Author Topic: Planting/Growing Your Own 2019  (Read 93941 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Planting/Growing Your Own 2019
« Reply #600 on: June 25, 2019, 05:01:13 AM »
That's a great idea about overwintering a tomato cutting @RetiredAt63!  Thanks.  I've never thought to do that.  Do you have any issue with the cutting actually trying to flower under the grow lights?  Or does it not get that far?

Given our long winters the biggest issue was a plant that was way too big for indoors.  Once I did the final tip cutting I let it flower, since it was only a few weeks away from going outside anyway.  Early tomatoes, yay!

Re tomatoes, though, they are so easy to start from seed and the seeds keep so long (at least 5 years) that this was an experiment, just because I liked that particular plant and they are hybrids so not worth saving seeds.  If you have one or two plants that are really superior to the rest it wold be worth dong this.

Peppers, on the other hand, are not nearly as cooperative as tomatoes - the seeds only keep for a couple of years, the plants take forever to get going from seed, and are slow in the garden.  So having an early start from a cutting (or a year old plant) makes a huge difference.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:14:32 AM by RetiredAt63 »

coffeefueled

• Stubble
« Reply #601 on: June 25, 2019, 06:48:04 AM »
@Trifele I feel for you on the wood chip hauling. We tried the wood chip thing until I decided I didn't like to walk barefoot on them (chipdrop chips are not exactly uniform and pleasant on the toes). We gave it all away on craigslist, but the weekend I spent carting it around was tiring. Have you looked at a gorilla cart? We got one on our wedding registry and really like it so far. It has a good turning radius and I find it easier to pull like a wagon than traditional wheelbarrows.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #602 on: June 25, 2019, 08:04:43 AM »
Got my first ripe Sungold! I ate it right off the vine and it was delicious. I'm shocked that it ripened given how cool and rainy it has been (though warming up this week.)

Also got a good handful of strawberries. Whatever was eating my strawberries last year appears to not be present this year. Hooray!

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #603 on: June 25, 2019, 08:14:32 AM »
I'm a big fan of chip drops and have been doing it for over a decade. It has raised the soil level about 6 inches, in many spots in my garden, after years of decomposing. When the flower beds are full and I have leftover chips, I leave them spread out in a section where I put fresh mushroom spawn each year. I consider it a great upper body workout moving 20 yards of wood chips and look forward to doing it. Saves a few days of lifting monotonous weights. There's a local tree trimming company that I call for chips every Spring. He knows that I don't want contaminated wood and knows exactly where to drop them so that it doesn't block the driveway. It benefits him because he doesn't have to pay to bring the chips to the local suburban dump.

I used to have a one wheel wheelbarrow, but the wheel was always going flat so I decided to invest in a heavy duty, double duty wheelbarrow with never flat tires. The handles are metal too, which has eliminated the splinters from the wooden handles because I don't always wear gloves. Load capacity isn't as large but the rugged wheels makes up for it. Having it double as a dolly is helpful when I'm moving 50 lb bags of chicken feed to storage bins and want to move 4 bags at a time.

This wheelbarrow along with the weeding hoe, are my favorite garden tools right now. I'm curious what other garden tools are people's favorites?

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #604 on: June 25, 2019, 08:29:38 AM »
Got my first ripe Sungold! I ate it right off the vine and it was delicious. I'm shocked that it ripened given how cool and rainy it has been (though warming up this week.)

Also got a good handful of strawberries. Whatever was eating my strawberries last year appears to not be present this year. Hooray!

I'm so jealous about the early toms. I'm a good 3 weeks away from anything being big enough to pick.

I've been conducting taste tests with new balsamic vinegars in the hope of finding the "perfect" one to accompany a garden tomato salad. A few years ago, I did this with olive oil and found a Spanish olive oil that I only use for fresh tomatoes, cheese, basil, olives, and fresh cracked pepper. When greens are involved, there's a lemon flavored olive oil that really zings up the arugula.

Buntastic

« Reply #605 on: June 25, 2019, 09:24:50 AM »
Two new videos

Why Rabbits?

https://youtu.be/WepXkSHdPXE

A tour of my garden from today. Heat is finally coming.

https://youtu.be/3b6mR_iB3EY

Buntastic

« Reply #606 on: June 25, 2019, 09:49:56 AM »
I haven’t liked the two-wheel wheelbarrows I’ve used in past, but I’ve only used a couple. Mainly I didn’t like how they performed on unveven ground and making tight turns. I’m still using a very old hand-me-down wheelbarrow, though, so I’m not super picky.

Tools I use: basic round-point spade, flat shovel, nursery spade, 4-tine pitchfork for moving bedding —> all pretty standard upper-end hardware store models.

Unusual tools: Japanese/Dutch style hand-hoe forged by Red Pig Tools. Wonderful for kneeling work.

Collinear hoe and Trapezoidal hoe from Johnny’s. Excellent for weeding standing up. Lately I prefer to weed kneeling so I collect stuff to feed the chickens, though. I also use the trap hoe for making furrows.

Meadow Creature broadfork. Fantastic tool, unbreakable. Should really sell it though because I have no use for it with current soil tilth and the fact I use all wood-sided beds makes it less usable anyways. It was very nice when I had my bigger garden and before I did the raised beds here.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #607 on: June 25, 2019, 11:20:10 AM »
My favorite and most used tools right now are my Hori-Hori knife and an el cheapo Japanese grass sickle.  The Hori-Hori knife is delightful -- perfectly balanced.  It functions as both a knife and a nice, sharp, narrow trowel.  It's super strong and you can pry with it too. 

I have a Meadow Creature broadfork too.  Awesome tool.  As for the wheelbarrow, we have a four wheel utility cart, but for the garden I prefer a barrow with just one wheel in front.  Easier to maneuver around corners.  So I like the traditional wheelbarrow design; I think I just need a lighter one.

In addition to a lighter wheelbarrow, I am on the search for the perfect hoe.  I have a couple I use frequently, but one is a bit too heavy, and the other is too small and light.  I want one that's just right, haha.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #608 on: June 26, 2019, 02:20:53 AM »
I'm a big fan of chip drops and have been doing it for over a decade. It has raised the soil level about 6 inches, in many spots in my garden, after years of decomposing. When the flower beds are full and I have leftover chips, I leave them spread out in a section where I put fresh mushroom spawn each year. I consider it a great upper body workout moving 20 yards of wood chips and look forward to doing it. Saves a few days of lifting monotonous weights.

I used to have a one wheel wheelbarrow, but the wheel was always going flat so I decided to invest in a heavy duty, double duty wheelbarrow with never flat tires. The handles are metal too, which has eliminated the splinters from the wooden handles because I don't always wear gloves. Load capacity isn't as large but the rugged wheels makes up for it. Having it double as a dolly is helpful when I'm moving 50 lb bags of chicken feed to storage bins and want to move 4 bags at a time.

Yes!  Love piles of chips.  I didn't get to choose the location for our current huge chip pile, because it came from two big trees we had taken down.  The tree guys chipped them right there, about 100 yards uphill from the garden.  So yeah, it's a workout to shuttle barrowloads down to where I'm using them.  After 8 or 10 loads I feel like I've done an interval workout plus lifted weights.  Rah!  No need to go to the gym right now, but for future chip drops I'll definitely ask them to drop the load closer to where I'm using them.

Funny you mention the mushrooms @Indio.  I've been noticing how much the wild mushrooms LOVE the chip pile.  I've been meaning to try growing mushrooms for years and just haven't gotten to it.  Now I know  how to start!  Pile of wood chips. 

Yep, we have a never-flat wheel on our barrow too.  Those are good.   I like the idea of metal handles.  I almost always have gloves on while working (being careful because we have lots of little copperheads here and a couple spiders of concern) but once in a while I forget and grab the barrow bare-handed.  Those big dagger-like splinters from the wooden handles really suck.  So I'm adding metal handles to my barrow wish list.  Thanks!   

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #609 on: June 26, 2019, 09:25:09 AM »
Where do you folks get free wood chips?  I need some more.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #610 on: June 26, 2019, 10:27:21 AM »

They are often available on craigslist.   But the way that seems to work the best is to call some arborists and get on their list.   The upside is that it is free delivery.  The downside are that the delivery is on the arborist's schedule, and when they deliver you get the whole truck load.   Typically about 10 yards.   

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #611 on: June 26, 2019, 11:41:22 AM »
Our city offers wood mulch for free/cheap if you go pick it up from the brush processing center. They offer up to 30 gallons free per trip, but they're only open during business hours which is kind of a pain (not a problem if you're FIRE I suppose!), but for the past few weeks my wife has been stopping by and filling up 30 gallons worth of rubbermaid bins most mornings on her way to work that we then spread around in the afternoon.

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #612 on: June 26, 2019, 11:57:59 AM »

There's also Chip Drop (getchipdrop.com) available in some areas, if you are like me and prefer not to talk to people. :P I got mine this way. Paid nothing.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #613 on: June 26, 2019, 01:15:59 PM »

There's also Chip Drop (getchipdrop.com) available in some areas, if you are like me and prefer not to talk to people. :P I got mine this way. Paid nothing.

Cool site!!  I just signed up for a drop! 

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #614 on: June 26, 2019, 04:11:48 PM »

Good luck! :) It's definitely satisfying! There's always a lot of talk in the garden groups about it around here, who got it, how fast, how the different "options" impact the speed (I did chips only, no logs, which apparently can be giant). It's really variable how fast you might see a drop. Some folks get one almost immediately and some wait and wait. How many companies are signed up, and how many people are signed up at the time, plus time of year (how much tree trimming activity there is) definitely make a big impact! The first time I signed up mid summer and I didn't see anything (and then I took myself off the list because I was going away). The following year I signed up in the fall and I got one within a week.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #615 on: June 27, 2019, 04:22:03 AM »
If ChipDrop isn't an option for whatever reason, as @Telecaster said above, you can also call the tree trimming services directly. The guys who took our trees down had a huge sign on the side of their truck that said "Call us for free wood chips, delivered."

Buntastic

« Reply #616 on: June 27, 2019, 05:54:55 AM »
If a whole truckload is too much, look at your power company. Mine has several places where you can pick up free woodchips. Many municipalities in my area do this as well. I can’t handle a full truckload here but I can fit 2/3 cuyd in my van between various totes and buckets.

Blueberries

• Stubble
« Reply #617 on: June 27, 2019, 09:57:39 AM »
Dealing with squash vine borer already.  I think we'll have one smaller Cinderella pumpkin, but the SVB get me every year.  I've tried mixing cucumber and pumpkin this year as I've read that might help, but we'll see.  I've performed surgery on almost all the stand alone pumpkins.

What do others do for this?

I've used Chip Drop with success, but it took a long time to get my first delivery.  I opted to do a donation, too, not just to be kind, but also assuming it would help get a delivery sooner.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 09:59:52 AM by Blueberries »

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #618 on: June 27, 2019, 11:21:03 AM »

I've used Chip Drop with success, but it took a long time to get my first delivery.  I opted to do a donation, too, not just to be kind, but also assuming it would help get a delivery sooner.

Weirdly, the first time I signed up (when I did not get a drop) I included a donation. The second time (when I *did* get a drop) I was lazy and did not, and I got one in about a week! Really luck of the draw in my area, I think.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #619 on: June 27, 2019, 10:11:11 PM »
Love ChipDrop but next year I will specify “no eucalyptus” and “no bamboo.” We got eucalyptus and that’s fine with me the initial smell gave our poor neighbor an serious allergic reaction. We bought a huge tarp to cover the pile and that seemed to help. It’s now composted down enough that there’s no more smell. We are still moving loads tho. We are very slow I guess!

Harvested rhubarb and a lemon for a homemade fruit tart—it came out great!

savedandsaving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #620 on: June 28, 2019, 10:07:22 AM »
So many great ideas here. Just joining and loving it!!

I tried my hand at tomato sprouting a few months ago, but my cats ate the seedlings. Sad day, that was. I don’t think they would’ve survived in the ground, anyway—they were super leggy from lack of light. Time to get some grow lights and plan for the fall veggies!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #621 on: June 28, 2019, 04:06:23 PM »
So many great ideas here. Just joining and loving it!!

I tried my hand at tomato sprouting a few months ago, but my cats ate the seedlings. Sad day, that was. I don’t think they would’ve survived in the ground, anyway—they were super leggy from lack of light. Time to get some grow lights and plan for the fall veggies!
Tomato leaves and stems are somewhat toxic, so I hope your cat doesn't get too greedy.  Tomatoes will make roots along buried stems, so all you have to do is take off any leaves that will be buried, and plant those leggy stems deep.

savedandsaving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #622 on: June 29, 2019, 07:30:51 AM »
@RetiredAt63 Thanks so much for the tip!! I’ll definitely try that!!

Found out about the toxicity of tomato plants after the cats got to them and removed the pot immediately—fortunately, there were very few small seedlings at that point. No ill effects observed thus far, and it’s been a good 4 months! 👌

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #623 on: June 29, 2019, 07:43:00 AM »
@RetiredAt63 Thanks so much for the tip!! I’ll definitely try that!!

Found out about the toxicity of tomato plants after the cats got to them and removed the pot immediately—fortunately, there were very few small seedlings at that point. No ill effects observed thus far, and it’s been a good 4 months! 👌

The toxins are glycoalkaloids, so if anything were to happen it would be within hours or days.

Most of us who grow our tomatoes from seed end up with leggy tomatoes, because even grow lights are not the equivalent of a greenhouse.  But since it is good for  the plants to have more roots, it works out just fine.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #624 on: June 29, 2019, 12:01:30 PM »
. . .  I almost always have gloves on while working (being careful because we have lots of little copperheads here and a couple spiders of concern) . . .

Aaand right on cue, today we found that a big female black widow had built her web and strung her egg sac on the side of one of our ladders.  Right where you might grab it to move it.   From what I read, a bite is not a huge deal (deaths are super rare) but they are painful as hell.  Gloves, my friends.  Gloves. 

I like spiders, so it was really neat to get such a close up look. 

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 12:10:03 PM by Trifele »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #625 on: June 30, 2019, 08:17:18 AM »
Anyone have suggestions for fresh basil and preserving it? I am going to have a lot coming in and I plan to make some pesto and fresh mozzarella, tomato, basil salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. But, I think I would like to try some other things and not waste it. I really don't want to dry it. Are there any freezer methods other than pesto you know of?

Last year when I grew too much basil, I froze some of the leaves in a layer on a sheet pan and then stored them in a plastic freezer bag. Now, I can just take out as many as I need, though they'll have to go into cooked dishes, as they will be soft when thawed. For the oodles of pesto that I made, I froze it in ice cube trays and then transferred to another freezer bag, which was also great for having handy portion sizes available. I made some cubes of just basil and olive oil the same way, but I like pesto so much that I normally just toss them into everything.

For an unsolicited fun fact, you can make vegan pesto by using nutritional yeast instead of cheese!

Don't the leaves turn black by putting them directly in the freezer?

Also, anyone have any idea what to do with huge amounts of lettuce? I belong to a CSA and I have been getting a lot of different types of lettuce. Much more than I can use up in a week till I get my next basket. I have also been getting kale and am trying to eat as much as possible but just getting to be too much. Can it be air fried or roasted or sautéed? HELP! LOL! I have had to toss a lot of it out and I really hate that!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #626 on: June 30, 2019, 09:34:13 AM »
Anyone have suggestions for fresh basil and preserving it? I am going to have a lot coming in and I plan to make some pesto and fresh mozzarella, tomato, basil salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. But, I think I would like to try some other things and not waste it. I really don't want to dry it. Are there any freezer methods other than pesto you know of?

Last year when I grew too much basil, I froze some of the leaves in a layer on a sheet pan and then stored them in a plastic freezer bag. Now, I can just take out as many as I need, though they'll have to go into cooked dishes, as they will be soft when thawed. For the oodles of pesto that I made, I froze it in ice cube trays and then transferred to another freezer bag, which was also great for having handy portion sizes available. I made some cubes of just basil and olive oil the same way, but I like pesto so much that I normally just toss them into everything.

For an unsolicited fun fact, you can make vegan pesto by using nutritional yeast instead of cheese!
Don't the leaves turn black by putting them directly in the freezer?

Also, anyone have any idea what to do with huge amounts of lettuce? I belong to a CSA and I have been getting a lot of different types of lettuce. Much more than I can use up in a week till I get my next basket. I have also been getting kale and am trying to eat as much as possible but just getting to be too much. Can it be air fried or roasted or sautéed? HELP! LOL! I have had to toss a lot of it out and I really hate that!

Kale can certainly be sauteed or air fried - kale chips were quite popular for a while there.  I don't recommend it with lettuce, though.  I've never found a good way to cook lettuce, it really is best fresh.  Supposedly you can cook with it, though - a quick search turns up grilling and stir-fry as possible options.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #627 on: June 30, 2019, 09:56:47 AM »
Yes, you can totally saute kale -- it makes a great side dish or ingredient in omelets or the like.  I just ate some today for breakfast as a side, with salt and vinegar.

You can also freeze it (either blanch first, or just stick it in the way it is in freezer bags, squeezing the air out).  And you can make kale chips in the oven (olive oil and salt).  Super delicious.  It takes a little practice to get the temperature right so they get crisp but don't turn black.  And it's dependent on your particular oven. 

I've never air dried or used a dehydrator on kale, but I imagine that would work too. 

Blueberries

• Stubble
« Reply #628 on: July 03, 2019, 04:37:48 PM »
Thanks @Trifele We're having a fun time with it. I have day dreams that it will one day look as clean and well kept as Monty Don's but let's be honest - it's his fulltime job and he's had over 25 years on that plot.

Spotted the dreaded squash vine borer in the pumpkin patch. I covered the base stalks of all the pumpkins so they now look like the tin foil hat club. Not sure if that trick is an old wives tale though. Anyone else had luck deterring borers?

I somehow missed this and posted about my SVB issues, too.  I'm having the same problem and I tried the tin foil, too.  We'll see what happens. 

I have read a lot about this over the years and am trying a few things.  I plant C. Moschata varieties (and don't really care if/when they cross), but they also get chomped.  They do survive better, but SVB will still lay eggs and your plants can be stunted or die, especially if you have a long breeding season.  Some people have found success covering their plants until after the breeding season.  Beyond that, I have read that planting cukes and pumpkin intermixed can be helpful, but this is my first year trying it.  If I remember, I'll report back.  Other things I've read about - using yellow bowls with soapy water near the pumpkin plant in hopes of catching them (no idea how well this really works), BT injected into stems can kill the larvae, and using a trap crop like Hubbard.  SVB love Hubbard and will usually go for that plant above all others.  The problem arises when that plant has died from the infestation and SVB are still laying eggs in your area. 

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #629 on: July 06, 2019, 03:55:58 PM »
Suggestions for what to do with too much thyme? A few weeks ago I snipped off probably about 1/4 of the bush and dried it. I just took all the leaves off the stems and I have a full half-pint jar of it. I don't eat THAT much thyme! And the thing just keeps growing and growing and getting bigger.

Anyone have vegetarian recipes that use up a lot of it?

Buntastic

« Reply #630 on: July 06, 2019, 04:14:21 PM »
Suggestions for what to do with too much thyme? A few weeks ago I snipped off probably about 1/4 of the bush and dried it. I just took all the leaves off the stems and I have a full half-pint jar of it. I don't eat THAT much thyme! And the thing just keeps growing and growing and getting bigger.

Anyone have vegetarian recipes that use up a lot of it?

What about making gifts? Dried, herb salt, etc.

Buntastic

« Reply #631 on: July 07, 2019, 04:45:38 PM »
Spotted several large areas of cracked soil (sign of low organic matter) in the beds I was weeding today. These beds were last year’s potato beds, so lots of soil disturbance when I dug the potatoes.

Really poor soil tilth, much worse than the rest of the garden despite LOTS of organic matter being piled on them to hill the potatoes up last year. (This is one reason I’m trying the stacking box method for potatoes this year - it’s essentially a final “turning” of compost before using it on the garden, not a destruction of valuable fungal networks in the permanent beds.)

Side dressed after the picture with fresh rabbit manure to put some armor back on the soil. Hopefully the urine content isn’t too high and burns the plants.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #632 on: July 07, 2019, 05:50:40 PM »
Came back after a week vacation. Asparagus (planted last year) is a mess of ferns about 4-5 feet high. Yay! Going to be able to take a bunch of it next year I think. It seems to be doing just fine...

Tomatoes mostly look good. Minimal signs of blight so far. Some of them grew way too fast to be able to route them all through the cages. Going to have to prune them a bit more aggressively than I would prefer but that's ok. Peppers looking better than I expected, hopefully we can get more of those from seed next year. We had to buy a bunch of the cheapo ones since ours mostly didn't sprout this year...

And omg so many volunteer tomatillos. We had I think two plants last year. And there are "weed" tomatillos everywhere in the garden.

Buntastic

« Reply #633 on: July 07, 2019, 07:14:53 PM »
Came back after a week vacation. Asparagus (planted last year) is a mess of ferns about 4-5 feet high. Yay! Going to be able to take a bunch of it next year I think. It seems to be doing just fine...

Tomatoes mostly look good. Minimal signs of blight so far. Some of them grew way too fast to be able to route them all through the cages. Going to have to prune them a bit more aggressively than I would prefer but that's ok. Peppers looking better than I expected, hopefully we can get more of those from seed next year. We had to buy a bunch of the cheapo ones since ours mostly didn't sprout this year...

And omg so many volunteer tomatillos. We had I think two plants last year. And there are "weed" tomatillos everywhere in the garden.

Asparagus - just watch for the asparagus beetle. Old-timer practice was burning the ferns in late fall or spring to destroy the eggs but I think disposing them in yard waste collection is sufficient. There’s probably some sort of organic spray to control them too.

Volunteer tomatillo - I’ve never grown them, but have grown ground cherries which are in the same genus and equally prolific about seeding themselves.

coffeefueled

• Stubble
« Reply #634 on: July 08, 2019, 08:21:40 AM »
SVB update: Noticed some wilted leaves and frass on a few stems. It looks like the tin foil did keep them off the main trunk, but a few found their way in further along the vine. I removed the wilted leaves and cut the stem connections with the frass then pulled out the larvae and squashed them. The rest of the plant is still really healthy so hopefully with frequent inspections and a little plant surgery I'll be able to head off the problem. Gross but effective as long as there's not too many.

Our tomato vines are taller than I am so I have to bring a stool into the garden to keep up with sucker removal. We have a ton of green tomatoes but only a few yellows so far. I suspect the squirrels may be getting curious and helping themselves. Really excited to see them start to ripen in the next week or two.

One of the deer got over my makeshift gate and ate the top off every pepper and trimmed the chukes. They all seem to be recovering fine, but it's accelerated our plans to expand the deer fence (and moved getting around to making a real garden gate to the top of the to do list). I wanted to turn that entire section of the yard into a cottage flower garden around the vegg patch, but I think we're going to have to fence the whole thing first. I'm debating what type to go with since I'm not sure DH is ok with a full height deer fence around that much of the front yard. I wish we had enough saplings to do a wattle/woven fence because I love the look of them on Gardener's World. Our tentative plan so far is a dark colored picket fence and some large plantings of deer friendly plants on the other side of the yard near the woods. Anyone know hardy fast growing east coast natives that deer like? Maybe honeysuckle? We have at least two fawns that use the sideyard as a bed down spot so we're assuming they're not going to ignore our yard anytime soon.

We decided we didn't like ground cherries because of their odd tomato pineapple cross flavor. I'm going to rip them all out and give the butternut squash more room to sprawl. I had high hopes for another fruit-like option but it was just too odd a combo. Has anyone else tried them? I think next year we'll try blueberry bushes instead.

Buntastic

« Reply #635 on: July 08, 2019, 11:29:46 AM »
@coffeefueled yeah, I couldn’t do the flavor of ground cherries either.

The only fruits I’ve been successful at growing have been raspberries (super easy), strawberries (taking a break this year and will build some new beds with hinged cages for a roof to critter proof them) and elderberries (really more of a medicinal).

I have read that deer don’t like to deal with fences that are spaced close to one another. So some folks do a fence, then a few feet inside of it, another fence/trellis. They have bad depth perception and can’t judge the jump. But, as with all “read it on the Internet” stuff, take with a lump of salt.

Can you do electric? You can train them to hot wire by putting aluminum foil strips with a little bit of peanut butter to attract them. They come up to sniff, then bam! high voltage right on the nose. Again, I’ve heard that, haven’t done it myself (deer so far haven’t penetrated into my neighborhood, a bit too far from a green belt I think), though I heard it from a credible source.

Cgbg

• Stubble
« Reply #636 on: July 08, 2019, 01:48:49 PM »
I loved the ground cherries that I grew 2 years ago. The only pain is that you have to wait until they fall off the plant- they aren’t ripe until then.

I mostly stick with perennial fruits. I think the raspberry bushes hav been in the ground for 3 years. It’s a nice size bush- doesn’t grow more than maybe 2 and a half feet. Most of the berries occur just under that height so easy to harvest too. Still spreads a bit- but I only put one bush in a 2’x4’ bed so I’ve been pulling up the new plants that pop out of the bed and putting them into the bed. Eventually I might replace my tall cane raspberries with the bushes.

I’ve had honey berry bushes in the ground for about 7 years and have gotten....zero honey berries. They really took off in growth this year so I’ll give them another year. They were wee sticks when I got them.

I planted an issai kiwi this year. I put it on the south end of the chicken run. The roof structure goes from 6’ to 12’ from the front side to the back which gives the vines plenty of growth areas. They are just starting to take off.

Buntastic

« Reply #637 on: July 08, 2019, 04:16:54 PM »
@Cgbg I’ve had honeyberries for a few years. Got a small handful one year of tiny berries and nothing since. I think I’m going to rip them out, my patience is over.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #638 on: July 08, 2019, 04:40:18 PM »
A few years ago I sold my Mom's home after she died.  She had planted a thornless blackberry bush. It took off and was quite huge. It produced gorgeous huge blackberries as big as a thumb. The people who bought the house cut it down. Later on my spouse spoke with the son and told him about the blackberries. The JERKS couldn't wait one season to see what it might be. They thought it was a wild bush and just got rid of it. STUPID!  This house also came with a custom awning for the deck with custom framework. The frame and awning probably cost around $6,000 or more. I had put the awning in storage for them and paid for it so it would go up the following spring at no cost to them. Once fall came, they didn't have it professionally taken down and stored. I am assuming they took it down and put in the shed outside. And, the shed most likely had mice that chewed it up during the winter months and ruined it. Well, instead of having another custom awning made, they just tore down the frame. OMG! The frame had to be more than $3,000. The deck gets blistering hot. Oh well, you can't fix stupid. A  new awning might have cost $1600. Yes, a lot of money but they seemed to like the awning while they had it.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #639 on: July 09, 2019, 08:36:05 AM »
There is deer fencing that is almost invisible - you can get easy to install posts for it (not so invisible) or attach it to trees. Comes in 5' and 7' heights.
https://deerfencecanada.com/

When I lived in a deer area my fence my wire fence had electric wire, because of groundhogs, and it worked for the deer too.  So did sticking dog fur in the wire fence spaces.

I had 4 small red peppers for dinner last night, picked from my plants that are in decorative pots.  Plants in the ground have tiny peppers, they will not be ripe for quite a while.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #640 on: July 09, 2019, 10:54:04 PM »
* Planted out four seedlings; I’ll take a fifth to my son’s school tomorrow in hopes that they can grow it in their school garden.

* Harvested some sorrel and curly dock leaves for a green smoothie.

* Cut back the overgrown oregano and the dead thyme and put in three more rosemary starts. Watered those and the pineapples, succulents and the staghorn fern.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #641 on: July 10, 2019, 06:33:14 PM »

I got my drop today!  Turns out it was from the arborist I typically use for me trees.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #642 on: July 11, 2019, 12:08:38 PM »

I got my drop today!  Turns out it was from the arborist I typically use for me trees.

It’s such an awesome service. After seeing the Back to Eden film I feel like ChipDrop is giving away free money, LOL.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #643 on: July 14, 2019, 05:01:20 AM »
Our big slicer tomatoes are here!  They're nothing special, just Better Boy plants I bought, but wow they taste good.  I have 8 plants in the ground and they are loaded.  We're getting 6-10 tomatoes every day.  We're making huge batches of gazpacho using our own tomatoes, peppers, and cukes.  Mmmm.  Liquid summer.

Gazpacho

2 cucumbers, halved and seeded, but not peeled
2-3 bell peppers, cored and seeded
4-8 tomatoes
1 red onion
3-6 garlic cloves, optional
4-6 cups tomato juice [If you use V8 or something similar, use the low sodium version AND also reduce or eliminate the salt you add, since the juice has salt]
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
salt to taste [we use about a teaspoon if the tomato juice we used had any salt in it, otherwise 2 tsp]
1 teaspoon black pepper

Roughly chop the cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, and red onions into 1-inch cubes.  Put each vegetable separately into a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until it is coarsely chopped.  Don't overprocess.

After each vegetable is chopped, combine them in a large bowl and add the garlic, tomato juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Mix well and chill before serving.  The longer gazpacho sits, the more the flavors develop.   It's fabulous after sitting in the fridge overnight, and still good for days after that.

This recipe (loosely borrowed from the Barefoot Contessa) is so simple, and endlessly flexible.  Add or leave out whatever you want, and experiment to get the right taste.   If you don't have any tomato juice on hand, you can just make it with more tomatoes, by processing some of them into juice.   

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #644 on: July 14, 2019, 02:19:59 PM »
Weird year - May was more cool and wet than usual, but it seems like the last several weeks have been ideal for warm weather crops.  However, I have pretty poor fruit set, and nothing anywhere near ripe on my tomatoes.  The eggplants seem to have set fruit, but they aren't growing like, at all.  Even the Slim Jims, which should be early and prolific. The broccoli just started to create heads, then each one would bolt. So far only one summer squash.  Most of my winter squash died, but the melon vines are sprawling and looking great.  At least the peppers seem to be doing well, I'm harvesting garlic and I have a lot of volunteer fennel that the pollinators will be enjoying as it starts to bloom.

I was really hoping for better after redoing beds and bringing in so much new manure last fall, but oh well. 

There is some vacant area where the squash vines should be, so I'm going to start some cauliflower and broccoli for a fall crop and hope for better results.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #645 on: July 14, 2019, 02:25:12 PM »
I went out of town for a few days and came back to TONS of ripe raspberries. Yum! Also got a handful of sungolds and a handful of Red Robin cherries (TINY dwarf plant but tasty tomatoes!). The hanging basket continues to look like shit and continues to pump out tomatoes, I've gotten close to 70 so far, I think?

This part sucks. A week or so ago my community garden was notified by the property owner we rent from that we're not allowed to have the water hooked up at all times any more because it is a safety hazard. (Which, they have a point, the hose goes across a public sidewalk and taps into the city water hookup that's there but we're careful to tape down the hose and it has been like this for NINE YEARS so why is this suddenly a thing? Why did the city let us do this in the first place if this was a liability? And no, no one got injured or anything.) So now we have a rota for taking turns filling the troughs and all the watering cans, because apparently it's OK for the water to be on if "official" garden staff is there? They're working with the alderman on a way to get it hooked up differently so we can water our gardens in the heat.

So, that's a pain in the ass, but, the part that REALLY gets me is, apparently the garden's landlord also complained that the garden looks "junky." Because we have things like trellises and support poles in our garden beds, which are, y'know, NECESSARY for plants, and I'm sorry, when was I and my garden suddenly teleported to fucking stepford suburbia where folks like to tell other folks what they're allowed to put in their gardens? (I live in a very liberal, live-and-let-live neighborhood in Chicago where things like growing one's own food and front yards full of pollinator plants instead of grass are normal. This is not the sort of place where one's HOA is going to have palpitations if you are growing vegetables on your property or anything).

I looked around the garden earlier today and I saw.... garden beds. Some with handmade wooden supports. Most with tomato cages. Many, including mine, with poles securing the bunny-proof fences (necessary as we have bunny problems in there). I guess I don't see what the problem is. We're doing what our plants need.

Reading between the lines, I think it's fairly likely they're not going to let us have the site for our garden anymore, which would suck because it's walkable for me and I don't want to switch sites and get on the train every time I have to tend the garden (or have to get zipcars to haul larger stuff like bags of compost). This all sucks.

coffeefueled

• Stubble
« Reply #646 on: July 14, 2019, 04:03:10 PM »
Could you dig out beneath the sidewalk enough to put in a 3 inch pipe and run the hose through that to the hookup?

Sorry, that sucks. Does sound like the property landlord has traditional versions of property values on the brain and doesn't realize what a positive it is for the community. I hope they don't shut you down. When I used to live in Arlington, Va the waiting list to join one of the community gardens was years long. It took me 5 years to get a call, but by that time I had moved.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #647 on: July 14, 2019, 07:13:36 PM »
Could you dig out beneath the sidewalk enough to put in a 3 inch pipe and run the hose through that to the hookup?

That's the plan; our garden organizers are working on getting quotes from contractors and drawn-up plans, which apparently are necessary for the permit. We've been asked to contact the alderman (who is also my alderman, I live in the same ward as the garden) to voice support for this plan, so I did that today.

It's the "junky" criticism that is really making me angry, honestly. The water thing, OK, yes, that's a safety issue and when I first started gardening here even I looked at that and thought, "huh, that's OK with the city? All right, then!" . But to comment on the aesthetics of a community garden whose function is to grow food (oh, did I mention that we also have charity garden beds and donate literally hundreds of pounds of produce to the local food pantry? Yeah) just seems so tone deaf to me.

Buntastic

« Reply #648 on: July 14, 2019, 07:55:19 PM »
@Tris Prior good luck! On the water pipe, maybe it took that long for someone to complain? Weird.

———

So I’m starting a potentially very interesting project. I’m calling it the Milwaukee Garden Co-op. The idea is to give gardeners with surplus produce a way to market produce (either free, fixed price, or pay what you can) to neighbors. It’s also a place for gardeners seeking more space to connect with neighbors offering space. I’m also offering mentorship for people learning gardening.

I’m also wanting to do this as a way to give my kids some very early work experience before they’re old enough to apply for more conventional teenager jobs.

Not sure if I’ll get more people than just myself selling and mentoring but so far I’ve been selling on a “pay what you can” (with free as an option) basis and I’m now backordered on green beans, lol. Have some interest in rhubarb (both stalks and divisions) and I’ll be selling garlic when I harvest it this week.

Met with a neighbor that should be a great fit developing a good chunk of his yard into garden space. A few other people offered me space as well, but he offered the most space, and it turned out even better than I thought.  We’re going to start with the back yard but he’s open to doing at least some of the front yard as well. He’s offered to pay for all the materials, wants to help do some of the work, and he owns a bar/liquor store so he’s got access to oodles of cardboard. Super cool guy, we talked for quite a while.

Did some brief measuring and brainstorming with him, should be able to fit 10 or more 4x8 beds into his backyard. I think between that, whatever he’s comfortable allowing me have in the front yard, and further optimization of my own garden I’ve got a nice setup for next season.

If I have the time to get things started soon enough, I can probably eke a bit of production out of his yard yet this year.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #649 on: July 14, 2019, 08:10:27 PM »
Wow, that sounds like a cool project @Buntastic !

@Tris Prior I hope the garden landlord relents.  In my mind, a "junky" garden would be one with dead plants and overgrown weeds, not homemade plant supports.  Geeze.