Author Topic: One (small) good deed a day 2024  (Read 21782 times)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
Re: One (small) good deed a day 2022
« Reply #200 on: February 04, 2023, 06:43:32 AM »
A friend of mine has been trying to fill a container to send to refugees in Idlib, Syria.  I drove a car full of old medical equipment (like walkers, wheelchair, blood pressure monitors, etc.) to her and also corralled a bunch of Girl Scouts to help her pack toiletry bags. There are 2.8 million refugees there, so it's a drop in the bucket, but it's not nothing. Plus, the Scouts learned something and they had a great discussion about refugees afterwards.

Yesterday, I was recycling my old toner and ink cartridges when I overheard an older lady in Staples was horrified at the cost of ink cartridges. I offered her my recycling reward, but alas, I didn't realize that there was a wait so I didn't have a reward to give.  However, she hadn't heard of this program so she thought she would recycle a bunch of her old cartridges and get the rewards later.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 06:46:25 AM by Poundwise »

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: February 04, 2023, 07:45:57 AM »
@Poundwise wow—2.8 million refugees in Syria? The mind boggles.. wonderful that you are helping with any amount.

Picked up some plastic while walking home—I’m always concerned that wild animals will try to eat wrappers/etc..

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #202 on: February 10, 2023, 04:42:52 AM »
Sent a donation equal to one month's expenses to help Syrian earthquake victims. Granted, our expenses aren't really that high here in China, so it's not as impressive as if I were a spendypants non-Mustachian.

Also will be dropping off a bag of clothing and medical supplies for earthquake victims in Turkey. Our compound has started a collection.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: February 10, 2023, 08:09:57 PM »
Still impressively generous, @Freedomin5 !!

@Serendip yes, I had to check up on the 2.8 million refugee figure but that seems to be the number in Idlib alone, not just Syria.

My good deeds for the week...
-Day before yesterday, I told social media friends that I was collecting supplies for earthquake victims (10 minutes, small and easy)
- Yesterday, I answered the door whilst friends dropped off new socks, diapers, feminine products, etc. that they had bought (easier yet for me, the friends are the ones who did the good deeds)
- Today, I picked up a sack of blankets and sleeping bags that someone else collected (5 minutes on my part) and went to a decluttering forum I belong to, and posted info about collections happening in several states (10 minutes of my time, and I feel very pleased with myself for this brainwave)

Tomorrow is the hard part: I'm driving a van full of supplies up to the Boston area to a collection point for Syrian refugees, since my usual contact has Covid and can't drive it herself. I'm beginning to feel anxious... what if the dropoff point is not open? I guess I had better make sure before I drive 3 hours.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 09:27:22 AM by Poundwise »

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #204 on: February 10, 2023, 09:41:11 PM »
Wow. I'm inspired by these efforts @Poundwise & @Freedomin5  and will find somewhere to make a donation--I heard about the White Helmets but need to read up on that organization.

Recent, if totally facile good deed compared to the earthquake/refugee crisis, was to take a visitor up into the mountains. It can be a bit overwhelming when people are new to the area so I took an aquaintance for a ski day in a blustery storm and he was over-the-moon to get some local knowledge of the area.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #205 on: February 13, 2023, 08:33:59 AM »
@Serendip don't belittle your good deed!  It was a kind and unlooked-for deed that made another person very happy.

To be honest, my driving the stuff up to the dropoff point took me only about a half hour or so out of my way, which is why I volunteered to do it. I had to drive up to Boston anyway with a big empty van to pick up stuff, so I thought I may as well take a load up with me and be efficient. So for about an hour of effort on my part (not counting all the effort by my friends to collect and buy stuff), I was able to bring supplies to people who really need them. Or at least hopefully they will arrive a month sooner than they would have if they waited for my friend to get better and bring them up.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #206 on: February 13, 2023, 08:20:58 PM »
I agree - @Serendip, you did great! Also, I had an extra-self-serving good deed this weekend of buying homemade cupcakes to support my local community association. They are trying to build up their financial reserves after so long of getting no community hall booking fees during the height of the pandemic, and were hosting a Valentine's Day cupcake fundraiser. I was happy to help with that one!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #207 on: February 13, 2023, 11:02:06 PM »
Nice job everyone!

This week I helped a friend research something for a trip he's taking - he asked me since he thought I might have some access to info that he didn't due to my social circle/social media reach.

I also stuck around for a few extra minutes waiting with an elderly friend who was going to take the city bus home, just to keep him company and make sure the bus came in a reasonable amount of time and didn't leave him standing on the street for half an hour. We got to catch up a little. I found out his wife and I are having the exact same set of MRIs done this month, two weeks apart - what are the odds. I just had mine done so I gave some advice in case she's anxious about them like I was.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: February 14, 2023, 02:16:13 PM »
Wow. I'm inspired by these efforts @Poundwise & @Freedomin5  and will find somewhere to make a donation--I heard about the White Helmets but need to read up on that organization.

I have two great links from people I trust: One says,
"As a starting place, I would encourage donors to look at groups that are not working with the Syrian government. It isn't that anyone would wish Syrians trapped in Assad-controlled areas (most of the country) to be without aid. Rather, it is the unfortunate reality that your donation may not (likely will not) reach the intended vulnerable people. There are articles and reports dating back more than a decade documenting Assad's theft of foreign aid. Also, the earthquake struck near Idlib, which holds 3 million Syrian refugees who are not under Assad's control. Aid organizations are already in this area and the money donated to them can be deployed and monitored with greater transparency. The American Coalition for Syria has circulated a list of 15 organizations they recommend for these reasons: "
https://www.sacouncil.com/how_to_help_earthquake_victims

Here's another list of trusted orgs and individuals that have worked around the barriers to aid in northern Syria for years and know how to navigate them now:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MzBlziy7Ejy5Lp_WJ55MdTSpY_q2qMuFww4FBHma9Wk/htmlview

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: February 15, 2023, 11:21:39 AM »
thanks for that @Poundwise --I read through it and made a donation :)

Someone gave me two caramel apples (individually wrapped) from a fancy chocolate place so I took one to work and left it in the staff-room with a note saying anyone who was in need of a Valentines Day treat could help themselves -- it was gone by the end of my shift so hoping it gave a little boost to someone.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: February 17, 2023, 01:37:38 PM »
Someone did an unexpected good deed for me today :)

I was skiing, riding the chairlift with some young guys--they were heading down early for work and asked me if I wanted their food vouchers. They each had one for $17, so $34 altogether.

I never eat on the mountain. So I went and had coffee & a chocolate croissant and picked up a bag of gummy bears for my touring bag and then found out I could save the other voucher for another day.
An unexpected treat and good mountain karma to those kids!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 01:46:13 PM by Serendip »

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: February 28, 2023, 09:53:33 PM »
Someone on the ski-hill had a doozy of a crash (lost a ski and both poles) and was sliding downhill head-first. I was coming from the uphill direction so I managed to fetch all the belongings and ski them down to him. Thankfully no injuries ("only his pride" he said) but it would've been really difficult for him to get back up the slope to get his things.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2023, 04:56:19 PM »
I was at a big midtown Manhattan grocery store today with a very elaborate line system at the cashiers (I think it was designed by someone who got fired from the DMV - there are like ten lines and you have to wait to get called up by numbers flashing on monitors over the line you're in, and go to the cashier corresponding to that number). There was a couple near me who were clearly confused about how it worked - they went to a cashier and had to return to the line because they had gone to the wrong place. So I kept an eye on them and when they got called up I noticed that they were just standing there not moving and hadn't seen their number coming up, so I flagged them down and pointed them at the correct cashier. Successful grocery check-out for them, and their (long) line didn't get delayed by them missing a cycle.

I also went to a museum exhibit with a friend that, for whatever reason, was very crowded with an exceptionally high average age... tons of canes and wheelchairs and generally way too many people. So I did my absolute best to be very considerate of where any people with disability were, letting people using wheelchairs in front so they had a better viewing angle, making sure we weren't getting in the way of anyone with a mobility aid, and making sure my somewhat-hard-of-seeing companion wasn't about to bump into anyone, since he has very bad peripheral vision. A little exhausting, I was happy when we finished that exhibit and went into one that wasn't so crowded. Sometimes I think there are too many people in this city :-P

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #213 on: March 02, 2023, 04:54:41 PM »
I picked up some formula for a single Mom of a newborn and delivered it to her. Something more to that story, I think, as she said she had begged her Mom to help, but she was too busy, and now wasn't answering her phone. Whatever. Not my circus, not my monkeys. At least the baby has formula for a few days.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #214 on: March 08, 2023, 12:20:02 PM »
brought my neighbor's trash and recycling cans in today.  It's supposed to be a *small* act of kindness, right?

Also riding along to a doctor's appointment with a good friend today.  She has a lot going on and is overwhelmed, so just using the time in the car to lend a supportive ear.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: March 08, 2023, 12:30:39 PM »
Went out skiing with someone who is learning. She asked for tips and it was a bit slow-going but otherwise kindof fun :)

I only learned myself within the last decade (was a snowboarder before)--so it feels good to pass on the help that others generously gave me.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #216 on: March 18, 2023, 08:38:08 AM »
-Found a debit card under a car in the parking lot. I got down on the ground & pulled it out. Dropped it off at the lost & found
-I continue my practice of returning my own cart, and whenever possible, another cart nearby, at the grocery store

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #217 on: March 22, 2023, 09:20:16 PM »
Coming home tonight on the subway, I noticed the guy sitting across from me had a very grumpy face on - not your usual "don't talk to me, I'm a New Yorker" thing, but like "WHOA, look out! Major grump incoming!" Then he started blowing on the back of his hand and I saw he was bleeding pretty good from what looked like a gouged knuckle. His hand was kind of red, I guess he'd fallen or had some kind of accident and whacked it on something.

I always have half a pharmacy in my bag - lots of OTC meds, masks, sanitizer, and of course band-aids. He had noise-canceling headphones on, so I didn't try to talk to him, but just leaned over and wordlessly offered a band-aid to him. He accepted and thanked me and put it on (and it stopped bleeding everywhere). I actually saw a little smile on his face afterwards. Glad I could make his night a little easier :-)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: March 23, 2023, 10:17:57 AM »
@Dollar Slice THAT was a great small good deed! That man needed to know that there is kindness in the world!

I've been home sick for a couple of weeks and not interacting much with people, so not much chance to do anything. Well, yesterday I was walking home from dropping off my daughter at school, when I saw a loose grocery bag blowing around.  I didn't want to touch anything dirty and was going to let it blow, but then I changed my mind, walked back for it, and picked up some loose litter.  Then washed my hands.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #219 on: March 24, 2023, 01:43:35 PM »
@Dollar Slice - what a lovely & small moment, that likely brightened his day a bit. Love it!

Offered to bring home the lost & found gym clothes, wash them & give them away on BN, vs letting them get tossed (after 12 months in the lost & found). The people picking up the random workout clothes (now clean, of course), are thrilled. There were some nice items. I'm happy perfectly good clothes didn't get tossed out.

I also offer a lot of carpool rides, particularly on Fridays, when my schedule is most flexible. I know how hard it is to be a parent, and juggle kid activities & pickups, so whenever I already have to be at the school early (a tennis match, today), I sign up to pick up additional kids.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #220 on: March 29, 2023, 07:31:03 PM »
Today I gave a tourist in my town directions to where they needed to go. It felt good to help!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #221 on: April 03, 2023, 11:54:49 AM »
I was on a bus route today that seemed to be populated by about 60% older ladies, and I noticed that for some reason the disability/elderly seating on one side was in the 'up' position (usually only done when there is a wheelchair passenger there, but in this case there was just some middle-aged guy standing there holding some bags). I didn't know if a wheelchair passenger had just gotten off, and this guy was standing in the way and people were too polite to tell him to move - or if the seat was stuck - or what... but it was stressing me out more and more as one after the other all these tottering elderly folks were getting on the bus and all the available seating was taken up at the front of the bus. Finally the bag-holding guy left and there was not a single seat available in the front third of the bus, and the bus stopped and this wobbly elderly woman was getting on the bus and I thought "I have to at least try, I can't believe all these people are just sitting here watching."

So I dashed up to the front and yanked on the lever - of course it was stuck. Figures - everyone else wasn't being a jerk after all. But after a few seconds of wrestling with it, I got it to work and got the seats folded down in time for the nice lady to sit down. Hilariously and unexpectedly, several people cheered - I guess they, like me, had been sitting there silently stressing about it the whole time, too. "Yay, you got it!!" "How did you get it to work??" etc. I think someone else must have tried before I got on and couldn't get it to work, so the bus passengers had given up as a collective.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #222 on: April 04, 2023, 02:02:16 PM »
@draco44 --it's an easy and satisfying thing to do. And everyone can use directions from time to time :)

@Dollar Slice You probably inspired that entire bus to try to be helpful in the future! Or in this case..try harder!

I saw some young guys discussing what to do about a broken binding (on a snowboard) and they were obviously choose to ignore it since I ended up going up the lift with them. But the one pulled a gigantic screw out of his pocket (which has come from the binding) so it was obviously very unstable. He mentioned a repair place that might help him fix it so I interjected and told them about a place which was significantly closer. They were very appreciative.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #223 on: April 06, 2023, 09:23:26 PM »
I went to a jazz club tonight with some friends, and the three of us were at the front of the line to get in when doors opened. I noticed that the fourth person in line was a young woman who I don't know, but I had sat next to her at a concert earlier this week, so I recognized her (we hadn't talked but did the "is this seat next to you available?" thing).

When the doors opened and we all went inside I realized that she had disappeared somehow and wasn't in the room - there's a glass wall next to the door where you pay to get in, and when I looked over I could see she was sitting on a bench outside, reading a book. Weird. I went back out and asked her if everything was OK, and it turned out that she had wanted to pay with cash and they didn't have change for her fifty dollar bill, so they were going to make her wait outside until some other customer happened to come along and pay with the exact bills they needed to give her in return (which was not guaranteed, tickets are $20 and everyone just pays with a $20). I happened to have some small bills in my wallet, so I made the change necessary and got her into the club without her having to sit outside and wait. She got a front row seat next to me instead of losing her spot in line :-) It turns out she's a music fan visiting from almost 10,000 miles away, so I'm glad I could avoid her having a bad experience at a NYC jazz club! She won't have many chances to be here.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #224 on: April 06, 2023, 10:02:04 PM »
Awww, Slicey, you're killing it! Love these stories.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #225 on: April 07, 2023, 08:19:57 PM »

Update: saw jazz club traveler again tonight, introduced her to my friends, linked on social media, told her to let me know next time she visits New York. 👍

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: April 08, 2023, 08:19:40 AM »
Gave a potted plant of tulips and a birthday card to a widowed neighbor who turned 80.  We don't usually interact much but she gave me a big hug.
It's a milestone birthday and I'm glad I was able to help her make it more fun.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: April 08, 2023, 08:58:10 PM »

Update: saw jazz club traveler again tonight, introduced her to my friends, linked on social media, told her to let me know next time she visits New York. 👍
Such a great connection—I bet you made her trip!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #228 on: April 08, 2023, 09:04:48 PM »
@LaineyAZ —it’s so nice to feel celebrated and seen. I bet she really appreciated the gesture!

Last week I was speaking with a somewhat anxious coworker and told her some of the things I do to make paying taxes less stressful (how I have my banking setup to make it seamless & easy to do instalments throughout the year, etc..also sub accounts and other things for saving).

Today she told me she has already switched hers over to do the same & was also telling others about it. Some said they would love to start a financial club (similar to a bookclub) since they feel overwhelmed. It was nice to start the conversation since they are all young women trying to set themselves up for success in a HCOL area on modest incomes.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #229 on: April 11, 2023, 11:56:53 PM »
That's great, Serendip. I've often wished I could do some friend-level financial advising/discussions but it can be really difficult to get into that with people. I see people I know making really bad choices sometimes, and it hurts! I make helpful comments when it feels appropriate, but there's only so much you can do unless they really want help and are motivated to change.

Today's good deed: there was a young man (looked about 16 but I hope he wasn't that young!) carrying a really heavy box, like a microwave or something, down the subway escalator. It seemed really precarious and unsafe, like he was barely managing it. He rested it on the handrail and it lurched a couple of times. He had some paperwork that was taped to it - I wasn't sure if he was supposed to be delivering it somewhere or if he'd just purchased it (it was in midtown Manhattan and it was in kind of an underground complex where there's both shops and a subway station right below a big shopping mall).

In the process of resting it on the handrail, the taped paperwork somehow transferred itself into being taped to the moving handrail on the escalator... which I noticed just in time, and managed to grab about 15 inches before it got sucked under the escalator mechanism. I was carrying groceries but managed to get it with my other hand and catch up to him (not hard, he was really huffing and puffing with that heavy box) to give it back. Not sure if it was important or not, but if nothing else, at least it didn't jam up the escalator.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #230 on: April 13, 2023, 01:02:56 PM »
@Serendip I DREAM of being able to give financial advice that is actually taken! Good work and I hope that the women go through with setting up the club!

@Dollar Slice, I love your subway deeds!  Sometimes I feel that peak misanthropy happens on public transit so anything we can do to bring kindness there is good.

This week I participated in an invasive weeds cleanup, led another Girl Scouts meeting, and gave some nice furniture and housewares (high end, and with sentimental value, so that it slightly hurt to give it away) to a family whose home had burned. I also gave cookies and hot dogs to my slow-learning-disability friend, who stopped by.

I've been feeling very blah and unproductive, but now that I look at what I did in a week, I don't feel so bad!

I had a fail in trying to bring an Easter basket and plate of Easter dinner to a single (very low income) mom and her son.  I tried to get in contact with them in the morning but no answer, and by the time she responded on Tuesday it was too late for the food and she also didn't want us to bring the candy because of her son's ADHD.  I guess I'll try to bring her some dinner this weekend, since it was also her birthday this week. 

I don't think it's a pride thing, but she's a very hard person to help. I don't know her very well, but she lives in a single rented room with her 12 year old son, subsisting on less than $1000/month that her son's father sends her (the dad is also very low income.)  Her landlord has been trying to evict her for over a year. I tried to put her in contact with social services but she somehow cannot avail herself of them;  she seems to have mental illness that prevents her from holding down a job or effectively advocating for herself.  This is not an easy fix.  I feel bad because I know several people who all have trouble taking care of themselves, but caring for them would take substantial money and time, like adopting a special needs child. So sometimes I give them cookies or food, because that's all I can commit to.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 01:37:49 PM by Poundwise »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #231 on: April 18, 2023, 09:09:20 PM »
I'm sure those people appreciate your efforts, Poundwise, even if you aren't totally fixing their problems 100%. (I don't think anyone would really expect that of you!) It's often the case that people who struggle the most are struggling for very good reasons, their life is messed up because they are a mess (mentally and/or physically) and it's hard to help them because they are hard people to help.

My good deed this week: my parents got a new refrigerator which they mostly really like, but it is very modern with a brightly lit touch screen with a little too much information and excitement every time you get a glass of water out of the water filter - including playing a cheery little song. So I figured out how to turn off the jaunty digital musical accompaniment every time you pour yourself some water. Peace reigns again in the Senior Slicey house.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #232 on: April 19, 2023, 03:35:59 PM »
@Dollar Slice, that is a huge service!!! I hate the noise pollution of the musical tones from microwaves, washing machines, dishwasher, cell phones.....you name it.  Those jingles drive me nuts.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #233 on: April 22, 2023, 10:38:12 PM »
I volunteered at an Earth Day event today teaching kids about stream monitoring and macroinvertebrate sampling. They liked learning about bugs.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #234 on: April 23, 2023, 04:28:52 AM »
@Dollar Slice, that is a huge service!!! I hate the noise pollution of the musical tones from microwaves, washing machines, dishwasher, cell phones.....you name it.  Those jingles drive me nuts.
Lol, me, too! Also on my list is keyboard clatter. Why do they have to be noisy?

ETA: Hmmm, I'd better add a good deed to stay on topic: At the thrift shop where I volunteer, someone periodically makes a meal for everyone to enjoy. I ate the last of it, so returned the clean* dishes to their house on my way home.

* I fully intended to clean them myself, but when I went to the kitchen to do so, someone else was just finishing it up. Nice.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 04:33:48 AM by Dicey »

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #235 on: April 23, 2023, 05:31:38 AM »

Lol, me, too! Also on my list is keyboard clatter. Why do they have to be noisy?

ETA: Hmmm, I'd better add a good deed to stay on topic: At the thrift shop where I volunteer, someone periodically makes a meal for everyone to enjoy. I ate the last of it, so returned the clean* dishes to their house on my way home.

* I fully intended to clean them myself, but when I went to the kitchen to do so, someone else was just finishing it up. Nice.

@Dicey and Slicey (LOL), when my son was about 13months old, my father came to stay with him so I could attend a conference.  When I returned home, he filled me in on their adventures and let me know he fixed all of his toys.  I asked what he meant and he told me that he put batteries in all of them.  I almost cried.  I had deliberately left them out so he would use his imagination and not have annoying jingles and "fake" truck sounds!  My dad was so proud of himself for taking such good care of his grandson!

Anyway, on topic:
Had a phone conversation with a friend of a friend regarding an upcoming medical procedure with which I unfortunately have personal and professional experience.  Spent about an hour offering personalized advice for recovery, etc.  Hopefully made a new friend.

GardenBaker

• Stubble
« Reply #236 on: May 18, 2023, 12:14:42 PM »
I was standing in line at a busy Subway and a mom with two toddlers was in front of me. The kids were bouncing off the walls literally, grabbing cups, etc. They ran off toward the bathroom out mom's sight and she yells toward them don't make me lose my place in line. I told her go ahead and go find them, I'll save your spot. I could tell she appeared to be a stay at home mom and I was on my lunch break, but I told her go ahead I'll hold your spot. Poor woman was ordering food for the kids, herself and her husband, but she thanked me profusely for being kind and I could tell she was just worn out. It's the little things that can make a difference in someone's day. Although, I will say I'm thankful we're DINK....I don't think I could handle toddlers of my own.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #237 on: May 18, 2023, 04:46:32 PM »
...I don't think I could handle toddlers of my own.

Same! Sometimes standing back and letting the toddler people sweep through is the best thing you can do. ;-)

Today I wrote a really heartfelt note of thanks to an organization that helped me out this year when I was feeling really low. I hope it makes them realize how much their work is appreciated.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #238 on: May 21, 2023, 09:46:54 PM »
Picked up some litter while walking home, including a nail that was in the middle of a road.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #239 on: May 29, 2023, 03:45:35 PM »
I saw a woman with a big suitcase and two kids under 5 y.o. in the train concourse standing and sort of turning in a circle looking around like she couldn't figure out where she was supposed to go. (Poor signage strikes again.) So I stopped and asked if she needed help. She was looking for a specific elevator, something I'm a subject-matter expert in after I had foot surgery a few years ago, so it was no problem giving her directions.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #240 on: June 02, 2023, 10:59:04 AM »
I was able to help my (elderly) neighbor with some tech challenges. Loaned her a new  mouse, and sent her a recommendation for a replacement. I've also been trying to make more time for casual chats with her, as I know she really appreciates it. I'm often busy, but slowing down and taking a few minutes is also good for me. Connections & community are valuable, and sometimes I have to work to remember that.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #241 on: June 18, 2023, 08:56:27 PM »
I went to a free concert tonight, and it's at a place that has a complicated system where you can sign up in advance for "fast pass" entry... it's still free, but you get to be in the priority line and it guarantees that you'll get in.

So I had two fast-pass entries and my friend decided not to go (we did something another night this week instead). Instead of just going in without him, I went to the end of the regular non-fast-pass line and found a woman who was also attending alone, and asked if she wanted to go in with me on the fast-pass line. She was very pleased to skip 30 minutes of line waiting and get a better seat and everything :-)

GardenBaker

• Stubble
« Reply #242 on: June 23, 2023, 12:33:21 PM »
I found the cutest little lost Shih Tzu dog and worked hard to get her returned to her owner. It took a visit to a vet to scan for a microchip (there wasn't one), but someone working at the vet recognized the pup and called the owner. I was glad to help a little pup in need; we have had over 100 degree days so outside and lost as no place for the little girl.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #243 on: June 24, 2023, 12:47:45 PM »
I found the cutest little lost Shih Tzu dog and worked hard to get her returned to her owner. It took a visit to a vet to scan for a microchip (there wasn't one), but someone working at the vet recognized the pup and called the owner. I was glad to help a little pup in need; we have had over 100 degree days so outside and lost as no place for the little girl.

Well done GardenBaker! Especially with the heat, that was a dangerous situation for the dog.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #244 on: June 24, 2023, 03:00:09 PM »
Helped a fellow bus passenger, who had asked our bus driver which stop to get off at. I gathered that last time Passenger went waaaaaaay past their stop and ended up on the other side of town.

Passenger had limited English, but knew their apartment building's address. Helping someone just by mapping an address on my phone feels like cheating, so I guess I was just in the right spot at the right time to be "the one". Surely another passenger would have helped if I wasn't there.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #245 on: June 24, 2023, 09:03:15 PM »
...I guess I was just in the right spot at the right time to be "the one". Surely another passenger would have helped if I wasn't there.

You never know! My easy and obvious good deed opportunity today was fully ignored by everyone else nearby.

Our road is closed on summer weekends from 12-10PM with big metal barriers, which are supposed to be placed so emergency vehicles can get through, but they weren't. As I was walking past, I could see an ambulance coming up the next block and stop at a set of barriers - the EMT had to get out and move them. There was a second set of barriers on our block that needed to be moved as well, and there was literally a big buff dude who looked like he spent every day lifting at the gym LEANING ON THE BARRIERS, and he just stood there looking at his phone the entire time. Plus a bunch of other people around. No one did anything. So I walked over and dragged a barrier out of the way for them to go through. (With, it's worth mentioning, one functioning arm, as I have a major shoulder problem right now.) Pointedly staring at Mr. Muscles as I did so. I had to move the barrier he wasn't leaning on, LOL.

Anyway, good job oneday, 'cause you never know when you're the only one around who isn't totally useless!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #246 on: June 25, 2023, 06:10:28 PM »
Thanks, Slicey! You aren't totally useless either! ❤️😆 Surely you made a difference in the speed of emergency response today.

Does putting clothes back on the proper rack after trying them on in the store count? Because I mostly did that (only 3 pieces out of dozens left for the attendant to put away). I do it because the stores I shop in are discount emporiums and surely the staff are underpaid and overworked.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #247 on: June 25, 2023, 06:13:49 PM »
Thanks, Slicey! You aren't totally useless either! ❤️😆

That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me all day... 😉

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #248 on: June 26, 2023, 11:47:45 AM »
Thanks, Slicey! You aren't totally useless either! ❤️😆

That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me all day... 😉
I was wondering where your story was going to go. You moved a barrier? You moved a barrier!!! You're a peach, Slicey.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #249 on: June 30, 2023, 07:20:23 AM »
I love how everyone here is doing the thoughtful little things that make the world kinder!

This week, I got up at 5am on Tuesday so I could give my elderly, disabled neighbor a ride to the primary polls. She makes a small amount of money as an election worker.  Then I left a meeting early so I would have time to pick her up at 9pm. She's petite and obese, so it's somewhat difficult to hoist her into the car, which is too high for her; also I had to put her wheelchair in the car. It's a long hard day for her and her legs were grossly swollen, so I was worried about her. But she made it through okay.

Yesterday I bought N95 masks for my learning disabled friend and dropped them off to him, so that he could make it through the smoky days here in NY.