Author Topic: One "Odd" chore a day  (Read 165028 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #300 on: March 08, 2017, 03:09:14 PM »
Even my two non-allergenic, no-shed dogs leave fuzzballs all around the house. And the Tortie cat with her pure white underbelly, OMG! And the furry asshole loves to plant herself wherever you were just sitting, so that next time you sit there in your 50-Shades-of-Gray-or-Black Pants...you guessed it!

Okay, I posted to say I did a chore! I should say that regular shit like cooking and laundry and housekeeping are not what I consider "Odd" chores. So don't worry, I'm mostly keeping up with all of that, despite being sick since last Friday, including my damn birthday.

On my birthday, I dragged myself out of bed to make waffles for my family. (Dear DH helped.) Well, no, that's not right. Someone mentioned you could make hash browns in a waffle iron and I wanted to try it, because I bought a 10# bag o' potatoes at the 99 Cent Only Store ere I got sick. Hint - don't use too many potatoes. I won't be doing this again, as cleaning the waffle irons was a bitch.
Which brings me to my chore:

I have three garage saled or gifted waffle irons. I store them in a stack with non-slip circles in between to keep the pile from tumbling off the lazy susan where they normally reside.

Well, Someone put a piece of the non-slip on top of the still-hot waffle iron. Gallows humor alert: we're all sure it was MIL's pal Al.

I know for a fact that the stuff is designed to withstand heat in excess of 400 degrees (Fahrenheit for my Upside-Down friends), but when it melts it's a godawful mess. I thought the waffle iron was ruined. But today, when I was washing the stuck-on potato shreds off the plates again (did I mention I'll never use this method again? Yes.), I thought about trying to plug in the iron to re-melt the stuck-on crud and scrape it off with a razor blade. It worked! And best of all, I realized the plates are removable, so I soaked them while I scraped the top and they are finally clean. My thirty year old waffle iron looks all shiny and sparkly and pretty again.

And that my friends, counts as a chore, for the win.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #301 on: March 08, 2017, 03:31:21 PM »
Dicey, I feel your pain!  Maybe not to the same degree, but I feel it nonetheless.

My potato masher looks like this:

Do you see how thick the plastic is on the business end of the masher?  Yet, also see how small those little honeycomb cells are?  Can you imagine what happens when you mash potatoes with this?  Yes, that's right, the cells all fill up with mashed potato!  But they are too small to stick, say, a fork into, to push the potato out.  Some comes out if you bang the masher against the side of the pot, but it's as likely to fly up and hit you in the face as to land back into the pot. 

And woe to you if you do not immediately rinse it off, or put it into the sink to soak - you will end up with quite a scrubbing chore!

One of these days I am really going to get myself a metal one, flatter, like this:

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #302 on: March 08, 2017, 03:39:25 PM »
Borrowed my neighbor's electric extension teeny tiny chain saw (never knew they existed!) and trimmed a high branch that was threatening a window and blocking the light).  What I thought would be hard was very easy!  Still, I'm counting it as an odd chore!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #303 on: March 08, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »
Today was my day to go to Mom's apartment to check on her/see if there was anything needed doing.  She'd had a leak on one of her walls, and the repair guys had finally been there yesterday.  So today I rehung all her photos/pictures for her, and replaced some lightbulbs that had burned out.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #304 on: March 08, 2017, 03:50:14 PM »
This is a slightly embarrassing one. For Christmas, we had to rearrange a (pretty much unused) front room. ILs gave us an old couch which fit perfectly, and we stuck the tree on the other side of the room. Had to take a big bookshelf out for this. Well, Christmas tree got moved out a while ago, and we moved the shelf unit back in... but the shelves were still in the garage =\ We *finally* brought them back in and put them together again, haha. (Now I just need to slowly acquire goodwill decor and similar so I don't have an entirely empty bookshelf in the "yoga room". Or maybe it will just stay empty. Eventual plan is for it to be a nursery, but that hasn't been very forthcoming, so in the meantime... yoga mat and a hand me down giant purple sofa =P

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #305 on: March 08, 2017, 07:12:57 PM »
Well, here I thought I would have nothing to add to this thread today, when I pulled a load out of the dryer to discover... drumroll please... that an entire pack of gum has gone through the laundry! Amazingly, very little got on the clothes. But the entire drum of the dryer was coated with sticky, linty ick. Sigh. Accidents happen, though of course they happen more often when someone (cough, DH, cough) just half-assedly wads a ball of tangled up laundry into the machine rather than putting each thing in there one by one. So I went to work armed with YouTube, a magic eraser, and a bunch of elbow grease. The dryer is now clean - and hey, and odd job!

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #306 on: March 08, 2017, 08:19:25 PM »
Mostly unpleasant financial chores lately, as well as decluttering. But they are on my checklist, so here they are:

• Cancel DD’s gym membership
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred card
  • Amex Blue cash card
  • Store warranties

That last one in particular is a thorn out of my side. It was a pile of instruction manuals, warranties, etc. for everything that has come into the house with such a document over the past one, two, three (it can't be three) years? A shameful pile,  indeed, which is now filed "away".

The others are for financial gain -- should be about $1700 this year.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #307 on: March 09, 2017, 01:32:14 AM »
Well, here I thought I would have nothing to add to this thread today, when I pulled a load out of the dryer to discover... drumroll please... that an entire pack of gum has gone through the laundry! Amazingly, very little got on the clothes. But the entire drum of the dryer was coated with sticky, linty ick. Sigh. Accidents happen, though of course they happen more often when someone (cough, DH, cough) just half-assedly wads a ball of tangled up laundry into the machine rather than putting each thing in there one by one. So I went to work armed with YouTube, a magic eraser, and a bunch of elbow grease. The dryer is now clean - and hey, and odd job! 

You poor soul!  I hope you gave yourself a nice treat tonight!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #308 on: March 09, 2017, 07:51:45 AM »
I haven't been adding much to the thread because for the most part my odd chore each day for the last couple weeks has been painting, painting, painting. I'm so excited with how fresh and clean my house is starting to look! And I couldn't fall asleep last night because of all the plans of the things I want to do next (painting kitchen cupboards and replacing bathroom vanity mostly) running through my head.

One other thing I did recently that I often neglect for way too long was cleaning the top of the stove fan hood. It gets SO greasy and dusty up there before I notice it. Yay for vinegar and baking soda!!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #309 on: March 10, 2017, 11:25:28 AM »
 OK, you guys inspired me. Today I scrubbed the filthy, nasty handprints off the doors around the handles. Then, I scrubbed the bloodspatter off of one section of wall (long story, not nearly as horrible as it sounds...)

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #310 on: March 10, 2017, 12:15:14 PM »
I dispensed dish soap from the large Costco container into the smaller container that sits by the sink. 

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #311 on: March 10, 2017, 12:49:04 PM »
OK, you guys inspired me. Today I scrubbed the filthy, nasty handprints off the doors around the handles. Then, I scrubbed the bloodspatter off of one section of wall (long story, not nearly as horrible as it sounds...) 

Oh my!  You can't leave us hanging like that ...

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #312 on: March 10, 2017, 01:56:35 PM »

This sounds like a horror movie set piece!

I vacuumed the inside of the AC return duct. Based on what it was like in there, I'm going to posit that no one had ever cleaned it from the time it was installed.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #313 on: March 10, 2017, 02:30:31 PM »
Did a little vacuuming, not just the floor but unplugging the hose from the machine to zip up the cat hair, carpet fluff, shredded sisal, and shredded cardboard flecks that land on the cat scratching tree.  It's one of those multi level ones that has carpet over most of the posts, sisal wrapped around one, and a cardboard scratch pad on an enticing incline.  It's looking pretty beat up, and the sisal has been fairly thoroughly shredded so that the bare wood shows underneath and the rope is hanging down.  In areas, the carpet is also worn through to the wood.  Am giving some thought to how I could patch/repair it with new rope (staple gun?  glue?) and small pieces of carpet.  Wonder if a carpeting store would give me some small off-cuts?  Unlike other cat trees I've owned in the past, this one has held up pretty well structurally, so I'd love to prolong its life.  Might take me a while to get to that project though!

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #314 on: March 10, 2017, 05:30:58 PM »
I gave my indoor cat a bath today, something I rarely do. I noticed he had a spot of dandruff at the base of his tail, so I googled recomendations. My house is quite dry in the winter. I have a humidifier in my bedroom but I really need to invest in a unit for the main floor as well. In any case, Google suggested a bath with straight water to see if it helps and then if no change in a few weeks to try pet dandruff shampoo. Surprisingly the cat was quite relaxed about the whole thing, which makes me suspicious.

After his bath I trimmed his nails because I figured if he was going to be annoyed with me, I should just do everything at once and face his cat wrath all at once. Surprisingly he was super mellow still!

I fully expect my cat is playing me and is planning the long con. He will probably smother me in my sleep tonight or smash my glass collection or something equally evil cat like when I am not expecting it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #315 on: March 10, 2017, 05:45:19 PM »
Pulled the dead leaves out of our japanese maple, raked stuff. Mowed the front lawn, raked the back yard, etc.

One nice day, and got lots of yard work done!

Firehazard

• Stubble
« Reply #316 on: March 10, 2017, 08:56:01 PM »
I detailed my gross looking old stainless steel toaster oven. A decade's worth of greasy residue and food splatter from being next to the main food prep area tackled with magic eraser and a good degreaser, and it shines like new!  The outside anyway, and the glass.  I need to do the inside next.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #317 on: March 10, 2017, 11:08:07 PM »
Repotted three plants that were really, really overdue for bigger pots.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #318 on: March 10, 2017, 11:40:12 PM »
I gave my indoor cat a bath today, something I rarely do. I noticed he had a spot of dandruff at the base of his tail, so I googled recomendations. My house is quite dry in the winter. I have a humidifier in my bedroom but I really need to invest in a unit for the main floor as well. In any case, Google suggested a bath with straight water to see if it helps and then if no change in a few weeks to try pet dandruff shampoo. Surprisingly the cat was quite relaxed about the whole thing, which makes me suspicious.

After his bath I trimmed his nails because I figured if he was going to be annoyed with me, I should just do everything at once and face his cat wrath all at once. Surprisingly he was super mellow still!

I fully expect my cat is playing me and is planning the long con. He will probably smother me in my sleep tonight or smash my glass collection or something equally evil cat like when I am not expecting it. 

LOL!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #319 on: March 11, 2017, 01:30:27 AM »
I dispensed dish soap from the large Costco container into the smaller container that sits by the sink.

Haha! My daughter likes to do this for me ... she likes to surprise me and say, "Look, the soap fairy has been here!"

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: March 11, 2017, 06:06:22 AM »
I detailed my gross looking old stainless steel toaster oven. A decade's worth of greasy residue and food splatter from being next to the main food prep area tackled with magic eraser and a good degreaser, and it shines like new!  The outside anyway, and the glass.  I need to do the inside next.

The great thing about this thread is that it is causing me to see tasks which have been neglected so long that I didn't notice them. I cleaned my toaster oven, too. I also wiped off the naughty little handprints about 2.5 feet high on our glass doors and windows... though of course there are already more now.

I also finally finished my son's cardigan, and he has worn it every day this week! He looks very handsome in it. And I repaired yet more pants. Only one pair of pants to go, plus three to hem, and my mending bag will be almost empty! The only thing left will be the handknit socks with holes in the heels. Oh, darn...

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #321 on: March 11, 2017, 07:11:38 AM »

Haha! My daughter likes to do this for me ... she likes to surprise me and say, "Look, the soap fairy has been here!"

That's so lovely!

I made more vinegar and water cleaner in a spray bottle so I have some on each floor of the house.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #322 on: March 11, 2017, 07:17:46 AM »

The great thing about this thread is that it is causing me to see tasks which have been neglected so long that I didn't notice them. I cleaned my toaster oven, too. I also wiped off the naughty little handprints about 2.5 feet high on our glass doors and windows... though of course there are already more now.

I also finally finished my son's cardigan, and he has worn it every day this week! He looks very handsome in it. And I repaired yet more pants. Only one pair of pants to go, plus three to hem, and my mending bag will be almost empty! The only thing left will be the handknit socks with holes in the heels. Oh, darn...

I see what you did there!

Good job with all the mending. And the pun.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #323 on: March 11, 2017, 07:34:42 AM »

Heh. I could, but the answer is one very sweet old Great Dane. When we get home, he wags his tail with great force (I have the bruises midthigh to prove it). Unfortunately, every now and then, in doing this he bangs just the tip of his tail on the wall with enough force to split the skin on the tip. Apparently this doesn't really hurt, because he keeps wagging, thus splattering little bitty spots of doggy blood on the wall behind him in pathetic and disgusting fashion until one of us can catch him by the tail and put pressure on it, then paint it with liquid bandage. This happened again recently, and I hadn't yet scrubbed the wall.

The handprints, by contrast, were just icky grime accumulate over a long time.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #324 on: March 11, 2017, 07:38:45 AM »

Heh. I could, but the answer is one very sweet old Great Dane. When we get home, he wags his tail with great force (I have the bruises midthigh to prove it). Unfortunately, every now and then, in doing this he bangs just the tip of his tail on the wall with enough force to split the skin on the tip. Apparently this doesn't really hurt, because he keeps wagging, thus splattering little bitty spots of doggy blood on the wall behind him in pathetic and disgusting fashion until one of us can catch him by the tail and put pressure on it, then paint it with liquid bandage. This happened again recently, and I hadn't yet scrubbed the wall.

Off-topic, but: I used to think docking tails was really inhumane. But my ILs have an un-docked boxer. She breaks her tail with great frequency. Like, once a month minimum. And also makes it bleed, like your dane. Suddenly I understand the practice of docking a LOT better. Dogs will hurt themselves in the name of joy. I think there's a metaphor in there, but I haven't had enough coffee to fill it out.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #325 on: March 11, 2017, 07:40:43 AM »

Off-topic, but: I used to think docking tails was really inhumane. But my ILs have an un-docked boxer. She breaks her tail with great frequency. Like, once a month minimum. And also makes it bleed, like your dane. Suddenly I understand the practice of docking a LOT better. Dogs will hurt themselves in the name of joy. I think there's a metaphor in there, but I haven't had enough coffee to fill it out.

The small injury two or three times a year is definitely not the equivalent of docking in this case. And nothing can make me understand ear docking in Danes that aren't actively hunting boar.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #326 on: March 11, 2017, 08:50:14 AM »
Need to get back to this thread after a long vacation. My odd chores list has ballooned due to vacation. Returned some stuff, posted a few things that need to get out the door, put back DD's clothes where they belong. Need to give the house a good vacuum but that can wait till tomorrow.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #327 on: March 11, 2017, 09:02:55 AM »
Good job with all the mending. And the pun.

>smirk< Thanks, Bracken_Joy. ;)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #328 on: March 11, 2017, 01:01:43 PM »
...bangs just the tip of his tail on the wall with enough force to split the skin on the tip.

WOW! I didn't know this happens. I truly could not imagine what innocent event was resulting in walls splattered with blood (and I tried!). Now I know!

It is sort of pitiful, but it seems to bother the people a great deal more than it bothers the dog.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #329 on: March 11, 2017, 04:30:17 PM »
Great balls of yarn, poundwise!  You are making great progress!

Rural, thanks for explaining.  Glad that it was such an innocent explanation - awww!  Poor doggy, and poor you for having to doctor him on a regular basis.  My old pitbull Taz had quite a hard wag of the tail too.  Yikes!  You didn't want to be in the way of it, that's for sure.  And my boxer/Fila mix came to me with tail already docked (though not her ears) and when I see her little stump going a mile a minute the way it does, it makes me wonder what her wag would have looked like otherwise!

So, for my odd job today, I'm about to go and move a few books from my "to be read" pile, into the donation/sell box.  I saw them earlier this week and have been pondering them.  They aren't necessarily books I would have chosen for myself, my dad bid on them at a silent auction a couple of years ago, and I think I took them from his "to be read" pile after he died, more out of sentimental reasons than anything else.  But they are more of a sad reminder of his passing than a joyful reminder of his love of reading, and the way he passed that down to all of us.  So they need to go!  I have better books to read if I want to think of him with a smile on my face.

Parents:  Read to your kids.  You teach them a valuable life skill, open up new worlds and new ways of thinking to them, and make valuable memories in the process!  :-)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #330 on: March 12, 2017, 04:46:45 AM »

Huh. I so like this task, I wouldn't have even considered it a chore. Does that make me a soap fairy? Oh, I hope so.

They've all been filled this week*, so score one more chore for Dicey! Can I count each bottle as one chore? No? Darn!

*Well, except the one that my MIL is hiding in her bottom drawer. She does that when it's empty and I haven't had a chance to grab it yet.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #331 on: March 12, 2017, 01:09:53 PM »
Weeded the front- that little strip between the sidewalk and the curb. I'm hoping getting to them when they're little will keep it from being as bad during the summer (as if...). Also did the seams between the concrete pads of our driveway.

DH is helping the ILs pull down an old wood patio cover that's rotting. Slowly, sloooooowly, they'll get that house ready to sell. *sigh*

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #332 on: March 12, 2017, 01:50:59 PM »

Huh. I so like this task, I wouldn't have even considered it a chore. Does that make me a soap fairy? Oh, I hope so.

They've all been filled this week*, so score one more chore for Dicey! Can I count each bottle as one chore? No? Darn!

*Well, except the one that my MIL is hiding in her bottom drawer. She does that when it's empty and I haven't had a chance to grab it yet.
MIL's soap dispenser filled and back on the counter in her bathroom. Check. I told DH about the soap fairy thing. He laughed. I'm not sure if it was in a good way through.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #333 on: March 12, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »
Well the thread took an unusual turn there, glad it was such an innocent explanation in the end. :)

Inspired by you guys I filled up my soap dispenser in the kitchen.

Then scrubbed my bathroom like a mad woman, a real deep clean of the shower and tiles.

I started cleaning out / organizing my upstairs freezer (had to stop when my hand were freezing) I will complete this one tomorrow as well as check to see that my fridge has nothing that has been hanging around for too long.

I organized my tea into a small "tea drawer." I still have some tea that doesn't fit into my drawer but I am proud to say I have not bought tea since before Christmas (although I did receive some for Christmas) this is quite the accomplishment for me. The goal is to keep just a modest selection that I can use up and rotate new flavours in more frequently.

I then organized my recycling and crushed a ton of cans from a gathering I had. This will save me some time tomorrow on recycling night.

Monday I am going to cook a few bulk meals for the week, clean out my trunk, reorganize my pantry that is slowly being depleted (yeah!) and wash my couch covers. We are supposed to get quite a bit of snow so I might have to add shovelling to that list. Should be a busy night after work.

Peony

• Bristles
« Reply #334 on: March 12, 2017, 03:33:11 PM »
I sorted out an old sewing basket that was full of crap that came from who-knows-where. Tossed all the little broken bits and bent needles and tangled thread. Put everything back nicely. Then, because I had sewing stuff handy, I stitched up the holey right-hand pocket of my winter coat, which had been letting pens, gloves, coins, etc. fall down into my coat lining. Great feeling to be able to place my phone in that pocket again without worrying that it will disappear.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #335 on: March 12, 2017, 04:49:14 PM »
We finally figured out how to play a board game we've had for the past year - 7 Wonders.  Super fun, quick strategy game that's challenging enough to keep playing but simple enough for the kids to grasp. Is it really a chore, you ask? Well, it's something we have been putting off because of how many different pieces the game has, and how convoludedly the instructions explain what is actually a very straightforward game mechanic. But now, we have a new game in our vast nerdy board game arsenal!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #336 on: March 13, 2017, 12:08:02 AM »
I mended a shirt. And I made donut keychains out of socks with my daughter for a school project. How's that for odd?  ;)

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #337 on: March 13, 2017, 06:14:33 AM »
Well the thread took an unusual turn there, glad it was such an innocent explanation in the end. :)

Inspired by you guys I filled up my soap dispenser in the kitchen.

Then scrubbed my bathroom like a mad woman, a real deep clean of the shower and tiles.

I started cleaning out / organizing my upstairs freezer (had to stop when my hand were freezing) I will complete this one tomorrow as well as check to see that my fridge has nothing that has been hanging around for too long.

I organized my tea into a small "tea drawer." I still have some tea that doesn't fit into my drawer but I am proud to say I have not bought tea since before Christmas (although I did receive some for Christmas) this is quite the accomplishment for me. The goal is to keep just a modest selection that I can use up and rotate new flavours in more frequently.

I then organized my recycling and crushed a ton of cans from a gathering I had. This will save me some time tomorrow on recycling night.

Monday I am going to cook a few bulk meals for the week, clean out my trunk, reorganize my pantry that is slowly being depleted (yeah!) and wash my couch covers. We are supposed to get quite a bit of snow so I might have to add shovelling to that list. Should be a busy night after work.

It occurs to me that one could wear gloves when moving stuff around in the freezer, and not suffer the pain (even though we know it's just electrical signals, it still hurts!) I'll try to remember to do this next time I'm handling frozen stuff indoors.

I'm a little stuck on odd chores, because I've run out of easy ones, and a lot of the remaining ones are major projects. I did tack on an oversized outlet cover to my wife's Amazon order last night, so I'll be able to install it in a couple of days. Time to get going on those projects, I guess.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #338 on: March 13, 2017, 07:46:08 AM »
Finished painting Phase 3:Hallway yesterday! All the doorknobs, baseboards, etc are back up too. On to Phase 4:Kitchen. I'll be so glad when this project is finished, but I'm loving the way my house is starting to look, fresh and clean. :D

Also I cleaned the top of the fridge. SO dusty and gross and I'm too short to have noticed until I got up on the ladder to paint.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #339 on: March 13, 2017, 08:32:14 AM »
I'm posting this for accountability. Instead of lazing in bed reading the forum, I'm going to get up and do an expense report. I do hospitality for a large group I belong to and haven't submitted a single receipt for reimbursement this season, which started in October. We have a board meeting today, so I can turn it in to the treasurer. I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least $250. Ack. I'll report back later.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #340 on: March 13, 2017, 08:57:02 AM »
I started converting super old DVDs of my daughter as a baby to MP4 files. This weekend we were watching baby videos and realized all the easily accessible ones were of our son, who is younger and thus benefited from smart phone video! So, to the computer and to Handbrake I go.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #341 on: March 13, 2017, 05:12:04 PM »
It occurs to me that one could wear gloves when moving stuff around in the freezer, and not suffer the pain (even though we know it's just electrical signals, it still hurts!) I'll try to remember to do this next time I'm handling frozen stuff indoors.

It's funny that you said that, it only occurred to me afterwards, I should have worn gloves! I'm Canadian for crying out loud, I was practically born with mittens on!!!!

So this evening I have done a fridge clean out, got my recycling and garbage to the curb. I'm catching up on laundry (one more load) and I have tidied up the house a bit. However, I am quite tired and don't think I am going to tackle too much more. I did change my shower liner, which is kinda an odd chore.

It's bitterly cold out today, a big storm is coming and all I want to do is snuggle on the couch in my pjs, with a blanket, book and tea. I have a lilac scented candle burning and my house smells like spring so I think I will save my batch cooking until tomorrow, I just want to smell lilacs not food!!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #342 on: March 13, 2017, 05:21:57 PM »
How many days can I count doing our taxes?

Today I did go "interview" to volunteer at a cat rescue thrift store.  I'll go in for a couple hours to learn the ropes, and then hopefully I'll be on the schedule for Thursday afternoons.  For a while I've been wanting to find a secular volunteer position that didn't require Saturday mornings!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #343 on: March 13, 2017, 08:13:39 PM »
I haven't been updating the thread, but I *have* been making sure I get around to at least one odd chore a day :-) and it's fun reading along with everyone!

I think window washing should be next on my list...

Firehazard

• Stubble
« Reply #344 on: March 13, 2017, 08:45:59 PM »
Last weekend tackled the spring pruning of all of the rose bushes in my front yard and fertilized all the shrubs and other plants out there.  I was rewarded in the short term with many bloddy thorn pokes in my fingers.  Should have a great flush of roses in a few weeks for my real reward.  I love springtime!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #345 on: March 13, 2017, 11:16:04 PM »
Last weekend tackled the spring pruning of all of the rose bushes in my front yard and fertilized all the shrubs and other plants out there.  I was rewarded in the short term with many bloddy thorn pokes in my fingers.  Should have a great flush of roses in a few weeks for my real reward.  I love springtime! 

You obviously don't live where I do! 

I'm huddled on a couch with a blanket, like LindseyC, watching the snow falling outside!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #346 on: March 14, 2017, 12:17:51 AM »
Today I filled my mini minivan with bags of plastic bags that my work place has gathered and took them to the recycling center. In the rain, which makes me even more of a baddass, yes? (I mean, I live in Oregon, of course it was in the rain. But it sounds good!)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #347 on: March 14, 2017, 09:13:47 AM »
Washed the underside of the stove hood/fan AND washed the kitchen walls. Filled all the dents and holes with drywall mud.

Today my odd chore is to fix the oven outlet (reattach it back on the wall, which may involve a small drywall project) and if that doesn't take too long, sand the kitchen walls before priming.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #348 on: March 14, 2017, 04:57:16 PM »
I cleaned lock n lock containers today with a baking soda paste to remove any odors and such.  Also washed out containers I keep from my beauty products.  If they are good and reusable I try to save them.  I also tackled 2 boxes of documents and sorted it all out.  I havent made a dent in the paperwork but at least I got started.  Loved having the day off.  It was so productive.

I am looking forward to keeping this up until I have everything done.  #keepmotivated

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #349 on: March 15, 2017, 05:56:51 AM »
My odd job for today will be to fix all the roller blinds in our house that no longer roll up.  Now I've said it, I have to do it!