Author Topic: One "Odd" chore a day  (Read 164835 times)

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
Re: One "Odd" chore a day
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2017, 08:30:46 AM »
Threw out 2 things from the fridge that were well past their best before dates. 

Found frozen plums from last summer, so i'm going to make a plum-apple crisp today or tomorrow.  My husband is happy.  :)

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2017, 09:22:48 AM »
Yesterday, an exploding dinner prompted a microwave clean-out.

This morning, I went through all my filed documents, shredded really old stuff, and filed the stuff I had sorted earlier this week.  I also finally signed up for my social security.gov account.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2017, 09:31:26 AM »
Removed a bottom drawer of a dresser in order to get the furniture glide fixed.  Amazing amount of dust had accumulated under there too.  Great to get one of those low-level annoying things finally done.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2017, 12:14:27 PM »
Fixed the shower! Got the new cartridge, and it looks like it'll work. =)

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2017, 04:04:12 PM »
Weird odd chore for me today. My neighbours father passed away and she needed to get into his two laptops for digital copies of papers and banking information. So my chore was to bypass his Windows passwords. I have done this frequently but never on a Windows 7 or 10 machine. I am deeply concerned with how easy it was, significantly older OSs were harder then the modern ones. Yikes!

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2017, 04:15:20 PM »
Just took a feather duster to the cobwebs in every ceiling corner.  We usually notice these just as we fall asleep and then I forget the next day. Done!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »
Washed the living room curtains... they've had nasty little handprints on them forever where Baby Poundwise uses them as napkins.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2017, 07:40:26 PM »
Finished priming the bedroom! Painting starts tomorrow. My plan was to get one room done per month, but Feb has proven extremely productive so far. Good thing, since I'm going to be away for 10 days later this month.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2017, 09:00:35 PM »
Finished priming the bedroom! Painting starts tomorrow. My plan was to get one room done per month, but Feb has proven extremely productive so far. Good thing, since I'm going to be away for 10 days later this month.

Nice! I repainted my son's room two weeks ago, and it is a little backbreaking! Especially when you can't move the furniture out of the room and just have to paint around it. I'm impressed with your room per month plan.

Today I went through the pens/pencils/highlighters/etc drawer to figure out which pens actually work and which ones were just thrown in there in frustration. Threw out about half that had exploded or dried out.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2017, 10:13:08 PM »
I kept seeing this thread pop up and I wanted to avoid it...   But here I am and this morning, i took an expired container of hummus from the back of the fridge, cleaned it out and recycled the container. 

I am cheering the rest of you on!

I also didn't read this thread for the first little while it was running, but then I peeked in and saw what a great job you're all doing.  Not sure how regularly I'll play, but for today, I have a really odd one:

I wrapped Christmas presents!

I was really really organized this year, and bought chocolates and keychains for my (volunteer) core leadership team at the church - in November.  I was also going to bake for them, and I also got a gift for our admin asst nice and early.  Then came December, and two things happened.  First, we got hit with a string of funerals - so many funerals!  Those take up a lot of time, to plan and execute.  Then, I got sick just before Christmas - 2 weeks with the flu, then it turned into bronchitis and I ended up on antibiotics.

I suddenly realized that those chocolates were still stashed away in an unused cupboard! 

Well, I'm not going to get around to baking now, we're into another busy period getting ready for our annual general meeting, with budgeting etc.  So I did a simple wrapping with a strip of tissue paper around the boxes of chocolates, added a ribbon and tied the keychains on, and I'll give them out tomorrow.  Good timing too, because I bought chocolates for the guy doing a student placement with us too, then realized that he can't have them (nut allergy), and he will be away tomorrow.  (This also means I get to eat those chocolates - yum!  Lindt with coconut, and Lindt with caramel and sea salt!)

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2017, 04:01:56 AM »
Not even 6am here and I completed my planned odd chore for the day. Yesterday I rescued some small Christmas decorated evergreens that Home Depot was selling for 75% off. (A Norfolk Pine and a Blue Cypress) I had a potted plant that was never healthy and looked awful, so I composted it and planted my two new plants in pots this morning. I already have a much larger Norfolk in my house that is super healthy and seems to like my house, so I wanted another.

BONUS: the cat won't eat evergreens!

I already had the pots and dirt, so for less than $6 I have some nice plants that help keep the winter blues away!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2017, 10:14:05 AM »
Well, I checked in to the forum and this popped up.  I guess today is cleaning the fridge with a damp sponge day.   

Off I go. 

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2017, 10:53:03 AM »
I have a lot of fun reading these gauntlet challenges, and I think I'll join in this one!  I keep a list of odd chores that should keep me busy for a while.

Today I'm going to knock out a few - clean the dishwasher, clean the washer, and replace the HVAC filter.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2017, 11:18:42 AM »
A guest mentioned that our guest room gets rather bright in the morning, even with the drapes closed, so Friday I bought some room darkening drapery lining (55% off!) and washed the drapes.  Yesterday I used some heavy duty iron on tape to attach the lining, and today I'll wrestle them back up.

Hope the tape holds! 

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2017, 11:21:01 AM »
I scrubbed out the laundry tub, and am now running a 'disinfect' empty load in the washer.   I can't remember the last time I did this, so obviously it's been a while.  : )

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2017, 11:42:34 AM »
Installed a spare tire hoist and changed the oil in my vehicle so far today! Had to use a little ingenuity to get the stubborn oil filter off!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2017, 12:15:51 PM »
Returned the trim kit we did not end up using for the shower. And shower shows no signs of dripping! Woohoo! I think the shower saga is officially over!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2017, 01:30:57 PM »
Returned the trim kit we did not end up using for the shower. And shower shows no signs of dripping! Woohoo! I think the shower saga is officially over!

Yay for the end of the shower saga!

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2017, 03:54:56 PM »
I finally hand-sewed buttons and buttonholes for the back of a throw pillow I made about 10 years ago! Now it fits the pillow insert correctly and doesn't gape open at the back. Yeah, that one has been on the project list for a while....

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2017, 11:36:12 AM »
This morning I cleaned the insides of my car windows. 

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2017, 11:37:33 AM »
I cleaned and caulked the cracks in the dining room baseboards, the better to repaint them tomorrow. My plan is to slowly make my way around the house and do this, room by room.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2017, 11:51:19 AM »
I cleaned and caulked the cracks in the dining room baseboards, the better to repaint them tomorrow. My plan is to slowly make my way around the house and do this, room by room.

You seriously have my same to do list so far, haha. The difference is you're getting it done ;) lol.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2017, 12:00:40 PM »

You seriously have my same to do list so far, haha. The difference is you're getting it done ;) lol.

Ha! I wonder if that's just a winter thing? I feel like I must have caulked gaps in the summer time last time and now it's all contracting and looking bad.

Somehow this thread, and feeling like I'm accountable to this anonymous group of people, is really propelling me to action!

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2017, 01:14:38 PM »

Ha! I wonder if that's just a winter thing? I feel like I must have caulked gaps in the summer time last time and now it's all contracting and looking bad.

Somehow this thread, and feeling like I'm accountable to this anonymous group of people, is really propelling me to action!

I have the same list too! I was just looking at all the gaps in my kitchen that I just did a few years ago. I was so careful and filled every tiny crack before I painted, but it happens with the cold and shifting and blah! It's on my list!

Today I worked from home so after digging out the end of my driveway (thanks plow guy) i decided to keep up the momentum and just scrubbed my kitchen floor by hand. I usually use a mop, but decided it was high time to do an extra hard scrub. I have oak floors that need to be sanded and refinished, so they aren't perfect floors and hand scrubbing seems to give them extra shine for a bit.

Now I am tired. I shovelled 5 times yesterday so my muscles were already feeling well stretched!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2017, 01:44:19 PM »
Deleted some old files on my computer at home, and touched up a spot on the wall where the paint had chipped. Also took advantage of the nice weather (38 degrees and sunny) and went for a run with the baby and the dog.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2017, 01:54:56 PM »
We have a small, high, clear glass bathroom window in the house we rent that is just next to the front door. The landlord had put wide vertical blinds on it, but they blocked the light, made the window hard to open and took up all the room on the windowsill.

I put a step stool in the bathtub below it, carefully uninstalled and set aside the blind, thoroughly washed the window and screen, and put plastic Gila privacy film on the window panes. I'll reinstall the blind when we eventually move, but for now the room is brighter and we don't have to turn the lights on every *single* time we go in.

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2017, 03:06:39 PM »
Interesting to see that some people have a hit list of odd chores to work down and others act in the moment.  :)  I don't have a pre-set chore list but at the same time, I'm pretty conscious of the small nagging things I've been putting off - so really do have a hit list.

Today I cleared off a mess of papers hanging out on a shelf for much too long.  Shredded, tossed, and filed the few pages remaining.  Reclaimed a bunch of plastic sleeves in the process. Also tossed a bunch of printed articles relating to my career.  Some were 10 years old (!), all are online, AND I'm retiring in a few months.  Buh-bye!

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2017, 03:24:50 PM »
Yesterday I re-arranged my bookshelf a little bit, to help me in my goal of reading and then donating some of my books this year (and at the same time giving the books I love and am keeping a prime spot on my bookshelf).

Today I spent almost 2 hours shoveling, so I think that's enough of an odd job for the day :)

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2017, 04:13:48 PM »
Interesting to see that some people have a hit list of odd chores to work down and others act in the moment.  :)  I don't have a pre-set chore list but at the same time, I'm pretty conscious of the small nagging things I've been putting off - so really do have a hit list.

This all started for me (and this thread) because I tried to make a massive list and got completely overwhelmed. Add to that I also have a mental nagging list as well. I sometimes put too much pressure on myself.

I am trying to let the list be "free" and just spontaneously do tasks and I have to say it's actually a lot less stressful and dare I say, kinda fun. I recognize I am only getting a few things done a day, but I feel like I am accomplishing more and without stress! Reporting here is almost like a reward and having something to list AFTER its done is way better then a massive "to do" list.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2017, 04:19:51 PM »
Swept out the garage today =) And husband took care of some odd sized boxes that were accumulating in the garage (got them broken down and into the recycling).

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2017, 04:51:06 PM »
Finished painting my kitchen cabinets and trim, picked up a rug for the bedroom (very inexpensive clearance remnant - looks great!), cleaned up the pile of glass blocks in the garage that had toppled (I just listed them on Craigslist), put another coat of drywall mud on the dining room wall (patched the hole that used to filled with said glass block...), and helped my son do his taxes.  I haven't done an odd chore every day this month but I probably made up for it today!  :)

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2017, 07:21:21 PM »
Tested the smoke detectors.  I'm getting almost too pregnant to be climbing step ladders, which does not bode well for installing our bathroom fan.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2017, 10:40:36 PM »
Back in September of last year, I made myself a T-shirt, but because I was sewing on vacation and didn't have my coverhem sewing machine, I left the hem and sleeves raw. Tonight I finally hemmed it. I'm always a bit intimidated by the tension controls on the coverhem, but I ran some test samples and seemed to get a better result - fewer skipped stitches on the underside.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2017, 05:29:10 AM »
Back in September of last year, I made myself a T-shirt, but because I was sewing on vacation and didn't have my coverhem sewing machine, I left the hem and sleeves raw. Tonight I finally hemmed it. I'm always a bit intimidated by the tension controls on the coverhem, but I ran some test samples and seemed to get a better result - fewer skipped stitches on the underside.

Awesome! I always leave jersey unhemmed because I'm too intimidated to figure out how to do it without stretching the fabric. I think I used a thin piece of paper as a stabilizer a few times, and that worked reasonably well?

Yesterday I had an unexpected odd chore. The water dispenser on the fridge suddenly stopped dispensing water. After consulting a YouTube video, I defrosted the water line and fixed it. Now everything works again, and, as a bonus, I now know how a piece of the fridge works.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2017, 06:33:49 AM »
Today I am going to clean up the side of the wall by the stove that gets splattered. 

This is a very good thread for me. 

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2017, 05:20:06 PM »
OK long day at work today and I am wiped, so today's chores were kinda lame.

I backed up my Kobo books (2000+ books) which has been on my list for months. Then I updated some software and installed some new things. I also cleaned up my cloud storage.

Lastly I climbed up to a storage area grabbed one of my vintage bowling bags, popped an old bowling ball and frame in it, to be used as a door stop for my front door once nice weather hits.

I thought about doing lots of other odd chores but then I realized I still had about give regular chores to do tonight. Argh. Adulting! I think I am going to crank some music and wash dishes!

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2017, 08:04:45 PM »
This is a great idea!  I'm cleaning behind the stove tomorrow!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2017, 08:28:34 PM »
I had an exhausting day, but I managed to file some papers for a bit this evening.  I am maybe halfway through the big pile that's been hanging out for a while.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2017, 07:43:37 AM »
Small, but: I glued back together a door wreath I made last year out of found twigs and bits of felt rolled into flowers. One of the twigs was knocked loose by someone coming in the house, and it's been sitting on my "to fix" pile for a few months.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2017, 08:33:39 AM »
Small, but: I glued back together a door wreath I made last year out of found twigs and bits of felt rolled into flowers. One of the twigs was knocked loose by someone coming in the house, and it's been sitting on my "to fix" pile for a few months.

It sounds like a really nice wreath and would be pretty on the door. 

It is funny with stuff like this for me.  The chore will dwell in my mind but then when I go to do it, it just takes a few minutes and it's done.  Today, I cleaned the window above the kitchen sink.  I'd been looking at it all splattered and thinking about cleaning it.  Then I think it will take too long.  So I started it and was done in 5 minutes. 

Just love this thread!

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2017, 09:17:59 AM »

It sounds like a really nice wreath and would be pretty on the door. 

It is funny with stuff like this for me.  The chore will dwell in my mind but then when I go to do it, it just takes a few minutes and it's done.  Today, I cleaned the window above the kitchen sink.  I'd been looking at it all splattered and thinking about cleaning it.  Then I think it will take too long.  So I started it and was done in 5 minutes. 

Just love this thread!

Thanks! Here's a picture of what it looks like. I usually put it up in the fall, after the Halloween one with ping-pong ball bloodshot eyes one comes down.

I also love this thread! It's really been the kick in the pants I benefit from.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2017, 09:24:08 AM »
Thanks for posting the photo of your wreath. 

I was actually looking for craft ideas that I can do with twigs and smaller branches because I have lots of those!   I saved the photo to my desk top and I might just do one. 

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2017, 09:48:45 AM »

Just love this thread!

This x1000. Why is it that we set ourselves up in our heads that a task that is relatively painless is some monumental thing?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 12:12:19 PM by LindseyC »

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2017, 10:29:00 AM »
Road42 - you should post your wreath in the Home Made Christmas 2017 thread - that would make a great gift for someone.  Depending on the occasion, you could just change the color of the felt.   Very pretty.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/homemade-christmas-2017-edition!/

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2017, 10:31:56 AM »
Today I am going through a bunch of old magazines, catalogues and travel brochures.  At least 3/4 of them will be recycled somehow - magazines to the 'free' pile at the library, and the rest into the recycling bin.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2017, 11:03:59 AM »
Road42 - you should post your wreath in the Home Made Christmas 2017 thread - that would make a great gift for someone.  Depending on the occasion, you could just change the color of the felt.   Very pretty.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/homemade-christmas-2017-edition!/

+1    - that's a great idea.  I have already printed out the photograph and put it in my purse to take home. 

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2017, 11:12:05 AM »

+1    - that's a great idea.  I have already printed out the photograph and put it in my purse to take home.

+2

I had the same thought, but if I printed out the photograph, I would be sure to lose it.  Putting it in the thread means it will be there for others to see too.

Edited to say:  Hope you don't mind, Road42, I posted a link in that thread back to your post in this one...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:15:03 AM by PJ »

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2017, 11:27:17 AM »
Wow, thanks everyone! I'm super flattered, and of course you can put the link into the other thread! If people are interested, I can describe a bit how it's put together (basically, the twigs are hot-glued to a black foamcore donut, with the felt flowers glued on top of the twigs).

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2017, 11:28:40 AM »
Wow, thanks everyone! I'm super flattered, and of course you can put the link into the other thread! If people are interested, I can describe a bit how it's put together (basically, the twigs are hot-glued to a black foamcore donut, with the felt flowers glued on top of the twigs).

Yes, please!

Over here:  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/homemade-christmas-2017-edition!/msg1433229/#new

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2017, 03:59:06 PM »
Oooh, neat thread! And one I need!

Tonight, I will go through the neglected bill/papers I don't want to lose but didn't deal with right away basket and well, deal with them.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!