Author Topic: One "Odd" chore a day  (Read 165022 times)

centwise

• Stubble
Re: One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #250 on: March 03, 2017, 02:26:41 PM »
I just noticed this thread. Thank you for starting it. What a great idea. I need to get out of my rut and do some of these "odd chores". I'll be back later to report.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #251 on: March 03, 2017, 05:18:21 PM »
Ok I have been pretty good about daily chores or at least catching up ever other day. Today I am just feeling lazy and other than a few regular chores, I don't have it in me to do any odd ones. This weekend I will definitely buckle down. :)

If I don't post by Sunday night with a serious list, someone give me a kick in the butt!

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #252 on: March 03, 2017, 09:21:39 PM »
Hmm. I think all these odd chores are interfering with my regular chores. Today I caulked and did touch-up grouting in our bathroom, and did some more trim caulking and painting. But now the house looks crazy because all the stuff for doing that is out, and I didn't do my normal cleaning. I think I need to do some much smaller odd chores for a bit!

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #253 on: March 04, 2017, 06:11:13 AM »
  • Fix hanger for frame in bedroom

Assigned a dozen or more odd chores to my wife after she volunteered to do some odd chores -- woohoo!

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #254 on: March 04, 2017, 07:23:08 AM »
I'm sorting through my old childhood Legos and selling them. They have been collecting dust in my basement for about 9 years now.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #255 on: March 04, 2017, 09:15:27 AM »
When I was a child in the UK my grandmother had a pulley clothes airer on her kitchen ceiling. Like this:

http://www.pulleymaid.com/classic_clothes_airer.htm

I had bought the cast iron parts for it about 8 years ago from the UK but the laths are prohibitively expensive to ship and I couldn't source any of quite the right size in the US. I finally decided last weekend to just buy some oak trim strip and cut it into four pieces and sand the edges, and figure out a way to keep them from falling through the holes. My wife added little nuts and bolts to each strip end, and I hung it from the garage ceiling last night. We have exposed redwood ceiling beams in the garage and a spot where I can locate it where it is out of the way of the cars.

I'm so pleased to finally have one of these. I have a large floor standing clothes rack, but it is awkward to set up for just a few things.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #256 on: March 04, 2017, 10:00:08 AM »
Wow, mies!!!! Every aspect of that sounds like a biggie!

It's actually not too bad. I've been selling Legos online since late 2008.

I have been holding on to some of my shabbier pieces that I actually used to play with as a kid. I'm just warning people in the description about dust and teeth marks. Some of those pieces were impossible to separate with my hands when I was a boy. I had to pitch several pieces that looked like the went through a wood chipper :D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 12:16:47 PM by mies »

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: March 04, 2017, 10:23:24 AM »
I have a tub of latex stuff that you paint on the back of mats, etc. to make them non-slip.  I finally got around to touching up some bath mats that were starting to peel at the back.  I'm hoping to get another year or two out of them with this repair.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #258 on: March 04, 2017, 10:25:16 AM »
When I was a child in the UK my grandmother had a pulley clothes airer on her kitchen ceiling. Like this:

http://www.pulleymaid.com/classic_clothes_airer.htm

I had one of these...just a regular metal drying rack on pulleys. Need to do this in the new house. Guess that gives me another odd chore. Thanks, I think.

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #259 on: March 04, 2017, 11:16:49 AM »
I'm just noticing this thread now and I'm inspired! Can I join?

The last five days I've been cleaning one shelf/section in my library each day. It was so horribly messy that I just couldn't do it all at once, but I am finding success at organising and cleaning just a little bit each day - I think this strategy has changed my life! =)

So now I'm off to do the next section!

QueenV

• Stubble
« Reply #260 on: March 04, 2017, 09:06:30 PM »
My last two weeks have been busy and I was sick in the middle of them so haven't accomplished much.  But I am slowly going through piles of paper/mail and recycling most of it and filing the important papers.  Also labeled some new file folders and reorganized folders a bit to make things easier to find.

Today my odd job was rearranging some furniture (finally!  I've been trying to accomplish this for two months!)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:23:50 PM by QueenV »

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #261 on: March 04, 2017, 10:41:47 PM »
I'm just noticing this thread now and I'm inspired! Can I join?

The last five days I've been cleaning one shelf/section in my library each day. It was so horribly messy that I just couldn't do it all at once, but I am finding success at organising and cleaning just a little bit each day - I think this strategy has changed my life! =)

So now I'm off to do the next section! 

Nangirl17, welcome! 

I am (slowly) cleaning my fridge the same way :-)

Today though, as I did a full scale "pull out the furniture and vacuum underneath" type cleaning in the spare bedroom that I have set up as a dining room, I decided to tackle a fix that I've need to do for a while.  I have a small bookshelf in that room right under the window, because one of my cats loves hanging out in there but the window sills are very narrow.  There is nothing on the bookshelf, it's really just a cat perch :-)  Anyway, more than a year ago, I stumbled and ended up stepping on the bottom shelf, and since it's just cheap particle board, it broke.  I never did anything with it, because it's not fixable and I didn't want to throw it out and have to replace it. 

It kind of looks like this one, but there are more cross pieces, it's not just the shelves that connect the legs together:

Anyway, today I decided that the third option was to just remove the bottom shelf.  No huge impact structurally, and easier to vacuum underneath!  Took a bit of work to figure out how to get it off, required undoing some of the screws, and ultimately, breaking the shelf a bit more (it was ultimately held in place with a couple of pieces of dowel, and I didn't want to undo all the screws to take it out properly).  But, I got it done!

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #262 on: March 05, 2017, 06:03:35 AM »

Nangirl17, welcome! 

I am (slowly) cleaning my fridge the same way :-)

Thanks, PJ!

The fridge needs to be my next project - I despise that job, probably because I let it get so disgusting between cleanings!!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #263 on: March 05, 2017, 12:05:04 PM »
Today I am cleaning some kid's toys out in the garage.  DS is 35, with a little boy of his own now.  Whatever isn't wanted for grandson will be sold.  For years, DS called it "the junk in the garage".  Now he calls it "the goldmine in the garage".  :-D    He's sold over $2000 worth of stuff from there so far. (Star Wars, Transformers, etc.  I saved the good stuff!).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #264 on: March 05, 2017, 12:09:38 PM »
Today I am cleaning some kid's toys out in the garage.  DS is 35, with a little boy of his own now.  Whatever isn't wanted for grandson will be sold.  For years, DS called it "the junk in the garage".  Now he calls it "the goldmine in the garage".  :-D    He's sold over $2000 worth of stuff from there so far. (Star Wars, Transformers, etc.  I saved the good stuff!).
Hope he's at least splitting the proceeds with you, especially since you curated his stuff and stored it for decades, lol!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #265 on: March 05, 2017, 12:31:00 PM »
Hope he's at least splitting the proceeds with you, especially since you curated his stuff and stored it for decades, lol!

Nah.  He offered, but they were all gifts to him when he was a kid, and it was no problem storing it.  He does all our IT work whenever he comes to visit, so I consider it a fair trade. (DH is awful with computers, and is forever buggering something up.)  He did compliment me on how well I've been packing everything up for him though - says all he needs to do is unpack, photograph, and wait for someone to come and give him money.  :-D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 02:36:00 PM by Shinplaster »

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #266 on: March 05, 2017, 05:31:29 PM »
I poured a bunch of bleach on the tile floor of our shower. I was going to scrub but then decided to see what would happen if I just let it sit. The grout now looks amazing! Where has bleach been all my life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #267 on: March 05, 2017, 06:02:56 PM »
Today:

• Clean garbage disposal
  • Prop up broken wheel of coffee table

The latter is an ongoing project/minor dispute between DW and I. The coffee table is very heavy, with a 3-inch slab of particle board, and then an inch-thick glass top. There are 4-inch wheels that are screwed into the particle board about 3/4". So over the years, as the table has been moved, the wheels have ripped out of their sockets. I've glued, used plastic wood, banned the coffee table, relented, and now propped up one corner with a piece of 2x4. She loves the table, so I'm suggesting that we put some blocky legs on it, and make it non-rollable.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #268 on: March 05, 2017, 07:00:42 PM »
-Contacted an old acquaintance about getting together.  I'd been putting it off but her father recently passed away unexpectedly, so....
-Hemmed pants.  Did a terrible job, but I hate rolling them up more.
-Got most of the bulky trash pulled out for pickup.  Still have to cruise the rental properties and pull out anything I can. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #269 on: March 05, 2017, 07:39:06 PM »
Another Loser* Report: It's my birthday, and I'm sick. I made brunch for my family and did three loads of laundry today and completely ran out of energy. DH wants to go out for dinner, but I'm not up to it. Take-out Pad Thai is looking like it's going to be the birthday dinner of choice. I even cancelled my Eye Dr. Appointment for tomorrow, as I'm sure they don't want my germy germs.

Oh well, tomorrow's another day. I love seeing what everyone else is getting done, so thanks for letting me tag along.

*You get that I'm joking,riiiight? 'Cuz no one who's FIRE is ever a loser, no matter how little we get done.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #270 on: March 05, 2017, 08:03:32 PM »
Happy B-day DianeC !!!!!

I skipped the odd chore today :) but will do it tomorrow...wrap up an assignment

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #271 on: March 05, 2017, 08:16:35 PM »
Another Loser* Report: It's my birthday, and I'm sick. I made brunch for my family and did three loads of laundry today and completely ran out of energy. DH wants to go out for dinner, but I'm not up to it. Take-out Pad Thai is looking like it's going to be the birthday dinner of choice. I even cancelled my Eye Dr. Appointment for tomorrow, as I'm sure they don't want my germy germs.

Oh well, tomorrow's another day. I love seeing what everyone else is getting done, so thanks for letting me tag along.

*You get that I'm joking,riiiight? 'Cuz no one who's FIRE is ever a loser, no matter how little we get done.

Happy Birthday!

QueenV

• Stubble
« Reply #272 on: March 05, 2017, 09:41:05 PM »
Today I emptied a moving box that's been sitting in my office along with a few other random things and found better homes for all of them.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #273 on: March 06, 2017, 07:41:16 AM »
You know even when you guys take the odd day off its still motivational because it makes me realize that everyone takes the odd day off and it's not the end of the world. And on your birthday (especially while sick) you SHOULD take the day off!!

I am babysitting two dogs for a friend from Sunday until Wednesday morning. One dog is older, sleeps quite a bit and is the worlds most well behaved dog. The other one is much younger, energetic and while a very nice dog is not necessarily as well behaved. They are both wonderful though and have me in constant smiles. I have missed having a dog in my house. My poor cat is not taking it well and so far has remained hidden from the dogs, even though both of them are completely cat friendly.

So my odd chore is kinda babysitting since it's hard to get much else done with my energetic shadow following me around "helping" I cleaned off a teak shelving unit of all my precious vintage art glass in case the dogs bumped it, so while the shelves were clear I decided to oil the wood. Well I was sitting on the floor oiling lower shelves and my helper was licking up the oil as fast as I was rubbing it in. Good thing I used mineral oil (not linseed as I normally do) because I had a small bit to use up in a bottle. Given what mineral oil is used for in the human body, I thought it best to stop that task :)

I wasn't even able to make the bed because while I would remove one of them to fluff the sheets out, another jumped up, remove him and repeat. They are good dogs and I could just tell them to both stay on the floor but they are just to darn comical and the game was fun. These dogs are going home completely spoiled!!!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: March 06, 2017, 10:18:20 AM »
Today I will be babyproofing our main floor.  I haven't had to do this in over 30 years, but newly crawling grandson is coming for a visit next week, so I'd better get busy.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #275 on: March 06, 2017, 10:24:38 AM »
FWIW: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linseed_oil#Spontaneous_combustion

I love the look of linseed oil and used it many times. Just heard this last week though.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #276 on: March 06, 2017, 11:11:35 AM »
What a great chore to have to do, Shinplaster!

Last night, not today - I have a few places in my house that tend to accumulate clutter.  My end tables in the living room, and coffee table too, for example.  Last night I went through a bunch of books stacked on one end table, and sorted out 6 of them - 5 for donation/sell box, and 1 to be returned to my mom.  Still a lot of other books there though!

Must.make.more.time.to.read.(something.other.than.internet.forums!)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #277 on: March 06, 2017, 11:17:21 AM »
Well, I haven't been keeping a one-a-day pace, but it's more than my default, and I'm getting lots of ideas, so I still count it as a win. =)

Today I washed our quilted mattress cover thingee. It stretches out over time and then bunches up funny. Nice to 'reset' it!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: March 06, 2017, 11:38:17 AM »
I haven't posted in a while - a combination of not getting to one odd chore every day and being slammed at work last week, leaving little time for posting.

But here are a few from the last week:
-found a CPA to take on our tax disaster at this late date
-multiple calls to a doctor's office to take care of billing difficulties
-went through a bunch of old papers
-did a few more steps to get our new bathroom fan installed
-ordered some supplies for my next two DIY home projects - installing a transfer grille in DD's room, and figuring out what is up with my mystery light switches.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #279 on: March 06, 2017, 01:29:06 PM »
I haven't had to do this in over 30 years, but newly crawling grandson is coming for a visit next week, so I'd better get busy.

:)))))

: ))))) indeed!  And bonus - while I was rearranging things, I found a bowl that belonged to DS's dinosaur dish set when he was a kid.  He's going to be happy to see that - he was asking the other day what happened to it.  (all the other pieces were tossed, because they were battered and discoloured).

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #280 on: March 06, 2017, 01:59:07 PM »
I'm short of potholders but have lots of extra sturdy flat weave cotton teatowels (dish towels) so yesterday I trimmed the finished hems off one of them folded it into 8 layers and stitched round the edges. I used a piece of the cut off hem to make a hanging loop to insert in one corner. I had done one before and liked how it turned out, but hadn't gotten round to making a second.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #281 on: March 06, 2017, 02:15:25 PM »
FWIW: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linseed_oil#Spontaneous_combustion

I love the look of linseed oil and used it many times. Just heard this last week though.

My grandfather did lots of woodworking and cabinetry and he always soaked his rags in cold water before hand washing them. I always wondered why he washed them everytime when they were basically clean, just covered in oil. Maybe that's why.

I really like linseed for my teak furniture but I tried the mineral oil I had left over from doing my butcher block counters and wooden cutting boards and I have to say so far it's absorbing nicely and the colour/finish feels nice. I might switch simply because mineral oil is so much cheaper. (And apparently safer)

Thank you for the warning!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #282 on: March 06, 2017, 02:39:34 PM »
I just finished, nay we just finished an odd chore I think I'll go back to paying someone to do...  We replaced the air filter in the car.  Now way back, that would have required spinning a wing nut and 2 minutes, but on the Chevy HHR, with the "world's most secure air filter" we had to disengage 2 hoses, a MAF sensor, yank the air box off 3 grommets (yes, it took both of us to get one of them loose), remove the air box, turn it over, and unscrew 7 (seven) Torx screws.  Drop in the new filter (which was hardly dirty, but after all that, it's getting changed), and reverse the process. 

Now I know why the filter was $7.40, but the shop charged $40 last time.

Then to make things even more fun, we replaced the cabin filter, which was not as difficult, but still scraped a few knuckles on sharp plastic edges while bent double trying to see behind the glove box into the slot it "fits" into.  Similarly, a $40 fix for a $12 filter.  That one I'll do.  But the air filter...  I need a drink.

QueenV

• Stubble
« Reply #283 on: March 06, 2017, 06:08:18 PM »
Geekette, that air filter job sounds terrible! I would pay someone else to do it as well, yikes!

Today I moved some items into the garage for storage (so glad to have them out of my way!)  I also worked on clearing off the extra table in my home office.  My goal is to get rid of the table to make more space and I've got most of the stuff cleared off now.  I'm hoping to have this finished this week!

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #284 on: March 06, 2017, 06:17:15 PM »
I finally got through to someone at my old cable provider to get my credit refunded. This had been hanging out there for more than 18 months. (moving abroad and traveling can cause chaos).

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #285 on: March 06, 2017, 07:11:08 PM »
The bleach I used to clean my shower tile melted the caulk! Boo. So I redid that today again. Lesson learned!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: March 06, 2017, 08:16:35 PM »
The bleach I used to clean my shower tile melted the caulk! Boo. So I redid that today again. Lesson learned!

Ah, crap! I had been so happy for you!

I remember discovering bleach, relatively recently... I was so excited. "Oh! This is why folks use the stuff! What other dangerous chemicals can accomplish such delightful wonders in my life?!?!" hee!

I discovered bleach about 2.5 years ago at work.  I work in a small office and do a little bit of cleaning there.  One thing I do is clean the dish rack.  One of my coworkers said to put a few inches of water into the sink, add bleach and let it sit for about 20 minutes.  The dish rack comes out squeaky clean with very little scrubbing! 

Okay, my chore for tomorrow, if I don't have any snow shoveling to do, is to clean the last pane of glass in my sliding door.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #287 on: March 07, 2017, 12:14:14 AM »

Ah, crap! I had been so happy for you!

I remember discovering bleach, relatively recently... I was so excited. "Oh! This is why folks use the stuff! What other dangerous chemicals can accomplish such delightful wonders in my life?!?!" hee!
I was worried when I read this. Try vinegar instead, it's a lot less corrosive than straight bleach and if you accidentally slosh it, it doesn't ruin any colored textiles it lands on.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: March 07, 2017, 12:57:20 AM »
If you do need to use straight bleach on something though (like the dish rack) make sure you make the most of it though.  I would use it at the same time to get all the tea/coffee stains out of my mugs - it's like magic on those!  (But they need a thorough washing after, to get rid of the bleach!)

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #289 on: March 07, 2017, 05:58:03 AM »
Yeah, vinegar remains my go-to. Speaking of which, the weather is finally less cold again, so it's off to clean more windows with vinegar and wafer for me!

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #290 on: March 07, 2017, 11:56:43 AM »
I soak leftover citrus peels in white vinegar for a couple of days then strain it back into the bottle before using it for the first time. It helps mask the vinegar smell a bit. 

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #291 on: March 07, 2017, 01:26:06 PM »
I made freezer biscuits for my Mom today.  She's 87, and trying to mostly use her toaster oven rather than the big oven.  So I mix up the dough, cut the biscuits out, and freeze them without baking.  Then she can just pop them in the toaster oven for 20 minutes, and have fresh, homemade biscuits whenever she wants.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #292 on: March 07, 2017, 01:43:51 PM »
I made freezer biscuits for my Mom today.  She's 87, and trying to mostly use her toaster oven rather than the big oven.  So I mix up the dough, cut the biscuits out, and freeze them without baking.  Then she can just pop them in the toaster oven for 20 minutes, and have fresh, homemade biscuits whenever she wants.

Aww, that's lovely.  I'd love to get my mom (70's but living alone for the first time) to buy and use a toaster oven instead of the big oven.  Seems so wasteful when she, for instance, heats up the whole oven to make a baked pototo.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #293 on: March 07, 2017, 02:03:49 PM »

Aww, that's lovely.  I'd love to get my mom (70's but living alone for the first time) to buy and use a toaster oven instead of the big oven.  Seems so wasteful when she, for instance, heats up the whole oven to make a baked pototo.

Don't give up hope.  It took years to convince my Mom to try one.  She knew I had one and used it all the time, but was stubborn and said no.  It finally took an episode of her losing her balance slightly over an open oven door to convince her that maybe the toaster oven was a better idea.  She didn't actually fall and burn herself, but it scared her a little.  It was near Christmas, so my sister bought her a lovely one as a gift.  She loves it now, and cooks almost all her meals in it.  If not there, the microwave (which also took years to convince her to try!)  :-D

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #294 on: March 07, 2017, 02:20:31 PM »
Toaster biscuits sounds like a great idea!

I do most of my cleaning with vinegar as well, but recently I bought a bleached based Clorox cleaner for the tile in my bathroom and I can't believe how easy it was to clean all the grout and tiles and how shiny it made them. Still the smell stuck around for a few days and it was kinda harsh. So now I mostly clean with vinegar and once a month I use the bleach.

I also clean a lot with my steam cleaner unit and use no chemicals just water. I love cleaning my windows and screens with the steam cleaner. I have old fashioned panes I have to pull out so I just take them outside and clean them on a tarp on the lawn. The steam really breaks down any dirt on the screens so they look brand new after a quick scrub with a brush.

QueenV

• Stubble
« Reply #295 on: March 07, 2017, 08:43:06 PM »
Speaking of toaster ovens, my odd job was removing and cleaning the crumb tray at the bottom of mine and wiping off the glass door.  PJ, hopefully your mom will come around on the toaster oven, I absolutely love mine!

My other odd job today was taking photos of two broken water bottles so I can email the companies and see if they'll replace them.  Actually writing and sending the emails will be tomorrow's odd job.  :)

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #296 on: March 08, 2017, 10:43:36 AM »
I took the dogs home this morning that I had been dog sitting. They were so much fun and I loved my puppy play time, but man did they leave a mess behind. I'm working from home, it's just past noon and I have been doing the work an hour / clean for twenty, cycle all morning. I currently have 3 loads of laundry hung up and drying and I have emptied my vacuum twice already! Who knew two dogs could generate so much fur.

My odd chore, I have a family members laptop to repair and I am also going to wash the covers on my couch/chair if I have enough drying space after I do my 4th load of laundry. I went crazy and decided to wash all my sheets, duvet cover and blankets since the dogs were playing in my bed.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #297 on: March 08, 2017, 12:46:57 PM »
...snip

Who knew two dogs could generate so much fur.

...snip

I knew!

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #298 on: March 08, 2017, 12:53:50 PM »
...snip

...snip

I knew!

:) I have had dogs before but my last dog was a tiny Jack Russel so while he shedded, there wasn't enough fur on him to make a massive mess. My cat sheds too and he is a monster but I will no longer be complaining about his fur!

My entire basement is filled with hung laundry. I get such a sense of satisfaction looking at it all, which is kinda weird but I am embracing it anyways. I won't be able to do couch cushions today as I have plum run out of drying space. Fixing a laptop it is!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #299 on: March 08, 2017, 01:00:54 PM »
...snip

...snip

I knew!

:) I have had dogs before but my last dog was a tiny Jack Russel so while he shedded, there wasn't enough fur on him to make a massive mess. My cat sheds too and he is a monster but I will no longer be complaining about his fur!

My entire basement is filled with hung laundry. I get such a sense of satisfaction looking at it all, which is kinda weird but I am embracing it anyways. I won't be able to do couch cushions today as I have plum run out of drying space. Fixing a laptop it is!

Different kinds of dogs mean different types and quantities of fur, for sure!

My mom has a golden retriever.  Light, fluffy, large dust bunnies are the result.

I've had two dogs at the same time, my old pit bull (now gone) and my boxer/Fila Brasiliero mix.  Short haired dogs, dark fur.  Doesn't clump up as much, but it's there!  Lots and lots of it!  When it mixes with the long haired cat's fur, that's when the dust bunnies form. 

(Yes, I also have 3 cats.  I'm an equal opportunity crazy pet lady.)