Author Topic: One (small) good deed a day 2024  (Read 21758 times)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Re: One (small) good deed a day 2022
« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2022, 09:12:49 PM »
Offered to help with directions today when I saw a woman and her elderly mother glancing around trying to figure out where they were.  They actually were just out wandering and not completely lost but it felt nice to offer anyhow.

It's the thought that counts :-)  People often don't like to ask for directions so it's nice to offer.

I offered to move my seat on the subway tonight so that some parents could sit with their kids - they needed five seats together, which is often hard to do.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: November 12, 2022, 10:16:20 AM »
After I went to the farmer's market today, I went for a little walk around the neighborhood and happened to see an older woman by herself, looking around like she might be lost. I walked toward her to check and she asked me for directions. Her English wasn't great, but she said she was trying to get to the hospital to visit someone. There's this unfortunate thing where it looks really easy to cut through a park in my neighborhood to get to the hospital if you look at it on a map, but in reality you have to climb eight flights of rough stone stairs, and it's not obvious how to get across when you arrive at the park because it's kind of hidden in the trees. And we got all this rain last night and everything is covered in wet leaves, so I definitely didn't want to send an older woman up a million outdoor stairs. Anyway, I warned her about that and told her that she could also walk about 4-5 minutes south and catch a bus that would drop her one block from the hospital instead. So she did that. :-)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: November 12, 2022, 05:47:52 PM »
Nice example from your preceding post, @Dollar Slice!

I spent the morning helping my daughter finish up gifts to deliver to veterans.  Then we delivered a few of them today, though she got a bit tired of it.  I restrained myself from getting cross when she started to get sulky, since after all she had completed and delivered way more than her fair share.  She and another girl ended up doing all the deliveries for the entire troop since nobody else was available this weekend.

The one veteran who was home today seemed pleased. Hopefully the gifts brightened the day of a few vets when they got home.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2022, 01:01:42 AM »
My friend and I are running a free parenting course through our church.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2022, 11:44:05 AM »
Helped my 16 y.o. get signed up to volunteer at a food pantry, which he did for 3 hours yesterday. Teaching teens how to manage core activities for the first time is a life skill. Hopefully he'll manage on his own next time. I also signed up for a four hour shift on Friday.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2022, 11:49:17 PM »
Nice job helping your kids do some volunteer work! I wish I'd had that sort of example as a kid. Although both of my parents had jobs that were "for the public good" type careers, it would have been good to see some kind of actual charitable works in my household.

I updated a flier in InDesign for a friend's non-profit project tonight.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2022, 07:47:51 AM »
@Dollar Slice - I grew up helping at a homeless shelter. Once a month, my parents (and a couple of friends) would buy groceries for a meal, prep & serve the meal + clean up at the shelter. We did it for 10 or so years when I was around, and they continued on for another 10 years. The homeless shelter no longer allows the process, due to liability, but it was such a worthwhile experience. My parents both worked in public schools, and it was unusual for us to go when one of them didn't see a student from their school. My mom worked in an elementary school, and the kids were generally excited to see her. My dad worked in a high school, and that was much more difficult for everyone.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: November 22, 2022, 05:32:03 PM »
Yesterday I went to spend the night in a nearby town with a friend who has a baby. Her partner left town for a week so she was hoping for company.
On the way back, as I was waiting for the bus a young man asked to borrow my phone..wifi wasn't working in the cafe & he had a phone from a different country so couldn't call his sister to come pick him up. Thankfully he finished his call just as my bus arrived :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 05:34:20 PM by Serendip »

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2022, 05:39:11 PM »
Yesterday I went to spend the night in a nearby town with a friend who has a baby. Her partner left town for a week so she was hoping for company.
On the way back, as I was waiting for the bus a young man asked to borrow my phone..wifi wasn't working in the cafe & he had a phone from a different country so couldn't call his sister to come pick him up. Thankfully he finished his call just as my bus arrived :)

I'd be wary of handing my phone to a stranger.  There's been reports of people who are hacker-types who manage to access your personal info including bank info.  Hasn't happened to me or anyone I know but if someone were to ask, I'd tell them to let me make the call and then stand there while they talk to them. 

GardenBaker

• Stubble
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2022, 03:21:43 PM »
Dropped off a donation at the local resale shop that provides low cost vouchers to spay & neuter pets.
Purchased a calendar from a dog rescue organization.
Donated money to Big Dog Rescue which has been focused on helping homeless pets left at the border from migrants getting on buses and abandoning them. I didn't even realize that was a problem until I saw it on the news.

So in a nutshell all of my good deeds lately have been to benefit animals.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2022, 05:02:50 PM »

I'd be wary of handing my phone to a stranger.  There's been reports of people who are hacker-types who manage to access your personal info including bank info.  Hasn't happened to me or anyone I know but if someone were to ask, I'd tell them to let me make the call and then stand there while they talk to them.

Oh interesting--yes I'm naturally wary, even when friendly. I dialed the number and just handed it to him for the conversation. Good to know about the scams out there, I'm sure there are many!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2022, 05:04:32 PM »
We went to turn on the baseboards at our neighbours place. Temperatures have dropped and they aren't here to make sure pipes don't freeze.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: December 03, 2022, 08:24:31 AM »
I'm dropping off a new heavy-duty XL sweatshirt to the Kiwanis donation box.  They sponsor a clothing and gift card drive every year for older teens in foster care. 

Many charities are running toy drive for little kids but teens are often at the bottom of the gift list so I'm glad to help out at least one of them.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #163 on: December 05, 2022, 07:41:04 PM »
My 73-year-old mother called tonight and left a message saying she had some questions about buying things on eBay. Uh oh... haha. Turns out my brother did his usual Hanukkah "wish list" thing, which is that he gives out a list of things he's been unable to source for the last 12 months in the hopes someone else will be able to find them, and then my mom comes to me and is like "I can't find this anywhere!" Except in this case she was able to find it on eBay, but she didn't really know how eBay works.

Anyway, tldr, I just spent an hour hunting down a rare/sold-out-everywhere pair of blue Doc Martens in his size that can be here by next week at a reasonable price, and bought them with my mom's credit card and had them shipped to her house, and now she's finished her holiday shopping. They tell me it's for emergencies, like if they get in a car accident and I need to pay their bills or something, but in reality, my brother's Hanukkah list is why I am an authorized user on my parents' credit card.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2022, 04:40:22 AM »
Was visiting my 98-year old friend yesterday for our usual Sunday-NYT-Crossword-on-Monday date. Over our usual grilled cheese sandwich and popcorn lunch, she said she wanted to show me something.

It seems she received a credit card in the mail that she thought was a scam. Turns out it's a "CA Middle Class Rebate" and apparently legit, but she wanted a paper check, not a booby-trapped debit card. A Google search led to an article which said it could be converted to a paper check  I called the number on the paperwork multiple times, but no option lead to a human voice. She got the idea to call our State Assemblyperson. I did and a nice person actually picked up the phone. She verified my friend's info, then emailed us a form to be filled out and returned. We went upstairs (!) to my friend's desktop to complete the forms and noticed her lovely white Apple keyboard was grimy with smudges. I unplugged it, took it downstairs and cleaned it until it looked brand-new.

I don't know if our efforts will result in the desired check, but I'm counting the keyboard clean-up as a good deed.

Afterwards, we both climbed into her garage attic (yes, she's 98!) and brought down her Christmas tree and a box of decorations. We moved her dining room table together to make room for the tree. I noticed the legs were wobbly, so I crawled under the table. As she lifted each corner, I tightened the wing nuts. From that vantage point, I could see a burned out bulb in the DR light fixture. She knew exactly where in the garage she had another, so she got it and I replaced it.

Finally, we completed our puzzles.

I felt really useful today.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 01:23:59 PM by Dicey »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2022, 01:20:59 PM »
@Dicey I can only hope to be that spry and “with it” at 98!

My friend’s son is in the same class as DD. Both my friend and his son were deemed close contacts and put in 5 days mandatory home quarantine (even though their NATs are negative). Son was very very sad to miss the class Christmas party. My DD was also deemed a close contact and forced to stay home. I stopped by her school and picked up a goodie bag for DD and friend’s son, then biked over to their place to drop it off to give the poor kid a bit of joy this holiday season.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2022, 06:44:32 PM »
I donated some multipack toothpastes and a detergent to a church’s food bank box. 

I got new addresses for 2 folks who moved away this year so we can exchange Christmas cards.  Old fashioned, I know.  :)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2022, 07:11:54 PM »
I got new addresses for 2 folks who moved away this year so we can exchange Christmas cards.  Old fashioned, I know.  :)

Not too old-fashioned! :-) I wasn't going to bother this year because I've been having health issues this month and am just exhausted... but I had already bought some cards and scrounged up a few ounces of energy to send to just a few people who I thought could use a pick-me-up: two semi-recent widows; a friend who just started chemo after they discovered cancer while he was undergoing unrelated surgery; a friend who had major surgery recently after many months of serious pain; and a friend struggling with serious mental health issues. A card isn't much, but it's something, and it always brightens your day to get something pretty and handwritten in the mail.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2022, 08:53:57 PM »
I agree.  Getting cards in the mail is a bit of a pick me up.  This year I seem to have sent a few more than usual

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #169 on: December 17, 2022, 07:51:36 AM »
I'm doing twelve days of Christmas gifts for my 98 year old friend. Except for a few edibles, everything has been sourced very economically because. I look for things all year long and stash them away. She doesn't mind if the treasures are thrifted. I drop a wrapped package at her doorstep every day and dash off so she can find it later. I'm having a blast doing it.

It occurs to me some background is in order here. Every year I make her a giant, shrink wrapped gift basket, which she waits until Christmas to open. This year her family did Christmas very early, so I decided to switch it up. She still has the empty basket, so I asked her to put it under the tree and fill it up as she open her gifts (Holiday-themed gifts are given first, so she can enjoy them now.) This meant I had to wrap everything individually, but I have plenty of supplies on hand.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #170 on: December 17, 2022, 07:41:56 PM »
I donated a new toy to a little six year old girl whose mother recently passed away and she is being raised by her Aunt. I don't know for sure, but it almost sounded like the family of an indigenous woman that was murdered in our city recently. Anyway, I hope it brightens the little girl's Christmas a tiny bit.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #171 on: December 17, 2022, 08:55:49 PM »
This morning I walked a handicapped neighbor's dog, later I helped another neighbor find her phone. In the afternoon I put together a different neighbor's new heater that she had just about given up on. Now it's time to walk that dog again.

A few days ago I got a call from yet another neighbor that she had fallen and gone to emergency and they were letting her go home but no taxi would come for her. So I picked her up.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2022, 12:17:27 PM »
This morning I walked a handicapped neighbor's dog, later I helped another neighbor find her phone. In the afternoon I put together a different neighbor's new heater that she had just about given up on. Now it's time to walk that dog again.

A few days ago I got a call from yet another neighbor that she had fallen and gone to emergency and they were letting her go home but no taxi would come for her. So I picked her up.
❤️

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #173 on: December 18, 2022, 07:17:30 PM »
My 73-year-old mother called tonight and left a message saying she had some questions about buying things on eBay. Uh oh... haha. Turns out my brother did his usual Hanukkah "wish list" thing, which is that he gives out a list of things he's been unable to source for the last 12 months in the hopes someone else will be able to find them, and then my mom comes to me and is like "I can't find this anywhere!" Except in this case she was able to find it on eBay, but she didn't really know how eBay works.

Anyway, tldr, I just spent an hour hunting down a rare/sold-out-everywhere pair of blue Doc Martens in his size that can be here by next week at a reasonable price, and bought them with my mom's credit card and had them shipped to her house, and now she's finished her holiday shopping. They tell me it's for emergencies, like if they get in a car accident and I need to pay their bills or something, but in reality, my brother's Hanukkah list is why I am an authorized user on my parents' credit card.

This really made me lauch. And, Doc Martens are really having a resurgence! I should have kept my green ones, from my college in Seattle phase. ;-)

I attended a meeting for the advisory board I serve on, and helped out with some food bank admin work. Also gave rides to a far away school soccer game, saving other parents time.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: January 02, 2023, 12:36:27 PM »
Helped someone learn how to carry their skis properly.

I live in a ski town so often see people who look likely to hurt themselves or others. Normally I let people do what they choose but occasionally it seems like a helping hand (and micro-lesson) might be appreciated.

GardenBaker

• Stubble
« Reply #175 on: January 03, 2023, 02:39:27 PM »
Dropped off 2 large containers of laundry pods to the animal rescue organization. They seemed so happy and said everything helps. I can't adopt a pet, but hopefully,  this helped their cause a bit.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #176 on: January 03, 2023, 07:01:57 PM »
I helped an elderly neighbor on the ice today. She had taken her recycling bin down to the end of her driveway but couldn't make it back up. Because of the ice and the slight incline her cane was slipping. Recipe for disaster. Anyway, I just happened to be taking my bin out at the same time, so I called to her to wait and I would help her. The street is glare ice, but I managed to cross it and help her up her driveway to where it was clear of ice.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: January 04, 2023, 02:45:24 PM »
@Prairie Gal --that could've been a hip-saver! Falls on ice can be so dangerous for elderly folks.

Tried to make friendly chat with a fellow who was (perhaps inadvertently) showing bad-form by breaking line protocols at the ski hill. He was a visitor and it can be easy to get annoyed but I took a few breaths and worked on being relaxed about it.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #178 on: January 09, 2023, 05:16:26 PM »
I picked up a fallen receipt from the floor of a public hallway. 

Giving my gatos 🐱 some catnip for their enjoyment.  We’ve gone treatfree due to bellies that wobble to and fro.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: January 09, 2023, 05:32:59 PM »
Held the door for multiple people multiple times while waiting at the post office. Baby strollers, people with walkers, it was a great good-deed gig while it lasted :)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2023, 10:12:43 PM »
I encouraged my formerly-internetless, now has-a-smartphone-but-still-isn't-good-at-the-internet friend to go to the library and get a new card with a PIN number on it - he had an account from a million years ago with no e-mail address or PIN associated with it, which meant he couldn't sign up for any of their online services, which give you a ton of great freebies in NYC. He did that this week and I was able to get him signed up for the online Culture Pass and get him a free ticket to a play he's been really excited to see (I'm not really into theater, but apparently it won a Pulitzer and is a pretty hot ticket). The cheapest of the cheap seats are $70, so he was thrilled to get it for free. :-)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2023, 07:55:15 AM »
@Dicey, you must bring so much light to the life of your 98 year old friend!!

@oldladystache, you are the MVP of your neighborhood!

Too many updates to recognize all individually, but thank you to everyone here for weaving the fabric of a more loving, giving, society!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #182 on: January 15, 2023, 06:30:43 PM »
I helped a friend with a novel shopping idea! 

My friend invited me out for dinner before she is traveling overseas this week.  She’s had a terrible lingering cough since Christmas and has visited every CVS in town for a certain OTC drug to take on this trip.  I suggested she try the Walgreens down the street after dinner and lo and behold, success!  In our town CVS has a stronghold but Walgreens came through! 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #183 on: January 15, 2023, 07:21:34 PM »
I've been trying to do more frequent small calls and check-ins. Asked if my nephew (he is 5yrs) was able to FaceTime and he was delighted with the chance for an impromptu 'play'.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/02/well/phone-call-happiness-challenge.html

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2023, 07:00:17 AM »
I've been trying to do more frequent small calls and check-ins. Asked if my nephew (he is 5yrs) was able to FaceTime and he was delighted with the chance for an impromptu 'play'.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/02/well/phone-call-happiness-challenge.html
Love this! Thanks for the link.

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2023, 12:42:13 PM »
Found an item obviously forgotten by it's owner in a bit of distraction - made sure it got to the appropriate lost & found location where they'd be most likely to check.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2023, 12:38:04 PM »
Got some great coupons in the mail for Dunkin Donuts, somehow they gave us two - so I saved them for my busy young friend who loves their coffee.

Gave a friend a brand new top that I'd ordered online but did not fit me. Looked great on her and she was thrilled with it.

Made sure to meet the deadline for a local donation so the funds would be doubled by a generous donor.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #187 on: January 19, 2023, 08:05:07 AM »
Dropped off some groceries to a single Mom with three little kids. It was all extra stuff I had on hand from a visit from DS and his family, so I was happy it could go to use.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #188 on: January 26, 2023, 03:28:54 PM »
Tomorrow I'll be gifting a lamp I don't need to a younger person getting their first apartment. Last weekend I volunteered with a hiking organization where sighted people like me help blind people go hiking by talking them through any upcoming obstacles or changes in elevation.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2023, 12:02:28 PM »
Two online friends recently lost their spouse. I find it always a little awkward to know the proper etiquette, as I don't have their addresses, and we've never met iRL. But, tracked down addresses & sent sympathy cards & a small gift for a meal.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2023, 09:02:34 AM »
I noticed my 98 year old friend didn't have a lot of fresh vege in her fridge. Sam's Club sells small-ish* bagged salad kits s for under $2.50. I bought three different kinds and dropped them off to her yesterday. She eats like a bird, so she will be eating two salads a day for the next week.
*They're still generously sized, just small compared to the Costco behemoths, which she could never consume before it spoiled.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #191 on: January 29, 2023, 08:57:19 AM »
That's lovely, @Dicey

Yesterday, I was able to fulfill two "In Search Of - ISO" asks on Buy Nothing. For just a few minutes of my time, searching around for things we had but hadn't used in a while, I was able to save some folks some money. I give away a lot on BN, but being able to fulfill an ISO is my favorite. Two in a day is a big win!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2023, 10:36:51 AM »
That's lovely, @Dicey

Yesterday, I was able to fulfill two "In Search Of - ISO" asks on Buy Nothing. For just a few minutes of my time, searching around for things we had but hadn't used in a while, I was able to save some folks some money. I give away a lot on BN, but being able to fulfill an ISO is my favorite. Two in a day is a big win!
Do you follow @Tami1982's journal? Her BN giveaways are inspirational. Kindred spirits...

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2023, 04:23:46 PM »
Love reading these thoughtful gestures.

Nothing big happening here
-helped some folks find their destination (they were glancing around in obvious confusion)
-hit the door-opening button at the library for a mom with her arms full of children
&
-reached out to a friend with a knee injury to try to arrange something outdoors which won't require walking

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2023, 04:45:38 PM »
Great work everyone!

I saw an elderly friend last night at a concert who is always in a hurry to get home, but likes having someone to go home with (walk to the subway/ride on the train) and we live on the same train line. I ran into another friend leaving the show and stopped to say a quick hello - and she left without me. So my good deed was speed-walking as fast as I could to catch up to her (she is quite slow due to her hip pain). And I really thought I had done it - I saw her on the other side of the street, passed her, crossed the street ahead of her to wait for her to catch up - and then she was gone?? I waited and she never came. I thought maybe she decided to take a different train, so I gave up and went to our usual subway. And then two minutes later she showed up and said "How did you get here before me??" Not exactly sure what happened! But we were able to ride most of the way home together and had a nice talk. I have to take a different train in order to ride with her instead of the one that is most convenient for me, but it's not that far of a walk so I don't mind when the weather is nice.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2023, 08:23:38 PM »
My pet peeve is when people leave grocery carts strewn around the lot, particularly when they are blocking spots. I managed to return two today, including one that was blocking not one, but two parking spots. It's the little things. :-)

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #196 on: January 31, 2023, 05:45:34 PM »
I helped a lady navigate the DIY parking kiosk in a DC suburb this morning in the rain. 

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #197 on: January 31, 2023, 06:39:55 PM »
My pet peeve is when people leave grocery carts strewn around the lot, particularly when they are blocking spots. I managed to return two today, including one that was blocking not one, but two parking spots. It's the little things. :-)

That’s annoying when people do that.  A few years ago I did a landscaping job in the parking lot islands around the parking lot of a grocery store and I’d be working on a two-parking-space sized island wheelbarrowing in and out material, planting shrubs and installing irrigation and literally while I was working in that space people would walk over and push their empty cart right into the middle of the landscaping I’m redoing and leave it there right in my way instead of walking it 10 more steps to return it to the cart area.  Nearly lost the last shreds of hope I have for humanity doing that job. 

Anyway, came here to post that the other day I found a company credit card in a store parking lot, looked up the name of the guy on the card and found the business he owned was a few min away so I drove it over to him

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #198 on: January 31, 2023, 07:50:32 PM »
@JAYSLOL - that is super disappointing that people would do that. But, I see it all the time. I remember my mom sighing under her breath when I was little, and muttering about people thinking they are better than other folks, when not returning their carts. It's stuck with me, and I likewise make sure the kids know to not only return our carts, but offer to take others, or pick up an extra stray on their way to the cart return.

That is awesome that you tracked down the missing credit card owner. I'm sure they were relieved.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #199 on: January 31, 2023, 10:04:11 PM »
I was at a big grocery store yesterday, and it was one of these urban stores that has most of the store in the basement for real estate reasons... the down escalator was working but after you did all your shopping and had a full basket of food it turned out that both the elevator and up escalator were broken. Which is maddening for a lot of reasons (can't you reverse the down escalator?). Several of us less-abled folks were gathered by the elevator waiting when someone came by to tell us it wasn't working, and instead of offering to help schlep groceries up the double-floor-height escalator, they left us to our own devices. So I flagged down an employee to at least help the elderly lady with a cane who was trying to haul her groceries up by herself. I also wrote a note to the store with some suggestions as to handle this situation better next time, e.g., try stationing someone at the bottom offering to help instead of having a small group of 20-something-year-old employees standing at the bottom watching while little old ladies struggle, which is what they were doing >:-[

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!