Author Topic: On your mark.. get set... 2020 Runners Thread  (Read 14192 times)

dblaace

• Bristles
On your mark.. get set... 2020 Runners Thread
« on: January 01, 2020, 06:07:09 AM »
Starting the year off with a trail run with my tribe.

Continuing on from the 2019 thread
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/on-your-mark-get-set-2019-runners-thread/
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 03:14:46 PM by dblaace »

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
Re: On your mark.. get set... 2020 Runners Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 06:44:38 AM »
Two fairly gentle paced parkruns to start the year off. Both in lovely parks, one I haven't done before. Some huge attendances in the UK today, must be a lot of new years resolutions getting started.

Bumbles8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 08:01:28 AM »
Broke my 2 mile PR according to strava this morning.  Picked up running in the fall in an attempt to keep my physical level somewhere close to my peak after finishing a 2000+ mile hike.

Goal is to jog two miles every day this year.  Started on Monday, so today was the third day in a row.  I’m interested to see if I get faster and by how much.  I’ve been shaving seconds off every few weeks it seems.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 12:58:15 PM »
Maybe link to the 2019 thread in your original post that people can use as reference?

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 03:15:47 PM »
Maybe link to the 2019 thread in your original post that people can use as reference?
Good idea. I added it.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 07:46:47 PM »
30minute run for me on new years day. I used to run a fair amount but haven't barely run at all since late 2014. Which is bad. Plenty of walking though (and I walk fast. Most days I walk commute about 5km in total up and down some hills). I did do a couple of light short runs in December.

Yesterdays run went surprisingly well. I won't run more than 30minutes for a fair while though, want to build up slowly and with a slow pace.

Goal for 2020 is to do a 10km run in under 60minutes. I'll be chuffed with 59'59".

Naomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 11:34:41 PM »
I'm in the middle of training for a half marathon, but today was a cardio day so I biked instead. And did a 1.29 mile walk so I could join one of the other challenges on here.

I'm a hobby runner and have never done an official race. I would like to do several this year. I do have some minor issues that I go to physical therapy for, so that I can continue to run as much as possible.

I saw this run the year challenge: https://runtheyear.com/, but I'm not going to pay to join something like that when I can post here and track my mileage myself.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 09:38:37 AM »
Training continues for the half marathon in March. I'm up to 4.5 mile long runs, which was unthinkable to any past version of myself. I'm still pretty slow, averaging 11.5 minute miles using the run/walk method. But at least I'm doing it!

merlin7676

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 12:58:27 PM »
Used to run a lot, but only off and on for the last 2-3 years.

Started to pickup my fitness about 2 months ago...so now running 2-3 times a week and weights at the gym 2-3 times a week.

Going for my first run of the year today after work....sadly will have to be on the treadmill at the gym (which I hate) as it's raining way to much to run outside. I'm much prefer running outdoors even if it's freezing out...but in the rain, not so much.

I'm a pretty slow runner as well but I do it for myself, my health, and my meditation/thinking time.  Last run was monday.  3.2 miles 10:21" pace.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 02:36:53 PM »
Started the year with a good resolution 5k.  Ran with a friend and her friend, she said "this is chill, we can all stay together!"  Buuuut...I knew that wasn't gonna happen, even BEFORE she said "I'm hoping to do sub-30".

(For the record, I am well trained and fast enough to do sub-30.  Barely.  And not repeatably.  But it would have been abso-fucking-lutely miserable.)

I finished in 31:29, and I am totally thrilled about that time, because I've not been able to "feel" a 10:00-ish mile in a long time.

My 2020 running resolution: Have fun, and give myself the permission to fucking PHONE IT IN.  I spent all of 2019 trying to get "back" to where I was in 2018 before the hamstring injury.  I was determined, and miserable.  It wasn't fun.  I had a GOAL (in this case, a sub-1 hour 10k), and I didn't hit it, and I felt bad.  And I got these two different nagging injuries both times I tried to ramp mileage in order to hit that goal.

So THIS year, my 50th year on the planet, I want to rediscover the JOY.  I want to EXPLORE.  And if I'm in the middle of a 6.5 mile run, enjoying new scenery, and the run starts to suck, I am giving myself the permission to fucking WALK back to the car.

No race goals.  No pace goals.  If I feel like racing, I will.  If I don't, I won't.

But please, talk me out of this:
https://vacationraces.com/half-marathons/yosemite/
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 02:38:36 PM by mm1970 »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 03:00:49 PM »
Definitely not talking you out of that @mm1970!

Having just hiked the Inca Trail I’ve discovered they run a marathon over it in July each year. Over 2km of vertical elevation gain, low point is 2,400m, highest point is 4,200m!

Race record is 3:45, which is truly out of this world. Peruvians should definitely be sending more runners to the Olympics, but unfortunately poverty prevents them from being able to train and go.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 03:15:44 PM »
I'm in. I too a huge break from running when I got pregnant with Puglet, who is now 8 months! I am registering for a Half Marathon in June so I am just starting out this week and I plan to run 3 times a week. This week I ran Monday, Wednesday, and will run again tomorrow. Future weeks will be Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday. Starting out really slow just one mile so far. Tomorrow I will increase a bit to 1.5 mi. I'm going to look for a 5k for either this month or next.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 03:24:01 PM »
I'm in...still very slow but planning on two 7K trail races this winter and a half-marathon in October. I have lax ligaments in one knee, so I'm experimenting with a brace. Motivation gets pretty low when I'm always the slowest by a long, long shot in my run groups.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 07:44:07 PM »
Getting back into it now that our baby is bigger. Hubby and I have a running challenge against one another so that should be fun. 2 runs in 2 days so far, 7 miles total and feeling good. Bring it, 2020!

Naomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 04:24:15 AM »
7 miles today, well yesterday. I'm at work right now/night shift. It was a speed run so 1 mile wu, then 5 miles at race pace, 1 mile cd.
The 5 miles were done at 8:19 which was kind of a struggle. I've lived in Colorado almost 5 yrs now and still find it hard to run at times bc of the elevation and it's about impossible to find a flatter route around my house. The hills still get me.

I think 8:45 pace is more realistic it i do this half marathon next month.

Huskerfan

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 07:21:09 AM »
Multiple minor injuries and laziness limited my running last year.  I plan to fix that.  2 days into the year already, 2 runs already in the books.  Planning a slow jog for about 4 miles later this afternoon.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 03:44:58 PM »
New Year post and running history/summary:

I started running in Late June of 2018. After spending 6 months straight alternating 70/80 hr work weeks, I started a new job and felt like I had all the time in the world and needed a way to make good use of the free time. Prior to that, I don’t think I had ever ran more than 2 miles in my life. I had been an avid weightlifter from age 14-today(31).

Lots of research and trial and error when I started running. Have had a few injuries. Oddly, since starting running, I have had two of the worst weightlifting injuries of my life. Major injury to my back (on my 5th rep squatting 355) then about a month later, to my shoulder while bench pressing. Anyways - some major milestones for me were hitting 1000 miles total ran last fall.

I’ve run 3 total races so far: 5k in 22:43, 10k in 45:49, and half marathon in 1:41:09. After my last half marathon in early December, it’s taken me considerably longer to recover than I expected. Granted, I ran it way harder than I planned. I was aiming for 1:45 to have it be a “trial” for my half marathon in a couple weeks. Instead I had that edge built up and went all out. Unfortunately, do to the long recovery I don’t have a major desire to do my half in a couple weeks and will be out a pretty decent little chunk of money. I know in the long run it’s the best choice, and getting more miles and training under my belt will be best. I enjoy races but I hate the taper weeks and also recovery. I really “just love to run” and don’t need to train for a race to do it. All of my races I only signed up a few weeks before cause I only want to do them when I know I’m 100%.

In 2020, my goal is to break 1000 miles, although realistically I should easily hit 1500. During my best training weeks I’ve been in the low 30 miles per week. I’d love to maintain around 30-40 miles/wk.

I should easily beat a 22 min 5k, 45 min 10k, and 1:40 half this year, but I’m usually pretty modest in my goals vs how I perform. Ultimately, I just want to cross each finish line knowing I gave it 100%, that’s much better for me than hitting a time, though they usually go hand in hand.

Since starting running, I’ve also really started listening to tons of running audiobooks. I very, very firmly believe that most runners have far more in the tank than they realize each race, as being on point mentally makes a HUGE difference in addition to training. Usually the evening before and while my wife drives me to each race, I watch a lot of YouTube videos that really put me in the zone.

Running books I’ve read(well, audible) the last year and a half:
Ultramarathon Man: Dean Karnazes
Finding Ultra: Rich Roll
Born to Run: Christopher McDougall
Can’t Hurt Me: David Goggins (moreso life motivation and fitness, also, lots and lots of profanity)
What I Talk about When I Talk About Running: Haruki Murakami
Once a Runner: John L. Parker
Endure: Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance - Alex Hutchinson (by far the best book about the performance benefits of the right mindset)
The Rise of the Ultra Runners: Adharanand Finn
Eat and Run: Scott Jurek

Next on the list are “80/20 Running” and “Running with the Kenyans.”

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 06:51:23 PM »
Ran 3 times this week and today I increased my distance from 1 mile to 1.5 miles today. I can already tell I'm going to need to keep ahead of my IT band. It was irritating me this evening. I'll be doing lots of stretching and foam rolling before bed.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 09:30:50 AM »
My running plan had this week be a lighter week, so my long run was closer to a 5k than it has been since the beginning of December. Well, I shaved 2 minutes off that 5k time without really trying to. Glad to know that even though each run individually feels hard and slow, the cumulative miles are making a difference!

Bumbles8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 10:08:12 AM »
And I’m already dealing with some sort of hamstring issue.

Had a lingering upper hamstring issue from last year that hasn’t been super bothersome, but started having pain behind my knee/lower hamstring area. 

Just going to try to keep working through it and see what happens.  If it keeps getting worse, I will have to give it some rest

Plan is to run this evening and that will be day 7 in a row

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 07:58:23 PM »
PTF. Excited for 2020! So far I've signed up for a half in March, a fun 5k inflatable race with SIL and MIL in June, and a full marathon in November.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2020, 06:31:55 PM »
Did my first “harder” run since November and recovering from my half in early December. Just a mile warm up, two all out 1 mile repeats, then a mile cool down. I did my hard miles at 6:53 and 6:36. I would have been happy hitting 7 for each of them, based on how I’ve been feeling on my runs the last 5-6 weeks. I normally do three, 1 mile repeats, but still easing myself back into the mileage/intensity.

I also just bought some new insoles so we’ll see how they help. I pronate a little bit and my arches are a bit flat. They aren’t terrible and even watching a video of me running on a treadmill from behind, it’s pretty minor. My feet do just get a bit sore/cramps sometimes, and I think the slight misalignment may also impact my knees/hips/lower back. I ordered a cheaper pair for $20 off amazon. I’m not opposed to spending a lot on a good custom pair, but I figured I can try spending $20 before spending $400. We’ll see how many miles the insoles last though, as the custom ones have a lifetime warranty. I don’t run on the treadmill very much anymore, but probably will plan to for Fridays’ run so I can have my wife take a video of my feet and see if the insoles noticeably help the alignment.

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2020, 09:30:59 AM »
Nice to see so many running Mustachians!

My 2020 goal is to reach 2'600km with a few races thrown in there. I am FIRE and spending the first few months of 2020 in Cape Town. Running is great here!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2020, 03:33:33 AM »
My first Parkrun for the year today. After a four week holiday with no running I knew I'd be a bit rusty but it was still a bit of a shock to die after 3km and then lose 2 minutes in the last 2km.

25:24 was my time. The course was hilly enough that it will strip about 75 seconds from your best. Still, lots of improvement to be had now over the coming weeks which will be good.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2020, 04:19:49 AM »
Following!  2019 was a 'maintenance' year for me.  I did lots of running, but I didn't enter any races.  I had an unexpected bout with plantar fascitis in the fall, but that is finally on the mend.  Very modest 2020 goals -- increase current distances and pace, and enter at least one local race.   

Tess

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2020, 07:18:29 AM »
Goal in 2020 is to run 15-20 miles week, which is 3-4 runs (very low mileage compared to ten-fifteen years ago when I was running marathons but as I near 60 it works for me combined with yoga and 1-2 hikes/week)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2020, 10:19:44 AM »
Welp, did my 2nd race of the  year.  I was kinda sorta training for it - an 8.2mi race from San Simeon to Cambria (a "fun run", as it were), except:
1.  Each time last fall that I increased mileage and/or pace, I started getting these nagging injuries (hip, achilles)
2.  I decided that 2020 would be the year of FUN.

So...after a week of sucking down Emergen-C and sleeping on the couch, I came down with my husband's cold anyway, on Friday, the day I drove to the hotel with a friend.
I slept very little the night before because every time I swallowed, it felt like I was swallowing broken glass.
I ran/ walked the race, and decided to make it fun - it was a gorgeous route.  I had my watch set to 2:00 run/ 0:30 walk, figuring I could manage that better.  But by 4 miles I could NOT keep my heart rate under 180 because of the damned cold.  (My heart rate runs high anyway - it is not uncommon for my average HR for a run to be 170, when at my age it should be max 170).

So, the last half was a lot more walking, like I'd run 2/walk 30s/walk 2/walk 30 s/run, repeat...and I finished in just under 1:50, so a 13:12 ish pace.

(When I am in peak and uninjured condition, I could pull 10:45 miles, and I was hoping for 11:30 when I signed up for the race, but it was clear quickly that it wouldn't happen.  12:00 would have be doable without the cold.)

So I spent the rest of the weekend miserably sick with sinus pressure and I'm home sick, about to turn on the tube and take nap #1 for the day.

My friends and I are talking about making it a regular thing.  Such a gorgeous course, and a fun girls' weekend away.  Next time: better hotel.

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2020, 10:23:18 AM »
Well done, mm1970, for getting through the race with A COLD!! A heartrate of 180 is no joke.

Hopefully there will be more truly fun races this year for you!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2020, 05:43:45 PM »
@mm1970  way to finish the race at least! Kudos to you for still going out and finishing it.

I’ve paid a non-refundable large amount for a race this weekend (I think over $140 or so, can’t remember as it’s been 5-6 months ago) and I’m not going to run it. I may go and watch. I’m feeling better than I was two weeks ago but knowing that it’s just going to set me back for my winter training all over again, doesn’t seem worth it. I’d like to run a 5k or 10k in late February or March, then a half around April, then take it easy during the summer when it’s 230948203948230948 degrees out.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2020, 11:08:22 AM »
@mm1970  way to finish the race at least! Kudos to you for still going out and finishing it.

I’ve paid a non-refundable large amount for a race this weekend (I think over $140 or so, can’t remember as it’s been 5-6 months ago) and I’m not going to run it. I may go and watch. I’m feeling better than I was two weeks ago but knowing that it’s just going to set me back for my winter training all over again, doesn’t seem worth it. I’d like to run a 5k or 10k in late February or March, then a half around April, then take it easy during the summer when it’s 230948203948230948 degrees out.
Very smart to know when to call it.  There were four of us doing this race (finish times of 1:20, 1:40, 1:50 and 2:00), and two other friends who bailed due to injury and just crazy schedules at home.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2020, 10:22:44 AM »
Wednesday I increased to 3 miles! Only because my co-workers and I finally got the running club up started. I also ran Monday and will run again either Sat or Sun depending on the storm we're supposed to get. I am going to look for a 5k to run either Feb or March. I'm ready to get out there and start racing.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2020, 01:28:57 PM »
Well done mm1970. Lack of sleep before a race really hurts me towards the back end. It's definitely noticeable.

I had a good running week last week. Completed 32km all up, with a long run of 14km yesterday, and a 5k in 23:59 on the Saturday.

Gradually getting my distance up, this week should do somewhere between 35-40km, and run 5 days instead of 4.

Naomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2020, 02:11:26 AM »
I was looking at my post from a few weeks ago and it's so crazy how different every run can feel. I felt like I was really struggling doing 5 miles at an 8:19 pace then and tonight I did 6 miles at an 8:01 pace in the freezing cold/around 19 degrees, with more elevation and in the dark. I think it actually helps me to run in the dark bc I can't see my watch so I run more on effort and probably faster than I normally would bc I feel like  I'm going too slow.
I still haven't signed up for the half marathon on 2 Feb. I ran a lot last year and signed up for a Sep marathon, but then had a dental bone graft surgery in Aug, ended up really sick for a couple of months and missed the marathon. I was in the emergency room the Sat before the marathon. So, that was really disappointing bc I trained for a couple of months and it was going to be my first race.
I have the dental implant surgery on 24 Jan and things should go better this time.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2020, 02:57:16 PM »
I was looking at my post from a few weeks ago and it's so crazy how different every run can feel. I felt like I was really struggling doing 5 miles at an 8:19 pace then and tonight I did 6 miles at an 8:01 pace in the freezing cold/around 19 degrees, with more elevation and in the dark. I think it actually helps me to run in the dark bc I can't see my watch so I run more on effort and probably faster than I normally would bc I feel like  I'm going too slow.
I still haven't signed up for the half marathon on 2 Feb. I ran a lot last year and signed up for a Sep marathon, but then had a dental bone graft surgery in Aug, ended up really sick for a couple of months and missed the marathon. I was in the emergency room the Sat before the marathon. So, that was really disappointing bc I trained for a couple of months and it was going to be my first race.
I have the dental implant surgery on 24 Jan and things should go better this time.
I read an article recently that suggested running by feel is better for you, because you run faster.  I don't know that it's true for me, but I've been making an effort to not look at my watch, or to have it set on "clock".

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2020, 06:22:38 PM »
I’ve been dealing with a little left shin/calf pain so just doing easy runs late last week and likely most of this week. Trying to still keep my mileage, just keeping them slow. I hit 24 miles last week, and probably around 24-26 this week. Next week I’ll be out of state Tues evening-Sat night with probably no running, so if I get a few good runs in early next week I should still be able to hit 100 miles for the month.

I’m thinking if things go smooth the next 6-8 weeks I may be able to hit 1:38 for my next half. Fingers crossed.

I finished my 80/20 running book I mentioned above and almost done with Running with the Kenyans. Of all those listed above, Endure was probably the biggest impact and I’ll likely give it another listen. Running is sooooooo much mental as it is physical. The day/night before, and morning of my races, I spend a huge amount of time getting myself mentally in the zone.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 06:26:32 PM by use2betrix »

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2020, 08:57:21 PM »
Well, I finally got out yesterday and did a short run.  Ok, really short, only 1.5km.  Going to try to get out 3-4 times a week and slowly increase distance. 

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2020, 09:09:27 AM »
Well, I finally got out yesterday and did a short run.  Ok, really short, only 1.5km.  Going to try to get out 3-4 times a week and slowly increase distance. 
That’s absolutely fine! It’s key to start in small increments and to keep it enjoyable.
Over time, you’ll automatically increase the distance. And above all, you won’t get injured!
Happy short runs!

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2020, 07:26:19 AM »
My first race of 2020. An eleven mile trail race in east Texas Saturday.
Not ready but just running for fun so as the sloth says, "I'll get there when I get there."

Bumbles8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2020, 03:02:38 PM »
Been a confusing week of running for me.  Just for some background, I have never been much of a runner and have never had great cardio.  Last year I did a 2000+ mile hike and my cardio was insane.  I started running when I got back from the hike and decided for 2020 to try and run 2 miles everyday.

Anyway, I have been running right over 2 miles and have consistently been in the 7:45 to 8:15 pace.  Usually sub-8:00.  Then earlier this week I finished my run and noticed I had averaged 7:15 miles.  I was sort of stunned and the next day I pushed a little and ran 7:15 again.  I decided to really focus on pushing and ran a 6:55 pace this morning.

I have noticed since the beginning I can’t really predict my pace until I look at strava at the end.  Some days I feel fast and the time is average or slow.  Some days I feel slow and the time is faster than average.  But now, I feel like I just wasn’t pushing at all.

Should I keep trying to run faster speeds?  Should I just run longer distances?  Any advice from the long-time runners here.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2020, 06:02:37 PM »
Been a confusing week of running for me.  Just for some background, I have never been much of a runner and have never had great cardio.  Last year I did a 2000+ mile hike and my cardio was insane.  I started running when I got back from the hike and decided for 2020 to try and run 2 miles everyday.

Anyway, I have been running right over 2 miles and have consistently been in the 7:45 to 8:15 pace.  Usually sub-8:00.  Then earlier this week I finished my run and noticed I had averaged 7:15 miles.  I was sort of stunned and the next day I pushed a little and ran 7:15 again.  I decided to really focus on pushing and ran a 6:55 pace this morning.

I have noticed since the beginning I can’t really predict my pace until I look at strava at the end.  Some days I feel fast and the time is average or slow.  Some days I feel slow and the time is faster than average.  But now, I feel like I just wasn’t pushing at all.

Should I keep trying to run faster speeds?  Should I just run longer distances?  Any advice from the long-time runners here.

What you are doing now, is honestly probably one of the bigger mistakes that I made as a newer runner. I was constantly trying to run faster and faster, every week, in frequent runs.

If your goal is to run 2 miles every day, that’s up to you, but I really think rest days are very important.

I’ve been a very firm believer in the 80/20 rule. 80% of your runs should be at around 70-75% of your max heart rate, or, at a pace that you could have a steady conversation without being too winded.. I find this to be about 2 mins/mile slower than my half marathon pace.

Each week, you shouldn’t increase your mileage by more than 10%, and for many newer runners, I’d say even 10% every other week. You could consider increasing mileage one week, then doing the same mileage the following week, but increasing pace a little.

One week may look like:

Sunday: 10 miles, easy, 9.5-10 min/mile pace
Tuesday: 5 miles, medium, 8.5 min/mile pace
Thursday: 5 miles, easy, 9.5 min/mile pace
Friday: 1 mile easy warmup then: 1 mile at 6:50, walk a few minutes, repeat for about 3 miles, then 1 mile easy warm down

That’s how many of my weeks are structured, depending where I’m at in mileage. After a race my mileage will drop as I recover and then increase back up. This week I was at 26 miles at a similar format to the above. Next week will be an easy 22 miles as I wind back, then ramp back up again and pretty soon will increase to 5 days/wk as the mileage increases, capping at around 35-40 miles before my next half later this spring.

For comparison, peaking before my last half marathon, one of my “hardest” runs was at about a 7:50 pace for 7 miles.. When I tapered down for my half a couple weeks later and was 100% rested, my 13.1 mile race pace ended up at 7:43.. I never ran that pace for half that distance during my training.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2020, 01:05:25 AM »

What is your actual goal, or aim here? The answer would for example be different if you're looking to run a marathon than if you wanted to add a little bit of running to a training plan for another sport.

As use2betrix says, rest days are important. It's not exercise that makes you fitter, it's recovery from exercise. That said, if you did a 2000+ mile hike  last year, 2 miles per day will probably not feel like much to you. For many people just starting to run, it would be a path to an injury. Generally, people's cardio system improves faster than their muscles, tendons, bones etc. and they get overuse injuries. May be much less of an issue for you.

If your goal is to get faster, then a program like the one use2betrix suggested is the way to go. 80%+ of your runs should be at an easy pace, some of your runs should be longer, only a small percentage of total volume is run hard. That's the same for elite athletes and beginners.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2020, 01:41:51 AM »
I started running when I got back from the hike and decided for 2020 to try and run 2 miles everyday.

It's great to set goals, but I'm going to echo some of the other posters and recommend rest days from running. I ran every day for a few years. At several points during my streak, I developed overuse injuries, that I was able to run through, until I wasn't. My last overuse injury was my achilles tendon, which by the time I finally stopped my streak had grown to the size of a blueberry and caused me to hobble everywhere. Some five years later, it still hasn't healed completely, and it has seriously curtailed my running (I run maybe once a week now, but hike and bike significantly, since the stresses on that tendon are much lower with those activities).

So in my experience, setting goals that don't allow you to listen to your body and back off can be somewhat counterproductive.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2020, 02:54:18 PM »

What you are doing now, is honestly probably one of the bigger mistakes that I made as a newer runner. I was constantly trying to run faster and faster, every week, in frequent runs.

If your goal is to run 2 miles every day, that’s up to you, but I really think rest days are very important.

I’ve been a very firm believer in the 80/20 rule. 80% of your runs should be at around 70-75% of your max heart rate, or, at a pace that you could have a steady conversation without being too winded.. I find this to be about 2 mins/mile slower than my half marathon pace.

Each week, you shouldn’t increase your mileage by more than 10%, and for many newer runners, I’d say even 10% every other week. You could consider increasing mileage one week, then doing the same mileage the following week, but increasing pace a little.

One week may look like:

Sunday: 10 miles, easy, 9.5-10 min/mile pace
Tuesday: 5 miles, medium, 8.5 min/mile pace
Thursday: 5 miles, easy, 9.5 min/mile pace
Friday: 1 mile easy warmup then: 1 mile at 6:50, walk a few minutes, repeat for about 3 miles, then 1 mile easy warm down

That’s how many of my weeks are structured, depending where I’m at in mileage. After a race my mileage will drop as I recover and then increase back up. This week I was at 26 miles at a similar format to the above. Next week will be an easy 22 miles as I wind back, then ramp back up again and pretty soon will increase to 5 days/wk as the mileage increases, capping at around 35-40 miles before my next half later this spring.

For comparison, peaking before my last half marathon, one of my “hardest” runs was at about a 7:50 pace for 7 miles.. When I tapered down for my half a couple weeks later and was 100% rested, my 13.1 mile race pace ended up at 7:43.. I never ran that pace for half that distance during my training.
All of of this.  Generally, I've read that people tend to do their fast runs too slow, and slow runs too fast.  Definitely for me, my long runs are too fast.  After the first couple of miles, it's SUPER hard to keep my heart rate under the max, much less 80% (my HR runs fast anyway).  Today I only ran 4 miles, but I tried to keep my HR under 170 (supposed max for my age), and... I was basically walking a LOT.

I've also read a bit about running without a watch, and running by feel.  It certainly makes me happier right now.  Rather than be obsessed by the numbers, when it feels good, run faster.  When it doesn't, run slower.  It's supposed to make you faster in the long run.  I'm not sure if it will for me but I don't really care.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2020, 02:23:51 PM »
Ran the 11 mile race Saturday in 3:23 20 min longer than 2 years ago. A tough course, 200 ft. elevation change and 1300 ft elevation gain so lots of up and downs.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2020, 02:42:35 PM »
Up to 5.7 miles in my half marathon training, 7 weeks to go. I was using the Nike Run Club app to tell me what to do each week and it felt like I was doing a nice, reasonable progression. But then one of my long runs didn't sync right and it adapted my plan in really weird ways. It wanted today's long run to be 4.5 miles (shorter than the last three weeks of long runs), no long run next week, and then a 6.75 mile "recovery" run followed by a 7.5 mile long run in two weeks. Wacky. I keep hoping it will fix itself now that everything has been synced correctly, but alas. So I've just been running 10% longer each week regardless of what it tells me do it. I'm a beginner - I didn't want to think about this. That's why I let NRC do the plan for me! Edit: Just tonight, it seems to have fixed itself after two weeks of nonsense? I'm glad, but I wish it weren't so buggy. The concept of the app is so good, and it's frustrating the execution falls short. Google tells me others have similar issues all the time.

The good news is that sticking to the regular running schedule really makes a difference. I used to be someone who could barely run a mile without my heart rate going into the 160s and 170s (max should be 190 at my age) and getting dizzy. And today I ran the 5.7 miles at under 11 minute/mile pace by doing 4:30/0:30 walk/run cycles with an average heart rate of 145 (occasionally hitting 160 at the highest). The progress is real! I honestly never thought I could be in shape enough to do this, and yet.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:24:07 PM by zygote »

Bumbles8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2020, 06:01:35 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions - @use2betrix , @mm1970 , @Boofinator , and @cerat0n1a .

I have had to take some days off before this and took both days off this weekend.  I think your right that every day would probably lead to injuries.

My initials goals were to try and keep some of my cardio and leg muscles from my hike.  I also like exercise before work because it helps me collect my thoughts.

I am really goal motivated though, so I should probably work towards something.  Maybe this should be a marathon or a half.  Guess I need to do some thinking.

In the meantime, I won’t keep trying to run faster and faster.  I might add an extra mile in some days.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2020, 04:01:11 PM »
So far my goal is 1000 miles this year, with a stretch goal of running a marathon in the fall. So far, decent start- on track for 75 miles this month with a gradual ramp up in miles each week. For reference, I ran 192 miles last year (then again, I had a baby in February, which really messed up my averages!)

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2020, 07:41:40 PM »
Conversation with a CW today. He didn't understand my struggle, but I'm sure y'all will.

CW: whats your shift again?
Me: 7am to 3:30 pm.
CW: Oh yeah. Thats pretty good. Not too early like 5 am.
Me: Yeah, the only problem is right now it gets dark to soon for me to get my miles in. I typically can only get about 3.
CW: ONLY three miles?! Sheesh. I could never do that.
Me: You totally can!
Me: (to myself) I guess I shouldn't mention the seven I did the other day... on the treadmill (because of the darkness issue).

I also don't understand the people who look at me like I'm some supreme being by running a half/full marathon. Like, 90% of the people who are like OMG you ran how far?! could totally do it as well if they put together a training plan, stuck to it, and believed they could do it.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2020, 08:54:23 PM »
Yeah, I never thought I could do more than a mile or two either, but here I am with my long runs up to 10k just by sticking to a plan.

Sadly, I've come down with some kind of chest cold virus thing and I had to skip my run today. I really hope I'm improved enough to do my next long run on Sunday so I don't throw things off too much. I've had to miss a run here or there due to my schedule, but I haven't done less than three runs a week since the plan started. Breaking that streak now.

Half marathon is mid-March so I still have time to get back into the swing of things, but I already felt a little crunched since my baseline was zero miles a week when I started....

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2020, 05:03:52 AM »
It’s a shame that people seem to forget that they can run when they become adults.
We’re born to run and kids do it all the time.

I participated in my first road race in Cape Town today. It was a 10k and great fun. However, it was so crowded that I couldn’t really race it. It took 8 minutes for the first kilometer! I basically had to walk the first few minutes. Things got better after 4k and I could finally put in a little sprint.