior three years I grew in covered raised beds due to pressure from woodchucks and deer.  I was able to keep the deer and woodchucks at bay with the covered beds, but the kale was severely eaten by aphids.  Predators weren't getting in.

This year, with the deer fence (halleluia), no covered rows were required, and I have very few aphids.  The kale looks great because I'm seeing plenty of predator activity from lady bugs and preying mantises.  They just showed up.  :)  If I hadn't gotten the deer fence in place, for this year my plan -- exactly as @Indio said -- was to buy predators and spill them into the covered beds. 

Buntastic

« Reply #499 on: May 30, 2019, 04:36:19 AM »
Commercial organic growers use row cover to exclude flea beetles, but I’m pretty sure that’s effective only if you do it as a pre-emptive measure. I feel like I’ve heard of other strategies like trap cropping but can’t remember any details offhand, sorry, been a while since I’ve listened to farming podcasts.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!