Author Topic: Only necessary clothes shopping 2018  (Read 30159 times)

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
Re: Only necessary clothes shopping 2018
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2018, 04:11:56 PM »
I'm joining the challenge!  Some of my organizing/decluttering has reminded me exactly how many items of clothing I have (ahem 24 cardigans - I just counted).

So, I'll only buy clothing if I truly need to replace something that is worn out, or for health and safety reasons (sun protection apparel, etc.).

This should be relatively easy for me since I usually don't actually like clothes shopping.  The key will be to resist the urge to stock up when there's a good deal on something.  I was also thinking about buying new fun workout apparel, but will hold off on that until my current workout pants wear out or (hopefully) get too big.

Bought so far this year:

2 sports bras and 4 pairs of underwear.  The underwear was a gray area in terms of necessity, but the sports bras were much-needed and already are being put to good use.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2018, 07:41:39 PM »
I need to lose my five holiday pounds or I'm going to have to go shoping. Motivation!

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2018, 08:08:38 PM »
I need to lose my five holiday pounds or I'm going to have to go shoping. Motivation!

I have 11 pairs of jeans that are too small right now (I counted the other day).  Definitely motivation to lose the weight and diversify my wardrobe!

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2018, 04:45:34 AM »
I've made it a month and a day, however, I'm cracking.  The reason I'm in this tread versus the absolutely no shopping thread is because of a wedding I'm going to this year.  I thought I had the shoes for it already but I've been wearing them to get used to them and they hurt my toes!!  I think i need a new pair.  I actually have three pairs of dressy shoes and they all hurt my feet.  Seems they feel fine when I try them on, but once I'm in them for any length of time, they hurt.  I want to get one nice pair in a nude color to work with anything in the future.  I'm going to get a wide size (never worn wide before) so I don't have this problem anymore, I hope.  It's so frustrating!!!

Mariposa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2018, 07:56:09 AM »
^^^Comfortable women's dressy shoes are a challenge. I've figured out that I can't do more than a 2" heel. Last year, I bought a pair of flats with a pointed toe to make them looksdressier and wore them comfortably for hours at a wedding. When the weather gets warmer, I can wear them to work, too. Strappy sandals or slides can also work for me. A block heel is usually more comfortable than a narrow one. I've been buying only black shoes in recent years, since my clothes palette is mostly black / white / gray / red / blue.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2018, 09:47:00 AM »
I'm going to a wedding next month and I have a dress I could wear, but if I lose 5-10 pounds I'll have a couple more options, include one I like but haven't worn yet because I got pregnant a couple weeks after buying it and it hasn't fit me since. I've been doing well with eating healthy, but that's a little extra motivation to keep it up!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2018, 04:42:33 PM »

For me, it's really about this, & it's what I've been working on in January. Still at zero clothes shopping for myself.

And @GuitarStv - for me, when I struggle with my weight, i look for clothes that make me "look thinner". You know, rather than just losing the weight & fitting back into original clothes. Obviously not logical, but, there's one answer for you. ;-)

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2018, 06:00:55 PM »
Woohoo, a month in!

This week's win - my mom accidentally shrunk her boxy wool cardigan. It now fits me! I wore it to work, at my very style conscious office, and got three different compliments. YES. I was worried about sweaters, but I seem to be making it through the sweater season just fine.

I did buy a pair of Blundstones in January before I fully committed to this challenge, but in my defence I have worn them every day since. Love those boots. I will probably try to consign the fancy pair they replaced that were just a little too short and cut into my ankles.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2018, 06:16:55 PM »
This is the perfect thread for me.  I need to avoid all unnecessary clothes shopping this year.  But I've about walked thru my work shoes and my down jacket is about done.  I don't have a lot of clothes so I tend to wear thru them. 

• I will allow necessary replacements.
  • Those replacements should come from socially conscious companies.
I find limiting purchases to local companies or companies with ethical practices helps me limit my spending and feel good about the little I do spend.

Today I bought a $300 down coat for $60.  I have needed to replace my old down coat for over a year, but wasn't going to pay full price.  It was worth the wait to find a good coat at a great price.  This one purchase was the primary reason I didn't feel that I could commit to the no clothes spending thread.  Absolutely no guilt on this purchase. 

I'll admit I was tempted by some of the other sales in the store, but I resisted.

DH also purchased jeans to replace a ripped pair and a new shirt.  But he hasn't committed to this challenge and rarely buys clothes.  He is a natural no unnecessary clothes shopper.

Only other purchase I foresee needing this year is replacement semi dressy walking shoes.  Mine have holes in the soles. I'm just doing without for now, but I would like to have a pair when we go on vacation in September.

Mariposa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2018, 09:46:41 AM »
In January, I continued to bike to work on 10F days (negatives with windchill), so I bought:
-ski gloves $21 (marked down from $80)
-Smartwool heavy wool socks, $26

Also, my toddler lost a mitten, so I bought a 3-pack for $13.

Not too bad.

While looking for toddler mittens on Amazon, I was tempted by AG skinny jeans going at that time for $50. I didn't get them, and they're now at the normal price of $200. But, who am I kidding? I'm the mother of a toddler & mostly live in leggings & sweats these days.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2018, 10:15:55 AM »
We're 10% of the way through the year; how's everyone doing?

Purchased so far: Socks, rain boots, and sandals for DD1. About $40 total. DH bought me a jacket, I think for $50, which I wouldn't have bought myself but I did keep.

Foreseeable purchases: DD2 will need some sandals, but I'm holding off to make sure I get the right size. DD1 will need some new summer clothes, as she's outgrown most of what she wore last year, which I plan to buy only at thrift/consignment stores. DD2 may or may not need summer clothes depending on when she sizes up. I could really use some new bras, but I'm really trying to hold off until after I wean DD2 to make sure they fit long-term.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2018, 06:36:30 AM »
So far this year:
Nothing for me, 3 summer onesies in a bigger size for the littlest, 2 pair sweatpants for DH, and 2 pair shoes, and one jacket+ outfit that came with it for the toddler. DH did a big closet purge so we are actually negative on clothes for the year.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2018, 07:50:04 AM »
Here's what we've bought YTD:
-A patch for my jeans. Has extended the life of existing clothing
-My husband spent $12 on having jeans hemmed
-We bought my son pants, for riding his bike to school. He previously only had one pair, so laundry was getting to be a problem. He asked for these for his birthday, so they are technically coming out of our "gift" budget.

All in all, we continue to declutter, so we're net negative as well for number of clothing items in the house.

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2018, 11:22:44 PM »
Since the beginning of the year: I purchased a pair of Blundstone's that I LOVE and have worn almost every day since, but they were necessary. :) Given a sweatshirt, a sweater, and three pairs of jeans, so that's convenient.

Only other purchase currently deemed necessary is a new pair of slippers. Mine have now disintegrated to the point where I am leaking rubber wherever I go.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2018, 06:04:04 PM »
Well yesterday my last pair of work shoes ripped.  So now I really have to buy shoes.  I was already wearing my backup pair after walking thru the soles of my other pair. So I guess I'll be shopping tomorrow. 

Hopefully this will be my last purchase for the year.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2018, 08:40:08 PM »
Here's what we've bought YTD:
-A patch for my jeans. Has extended the life of existing clothing
-My husband spent $12 on having jeans hemmed
-We bought my son pants, for riding his bike to school. He previously only had one pair, so laundry was getting to be a problem. He asked for these for his birthday, so they are technically coming out of our "gift" budget.

All in all, we continue to declutter, so we're net negative as well for number of clothing items in the house.

And, I noticed when doing laundry that the entire back half of my son's soccer socks were ripped out. Why he didn't mention it when it sprouted a small hole . . . no one knows. Ordered a two pack for $13.08

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2018, 09:14:35 AM »
Confession: I bought a workout tank I don't need. It was a fundraiser for my student's track team, and I'm a sucker for those things, but I should have just donated money directly to the team. I'll try to remember that for next time.

It IS good quality and personalized, so I will use it, but I already have plenty.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2018, 11:07:33 AM »
I had the "shopping bug" on Friday, so I decided to check out the new Goodwill in my neighborhood and check a couple things off my list of foreseeable needs for the kids. I got two skirts and two tops for DD1, and a pair of shoes for DD2.

Yesterday was DD2's birthday and she got three outfits and some pajamas from family members, and DD1 also got an outfit and pajamas. And my grandma gave me $40 and specified that she wanted me to use it on matching outfits for the girls. I don't often try to match them, but DD1 does love matching with her baby sister, so okay. I'll probably get them Easter dresses. So now both kids should be set on clothes for the next several months.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2018, 09:25:03 PM »
Bought shoes to replace my torn work shoes. This was 1 of my 2 items I knew I would need this year for sure. At the shoe store there were the cutest sandals on sale.  I really wanted them. But DH reminded me that I didn't need them and that wasn't why I was there. So I put them back and stuck to my one needed purchase. 

Is it terrible that I am sort of hoping that DH goes back and buys them for me for Valentine's Day? we don't really buy valentines gifts so not gonna happen. Still couldn't help hoping.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2018, 01:19:43 PM »
(Snip)

Is it terrible that I am sort of hoping that DH goes back and buys them for me for Valentine's Day? we don't really buy valentines gifts so not gonna happen. Still couldn't help hoping.
That is hilarious.

So, did he?

I pestered my husband not to get me anything this year, since I'm trying to lose weight (so no chocolate, please) and I think Valentine's Day flowers are a rip-off. On the 15th, I came home to a silly little bear in a mug with hearts on it. I actually like the mug, to my surprise, and thanked him for the gesture. We agreed the gift is junk, and joked about how it cost almost nothing since Valentine's Day was over. He can't bring himself to not do a little something, and I can't be upset at him for that.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2018, 02:38:26 PM »
I found a dress & really wanted it as a reward for doing well with my eating & working out. . . talked myself down by instead realizing that, if I keep this up, I can instead wear all of the too tight things in my closet. Reality check.

I also had to replace my son's soccer cleats - $22. We have pretty much every other size as hand me downs, but not this one. Drat.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2018, 07:52:38 AM »
I'm having a really tough run with clothes lately.  I ripped a pair of jeans this week.  I've already had 2 other pairs rip in the past few months.  I didn't replace those as I could get by without them. But I may have to replace this pair.  When you have fewer clothes it seems like you wear thru the few you have more quickly.  Also seems like clothes are made of thinner material that wears.  I need to find some jeans that won't wear out so quickly.  All of the jeans that tore, tore in the same place and were the same brand.  I'll be looking for a new go to brand for jeans. Looking for quality and ethical production practices.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2018, 08:42:54 AM »
Oh my. I haven't been skiing in four years, and have *ahem* gained a few pounds over that time period. We are doing a day trip to ski tomorrow, and my pants are dangerously tight. Like, unclear how I'm going to sit in the lift tight. :-( I really, really don't want to buy new pants. The ones I have are in great condition, despite being 15 years old. And, while we'd like to figure out a way to make skiing happen regularly with the kids, we haven't been successful since we moved to the Bay area. Drat. I think I'm going to suffer through tomorrow, and if we decide to go again, will have more time to scout out a used option.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2018, 10:17:43 AM »
Oh my. I haven't been skiing in four years, and have *ahem* gained a few pounds over that time period. We are doing a day trip to ski tomorrow, and my pants are dangerously tight. Like, unclear how I'm going to sit in the lift tight. :-( I really, really don't want to buy new pants. The ones I have are in great condition, despite being 15 years old. And, while we'd like to figure out a way to make skiing happen regularly with the kids, we haven't been successful since we moved to the Bay area. Drat. I think I'm going to suffer through tomorrow, and if we decide to go again, will have more time to scout out a used option.

Jeans plus long johns works well as long as you don't spend too much time on the ground.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2018, 06:48:48 PM »
I like your optimism @Candace , but I envision spending some time on the ground, given how long it's been since I've skied!

ATLAtty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2018, 06:13:20 AM »
A little late but joining this for 2018 too! I did buy some replacements for work clothes and shoes that had worn out in January- first real shopping trip I’d done in over a year. My plan is to only replace necessary wardrobe items that wear out and must be replaced. Also, to try and wear through the items in my closet that are close to end of life sooner rather than letting them linger. I have 3 pairs of dress shoes that have 10 or fewer wears remaining.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2018, 08:15:48 AM »
I like your optimism @Candace , but I envision spending some time on the ground, given how long it's been since I've skied!
I did this a couple of years ago when I went skiing for the first time in over 20 years. I fell a few times, but since I was a bit conservative in skiing I didn't get too wet. DH and I were almost the only ones on the mountain in jeans rather than ski pants.

Do you have an update? I bet the ski pants were fine once you wore them for a little while.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2018, 08:20:28 AM »
I did this a couple of years ago when I went skiing for the first time in over 20 years. I fell a few times, but since I was a bit conservative in skiing I didn't get too wet. DH and I were almost the only ones on the mountain in jeans rather than ski pants.

Do you have an update? I bet the ski pants were fine once you wore them for a little while.

Skiing was great, and I was super conservative & didn't take any really challenging runs. Pants would not button, especially as i had to layer with long johns. My jacket mostly covered everything, but it was not comfortable! If we go again, will look for used pants.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2018, 09:08:53 AM »

Skiing was great, and I was super conservative & didn't take any really challenging runs. Pants would not button, especially as i had to layer with long johns. My jacket mostly covered everything, but it was not comfortable! If we go again, will look for used pants.
Sounds like a win! Great job on holding the non-clothes-shopping line.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2018, 05:22:52 PM »

When I went skiing for the first time in a long time a few years ago, I balked at the price of ski pants and got rain pants and good (warm) base layer bottoms instead.  Total cost was maybe not far off, but I've used the base layer while camping add traveling to the Midwest in winter, and the rain pants (nylon, elastic-waist, cut like sweatpants) are also more versatile add will work fine if I go down a size or few...haven't needed to use them since, though.

On the other hand, it is the end of ski season...good time to get a deal on ski gear if needed!

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2018, 07:08:52 PM »
I started 2018 with a "No clothes buying" goal. However, my father was diagnosed with aggressive leukemia, and died within the month the doctors gave him. I made an unexpected trip to the US to take care of him and say goodbye, and forgot to pack extra underwear! So I bought 4 pairs at Target asap.

Then two outfits at the thrift store for his wake and funeral, since I'd not been mentally up for bringing any along while he was still alive, as if that would jinx things: vintage black 50s dress with discreet white sequins and Armani jacket, and form-fitting long black dress with vintage alpaca short cape, so I blended in well with the priests ;)

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2018, 07:18:16 PM »
Expat so sorry for your loss.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2018, 10:58:19 PM »
Got the bag and shoes I was keeping an eye out for (my pre-stated exception) to fill a wardrobe gap, so I'm all set for the next wedding I'm a guest at. Saw a bag I actually liked (rare, I find many purses ugly) in the right color in an online TJMaxx ad, found matching flats on clearance for $15 :)

I also realized after I posted that I'd been thinking about an interview-appropriate bag that would fit my laptop, but now I'm thinking maybe I can borrow boyfriend's when I start actively job hunting again...got him a nice leather messenger for Christmas one year, and it served well, but now he rarely has need of it (changed companies/roles). A bit manly, but as an engineer I bet I can pull it off (I wear "manly" shoes to interviews, too, they're lab and production floor safe!)

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2018, 02:03:41 AM »
Expat so sorry for your loss.

Thanks BD, it was very peaceful and virtually pain-free. All of us around him learned a lot and are I think less afraid of when the inevitable happens to us.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2018, 02:09:51 AM »
One way I've been quelling my shopping urges has been by completely changing my wardrobe by the season, from tops to shoes. In Hong Kong where I live we've got just two seasons: sweaty or cool. This keeps my favorite items on rotation so they stay fresh, and is space efficient too.

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2018, 05:19:44 AM »
One way I've been quelling my shopping urges has been by completely changing my wardrobe by the season, from tops to shoes. In Hong Kong where I live we've got just two seasons: sweaty or cool. This keeps my favorite items on rotation so they stay fresh, and is space efficient too.

I've been thinking of doing something like this too, but probably several times a year.  Kind of like a capsule wardrobe but not limited by an item count and probably with a lot of overlap since I layer a lot.

Now for my February recap;  I bought a couple of Columbia fleeces for my SO at deep discounts.  But he's not part of this challenge so they don't count.  I just have to make sure I don't substitute shopping for him to fulfill my shopping needs.

I've only shopped for the wedding for myself so far.  I got a pashmina to match my dress.  I think it was $8.95.  I'm still on the hunt for shoes for the wedding.  I bought a couple pairs online and returned one of them.  Still deciding on the other.  I'm trying to decide if I should go for 'perfect' or 'good enough'.  Do people really notice shoes that much?  My idea is that as long as they are appropriate with the outfit and are in good shape, people don't notice.  But if there is something very wrong with them (too old, dirty, not a match with the outfit) they will notice.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2018, 10:06:00 AM »

I'm trying to decide if I should go for 'perfect' or 'good enough'.  Do people really notice shoes that much?  My idea is that as long as they are appropriate with the outfit and are in good shape, people don't notice.  But if there is something very wrong with them (too old, dirty, not a match with the outfit) they will notice.

I think if you aren't wearing ratty tennis shoes, or something similarly vastly inappropriate, no one will give you a second look. In your shoes (ha) I would focus on good fit (so you don't have 4 pairs of shoes that hurt!!) and versatility, over perfectly matching the dress. For the dress I was shopping for, the perfect fit may have been white heels, but nude flats work just fine and I might actually use them for something else...they seemed a good wardrobe staple, basically.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2018, 01:17:10 PM »
I'm in on this.  I should not need to purchase anything unless things get worn out, and even then, it would only be for work clothes that get worn out - i have exactly 4 work outfits (M-Th) and if any pieces of those wear out to such a point that I look unkempt, I will happily replace it, but otherwise nothing gets purchased. 

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2018, 06:25:21 AM »
Checking in - still no clothing purchased since I joined the challenge. I thought I was going to have a hard time deciding whether or not to buy the souvenir t-shirt for the conference I attended (good-quality and something I can actually wear to work regularly), but luckily the design wasn't very interesting this year and I wasn't even tempted!

I did get a free exercise tank top from my Jazzercise instructor, which was a nice treat in the middle of this challenge.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2018, 02:52:06 PM »

So, I bought a pair of pants yesterday, as we were supposed to ski again today. it was going to be extremely cold, and I needed a thicker layer. Bought desperation ski pants. Got half way to skiing, and the pass was closed. What a day. But, did return the pants. I don't really get credit, as I did make the purchase. I did sell a watch for $327, so have that going for me, and a bracelet for the princely sum of $2.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2018, 01:08:30 AM »
This is indeed a thread for me. I don't want to buy unnecessary clothes in 2018. So far so good this year, I haven't bought any clothes.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2018, 01:27:05 AM »
I’ve been shopping my closet! Staying strong. Some temptations but doing well so far.

Only clothing purchase has been a bridesmaid dress! Woot!

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2018, 05:24:14 AM »
I'm all packed for a warm-weather vacation and wasn't even tempted to buy new clothes.  I'm pretty much bringing exactly the same things as last year and I'm fine with that - makes it easy!  And luckily I fit into all of it again after gaining some weight last summer/fall (and then losing most of it this winter).

I am buying tennis shoes tomorrow for my trip.  Definitely a necessary purchase since I threw out my old pair of travel tennis shoes after stepping in something very questionable in downtown Portland last month, haha.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2018, 01:57:12 PM »
I bought both my kids much needed shoes last weekend.  They were inexpensive though.  Nothing for me.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2018, 06:10:23 AM »
I as tempted to buy a new whitish woolen sweater, which I wanted to paint using mushrooms. But I alrweady have such a sweater in other colours, so I don't need a new one. So I'll refrain from buying it.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2018, 06:40:59 AM »
So far in 2018:

A pair of winter gloves I needed. (And before I joined the challenge)

One pair of shoe laces from the dollar store to replace my broken hiking boot laces.

That's it! I am super impressed with myself so far this year. I have cut back on shopping for pretty much anything for myself and instead focus my energy on selling extra items in my house, selling items I have upcycled (using currently owned supplies) and flipping items I find. It has sorted killed any inclination to "shop" and this challenge is becoming a no brainer habit for me.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2018, 06:54:07 AM »
I had to buy socks. That was a long time coming.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2018, 12:09:09 PM »
Guess I'm switching here from the "absolutely zero" group. I'm training for a half marathon and it was necessary to purchase a couple clothing items (one pair pants, 2 tops, 2 sports bras with ample support). I also bought 2 additional lighter weight sports bras for yoga (I never have enough clean since I only had 1). Then I really failed and bought a new non-workout top yesterday as a result of peer pressure. Getting back on the wagon starting now!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2018, 01:05:42 PM »
I checked my expenses from 2017, the category clothes and shoes. I had one major purchase, which was a pair of heavy hiking boots. I hope these will last for 10 years.
Otherwise I bought 2 pairs of shorts and 2 bras. I really needed shorts and bras. And probably some socks that have been logged as groceries. I am a bit proud of myself for not buying so many clothes.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2018, 08:10:06 PM »
Since my last update, the only thing I've bought is matching Easter dresses for my girls, with money that my grandma gave me. She gave me the money for that purpose, so I'm considering the dresses to be gifts rather than purchases.

I still haven't bought anything for myself, although I'm coming to the realization that a lot of my tops are wearing out, and I'll probably need to buy a few more this year. But I'm going to hold out as long as I can.