Author Topic: One "Odd" chore a day  (Read 164991 times)

BZB

• Bristles
Re: One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #800 on: March 31, 2018, 06:46:35 AM »
My odd chore today is to do some admin work for 2 organizations I'm involved in.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #801 on: April 01, 2018, 07:51:22 AM »
Home Depot has captured a little bit more of our money in March.

1. I purchased the final phase of hinge/door knobs to replace in the bedrooms/hallway and have swapped those out - project finally done!
2. I didn't realize during the first phase, but did for phases 2 - 4 that this old brass hardware can be recycled so it's all ready for drop off at our county recycling center when we make our way there.
3. I painted the mailbox but my spray paint ran out (was used on another project originally) so now I have to buy another one to finish the job. darn but I can't leave it half done like this.
4. I did paint several more bedroom/hallway doors when I was swapping out the hardware so now all doors in our upstairs have been freshly painted.

On the list for April will be:
1. moving a couple perenials from our front garden bed to one on the side of the house and putting in a couple new ones there to add more color and interest. The existing ones spread out too much and have taken over more than we had intended.
2. Also, more painting but this time the front and back external doors.
3. I'm not doing the work, but we are also in need of tearing down and replacing the fence on one side of our yard. But this requires a conversation with the neighbor first since it's technically his original fence which is falling down now in sections and in terrible shape. This may not happen in April though but hopefully before the summer heat takes over.

Also, happy to report that the insurance company agreed the wind-storm caused significant damage to the roof so we will now be getting a new roof for the cost of our deductible which is $2,500.  Hubby anticipates our annual rates will be increasing as a result of the claim, but even if we don't sell for 4 or 5 years, the increase in premiums cannot possible be more than the full replacement cost ($17,000).  We had been anticipating this expense for several years and setting aside money for the replacement.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #802 on: April 01, 2018, 04:13:09 PM »
I found two boxes of canning jars in storage....so collected all the jars and recycled the ones that were not true canning ones.  That made some counter space because I was out of room with jars everywhere. 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #803 on: April 02, 2018, 05:31:24 AM »
Pulled apart the nursery and scrubbed everything.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #804 on: April 02, 2018, 07:30:16 AM »
-Took apart Sonicare toothbrushes & cleaned them.
-Noticed how dusty a floor door lock had gotten (I foam roll in the evening, and have seen a different side of the house, hence my new inspiration for cleaning). Got that dusted & cleaned up
-Likewise, noticed the bottom of our bed frame was dusty & took care of that
-As always, finding messes on our cupboards in the kitchen, so continuing to wipe them down as I notice
-It's spring here, so did quite a bit of sweeping outside yesterday. This helps keep the pool clean(er), by reducing the debris that can blow in

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #805 on: April 19, 2018, 06:38:36 AM »
I attacked my living room yesterday. Flipped one couch and chair to glue felt on the bottom of the legs. While they were at weird angles I vacuumed every inch of them. Velvet furniture and cat fur, makes for a furry base!

Then I pulled down my massive curtains in the living room and dining room and washed them twice. They came out beautiful! I hung them up wet because I don't own a dryer, but also because then they dry with no wrinkles - works perfectly!

Followed all this with a serious vacuum and dusting of my downstairs. I do this on the regular, but I was extra careful getting all the edges.

I am spending the next few days spring cleaning and performing extra odd chores so I will be updating some more. I have a bit of cabin fever as we are experiencing early spring bad weather so while this time of year I would normally be starting on outdoor chores, I am instead focusing on indoor items.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #806 on: April 19, 2018, 07:28:34 AM »
'red-up' the cupboard under the kitchen sink.  My grandmother would say ' get red-up' .  It usually meant stop what you are doing, put away, clear off, wash your hand, comb your hair, tuck in your shirt, or whatever else needed to happen before the thing needed to happen next...And it needed to happen in 90 seconds.  Be that a photo or clearing the dining table for a game of eucher or the horticulture club was coming for tea.  In my case - we can't get the membrane changed in our RO and the guy is coming with a proper wrench.  It is free because we bought the membrane from them already - just have to provide a tip to the guy.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #807 on: April 19, 2018, 08:14:25 AM »
'red-up' the cupboard under the kitchen sink.

I have never heard that expression but I just red-up under the kitchen sink as well! I only use fabric grocery bags but my SO's parents have oodles of plastic grocery bags which they give me to use as garbage liners in my kitchen and bathroom. I had to really tidy them up because I have just been shoving them under the sink. Then of course when I was down there, I pulled everything out and washed the cupboard and tidied everything up to military precision. While moving more bags up to the bathroom I decided to do the same there as well. I love secret clean spots only I see!

In a fit of further craziness despite it being freezing and my unfinished basement slightly flooded due to the giant ice storm - I decided to take apart a basement window and wash all the panes. I honestly in ten years don't think I have ever cleaned this particular window. The dirt between the panes was shameful. Even after cleaning it's not perfect, but it's just to damn cold to keep the window open anymore and my hands were freezing wrestling with it while being wet.

Now I am off to wash winter blankets and duvet covers. I am trying to wash every textile in my house in the next four days. It gets tricky because I don't have a dryer and have limited hanging space for large items. I can't drape over furniture or doors as my furniture is all vintage wood and the doors are 100 year old gumwood. I debated going to a laundry mat but after years of using them, I grew to hate laundry mats and am super spoiled with my washing machine now.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #808 on: April 21, 2018, 08:47:02 AM »
I'm killing it these last few days.

Winter blankets, cleaned and put away.
Winter coats, hats, mittens, washed and hung to dry.
Load of regular laundry done.
Shower liners and curtains washed and hung in place to dry.
Bathroom scrubbed to within an inch of its enamel!
Upstairs dusted, mirrors cleaned and vacuumed.
Humidifier descaled to be put away when it dries.
Giant meat sauce batch made and moved to the freezer.
Freezer drawers organized and cleaned.
Linen closet organized with items ready to donate in the car already.

I wish the weather was better I would love to get a head start on taking apart and washing all my windows. It's a very arduous task, but despite the sun shining it's still too cold. Not sure what I am going to tackle next other then a cup of tea.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #809 on: April 21, 2018, 03:22:32 PM »
I fixed our garage door opener remote. The button didn't want to open the door unless you squeezed it rally hard. I took it apart and sprayed the switch on the circuit board with some electrical contact cleaner and that seemed to fix it. I hope that's all it was. The remote is a super old Craftsman remote and I'm not sure it is even made anymore.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #810 on: May 04, 2018, 04:46:05 AM »
Recent progress includes (as planned above):

1. Painted outside of front and back external doors - yay!
2. Rearranged some of our perennials in our front garden beds - way better spaced now and I planted a few new ones for variety.  Transplants haven't died yet so considering this a success.
3. We did get quotes for the fence project which were much higher than we thought they'd be.  We've decided to do the removal of the existing fence ourself to save $850. But will pay our oldest son to do most of the labor.
4. Still waiting on the install of our new roof but should be very soon.
5. Bought new area rugs for our front door and kitchen. The previous ones had seen the end of their life-span and were dirty/stained beyond rescuing.

Also, not pre-planned but very much needed - got power washing on our siding and deck and have started restaining our deck boards.  Once that's done we will repaint the deck railings and stairs.

Very pleased with our maintenance projects lately! 

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #811 on: May 04, 2018, 03:03:30 PM »
listed some stuff on ebay.  its been about a year since I last listed anything.  I never seem to have much luck...I'm already thinking I should lower the prices (I mean I wouldn't pay that much!).  :-)

fosterhope

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #812 on: May 07, 2018, 05:08:48 PM »
So I'm new here, but this sounds like something I should definitely start doing.

Today I (hopefully) fixed the leaking freezer - I chipped off all the ice buildup that had accumulated, flushed the drain with some hot water, and cleaned all the fur that had gotten underneath it. I don't know if I'll be happy or sad if that's all that needed to be done - we've been sopping up water that's leaked out from under it for years now.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to get all the tape that's stuck on my bedroom window off. My brother had the room before me and had problems with the window falling in, so he just used a bunch of filament tape to secure it. It is now cemented on. Again, it's been there awhile, but hopefully all I need is some soap and a scrub brush or paint scraper (depending on how stuck on it really is).

I just got home from college and live with my parents in the same house that I grew up in. Stuff like leaking fridges and taped windows and moldy windowsills never used to bother me, but now I just feel embarrassed that we're all so lazy that we can't be bothered to deal with that kind of stuff.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #813 on: May 07, 2018, 06:32:58 PM »
So I'm new here, but this sounds like something I should definitely start doing.

Today I (hopefully) fixed the leaking freezer - I chipped off all the ice buildup that had accumulated, flushed the drain with some hot water, and cleaned all the fur that had gotten underneath it. I don't know if I'll be happy or sad if that's all that needed to be done - we've been sopping up water that's leaked out from under it for years now.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to get all the tape that's stuck on my bedroom window off. My brother had the room before me and had problems with the window falling in, so he just used a bunch of filament tape to secure it. It is now cemented on. Again, it's been there awhile, but hopefully all I need is some soap and a scrub brush or paint scraper (depending on how stuck on it really is).

I just got home from college and live with my parents in the same house that I grew up in. Stuff like leaking fridges and taped windows and moldy windowsills never used to bother me, but now I just feel embarrassed that we're all so lazy that we can't be bothered to deal with that kind of stuff.

Way to go, @fosterhope!  It feels so good to get those old items taken care of, doesn't it?  Hopefully it will give you motivation to keep going.

Yesterday's odd chore was moving the last bits out of the condo I sold and into my apartment.  Today's odd chore will be moving my car and bike to the apartment, along with final cleaning of the condo.  It's not going to be spotless, but I can take the "ew" factor down a notch or two.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #814 on: May 12, 2018, 08:27:16 AM »
Noticed that something had splashed on the outlet cover in the kitchen - to the point that it was under the outlet cover. No idea how this happened, but unscrewed the cover, and soaked it, plus carefully cleaned behind it.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #815 on: May 12, 2018, 09:34:50 AM »
I just found this thread, this is such a great idea!

2 days ago I did the first cleaning out of the pond this spring and bought some tiny fish to eat mosquitoes.
Today I did another round of cleaning of the pond, it was pretty bad.  The fish seem okay.
I also put up my neglected aloe plant free to a good home on facebook.

Runner5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #816 on: May 12, 2018, 11:09:28 AM »
Ok, I fell off this waggon HARD, but in my defence I work full time and am studying for my BA part time and also like to not have stress-related breakdowns. 1 a day was a stretch, BUT, by channeling my inner Amy Santiago, I created a spreadsheet that categorises Things that Need to Be Done by room, and then by priority (so I can just sort by priority, but also see what needs to be done room-by-room), and am tackling one Thing per weekend. This weekend's was painting a chipped, custard cream (?) coloured radiator white. It took way less time than I thought so #Result. Next week's is sanding and oiling the wooden countertops in the kitchen.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #817 on: May 12, 2018, 11:20:26 AM »
Ok, I fell off this waggon HARD, but in my defence I work full time and am studying for my BA part time and also like to not have stress-related breakdowns. 1 a day was a stretch, BUT, by channeling my inner Amy Santiago, I created a spreadsheet that categorises Things that Need to Be Done by room, and then by priority (so I can just sort by priority, but also see what needs to be done room-by-room), and am tackling one Thing per weekend. This weekend's was painting a chipped, custard cream (?) coloured radiator white. It took way less time than I thought so #Result. Next week's is sanding and oiling the wooden countertops in the kitchen.

This is an impressive plan - I like it! Will have to try something similar

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #818 on: May 12, 2018, 10:56:16 PM »
Moving houses give lots of opportunities for odd chores!

This week I assembled shelving for storage closet on the patio and moved several boxes onto the shelves.

Also took apart two pot lids to scrub out the accumulated gunk.

Today: super glued three things that needed it, plus mixed up some epoxy for a bigger fix.  No more broken things needing adhesives for a while, please!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #819 on: May 13, 2018, 09:14:05 AM »
Replaced some ceiling fixtures last week - bye, bye brass.   Of course the old fixtures left a line on the popcorn ceiling which the new fixtures don't cover.  Also, the newly uncovered ceiling doesn't match the '25 years of dust'  on the rest of it.  I managed to retexture the circles that needed it by dabbing polyfill on them, and mixed up some off white paint.  Looks pretty good - I don't think anyone will notice the difference now.

Runner5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #820 on: May 13, 2018, 11:22:52 AM »
Moving houses give lots of opportunities for odd chores!

This week I assembled shelving for storage closet on the patio and moved several boxes onto the shelves.

Also took apart two pot lids to scrub out the accumulated gunk.

Today: super glued three things that needed it, plus mixed up some epoxy for a bigger fix.  No more broken things needing adhesives for a while, please!

Don't they say that things come in threes? Therefore, logic dictates that you shall be blessed with an adhesive-free short-term future :)

I adulted even further this weekend and took a load of textiles to the textile recycling (which is at the urban farm, so I got to stop and cuddle some goats <3 ) and a load of books to the book recycling.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #821 on: May 14, 2018, 07:40:18 AM »
So many odd chores got done this past weekend.  I demanded some help from the family on the spring cleaning list ahead of a gathering that I decided to host for our local candidate for the upcoming provincial election.  The house looked great.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #822 on: May 14, 2018, 06:31:34 PM »
Don't they say that things come in threes? Therefore, logic dictates that you shall be blessed with an adhesive-free short-term future :)

I adulted even further this weekend and took a load of textiles to the textile recycling (which is at the urban farm, so I got to stop and cuddle some goats <3 ) and a load of books to the book recycling.

I sure hope you are right!   Adhesives begone!

Cuddling goats sounds awesome.

Sunday's odd chore was removing tape residue from a couple items that had been taped together. 

Today's odd chore was re-packing one of the holiday boxes.  The old box would not fit on the shelf, and today I was able to get a smaller box from work.

Does anyone know if the charity shops will accept donations of out-of-season holiday items?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #823 on: May 20, 2018, 12:18:05 PM »
Today was a good one. We took apart the mattresses & pads & wood slats & cleaned our bed frame top to bottom. It's been a year (since we moved in) & the dust under everything was incredible. You can't regularly clean, and it's a wooden, encased bed frame, so lots of possibilities for dust to creep in. While I was there, I got in/behind all of the wooden furniture in the bedroom, and got behind the bed & vacuumed/cleaned. Everything is sparkling! Now I just have to wait for my husband to help put it back together. So awkward & heavy!

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #824 on: May 21, 2018, 01:57:15 PM »
We did a lot today, since it was such fantastic weather, we worked in the garden and trimmed 4 large bushes that had grown to big, pruned the grapes and swept the driveway.
I also cleaned the car: threw out all the old receipts and stuff that had accumulated, vacuumed and cleaned the whole interior, washed the exterior and checked oil levels etc.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #825 on: May 21, 2018, 09:21:16 PM »
Moved my office. Whole damn thing. Balls to the wall, all day long, but guess who has been in the same faculty office for eight years and yet managed to move it all in a single day? Me, that's who.

And now I have a window with the view I wanted instead of the view of a brick courtyard I was offered three years ago (and two years ago, and last year).

MPP: I thought I'd really done a good job downsizing books at home. Turns out I just took them to work.

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #826 on: May 25, 2018, 11:08:57 AM »
I cleaned out the utensil drawer and caddy in the kitchen. I was able to get rid of like 6 large spoons, tongs etc that we didn't use at the same time! I feel a minimalist purge coming on and this was the first step!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #827 on: May 25, 2018, 02:51:57 PM »
I'm at a lot less than 1 a day, but I am doing odd chores still.  Yesterday I dug up and planted about half of my garden.  Somehow I can still use my arms today, I must be stronger than I thought.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Re: One &quot;Odd&quot; chore a day
« Reply #828 on: June 08, 2018, 10:03:02 AM »
Two of the corners of my dining table got a little banged up in my move and today I finally went over them with wood paint to cover the damage. It’s nothing major, but a small odd chore still improves my living space!

Also cleaned under &amp; behind the microwave.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #829 on: June 08, 2018, 11:52:25 AM »
I've been slacking again, but finally got some gardening/mulching/seeding done this week.   I tidied and swept out the garage yesterday.

Today we cleaned out a huge clog of leaves in one of our downspouts, and knocked down the beginnings of a wasp's nest.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #830 on: June 08, 2018, 08:00:24 PM »
Recap of the past week or so:

-Went through all of the kids clothes & created a big stack of "too small" items for the donation pile
-Emptied/recycled/tossed all of the school papers that came home
-Washed all of the bags, now that school/soccer is over. I dump everything, then put them in the wash & dry in the sun.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #831 on: June 09, 2018, 03:56:32 AM »
The last couple of weeks have been good for odd jobs for me. I finally filled in a low spot in my front yard and replanted the grass.

I spent a bunch of time purging, cleaning, and reorganizing in my garage. I tossed a bunch of old scrap wood and PVC pipe the previous homeowners left behind. I haven't touched the stuff in the 10.5 years since we bought the house, so I'm comfortable that we will never use it. I chopped up an old garbage can that had a hole in the bottom so I could toss it in the regular trash can.

I also cleaned up our basement sump pits, cleaned up the sump pumps, and replaced the check valves.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #832 on: June 09, 2018, 03:31:22 PM »
-Cleaned out my closets & both kids closets
-Went through & gathered up the kids entire collection of Pokemon cards + accessories. Listed on local neighborhood swap

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #833 on: June 10, 2018, 11:28:05 PM »
Finally scrubbed out the bag in which I spilled a lot of milk a couple weeks ago.  Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #834 on: June 11, 2018, 07:52:09 AM »
Scrubbed the shower (3x) in the bathroom that doesn't have a fan. (Installing a fan is also on the to do list.) I wasn't feeling well, so I also bribed by 12 year old to handle the third run through & he did a great job, actually. Shower looks really good. I've been DREADING this chore, so I'm so happy to mark it off!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #835 on: June 11, 2018, 12:33:52 PM »
I vacuumed the car.  I had run it through the automatic car wash, but at this car wash place their vacuum costs $1/5 min.  I have a shop vac at home, so went home and vacuumed.  At this park (I live in my motor home) they don't allow us to wash our cars here as they are on a well and we are in severe drought.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #836 on: June 11, 2018, 06:45:30 PM »
We have a deck with attached gazebo on the back of the house. It's under a maple tree that's been there, probably 70 years, and we left it because the shade is wonderful.
Every spring, those little helicopter seeds come floating down and as usual, every year the cracks between the deck boards get filled with the seeds. Then, in the years they are left there too long, we have little maple trees growing from the cracks of our deck.

This year I have, for every night for a week or 2, been using  the tool  TheHusbandHalf made for me to get rid of the seeds/trees.
He took an old 2 1/2 - 3 inch scraper and duct taped (most of the world's problems can be solved with duct tape or WD-40) it to an old broom handle, and I just shove it between the boards. Sometimes the seeds fall through, some don't. The one's that don't, I sweep up and spread all over the grass. When they sprout, MyJohnDeere will cut them down.

It's a lot of work, but the shade is so nice!

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #837 on: June 17, 2018, 10:13:37 AM »
Some progress since last post.

1. New roof is installed!  So glad to be done with worrying about the replacement cost of the new roof.
2. Fence project is moving along. We removed the rotten fence on the neighbors side of the yard. Was a little harder work than we were imagining, but everyone in the family helped at some point or another.  We bought a farm tool at Harbor Freight that made pulling up the old posts a ton easier (about 7-8 minutes each vs. 30 minutes by trying to dig out by hand). About half of the old fencing lumber has been taken to the dump.  Recycling came and picked up the metal fencing with bulk pick-up (nice!). Need to do another load (maybe one and half loads). Guy who is putting in replacement fence has us on the schedule and keeping fingers crossed the install will be before we dog-sit my brother's dog in July. Otherwise, will make the week a lot more challenging.
3. Have continued to purge random bits and pieces like the broken printer and blender (taken to recycling station).
4. Regifted some of the items I bought for my son's dorm room and gave to my niece who is headed to college this fall.
5. Started staining/painting deck and rails, etc but still a long way more to go.  The excessive rain in May and early June really held up progress on this one.
6. Last bits of the playset we took down have been cut in smaller pieces for regular trash pickup. It's basically just down to the plastic slide remnants.
7. Mr.N2S fixed our push mower by taking it apart and cleaning out the carborator.  It would cut out 1-2 minutes after starting it. We've had very bad luck with push mowers for some reason.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #838 on: June 19, 2018, 12:11:57 PM »
Cut up a bunch of fruit & vegetables & froze them. We're heading out of town & don't want to waste food. I also took the time to quickly clean out the fridge.

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #839 on: June 23, 2018, 06:36:37 AM »
Used tweezers to pick the fluff off the back of the hairdryer... much more efficient now, and not as much of a fire hazard.

Runner5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #840 on: June 23, 2018, 08:57:52 AM »
Trimmed the front hedge (not a euphemism). I was starting to feel guilty about how far it was overhanging the pavement. Can't be nice for people with prams / wheelchairs to have to battle with vegetation just to get down the bloody footpath!

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #841 on: June 24, 2018, 06:52:04 AM »
Runner5 - that's a very nice thing you did for yourself and for others!

The rain continues to mess with our outside projects.  This weekend I painted our powder room bathroom with leftover paint from another project and took down the fan vent cover to clean it and vacuum the dust from the inside of it. Looking so fresh now - I love it!

Also, went through the top side drawer next to my bed where random receipts/paper and other little bits get shoved. Recycled/threw away about 1/2 the contents.  yay!

Still need to take the rest of the fence lumber to the dump station and still waiting for the guy to install the new one.

Also, I have some old gold jewelry that I never wear that I'm ready to get rid of. Would like to get some money for it but need to research convenient options.  It's not worth much. Anyone try one of those mail-in companies?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #842 on: June 29, 2018, 01:36:50 PM »
We're at our vacation house, & this is the week where I try to get irregular chores done here. Yesterday I dusted everywhere (blinds, etc) & washed the floorboards. I also defrosted the freezer. For today, I plan to fix the fan & clean all of the outside light fixtures.

For tomorrow, I'll clean the patio furniture & start cleaning the moss in the windows. (We're a few blocks off of the coast, and the maintenance required is quite different than at our non-coastal home).

Runner5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #843 on: July 08, 2018, 01:31:32 AM »
Cut down some self-seeding Buddleia plants that had started growing in the wall of my house :-O and in a weird wall that separates my 'shed' (originally an outhouse) from my next-door neighbours'. They're very pretty, and the butterflies love them, but these hadn't actually flowered this year, and they show no mercy to brickwork!!

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #844 on: July 08, 2018, 11:04:52 AM »
Yay! Our new fence was installed Friday! Just in time as our next door neigbhors have had family staying with two dogs. Now we don't need to worry about our dog maybe being in a bad mood and not getting along with the others. Plus, I'm dog-sitting another dog for about ten days later this month.

I also took the afore-mentioned gold/silver jewelry to a local jeweler and got $280 bucks for a few broken/kinked necklaces and bracelets I don't wear and a couple old rings that don't fit me anymore anyway.

The heat/humidity let up just enough for the last two days that I got some more painting done on the deck and the railing where the steps are.  I also took a skinny tool and cleaned out between the stair boards real good (that's were the dog's hair and dirt gets stuck) so they are ready for restaining now.

Still about 25-30 boards from the old fence to deal with. We've been putting two or three at a time for regular trash pickup after cutting them in half. At that rate it's going to take a long time but not sure if I have another run to the county dump in me anytime soon.

Identified two more things that can be sold on Ebay so put DH in charge of that. He's also made a fresh pile of books that can be donated to the library and DS#1 added another 10 books or so that he's getting rid of as well.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #845 on: July 20, 2018, 09:59:31 PM »
We installed air conditioning (facepunches accepted here) & the mess that is currently in my house from the two weeks of construction is insane. I need to clean up so much dust, dirt & debris. That's on the agenda for tomorrow.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #846 on: July 21, 2018, 06:08:46 AM »
Spray painted two metal deck chairs that were showing some rust spots. We've had them about 15-16 years. As long as I freshen them up every 3 or 4 years or so, they are holding up well.

On our deck project, I did stain the underside of the stair railing, but need to flip it over and do the top now. Also stained the stair treads but ran out of the paint needed for the risers.  It's going to be raining here all day and tomorrow, so no progress to be made this weekend. The hardest part is yet to come and that is painting the railing from the outside which will require up and down on a ladder many, many times.

Last weekend I went to visit my mother. I took about ten empty plastic tubs/container boxes that I had emptied from our basement storage area over the last 18 months. My mother is a borderline hoarder. I knew she could use these to transfer stuff she had in storage from cardboard boxes to better ones, but while I was there, we also filled up two very large trash bags to throw out, three small bags of stuff to donate, and one box of excess stuff from her kitchen to hold for my younger brother when he eventually moves out. There is so much to be done at her house it is literally overwhelming for me and hard for me to sit down for more than ten minutes without wanting to get up and clean somewhere, but I knew if she just had a little help, she'd work on it a little bit while I was there. Now if I can just get her to stop the urge to go to yard sales and buy more stuff when she doesn't really use everything she has now! Doubtful. Even on a barebones, limited retiree budget, she just likes to hunt for 'deals'.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #847 on: July 21, 2018, 03:31:10 PM »
The post construction clean up continues. I vacuumed the entire house, dusted maybe 1/2 of the house (everything needs to be cleaned. Every surface is covered in construction dust) & have done six loads of laundry. Kids home from camp + all rugs, towels, bedding, etc needs to be washed because of the dust. I'm exhausted!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #848 on: July 21, 2018, 04:17:13 PM »
Cleared out two boxes of kitchen utensils and etc. that my husband dug out of storage, ran things through the dishwasher if there was a chance we wanted to keep them. Sorted out a box for the thrift store, but there are some glass canisters that will be very welcome at grad school apartment, plus an electric kettle.