Author Topic: Planting and Growing Your Own - 2020  (Read 61895 times)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
Re: Planting and Growing Your Own - 2020
« Reply #650 on: August 16, 2020, 06:37:01 PM »
@Trifele Those are beautiful pears.

We need rain badly.  We got a little sprinkle but barely wet the ground.  I was worried I was losing the crop so started watering, but Mother Nature does a much better job!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #651 on: August 16, 2020, 09:10:57 PM »
@Trifele Those are beautiful pears.

We need rain badly.  We got a little sprinkle but barely wet the ground.  I was worried I was losing the crop so started watering, but Mother Nature does a much better job!

We had a downpour this afternoon, showers tonight continuing into tomorrow.  We really needed the rain, I  hope it rained equally hard at the garden.

My bush beans are nearly finished but the pole beans are starting production.  So much easier to pick, and each bean is so much larger.  Next year I will still plant some bush beans because they are earlier, but will definitely plant more pole beans, on taller supports.

Recycling: the cardboard carton my freezer came in is now "mulch" at the garden.  It should keep the weeds down.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #652 on: August 16, 2020, 09:25:24 PM »
Spent some time today cleaning up and preserving my latest veg haul.  I blanched two ginormous bunches of kale and tossed it in the freezer.  I’m now wondering how else to fix it, other than throwing it in soups.  I prepped some Malabar spinach for a salad.

The paste tomatoes and small cherries are being slow roasted and turned into sauce in a food mill.  I’m kind of shocked at just how many it takes to make sauce and am now wondering if I will be canning much.  Depending on how the rest of the season goes I may end up making chow chow or something.

I guess I would say that so far my garden has been an eat as you go endeavor.  I’m of two minds about this... on the one hand it’s nice to have enough plus a little extra to share.  On the other hand, I think we should be trying to produce enough to have lots preserved.  But then when faced with it, I kind of dread the work of anything that can’t be done in small batches.  After all, we’re just two people.

Last night I created a slow roasted sheet pan of yellow summer squash, onions, cherry tomatoes, and sweet red peppers with Italian seasoning and took it to a family cookout.  Everyone raved, and I was shocked at how much produce I used in just one dish.

Our onions and shallots were fully cured, so I finally cleaned them up and stored them.  They won’t last long.  We use a ton of them in cooking, and imagine they will be gone in another couple of months.  This bums me out.  I know onions are cheap and easy to buy, but we love every manner of them and next year want to devote more space to them. 

This is our first year gardening in a new location and I’m learning a lot.  Some plants (kale and tomatoes) have produced heavily.  But, it’s been hot and weird this summer, so our cool season crops have been nothing to write home about so far.  We’re doing second cropping, learning to contend with bunnies, and trying to figure out what warrants more space next year.  I’m also growing lots of veg I have zero experience with.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 09:27:37 PM by Trudie »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #653 on: August 17, 2020, 09:43:07 AM »
I love kale chips - it meets my need for a salty snack just fine.  I would think it would keep for a while if dried enough.

My garlic crop is cured but a large part of the harvest is not going to store well.  It is going mushy and mealy.  Should I just toss it now?  I left it too long in the ground. 

This fall I am going to start with seed garlic in case this is a disease thing.  I am also going to plant it out at my parent's farm where there was never been any garlic.  I decided to reserve my city garden for crops that I harvest daily and all storage crops will go into the farm where picking can happen once a week.  I have staying on top of the weeding so I think I can plant onions, garlic, carrots, beets and the black beans out there with the potatoes, curcubits and roma tomatoes. 

My city garden has a soil problem.  This fall I am going to have to undertake a massive amendment effort.  I used a commercial fertilizer on a bunch of the struggling tomatoes and peppers.  Boom, they all perked up. 

My plan is to:
dig a trench 18 inches wide and six inches deep
fill trench halfway with leaves, manure, compost, straw
place half of excavated soil back
add another couple of inches of well rotted manure
add remaining soil. 

I will try to do all the rows I currently have (12) but if this is too much, I will start with a few and work my way across the garden.

Good news: all the seedlings that I plunked into the ground beyond the garden fence are thriving and setting fruit.  They look better than the ones in the garden which is demoralizing on one hand, but at least I might get a few more tomatoes!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #654 on: August 19, 2020, 01:55:54 PM »
Paraphrased from the Ball Book of Canning and Preserving:

In a food processor or blender, add:

1 garlic clove (I used 3 because no one gets to tell me how much garlic is too much)
1 hot green pepper
1 tsp grated ginger

Blend until it's all in really little bits, then add:

1c mint
1c cilantro
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c lemon juice
1/2 tsp cumin powder (optional)

Blend until smooth. You can add a wee bit of water if necessary. I've also followed a recipe that calls for apple cider vinegar, so if you don't want to literally water down the goodness, add a splash of that. Pour/smear into an ice cube tray. Clean food processor with naan (or your face if you can get it in there - just don't waste the goodness).

So I just made a batch of this using peppermint @Sun Hat -- and I cannot. stop. eating. it.  So delicious!  I'm smearing it on naan and topping with slices of avocado.  YUMMMMM . . .

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #655 on: August 20, 2020, 02:19:00 AM »
@Trifele I'm so glad that you're enjoying it as much as I do. I've been encouraging my mint to grow faster just so that I can make more! Next year I have to try growing cilantro too.

Me too!  I didn't grow cilantro this year and I regretted it.  There are two or three things I make regularly with cilantro, so next year I need a good size patch of it. 

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #656 on: August 25, 2020, 02:25:21 PM »
How is it going gardeners?  Anyone having good luck with fall harvest crops.  We are having a lot of heat and little rain so most of the sowing that I have been doing have not been very successful. 

The pole beans have been crazy productive.  Since we can barely keep up, I have been letting some of the beans ripen to the point that they will be eaten as shelled beans.  Last night I added 1/2 cup to fried rice last night.  They were delicious.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #657 on: August 26, 2020, 04:24:24 AM »
Going well here!  Most of the fall crops are doing well.  We've been lucky with some moderate weather -- not too hot or dry.  The sugar snap peas look really beautiful, as do the kale, spinach, chard, and lettuce. The carrots look healthy, but they're growing very slowly for some reason. 

Exceptions are the cabbage (which is being munched to death by the cabbage worms, way worse than in the spring) and the pak choi, which is falling victim to the flea beetles.  I guess it was just too early for those two?  I'm going to do a succession planting this week and see if they do better.  Ah well, that's why I planted a big variety this fall -- you gotta figure not everything will do well. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #658 on: August 27, 2020, 09:29:22 AM »
Too damn hot to garden - can't wait for late October to start living in the garden again.

AVOCADOS - harvest time!
Ripe and glorious - from our 40ft - 70yr old tree.
We'll be sharing with the neighbors and co-workers.

BANANAS - one dwarf and one full size
Tried for the first time this year - growing well but no sign of bananas yet.
The Vanilla Ice Cream Banana Tree grew from two inches to 12 feet since April - and drumroll - has a two foot pup, super exciting:).
The dwarf banana grew from two inches to three feet so far - will reach six feet, no pups - yet.

MORINGA TREE
WOW - grew from 12 inches to over 20ft since April. Turned into a slim, pretty, lacy leaved tree.
Lovely scented creamy white blooms and plenty of seeds.
My plan is to harvest and dry the leaves from one branch (testing) and save the seeds - in the next couple of weeks.

TROPICAL BLACKBERRY JAM BUSHES
Grew between 4 inches to 8 inches since April.
Talk about slow growers, I do hope they will survive the summer - started out with 12? seedlings - four are still alive and looking good.

AFRICAN BLUE BASIL - Bees love it and it smells heavenly!
I now have seven bushes - three mega-sized four to five foot bushes and four regular-sized - two to three foot.
All planted from 4 to 6in baby plants taken from the six year old mother plant.
You can hear the buzzing of the uber gentle bees whenever I cut a bit for cooking.

TAPIOCA PLANT - CASSAVA - YUCA (Manihot)
My, what a pretty plant this is. Lovely bright green and cream, variegated, umbrella leaves with deep-red side branches.
Yes, you can eat the roots and it is apparently a huge crop around the world, but I planted it for it's beauty. Grew from two inches to three feet.
I noticed how now that the heat index is over 100 it droops in the day time - I really want to keep it alive and hopefully grow more next year.

It was rather expensive since they touted it as a rare tropical plant but Youtube says it is easy to propagate, just stick the main stem in water and be sure to protect it from the cold. I'd like to try several in different locations in the garden - maybe I can find the perfect spot to make it happy.
Fingers crossed it will live until October even if I have to baby it a bit in it's first year.

This season so far:
The weeds have taken over and everything needs cutting, attention or water. I lost 50% of the new plants that I tried this year, I'm not happy about that.
I gained some lovely perennial beauties and even a few rarities - so it is not all bad.

All in all I think my experimentation paid off, but I suppose if I had a sprinkler system and more help it might actually look great:) despite the heat.
The TARO plants I dug up and replanted were a huge success and are now between five and seven feet.

Looking back, I tried over one hundred new varieties from trees to bushes to flowers and veggies, fruits and rare tropicals.
So much fun:).
Next round will be more about duplicating successes, playing with a ton of seed packages, trying other varieties of passion fruit since I killed my two new plants and finding the honeysuckle plants I want. The rest will be - replanting, dividing, cuttings.
Coffee and Nuts were on my list but didn't happen this year, but they will top my very short wishlist of new things to try this fall and next spring.

LOOKING FORWARD TO FALL
Year two in my newest garden area might just turn into a tropical haven - I can't wait.
Just trying to keep things alive until then.

How does your garden grow? ..... :).

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #659 on: August 29, 2020, 02:16:21 PM »
Wow @Rosy, that is a massive amount of experimentation this year -- love it!

I have a tree question for you and everyone else:  So I have a three year old dwarf Japanese persimmon tree that didn't come through the winter very well.  It leafed out in spring, but then we were hit with a freakishly late freeze and the whole tree died to the ground.  Then in late spring it sent up shoots and made leaves from the roots.  It's a little thing now, about a foot tall.  I realize we are right at the edge of where it is possible to grow these guys climate-wise, but I have another one that is doing well so far, so I'd like to keep the little damaged dude alive if I can.   

I think I have two choices for saving the damaged tree, (1) leave it in the ground and just insulate it to the max this winter, try to bring it through without any further top death, and (2) dig it up, put it in a big pot, and overwinter it inside.  Nurse it along and then re-plant it outside next spring.

What do you all think?

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #660 on: August 29, 2020, 05:33:34 PM »
@Trifele - I'd leave him in the ground and uber protect him - give him some extra TLC until he is strong again.
My thinking is he must like the spot or he wouldn't have resprouted so let the roots get stronger and leave him be.

Since my last post
We have almost ripe PAPAYAS!!!
In April I planted two in the ground and one in a pot. They all look good.
The one in the pot is still quite small - maybe three feet, the other in the ground is tall about ten feet - no sign of papayas.
The one with our first papayas has a thicker trunk and immense leaves - it is ten feet plus.
These were plant babies from the neighbor who got them from her dad who is an avid gardener. None of hers - she planted five have papayas yet.

I'll see about posting a pic of the Papaya tree - I feel like a proud mom showing off her new baby.

Looking back I did more experimentation this spring than I realized. Bonus - I still have enough seeds for fall and next spring.
I discovered that my favorite Zinnias reseeded themselves en masse - so now I have to figure out how to transplant the seedlings without killing them.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #661 on: August 29, 2020, 08:19:59 PM »
We got our very first egg today! 20 weeks after our chickens were hatched, and boy did they let out a little dance party when it happened, too! 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #662 on: August 30, 2020, 04:01:50 AM »
We got our very first egg today! 20 weeks after our chickens were hatched, and boy did they let out a little dance party when it happened, too!

Congratulations!  That is special.  Lots of us have chickens, so you're in good company here @Mrsweisass!

Thanks for the tree help @Rosy!  I will do that.  And can't wait to see pictures of the papaya tree -- so cool!

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #663 on: August 30, 2020, 05:42:51 AM »
AVOCADOS - harvest time!
BANANAS - one dwarf and one full size
MORINGA TREE
TROPICAL BLACKBERRY JAM BUSHES
AFRICAN BLUE BASIL - Bees love it and it smells heavenly!
TAPIOCA PLANT - CASSAVA - YUCA (Manihot)
Coffee and Nuts were on my list but didn't happen this year, but they will top my very short wishlist of new things to try this fall and next spring.

wow. this is amazing. you have a veritable food forest!
what recipes do you use with moringa? isn't it really difficult to process coffee fruits/beans?

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #664 on: August 31, 2020, 02:25:23 PM »
Papaya tree - planted in April
The three bottom ones look ready for harvest.

Look at all those blooms turning into papayas:)

[img][/img]
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 02:28:10 PM by Rosy »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #665 on: August 31, 2020, 02:49:34 PM »
Wow - those look stunning

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #666 on: September 01, 2020, 11:19:15 AM »
I've got horsetail popping up in my garden, so the battle starts. I'm going to be doing a massive remediation effort this fall to create more healthy soil which horsetail doesnt like.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #667 on: September 02, 2020, 11:40:22 AM »
It's fun reading about everyone's experiments and successes! Those are beautiful papayas forming, and congrats on the chicken success @Mrsweisass!

Several things ripening here. Miracle fruit (turns sour food sweet):

Banana progress the past three weeks, from flower to fruit formation:

@Reader I use morninga leaves fresh in smoothies. Apparently every part of the plant can be used for something, lots to experiment with!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #668 on: September 02, 2020, 01:28:51 PM »
Wow, @Roots&Wings - your bananas look fantastic. I'm green with envy:).
Do bananas fruit in the first year? What, how, and how often do you feed yours?
Your pics made me feel even more excited about our first crop.

@Mrsweisass - congrats on your first eggs!
I would love to have some chickens or other critters in the yard, but it is more daily work than I want to do.
Gardening is all I can handle.

@Reader - the fresh flowers from the Moringa make a lovely tea. You can sprinkle dried leaves ontop of your food or into your smoothie.
Fresh leaves can be part of a salad. I like that - salad on a tree:).

The long seed thingies look like green beans on steroids and you can fix them like green beans as long as they are green (you have to scoop out parts) when you let them dry on the tree you can then use the brown seeds to roast - supposed to taste like peanuts.
You can dry the seeds or plant a new tree.

In our climate it seems to bloom all year around. I really like the scent of the flowers so I want to try to make flower water - like Rosewater only this will be from Moringa.

I bought a small book which includes many Indian and African recipes for stew and sauces ... I bought it because I wanted info about how to grow and harvest Moringa which was well presented, but it also has a fair amount of general info, incl a couple of medicinal recipes and recipes for other products.
The author is a grower and involved with non-profits around the world - so the book is slanted that way.

Moringa by Sanford Holst - published 2011 - I would recommend as an introduction because it covered all the bases. It is a simple book, but I found it very helpful and practical. 

Thanks for asking because it made me read up again on what I need to do and I definitely need to cut it down to six feet for one thing. The book explained how to cut and shape the branches too.
Maybe I will try to make some Moringa powder - we'll see.

... most of all I can't wait to use it to filter water - more experiments. This is really an interesting tree.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #669 on: September 03, 2020, 06:30:20 AM »
That is fantastic moringa information @Rosy, I've learned so much here. Also read somewhere it can be used as plant fertilizer. And water filtration? Hope you keep us posted if you try this!

Do bananas fruit in the first year? What, how, and how often do you feed yours?
Your pics made me feel even more excited about our first crop.

The first crop is very exciting, this'll be crop 5 for me (and crop 6 flower is just starting!) and I still get excited :) Mine fruited after 1.5 years starting out as small 1' plants, this probably varies by variety and conditions, not an expert, but they seem to do really well here.

What I've heard is the best things to feed a banana are 1) another banana (peels, chopped leaves) 2) wood ash and 3) urea. I try to do at least one of those once a month or so, but don't always remember, and now have 15 patches of bananas (the pups multiply fast..."going bananas" is a real thing, this is year 3).

Need to cut off the flower next (this can be eaten too). Be prepared with something to prop them up, they'll topple over from the weight of the fruit (40+ lbs), I just use scrap 2x4 lumber.

One other plant/ experiment I'd like to try is growing yaupon holly (North America's only native caffeinated plant, related to yerba mate) for tea. The local yaupon tea I've had is really good, loaded with antioxidants. Heck, even fancy Harney & Sons is making yaupon tea. Always more to learn :)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #670 on: September 03, 2020, 10:48:44 AM »
@Roots&Wings thanks for the information on the bananas. My garden friend told me she ended up with 21 plants incl the pups but apparently she ended up with a disease effecting the fruit - so they haven't eaten any, although they produced well.
She uses lots of chemicals - I garden organic, so I wonder if I should even ask her for a pup. I thought it would be fun to have different varieties, but I don't want to bring disease into my garden.

Yes, Moringa does make a great fertilizer - which is good to know since I doubt I'll eat all the leaves on the tree:). We've gotten really good at making compost and right now we have lots of Avocados falling from the tree that the critters have munched on - so I think I'll feed the papaya and the bananas with that.

Here are three shots of our Moringa Tree to give you a better visual.

Bees love the Moringa - this one is a rather large one, not like the small slightly fuzzy ones that are like a buzzing cloud on the Basil bushes.
A ton of different insects like the Moringa - although it seemed like it took about three months before everyone discovered it.

See the fat, long seed pod? Not all of them get this fat, some seed pods are skinnier.
My book said that no matter how many flowers bloom on one branch only one of them will turn into a seed pod.
That means I can use the others for bouquets and to make flower water.

This is the top of the tree. I feel bad about cutting it in half,
but the book says if you trim it properly you can train it into a different shape - wider,
with more branches. Uncut it would reach 40ft.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #671 on: September 03, 2020, 11:03:40 AM »
That is gorgeous @Rosy, I had no idea moringa flowers were so pretty! This is a new plant for me this year.

Sounds like a good move to pass on your neighbors bananas, I don't use any chemicals either (if your neighbor is growing Raja puri, I believe they are known to have some disease issues, Dwarf Cavendish are the ones that have fruited for me). Hoping your banana does well!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 11:06:11 AM by Roots&Wings »

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #672 on: September 04, 2020, 07:10:49 AM »
Thanks @Rosy  and @Roots&Wings for the moringa tips! Have ordered the book, and would try to see if i can grow a container version of the tree. i live in an apartment, and a room with a particularly sunny window where i grow my basil and mint. will see if i can get a moringa cutting and go from there.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #673 on: September 04, 2020, 07:26:41 AM »
@Reader - it will grow just fine in a container, but you might not get any flowers, therefore no seed pods either.
Give it as much sun as you can - it loves the heat.
If you can get basil to grow in that window - the Moringa will grow for you too:).

DesertRatNomad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #674 on: September 07, 2020, 07:19:59 AM »
Down here in South Mississippi we’ve been experimenting with container gardening in the tiny back yard of our townhouse.  Mostly in 5 gallon buckets. One thing I have noticed is that lots of plants that say they need full sun still get crushed by ours anywhere close to the summer so I’ve started reading “full sun” as “full sun somewhere farther north”.  We’ve just been trying things to see what works well for us.  Sweet potatoes, peppers, and tomatoes have done the best so far although we’ve tried a bunch of other stuff with mixed results - started another round seeds (indoors) yesterday - cooler weather plants this time.  Also trying out a worm bin but it’s going slow sincethe population is small since I just add worms when I find them in the backyard.  All-in-all, it has been a rather expensive but fun way to have fresh jalapeños and tomatoes available with inconsistent timing.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #675 on: September 07, 2020, 11:26:22 AM »
My one tomato plant was looking very sad and yellow, and possibly diseased.  As a precaution, I picked all the green tomatoes and canned salsa verde (I know traditionally it should be tomatillos, but I have a recipe in my book that uses green tomatoes so why not?).  Now if the plant dies, I won't be losing any fruit.

I've been getting a slow but steady stream of strawberries - not enough to do anything with, but they're certainly delicious to eat one by one.  I've also made several pints of pesto from the basil plants.

My watermelon vines have given up.  I can't blame them, after being stepped on repeatedly by careless contractors.  They crushed all the baby fruits, and I think it's too hot for the plant to put out more flowers.  The cucumber plant is still drying in spite of some of the same treatment, I think we'll get at least 1-2 cucumbers off it.

I also seeded some more chard and beets for a fall crop of greens.  Hoping it's not to early and hot for good germination, but we'll see.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #676 on: September 07, 2020, 11:50:50 AM »
I am having very poor luck with fall crop seed germination.  We had some more rain last night, so hopefully something sprouts.  The late July beets and greens were a bust. 
But the kale I cut back to almost nothing is fully leafed out.  I am going to make some kale chips - after carefully inspecting each leaf for caterpillars. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #677 on: September 14, 2020, 09:14:37 AM »
RAIN - glorious rain - giving the garden a reprieve from the worst of the summer heat.
I am relieved, I think my Cassava-Tapioca Plant is going to make it just fine through it's first year in my new garden area.

It is a tropical plant that will be perennial in our zone 10.
Love the red stems of the branches and the bi-colored leaves.

Planted in Mar/Apr at two inches tall - it is now close to 3ft x 3ft tall and wide.
The cream and ivory really makes it pop in the landscape.
My cosmos, the yellow flowers in the background, are still going strong - between five and seven feet tall.
They keep reseeding themselves like crazy:).

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #678 on: September 14, 2020, 06:13:51 PM »
Frost warning tonight - covered what I could.  Brought in my house plants. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #679 on: September 14, 2020, 07:32:18 PM »
Frost warning tonight - covered what I could.  Brought in my house plants.

The forecast low at my community garden is 4.  I picked a bunch of stuff today.  If the rest frosts it frosts. A lot of the gardens have already had everything cleared out.

I have nothing super tender on the balcony, the date palms can take the odd frost.  plus I figure the concrete will radiate some heat, and the overhanging balcony will hold some heat.  The Norfolk Island Pine and the orchids never go outside.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #680 on: September 14, 2020, 10:29:16 PM »
Hi all! I'm an avid gardener but haven't posted in this thread because life has been too overwhelming. BUT, I had a Mustachian Tip to share for those who are currently getting tomatoes about making the most of your harvest.

If you, like me, can any tomatoes that requires you to remove the skins (whole peeled tomatoes, diced, etc.) don't throw away the skins! If you make sauce you can add them to the sauce, then put the whole thing through a food mill (if you have one) and then discard. Alternatively, you can dehydrate the skins and pulse them into a powder and add that to soups, stews, pastas that need more tomato flavor.

I wonder if you could take the solids out of the food mill, dehydrate that, and then use in the same way as the last part? Just to get the very most out of your harvest and not waste even the smallest part.

Anyway, happy harvesting!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #681 on: September 16, 2020, 08:20:31 AM »
We didn't have frost Monday night, the sweet potatoes in a plot near mine were fine.  They turn to black slime when frosted.  The garden is nearly finished, though.  Most tomatoes have been picked.  I'm not seeing any baby zucchinis and almost no flowers.  Two varieties of squash are all picked, delicata and sweet dumpling, the butternuts are next.  I'm leaving the last few pole beans to set seed.  The second planting of bush beans is up (pathetic germination) and if the weather warms up like the forecasts are predicting, I might get a bit of a crop.  The popcorn silks are all brown so they are pollinated, a month of decent weather should give me a crop.  If not, it was a gamble, the corn went in late.  They are interesting to look at, instead of one big ear like sweet or field corn, the plants have 2-4 really small ears. 

Now my main job is cleanup, get the weeds into the compost bin, get the plant remnants to the main garden collecting point. 

Next year I may go back to sweet potatoes instead of squash.  They are more compact.  The downside is more digging.  But I saw squash beetles and cucumber beetles this year, so that makes it iffier to have healthy squash.  This year my squash and zucchini were fine, but my cucumbers weren't.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #682 on: September 16, 2020, 11:39:46 AM »
I wonder if you could take the solids out of the food mill, dehydrate that, and then use in the same way as the last part? Just to get the very most out of your harvest and not waste even the smallest part.
I'd just blend the sauce and call it good, though tomato powder for soups does sound a bit handy to have.

My attitude toward preserving is do whatever is easiest to preserve the most first. If that means more scraps end up in the compost than the 100% best preserving plan would, that's fine - it's better than having larger portions of the harvest end up going to the compost because I had difficulty getting to preserving it.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #683 on: September 17, 2020, 10:43:09 PM »
I'd just blend the sauce and call it good, though tomato powder for soups does sound a bit handy to have.

My attitude toward preserving is do whatever is easiest to preserve the most first. If that means more scraps end up in the compost than the 100% best preserving plan would, that's fine - it's better than having larger portions of the harvest end up going to the compost because I had difficulty getting to preserving it.

Oh, definitely. Tomatoes are just such a high value thing in my house that getting the most out of them is generally worth my while. Other things I'll do whatever's easiest because that's going to be the most efficient use of my time.

This year I am trying to do more canning than freezing, however. The way we've been pandemic shopping, freezer space is at a premium. So far so good. I don't even feel like I've been slaving away unduly over the canner, more's the miracle.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #684 on: September 18, 2020, 08:25:40 AM »
We are four nights of frost predicted.  I am going to give up trying to protect the garden - except for the newly sprouted greens.  Damn it is over too soon.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #685 on: September 18, 2020, 01:51:42 PM »
We are four nights of frost predicted.  I am going to give up trying to protect the garden - except for the newly sprouted greens.  Damn it is over too soon.

We were forecast frost last night and tonight, I am also giving up.  Everything dead (except the corn, I hope) means easier garden cleanup.  Then plant the garlic around Halloween and I will be done for the year.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #686 on: September 25, 2020, 04:27:03 AM »
Overdue for an update here.  Fall garden is going really well here in Zone 7a.  It's my first time doing a serious fall garden, rather than just one or two things.  It's fun -- like a whole second growing season -- and a great learning process.  Very grateful for my retired status to have the time, and my growing region for the mild weather.  We're probably 3-4 weeks out from the first frost.   

Lettuce -- Going nuts!  It looks great, and nothing is eating it but us.  How can that be?  I've got four different varieties going.  So tender and beautiful.

Cucumbers -- Just finished.  The 41 degrees we had the other night did them in.  They did great this year.   

Carrots -- Doing well.  I think I missed the timing on them somehow.  Not sure they're growing fast enough to finish before hard frost, but they look good. 

Spinach -- Looks good too.  I tried a new variety (Winter Giant) and it's a winner.  The germination wasn't super strong, but the plants are champs.  Huge and can withstand cut-and-come-again.  I'll definitely plant again.

Cabbage -- I first planted out plants at the beginning of August, and that was too early.  The cabbage moths mowed them down and the crop was a loss.  I replanted September 1 with some plants I bought and that seems to be about the right timing.  Plants are doing much better now that we've had a few cool nights.  Seems to have knocked back the cabbage moths.

Broccoli -- Plants look good, but they're not growing very fast.  Not sure they'll have enough time to bloom before hard frost.  I think maybe I messed up the timing on those. 

Turnips -- Look fabulous.  You can't get a turnip down.  :)

Kale -- Doing great.  Grows like a weed. 

Sugar Snap Peas -- Are going bonkers!  Star of the fall garden so far.  They are 7 feet tall and look super happy.  Looks like I hit the timing exactly right with them.  They're covered with flowers and we should have a good crop.  This is my first time ever doing fall peas, and it's going great!

In about a month I'll probably start to clean up, fertilize, plant garlic, and get ready for winter. 

What a great season!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #687 on: September 25, 2020, 06:26:04 AM »
crikey - @Trifele - am I ever jealous.  My fall peas look anemic.  None of the many sowings of green germinated.  I am going to sow some more seed in the greenhouse and hope for the best.  We are getting 26C today.  And have had zero rain for two weeks.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #688 on: September 25, 2020, 06:45:22 AM »
All of our tomatoes are picked. I have a large sheet pan full of ripe tomatoes and not sure what to do with them. I don't can and have no more freezer space. Any suggestions? I know the usual spaghetti sauce which I have made and I make a mean roasted tomato sauce with garlic sauce. Anyone make tomato soup? Some kind of tomato casserole?

I also have a big box of green tomatoes that I am hoping will very slowly ripen so I can have them for at least a month or even better two months! Th box has a lid that I close 3/4 of the way. I have not done this before, so no idea how slowly they will ripen.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #689 on: September 25, 2020, 06:59:23 AM »
Forgot to add -- I've been harvesting tons of herbs this year for the first time.  I've been drying peppermint, spearmint, lemon balm, anise hyssop, and lavender for tea, and thyme and oregano for cooking.  I've dried them by laying them out on the counter on newspaper and covering with a thin layer of paper towel to keep the dust off.  It's kind of a slow process because I'm limited by the counter space.

I've been thinking of possible other ways to do it.  I have some window screens that I use in the garden for shade.  I could spread the herbs on those and lay them out in the garden shed.  That should work if the weather is fairly dry, but I'd have to figure out how to keep them clean.  Maybe a bed sheet . . .

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #690 on: September 25, 2020, 07:05:45 AM »
Dehydrator.  I had a great time with mine, it's still out because I  want to try apple slices coated in cinnamon. 

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #691 on: September 25, 2020, 07:16:51 AM »
I too have been dehydrating herbs.  Way superior to the dusty/sometimes moldy/bleached ones I got the old fashioned way.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #692 on: September 25, 2020, 10:57:59 AM »
Ok!  Two votes for a dehydrator.  I’m off to search Craigslist. :)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #693 on: September 25, 2020, 11:12:55 AM »
Forgot to add -- I've been harvesting tons of herbs this year for the first time.  I've been drying peppermint, spearmint, lemon balm, anise hyssop, and lavender for tea, and thyme and oregano for cooking.  I've dried them by laying them out on the counter on newspaper and covering with a thin layer of paper towel to keep the dust off.  It's kind of a slow process because I'm limited by the counter space.

I've been thinking of possible other ways to do it.  I have some window screens that I use in the garden for shade.  I could spread the herbs on those and lay them out in the garden shed.  That should work if the weather is fairly dry, but I'd have to figure out how to keep them clean.  Maybe a bed sheet . . .

I just tie them in (small) bundles and hang them from my curtain rods and also from a couple of those narrow photo display shelves in the dining room and kitchen.
I like how that looks and it works well.
Regardless, this time a year, half my kitchen counter always holds trays layered with paper towels stacked on top of each other crosswise for drying something (lemon balm at the moment) including pods full of seeds I harvested.
Maybe I should finally try out the dehydrator I picked up at Aldi three years ago:). Pitiful - I know...

I found the shed too dusty, not enough air circulation.

@Trifele - your garden sounds so bountiful!

I've been weeding for a week, clearing space and evaluating how year one faired in my newest garden area. As long as I start between seven and seven thirty I can work until ten, before it becomes too humid - unfortunately the heat is back after a couple of days of reprieve.

Today I had some serious help from Mr. R. so I think in two or three more days I can declare that part of the garden ready for fall gardening.
Well, as soon as I composted and mulched and said good-bye to the dwarf apples - I hate to give up on them, but I concede defeat after six years.

Trouble in paradise - whitefly
It spread from the Canna Lilies to the dwarf banana - damn - damn.
So I cut as much as possible from the banana and cut down 90% of the Canna Lilies, then hosed off each remaining leaf meticulously.

I'm holding off on using soap and water on the leaves since it is still way too hot, I'm afraid it will kill off my banana.
So I've resigned myself to whitefly vigilante duties for a while.
The big banana lives in the back and so far has not been attacked - thank goodness for that.

If anyone has any experience with fighting off whitefly please tell me what else I can do.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #694 on: September 25, 2020, 02:51:59 PM »
@Rosy — we have banana trees, but I’ve never heard of whitefly, so I don’t think we have those here.  It sounds nasty — sorry you are having to go through that. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #695 on: September 25, 2020, 05:31:52 PM »
All of our tomatoes are picked. I have a large sheet pan full of ripe tomatoes and not sure what to do with them. I don't can and have no more freezer space. Any suggestions? I know the usual spaghetti sauce which I have made and I make a mean roasted tomato sauce with garlic sauce. Anyone make tomato soup? Some kind of tomato casserole?

I also have a big box of green tomatoes that I am hoping will very slowly ripen so I can have them for at least a month or even better two months! Th box has a lid that I close 3/4 of the way. I have not done this before, so no idea how slowly they will ripen.

Well, the one year that we had a bumper crop of tomatoes:

Sauces
1. I made five different sauces, the Vodka sauce and the Florentine sauce with spinach were a huge hit, my favorite was a very fine, simmered for five hours Bolognese Sauce. Delish.

Soups
2. I don't remember which recipe I used for the tomato soup it called for whipping cream and Vodka.
Something like this Rachel Ray Creamy Tomato-Vodka Soup
https://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/creamy-tomato-vodka-soup

I also tried a Tomato Puree Soup with lots of carrots which was excellent - strangely enough you couldn't taste the carrots at all. It was way more work than a soup should be:).

Don't forget about Minestrone - best with a quarter cup of wine:) - you can hide plenty of tomatoes in there along with your garden produce and white beans.

OR one of my favs - Tomato Barley Vegetable soup (you only need half a cup of barley and of course half a cup of red wine:) (Zucchini, Cauliflower, Onions)
I like Thyme and Chili Flakes in mine along with Celery seeds - but some recipes call for fennel seeds and cumin seeds if you prefer that.

3. Stuffed Tomatoes
Mozzarella and basil stuffed tomatoes
... or fill with sausage and rice ... plenty of recipes on google
pair with rice/beans and cucumber salad.

4. Tomato Frittata
The tomato frittata was so fun and colorful - it is essentially a big skillet omelet, the secret is that you add milk/cream to the eggs and sautee on medium then change to low heat and add a heavy well fitting lid.
Big tomato slices arranged in an eye-pleasing pattern as if it were a cake. Add anything you like, green onions, Italian seasoning or Herbs de Provence, even kernels of corn for color and sweetness and of course your favorite Italian cheese or Feta or goat cheese - your options are endless.
Serve with home made bread or on a bed of rice.

5. Instead of a casserole - consider a quiche!
You could keep it pure with just tomato and onion maybe with Ricotta
or use spinach or whatever is growing in your garden.

My old, beloved Quiche cookbook suggests a filling of:
6 large tomatoes
100g Mascarpone Cheese or Cream Cheese
3 eggs
50g Gruyere Cheese flakes

Key is that you slice the tomatoes in half and roast at 200 degrees for 40 min first - on a grate atop a cookie sheet. Then cool off a little and remove the skin. Cut each half in four slices.
The remaining ingredients are slowly beaten into the eggs. Fill your quiche and place the tomato slices on top. Bake for 20 minutes.
They suggest adding herbs to your quiche crust like garlic chives and parsley.

*** Personally, I am very fond of smoked gouda or smoked white cheddar which when slightly melted with tomato slices on toast -
is simply divine, quick and easy too. Love that paired with a special salad.

6. Bake your own - tomato-basil bread or add cheese/eggs and make breakfast muffins.
Garden fresh croissant with cream cheese, garlic chives, basil and tomato, cucumbers.
Then there is always the classic Balsamic Brushetta.

Salad - Pesto - Salsa
Pico de Gallo-Salsa or Caprese Salad

Of course a spicy tomato juice drink or an awesome home made Bloody Mary for Sunday Brunch at home is a winner in my book too:).

Hope that gives you some ideas - sorry, didn't mean to write a book, but hey, I like to cook.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #696 on: September 25, 2020, 05:45:18 PM »
I spent three and a half hours out at the farm preparing the garlic bed.  I have 3 kilos of garlic to plant this year.  Given the sad state of the harvest - a lot of mushy buggy bulbs, I decided that I would be planting only at the farm and only with brand new seed garlic.  There have been no onions planted there ever so I should be great!
The soil is really compacted so I worked the fork in as deep as I could go for four double rows.  I have some lovely loose trenches ready for the cloves to go in on Sunday.  I will then mulch heavily with some old straw.
I found a stray acorn squash and dug two potato plants.  The potatoes are plentiful.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #697 on: September 25, 2020, 08:13:13 PM »
I spent three and a half hours out at the farm preparing the garlic bed.  I have 3 kilos of garlic to plant this year.  Given the sad state of the harvest - a lot of mushy buggy bulbs, I decided that I would be planting only at the farm and only with brand new seed garlic.  There have been no onions planted there ever so I should be great!
The soil is really compacted so I worked the fork in as deep as I could go for four double rows.  I have some lovely loose trenches ready for the cloves to go in on Sunday.  I will then mulch heavily with some old straw.
I found a stray acorn squash and dug two potato plants.  The potatoes are plentiful.

Can you plant garlic that early?  When I talked to a bunch of growers here (we had a garlic festival 2 years ago) they said mid-October at the earliest, Halloween is perfect.   It gives lots of time for root growth but prevents much top growth until spring.  And you are warmer than we are.

My raised beds should be nice and loose.  My garlic in the pot made tiny bulbs, so it is all getting planted, not eaten.

Yay potatoes!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #698 on: September 25, 2020, 10:22:16 PM »
My garden has just been kind of on its own lately, but somehow it's doing OK.  Needless to say I did not get fall crops in like I wanted, but it looks like we'll have collards, kale, chard, celery leaves and parsnips for the next couple months anyway.

Tomatoes continue to be lackluster.  I've canned one batch of tomato soup and cooked down some sauce that went in the freezer.  I'm hoping the weather holds long enough to get enough tomatoes to can.  My tried and true varieties are just less productive and smaller than usual, but at least they taste good.

OTOH, all the cucurbits have been cranking.  This was my first year growing Canada Crook(neck) squash, and I've got loads of it. We at the first one the other night, and it was delicious; sweet and cream roasted under a chicken.  I've already fermented 3 1/2 gallon jars of pickles, and most of the rest of the cukes are going straight in the compost, as did the 7# zucchinis I harvested the other day.

I'm hoping I can figure out what variety of broccoli I have, because it's been producing side sprouts all summer.  I only had two plants, but will put in more next year and we'll eat broccoli all summer.

The green beans were producing empty pods for a while, but now they're back to normal, and doing one last hurrah before they shut down.

Project for this fall is to dig up ALL the horseradish and try to get it contained in a smaller area.  Right now it's taking up about 6x16' of bed space, and no one needs that much horseradish.

One of my two apple trees produced well this year.  A few days ago I picked about a bushel of apples, and have a nice apple crisp baking as I type this.

And figs!  I got a handful of delicious ripe figs yesterday.  Hoping some more have a chance to ripen in the next couple weeks.

Clearly it's fall, because my okra are struggling to produce pods suddenly.  I'm hoping for enough to do one more batch of gumbo.  Sadly the pretty red variety I grew this year was not productive, but my other one (Eagle Pass, I think) produced pretty well.  I just need to put in more than 3 plants next year.

For this fall, the big projects will be replacing the roof on the greenhouse, and the afore-mentioned horseradish containment.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #699 on: September 26, 2020, 04:13:20 AM »

Well, the one year that we had a bumper crop of tomatoes:

Sauces
1. I made five different sauces, the Vodka sauce and the Florentine sauce with spinach were a huge hit, my favorite was a very fine, simmered for five hours Bolognese Sauce. Delish.

Soups
2. I don't remember which recipe I used for the tomato soup it called for whipping cream and Vodka.
Something like this Rachel Ray Creamy Tomato-Vodka Soup
https://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/creamy-tomato-vodka-soup

I also tried a Tomato Puree Soup with lots of carrots which was excellent - strangely enough you couldn't taste the carrots at all. It was way more work than a soup should be:).

Don't forget about Minestrone - best with a quarter cup of wine:) - you can hide plenty of tomatoes in there along with your garden produce and white beans.

OR one of my favs - Tomato Barley Vegetable soup (you only need half a cup of barley and of course half a cup of red wine:) (Zucchini, Cauliflower, Onions)
I like Thyme and Chili Flakes in mine along with Celery seeds - but some recipes call for fennel seeds and cumin seeds if you prefer that.

3. Stuffed Tomatoes
Mozzarella and basil stuffed tomatoes
... or fill with sausage and rice ... plenty of recipes on google
pair with rice/beans and cucumber salad.

4. Tomato Frittata
The tomato frittata was so fun and colorful - it is essentially a big skillet omelet, the secret is that you add milk/cream to the eggs and sautee on medium then change to low heat and add a heavy well fitting lid.
Big tomato slices arranged in an eye-pleasing pattern as if it were a cake. Add anything you like, green onions, Italian seasoning or Herbs de Provence, even kernels of corn for color and sweetness and of course your favorite Italian cheese or Feta or goat cheese - your options are endless.
Serve with home made bread or on a bed of rice.

5. Instead of a casserole - consider a quiche!
You could keep it pure with just tomato and onion maybe with Ricotta
or use spinach or whatever is growing in your garden.

My old, beloved Quiche cookbook suggests a filling of:
6 large tomatoes
100g Mascarpone Cheese or Cream Cheese
3 eggs
50g Gruyere Cheese flakes

Key is that you slice the tomatoes in half and roast at 200 degrees for 40 min first - on a grate atop a cookie sheet. Then cool off a little and remove the skin. Cut each half in four slices.
The remaining ingredients are slowly beaten into the eggs. Fill your quiche and place the tomato slices on top. Bake for 20 minutes.
They suggest adding herbs to your quiche crust like garlic chives and parsley.

*** Personally, I am very fond of smoked gouda or smoked white cheddar which when slightly melted with tomato slices on toast -
is simply divine, quick and easy too. Love that paired with a special salad.

6. Bake your own - tomato-basil bread or add cheese/eggs and make breakfast muffins.
Garden fresh croissant with cream cheese, garlic chives, basil and tomato, cucumbers.
Then there is always the classic Balsamic Brushetta.

Salad - Pesto - Salsa
Pico de Gallo-Salsa or Caprese Salad

Of course a spicy tomato juice drink or an awesome home made Bloody Mary for Sunday Brunch at home is a winner in my book too:).

Hope that gives you some ideas - sorry, didn't mean to write a book, but hey, I like to cook.

Wow, thanks! What a lot of ideas!