Author Topic: One Month, One Habit  (Read 22191 times)

smilla

• Stubble
Re: One Month, One Habit
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2015, 11:36:54 AM »

My resolve for November is no screen time before 9am or after 9pm (except Friday &/or Saturday evenings) and at work: no personal internet use before 11am or after 4:30pm.  This should increase my daily productivity, my hours of sleep, my energy levels and all that should improve my mood and my mustache. 

What strategies have worked for this one?? I think I'd have to lock the laptop/iPad away!

hmmm ... maybe you can put your internet router at home on a timer, so it's only on between 9 and 9?

Absolutely, that's what I do - a timer is maybe $10 or $12 and very helpful.  There is also leechblock which I use at work.  Obviously these can be overridden but they serve as a reminder of the habits I want to develop.  The most hardcore I've done was to cancel my internet for awhile.  I used to be able to go a couple of months without having it at home but the last time I did it I barely lasted 2 weeks.  (I still had data through my phone & tablet for necessities - just not for aimless browsing or netflix and such.)   
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:37:36 PM by smilla »

smilla

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2015, 05:19:54 PM »
Well after reading the thread about the Via Negativa, I did decide to go all out and cancel home internet again (saving $75/month!).  I hope to keep it up for 6 months but will go at least to the end of Lent/Easter.  I still have my phone & tablet for email and other necessities (like MMM) and I go to my parents' for dinner once a week so I can bring my laptop then to update & download.

When I said I wanted to cancel my internet the guy asked what I would do for entertainment.  I expect he wanted me to trade internet for cable but I told him I would read.  And write and do the NYT crossword and work-out and spring clean and cook and sleep and shovel the driveway and make potions and practice the piano or fiddle and all the things I put off when I get sucked into the Vortex of Time/Energy/Soul-Sucking Leeches that is (much of) the internet, present company/site excepted :)

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2015, 08:25:39 PM »
I like this idea! For the last couple of days I've been eating fermented foods twice a day. I'm not really one to buy into food trends generally but my gastroenterologist said it might help, and I've lazily done it for a couple of days here and there in the past without really committing. Recently though I have been eating kimchi in the morning (bought from a natural food store here, so it's still living) and greek yogurt every night (with some blueberries, yum!), and it pretty quickly started, uh, "helping me out", so to speak.

So my goal for January is to eat fermented food twice a day for better digestion, which leads to better sleep and more energy and increased focus and mind-reading and all the rest of the crazy benefits I read about online.

smilla

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2015, 11:57:16 AM »
I could stand to increase my mind-reading skillz.  How much kimchi/yogurt does it take per serving, Ascotillion?

(I've got you added.) 

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2015, 12:38:07 PM »
Glad I saw this thread.  I am working on bringing my lunch to work this month.  So far, 100% success.  Yea!  Feeling so mustachian!

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2015, 03:21:19 PM »
I could stand to increase my mind-reading skillz.  How much kimchi/yogurt does it take per serving, Ascotillion?
My yogurt is a few spoonfuls in a little ramekin before bed, and the kimchi is just a forkful before breakfast. As far as I understand it, regularly taking a small amount is better than gulping a large amount once a week. Probiotics are meant to be pretty temporary, so you've gotta keep putting more in. I can heartily recommend it for anybody with digestive troubles!

smilla

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2015, 12:32:38 PM »
Ready2Go you are added, welcome!

Ascotillion, that sounds doable, thanks for the info.

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2015, 03:55:57 PM »
Although, looking back, it's not just that stuff. I'm also focusing on my quality of sleep and attempting to de-stress as much as I can. These issues are generally really sensitive to mental states.

Now back to your regular, non-poop-related discussion!

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2015, 01:18:58 PM »
I've been thinking about a goal per month as well, so I'm in!  Too often I try to do too much at once which usually has a predictable outcome. Though I am working on other things they are more flexible.

January is giving up coffee. Haven't had any so far, one of the only side benefits of kicking the new year off with the flu was that my cravings decrease greatly when sick.

I love coffee, and even weaned myself off cream/sugar last year. But I love it too much, I can't just have one cup in the morning. I definitely have an addictive personality with treats and sometimes have to go to the opposite end of the spectrum to get control. This is also why I try not to buy Oreos :-).

Plus my office has a Starbucks in the building!!!  I spent an embarrassing amount of money there last year. But no longer.  Now they give me hot water for free and I bring my tea bag from home.

I'm debating on my February habit. Current ideas are no processed sugar or no snooze button. Both would be very challenging, even more so than no coffee.

smilla

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2015, 01:54:26 PM »
What the crap, I thought we were discussing mind-reading Ascotillion :)  BTW are you more into horse-races or historical dances... or is it hats?

SCUBAstache, going cold turkey is often my best hope for getting control too.  You have been added.

I hope everyone else is moving ahead with their January habits.  If not, you've got a whole 2 weeks left to get a handle on it so don't give up!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:25:50 PM by smilla »

GingerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2015, 07:41:39 AM »
I saw this thread just before the new year. Considered posting my habit, and then forgot about it. BUT I picked up and have stuck with the habit so far. And so now I have resolved to join you...

In January I've resolved to get up every workday and do 2 exercises. They're either something like push-ups/abs or some dumbbell work. It has been a huge boost for me and I actually SAVE time in the morning because I move faster in getting ready after I put in 10-15 minutes to get this in. It has worked quite well so far and I've only got 7 workdays left in Jan to stick with it, but I actually intend to keep going indefinitely. Even if I have a cold or something I'll do some kind of stretching/yoga. Whatever gets the blood pumping.

For February, I'd like to do something savings related, but am not sure what yet. I could do with cutting down on eating lunch out at work, I guess. I am also staring at a Starbucks coffee I bought this morning, but it's like the second I've gotten this month so that feels too easy. I'm going to try to think of something else, but my default for now is "Don't eat out for lunch during the week in February."

Thanks for starting and sticking with this challenge! You've all inspired me and it feels great to join in!

smilla

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2015, 12:29:09 PM »
You are added, GingerStache.  That sounds like a great habit to have.

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2015, 02:25:52 PM »
One week left to go in January for our new habits. Hope everyone is still hanging in.   My goal:  bring lunch to work every day, so 5 more days to eat lunch at work.  I think this will be the hardest week for me.   The initial enthusiasm is gone and now I just see leftovers stretching out before me.   The good thing is,  in only 3 weeks, there are no longer any co-work expectations of going out to lunch.  I have become part of the bring-your-lunch group.   

I was hoping to start a new habit next month, but might need some extra practice on this one!

smilla

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2015, 12:32:13 PM »
Ready2Go, changing expectations should make it easier for sure but why not also throw in a few non-leftover lunches in?  Maybe a favourite sandwich or wrap, homemade of course.  Or if you have a fridge, a big salad with cheese & meat to put over, dressing on the side so it doesn't wilt.  I'm lucky that we have a small kitchen in my office and I can bring ingredients for the week and toss a salad or make a grilled ham & cheese or scrambled eggs fresh.

I still didn't manage to develop or maintain a morning routine which I'm blaming on the cold, dark days of winter but I am cutting it from my habits for now.  I'll try again in April when it is daylight at 6am.  Screen-time has been reduced significantly since I cancelled internet, although I haven't really kept to the set schedule, so I am calling it good enough.

For February, I will continue with lights out by 11pm Sun-Thurs and I will add that I aim to double my average "productive hours" (i.e. uninterrupted, focused effort) from December/January averages.  This means getting in a good 3.5 to 4 hours per day in February.  I already started this week actually managing about 6 hours a day but I'm not sure that will be sustainable: I'm so wired by the time I get home it takes me hours to wind down.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:40:30 PM by smilla »

GingerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2015, 12:53:29 PM »
I am not a smoker and I consider my consumption of alcoholic beverages to be healthy. However, I have one great vice. The infernal drug known as caffeine.

I track this back to my days playing video games as an 11-year old and slamming down Mountain Dews at an obscene rate (that my parents somehow bought for me...not deflecting the blame but just thought about this). I get the occasional coffee, but I really have a soda problem. We have a fridge at work that is fully stocked with Cokes. On 12/5/14 I wrote the date on a can and crushed it. Left it at my desk. I haven't had a work coke since. Managed to stick to that and I'm proud of it. Still...I'll occasionally grab them on the train home and at meals. And on the weekend? Forget about it.

In February, I will not consume a caffeinated beverage. No coffee. No tea. And absolutely no soda/soft drink/pop/coke/fizzamajig/what-have-you.

It has been said and it will be done.

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2015, 04:11:39 PM »
Ready2Go, changing expectations should make it easier for sure but why not also throw in a few non-leftover lunches in? 

I made a big change to make this habit even easier.  Next month I go to part-time status and my big incentive is going to be get in early and out for lunch at home. I am now 1/2 RE!  And I can definitely say that the focus on eliminating wasteful spending was a big part of how I got to this place.  Now I can have leftovers or a freshly made salad.

So now I am ready for the next habit:  get some type of exercise.  every. single. day.   No excuses with only 1/2 time work.

smilla

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2015, 04:25:22 PM »
Wow GingerStache, hardcore!  Make sure you drink lots of water especially during the first few withdrawal days. 

Ready2Go congratulations on your semi-RE!   

You're both added.

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2015, 06:58:31 PM »
So now I am ready for the next habit:  get some type of exercise.  every. single. day.   No excuses with only 1/2 time work.

30 Minutes ago I realized that its Feb 1 and I am about to miss my first day of exercise.  I have been reading and surfing on-line all day and just barely moving...  pull on extra sweater, parka, hat, gloves, scarves - I am a complete cold weather wuss - and head out in the dark.   Did a good walk and accomplished the first day of the challenge.   This is going to be tough!

smilla

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2015, 05:31:17 PM »
I still didn't manage to develop or maintain a morning routine which I'm blaming on the cold, dark days of winter but I am cutting it from my habits for now.  I'll try again in April when it is daylight at 6am.  Screen-time has been reduced significantly since I cancelled internet, although I haven't really kept to the set schedule, so I am calling it good enough.

For February, I will continue with lights out by 11pm Sun-Thurs and I will add that I aim to double my average "productive hours" (i.e. uninterrupted, focused effort) from December/January averages.  This means getting in a good 3.5 to 4 hours per day in February.  I already started this week actually managing about 6 hours a day but I'm not sure that will be sustainable: I'm so wired by the time I get home it takes me hours to wind down.

I started well, then sort of went off the rails for a bit but have now got a very productive routine going - yay!  I have also been reducing assorted time-leeches significantly for Lent which is very helpful. 

As long as I maintain my progress this last week, I plan to make a daily 15 minute micro workout my habit in March.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:28:02 PM by smilla »

GingerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2015, 08:10:14 AM »

In February, I will not consume a caffeinated beverage. No coffee. No tea. And absolutely no soda/soft drink/pop/coke/fizzamajig/what-have-you.

It has been said and it will be done.

This happened. Feel pretty great about it. I had 1 Coke yesterday. And I've had a coffee this morning...but it isn't some huge relief or anything. I think I'm going to cut back from previous levels thanks to the challenge. Definitely saved some money and calories.

I think for March my goal is to go for a run every weekend. This seems like a light touch, but I can't think of anything else that I really want to do and I truly don't have the time during the week (>1 hour train commute and pretty long hours).

I missed Sunday, so I will do it the first weekend in April as well.

Best of luck with your habits! This thread is really helping me test out some changes. And I don't think I'd have done them without the 1 month format.

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2015, 03:55:20 PM »

30 Minutes ago I realized that its Feb 1 and I am about to miss my first day of exercise.  I have been reading and surfing on-line all day and just barely moving...  pull on extra sweater, parka, hat, gloves, scarves - I am a complete cold weather wuss - and head out in the dark.   Did a good walk and accomplished the first day of the challenge.   This is going to be tough!

Sigh.   Its march and I am late reporting in because I think Feb 1 was the only day I managed to exercise!!  To the good,  I have managed to keep with my Jan goal of taking my lunch to work.  That's become pretty easy with part-time work, because I just eat at my desk so I don't waste any of my precious time.   

So for March,  I am going to do a repeat on exercise.  Every single day.  Today we have 8" of new snow,  but the kids & I did stairs as our exercise for the morning so at least I have in my 1 day for the month. LOL

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2015, 09:57:29 AM »
A co-worker convinced me to sign up for a 5k on April 16. I have never run 3 miles in my life. Not even 2. So my goal this month is to go running at least 3 days/week.

I'm off to a good start. Ran 1.2 miles on Wednesday and 1.5 miles this morning. I'm averaging 8:30 per mile. Not bad I think, since I literally have not run a mile since 9th grade when I played baseball. Jeez, I just realized that was 16 freaking years ago. I've been biking 4 miles to work every morning since October, so I think that has improved my stamina. Otherwise, I don't think I would have made it a mile without collapsing.

I remember that my 1 mile time in 9th grade was 7:26 (no clue why I can remember this), so that will be my other goal for the month: To beat my 9th grade mile-run mark. Now let's see if I remember to report back.

queenie

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2015, 10:15:08 AM »
I just saw this thread. So I am going to make a March goal of getting to bed (lights out and electronics off) by 10 pm every night for the rest of this month.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2015, 01:20:01 PM »
A co-worker convinced me to sign up for a 5k on April 16. I have never run 3 miles in my life. Not even 2. So my goal this month is to go running at least 3 days/week.

I'm off to a good start. Ran 1.2 miles on Wednesday and 1.5 miles this morning. I'm averaging 8:30 per mile. Not bad I think, since I literally have not run a mile since 9th grade when I played baseball. Jeez, I just realized that was 16 freaking years ago. I've been biking 4 miles to work every morning since October, so I think that has improved my stamina. Otherwise, I don't think I would have made it a mile without collapsing.

I remember that my 1 mile time in 9th grade was 7:26 (no clue why I can remember this), so that will be my other goal for the month: To beat my 9th grade mile-run mark. Now let's see if I remember to report back.

I plan to update this every day that I run. I'm hoping that putting this on the interwebs will in some way help keep me accountable, and it seems less like "Look at me! I work out!" to post it here, rather than on Facebook. Anyway, here goes-

Day: Tuesday, March 10
Distance: 1.9 miles
Time: 14:57

smilla

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2015, 06:03:47 PM »
Best of luck with your habits! This thread is really helping me test out some changes. And I don't think I'd have done them without the 1 month format.

That's great!  I find it much easier to concentrate on one thing at a time which is why the one month, one habit works for me.

I started well, then sort of went off the rails for a bit but have now got a very productive routine going - yay!  I have also been reducing assorted time-leeches significantly for Lent which is very helpful. 

As long as I maintain my progress this last week, I plan to make a daily 15 minute micro workout my habit in March.

I ended February very well and am averaging 4+ hours of focused, uninterrupted work every day which makes me very happy!  I will be continuing with that and also with time-leech reduction which I'm doing pretty well overall with. 

I forgot that I was going to make daily micro workouts my thing for March and I have been away (which is why I haven't updated the list for March, sorry), but I will get right on that.  There is still half a month left after all.

GingerStache, Ready2Go, Mississippi Mudstache & Queenie, I will add you right away. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 06:05:37 PM by smilla »

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2015, 07:30:36 AM »

I plan to update this every day that I run. I'm hoping that putting this on the interwebs will in some way help keep me accountable, and it seems less like "Look at me! I work out!" to post it here, rather than on Facebook. Anyway, here goes-

Day: Thursday, March 12
Distance: 2.4 miles
Time: 19:25

GingerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2015, 03:17:53 PM »
Awesome stuff, Mississippi Mudstache! I'm also running this month, but have the very modest goal of doing so once a weekend. So far, so good. Mapped my usual run at 2.4 miles, but haven't been timing it. I think I want to keep this up, start timing, and then do a 5k sometime this summer. Not really far from it.

Now that the weather is turning around I'm really loving the runs and think I'll keep this habit up for a while.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2015, 07:19:13 PM »

Day: Saturday, March 14
Distance: 2.7 miles
Time: 22:34

Day: Monday, March 16
Distance: 3.1 miles
Time: 25:09

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
Awesome stuff, Mississippi Mudstache! I'm also running this month, but have the very modest goal of doing so once a weekend. So far, so good. Mapped my usual run at 2.4 miles, but haven't been timing it. I think I want to keep this up, start timing, and then do a 5k sometime this summer. Not really far from it.

Now that the weather is turning around I'm really loving the runs and think I'll keep this habit up for a while.

That's great, Ginger! 2.4 miles makes an easy segue to a 5k. I like to time myself, because I'm pretty competitive and it helps me push harder, even if I'm just competing against myself. But after only 2 weeks of running, I've about decided that the psychological benefits of running are motivation enough. I can't believe it took me 31 years to start.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2015, 06:10:38 PM »

Day: Thursday, March 19
Time: 25:40

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2015, 07:49:16 PM »

Day: Thursday, March 19
Time: 25:40

Day: Saturday, March 21
Time: 26:00

Dammit. Why am I getting slower? I may back off and work on sprinting a mile next week.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2015, 05:29:01 PM »

Well, I destroyed my 9th grade personal mile record today.

Date: Monday, March 23
Distance: 1 mile
Time: 7:02

Whoot! Now to see if I can get it under 7:00

smilla

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2015, 08:29:45 PM »
I think you're doing great MM! You're rocking the habit. That's the first thing.

Me not so much... Got to double down.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2015, 08:26:03 PM »
Thanks, smilla. I took it easy last week with a few mile runs and no running at all over the weekend. Apparently the rest helped, because I crushed my 5k tonight.

Date: Monday, March 30
Time: 23:07

Not bad for a guy who hadn't run a mile in 15 years less than a month ago :)

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2015, 08:35:54 PM »
Date: Wednesday, April 1

So I just ran a 5k keeping a 7 minute 16 second pace - I think it's safe to say I'm in the best shape of my life. Since I've completed the one month, one habit gauntlet, I think I'll stop dominating the conversation will frequent reports. I will post my time in the actual 5k on April 16, though.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!