Author Topic: Personal Throw Down  (Read 4881 times)

RMD

• Stubble
Personal Throw Down
« on: October 02, 2014, 12:19:19 PM »
Face punches deserved.  DH and I have been eating at the cafeteria at work...daily.  We've also fallen back into the the soda habit.  A quick fix of fast food has also been happening on weekends as we run from one thing tot he next.

Sooooo....Hi, October!  The month of reckoning. 

We are doing no meals out and no sodas for the month.  Meals out includes lunches.  Day 2 and so far so good.  Anyone want to join?  If not, at least this is a form of accountability!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
Re: Personal Throw Down
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 12:32:04 PM »
Good for you!  You will probably save enough money to fully fund 2 IRAs over a year's time.  Talk about the Grasshopper and the Squirrel!

I find tea as a good substitute for soda.  I think I have mentioned on the forum before that I buy 100 bags for $1.00 at walmart.    Drink as much as you like at that rate!   It has the advantage of being high in fluoride and good for the teeth.  It is also a good antioxidant.   I find it doesn't make me shaky like coffee does.

I will be posting a "Dollar a Day" post on the forum in a few weeks detailing how to get your personal food budget down to a dollar a day without coupons.   I know, sounds impossible but it can be done using only grocery store purchases. 

Good luck to you my friends!

Professor Ecks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 02:43:17 PM »
Hey look, a MO-KAN thread so far.

I think I'll give it a try, but we will probably wait til Monday to start. Taking the neices to the RenFest this weekend, and they were promised turkey legs...

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 02:50:13 PM »
RenFest!  We haven't been in ages!  Such fun, though...hope it dries out for you.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 03:31:15 PM »
I'm with you on Ren fest!  I love that place.  Used to go often.  How long does that run this year?

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 04:27:33 PM »
I'm with you on Ren fest!  I love that place.  Used to go often.  How long does that run this year?

I think it traditionally goes through Columbus Day...I'd have to look it up to verify, though...

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 12:06:09 PM »
Day 3:  Still going!  Leftovers for lunch for me.  DH made a sandwich.  Ditching the soda has been pretty easy....although, I did find a can of Sprite in my overhead.  Trying to forget that it's there!

This weekend might be more of a challenge since we typically do a fast food meal while out running errands!  Planning ahead for that!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 12:41:54 PM »
Day 3:  Still going!  Leftovers for lunch for me.  DH made a sandwich.  Ditching the soda has been pretty easy....although, I did find a can of Sprite in my overhead.  Trying to forget that it's there!

This weekend might be more of a challenge since we typically do a fast food meal while out running errands!  Planning ahead for that!

Plan ahead,  pack a cooler with either cold or warm homemade.   I think you will find that having 3 or 4 small coolers sitting in your kitchen will help you remember.   

I always use freezer bags filled with water and put them in the freezer.  That way there is always ice on hand.

I use used plastic bottles and pour my cooled tea into them.  Keep the fridge stocked with them.  The cost of the beverage is less than 1 penny since I get 3 or 4 servings per 1 penny tea bag.  I always have cold tea ready to pack and go. 

How I make tea -- put a tea bag in my coffee maker.  Add about 4 or 5 cups of water.  Turn on.  The next round I throw another bag on top the old one and so on.  After about 5 or 6 bags I start over.   I find that 20 or so bags per month makes plenty of tea. 

The brand of tea is "All Natural Tea,"  available at walmart (bottom shelf)  for $1 for 100 bags.   I still can't believe it is that cheap!  The box had to cost 50 cents!

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 09:37:22 AM »
We made it through the weekend and another work week!  Still going strong.  Made chili earlier this week and with all the rain it's been great to bring for lunch!

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 05:34:34 PM »
I will be posting a "Dollar a Day" post on the forum in a few weeks detailing how to get your personal food budget down to a dollar a day without coupons.   I know, sounds impossible but it can be done using only grocery store purchases. 
Yes, please share your insights with us - thanks!

fireferrets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 12:47:49 PM »
Good luck with your no-eating-out, no-soda challenge!

I did this last month (except for the soda bit, I don't drink soda) and I can tell you it's 100% do-able. Would join in, but I am traveling to Montréal this month and we want to do some café action.

A couple of tips: when you cook, make double-batches: the tomorrow-yous will thank you for thinking of them.
Also, make a monster-size salad: wash and chop lettuce, add in any ingredients you like (tomatoes, olives, red onion, carrot, cranberry-raisins ..) and mix it in a big bowl. If you plastic wrap that sukka (air tight!), should last you a while. I found that this is the best way to get me to eat green things. (^_^);

ThriftyD

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 11:07:55 AM »
Awesome challenge, RMD!

I am currently doing the same challenge with Mrs. Frugalwoods (from the Frugalwoods blog http://www.frugalwoods.com/) and Autumn (from the barefoot budgeter http://thebarefootbudgeter.com/).  October is a no restaurant/eating out month.  At the end, we're going to disclose if we gave in and how much we spent if we did. 

I'm good at being a 'serial eater.' i.e., I make one big batch of something on a Sunday and it lasts me most of the week.  Last week was chili week for me too! This week is ham and cheese sandwiches for me at lunch and chicken breasts and salad for dinner.  I never have to think about what I'm going to eat during the week so I'm never tempted to "run out" at lunch at work or "pick something up" on my way home. 

In doing this challenge, I'm learning that restaurants really don't appeal to me much anymore.  I have no desire to eat out at a restaurant unless it's a special occasion that will create lasting memories.

Keep it up RMD.  Lots of support from your Mustachian friends!

ThriftyD