Author Topic: Paying for Xmas (or simply X) 2014 by Selling What You Don't Need  (Read 3917 times)

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
Based on my projection, Xmas 2014 could cost me about $600.  I am fine with that number although it's higher than the last couple of years have been.  I would like to offset the cost by selling stuff we don't need.

I also know people who have managed to finance their entire holiday through reward points too if you are fortunate enough to not have anything around that needs selling.

So I have sold a book for $20 on kijiji.  So, the Xmas kitty for me is $20 so far. 

Anyone else in?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: Paying for Xmas (or simply X) 2014 by Selling What You Don't Need
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 06:45:40 PM »
I'm in for Christmas. I have about twenty DVDs and thirty books already set aside to sell. I should well and truly be able to make $300ish to cover Christmas 2014.

Plus, I have plenty of time to get it done.

Great idea.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 07:02:50 PM »
This year a majority of my xmas gifts were regifts (nice things we received as wedding presents but which we didn't really want, vases and candle holders etc). Not sure I have enough extra stuff left to do this gauntlet, but I'll take a look, it would be great if I could.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 08:39:07 AM »
I may not have enough stuff to make the $600, but I figure I'll give it a try. 

Mostly the stuff I'm selling was gifts from others that I'm not crazy about.  Also, I have a lot of books I purchased when I wanted an impressive home library (since I'm an English teacher), but seem silly to own now. 

I've got one piece of gold that I wanted to sell that I haven't sold yet.  Need to find out the best place in town to take it to.

It will be really great to be at the point where there is no extraneous stuff to sell.  :)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 11:03:24 AM »
I have pulled aside 90% of my CDs and will be shipping them off for about $225 in return.  I am also going to sell 3 textbooks for about $250.  If I celebrated Christmas, this would be a nice Christmas fund.  However, this $$ is going straight to the mortgage.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 09:59:13 AM »
I have pulled aside 90% of my CDs and will be shipping them off for about $225 in return.  I am also going to sell 3 textbooks for about $250.  If I celebrated Christmas, this would be a nice Christmas fund.  However, this $$ is going straight to the mortgage.
I'm one of those non-Christian Christmas celebrators.  :)  Just curious to know where you've sold your cds to, if you don't mind sharing.

Selling Frugal Living for Dummies and Miserly Moms today.  I bought them for a big discount back when there weren't so many frugality blogs about.  I think I'll earn back what I paid for them which is nice. 

I am determined to list 5 more things to sell this weekend. 

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 10:02:47 AM »
Cool idea!

Check out thredup to sell clothing you don't want/need.  Kids clothing too.  Here's my link - $10 promo for each of us.

http://www.thredup.com/r/5J4JXT

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 10:10:26 AM »

Just curious to know where you've sold your cds to, if you don't mind sharing.

Sure.  I used a combination of Zumu and Abundatrade.  For the most part, Abundatrade pays more than Zumu.

You have to type bar codes into their websites to see what they will pay.  (Or I think for both companies, you can just box things up, ship them off, and let the company figure it all out.)

Weird, but for some CDs, the barcodes were only 11 digits instead of 12.  Typing such a number into Abundatrade yielded an error message.  But when I typed it into Zumu, Zumu added on the 12th digit and gave me a price.  Then I went back to the Abundatrade site and entered the full 12 digit code to see what they would pay.  So Zumu was helpful by giving me the 12th digit many times!

Now, both companies reserve the right to change their estimated values of the CDs once they inspect them.  But, I'm really just happy to have them out of my house at this point, and will be happy with even half of the $$ they estimated.  Oh, and I have read that checks from Zumu can be really slow to arrive.  We'll see.

Good luck!

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 10:11:20 AM »
Cool idea!

Check out thredup to sell clothing you don't want/need.  Kids clothing too.  Here's my link - $10 promo for each of us.

http://www.thredup.com/r/5J4JXT

Cool.  But it looks like it is only for the US for now which unfortunately won't work for me.  I'll keep checking back though.  Thanks!

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 10:12:35 AM »

Just curious to know where you've sold your cds to, if you don't mind sharing.

Sure.  I used a combination of Zumu and Abundatrade.  For the most part, Abundatrade pays more than Zumu.

You have to type bar codes into their websites to see what they will pay.  (Or I think for both companies, you can just box things up, ship them off, and let the company figure it all out.)

Weird, but for some CDs, the barcodes were only 11 digits instead of 12.  Typing such a number into Abundatrade yielded an error message.  But when I typed it into Zumu, Zumu added on the 12th digit and gave me a price.  Then I went back to the Abundatrade site and entered the full 12 digit code to see what they would pay.  So Zumu was helpful by giving me the 12th digit many times!

Now, both companies reserve the right to change their estimated values of the CDs once they inspect them.  But, I'm really just happy to have them out of my house at this point, and will be happy with even half of the $$ they estimated.  Oh, and I have read that checks from Zumu can be really slow to arrive.  We'll see.

Good luck!

Thanks.  I love your crafty way to get the higher price.  ;)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!