Author Topic: One "Odd" chore a day  (Read 164856 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #600 on: June 10, 2017, 07:40:13 PM »
Prairie Gal, I like the one thing a day rule! That could work for me

Bones

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #601 on: June 11, 2017, 07:12:21 AM »
I've been getting a ton of stuff done around the house and will continue it today, I think this is a really cool thread.

The last week I've done a bunch of deep cleaning, gone through my clothes and donated half of them, started a filing system while recycling all the old papers and documents that I was hording without needing them. Today will be cleaning off the bookshelf and going through my outdoor gear and then that means I've gone through the overwhelming majority of my stuff and gotten rid of a lot of clutter!  Moving back to my house in two months is going to be a lot easier now.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #602 on: June 12, 2017, 09:15:02 AM »
I had one of the most productive weekends of my life this weekend.

Picked up two truck loads of garden soil to spread around the 'lawn', leveled it off, spread grass seed. Need one more load of soil and another bag of seed, hopefully I can get that done during the week.

Dropped off two dog crates taking up space in the garage from previous foster dogs

Picked up and planted two cherry trees

Sewed half the curtains needed for my pickup camping setup and finally decided on and ordered a mattress that will fit my sleeping platform.

Harvested rhubarb, froze most of it and made a rhubarb crisp.

Started going through all the library books I checked out to figure out how to design the prairie meadow section of my yard.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #603 on: June 12, 2017, 10:14:07 AM »
Yesterday I finally out up 2 smoke alarms and a CO detector in my motor home.  I live in it full time so I should not have taken this long to do that.  Today will be putting the last of the errant tools into the tool boxes I bought.  When I moved back in 2008 I put tools in various boxes I could find at the time.  They are finally getting put where I have a chance of finding them when I need them now.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #604 on: June 12, 2017, 11:49:25 AM »
It's finally hot enough to have to turn on the a/c, so I just rebalanced all the air vents.  We have a 2 storey house, and we want the cold air to get upstairs so we can sleep at night.  If I don't do this, the basement is frigid, the main floor is cold, and we still sweat to death upstairs.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #605 on: June 12, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »
I should totally join this thread, and I should also totally move some mulch this afternoon and/or work on clearing out the basement.  The basement is cooler, so maybe I'll go down there.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #606 on: June 16, 2017, 03:02:59 PM »
Repaired a clock that's been broken for 2 3 OK 4 years.  I am the queen of procrastination!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #607 on: June 16, 2017, 08:45:14 PM »
This is such a fun thread:)
Put six things in the ongoing donation box-yay.
Went through all my purses today - cleaning and re-organizing.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #608 on: June 17, 2017, 04:19:43 AM »
Reorganized diaper bag to be used for two kids instead of one. Returned three items and cleared up space.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #609 on: June 27, 2017, 08:18:05 PM »
Cleaned the filters in the HRV unit today.  I really need to do this more than once a year - I'm going to set myself a reminder to do it again before Christmas.

Also changed the last back up battery for our smoke alarms.  Did the other two a few weeks ago, but was too lazy to haul the ladder upstairs to do the last one.   Now that it's up there, I will use the ladder tomorrow to clean the lights and skylights.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #610 on: June 28, 2017, 06:24:04 PM »
Not an odd chore but been on my to do list for quite some time: deep cleaned the house. Next on list, work through kids clothes and donate the too small ones.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #611 on: June 28, 2017, 10:45:10 PM »
One of our tenants broke their lease, so we had to clean the house top to bottom, left to right, inside and out. Oh yes, this house is located in the Desert, where temperatures bounced from 115 to 118. Fun! They had only been there ten months, but boy, were they pigs! FWIW, they broke the lease because they liked the area and decided to buy.

I did so many chores that I lost count. At least a month's worth. Hell, I cleaned there better than I do at home.

Happily, we found a new tenant while we were there.

Whew! Tired.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #612 on: June 30, 2017, 01:26:36 AM »
Ordered a photo book!!

Back story: After decluttering the digital pictures we have, I realized that we had some really good ones that we never enjoyed because they were files in hard drives. Keeping them as files in accessible folders was not a good option because we had a number of distractions/things that needed our attention on our phones and laptops. The best of best, I printed and posted on our wall of Fame but we didn't want to clutter the walls too much.

Enter the brilliant idea to make a photo book for every year so we can weave a story out of that year. This was not hard on the surface since I had to make just 5 (now 6, since this project was started in Jan 2016) photobooks..... And I completed just one during all of 2016! I kept procrastinating and looking for deals all the time. Most times, I'd either be not ready for a deal that came or I'd take too long to get the photo book ready. And today, spurred by a deal, despite having a toddler and newborn, I managed to finish book#2 and it should reach in two weeks. Feels so satisfying!!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #613 on: June 30, 2017, 04:35:46 AM »
Ordered a photo book!!

Back story: After decluttering the digital pictures we have, I realized that we had some really good ones that we never enjoyed because they were files in hard drives. Keeping them as files in accessible folders was not a good option because we had a number of distractions/things that needed our attention on our phones and laptops. The best of best, I printed and posted on our wall of Fame but we didn't want to clutter the walls too much.

Enter the brilliant idea to make a photo book for every year so we can weave a story out of that year. This was not hard on the surface since I had to make just 5 (now 6, since this project was started in Jan 2016) photobooks..... And I completed just one during all of 2016! I kept procrastinating and looking for deals all the time. Most times, I'd either be not ready for a deal that came or I'd take too long to get the photo book ready. And today, spurred by a deal, despite having a toddler and newborn, I managed to finish book#2 and it should reach in two weeks. Feels so satisfying!!

I do photo books.  One per year.  I usually get going in November when I start combing the year for four or five photos for a Christmas letter and finish a few months later when there is a special.  I keep doing different sizes but I max out the number of pages and pack each spread with tons of photos.  I have started adding captions because we were having trouble remembering what was going on in some of the older books.

I went through the soccer bin and pulled out all the too small cleats and shin guards.  It is embarrassing that there are five pairs of too small shoes.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #614 on: June 30, 2017, 06:57:01 AM »
Ordered a photo book!!

I do photo books.  One per year.  I usually get going in November when I start combing the year for four or five photos for a Christmas letter and finish a few months later when there is a special.  I keep doing different sizes but I max out the number of pages and pack each spread with tons of photos.  I have started adding captions because we were having trouble remembering what was going on in some of the older books.

I went through the soccer bin and pulled out all the too small cleats and shin guards.  It is embarrassing that there are five pairs of too small shoes.
Thanks! This seems a doable schedule. I need to put it on my calendar so I don't forget when November comes along. Now to be ready with photos for the next book so I can use the deal when the next one comes along.

Salvo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #615 on: June 30, 2017, 09:26:23 PM »
"Replaced" the attic fan... added the quotes because the fan was not there, just the temp control box.  Today it was ~90 in Ohio so I decided to check the attic out and it was unbearably hot.  A Christmas candle I put up there had melted on its own, so I worried about other items being stored and ruined.  Wasn't very hard to do since I had a light and outlet available to chain romex off, just aggravating because of the heat and sweatiness.  Tested and it worked great, so happy it is setup and working now!

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #616 on: July 03, 2017, 03:52:26 AM »
Almost a year ago we had my parents parrots staying over at our house for a couple of weeks. They are really sweet, but unfortunately, they also are tiny little destroyers, so our kitchen door and wall got damaged, because they decided to nibble some of the wood/wall away.

This weekend I finally bought the stuff needed to repair the damage. 15 euro's for some wall- and woodfillers and 5 minutes of work. Why have I left this out so long?
Today I'm heading to the store again, to get the right color woodfiller to also repair the small holes in our wooden floor.
The 'odd chore' list for our house has several more items pending, if I keep this up, it should be done by the end of the summer.

I also decided to spend everyday 5 minutes to clean up my laptop. I have files everywhere, several backups on several harddrives, etc. etc. It's a real mess, so in 5 minutes everyday I hope to have sorted all the mess out by the beginning of september.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #617 on: July 03, 2017, 06:06:05 AM »
Yesterday I rearranged the furniture in my office, cleaned under everything I moved (ick), moved in the two-drawer filing cabinet from the dogs' bedroom to make them more room since they are now also sharing with all the tools. I moved the printer onto that file cabinet and finally got rid of the "printer stand" of two sheetrock mud buckets and a scrap board it had been sitting on. This house may look finished one day yet!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #618 on: July 04, 2017, 08:03:54 AM »
"Replaced" the attic fan... added the quotes because the fan was not there, just the temp control box.  Today it was ~90 in Ohio so I decided to check the attic out and it was unbearably hot.  A Christmas candle I put up there had melted on its own, so I worried about other items being stored and ruined.  Wasn't very hard to do since I had a light and outlet available to chain romex off, just aggravating because of the heat and sweatiness.  Tested and it worked great, so happy it is setup and working now!
Badass!

thisisjeopardy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #619 on: July 18, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »
unplugged my old 3 monitor setup that was sucking up a lot of power. replaced them with a very large display I had purchased a while ago on sale that has built in split-screen. less cables and clutter, less power consumption.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #620 on: July 23, 2017, 03:04:07 PM »
I've been slacking.  It's been hot and humid, and even doing regular chores has been unpleasant.   Gave myself a kick today and cleaned/organized the computer set up we have in the basement for video editing and transferring old VCR tapes to digital (one of my retirement projects).  Looks so much neater without cables running everywhere, and I like this set up better than the original.  I also set aside some computer parts and accessories we don't need anymore, and will offer those to a local guy who builds free computers for people on disability.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #621 on: July 23, 2017, 03:10:42 PM »
I'm almost done cleaning and organizing my ginormous walk-in pantry.  It's taken me two days and it hasn't been done since we moved in four years ago. Surprisingly little to be thrown away and most of what I'm ditching came from DH's house after we got married. Woot!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #622 on: July 23, 2017, 07:03:18 PM »
Today was turning my mattress. It's a tempur pedic type so it doesn't get flipped, but it hasn't been rotated in forever, so that was today's chore!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #623 on: July 24, 2017, 06:24:55 AM »
Today's odd chore was cleaning out my nightstand! So much random stuff in there. I threw out most of the junk and reorganized.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #624 on: July 24, 2017, 06:31:00 AM »
Yesterday we got rid of a large 50 gal aquarium from our front porch that housed a turtle temporarily.  Got all the sand and rocks out and delivered to SVDP. 

Today I will finish decluttering from son #3's room.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #625 on: July 25, 2017, 06:50:45 AM »
Went couch and cushion surfing today. Took out all of the cushions, found some spare change and socks, then vacuumed the nooks and crannies and did a once over on the couch. Thankful for my shop vac today!

I'm not sure if my "odd chores" are odd enough for this thread, but it's inspiring me to do things I wouldn't normally.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #626 on: July 25, 2017, 09:41:50 AM »
I've been cleaning out the freezer the past few days.
Made a chocolate zucchini cake from some shredded zucchini I froze last fall. So moist and delicious!!
There's still so much food. There's no way I'm going to even make a dent in the next 9 days.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #627 on: July 26, 2017, 09:40:19 AM »
Made a chocolate zucchini cake from some shredded zucchini I froze last fall. So moist and delicious!!
There's still so much food. There's no way I'm going to even make a dent in the next 9 days.

That sounds delicious!  Can you share the recipe?  We have excess zucchini just like every summer.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #628 on: July 26, 2017, 03:10:10 PM »

That sounds delicious!  Can you share the recipe?  We have excess zucchini just like every summer.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/17643/chocolate-zucchini-cake-iii/

I used less sugar (maybe 1 1/3 cup) and skipped the walnuts.
Delicious served with fresh raspberries :)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #629 on: July 26, 2017, 06:20:31 PM »
Today I cleaned out and scrubbed down the refrigerator. Ick.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #630 on: July 27, 2017, 10:38:14 AM »
Does weeding count? Holy man I'll be glad when my lawn is good enough to keep up with the weeds.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #631 on: July 29, 2017, 10:22:58 AM »
I finally scraped the peeling paint off a couple of windows, primed and painted them.  This is a job I meant to do last year, so it feels good to get it off the list today.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #632 on: July 29, 2017, 07:32:25 PM »
Cleared construction debris and sawdust from our library-cum- roommate bedroom. The room is finished (walls, moulding, ventilation, ceiling fan all this week).

Also glued back a piece of trim that fell off the sideboard two moves ago (= at least 8 years).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:55:34 AM by Rural »

LMBB

• Stubble
« Reply #633 on: July 29, 2017, 11:26:36 PM »
This thread is brilliant and I need to get by butt in gear.

Today I rendered some bacon grease that has been sitting in my fridge for probably 6 months. I'll do one or two more passes tomorrow. The lard will eventually be used to make soap for christmas presents this year.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #634 on: July 30, 2017, 05:07:07 AM »
Only a chore because I dislike shopping generally, and anything other than caring for my baby feels like a chore right now: went shopping with a friend and picked up the baby clothes we need in the next two sizes to supplement the hand-me-downs we've received.

LMBB

• Stubble
« Reply #635 on: July 30, 2017, 11:39:34 PM »
I had a couple weeks worth of clean, unfolded laundry hanging around (yep, I'm one of those people), so today's odd chore was to fold and put it all away.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #636 on: July 31, 2017, 06:04:48 AM »
Dusted the bookshelf, moved paperbacks to a new shelf, rearranged. Living room looks better. Going to take a few from husbands high school teach days to a thrift store today.

LMBB, I need to do that clean laundry thing!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #637 on: August 05, 2017, 05:09:31 AM »
Made a dent in the backyard weeds.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #638 on: August 05, 2017, 08:04:26 AM »
I'm joining this gauntlet for the next two weeks because I've done a very unmustachian thing and bought an 8 hour blitzkrieg of house cleaning from Angie's list. Since I am generally a semi-slob, this puts the pressure on and motivates me to get things picked up before the "Fall cleaning date." Gotta get stuff put away and taken out before then!

Goal for today:
Take "to donate" piles from shelves and hallway and actually donate

Goal for tomorrow:
Start donate pile for food pantry
Drag around bags of dirt and level out ground/fill in holes in yard which keep trying to break my ankle

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #639 on: August 16, 2017, 07:53:55 AM »
Visiting my parents. Discovered my mother had labeled/stickered all of her out of date canned foods. I decided it had to go so I cleaned out her pantry. I found peanut butter that had expired in 2008. It's not as if she was ever going to eat it, she's just unable to throw things away. I've gone through the refrigerator now too. 

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #640 on: August 19, 2017, 08:47:22 AM »
This is a brilliant thread and I just want to check in to tell everyone how it has inspired me.

One day I sat down to post a comment about doing an "odd chore", when I was struck by a thought: instead of writing an MMM post about yesterday's odd chore, I will spend that time doing today's odd chore! So it has spurred me to get a lot of little things done.

Here is a list of a few of the odd chores I've done over the past weeks:

*Scrubbed the fronts of all my kitchen appliances including the gross and grimy kickplate beneath my oven
*Removed ceiling light covers and washed them; replaced a couple of fluorescent bulbs with LED bulbs.
*disassembled and hosed out my smelly wet-dry vacuum cleaner; cleaned with bleach solution
*Cleared out all of the kitchen cupboards and washed them inside and out; got rid of outdated food (yikes! waste)
    and pots/pans & accessories that I don't use. This actually took three days.
*Scrubbed baseboards and corners/walls where the pets had begrimed them
*Scraped, sanded and painted some trim where the paint had flaked off
*sorted through two large filing cabinets and reduced their contents by two thirds, reorganized the rest
*sorted through several large boxes of old papers for filing, recycling and shredding
*scrubbed the bathroom ceiling and applied a mildew inhibitor
*random sorting and decluttering --> took a whole car-trunkload of stuff to the Goodwill
*and more!

Coming up soon:
Get rid of most of the tchotchkes and greeting cards that have been collecting on top of the piano
More basement decluttering (I'm slowly going through boxes)
Sort through drawer stuffed with giftwrap/cards/ribbon

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #641 on: August 19, 2017, 11:35:13 AM »
Need to get back into this thread again! Things that used to be "regular" chores have been slipping into the "odd chore" category. GULP. Things like 'mop the kitchen' that really should NOT be an odd chore! But hey, starting somewhere, right?

Done:
Go through pile of papers that accumulated in the kitchen. File/shred/recycle as appropriate.
Sweep and mop kitchen and bathroom. Get baseboards at the same time.
Sort through fridge contents. (Cry over nearly an entire pack of guacamole that got abandoned at back and had to be thrown out).

Up next:
Deep scour kitchen sink.
Photos of goodwill items for tax records, then move to goodwill bin in garage.
Mop master bathroom.

Hopeful for today, but unlikely:
Can pickles.
Mow front lawn.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #642 on: August 19, 2017, 07:17:09 PM »
1. Cleaned out my car, vacuumed and all!
2. Hung up a piece of art in my office that my grandmother made.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #643 on: August 21, 2017, 01:27:34 PM »
Washed my backpack (it's soaking now). We've been hiking a lot and the pad that rests on my back totally stank.

Kellie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #644 on: August 21, 2017, 09:15:34 PM »
Things that used to be "regular" chores have been slipping into the "odd chore" category. GULP. Things like 'mop the kitchen' that really should NOT be an odd chore! But hey, starting somewhere, right?

100% agree! And in that vein....cleaned the guest bathroom, including cleaning and reorganizing under the sink, and wiping down the moulding. Also tackled the backyard and pulled a bag full of weeds.

Kellie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #645 on: August 21, 2017, 09:46:45 PM »

This all started for me (and this thread) because I tried to make a massive list and got completely overwhelmed. Add to that I also have a mental nagging list as well. I sometimes put too much pressure on myself.

I am trying to let the list be "free" and just spontaneously do tasks and I have to say it's actually a lot less stressful and dare I say, kinda fun. I recognize I am only getting a few things done a day, but I feel like I am accomplishing more and without stress! Reporting here is almost like a reward and having something to list AFTER its done is way better then a massive "to do" list.

This exactly. Any time I've made the big long to-do list I've also been immediately overwhelmed, and don't want to do any of it, but the idea of just doing one random thing a day and then reporting back here is totally inspiring. Great idea Lindsey!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #646 on: August 22, 2017, 11:57:18 AM »
Had to remove a malfunctioning toilet.  While it was out, I was able to finally get a ladder in and repaint the trim of the skylight above.

I will install the new toilet tomorrow, so that's Wednesday's odd chore.   

ETA:   Nope.  It got nice and cool finally, so did gardening instead.  Many, many weeds were pulled and plants transplanted.  Toilet was purchased today, but installation is pushed back for tomorrow or Friday.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 06:23:55 PM by Shinplaster »

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #647 on: August 25, 2017, 03:54:21 PM »
Cleaned out one kitchen cabinet and 2 drawers. Found 3 items to donate. 

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #648 on: August 26, 2017, 05:41:10 AM »
Just because there is a hurricane hitting and flash flood watch in effect, does not mean 430am is not a good time to go clear out the mess in a rental house.

This is what happens when you discover how terrible your place looks right before picking up your kids from school. Clean while the kids sleep!

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #649 on: August 26, 2017, 08:00:16 AM »
I read this thread often to get motivation for our ongoing cleaning/purging progress.  However, I typically read on a device that is not logged in to my MMM account, so I rarely post anything. Just a shout out to let others know that people lurk/read this thread all the time but may not post. I was inspired by centwise above to post some of the things I've been accomplishing lately as 'odd chores'.  Here it goes:

1. Removed all the ceiling pot light covers in kitchen. Scrubbed all kitchen grease off them and spray painted them white again.
2. Reinstalled above covers and scrubbed the metal components as well.
3. Painted the kitchen ceiling, which meant I had to also paint the hall ceiling (same ceiling plane) - uggh.  Painting ceilings is hard!
4. Repainted doors and trim for 5 interior doors and counting.
5. Repainted base molding in said kitchen and hallway.
6. Painted new back door which was installed brand new in December (why did it take 7 months to paint that?)
7. Removed HVAC register cover in hallway, scrubbed it, and spray painted it white again.  Vacummed the hell out of the interior register cavity (really gross!).
8. Bought and installed replacement door hinges on 4 interior doors (changing from builder grade brass to brushed nickel to match door handles).
9. Removed various things from hallway, patched walls, and repainted including replacing 2 switch covers.
10. General purging, using up, looking for out-dated food in pantry and fridge.
11. Removed all stove grates (iron), scrubbed them, and reinstalled.
12. Replaced 2 cabinet door knobs that somehow got missed when we moved in.
13. Went through closet in spare bedroom and cut down on unused work clothes by 1/2. Most went into donate pile, but some items set aside for 2 nieces to see if they wanted any of them first. Included about 8 pairs of work/heels that I rarely/never wear.  Kept one pair of black heels for special events.
14. Replaced inner cartridge on shower valve to repair drip/leak.
15. Removed about 15 books from shelf in office to donate to library.
16. Set aside about 8-10 bath towels to donate to animal shelter. (recently bought new towels for master bathroom remodel). Still need to drop these off.
17. Removed and repaired window screens for about 6 windows. Still need to do 3 more.

Generally speaking, I'm trying to keep up with purging (throwing out, recycling, donating) an average of 3 items a day.  Sometimes I go way over, but sometimes if I'm super busy, it's zero so I think overall the average of 3 is working out.