Author Topic: Only necessary clothes shopping 2018  (Read 30161 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: Only necessary clothes shopping 2018
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2018, 11:53:45 AM »
I did go shopping (typically 2x/year) & picked up a few things on my list: a new pair of black pants (retired my old pair), a new black tshirt (retired old one), two work jackets, and a new pair of comfortable work shoes. I retired another 4 items from my closet just to make sure I'm still net under.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2018, 06:50:20 AM »
A few more work shirts have holes. More shopping

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2018, 07:51:43 AM »
My toddler got his first real underwear!!!! Also some shirts and socks for summer, all from the clearance rack at Walmart. I think his shorts from last year will still fit, so I will wait and see before I buy anything. He will most likely need a new winter wardrobe for next year though. Yesterday I sorted through my closet and got out the next size up for baby, so far I haven't had to buy anything for him.

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2018, 02:15:46 PM »
Time for my end of March check-in.  I didn't do so well this month.  I finally got my shoes I needed for the wedding, but in doing so, also picked up another pair.  And a few sweaters.  I won't make excuses.  I'll just try to do better going forward.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2018, 03:26:06 PM »
Moving over from the No New Clothes challenge - two new bikinis that actually fit well and don't leave me in danger of indecent exposure means I can get rid of the 4 that I have been just making do with for the last 5 years [when I was 10kg lighter :/]

Time to focus again because I prefer it when I don't have the shopping energy in my life.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2018, 12:11:41 PM »
I am planning to buy a new pair of cross country skiing gloves. My current ones have a whole in the finger and several fingers almost through. I hope to find a pair on sale at the end of the season.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2018, 05:22:10 AM »
Continuing to do well with this challenge, though it's occasionally hard.

Yesterday, I needed to buy a rain jacket for an upcoming trip.  I went to Kohls and they had lots of tempting clothes, but I stayed strong and just bought the jacket I needed.  I also talked myself out of buying another pair of jeans so that I'd have 3 pairs to take with me on my trip.  That would have been silly - I'll be able to do laundry there, so 2 pairs of jeans will be just fine.

Tally so far this year:

2 sports bras
3ish pairs of underwear
tennis shoes
rain jacket

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2018, 04:59:24 PM »
I wish I had seen this when I first joined!  This is probably my one (or one of two) goal areas to be strict on.  Knowing I'll RE next year means I'll definitely not buy anymore work clothes.  I probably will need some socks at some point this year. 

Otherwise, I just had to buy new trainers - my podiatrist scolded me for the condition of my last ones and they had this cool service where they picked three from Zappos, I ordered them all and had them delivered to their office, they picked the ones that fit me best and sent the other two back for me.  I'm super excited to have a model of shoe that a podiatrist picked out for me as perfect for my feet and my gait.  I'm considering ordering a couple more right now just to have for the long term (the last pair lasted me about 1.75 years) but not sure if that's super Mustachian or super not.

I also really needed to replace a couple of bras.  I caved and bought some of those expensive ThirdLove bras I've been seeing advertised everywhere for their "amazing" fit and 30 day guarantee.  They fit...like a little(?) better than any others I've ever had that were half the price?  I honestly don't know what to do.  I'm only a couple weeks in to the 30 day trial, so I could return them, but I already threw away my two old bras and that means I'd have to actually go shopping and do the hard work of finding other ones that fit almost as well.  I HATE bra shopping.  So I might keep them, even though I could save some money, because it saves me time and they fit marginally better.  I hate that I got sucked in, though, and I'm sure this is what they count on - people finding it more work than it's worth to do the returns.  Sigh.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2018, 10:11:27 PM »
I bought two pairs of shoes yesterday. I needed one. Bad Elle! No!

But I also remember another pair is falling apart...so maybe I do need two? I think this is me trying to convince myself....but if these two hold up, I've found a shop with reasonably priced shoes!

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2018, 08:37:44 AM »
Picked up a t-shirt yesterday in the store, carried it around for a bit then put it back. Left only with the two household items I actually needed. I felt like a million bucks. 4 months in and zero clothing!

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2018, 10:47:00 AM »
OK, the wedding and vacation which prompted some clothes/shoes buying in March and April are behind me.  I am recommitting to no clothes/shoes buying for the rest of the year.  I really think I can do it now!

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2018, 06:13:56 PM »
I have to confess to purchasing a couple of not strictly necessary items: two tops and a dress. Two of the three were purchased used though, so that's at least a step in the right direction. I also bought two bras and some underwear, which were desperately needed.

I've managed to avoid unnecessary kids clothing purchases, with some difficulty. Darn Target, with their cute summer kids clothes! I really just need to avoid that whole section of the store.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2018, 02:21:36 AM »
Why would one buy unnecessary clothes?

Lots of people, and especially women, buy clothes because they see them in a window display and they look nice. While there whole clothes closets hangs full of clothes. I sometimes throw away a lot of clothes, like several garbage bags. And 5 years later, I can do it over again. Then in the meantime I must have bought clothes that I didn't need.

Also a lot of people, especially women, feel the need to buy something new when they are going to a party. The dresses they have in their closet are suddenly not so attractive anymore. Many people want a new winter coat after a few seasons, while the old one is still wearable. They are just bored with it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2018, 02:24:07 AM »
I still need a pair of new cross country skiing gloves, because my favorite pair has holes in the fingertips. But the sports shops have sold practically everything they were selling and have changed to selling summer stuff.
DH visited a sports outlet. And he found some gloves at a bargain price. Available in his own size and in children's size. But of course not in my size. He bought a pair for himself that he doesn't need currently, but for future use.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2018, 10:25:52 AM »
Well, I have fallen off of the challenge unless you REALLY stretch the "necessary" part of it. To be fair, I'm down a size and most of my clothes are rather baggy. I bought some new swimsuits, several tops for summer, and one new pair of hiking pants to replace the ones that I can pull down without unbuttoning/unzipping. If I was really being true to the "necessary" part I would have bought half as many tops and swimsuits (I consider the hiking pants necessary as I'm training for Mt. Whitney in June and the others are way too big now). So, I'm keeping it honest, and acknowledging that I exceeded the level of necessary with my recent expenditures. At least it is for losing weight and not gaining weight for a rare change!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2018, 01:11:59 AM »
I hope it doesn't count that DH is at sick leave and is spending his time sewing a pair of trousers for me. It was his idea and he needs something to do.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2018, 11:00:43 AM »
Today I bought a replacement pair of cross country skiing gloves. Cheap to start with and with a 50% discount for end of season.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »
Hello everyone--I am coming over from the 'absolutely no-exceptions, no clothes shopping' group :)

I've been doing daily cold-water swims/dips since the start of April and recently misplaced my swim bottoms somewhere between the dock and home.

I thought they might show up, but after a week of swimming in my underwear my SO gently encouraged me to go buy something. ha.
I made a point of searching out a local company that designs and sews their own swimwear. It was a pricier but will last and I feel good about the purchase.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2018, 11:52:32 AM »
Welcome another convert!  I honestly wonder about "no clothes no exceptions".  I am buying no work clothes, since I will be RE next year.  But stuff still comes up.  I had to replace two bras (which is rare), a pair of running shoes (less rare) and will need socks soon.  I bought a few pair of undies last year so prob won't need to this year, but I feel like the only way I could do a year of no clothes-buying at all would be if I stocked up and did a lot of replacement (at least) buying by December 31 of the prior year.  And then that's really just cost shifting.  I guess either way it's good to be very mindful of your clothing purchases and to endeavor to take good care of your clothing and be happy wearing it till it wears out (instead of just going out of fashion) so that you get the most out of your purchases possible.  I'm sure both of these threads encourage that behavior.

QuillScroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2018, 12:06:18 PM »
Hi All,

I'm going to join this challenge. So far in 2018, I have not shopped for a single piece of cloth. But I don't think I can maintain that for the whole year. So 'only necessary clothing' concept sits with me fine.

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2018, 03:58:51 AM »
So far this year. - One pack of white men's undershirts for $19 from Costco, replacing about 12 Costco t-shirts that had holes greater than 1" in diameter. (I can't mend these, my sewing only makes the hole bigger).

Expected to need to buy this year. -  One pair of jeans from LL Bean to replace the pair I bought last year and wear six days a week. Expected cost $30. Expected lifespan 300 wearings.

One spool of periwinkle blue thread to mend a hole in a light (summer weight) wool sweater. Expected cost $1.69. Expected lifespan of spool of thread, more than my own lifespan.

One professionally replaced zipper on my winter down jacket (with the zipper broken the coat is only warm down to about 25 F [-4 C]. I don't have the skill or tools to do so myself and gaining them is likely to cost more than paying to have it done will cost. Expected cost of repair $18. Expected future lifespan of jacket once repaired, another four years (already age 8). Expected replacement cost of jacket $180-200 new, maybe $50 used on the very off chance I could find one in my size. This is Alaska so I, of course, have several other lighter jackets but this is the one I wear on cold days (maybe 150 days/year?)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 09:44:31 PM by Anon in Alaska »

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2018, 04:50:46 AM »
Well, these definitely need replacing... otherwise, I'm all in! I'm not even going to replace worn out socks and underwear. I have plenty, even after a round of decluttering!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2018, 01:53:45 AM »
DH has sewn me a pair of trousers.  I hope that doesn't count, as I didn't shop them. And it is for DH's hobby. Although, he had to adjust the size to my body so many times that I don't think he enjoyed the last house so much...

I still haven't bought any clothes than that 1 pair of gloves in 2018. Haven't bought shoes either.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 07:10:32 AM by Linda_Norway »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2018, 07:24:41 AM »
Oh, this is a good idea! Joining. I already replaced my worn-out sandals, so the only things I might need in the next few months are a couple of new bras and maybe some new underwear. Maybe a new black top for concert black dress (ideally thrifted).

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2018, 10:45:19 PM »
If I join something like this I'm almost guaranteed to have to replace most of my clothes. So of course this year I've had to replace jeans after literally all of my jeans ripped.  Tried patching them and made do with that, but after the patches started coming off I went ahead and replaced a couple.  Have to have something to wear to work. Also replaced a bra, 1 pair of shoes and a couple shirts. I do wear clothes until they fall apart. But I feel like I'm failing at this commitment because my volume of clothes shopped this year feels high.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2018, 09:18:34 AM »
If I join something like this I'm almost guaranteed to have to replace most of my clothes. So of course this year I've had to replace jeans after literally all of my jeans ripped.  Tried patching them and made do with that, but after the patches started coming off I went ahead and replaced a couple.  Have to have something to wear to work. Also replaced a bra, 1 pair of shoes and a couple shirts. I do wear clothes until they fall apart. But I feel like I'm failing at this commitment because my volume of clothes shopped this year feels high.
As a fellow wear-until-it disintegrates person, I find it goes in cycles that way - which is why I could never join a NO clothes shopping challenge. I'd be guaranteed to have every single shirt fall to pieces in days.

My raincoat disintegrated in England. I'm getting by with another coat and a purchased umbrella. .. but now a new raincoat is a clear need not want.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2018, 05:12:20 PM »
Well, I have been very committed to my turning 40/getting fit quest, and have continued to lose weight. It isn't a lot on the scale, but I'm down a full size and I've been getting a lot of comments recently so I guess it's becoming noticeable. I would say that my spending has been borderline excessive. I have bought quite a bit of clothing lately because, although I have a LOT of clothing two sizes down from what I've been wearing, I have very, very little down one size and my current clothes have gotten a tad too baggy. As of today I am re-committing for the rest of the year. I have only been buying things to fill specific gaps in my wardrobe, and only things that I LOVE, but I have bought enough. I need to get back on the wagon, starting right now!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2018, 07:05:21 AM »
I bought a summer dress and some semi dressy but comfortable sandals to wear to my brother's wedding (one full size bigger than my pre-pregnancy shoes). Used a gift card for TJ Max that I had been holding onto for some time.  Also bought a new outfit for DS to wear.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2018, 07:40:30 PM »
Ok, I have to come clean...I fell off this wagon big time.  :/  I have absolutely no *good* reason for it. The bad reason was that I went through one of the most stressful, burned out months of my life (last month writing my dissertation on my much-tortured doctoral project). I think it started while I was running some (a lot) of codes that made graphs for me, making small edits/adjustments, and each time it took 3-5 min to complete. Too long to stare at a wall, too short to do anything useful. I ended up browsing ThredUp (danger, Will Robinson!). Long story short it became a bit of an addiction for about 2 weeks while I was at my worst, willpower shot. I knew exactly what I was doing but was in a general state of f***it.

The "Gazingus Pins" thread actually had some interesting discussion for analyzing my behavior in retrospect: someone mentioned their shopping habit was an expression of their hobby when they didn't have time to actually DO the hobby; I think for me getting clothes was a stand-in for my usual self-care activities (cooking, exercise, tidying, gardening, etc). Plus the usual endorphin rush of "getting new stuff" was unfortunately very helpful in otherwise depressing times. Also with the shipping delay of online shopping there was an effect of giving me something to look forward to (like something positive rather than just "it's over") in the correct time frame.

Fortunately, because it was online shopping, half of it went back due to atrocious fit. And after my deadline my addiction has fallen away. I kept browsing for a while but the desire to buy vanished and eventually it got boring. Still, I ended up out a few hundred on a lot of items...2 pairs of jeans (to replace 4 that I'm tired of mending!), new swimsuit, several pairs of shorts/capris, 3 button downs (in petite sizes, that FIT), 3 sweaters, some casual jewelry, etc. almost all of it secondhand. And yes, as I realized it was totally unnecessary I could have returned all of it, but also couldn't bring myself to right after, and now it's too late. It'll get worn, and used, and motivate me to get rid of the stuff I actually *won't* or shouldn't wear anymore...

Now that I'm in calmer waters (I successfully defended at the beginning of the month! Yay!) I'm planning to go through my closet for the nicer brand-name things (e.g. Ann Taylor) and try to sell them...any suggestions on best venues? Hoping it can offset my spree a bit. ThredUp pays a pittance, so I'm not giving them anything I think I can move myself.

Nonetheless, I totally failed the challenge, judge me if you want. I am, however, recommitting for the rest of the year starting now! Nothing else unless I *need* it. If I can finish my doctorate in spite of it all, I can not buy clothes for 7 months! :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2018, 12:28:57 AM »
Ok, I have to come clean...I fell off this wagon big time.  :/  I have absolutely no *good* reason for it. The bad reason was that I went through one of the most stressful, burned out months of my life (last month writing my dissertation on my much-tortured doctoral project). I think it started while I was running some (a lot) of codes that made graphs for me, making small edits/adjustments, and each time it took 3-5 min to complete. Too long to stare at a wall, too short to do anything useful. I ended up browsing ThredUp (danger, Will Robinson!). Long story short it became a bit of an addiction for about 2 weeks while I was at my worst, willpower shot. I knew exactly what I was doing but was in a general state of f***it.

The "Gazingus Pins" thread actually had some interesting discussion for analyzing my behavior in retrospect: someone mentioned their shopping habit was an expression of their hobby when they didn't have time to actually DO the hobby; I think for me getting clothes was a stand-in for my usual self-care activities (cooking, exercise, tidying, gardening, etc). Plus the usual endorphin rush of "getting new stuff" was unfortunately very helpful in otherwise depressing times. Also with the shipping delay of online shopping there was an effect of giving me something to look forward to (like something positive rather than just "it's over") in the correct time frame.

Fortunately, because it was online shopping, half of it went back due to atrocious fit. And after my deadline my addiction has fallen away. I kept browsing for a while but the desire to buy vanished and eventually it got boring. Still, I ended up out a few hundred on a lot of items...2 pairs of jeans (to replace 4 that I'm tired of mending!), new swimsuit, several pairs of shorts/capris, 3 button downs (in petite sizes, that FIT), 3 sweaters, some casual jewelry, etc. almost all of it secondhand. And yes, as I realized it was totally unnecessary I could have returned all of it, but also couldn't bring myself to right after, and now it's too late. It'll get worn, and used, and motivate me to get rid of the stuff I actually *won't* or shouldn't wear anymore...

Now that I'm in calmer waters (I successfully defended at the beginning of the month! Yay!) I'm planning to go through my closet for the nicer brand-name things (e.g. Ann Taylor) and try to sell them...any suggestions on best venues? Hoping it can offset my spree a bit. ThredUp pays a pittance, so I'm not giving them anything I think I can move myself.

Nonetheless, I totally failed the challenge, judge me if you want. I am, however, recommitting for the rest of the year starting now! Nothing else unless I *need* it. If I can finish my doctorate in spite of it all, I can not buy clothes for 7 months! :)

Well done getting your doctor grade. I understand that this is a very stressful situation. Some people respond to that by eating junk food. You get a shopping habit. Hopefully you will recognize your behaviour next time you are will have such 3 minute breaks and will try to do something that doesn't cost you money, like just browsing websites where you can't shop or anything else.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2018, 08:17:43 AM »
I'm in.  Didn't buy anything all year until last Sunday, when I went to the local mall to scope out Winners and the Bay.  Got myself one new pair of jeans that are great for work - biking/being active makes me go through jeans fast, and they wear out in un-mendable places (i.e., inner thigh).  Scored a pair for 23., marked down from 79.  Got two tops that are great for work; paid 23 and 26 each, which is a lot, but they are great quality brand-name knits and were marked down 70%.  They should last for years.

I do all of my browsing on the clearance racks, and I have to say that I have never seen so much Ivanka Trump stuff in my entire life, cluttering up all the good stuff.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 11:54:19 AM by meghan88 »

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2018, 09:46:21 AM »
@galliver Congratulations on defending your thesis! Since I fell off fairly big time as well, let's move forward together recommitted for the rest of the year! I think that's a much better approach than taking the "oh well, I've already not made it anyway, so..." approach of piling on, right? You're not alone at any rate.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2018, 10:03:11 AM »
I'm in.  Didn't buy anything all year until last Sunday, when I went to the local wall to scope out Winners and the Bay.  Got myself one new pair of jeans that are great for work - biking/being active makes me go through jeans fast, and they wear out in un-mendable places (i.e., inner thigh).  Scored a pair for 23., marked down from 79.  Got two tops that are great for work; paid 23 and 26 each, which is a lot, but they are great quality brand-name knits and were marked down 70%.  They should last for years.

I do all of my browsing on the clearance racks, and I have to say that I have never seen so much Ivanka Trump stuff in my entire life, cluttering up all the good stuff.

Stop wearing jeans when you cycle!  Get a pair of cycling shorts, they should last much longer.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2018, 10:12:23 AM »
I bought a top for a party (it has a silly dress code), but the top was inexpensive, so just went with it. However, I also bought a cute dress, as the store was having a buy one, get one 50% off sale. Yes, I realize I fell into the marketing trap. I've done a reasonably good job all year, and am going to stay the course & focus on things I actually need vs want.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2018, 10:15:08 AM »
@galliver Congratulations on defending your thesis! Since I fell off fairly big time as well, let's move forward together recommitted for the rest of the year! I think that's a much better approach than taking the "oh well, I've already not made it anyway, so..." approach of piling on, right? You're not alone at any rate.
Same here. I have successfully resisted the lure of cute tops while in Target since I fell off the wagon. Congrats on a successful defense!
Thank you both And I agree, better to get back on the wagon than wave goodbye, haha.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2018, 11:53:31 AM »
I'm in.  Didn't buy anything all year until last Sunday, when I went to the local wall to scope out Winners and the Bay.  Got myself one new pair of jeans that are great for work - biking/being active makes me go through jeans fast, and they wear out in un-mendable places (i.e., inner thigh).  Scored a pair for 23., marked down from 79.  Got two tops that are great for work; paid 23 and 26 each, which is a lot, but they are great quality brand-name knits and were marked down 70%.  They should last for years.

Stop wearing jeans when you cycle!  Get a pair of cycling shorts, they should last much longer.
You're right, of course.  But then I'd have to change at work.  Jeans are acceptable for work, but cycling shorts, not so much.  One more year until retirement and then it won't be an issue :-)  I think my current rotation of work jeans/pants will survive it, with maybe one casualty.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2018, 12:09:38 AM »
“I truly believe that  doing more with your person style starts with loving (and reinventing) what you already have and buying less. - “Classic Style” by Kate Schelter

Cool line to read!

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #137 on: June 02, 2018, 07:58:59 AM »
I'm doing well!  No clothes or shoes purchased since early April.  I still get the urge to pop into the thrift store and browse, but so far have resisted.  I've been reorganizing my closet and want to try a variation of Project 333.  Maybe I'll try 30 items for 1 month instead of 33 for 3 and see how it goes.  My goal is to reduce enough so that everything fits in my room (bureau, closet, and under bed for out of season items), with no overflow into the spare room.  The first step to this goal is to stop the influx!  I think I can make it the rest of the year with no more purchases since I don't need anything.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2018, 06:47:41 AM »
How's everyone doing?

I will confess to the very unnecessary purchase of matching fourth of July outfits for my kids. But I only spent $18 total and intentionally got things that could be worn again, so not as bad as it could have been.

For myself, I'm doing well. I did accept some clothes from my mom that she was getting rid of, which curbed any urge to shop.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2018, 10:56:05 AM »
I ordered some Landsend stuff on sale for my daughters to be delivered to my dad's place in the US.  I'll pick it up next month when I'm visiting.  it was all basics like leggings, shirts and a swim suit with decent sun coverage.  I find Landsend stuff good value as it tends to last through two kids.

I was really pissed off though as older daughter is off to scout camp in a couple of weeks and they asked us to send t-shirts in all the colors of the rainbow plus white.  We had a few rainbow colored shirts but I ended up having to buy 5 plain colored t-shirts that which cost me Euro 25 total at the markets.  So annoying.  I wonder what they are going to do with the shirts - they won't tell us.  I hope that they can at least be used again.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2018, 03:56:57 PM »
I had to buy a replacement rain shell a few weeks back, but am still succeeding with replacements only so far this year.  I went to a baby shower a few weeks ago and pulled out a casual dress to wear to it that I haven't had a reason or chance to use in a couple years, so that was great, to feel like I could use stuff I have and that I got to wear something a little different without having to buy something new!  I put on some jewelry (haven't worn much recently) and a denim jacket and I felt like I was having fun playing dress up without paying any money to do it! 

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2018, 05:31:04 PM »
I've been enjoying the stuff I got on my stress-spree and not hearing clothing's siren call.

I need to repair my sneakers (one pair I want to try to resole, another needs a glued denim patch on the heel where I seem to wear out all my shoes lately :( ) and change buttons on one button down so I can hopefully wear it on interviews. Right now the buttons are bizzare round beads and they pop open which probably won't go over well in a professional setting! ;)

I also need to sell some tops I got in my Hunt For A Button Down Shirt before I came to terms with the fact that I simply cannot pull off non-petite sizes, *especially* on button downs. I won't offer them here because no one needs that temptation!

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2018, 08:15:28 PM »
I don't think I have bought any clothes yet this year and I'm not even trying;)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2018, 01:40:12 AM »
Both DH and I bought 2 packs (in total 6 pairs) of hiking socks each. We use this brand of socks and all hiking and skiing. Recently we had to through away quite a few pairs become they have worn through on the heels.

On Sunday I was in a shop that sells nice hiking trousers. They had one in what I thought would be my size, so I tried it to see whether I fit the model. It was twice as expensive as what I want to spend on trousers. But I thought it was good to know the size, in case I ever see that pair on sale somewhere.
Then yesterday, I went looking online for those trousers on sale. I don't need them yet, my mind is just now focussed on them. Stupid. Luckily I haven't bought them yet and now realize that I am having the wrong mindset.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2018, 09:34:44 AM »
I haven't bought anything else for myself, and haven't really been tempted.

I bought a couple fall things for my older daughter at thrift stores, but she has very few things from last year that still fit so that qualifies as a necessary purchase. Younger daughter has plenty of hand-me-downs.

toodleoo

• Stubble
« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2018, 02:29:45 PM »
I also really needed to replace a couple of bras.  I caved and bought some of those expensive ThirdLove bras I've been seeing advertised everywhere for their "amazing" fit and 30 day guarantee.  They fit...like a little(?) better than any others I've ever had that were half the price?  I honestly don't know what to do.  I'm only a couple weeks in to the 30 day trial, so I could return them, but I already threw away my two old bras and that means I'd have to actually go shopping and do the hard work of finding other ones that fit almost as well.  I HATE bra shopping.  So I might keep them, even though I could save some money, because it saves me time and they fit marginally better.  I hate that I got sucked in, though, and I'm sure this is what they count on - people finding it more work than it's worth to do the returns.  Sigh.

Ha, I fell into the ThirdLove trap too. Didn't love the bras, didn't hate them. Didn't feel like going through the hassle of returning them. Next time I need new ones I will have to force myself to go shopping, ugh.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2018, 01:41:34 AM »

Ha, I fell into the ThirdLove trap too. Didn't love the bras, didn't hate them. Didn't feel like going through the hassle of returning them. Next time I need new ones I will have to force myself to go shopping, ugh.

My bras with favorite fit are certain models from Marie Jo, like this one:
https://www.fruugo.no/marie-jo-0100416-kvinners-avero-hvit-polstret-underwired-bh/p-15170639-32683167?ac=google&gclid=Cj0KCQjwk_TbBRDsARIsAALJSOYvuhR_TF4olTDAXI8fhTFfkZJuxsGj8mo_X4PNxGW-m4uYFM8JTioaAhPaEALw_wcB
They are expensive, but they keep their model for a decade or so.
As I have grown a cup size compared to my old Marie Jo bras, I caved in as well last year and bought a new one after searching the whole internet for those particular bras on sale. It is a slightly different model, but if fits fine. Even on half price, it still cost a lot more than my El Cheapo Hennes & Mauritz bra on 50% sale. The Marie Jo is a lot more comfortable to wear, though.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: August 29, 2018, 08:03:06 AM »
We just got back from our annual trip home to the US where I tend to go hog wild discount shopping clothes for the whole family since everything is so much cheaper over there.  This time, while we bought a few things at the TJ Maxx type place we go to, we managed to keep it within certain bounds.

I got a new backpack as the old one is all ripped.  I wear this to work every day so ripped back pack was not cool.  I got a pair of jeans shorts at a thrift shop and some nice shorts at discount shop.  We got a bunch of t-shirts and leggings for older DD that can eventually be handed down to younger DD and a new swim suit for younger DD with proper sun coverage (not available here in the land of the deep tan).  Also 2 t shirts and 2 shorts for my husband.  All in all, not too bad.   We only shop once a year in the US usually so this will be it for the year.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2018, 02:03:08 AM »
We just got back from our annual trip home to the US where I tend to go hog wild discount shopping clothes for the whole family since everything is so much cheaper over there.  This time, while we bought a few things at the TJ Maxx type place we go to, we managed to keep it within certain bounds.

I got a new backpack as the old one is all ripped.  I wear this to work every day so ripped back pack was not cool.  I got a pair of jeans shorts at a thrift shop and some nice shorts at discount shop.  We got a bunch of t-shirts and leggings for older DD that can eventually be handed down to younger DD and a new swim suit for younger DD with proper sun coverage (not available here in the land of the deep tan).  Also 2 t shirts and 2 shorts for my husband.  All in all, not too bad.   We only shop once a year in the US usually so this will be it for the year.

I have colleagues who typically travel to the US with empty suitcases to full them up over there. I can't imagine that such people would only buy necessary clothes.

Hula Hoop, sounds like you could restrain yourself pretty well.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2018, 02:26:51 AM »
Thanks, Linda. I was quite proud of myself.  It's hard when clothes are so much cheaper (and fit me better as I'm tall) not to overspend.