Author Topic: Only buy clothes that you really need in 2019  (Read 29418 times)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
Re: Only buy clothes that you really need in 2019
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2019, 01:31:10 PM »
I ordered 2 pairs of jeans and one pair of cordouroy trousers today, all for $55 on Lucky brand jeans clearance sale. This is the first time I have bought clothes this year. Yesterday my DH bought me 2 sweaters at a thrift shop. So far I have thrown out two pairs of jeans with holes, one pair of stretched out yoga pants, one pair of shorts that I only wear for painting, and several bras and underwear that were itchy or did not fit well.

My jeans got here today, very pleased with them as I had to guess at the size. They are all same brand and same size: the jeans fit very comfortably but one pair is about an inch too long and the other is about five inches too long, so I will have to hem them. The trousers are a little snug but they are the right length. Go figure.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2019, 06:07:32 AM »
I need to bring something back to a store. But I find it a waste to only drive there for that purpose. So I was thinking about what to do there more. I would like a new winter jacket when it is sale. Maybe something similar to what I have, which is a very good jacket. DH wondered why on earth I needed a new jacket if it was so similar to the old one. What was wrong with my old jacket. Well, nothing really. I have just been wearing it for 7 winters or so. I guess I want some variation.

Now I had a look at the shop's online store. Damn, these winter jackets are expensive, even the ones on sale. So I guess I will forget that I want it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2019, 08:16:21 PM »
I had three items on my "must replace/buy" list for 2019:

-Running shoes
-Sports bras (mine are 10+ years old, and are useless at this point)
-A one piece bathing suit that I can wear in front of the kids/SUP in, exercise in, etc, but doesn't make me look 20+ years of my age

I just ordered three new pair of running shoes. (I'll only keep one pair). I'm hopeful that I'll find something that works. I've been training for a half marathon & one of my two pair of shoes is 7 years old. Oops.

I also finally found the bras that I love at Target. I bought 4 on a gift card. I will purge all of the stretched out ones. Hurrah.

I also found two great bathing suits. We have a pool, so I think I will use both on vacations, etc. I'm planning to keep bot at this point. Both are flattering but don't reveal too much, I'd feel comfortable with teenage boys around, & I could kayak, etc in them.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2019, 03:22:51 AM »

I just ordered three new pair of running shoes. (I'll only keep one pair). I'm hopeful that I'll find something that works. I've been training for a half marathon & one of my two pair of shoes is 7 years old. Oops.

I have been doing that occasionally, when ordering sandals: ordering 3 different pairs and sending 2 back. I think the shops might dislike that, as they pay for the sending back. But for me it is the only option for buying clothes and shoes online. You have to try it out.

The other trick is to find a new pair that is the same as your old pair (of sports shoes). Then you know exactly which brand, model and size you need. I did that once when I replaced my winter shoes. Found exactly the same model, in a different colour.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2019, 07:22:06 AM »
@Linea_Norway -I'd love to order the same running shoes, but they are so old that the shoe company has been through four updated models. The sizing changes a bit each time, so I need to try them on & even likely run on a treadmill with them to see if they have enough support.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2019, 08:50:32 AM »
Still haven't bought any clothes this year, but I'm going to have to buy a specific kind of dress shirt for a hobby. Unfortunately I can't make do with any shirts I already have because I have to match the rest of the group. I found one that will work on sale for $25, so I ordered it and will see if it looks okay. I hope it does, because most of the other options I am finding are $50-$60 and I really don't want to spend that much. It won't be a totally single use item because I can also wear it to work, but I don't need any more work tops. I'm a little annoyed at the need to purchase this shirt, but I do like the hobby so what can you do.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2019, 09:59:04 AM »
I have bought a couple of things this year so far, but it's been pretty minimal and definitely more "need" than "want". I got a dress for my niece's wedding which was this past Monday, because what I thought I was going to wear didn't fit...I also replaced a few worn out socks and underwear (definitely keeping a 2 out 1 in ratio there, or better), bought a couple more business attire items for work (super, super cheap; getting into a position where I can't just wear jeans every day), and replaced my worn out boots that I wear all the time.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2019, 12:02:52 PM »
I did not buy a new sweater yesterday, even though I would like it and it was on sale. I don't actually need it.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2019, 11:30:23 AM »
Shoe store went out of business last year so I really stocked up. I may never buy insulated winter boots again!
I'll get:
Running shoes, socks and underwear. Probably nothing else.

Most of our clothing costs go to my two college-age daughters. Fortunately, one daughter loves my wife's styles from 30 years ago, very expensive stuff when new. They both mostly buy second-hand for day-to-day wear so I have no complaints.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2019, 03:55:21 PM »
Checking in.  Nothing bought this year so far. 

daffodil2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2019, 04:51:38 PM »
I don’t think I bought any clothing so far this year. Other than running shoes I don’t think I need anything. This will be a good challenge for me because I have a hard time passing up thrift store clothes even though I don’t need any more. This weekend I went to three thrift stores and only bought what I was there for (a dining table)—a pretty big achievement for me since one of the stores had all of their clothes marked down to $1.

Korrywow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • World of Wonders, Words of Wisdom
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2019, 06:33:32 PM »
Great thread! ...and wear your current clothes until they are irreparable. The trick is to buy quality, non- fashion clothes ( or you can use fashion to your advantage. For example: black tights. As a cyclist, l have been wearing them for 40 years...for riding, skiing, running and snorkling).
Stay with Neutral colors, simple classic design, etc.
Don't be a fashion sucka...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2019, 08:43:36 PM »
Ack. I've had so many foot/knee problems. I've received my running shoes, so I'll try these out (on the treadmill) to see if they work. I also ordered inserts to wear in some of my shoes, but may just need a more supportive pair of work shoes. I LOVE my current shoes, and they weren't cheap when I bought them last year. But, I'm really motivated to feel better & get back to my workouts!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2019, 12:11:01 AM »
I probably need to go to a funeral next week. I thought I didn't have any black clothes, but after researching my pile of trousers, I found an old, but decent looking pair of black trousers, made of a soft cloth material. I also have a pair of nicer looking dark blue trousers.
For tops, I have a nice looking black leather jacket (bought before I was a Mustachian) that I could wear, or a black and white woollen cardigan. The cardigan looks very nice from a distance, but looks a bit worn from up close. I also have a pair of fancy black shoes (bought before I was a Mustachian) that I guess I could wear. Or my normal black winter shoes, but they are not that nice and over there it is not winter anymore. I also have some decent dark green shoes.

So I hope I can manage looking decent without buying new clothes that I would only wear for the occasion. DH has brought along his dark grey wedding dress for the occasion. He had to adjust the trousers a bit to fit into them. But a quality suit is prepared that that. He just made the seam in the back a bit wider. As we say: as an adult man, you need a suit for weddings and funerals. But you can reuse that suit on all these occasions.

Gail2000

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2019, 04:02:00 AM »
So far the only clothes I have gotten were pjs.other things have been given to me so there’s a loop hole! Lovely mother inlaw I have.

Wonderful challenge to be a part of! Trying to get hubby to go through and get rid of the stuff we both have no use for. After tax season, he won’t be able to hide =)

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2019, 09:41:45 AM »
Another month with no clothes, but there is a bit of a hitch in the plan . . .

I'm pregnant with our third child!  The little one is due around Halloween.  We are very excited, of course, but there will probably need to be some new clothes.  Fortunately, I don't think it will be that many.  Because this is not our first rodeo, I'm very aware that it is NOT NECESSARY to buy a whole new wardrobe for pregnancy.  I could use a few pairs of leggings and one or two pairs of maternity jeans to wear under dresses and long tops until the weather warms up.  Then, it will probably be dresses and skirts I already have through the summer. Then back to the same leggings and jeans in the fall. 

Some slip-on shoes would also be nice, but I mentioned that before.  Just haven't picked a pair yet.

Good news is that, unlike in years past, I probably won't be spending on my portion of our family group Halloween costume.  This year I will be going as the very pregnant lady who stays home and hands out candy!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2019, 10:40:04 PM »
Another month with no clothes, but there is a bit of a hitch in the plan . . .

I'm pregnant with our third child!  The little one is due around Halloween.  We are very excited, of course, but there will probably need to be some new clothes.  Fortunately, I don't think it will be that many.  Because this is not our first rodeo, I'm very aware that it is NOT NECESSARY to buy a whole new wardrobe for pregnancy.  I could use a few pairs of leggings and one or two pairs of maternity jeans to wear under dresses and long tops until the weather warms up.  Then, it will probably be dresses and skirts I already have through the summer. Then back to the same leggings and jeans in the fall. 

Some slip-on shoes would also be nice, but I mentioned that before.  Just haven't picked a pair yet.

Good news is that, unlike in years past, I probably won't be spending on my portion of our family group Halloween costume.  This year I will be going as the very pregnant lady who stays home and hands out candy!

Congrats on the pregnancy.

I hadn't thought of that, that the previous pregnancy clothes might not be suited, but of course they could be for different parts of the year. There should also be a good second hand market for such clothes. Maybe ask some friends after it has become visible?

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2019, 07:23:21 AM »

Congrats on the pregnancy.

I hadn't thought of that, that the previous pregnancy clothes might not be suited, but of course they could be for different parts of the year. There should also be a good second hand market for such clothes. Maybe ask some friends after it has become visible?

Thanks!

It's not so much that that the previous pregnancy clothes wouldn't be suited, it's more that, particularly in the case of jeans, I wore them OUT and had to dispose of them.  For obvious reason, I don't buy super high quality maternity clothes, and for those nine months (and several months after), the clothes I do buy get a TON of wear.  For the first pregnancy, I bought some clothes.  A lot of the shirts and a couple dresses that pass for non-maternity I still have in the regular rotation.  The maternity jeans from that pregnancy were so amazing and comfortable that I wore them all the way out.  Second pregnancy, I bough a few more clothes, but realized that I could make do with some of my stretchier, roomier non-maternity clothes.  I may have bought one dress I could wear for more formal work functions.  I have a maternity trench coat I bought that I still wear because it passes for non-maternity.  The jeans I bought for that pregnancy were different -- the quality of the fabric in the panel wasn't as good and they were always falling down.  I don't know what I did with them, but I'm really hoping Old Navy went back to the kind of maternity jeans I had seven years ago with the first pregnancy.

In other words, if you only have one or two pairs of relatively low quality jeans to wear for nine months, they won't be much good to anyone after that. :)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2019, 07:56:59 AM »
Congratulations Aelias!!  I used the same pregnancy clothes for both pregnancies.  I might be weird but I was so enormous so early especially during the second pregnancy that I really had to wear pregnancy clothes.  I tried to keep it to a minimum and bought 1 nice black work summer dress for cheap at H&M, black dress pants for work at H&M, a neutral colored pregnancy skirt for work and a couple of nice-ish  tops for work, one pregnancy sweater and some maternity jeans, t-shirts and shorts for the weekend. I also received a bunch of hand-me-downs from friends. I managed to wear a few non-pregnancy stretchy clothes during pregnancy but by 3rd trimester they were way too small.

Anyway, once the second pregnancy was over I knew that we were done having kids so I sold my whole bag of pregnancy clothes to a newly pregnant lady for 80 euro.   

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2019, 03:11:05 AM »
Ugh, I bought some other stuff and that was not the plan. No needs there, only 'would be nice and not that expensive'.
Going to sell some other stuff the coming weeks that I don't wear enough to make sure I don't have too much. I don't like it.

Back on track. I have enough.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2019, 07:01:19 AM »
Today I was at a sports shop to bring back a spike sole device that I use under my shoes in the winter. I had bought the wrong size.

When I was there, I went looking around for a new winter coat, as there is now sale. Sidn't find a coat, but I found some hiking trousers for sale for a good price. I tried on three pairs. One in size 40 that didn't fit at all. One in size 42. That fit, but looked strained where my legs start. One in 44 that was too wide in my middle, but better around my legs. A middle is easy to make narrower. But these trousers had zippers for airing holes on the thighs and they were sewn on the inside of the legs. That is a weird place. Presumably done so that they could make a proper map pockes on the side of the thigh. But the inside of the legs is the place that first wears through. I ended up being so in doubt that I didn't buy any of them. Problem solved.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2019, 07:06:48 AM »
I bought some sweatpants and a hoodie that were on sale. About 40% off. But... I didn't really need them. The stuff i have works fine,  but it was from a favorite outfitter of mine and I couldn't resist. Mental note. No shopping on my phone after a couple glasses of wine!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2019, 03:21:01 PM »
I still havent bought anything this year but those shoes I need/want are going to have to come pretty damn soon. I am alternating two pair for walking and my feet are really hurting :-( .

Gail2000

• Stubble
« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2019, 01:49:18 AM »
I still havent bought anything this year but those shoes I need/want are going to have to come pretty damn soon. I am alternating two pair for walking and my feet are really hurting :-( .

I think that falls under clothes you really need. No need to suffer. My husband is putting it off for the sake of depravity ( is he a Stioic? Maybe).

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2019, 04:11:15 AM »
I just noticed that my favorite rain coat is wearing through at the sleeves.  The rest of it is still good.  I guess there is no way to repair worn out fabric, especially as it's a rather unique print.  I wear it to work.  Bummer.

LeftFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: April 11, 2019, 08:24:07 AM »
I'm in!

So far I've spent:

£5.70 on two polo shirts in a charity shop. I wouldn't say I needed them, except that I didn't have anything light I could wear to work for the summer.

£30 on a pair of trainers. Probably did need these but I wear through trainers way too quickly. Any tips on shoe maintenance??

Also, those trainers aren't suitable for long walks and I like long walks. So I think my decision is to spend nothing on clothes for the rest of the year except for walking shoes if I see any in a charity shop.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2019, 02:04:36 PM »
I was not going to join this challenge - AT ALL! :)
I enjoy wearing pretty clothes, fashion and design, not to mention color and a bit of sparkle:) on occasion.

However, the reason I decided to join this challenge is simply that it is time to clear out the closet. I am challenging myself not just to de-clutter, but get a bit radical in the process this year.
I may be left with a half-empty closet and a very short list of new things, incl. a pair of sandals, one pair of flip-flops (I'm a shoe murderer), three tops and one bottom, plus one dress and two PJ bottoms (I have none left-the last one just gave up the ghost:).

I may have a couple of tops altered to fit better instead of purchasing new since I only acquired them new last year. Hopefully, that will save me some money in the process and decrease my need from three new tops to just one.
I still have a couple of gift cards so that should help keep expenses down as well.

FWIW I've bought nothing in 2019 so far.
My goal is to keep spending to around $200 total, given that the flip flops alone are $45 - yeah, well, old ladies need good footwear:), but I'm hoping to find a nice pair of sandals at the discount store for around $25.

If I only need one new top - then hopefully that will cost me nothing (gc). The alteration of two tops should be no more than $30.
PJ bottoms I am hoping to find at the store where I have a store credit - so "FREE".
A pair of shorts or a skirt and a dress - that depends entirely upon what I find.

For fall-winter, all I need is a nice jacket and a new top, although strictly speaking a new fall top is really more of a want, but I do so enjoy buying something new for the new season. Always an uplifting experience for me:).
I'll keep an eye out at the thrift store for a jacket, but no need to buy yet unless I find a good deal.

Well, I hope this still fits within the boundaries of this challenge - if not feel free to throw me out.
I'll report back in once I am done de-cluttering and actually made some purchases.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2019, 02:10:08 PM »
On Tuesday I had to look very decent. I managed to find appropriate clothes and shoes that I already owned.
By trying out different clothes, I found 2 items that could be thrown away. One is a very old dress that doesn't fit anymore. The other thing an oversized black see through blouse in eighties style.

This reminds me that I have another dress that I bought to attend my brother's wedding. It is very small and I don't have that body anymore. Therefore I can give that away as well.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 06:58:28 AM by Linea_Norway »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2019, 07:01:47 AM »
Last week, I bought a new winter coat, with 50% reduction. As mentioned, my old coat is still functional, but I have warn it for so many years, that I want something else.

I bought it at the sports shop, as those coats have good quality zippers. Coats from lady's clothing shops have zippers that uasually break within the season. My new coat is water resistant, has a nice high collar and a good hood. It is longer than my previous coat. Let's see how I'm going to like that.

Korrywow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2019, 12:34:15 PM »
I went through a rag pile last week and, wait a minute!!, ... found 2 t-shirts that were still wearable. The big trick/challenge is to dress on an absolute minimum budget without looking fashion challenged or like a street person/ lunatic.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2019, 03:49:04 AM »
Well i broke down and FINALLY ordered my shoes on Amazon yesterday. Not sure if its considered a real purchase though in that yes it cost me but it was free money from CC churning points. It felt like spending so I will count it as such. My first official "Clothes purchase" of 2019 in the books.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2019, 05:45:21 AM »
Checking in.  Nothing bought this year so far. 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2019, 03:14:36 PM »
I bought a ten pack of much needed socks to go with those new shoes I got for free kinda

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: May 03, 2019, 03:45:47 PM »
After a successful thread in 2018, we need a new clothes-thread in 2019. Don't buy clothes that you don't need!

I only intend to buy clothes to replace some garment that is worn through. I will not fall for the temptation to buy extra unnecessary clothes when I spot them in a shop. Also, I only intend to buy replacement clothes on sale.

I'm gradually approaching  the point at which I'm exerting sufficient self-discipline to stop buying clothes I don't need.

I only wear about 2% of all the clothes I have.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2019, 03:47:38 PM »
I'm in. It will be interesting to see whether a second year of tracking will be different from the first.   Boots/shoes may be an issue this year.

I've got too many boots (>12 pairs).

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2019, 04:01:05 PM »
I'm in!  Thanks for the thread @Linda_Norway!

Known needs in 2019:  one pair of casual, every day shoes, and maybe 6 pair of underwear.   Possibly a pair of gardening/farm work pants.  My current farm-work jeans are getting pretty ragged.   

For only ~$12.00 I bought 10 pairs of military surplus pants that were issued to Swiss officers.

They are very well made and in like-new condition.

They've been my go-to work  pants.

They show little wear and tear (not that I care) after >1 year of hard duty.

I call my work pants "garbage pants."

I won't ever wear them in public.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2019, 11:01:06 AM »
My daily purse is starting to fall apart. I have other purses that I like for certain occasions, but this one is neutral enough to go with every outfit and a good size for what I carry around regularly. The outer layer of fabric is starting to discolor and peel off due to extensive use. This is admittedly mostly a cosmetic issue, but I don't enjoy using it when it looks this beat up and also I take it to work. I don't think it's something that can be fixed, at least in a way that looks nice, or I'd go that route.

I've been keeping my eye out for a replacement, but haven't found one I love yet. Meanwhile, this one is still functional, so I can afford to be patient.

Today I saw that Kate Spade is doing a big surprise sale. There is one purse that catches my eye for 65% off, and I'd get 15% cash back on the price paid through ebates. I was sorely tempted until I actually looked at the details. There are a few things that make it not quite right for the way I would use it. Mainly, it's a little too small. It may be 65% off, but that's still a lot of money when it's a Kate Spade purse. So I'm going to pass. I'm sure I can find something that meets my needs more closely for less money.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2019, 05:03:05 AM »
I'm in!  Thanks for the thread @Linda_Norway!

Known needs in 2019:  one pair of casual, every day shoes, and maybe 6 pair of underwear.   Possibly a pair of gardening/farm work pants.  My current farm-work jeans are getting pretty ragged.   

For only ~$12.00 I bought 10 pairs of military surplus pants that were issued to Swiss officers.

They are very well made and in like-new condition.

They've been my go-to work  pants.

They show little wear and tear (not that I care) after >1 year of hard duty.

I call my work pants "garbage pants."

I won't ever wear them in public.

Nice score on the work pants @John Galt incarnate!  I think once the challenge is over I'll take your tip and check out military surplus for a pair of pants.  We also have a "farm surplus" type store that carries pants.  For this year decided to use up my current work pants (old jeans) and also a pair of old yoga-type workout pants.  Not ideal, but they cover me up, and no one sees them anyway. 

I changed my goals since my first post above.  I am now trying to make it all year buying nothing.  I made it through 2018 buying no clothes or shoes, so making it two years is an aggressive goal.  Especially aggressive since I don't have a lot of clothes.  I can make it on the pants.  I can make it on the underwear.  Shoes is another story.  I only have one pair of casual shoes, 11 years old, and I just had them repaired.  So far the new stitching is holding up, but we'll see if they can make it to the end of the year!  If the repair rips out, I'll cave in and buy shoes.  I hate wet feet.

Korrywow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2019, 07:42:44 AM »
l have a bomber style, down filled winter jacket (Eddie Bauer, purchased in 1980) that l still wear indoors (65 F) and 2 very simply designed leather jackets, purchased in Bs. As. for $100 each (1998ish), that will last forever (what a braggy pants!).
More pants. The military option is a great idea. Also, due to population demographics, the thrift stores where l am have truckloads of pants...but it does take time / patience to sort through them all

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2019, 10:09:44 AM »
I really feel that MMM has gotten me out of the habit of buying clothes.  Honestly, I have enough clothes to keep me going for quite a long time due to my previous clothes buying habit.  If I had fewer clothes, I'd probably need to buy replacements more often.  But currently I have tons of work clothes especially as the prospect of FIRE is motivating me to just wear out the ones I have.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2019, 10:19:46 AM »
Ugh, I was just onling purchasing clothes from ThredUp, but I am going to a formal graduation ceremony and wanted suits / suit separates.  I'm getting designer blazers for $25 - $50 and skirts for under $20.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2019, 10:22:29 AM »
I changed my goals since my first post above.  I am now trying to make it all year buying nothing.  I made it through 2018 buying no clothes or shoes, so making it two years is an aggressive goal.  Especially aggressive since I don't have a lot of clothes.  I can make it on the pants.  I can make it on the underwear.  Shoes is another story.  I only have one pair of casual shoes, 11 years old, and I just had them repaired.  So far the new stitching is holding up, but we'll see if they can make it to the end of the year!  If the repair rips out, I'll cave in and buy shoes.  I hate wet feet.

I bet I could do this, or come close, for the remainder of the year.  I love these kinds of challenges. I have been getting sloppy with clothes buying lately. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2019, 12:29:40 PM »
I really feel that MMM has gotten me out of the habit of buying clothes.  Honestly, I have enough clothes to keep me going for quite a long time due to my previous clothes buying habit.  If I had fewer clothes, I'd probably need to buy replacements more often.  But currently I have tons of work clothes especially as the prospect of FIRE is motivating me to just wear out the ones I have.

I have always disliked visiting shopping senters for clothes. But I do like internet shopping. Only there I need to return most clothes because the don't fit or live up to expectations.
I buy very few clothes now. But my DH has taken up sewing as a hobby and he occasionally wants to sew my clothes. I don't stop him, but try to let him make stuff that I will wear. Currently wearing a hiking trousers that he sewed.

This year I purchased only some replacement items and all on sale. One of my bras is getting sloppy. It was already discoloured. I get I'll need to replace that too some time soonish.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2019, 05:37:11 AM »
Checking in.  Nothing bought this year so far.  Or last year.

daffodil2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2019, 06:50:58 AM »
I failed at my planned clothes buying ban for 2019. I’ve been running more and decided it was time to buy some athletic tank tops instead of running in cotton t shirts. I found two at a thrift store, and also came home with some dresses I didn’t need. I think I just need to not go into thrift stores. It’s easy for me to pass on clothes in retail stores, but at thrift store prices the temptation is a lot stronger.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2019, 07:19:53 AM »
As my DH sews for a hobby, he is now making me a shirt. He won the pattern (in an Instagram sewing photo competition) and got the cloth for a reduced price. So it's almost for free, and it was not my initiative.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2019, 07:45:09 AM »
I am doing ok - and have really cut back on the clothes purchases.  For my kids - they are growing like weeds at the moment and are destroying their clothes with heavy use.  I like that they are getting dirty playing sports and doing stuff that is super hard on clothes.  Hubs and I are building a rockery and are also destroying our work clothes.  I am on my second set of gloves and they are starting to fall apart too. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #147 on: June 09, 2019, 04:25:38 AM »
My absolutely-no-clothes-buying streak has come to an end.  I made it 18 months total.  I got a good deal on some shoes to replace my beloved 11 year old pair.  Hope the new ones last as long!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2019, 04:42:59 AM »
My absolutely-no-clothes-buying streak has come to an end.  I made it 18 months total.  I got a good deal on some shoes to replace my beloved 11 year old pair.  Hope the new ones last as long!

18 months was really well done.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2019, 05:10:48 AM »

18 months was really well done.

Thanks @Linea_Norway!  But if I can do it, anyone can.  I don't have that many clothes.  I think we're all in possession of way more than we need.  :)