Author Topic: Only buy clothes that you really need in 2019  (Read 29428 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Only buy clothes that you really need in 2019
« Reply #200 on: November 25, 2019, 12:44:55 AM »
<...>

Just found this thread. I stumbled on MMM's blog about six months ago, so I suppose my challenge started then. Haven't bought any clothes since July, other than a pair of running shoes to replace a worn-out pair (I run half marathons so I go through runners fast). I'll see how long I can hold out - avoiding the fancy mall under my office and the main shopping street in my city has been effective so far.

Just realizing that you don't need to be fashionable and change your wardrobe every season helps a lot. It can give you a feeling of strength just walking past those shops full of stuff that you don't need to spend money on. Until that day that you need something new.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #201 on: December 06, 2019, 06:39:42 AM »
<...>

Just found this thread. I stumbled on MMM's blog about six months ago, so I suppose my challenge started then. Haven't bought any clothes since July, other than a pair of running shoes to replace a worn-out pair (I run half marathons so I go through runners fast). I'll see how long I can hold out - avoiding the fancy mall under my office and the main shopping street in my city has been effective so far.

Just realizing that you don't need to be fashionable and change your wardrobe every season helps a lot. It can give you a feeling of strength just walking past those shops full of stuff that you don't need to spend money on. Until that day that you need something new.

Yup, that's a good quote.  Thanks for sharing.

This year I stranded and bought too much that I didn't NEED but wanted and I already have enough. For me, NOT buying anything is easier than only what I need because I will debate myself on needs versus wants. Strict rules are necessary to avoid having to make choices.

I don't need to be fashionable. I KNOW this and don't like trends anyway so this should be a no-brainer but I like adding new (new for me, usually 2nd hand) things because I like choices. I have enough to choose from and it won't all wear out in one year at all.

2020 will therefore be a year of NO clothes buying for me.

Only exception is underwear (including panty hose because I'm low on that and don't want to buy in advance), but only if really needed. This will not be a problem for me because I don't buy this for fun, only when needed anyway. No clothes, no shoes, no bags, no scarves.

Swapping is also allowed (I rarely do but if this happens, it's ok).

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: December 06, 2019, 06:50:31 AM »
I wasn't actually participating in this challenge, but I think that the only thing I bought to wear this year was a pair of shoes to replace my 16 year-old pair of Doc Martens.  And I replaced them with the exact same pair (bought on Poshmark...old-school Made in England that arrived with the laces still tied on the inside like no one had ever worn them).  I *might* have to go to get a heavier coat before my vacation, but that will be from the thrift store because I can't justify spending a ton of money when it really only gets really cold here for a few days a year.

The kiddo was a little more difficult.  We only replaced things that were worn out, but drastically reduced the amount of clothes that he has to choose from in the mornings.  For winter we just got him a set of thermal long sleeve shirts to wear under the t-shirts that he already had. 

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #203 on: December 06, 2019, 07:20:39 AM »

2020 will therefore be a year of NO clothes buying for me. [/b]

Only exception is underwear (including panty hose because I'm low on that and don't want to buy in advance), but only if really needed. This will not be a problem for me because I don't buy this for fun, only when needed anyway. No clothes, no shoes, no bags, no scarves.

Should we start a 2020 thread?

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #204 on: December 06, 2019, 08:15:50 AM »

Yes, good idea. Was thinking this as well if others were interested.

Should we start 1 for all clothes related purchases (not buying anything / only buying clothes) or separate?

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #205 on: December 06, 2019, 12:05:19 PM »

Should we start 1 for all clothes related purchases (not buying anything / only buying clothes) or separate?

I’m not sure what you mean - is it 1 thread for buy no clothes at all, and 1 thread for only buying clothes you need? The first one is a much harder challenge, if you can’t even replace what wears out.

I would be in the “only buy clothes you need” thread, if it’s separate.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #206 on: December 07, 2019, 12:52:52 AM »

I’m not sure what you mean - is it 1 thread for buy no clothes at all, and 1 thread for only buying clothes you need? The first one is a much harder challenge, if you can’t even replace what wears out.

I think separate threads are best, because the challenges are very different.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #207 on: December 07, 2019, 02:48:15 AM »

I agree.  I'm in for the "buy no clothes at all in 2020" challenge if anyone else is!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #208 on: December 08, 2019, 01:34:03 PM »

I agree.  I'm in for the "buy no clothes at all in 2020" challenge if anyone else is!

Yes sorry! My post was a little confusing as I posted too soon and forgot some words. I meant separate threads indeed, one for no clothes at all, one for only what you need.

I get that the first challenge is not for everyone but for me it should be fine. I’ve done 11 months when I had less clothes than I have now and for me it’s necessary. I will make one of the threads, for no clothes shopping at all.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: December 08, 2019, 03:03:57 PM »
Since I posted in the spring post-baby, I've bought a pair of socks, a wool base-layer from Smartwool, and a lined flannel, none of which I needed.  I'm going to join the "Buy nothing 2020" thread and plan for the best!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #210 on: December 13, 2019, 02:26:04 AM »
DH bought himself a new sweater and bought one for me as well, without my knowledge. It is similar to one that I have already, but in another color. My old one has a big white area that is dirty with blacks spots from the wood stove that don't disappear in the washing machine. I use that old sweater all the time and DH thinks I will now use that new sweater all the time instead.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #211 on: December 13, 2019, 03:48:15 AM »
I am looking to close the year out not buying anything and cant remember the last time I posted buying something. I know I will get a couple things for xmas I put on my list like socks, couple long underwear shirts but yea, was a low budget spending clothes year for me and all that I do have is still in great shape. Well what can really go wrong with jeans, flannel shirts etc..

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #212 on: December 13, 2019, 10:44:07 AM »
For those of you who online shop for clothes (I sometimes do it), here's a reason not to:  a recent CBC article says that lots of stores throw out returned items, because the cost of restocking them is too great.  Because sizing in women's clothes is so inconsistent, it's common to order 2 or 3 sizes and return the ones that don't fit.  Those returns often go into the landfill.  They aren't donated because brands don't want to cheapen the value of their items by having them be available at a fraction of their new price.  One more reason to shop locally, where you can actually try things on.  (And another reason for Costco to have fitting rooms, one of my pet peaves.)

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: December 15, 2019, 07:47:18 AM »
For those of you who have done well on this challenge in 2019; please buy a pair of socks or something before the sun turns (December 22th), so you don't get eaten by the Yule Cat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_Christmas_folklore#Yule_Cat

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #214 on: December 16, 2019, 01:49:39 AM »
For those of you who online shop for clothes (I sometimes do it), here's a reason not to:  a recent CBC article says that lots of stores throw out returned items, because the cost of restocking them is too great.  Because sizing in women's clothes is so inconsistent, it's common to order 2 or 3 sizes and return the ones that don't fit.  Those returns often go into the landfill.  They aren't donated because brands don't want to cheapen the value of their items by having them be available at a fraction of their new price.  One more reason to shop locally, where you can actually try things on.  (And another reason for Costco to have fitting rooms, one of my pet peaves.)

Yes. I’ve read that somewhere as well or maybe from a podcast. That’s awful. Thanks for the reminder.

Fast fashion industry is so awful. I’ve also read that for really fast fashion brands they make a new collection every 2 weeks. Because this has to be in shops really quick they make it 3 times, 3 different factories. The first that has the lot ready gets paid. The other clothing is discarded. They also make twice as much as they think they will sell, because when it does get popular they don’t have the time to have a factory make it again..

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #215 on: December 16, 2019, 07:35:51 AM »
I have done so much better on clothes buying this year because of this thread.  Not perfect, but way way better.  Thank you for the accountability place.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #216 on: December 16, 2019, 07:55:52 AM »
I have done so much better on clothes buying this year because of this thread.  Not perfect, but way way better.  Thank you for the accountability place.

Good to hear. I did much worse than last year, when I spent hardly anything, just some socks, a replacement bra and a pair of sports shoes. This year I have been too soft. But it defenitely helps to write it down here. I still spend only a small fraction of what normal people do, but it feels like a lot.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #217 on: December 25, 2019, 07:05:06 PM »
I'm currently on vacation in a place that's supposed to be cold and snowy this time of the year.  While packing last week, I discovered that I own no real winter clothing.  I have summer clothes and I have hoodie to wear over winter clothing.  So I bought a long wool coat.  At a consignment shop.  And it was on sale.  And as a bonus, it had a pair of gloves in the pocket (too bad I've already lost one).  However, it been quite mild this week and I could have gotten away with only my hoodies...

arstidir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #218 on: December 27, 2019, 05:24:44 AM »
I much prefer making clothes myself. Then I can be sure it will fit me perfectly. Also, I choose the style, not wander aimlessly in a mall trying to find something I'd kinda like. Besides, I'm sure it's more or less good quality. There are just two downsides to it: it takes quite a lot of time and it's a headache to find a proper store to buy fabrics from. So far, I like https://tissura.com/, the prices are decent and the range is wide enough for me.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #219 on: December 28, 2019, 08:02:23 AM »
I bought three new undies, one for free. Very functional ones that I like to use. I got a technical sports shirt as a gift. Not of the type I asked for, but I can use it well. I didn’t buy any other clothes while visiting a city.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #220 on: December 29, 2019, 10:43:20 AM »
Did not buy any clothing in the Christmas sales although I really could use some new undies. 

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #221 on: January 01, 2020, 03:44:40 AM »
Reporting back at the end of the year, I think I did pretty well.  One fleece top on sale that I didn't really need.  Other than that clothing purchases this year were limited to underwear, socks, a pair of slippers, a pair of wellies, a jumper and a pair of leggings, all of which were needed and are in heavy rotation.

I also cleared a lot of things out of my wardrobe that I've never/hardly ever worn and passed them on to a charity shop for someone else to make use of while also donating to charity, in the hope that their going into reuse elsewhere offsets some of the environmental cost of what I have bought.

Carrying on with the challenge for next year.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #222 on: January 02, 2020, 11:10:59 AM »
I'm in! The last two years I fell into the trap of, "It's okay if it's second-hand." And that's how I ended up with a bunch of things from ThredUp and Poshmark that don't fit well (or at all). Someone in my Buy Nothing group requested clothes in my size for a woman who was "getting back on her feet." I don't know her story, but I tore through my closet with no mercy and ended up giving her a winter coat (she didn't have one) plus a TON of clothes, and a used Coach purse (she is now the third owner).

In 2020, no clothes for me except to replace things. Known purchases:

-Bras (always)
-work pants (DH is buying them for my late Christmas present)
-Underwear (may or may not need more)
-socks (where do they all go???)
-work shoes

Anything else would be a want, not a need.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #223 on: January 04, 2020, 01:51:02 AM »
I'm in! The last two years I fell into the trap of, "It's okay if it's second-hand." And that's how I ended up with a bunch of things from ThredUp and Poshmark that don't fit well (or at all). Someone in my Buy Nothing group requested clothes in my size for a woman who was "getting back on her feet." I don't know her story, but I tore through my closet with no mercy and ended up giving her a winter coat (she didn't have one) plus a TON of clothes, and a used Coach purse (she is now the third owner).

In 2020, no clothes for me except to replace things. Known purchases:

-Bras (always)
-work pants (DH is buying them for my late Christmas present)
-Underwear (may or may not need more)
-socks (where do they all go???)
-work shoes

Anything else would be a want, not a need.

Why not start a new thread for 2020?