Author Topic: Planting / Growing your own 2018  (Read 94118 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: Planting / Growing your own 2018
« Reply #350 on: May 27, 2018, 02:45:27 PM »
It's 100+ today and we're gone for the weekend :\

I watered most things heavily friday before leaving. But it's super warm for May right now. Hoping things survive...

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #351 on: May 27, 2018, 07:16:14 PM »
Made soup today with carrots, rosemary, and a couple parsley leaves from the garden. I planted a bunch of parsley seeds but only one grew and it's pretty scraggly. I've been waiting for it to fill in but it doesn't look like it's going to. The carrots have been really successful, and the kids love picking them and eating them straight out of the ground (after washing, of course), so I think I'll try planting another crop in the fall.

Spied a couple zucchini that I expect will be ready to eat by next weekend.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #352 on: May 28, 2018, 08:55:42 AM »
Apart from the immense satisfaction that comes with producing your own food - last night featured a big garden salad and freshly caught fish - there is also the fact that I find the garden just a wonderful place TO BE.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #353 on: May 28, 2018, 05:06:53 PM »
It's 100+ today and we're gone for the weekend :\

I watered most things heavily friday before leaving. But it's super warm for May right now. Hoping things survive...

Outdoors things seemed to have survived.

Some of the peppers inside our 4 season porch though.... :\ I think I should have brought them inside. Will see how they recover but it's not looking good.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #354 on: May 29, 2018, 07:27:02 AM »
My new garden is coming along.
Harvested a small bowl of the most super sweet tasting snow peas.
Beets, cilantro, shelling peas, snow peas, lettuce, cukes, zukes, potatoes, new asparagus, and spicy greens are all up.
Transplanted tomatoes, zukes, rhubarb, peppers, basil and onions all appear to be settling in. 

Chipmunk barrier is holding steady.

Finntastic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #355 on: May 29, 2018, 08:57:20 AM »
Got about 100–120 fruit trees which of currently only bananas, limes and lamiyai are bringing fruits but 2 years from now should have plenty more than we can eat.

Should mention that this farm locates at my weekend offgrid house in Northern Thailand

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #356 on: May 29, 2018, 09:20:36 AM »
My spinach is doing so well this year, even in the heat! Usually it's sparse with small leaves and it bolts as soon as it gets a whiff of 90-degree temps. This year I'm getting huge crisp leaves as big as my hand.

The cilantro did bolt, though. Oh well. I don't have much luck with cilantro; should probably give up on trying to grow it as it only does well for a few weeks. I don't have the patience to keep starting it from seed over and over again like I've read you're supposed to.

All tomatoes are now in the ground and look good!

And, I'm so excited - my purple raspberry bush that did exactly jack shit last year is starting to form buds! Not many, but as I got zero berries last year from it and it never even flowered, this is progress.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #357 on: May 29, 2018, 11:53:36 AM »
Got about 100–120 fruit trees which of currently only bananas, limes and lamiyai are bringing fruits but 2 years from now should have plenty more than we can eat.

Should mention that this farm locates at my weekend offgrid house in Northern Thailand

Green with envy even if I have no idea what lamiyai are.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #358 on: May 29, 2018, 12:53:58 PM »
My spinach is doing so well this year, even in the heat! Usually it's sparse with small leaves and it bolts as soon as it gets a whiff of 90-degree temps. This year I'm getting huge crisp leaves as big as my hand.

I've been enjoying a wonderful spinach crop as well Tris...unfortunately a warmer and drier than normal May has much of it bolting with abandon now. I've made a note NOT to plant Samish variety spinach again...this bolted a full month before my Tyee and Olympia varieties. Oh, how I will miss the wonderful fresh spinach salads and spinach based pastas.

One positive is that once I clear out all the spinach that will open up some much needed garden space. Not sure what I'm going to plant there, probably this coming weekend....

Finntastic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #359 on: May 30, 2018, 02:07:20 AM »

Sorry about that I always thought it was the English name for it, but turned out its called Longan in English
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 04:00:01 AM by Finntastic »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #360 on: May 30, 2018, 04:23:59 AM »

Sorry about that I always thought it was the English name for it, but turned out its called Longan in English

Thank you Finntastic! I have never heard of the Longan either, but I just googled it and learned something new. 

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #361 on: May 30, 2018, 07:27:19 AM »

I've been enjoying a wonderful spinach crop as well Tris...unfortunately a warmer and drier than normal May has much of it bolting with abandon now. I've made a note NOT to plant Samish variety spinach again...this bolted a full month before my Tyee and Olympia varieties.

You know, I've tried all the heirloom longstanding and slow-bolting varieties with little luck - and the spinach that's performing well now are these boring Bonnie Spinach plants I picked up at Home Depot on sale. Go figure.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #362 on: May 30, 2018, 03:23:30 PM »
We need some rain here.  North end of town got some on Saturday evening.  None here.  Going to have to water with city water again today.  It has been windy and 30C today.  Might be some showers tonight but I am not sure if I can risk the seedling going until tomorrow if it doesn't rain.  Rain barrels are empty.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #363 on: May 31, 2018, 04:53:32 AM »
We need some rain here.  North end of town got some on Saturday evening.  None here.  Going to have to water with city water again today.  It has been windy and 30C today.  Might be some showers tonight but I am not sure if I can risk the seedling going until tomorrow if it doesn't rain.  Rain barrels are empty.

We got some needed rain yesterday, otherwise I was due to water this morning before we go up to a bit over 30C again.

Could poke your finger in the soil to judge moisture and make a call then. I find everything does much better with rain than city water, but city water isn’t hugely expensive, so I irrigate whenever needed.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #364 on: May 31, 2018, 05:05:10 AM »
I ended up watering.  Surface was completely dry.  Peppers are in bud to  actually blooming.  Most of the seeds are just up.  I have straw over most areas but am waiting for the actual rows to come up before putting the last bits of straw down.  It hasn't rained yet.   Looks like it could today.

Harvested greens, basil, peas and chard.  Nothing tastes better than peas straight from the pod.  Greenhouse pea experiment is a success.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #365 on: May 31, 2018, 06:40:33 AM »
Peas are definitely something best very fresh! I spotted my first pea bloom yesterday. Yield won’t be incredible as I’ve got them in my most marginal bed but they’re growing better there than anything I tried last year, even with this crazy heat.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #366 on: May 31, 2018, 07:13:25 AM »
Forecast yesterday was storms all day long. When it still hadn't rained, and didn't look like it might, by the time I got off work around 6, I went and watered. An hour later we had torrential downpours. Oh well.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #367 on: May 31, 2018, 07:32:31 AM »
Forecast yesterday was storms all day long. When it still hadn't rained, and didn't look like it might, by the time I got off work around 6, I went and watered. An hour later we had torrential downpours. Oh well.
If you hadn't watered it probably wouldn't have. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #368 on: June 01, 2018, 08:44:44 AM »
We are hot and humid with promised thunderstorms.  We are not parched but a thunderstorm or 3 would be welcome.  This 83% humidity is getting to me.  At least the night-time temperatures are warm enough that the tomatoes and sweet potatoes can get planted this weekend.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #369 on: June 01, 2018, 08:55:54 AM »
My plants must be so confused. Yesterday it was nearly 90. Right now: 57. Ugh.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #370 on: June 01, 2018, 09:02:59 AM »
I haven't posted here this year yet. We had an abnormally cold spring (still having lots of 30/40 degree days in April) and now we have temps in high 80s.

My spring plantings failed miserably. My peas just sort of petered out and my spinach was puny and then bolted. Broccoli, collards and brussel sprouts might make it though.

My fingers are crossed for tomatoes, green beans and squash and I usually have luck with beets. I also planted more herbs than usual this year and I planted some cut flowers this year (zinnias and blacked eyed susans).

The thing that I am most excited about is that I made a cool double tee-pee with a connecting arch for the entrance to my garden. Between that and the flowers, it should at least look pretty.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #371 on: June 01, 2018, 10:53:28 AM »
@StarBright are you planning to grow anything on the arch?

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #372 on: June 01, 2018, 11:02:00 AM »
@furrychickens - green beans!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #373 on: June 01, 2018, 11:03:17 AM »

Nice! I’ve thought about doing a trellis arch over my front walk. Me being a fan of redneck engineering, it will probably be a bent cattle panel, lol.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #374 on: June 01, 2018, 11:04:31 AM »

Nice! I’ve thought about doing a trellis arch over my front walk. Me being a fan of redneck engineering, it will probably be a bent cattle panel, lol.

I used two hula hoops (painted dark green)!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #375 on: June 01, 2018, 06:15:43 PM »
Encore lettuce mix from Johnny’s made a tasty salad base tonight, impressed with how it handled the crazy heat and was only barely bitter.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #376 on: June 01, 2018, 06:55:41 PM »
"There's no such thing as sustainable, only exponential growth, or exponential decay" --> https://youtu.be/nEQRjMb0Q_Y?t=9m30s

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #377 on: June 03, 2018, 06:01:34 PM »
Planted, irrigated, and mulched the rest of the peppers today. Also mulched the previously planted peppers and relocated raspberries. Up to:

• 11 tomatoes (early girl, brandywine, amish paste)
  • 2 cherry tomatoes (sungold. the. best. cherries!)
  • 3 tomatillos
  • 36 peppers (variety)

Fun to see them grow.

Was surprised how big the plants were for June - it's only June 3rd! We still have 3 full growing months! If these plants survive (go away blight...) we're going to have huge pepper/tomato plants. I pruned a decent amount of the lower tomato leaves, too. Hard to believe how much tomato plants just explode with growth once they get settled and have warmth, sun, and water.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #378 on: June 03, 2018, 06:12:02 PM »
Today I finished my 2 week project of clearing 3 raised beds (2 years worth of weeds), adding massive amounts of compost, and planting.  Now in the garden are 9 tomato plants, 4 sweet peppers, and a bunch of sweet potatoes.  Still to go are 3 cucumber plants, but they will have to wait, tomorrow is supposed to rain all day.  Plus some beans will get planted once the rain stops.

And I am exhausted.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #379 on: June 04, 2018, 06:58:56 AM »
Trying out my new herb drying rack with some oregano. Unfortunately also dealing with some pest damage on oregano and mint. Anyone dealt with tiny red bugs that leave spots in the leafs?

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #380 on: June 04, 2018, 08:17:41 AM »
I spent a little time Saturday afternoon and a big chunk of time Sunday morning in the garden.  I think they are full - no more seedlings or new plants will fit. I got most of it weeded.  Most of the straw mulch is down - although I have a little bit more for the areas I just planted once the seeds are up. Things are coming along nicely.  Good blooms on the plants I grew from seed.  The roots I bought have all sprouted shoots - and hopefully in a couple of years my days of buying rhubarb and asparagus are done.

And tonight it is dropping to 6C overnight - WTF it is June.  I have covered my peppers and cukes etc with floating row covers.  The tomatoes are a little more challenging.  I think I am just going to fill every jug I have with more rain barrel water and arrange them around them for a little thermal mass.  I can't cover them unless I take out the stakes and many of the plants are all twisted around them. 

Nice herb drying rack @furrychickens .  No experience with red bugs.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #381 on: June 04, 2018, 09:04:35 AM »
We were 28C two days ago, yesterday was 23, today is 10 (10!!!) and raining.  No single digits forecast though, which is good because the sweet potatoes don't like cold.

Tiny red insects, could they be red spider mites?

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #382 on: June 04, 2018, 09:21:31 AM »
This weather's been crazy. Nearly 90 one day, 50s the next. Not as cold as you all are north of the border, though! Yikes!

Frugal Lizard, do you have a frost blanket? I have had success in the past sort of clipping the frost blanket around the tomato cages. You have to clip it securely though or else it'll become a sail in the wind.

My spinach bolted. Boooooo.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #383 on: June 04, 2018, 09:32:15 AM »
@Tris Prior I do not have such a thing.   
@RetiredAt63  check your overnight lows. 
I am not going to spend anymore on stuff.   Will take photos of my water jig installation and report on how it all works out. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #384 on: June 04, 2018, 09:53:46 AM »

RetiredAt63  check your overnight lows. 

lows 10, 11, 11, 9, 12, 10, 12
highs 15, 17, 19, 21, 22, 22, 23

This is June?

Great gardening/cycling temperatures though.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #385 on: June 04, 2018, 09:56:49 AM »
I hear that. Every year I think about how, while most of my plants are grown from free seed, I end up spending an awful lot of money combating the challenging growing conditions we have here - everything from frost blankets because it gets freaking cold in JUNE sometimes, to bird netting so that I get to enjoy at least some of my berries, to rabbit fencing to keep the bunnies out of the lettuce, to various organic remedies for whatever's chewing on my leaves. It's a wonder we all manage to grow anything edible sometimes, you know? haha.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #386 on: June 04, 2018, 10:31:42 AM »
@RetiredAt63 you have way better weather than me!  overnight 6, 7, 9, for the next three nights!
@Tris Prior - I already bought netting that is finer than a chipmunk head to try and get something!  I am cutting myself off.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #387 on: June 04, 2018, 10:33:24 AM »
We were 28C two days ago, yesterday was 23, today is 10 (10!!!) and raining.  No single digits forecast though, which is good because the sweet potatoes don't like cold.

Tiny red insects, could they be red spider mites?

That was a possible pest that came up in my searches. Will have to pay more attention and figure out what my strategy is going to be for intervention.

krmit

• Stubble
« Reply #388 on: June 04, 2018, 11:02:24 AM »
First harvest of snap peas is ready! First non-herb harvest of the summer.

My tomato plants are huge and flowering all over the place. Hoping it will be a better year for tomatoes than last year.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #389 on: June 04, 2018, 11:38:13 AM »
Picked some not quite ripe haskap in my excitement spotting them turn color. (Apparently they turn color 1-2 weeks before being dead ripe, like blackberries.) At this stage I find them edible, though sour with a slight astringent taste. Like a not fully ripe blueberry crossed with a not dead-ripe gooseberry, if that makes any sense. Excited, as I've been waiting 2 years to try these things, though there's so much new breeding work being done on them that my plants are already obsolescent. They're very pretty shrubs, though, and hopefully will bear nicely. Yields are supposed to be 4-6lb per bush when mature.

For how slow our spring seemed in April and early May, it's caught up in a hurry!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #390 on: June 04, 2018, 02:06:50 PM »
@furrychickens - Only problem with haskaps are that squirrels, chipmunks, robins and every other large bird loves them - and not yet ripe.  Damn tasty if any are left to get ripe.

I put a bunch of jugs of water along the row of tomatoes to act as a little wind break for them.  I am feeling pretty happy with how it is coming together from no garden to this.  I also am thrilled with how well the basil, peppers and cukes are doing in the greenhouse.  We have had enough sun today that it is a toasty 26C today.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #391 on: June 04, 2018, 02:52:26 PM »
@RetiredAt63 you have way better weather than me!  overnight 6, 7, 9, for the next three nights!

We may drown instead.  We had already had 1.4" of rain when I left for Ottawa, and I drove through 2 downpours - I heard people referring to them as monsoons.  It will be interesting to check the rain gauge when I get back.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #392 on: June 04, 2018, 06:38:32 PM »

We may drown instead.  We had already had 1.4" of rain when I left for Ottawa, and I drove through 2 downpours - I heard people referring to them as monsoons.  It will be interesting to check the rain gauge when I get back.
oops I take that back.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #393 on: June 04, 2018, 06:58:37 PM »
Wasn't sure if soil was warm enough to reliably direct seed melons, but one hill has 100% germination already after only a few days in the ground. Growing an Ananais type (Dove) and a Muskmelon variety(Hannah's Choice)

Last year I grew the recommended way, from transplant, and slugs killed every single plant. Will be interesting to see if these are hardier

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #394 on: June 05, 2018, 05:14:50 AM »
Our one mature cherry tree came ripe, and we picked two quarts from it.  :)  The tulle worked like a charm -- SO much better than bird netting.   (I hate how bird netting snags on the leaves and branches and pulls fruit off when you move it).

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #395 on: June 05, 2018, 06:08:03 AM »
I love the greenhouse frugal lizard!

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #396 on: June 05, 2018, 07:48:33 AM »
Excited!  Yesterday was the first harvest that yielded enough for dinner for the 4 of us.  Made Moroccan tagine!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #397 on: June 05, 2018, 08:06:55 AM »
Trifele, that looks sooooo much easier than the netting! I think I am going to go get some this weekend before the blueberries get any bigger. I have not been able to face putting the netting on, haha. I told Boyfriend he was going to help me with it this week and he let out a huge groan!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #398 on: June 05, 2018, 01:44:40 PM »
Trifele, that looks sooooo much easier than the netting! I think I am going to go get some this weekend before the blueberries get any bigger. I have not been able to face putting the netting on, haha. I told Boyfriend he was going to help me with it this week and he let out a huge groan!

Yeah -- much easier.  I got mine at Joanne craft store.  It was $1.59 on sale per yard, regularly $3.00 a yard.  Watch out for the width of the fabric -- between different makers it varied from 53" up to 108" -- it's on the sticker at the top of the bolt.  (No idea why it varies so much.)  I went with the wider version.  I just used a regular paper stapler to join pieces together, and then tied it on with twine.  I've got it on the blueberry bushes too.  Holding up well so far, and it does fine in the rain and wind.

Good luck!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #399 on: June 05, 2018, 01:51:46 PM »
On the tulle, I’m letting y’all (and some folks in FB groups) be guinea pigs for me before buying any, lol.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!