Author Topic: One (small) good deed a day in 2021  (Read 13183 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: One (small) good deed a day in 2018
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2018, 08:16:40 PM »
I've been MIA with a crazy few weeks, but was so happy to see that people are still posting & doing good deeds. Here's mine:

-Offered to help a friend with childcare, so she & her husband could run a half marathon together
-Took my mom on a long weekend. She's been pretty stressed out over a death in the family/selling a house, being the executor of the estate. We had a nice long weekend & I did a lot of listening :-)
-Helped two people with work promotion stuff. Spent about 6 hours of my own time providing feedback & input on the documentation they have to put together. I do this all the time for my own team & managers, so it's something I have a lot of experience doing, & was happy to help

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2018, 05:52:59 AM »
I have been picking up garbage when on my walks.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2018, 12:06:36 PM »
I treated a broke friend to a nice day out in NYC. We had some great talks and she seemed happier when I dropped her off than when I picked her up. :-)

I have a friend who's been through some very tough times (emotionally) lately; without being overbearing, I've been trying to find events she would especially enjoy, and invite a couple people I know she really connects with, so she can spend time with people who will support her without having to take the initiative of reaching out to people when she's feeling so low.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2018, 10:37:31 PM »
There's another good deed thread somewhere around this forum but I lost it.  On it I posted that I helped set up a blind date.  Good news, there will be a second date and I was thanked for the introduction!!  Unfortunately this is all we will hear about this for now because at this point I need to butt out and give them space.

Oh good ones @Poundwise ! Helping people find love *potentially*, and sharing food & toiletries with so many people is INSPIRING!

I cooked some meals for family members and picked garbage up while out on a nature walk.
Will also reach out to a friend who is needing some support.

I hear that date #3 is planned!  Well,  I think at this point, even if there are no sparks, the pair are enjoying each other's company.  And, I'm happy to simply help new friends connect, so my job is done.

Good work on feeding loved ones, and beautifying the earth, @Serendip!

So what have I done lately? Hmm. I donated money and have done a fair amount of volunteer work for the church, which will indirectly lead to good works but also benefits me, so that doesn't quite count.  I also donated to an impoverished church in the Bronx... that's more altruistic. But I was kind of guilted into doing it. Gave canned goods to food bank, hmm hm.. nothing that is good in a new way, I think.

Oh, I did cook dinner for a friend who has had her 5th child!  She's usually a very upbeat and capable woman, but I think that she finally got overwhelmed, and appreciated not having to worry about dinner for once.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:39:36 PM by Poundwise »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2018, 10:58:54 PM »
Thanks for bumping the thread, the last week+ was kind of crisis mode for me and I have been pretty focused on myself and my problems. I think the best I can offer for last week is that I did not completely lose my shit with any of the people who deserved it. ;-)

My good deed for today is that I took a moment out of an extremely aggravating day to tell a slight acquaintance something just because I knew would make him feel good about himself. I honestly don't even like him very much, but I figure if you can make someone happy with 15 words, why not?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2018, 10:10:29 AM »
ha, good work @Dollar Slice!
& @Poundwise , I think that's great that they are enjoying each others company :)

I have continued -picking up garbage on walks
-will be covering a shift at work for someone
-will be writing a snail-mail letter to a friend who requested one
-bought groceries for my SO since I knew he would be happy to arrive home to beer, cheese & baguette

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2018, 01:56:35 PM »
I volunteered to help at a school event, and also signed up for an unpopular (but, important) voluntary work committee.

I'm going to challenge myself to make a donation over the next few weeks with "found" money. (Money that I'm not expecting, not from standard paycheck sources.)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2018, 02:37:32 PM »
I have continued trying to be especially nice to my unemployed/broke friend and my depressed/grieving friend.

Picked up some trash on a walk in the park today (and refrained from giving a dirty look to the parents of the kid who dropped it).

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2018, 10:07:36 AM »
I saw someone drop some money and made sure they got it back.

I haven't been doing terribly well with this challenge lately :-/  But I thought of it last night, I went to a talk/discussion thingy put on by PEN America and there was some discussion that resonated with me and made me think of this challenge. One comment from someone who said after being in prison it made them want to help people who had less than them (less money, less power, less privilege etc.) because it gave them a window into what that's really like. And another comment about how the "first, do no harm" oath should apply to way more professions besides medical care. I really liked that. Withholding harm is sort of one step down from active good deeds, but I think it comes from the same place.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2018, 07:49:48 AM »
I've been terrible about keeping this up to date, but. . . jumping back in! I'm volunteering twice today for a school activity.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2018, 08:09:30 AM »
I've been doing a lot of volunteer work for school, church and political action, on the order of doing things like bringing dishes to potlucks, donating flats of water to canvassers, etc. But not sure if these really count as good deeds.

I've also been making a lot of small donations. I donated to Florence Immigrant & Refugee Rights Project and the National Immigrant Justice Center because I was (am) so horrified that our government is grabbing the children of asylum seekers and these kids (including babies and toddlers) would be expected to defend themselves in court otherwise.

I also threw a little money to some GoFundMes to  help the poor folks in Guatemala.  https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/how-to-help-victims-of-guatemalas-fuego-volcano

I put this as small good deeds because I didn't give much to each, about $20-$50 while I consider making room in my budget for a bigger donation.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2018, 11:54:46 AM »
I've been doing a lot of volunteer work for school, church and political action, on the order of doing things like bringing dishes to potlucks, donating flats of water to canvassers, etc. But not sure if these really count as good deeds.

I've also been making a lot of small donations. I donated to Florence Immigrant & Refugee Rights Project and the National Immigrant Justice Center because I was (am) so horrified that our government is grabbing the children of asylum seekers and these kids (including babies and toddlers) would be expected to defend themselves in court otherwise.

I also threw a little money to some GoFundMes to  help the poor folks in Guatemala.  https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/how-to-help-victims-of-guatemalas-fuego-volcano

I put this as small good deeds because I didn't give much to each, about $20-$50 while I consider making room in my budget for a bigger donation.

These are definitely good deeds, and totally agree with you!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2018, 03:02:14 PM »
I wrote up a little list of suggestions/recommendations for a friend who is having a similar surgery to the one I had last year. And I offered to pick her up from the hospital and make sure she gets home safely since she doesn't have any family here (she said she had already asked someone else to do it, but I'm her backup plan if he can't do it).

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2018, 06:20:37 AM »
Well, it looks like the blind date went nowhere in the end. No chemistry after 3 dates. :~(

I have been helping out with separated families. Helped connect some detained parents who speak indigenous languages and no English or Spanish, with a translator who will help them in court; also donated to several bail funds to free imprisoned moms and dads; as well as support funds since once freed they are not allowed to work until their court dates.

There was a call for helpers in Orlando, Indianapolis, Dallas, LA, Baltimore, Miami, Chicago, Silver Spring, MD, Houston, Alexandria, VA, Portland, OR, Moline, IL... so I forwarded to a friend who lives 20 minutes from Silver Spring and hope she can network somebody.

Filled out an application form for a job training program for a refugee who speaks little English and is going to work for the first time to support her 4 children as her husband has cancer; if she gets in she will also receive a small stipend.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2018, 07:28:53 AM »
Thanks for posting @Poundwise - super inspiring & a good reminder for me.

From my end, I'm trying to help get my disabled aunt prepped for an eventual retirement. She is quite mentally delayed but doesn't "accept" that, so she puts off asking for help & then tends to make quite a disaster out of situations. It's difficult & as she ages, I'm concerned about getting her set up for the future.

I've also been doing a lot of mentoring at work, which I really enjoy.

I need to do a better job helping my elderly neighbor. The times haven't worked out well yet, but I need to make it a priority.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2018, 12:56:14 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache  Oy, the elderly!  Those are good deeds which take much and return little.
I've found it helps to research a couple of acceptable choices (whether eldercare facilities, or in home aides), then accustom your elderly relative to these two choices. She may fight them both tooth and nail at first. It may take a few years for her to get used to them as ideas. Then have her try them out a little (like a tour or even an overnight stay at a facility). She'll hate them.

After a reasonable amount of time, propose a new alternative that is still good but you think she will like much less than the first two.  Hopefully, she will recoil against the new idea and say she wants one of the first two options.

Do not expect her to come up with any good options on her own. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2018, 03:52:38 PM »
Bringing this back after a long hiatus. Here are a few recent things I've done:

-Volunteered at the kids book fair
-Found clothes to donate to Dress for Success - they are having a super convenient drop off location near me tomorrow
-Watched our elderly neighbor's dog, so she could go help out with a voter registration event in Fresno
-Signed up for training at work to host listening sessions. Super outside of my comfort zone, very needed at certain times & places. Sometimes, as a senior woman in tech, there are a lot of expectations that rub me the wrong way. I value & enjoy paying it forward, but don't want it to feel like an obligation, because there are so few of us, & I "need" to be the example. Anyway, a rant for another day. I did sign up to host a listening session on a topic surrounding that, and have been a resource for other women dealing with challenging situations.
-Sent a compliment to someone who did something incredibly brave

I miss this thread, & love to focus on the positives, vs the current extremely negative press cycles out there

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2018, 06:54:31 PM »
Bringing this back after a long hiatus.

Good bump! :-)

Today my neighbor's niece was moving out after staying with them temporarily while apartment-hunting. I held the elevator for her and offered to carry a box that she was slowly scooting down the hall with her feet because she didn't have enough hands for everything.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: One (small) good deed a day in 2020
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2020, 10:38:54 AM »
Dusting this off & relabeling it the 2020 thread. (If this thread already exists for 2020, please do let me know & I'll post there instead.)

With just under 100 days in the US before the next election, I'm finding myself very anxious & stressed. I'm going to focus on some good self care (have already removed Facebook from my phone). I also read about a 100 day random act of kindness challenge, which I'll join. 100 will be my goal, but will see where I net out.

So far:
-Took elderly neighbor's dog for a walk, as she was unable to get out yesterday
-Spent some time in the evening checking in on a colleague & did a coaching session for another

Today:
Planning to offer up fresh herbs to neighbors, as we don't currently have a kitchen (remodel) & they are largely wasted on us

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2020, 12:55:22 PM »
I printed out a mailing label for a neighbour and left it in her mail box.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2020, 01:29:05 PM »
I printed out a mailing label for a neighbour and left it in her mail box.

Awesome! I posted about my herbs on our local neighbor site (not Nextdoor, but a very small community) & had 12 takers in an hour or so. Herbs have been cut, sorted, labeled & are on the porch awaiting pickup. Thrilled people will be getting use out of everything. Win/win, and I don't have to feel guilty about the herbs lingering during the remodel

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: One (small) good deed a day in 2021
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2021, 10:58:25 AM »
I need this thread again, so bringing it back up. A few things lately:
-Picked up trash on my walks
-Shared apple crisp with a friend
-Helped another friend with a super early morning (6:30 on a Sunday) carpool, so she didn't have to get up early
-Gave away some items on Buy Nothing. it's great when you can fulfill an ask

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2021, 11:48:33 AM »
Nice to see this thread—fun to read through it, I don’t even remember most of the things I posted!
Will cultivate this idea for the remainder of the year in solidarity with you @MaybeBabyMustache
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 04:42:14 PM by Serendip »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2021, 12:06:09 PM »
Nice job MBM!

I've been waiting on my mom hand and foot since Wednesday (she had surgery and came home Tuesday night) so I'm banking a lot of days' worth of good deeds, I guess...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2021, 05:09:32 PM »
That is definitely a lot of good deeds, @Dollar Slice . I'm sure your mom appreciates your help very much.

-I've been volunteering at a non-profit, and helping them out with an app they are launching, that helps kids learn to read. It's been a lot of fun.
-I also signed up to mentor through a program that is helping Afghani women who are in transition (being relocated). Still waiting for details on that.
-Made a donation to a food bank

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2021, 05:10:13 PM »
Welcome, back @Serendip !

cannotWAIT

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2021, 05:43:41 PM »
Oooh, this is the first challenge that has really appealed to me. I assume it’s never to late to join! I feel like I don’t get many opportunities to do in-person good deeds these days but yesterday I was out walking my dog across the street from the Catholic church just before Mass and heard a cry of frustration—it was a man in a wheelchair at the handicap entrance unable to open the door and no one else was around. It would be impossible for anyone in a wheelchair to open that door! So stupid. Why is there not an automatic opener? Anyway I ran over there and opened it for him. Then I emailed the church to suggest that they set up some kind of system to ensure he can get in, either human or mechanical. It’s the first actual “good deed” (as opposed to just doing something nice that you normally do) that I’ve had occasion to do in quite some time!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2021, 05:51:03 PM »
@cannotWAIT - it's definitely never too late to join! And, love your good deed. I was on a run in my neighborhood last week, and saw an elderly neighbor struggle to pick up an overturned garbage bin, after pickup day. I came over to help her, & we had a nice chat.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2021, 10:49:13 PM »
A trans friend of mine was discarded by her family and left her job, and has been bouncing from couch to couch for a couple of years. She's now living in a far state, but I sent her a little money so she could treat herself, as she's been (understandably) depressed. I wish I could do more for her, but I've tried in the past and her mental health problems are too difficult to manage. 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2021, 04:46:13 PM »
That’s a really thoughtful one @Poundwise ..some self-care/treating of oneself often gets forgotten if someone is in a hard place but it’s such an important gesture.

Yesterday I helped some kids find a trailhead, and today reached out to a friend who posted something on social media that seemed existentially fraught. Will take some time tomorrow to craft her a letter/care-package. I feel like so many  are in need of more intimate connections these days.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 04:52:26 PM by Serendip »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2021, 08:26:52 PM »
What a thoughtful gesture, @Poundwise - sounds like a good way to help from afar.

Totally agree, on the need for more personal connections @Serendip

For today, I signed up to help out a friend when she's having surgery. And, put a small memorial back together at the soccer field my kids play at. One of the club players (a teenager) passed away, and there is a memorial outside the field with his picture, plants, a soccer ball, etc. We've had some tremendously windy & unusual weather lately, & it had knocked down the memorial.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2021, 12:38:21 AM »
I made rice pudding for my mom before leaving their house today. I don't particularly like it and I've never made it before, but it's one of her faves and something she strongly associates with comfort food you have when you're sick. A friend of hers came to visit, so while they were keeping her company I went down to the kitchen and riced it up. Hopefully my first attempt at making it was a good one... :-)  It smelled good, anyway.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2021, 08:15:36 AM »
@Dollar Slice - also not into rice pudding. I think it's the texture I don't like, and definitely reminds me of hospital food. Ick.

I chased down my elderly neighbor's dog, and figured out how to get her back home. I was running late, & not properly dressed for the adventure, but hey. Got the job done.

I also made applesauce, & shared some with the same neighbor. She lost her husband a few years back, so we like to check on her. I often send the kids over with food, and she loves to talk to them & they do a good job telling her about what's happening in their lives.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2021, 08:57:48 AM »
@Dollar Slice - also not into rice pudding. I think it's the texture I don't like, and definitely reminds me of hospital food. Ick.

I had forgotten all about it... she never mentioned if it was good or not, so now I will never know if my rice pudding is acceptable. ;-) 

My good deed: dropped everything and went back out to see Mom when she was having a hard time this weekend. Spent the day there yesterday. This time I made homemade pizza and chocolate chip cookies. :-)  Also helped her set up a meal delivery service so they will be eating a little healthier/easier/better while she's under the weather. Last time I suggested it she said they would just get take-out from restaurants. After a week of actually trying that, I guess having some healthier meals in the fridge ready to heat up sounded appealing.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2021, 03:59:15 AM »
I helped someone at work by sharing an email that she was looking for.  I didn’t know her name prior, but had seen her around looking a bit defeated. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2021, 07:36:57 AM »
Love reading these.

Yesterday, a friend reached out needing a ride for her son, due to handling a real crisis at the school she works at. It required quite a bit of juggling on my side, but I'm so happy it worked out & I could reduce her stress. On the flip side, another friend offered to take my son to an event on Thursday when we are at out of town. (My parents will be here, but we have two kids, and only one of my parents feels comfortable driving in our area.)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2021, 09:37:33 AM »
There is a book I’m re-reading by Piero Ferrucci called
The Power of Kindness: The Unexpected Benefits of Leading a Compassionate Life.
It fits nicely into this thread 😊

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2021, 10:10:52 AM »
@Serendip - thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out!

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2021, 05:22:40 PM »
On a walk that I enjoy doing, I regularly pass an elderly homeless man panhandling at a street corner, as I did this morning.  My good deed for today is that I gave him a $5 bill, as I often do once a week.  He does not appear to have a drug or alcohol addiction, so I feel confident the money will not be spent on those things.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2021, 08:44:30 AM »
Some simple things.. organized our townhouse recycling shed a bit (visitors tend to not organize into the correct bins), saw a man who regularly collects bottles so went inside to get our bottle box for him, asked someone’s name at work (the front desk reception often changes staff so it’s easy to just neglect to introduce yourself/remember a new name..working on being better at this and engaging with younger coworkers a bit more actively)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2021, 05:09:41 PM »
@Serendip Love how you are doing these small things that boost people or smooth their way in life!

@Beardog I'm sure that the gentleman appreciates the little bit of consistency that you give him... he must have so much uncertainty but he knows that a friendly face and regular $5 will come by.

Today I made lunch and baked birthday cupcakes for a young man with slight mental retardation... he has nobody in his life to do this for him.  I guess I've become the go-to birthday "mom" for a couple of low income young adults.  I feel a little uneasy in the role because my idea of parenting goes so much further than what I do for these kids... if they were luckier, they would find somebody without so many children or responsibilities who could really settle in, adopt them, and give them substantial help.  But they are so grateful for a little birthday and holiday attention, it's the least I could do. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2021, 07:50:32 AM »
@Poundwise - that is so thoughtful & what a great way to help them celebrate their day. I'm so happy that they have you.

It's really stormy in the bay area, and our neighbor had a tree blow down, taking down the power line & landing in her pool. We made her dinner last night, called her family, charged her cell phone, called the power company for her, and bought her a unit that allows you to charge your small electronics. When we dropped everything off, we realized that she was also missing a nice flashlight, so we brought over some battery powered lanterns for her.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2021, 08:42:04 AM »
@MaybeBabyMustache —that storm is quite something isn’t it? We have power but there are huge outages nearby.. your neighbour must’ve appreciated that help!

Found $5 on the ground, so I waited to see who I could give it to—tucked it into the tip jar at a local cafe.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2021, 10:27:00 AM »
@Serendip - it was definitely a storm. I grew up near Seattle, so it felt like a taste of the pacific northwest. :-)

-I made a donation to a fundraiser started to honor my coworker, who lost her infant daughter a week ago.
-Brought my neighbor (without power) dinner again last night
-Cleaned storm drains in my neighborhood, to help prevent flooding

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2021, 07:32:13 AM »
I’ve been picking up candy wrappers on my walks and rescued two empty gin bottles that were in a stream and took them home to be recycled.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2021, 08:50:29 AM »
I have a low-income friend who doesn't have internet or a smartphone at home, so when I spotted a couple of "free with online registration" concerts (sponsored by a city arts grant) that I knew he would like, I got him tickets, printed them out, and surprised him with them when we met up last night. He hadn't heard about them and was excited :-)

Also, I'm heading up to my parents' house today for a third time to help out my mom. Her knee surgery recovery is going ok but she started having awful sciatica from the weeks of (mostly) bed rest so she is depressed and miserable again... it's her birthday this weekend, so I'm bringing some little gifts and her favorite Halloween candy which my dad claims the store didn't have in their town (Reese's!? I think my dad was hallucinating). I'm going to offer to make a cake and whatever she wants for dinner, too...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2021, 08:53:06 AM »
Well done, @Dollar Slice ! I hope your mom is on the mend soon!

As for me, I helped another mom out with a ride yesterday. As someone who always really appreciates that, it's nice to pay it forward when I can.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2021, 08:54:02 AM »
I hugged 2 guys retiring Friday afternoon.  Not to worry, we’re all uber-vaxxed thanks to Uncle Sam. 

This morning I made blueberry pancakes for my mother. 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2021, 06:18:06 PM »
Offered directions to someone out in the woods (they were solo and kept glancing at their phone then looking around as if trying to get their bearings), picked up some litter, made a funn, handmade  birthday card for a friend and another one for an elderly relative (I don’t know him that well but my mom didn’t think he’d receive many cards so we are all sending them separately as it’s his 80th!)