Author Topic: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread  (Read 67675 times)

Better Change

• Stubble
Re: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread
« Reply #450 on: August 25, 2019, 02:41:50 PM »
I am thinking of signing up for a fast and flat marathon early next year with hopes of... running fast.

Not sure I can BQ. My age/gender the time is 3:45 and they accepted 3:40 last year. That's pretty fast IMO.

I've only run one marathon before. I ran 4:08 at Big Sur a couple years back. I figure I can shave off at least 10 minutes for the elevation of that course (for those of you who don't know it has a 2 mile long hill, and many others). That leaves me with ~15 minutes to improve. Which I think I can do. Possibly. My 13.1 PR is 1:49. So in theory, just have to do that twice and I'm golden. :D

Would love any thoughts/tips/suggestions from those who have been there. I need to pick a plan- last time I did a modified Hal Higdon with extra runs and averaged around 35-40 miles a week. I know I need to bump that up and incorporate more speed work than I did last time. Thinking of Hansens this year. Also contemplating getting a coach- though I've never used one for any of my athletic endeavors before.

BQs take commitment and consistency.  And for most of us who aren't naturally gifted runners or haven't been athletic since we were kids, we have to run a lot.  Probably quite a bit more than 35-40 miles per week.  Hansons will get you into the upper 50s or low 60s (depending on beginner vs. advanced); it's a solid plan.  I BQed with it, and my running buddy dropped 7 minutes off her PR to BQ as well.  It was the breakthrough she finally needed.  I don't think a coach is necessary, but if it helps motivate you, then that's fine.  Just don't get discouraged if it takes you a few cycles to get there - that's just how hard it is.  Good luck!  I get to register on September 13th, and I'm excited!  :-D

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #451 on: August 25, 2019, 03:12:50 PM »
Awesome work on the half @marty998 !! That’s a fantastic time. I feel like you should be able to hit your marathon goal no problem.

I had my first 10 mile run today, and it was also my first time being caught in a down pour. At about 6 miles in it changed from around a 100 degree heat index to 80 degrees, wind, and very heavy rain. Wow was this an amazing thing. The cooler weather was a huge boost and was eye opening for what I can expect for when it “actually” starts cooling down. I probably haven’t ran below a 90 degree heat index since around May.

I ended the run with an average pace of 9:51/mile, with my 10th mile being ran at 8:25.

Nope nope, nope. There are definitely no problems in a marathon! Because you're out there for so long your mind starts playing tricks on you. It's a test of mental strength as well as physical. I figure I need to accept that there will be trouble somewhere along the way (muscle cramps, sore spots on feet, gels that won't open because of sweaty hands etc).

You've done well there to get up to a 10 mile distance. Especially to keep going in the middle of a downpour.

daffodil2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #452 on: August 26, 2019, 06:29:11 AM »
I finished my half marathon without injury, and managed to finish about nine minutes faster than my previous half marathon that I ran after injuring myself during training. I’m hoping to run another half in October, but my fall travel schedule for work hasn’t been set yet.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #453 on: August 26, 2019, 02:11:18 PM »
Running morale is low. Today was an 8 long run on the way to a half marathon in a training group. I'm by far the slowest...haven't run in a couple of years after breaking my big toe (took 6 months to walk without a lot of pain after the injury so I was out for a year).

I'm just trotting along...about 15 minute miles. The next slowest pace group is 12 minute miles. I don't handle the heat well so I have to take walk breaks to cool/avoid overheating even when it's only in the low 60s Fahrenheit. Sigh...I feel like I'm never going to be a real runner.
So.  You ARE a real runner.  Do you run?  Then you are a real runner.

You may never run a marathon.  You are a real runner.
You may always have to take walk breaks.  You are a real runner.
You may work yourself "up" to never taking walk breaks and still never break 12 minute miles.  You are a real runner.

Do you run?  You are a real runner.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #454 on: August 26, 2019, 02:29:45 PM »
Awesome work on the half @marty998 !! That’s a fantastic time. I feel like you should be able to hit your marathon goal no problem.

I had my first 10 mile run today, and it was also my first time being caught in a down pour. At about 6 miles in it changed from around a 100 degree heat index to 80 degrees, wind, and very heavy rain. Wow was this an amazing thing. The cooler weather was a huge boost and was eye opening for what I can expect for when it “actually” starts cooling down. I probably haven’t ran below a 90 degree heat index since around May.

I ended the run with an average pace of 9:51/mile, with my 10th mile being ran at 8:25.

Nope nope, nope. There are definitely no problems in a marathon! Because you're out there for so long your mind starts playing tricks on you. It's a test of mental strength as well as physical. I figure I need to accept that there will be trouble somewhere along the way (muscle cramps, sore spots on feet, gels that won't open because of sweaty hands etc).

You've done well there to get up to a 10 mile distance. Especially to keep going in the middle of a downpour.

This is my downfall in general.

BQs take commitment and consistency.  And for most of us who aren't naturally gifted runners or haven't been athletic since we were kids, we have to run a lot.  Probably quite a bit more than 35-40 miles per week.  Hansons will get you into the upper 50s or low 60s (depending on beginner vs. advanced); it's a solid plan.  I BQed with it, and my running buddy dropped 7 minutes off her PR to BQ as well.  It was the breakthrough she finally needed.  I don't think a coach is necessary, but if it helps motivate you, then that's fine.  Just don't get discouraged if it takes you a few cycles to get there - that's just how hard it is.  Good luck!  I get to register on September 13th, and I'm excited!  :-D

I feel like for many people who aren't naturally gifted, lots of things take commitment and many cycles.

I'm just trying to break 1 hour for a 10k.  I hit 1:01:38 last year, but that was pre-injury.  I've got a training plan, and a running coach, but the "test" 10k's that I've run the last two months have been 1:06:20 (by the watch) and 1:04:30-ish (by the watch, and 1:05:20 by the race clock).

So...I'm at the age and speed and fitness level that this is likely going to take at least a few months to get there (last year's 1:01:38 was right after an all uphill half).  I have to carefully craft my workouts for speed and endurance.  I have to carefully craft my fueling and hydration.  I have to carefully craft my recovering/ stretching/ foam rolling.  And right now, I'm not exactly sure I have the drive, or the attention span, for another 3-4 months of this.

I've got friends a few years younger than me that trained for a few years to get a sub-2:00 half marathon (also women).  I have a friend in her 50's who has been doing ultras and tried many different training programs to improve her speed.  Now her long "easy" runs are 10:30, which is super.  (She's been getting 2nd/3rd at many of her 30 milers.)

It kind of depends on how far you have to go, to see if you'll get there. 

EuroGap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #455 on: August 27, 2019, 03:49:55 AM »
What a great thread! It's certainly inspiring reading about everyones goals and challenges, and a good reminder of the value of process (which is almost always the actual goal anyway). I've been looking for a thread to post in for accountability, and this fits perfectly.

So I've been running on and off for several years, and every now and then get some stupid idea that I should do something amazing. This summer I went for it and ran my first ultra (52k, 3000m+ ascent/descent) which actually turned out to be quite fun (type 2), and set me up for further aspirations. I'll certainly run some more ultras in the future, perhaps a bit longer, but for now I feel I need to step down a bit to avoid injury and burnout. This fall I want to incorporate some more consistency into my regular weeks, in order to build a more solid base, get my muscles/tendons/joints more conditioned and hopefully improve both my aerobic and top end speed.

I'm aiming for a sub-40 minute 10k, which will be my primary goal. I'd also like to do 20k+ long runs out on the beautiful trails we have here, not as a means to an end but as an end in itself.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #456 on: August 27, 2019, 10:19:48 AM »
Today's win - 5.6 miles on a Tuesday morning when husband is traveling!

Sure, my coach had me down for 1 hr 20 min (20 min warm up, 40 minutes of 800m repeats with 1 min rest, and 20 min cool down).

I just couldn't swing the 20 min cool down + drills with my schedule (gotta get the kids to school!), but I'm pretty sure 5.6 miles is the longest mid-week run I've ever done in my life?

ginjaninja

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #457 on: August 27, 2019, 11:59:20 AM »
How did you find a running coach??  Do you find value in having one?  What are the best things you have gotten out of it?  I have considered looking for one because I think it could help me get better at running.

I am going to wait until October before any more life changes so that gives me plenty of time to find one I like.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #458 on: August 27, 2019, 12:36:22 PM »
I too have wanted to find a coach, but for speed training (masters track) instead of distance running. Have scoured all the right places (best local running stores, local running teams, USATF lists for my area, but found no one (for adults). I guess that leaves checking our community college and/or putting an ad on Craigslist.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #459 on: August 27, 2019, 06:52:53 PM »
I too have wanted to find a coach, but for speed training (masters track) instead of distance running. Have scoured all the right places (best local running stores, local running teams, USATF lists for my area, but found no one (for adults). I guess that leaves checking our community college and/or putting an ad on Craigslist.

There are a lot of online coaches and sites out there some more personal than others. I got free training at this site when I ran MCM in 2017. https://runcoach.com/ It was pretty generic but it did adapt to the paces you run.

I'd love to get into master track more.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #460 on: August 28, 2019, 10:54:50 AM »
How did you find a running coach??  Do you find value in having one?  What are the best things you have gotten out of it?  I have considered looking for one because I think it could help me get better at running.

I am going to wait until October before any more life changes so that gives me plenty of time to find one I like.
I've had a couple of coaches, this one the first formal coach.  There are several in town.  I first learned about them through group training programs.  (Training for a specific race or goal.)

So, in this case, I found her because I decided to train for a half marathon that was all uphill. I  really like working out in a group and knew I wouldn't do it on my own.

I used this method for 2 years, but this year made the switch to private coaching because I like her method.

What I like -
- I get information about form, drills, and how to deal with injury
- I get programmed workouts, occasionally with speed goals as I'm trying to get faster.  Most of the workouts come with more general instructions like "10k pace" or "6/10" but sometimes I get "you should aim for 9:00 mile for your 400m repeats".
- If I'm paying for it, I use it.

To be honest, I would never even attempt 1 to 1.5 hour runs on a weekday without it - and we've worked up to that.  So, she adjusts my workouts to my needs - when I was sick, I took it easy.  She's got me working on endurance by having me run an hour and THEN put in 15 hard minutes at the end (specifically geared to my 10k goal).

She recently trained a guy we know to run his first half and qualify for Boston.  Now, he's super young and fit anyway (his first half he ran in 1:29).  But she can handle all different goals.

@Fru-Gal
I agree it may make sense to look for different coaches depending on your goal.  One of my kid's friends recently got certified to be a running coach.  She did track in college and is actually nationally ranked in masters track for the 200, 400 and 800m.  Travels internationally to compete and has a couple of American records.  She's 55.

BookValue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #461 on: August 29, 2019, 09:10:19 AM »
Slight change in plans for me. My company is sponsoring a local race, so I received free entry to their half marathon (who can pass that up?). It's a bit hilly but looks like a nice race.

So in 2 weeks I'm racing a 5k, then 2 weeks after that is the free half, then 3 weeks after that is another half. As long as I take it easy between the half races I think I'll be OK.

My plantar fasciitis got pretty bad a couple weeks ago (fine during a run, only hurts in the morning and after a run), so I cut down the running. Doing about 20 miles a week with another 2 hours of CT, and replaced intervals with half pace tempo's. Seems to help. Tried getting an insert to support my arches, but that actually made the pain worse. Going to hit up the running store this week to try on some zero drop shoes, since going barefoot alleviates the pain somewhat. I know this is opposite of what's supposed to help, but I figure it's worth a shot.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #462 on: September 01, 2019, 03:34:29 PM »
Slight change in plans for me. My company is sponsoring a local race, so I received free entry to their half marathon (who can pass that up?). It's a bit hilly but looks like a nice race.

So in 2 weeks I'm racing a 5k, then 2 weeks after that is the free half, then 3 weeks after that is another half. As long as I take it easy between the half races I think I'll be OK.

My plantar fasciitis got pretty bad a couple weeks ago (fine during a run, only hurts in the morning and after a run), so I cut down the running. Doing about 20 miles a week with another 2 hours of CT, and replaced intervals with half pace tempo's. Seems to help. Tried getting an insert to support my arches, but that actually made the pain worse. Going to hit up the running store this week to try on some zero drop shoes, since going barefoot alleviates the pain somewhat. I know this is opposite of what's supposed to help, but I figure it's worth a shot.

If it were two weeks between the HMs you might have a problem, but 3 weeks should be ok. Maybe take it a little easier in the first HM just so you're sure you get through it without too many aches and pains.

Yesterday I completed my final Long run before my marathon in 2 weeks time - 32.5km (20.2 miles in your money). Took me 3:13 and the legs were feeling it in the last 2km or so.

It does mean I should be able to do 4:10-4:15. I've thrown out the 4:00 goal - I'm sure that is not feasible now.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #463 on: September 02, 2019, 10:23:16 AM »
I ordered a brooks running jacket last week from the brooks store and it ended up being out of stock. In turn, they gave me a 25% discount for my next entire purchase. Since my shoes rarely go on sale (Brooks Ghost) I’ll be stocking up on a few different pairs. Likely a couple pairs of brooks ghost 12’s to alternate between, then a pair of the waterproof gtx for rain days.

I replaced my last pair of brooks ghost 11 after 470 miles. I’d say around 70% of those miles were treadmill miles. My current brooks 11 have 270 miles and are more worn than my last pair. They are also feeling pretty stiff and unfortunately seem ready to replace. When I put on a new pair I’ll have to see if they feel noticeably different or if I can keep putting miles on my existing shoes.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #464 on: September 02, 2019, 02:45:55 PM »
Progress tracking:

Run (Goal: jog 25 min non-stop for 2weeks)
Check! Just missed 2 days last month (vacation) and have been jogging 25min since mid-August. New goal: jog 30 min non-stop at least 10 days.

W: (Goal 77kg/170lbs).
Failed: 78kg/172lbs this morning, not quite there yet - should reach it by Oct 1st.

BookValue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #465 on: September 03, 2019, 06:23:40 AM »
Yesterday I completed my final Long run before my marathon in 2 weeks time - 32.5km (20.2 miles in your money). Took me 3:13 and the legs were feeling it in the last 2km or so.

It does mean I should be able to do 4:10-4:15. I've thrown out the 4:00 goal - I'm sure that is not feasible now.

Was this a tempo run? I'm curious because my long runs are about a 90 second slower pace than my half marathon race pace. Your times above should allow you to break 4 hours.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #466 on: September 03, 2019, 03:38:47 PM »
I ordered a brooks running jacket last week from the brooks store and it ended up being out of stock. In turn, they gave me a 25% discount for my next entire purchase. Since my shoes rarely go on sale (Brooks Ghost) I’ll be stocking up on a few different pairs. Likely a couple pairs of brooks ghost 12’s to alternate between, then a pair of the waterproof gtx for rain days.

I replaced my last pair of brooks ghost 11 after 470 miles. I’d say around 70% of those miles were treadmill miles. My current brooks 11 have 270 miles and are more worn than my last pair. They are also feeling pretty stiff and unfortunately seem ready to replace. When I put on a new pair I’ll have to see if they feel noticeably different or if I can keep putting miles on my existing shoes.
I like the Brooks Ghost.

I'm hard on shoes in general.  It's rare for me to get to 300 miles on a pair.  I recently switched from Brooks to Altras.  I'm on week 3, we'll see how they go.  It's nice to have room for my toes...no blisters.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #467 on: September 03, 2019, 05:12:53 PM »

I like the Brooks Ghost.

I'm hard on shoes in general.  It's rare for me to get to 300 miles on a pair.  I recently switched from Brooks to Altras.  I'm on week 3, we'll see how they go.  It's nice to have room for my toes...no blisters.

I haven’t heard of Altras, I’ll have to take a look.

So yesterday I went to the running store and actually left with a pair of Hoka Clifton shoes. They are incredibly padded and I have decided that those are going to be used solely for my long run days (typically Sundays) I did wear them for todays 5 miler and will wear them for all my runs for the next week or two until my replacement Brooks come in, which I’ll use for all my “other” runs.

On a nutrition note, my wife and I are very peculiar about our meals, counting calories, macros, etc. We have decided to swap out our first meal of the day (and removing a piece of fruit) and implementing a new shake. It’s basically a combination of ingredients I have found suggested by Dr. Rhonda Patrick and also by ultramarathon runner Scott Jurek.

I typically eat a little less than twice as much as my wife, so this shake is split between us, I have 2/3 and she has 1/3.

Here’s the ingredients and macro breakdown:

Daily Shake:
* 1 scoop vanilla whey protein     P:24g   F:1g   Carb:3g   Calorie:120
* 1 cup egg whites     P:26g   F:0g   Carb:0g   Calorie:133
* 2 cups almond milk     P:2g   F:5g   Carb:2g   Calorie:60
* 1 banana     P:0g   F:0g   Carb:27g   Calorie:105
* 4 tbsp flax seed     P:6g   F:12g   Carb:8g   Calorie:140
* 3 cup chopped kale leaves     P:9g   F:2g   Carb:8g   Calorie:99
* 2 medium carrots     P:1g   F:0.3g   Carb:11.7g   Calorie:50
* 1 cup blue berries     P:1g   F:1g   Carb:17g   Calorie:70
* 1 cup strawberries     P:0g   F:0g   Carb:13g   Calorie:50
* 4 tsp spirulina powder     P:8g   F:0g   Carb:4g   Calorie:60
* 1/2 cup shelled edamame     P:12g   F:4.5g   Carb:8g   Calorie:120
* 6 tbsp coconut flakes     P:2g   F:20g   Carb:8g   Calorie:226
* 1 tbsp miso paste     P:2g   F:1g   Carb:4g   Calorie:35
* 2 tsp ground Tumeric     P:0g   F:0g   Carb:0.7g   Calorie:17
* 1/2 tsp ground ginger     P:0g   F:0g   Carb:0.7g   Calorie:3

Total--  Protein:93g   Fat:47g   Carb:115g   Calorie:1,288

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #468 on: September 05, 2019, 04:48:09 AM »
@use2betrix -- Altras are great, but one thing to know about them is that they are zero-drop shoes (at least the ones my DH and I have are).  If you've never worn zero-drop, you may feel some calf strain at first.  I feel it even going back and forth between my NB Minimus (4 mm drop) and the Altras.  But @mm1970 is right -- they are super comfy -- big toe box.

Haven't updated in a while.  A month ago I unfortunately had an accident with a rather gruesome injury.  I was helping with the construction work at our house, and I dropped a door I was carrying (corner first) onto the top of my thigh.  Massive bruising -- my whole thigh turned black and swelled like a football.  I wasn't able to run for a few weeks, and I'm just now easing back into it.  The hematoma is smaller now, about the size of a goose egg.  Last night I managed to run four miles at a pretty good clip.  The swelling and bruising didn't get any worse from that, so I'm super happy.  Onward!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #469 on: September 05, 2019, 07:01:26 AM »

Was this a tempo run? I'm curious because my long runs are about a 90 second slower pace than my half marathon race pace. Your times above should allow you to break 4 hours.

Call it a dress rehearsal. According to the Jack Daniels running calc, based on my 10km best time I should be able to run a 1:43 half and a 3:35 marathon.

I know I don't have the legs to sustain it over a full distance, because for all of 2019 I've only been averaging 35km a week, whereas a normal marathon training program would be well over 50km a week. Hence the much slower goal time and I fully expect to cramp up between 30-35km...

A tempo run—also known as an anaerobic threshold or lactate-threshold run—is a pace about 25 to 30 seconds per mile slower than your current 5K race pace, according to running coach Jack Daniels, Ph.D., who popularized the tempo run in his book Daniels' Running Formula.

I wasn't anywhere near anaerobic thresholds, so definitely not a tempo run.... I did the above mentioned long run 1:30/km (2:24/mi) slower than my 5k race pace.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #470 on: September 05, 2019, 11:32:05 AM »
@marty998 - by not having the legs, do you mean the endurance or general strength? Do you lift weights or do any cross training to help strengthen your legs? I train my legs in the weight room heavily at least once a week and feel it makes a significant difference.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #471 on: September 05, 2019, 03:33:01 PM »
@marty998 - by not having the legs, do you mean the endurance or general strength? Do you lift weights or do any cross training to help strengthen your legs? I train my legs in the weight room heavily at least once a week and feel it makes a significant difference.

You tend to get a little tired after 3 hours of exercise. It's simply not being used to running that far.

There was a time when I'd get cramp and couldn't walk properly for days after running a 10k. Then that became 20k. Now that barrier has been pushed to 30. Next year it might be 40.

I don't lift weights - gym fees started getting expensive for how often I used it. A full time job and a long commute limits the amount of time I can do things during the week as well. Lifting if a relatively short explosive exercise, but it's the getting to/from the gym, showers afterwards and all that associated extra time that is the limiting factor.

From the sounds of your post it seems you come at this from the opposite side of the street? Too much time in the gym and looking to find enough time for running? Over here it helps that we have decent weather, can run easily at all times of the year :)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #472 on: September 05, 2019, 05:08:31 PM »

You tend to get a little tired after 3 hours of exercise. It's simply not being used to running that far.

There was a time when I'd get cramp and couldn't walk properly for days after running a 10k. Then that became 20k. Now that barrier has been pushed to 30. Next year it might be 40.

I don't lift weights - gym fees started getting expensive for how often I used it. A full time job and a long commute limits the amount of time I can do things during the week as well. Lifting if a relatively short explosive exercise, but it's the getting to/from the gym, showers afterwards and all that associated extra time that is the limiting factor.

From the sounds of your post it seems you come at this from the opposite side of the street? Too much time in the gym and looking to find enough time for running? Over here it helps that we have decent weather, can run easily at all times of the year :)

I guess my background is largely what caters to the difference. I spent around 3-5 days/wk lifting very heavy from about 14 years old til now (31). About 3-4 years ago I cut down to 3 days/wk. Since I started running last summer, I’ve cut down to closer to 2-3 easier days/wk with 3-5 days/wk running.

Right now, I really like my current routine. Granted, I work around 55-65 hrs most wks. I typically go to the gym every 4-5 days and lift legs hard and then either back/biceps or chest/shoulders/triceps. Then between the gym days, I lift at home 1 day and do whichever muscle group I didn’t do at the gym. I have dumbbells that go to 70lbs, a bench, and a pull up bar.

I’m currently running 25 miles/wk, split up into 4 different runs. I plan to keep my mileage where it’s at now for the month of September as I’m at my peak since I started running and don’t want to push it. Right now I’m on business travel for 3 days in Tennessee and even though we were out til dinner until 10 p.m. last night, I still woke up at 5 a.m. and ran 6 miles before leaving for an audit at 7:15 a.m. I am just really really trying not to get injured right now.. Shin splints, knee, etc.. I’m doing stuff right, but also easing into uncharted territory for myself.

This week my exercise looked like this:
Sunday: 8 miles (easy)
Monday: Gym (legs/chest/shoulder/tris)
Tuesday: 5 miles (harder, 8:15/mile)
Wednesday: Workout at home (back/bi’s)
Thursday: Run 6.2 miles (easy at 9:18/mile)
Friday: Run 5-6 miles in the morning, when I fly back home we’ll hopefully do gym
Saturday: off

The issues that people have, and you mention above, about cramps/not being able to really walk, I have never experienced in regards to muscle soreness. I’ve had injured knees, hips, shins, back, etc. etc. but muscle wise, I don’t know that even my hardest runs have ever even left me “sore” the next day. Right now I’m just limited by 1. The heat (it slows me down but I still run as many miles) 2. My overall cardiovascular endurance. My legs always have plenty left, but my lungs and heart are what run out.

I think we are both on very opposite ends of the spectrum. I have a lot of muscle, which past an extent, is worth than having the extra weight in fat. Fat just weighs you down, muscle actually requires additional oxygen in addition to the weight.

There’s certainly a happy median. While you don’t have to go crazy, if you could fit it in I think you’d benefit from like 1-2 full body workouts a week where you hit everything. You could probably knock it out in 60 minutes if you pushed it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 08:54:13 PM by use2betrix »

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #473 on: September 06, 2019, 10:03:22 AM »
Does anyone have issues with their feet or toes? On my right foot, on my two toes next to my big toes I’ve been noticing them getting dry and irritated, especially after long runs. I wear good clean socks, good fitting shoes, take my shoes off immediately after running. Any thoughts or suggestions? It’s not a huge issue but it’s been off and on for a few months so I want to get ahead of it. With all the heat right now it could be somewhat due to all the excess sweating.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #474 on: September 06, 2019, 11:05:02 AM »
Does anyone have issues with their feet or toes? On my right foot, on my two toes next to my big toes I’ve been noticing them getting dry and irritated, especially after long runs. I wear good clean socks, good fitting shoes, take my shoes off immediately after running. Any thoughts or suggestions? It’s not a huge issue but it’s been off and on for a few months so I want to get ahead of it. With all the heat right now it could be somewhat due to all the excess sweating.

I use Trail Toes https://www.trailtoes.com/

BurtMacklin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #475 on: September 07, 2019, 04:06:47 PM »
I've started running again.. I badly broke my ankle about 5-6 years ago and have a plate. A couple of years ago I was up to about 7 miles. I'd  love to run a half (eyeing one at the end of March), but have to see how my ankle reacts. I ran a half about 20 years ago.. I'm 41.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #476 on: September 08, 2019, 07:39:34 PM »
So I picked up the Hoka One shoes last Monday and have since put 26 miles on them. This evening I did a 10 mile run and they felt fantastic. They have so much padding which makes things way easier on my knees, hips, etc. 10 miles is my longest run and I easily had a few more comfortably in me. I saw an article today saying that the recent winner of the Leadville 100 was wearing the same brand.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #477 on: September 09, 2019, 02:41:17 PM »
So I picked up the Hoka One shoes last Monday and have since put 26 miles on them. This evening I did a 10 mile run and they felt fantastic. They have so much padding which makes things way easier on my knees, hips, etc. 10 miles is my longest run and I easily had a few more comfortably in me. I saw an article today saying that the recent winner of the Leadville 100 was wearing the same brand.
I've got friends who swear by Hokas.  I see them being sold here like crazy.  They don't fit my feet at all, but they were cushy!

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #478 on: September 14, 2019, 09:35:28 AM »
I ran a half this morning that I was pretty ill-prepared for.  It was in the low 70s with humidity in the 90% range....so....a suckfest.  It got pretty bad during the last two miles on a boardwalk exposed to the sun.  I ran hard up until that point and finished in 1:37:03.  Only about 30 seconds off my PR, so not bad given the summer weather.  I've never gotten so nauseated during a race before - I'm going to blame the gross conditions and my lack of long runs lately. 

I registered for Boston yesterday!  I'm -7:06, so hopefully that nets me my spot.  If I get in, I think that will be my last marathon for a long time.  I still aspire to get faster at the shorter stuff. 

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #479 on: September 14, 2019, 05:06:13 PM »
I ran a half this morning that I was pretty ill-prepared for.  It was in the low 70s with humidity in the 90% range....so....a suckfest.  It got pretty bad during the last two miles on a boardwalk exposed to the sun.  I ran hard up until that point and finished in 1:37:03.  Only about 30 seconds off my PR, so not bad given the summer weather.  I've never gotten so nauseated during a race before - I'm going to blame the gross conditions and my lack of long runs lately. 

I registered for Boston yesterday!  I'm -7:06, so hopefully that nets me my spot.  If I get in, I think that will be my last marathon for a long time.  I still aspire to get faster at the shorter stuff.

Congratulations! What a fantastic time and a huge accomplishment. I’m in a similar climate (though a bit hotter still) and it’s really miserable this time of year. I’m ready to run another 5K but I’m really waiting until the lows in the morning at least hover somewhere in the 60’s. Right now it’s still upper 70’s at 6 a.m. with 80%+ humidity, so another 10 degrees will go a long ways.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #480 on: September 15, 2019, 01:36:08 AM »
Club 10k race this morning; four laps of a flat but completely exposed loop. Between my wife's pregnancy, my new job and having to learn to drive, I've been training perhaps twice a week at most. All I'm aiming for is a sub-45 time.

EDIT: 44:31 in the end! Very happy.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 10:21:28 AM by runbikerun »

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #481 on: September 15, 2019, 10:20:47 AM »
Question: What watch/app/etc. do you use for tracking your runs?

I have been using an Apple Watch and as a whole, I would say I’m 90% happy with it. The metrics are fantastic, I have the 4 with cellular, so I have full reception anywhere without my phone. I.e. I can get/make calls, texts, stream Pandora, etc. It works seamlessly in linking with my iPhone for greater metrics.

The only downside is the calibration is slightly off. When I rant an officially measured 5k, the distance on my watch showed 3.19 miles. I.e. the watch seems to be off approximately .03/mile. Not a ton, but over a 10 mile run, .3 makes a pretty substantial difference when running for time. While I can obviously do math in my head and better understand what to expect, in planning for pacing and setting race time goals, it does throw a little more of a mental wrench into things. For my regular running, I just treat it as being accurate, but for race planning, there’s a lot more to consider.

Is this regular across most devices? I don’t expect them to all be perfect, but closer would be helpful. I have “recalibrated” it a couple times in the past with no luck. It’d be great if there was some sort of manual calibration that could be done on a track. 

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #482 on: September 15, 2019, 01:33:40 PM »
Garmin 910xt - Got it as a gift one year.  Love it.  Tracks spot on and gets GPS signal in less than a min.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #483 on: September 15, 2019, 02:04:45 PM »
I have the Garmin Forerunner 230.  It's pretty basic, but it gets the job done.  I don't think you can rely on any sort of GPS-enabled watch to be "accurate."  All that matters is the guy out there measuring the race course with the rolling measuring stick, and he's measuring the shortest distance possible.  So all of the error is in you choosing the tangents - forget your watch.  ;)  Train by time rather than distance, and you'll never be beholden to your watch.  People did manage to run and race before GPS, after all.

For a while, I was running short races with a stopwatch rather than my Garmin.  It forces you to decide what 5k pace is for you on that day.  Guess wrong, and you miss your goal, but at least you don't miss it because you were staring at your watch the whole time and trusting the distance readout. 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #484 on: September 15, 2019, 03:16:53 PM »
There's some fantastic times being posted here. Congratulations @Better Change and @runbikerun

Question: What watch/app/etc. do you use for tracking your runs?

I have been using an Apple Watch and as a whole, I would say I’m 90% happy with it. The metrics are fantastic, I have the 4 with cellular, so I have full reception anywhere without my phone. I.e. I can get/make calls, texts, stream Pandora, etc. It works seamlessly in linking with my iPhone for greater metrics.

The only downside is the calibration is slightly off. When I rant an officially measured 5k, the distance on my watch showed 3.19 miles. I.e. the watch seems to be off approximately .03/mile. Not a ton, but over a 10 mile run, .3 makes a pretty substantial difference when running for time. While I can obviously do math in my head and better understand what to expect, in planning for pacing and setting race time goals, it does throw a little more of a mental wrench into things. For my regular running, I just treat it as being accurate, but for race planning, there’s a lot more to consider.

Is this regular across most devices? I don’t expect them to all be perfect, but closer would be helpful. I have “recalibrated” it a couple times in the past with no luck. It’d be great if there was some sort of manual calibration that could be done on a track.

Apparently my app Runtastic says I ran a 44.42km marathon yesterday. GPS goes a bit funny when there are tall buildings and tunnels around.

I was pretty well bang on my strategy of 5:55-6:00/kms for the first 23k and then had an unfortunate bout of hamstring cramps at 23 and 26km. My race was over then and there, so it was a matter of getting to the end as best as possible without too much damage. Finished in 4:38 which was disappointing, but all things considered there were several times where I could have chucked it in and DNF'd but carried on. Happy with showing a bit of mental toughness.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #485 on: September 15, 2019, 04:12:50 PM »
@marty998 any event of that type of distance that you complete with no DNF is a win.

How long are your long runs in training for a marathon, or what is standard?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #486 on: September 16, 2019, 02:08:52 AM »
I've never had any cramping in the long runs that I've done at that pace (between 20-30km).

Just one of those unfortunate things that happens. That particular race is difficult because it's not very relaxed at the start.
- It's an hour long train trip into the city at stupid o'clock.
- The bag drop happens a couple of days before, so I'm constantly misremembering where my post-race gear is.
- I had to carry some of the food I wanted to take around which I'm not particularly used to.
- It was a bit warm - saw a lot of people go down with heat stress at various points.

Probably did a bit too much activity on Saturday which meant the legs weren't exactly fresh the next morning. Basically ruined my own race.

One more HM in November and then a long summer off to recover from a big year :)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #487 on: September 16, 2019, 11:25:02 AM »

That's still a fantastic time.

I ran a 10k this weekend.  Originally, my goal was sub-1:00 (that's a stretch goal, my over-40 PR is 1:01:38). I'd been training with a coach but...I started being plagued with a sore hip about 5-6 weeks ago.  I ignored it.  That did not help.  So going into this weekend I was ordered to run maybe 5k and walk the second half.  I didn't do that, but I did run/ walk, and my friend who kept telling me to "get out of your head and keep running!" I eventually told to shut up (nicely) with "I'm not in my head, my hip hurts".  So I took a long walk break from 5-5.7 miles so that I could run the last half mile.  Anyhoo - 1:20 for the 10k, and I saw a friend pass me in the last 1/10 of a mile and she was finishing the 10-miler, ha!  Not only NOT a PR but my 10k PW.

In addition to the hip, it was a suck-fest because it was flipping hot.  I iced my hip after (which helped), but I had a flipping heat-induced migraine for hours, 8 hours?  After the third Ibuprofen I went to bed at 8:20 pm and it went away in my sleep.  I just don't do well in the heat.

So, what next?  Coach and I have agreed I need to rest the hip, stretch.  May need to see the physical therapist (or acupuncture or chiro).  I'm going to dial back the running to 2x a week once I've healed and maybe set a winter race goal (January). 

I was thinking last week, during one of my nights of insomnia that I seem to know 3 types of runners
1.  The "runners".  Like the 10 miler woman who passed me (and she was running 20, those 10 were the middle 10), running is their thing.  They are fast, they train for it, they are built for it.  They train for races, but even when they aren't training for a race, they are running.

2.  The "racers".  These are people who can step back away from running for months (and do other things), and pick it right back up, train for a couple of months, and pull off a sub-2 hour (for women) half marathon.  I know several women like this.

3.  The wannabes?  The work horses? I don't know how to describe myself here.  But I am not fast.  If I make a concentrated effort at training, I can get faster.  It takes MONTHS of work.  (I managed to go from half marathon pace of 13:00 to 10:45 but that took 18 months.  In the same time, my 10k pace went from 12:00 to just barely sub-10).  And the thing is, I have to be constantly training to maintain that pace.  If I stop - like when I got injured last year - there is no "picking it back up".  I have been running again since late Jan/ early Feb, and training since March.  The fastest 10k I've managed is 10:23 pace, and that was in the midst of my hip injury starting.

I have several other friends that I know that are similar.  We've worked very hard to hit a certain distance or pace but it's SUPER fragile.  (And the pace is 10:00+)

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #488 on: September 17, 2019, 01:11:34 AM »
I'm not certain that anyone ever feels like a racer or a runner - we're all wannabes to an extent, trying to get to a number we may never reach.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #489 on: September 17, 2019, 06:48:32 AM »
@mm1970 - you have a lot of good information in the evaluation of runners in your post. I do think that you have it summarized quite a bit easier than it sounds. While there are certainly “natural” runners, I would say many of these people have trained for some sort of athletics their whole life. I.e. a soccer player is going to transition to running as an adult much better than a softball catcher.

My sister in law has probably done 50-100 marathons in her life. I think her PR is in the upper 3:30’s. When I was visiting last month, we were talking about running, and she mentioned she “doesn’t really run anymore.” She hasn’t done a race in a couple years probably. When I asked her how many miles she does still run, she said, “Oh, around 20-25 miles/wk.”

You also mention the people below that are always running, when not preparing for a race. I would put myself in that category. Even though I’ve only been running about 15 months, only one of those months I’ve actually “trained for a race.” I just enjoy running otherwise. I still push myself on my own, do long runs, short runs, mile repeats, recovery runs, etc. I think this is going to cause me to excel in the long run. There’s definitely countless setbacks for people that train hard for 3-4 months for a race, then turn around and take months off afterwards. They will definitely go backwards, some people worse than others.

I would say that going from a half marathon pace of 13 min/mile to 10:45 min/mile over 18 months is pretty reasonable for any average person. Imagine, no injuries, and continuing to run, I would bet that over another 18 consecutive months after that, you could be at 9:30 or so, which is also a very respectable time. People that run for 10+ years continually with those type of reasonable gains will look like runners no matter what, even if it seemed like they didn’t at first.

I have never in my life been a distance runner. Until last year I had never ran over 2 miles continuously. I played some sports in high school (wrestling for a couple years, football for a couple years) but that was it. I’ve lifted weights non stop since high school mostly, and now I’m 31.

I’ll never forget my very first “really hard run I was beyond impressed with” on July 6th last year, about a month after I started running. It was my first run over 2 miles. I did 3.68 miles at a 10:14/mile pace, and I truly felt like I left everything out on the table. I was so impressed with myself. I have now been running non stop since then (barring a few short breaks for injury recovery). Sunday was my shorter “long” run day, and I ended up with a sub 9 minute pace for 8 miles and it felt fantastic.

I think that the biggest step for any run is learning to add distance and speed without injury, while also not taking any breaks longer than those planned. I.e. maybe a week off a few times a year. Period, hands down, this can make nearly anyone a “good” runner. Learning to love without needing to do it with a specific race makes all the distance in the world, because you can keep consistently training. There’s also the mental factor, which deserves it’s own several paragraphs.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #490 on: September 17, 2019, 09:55:11 AM »
I think that the biggest step for any run is learning to add distance and speed without injury, while also not taking any breaks longer than those planned. I.e. maybe a week off a few times a year. Period, hands down, this can make nearly anyone a “good” runner. Learning to love without needing to do it with a specific race makes all the distance in the world, because you can keep consistently training. There’s also the mental factor, which deserves it’s own several paragraphs.

This is the key right here - I think for me (my own struggles), and those of several friends - I'm almost 50, and I'm not built like a runner, so for distance - I just tend to have a lot more physical overuse injuries than many others.  (Many reasons why, age, build, form.) Even this morning, at the pool again for the first time in months, I was chatting with a guy around my age and he said "I stretch now.  I have to stretch.  A lot.  Or everything hurts." And this a guy who swims an hour every day.  I've come to realize that at my age, I basically have to spend an equal amount of time "preparing" for exercise (foam rolling, stretching, etc.) as I do exercising.  That makes TRAINING for things difficult, because the amount of time I have to exercise is finite (full time job, two young-ish children).

I'm hoping that I can recover from the hip thing quickly, because I was up to running 4-7 miles 3x a week consistently - which is great for me.

The mental thing - yeah, I suck at that.  Have for awhile, don't really have the desire to change it.  I like, and need, to exercise with people. I want this to be fun, I am no martyr. In the absence of my running groups I've been cultivating my own...have a few friends coming to track with me on Tuesdays, an old friend who likes to run with her dog on Thursdays, another big open group on Saturday (of course, once I've tackled the hip).

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #491 on: September 17, 2019, 08:03:51 PM »
Since this is MMM... and I don't really have anyplace else to ask it.

How much would you pay to keep running? When do you call it quits?

Not equipment and registration, which is not cheap, but health.  I've got some health issues going on that I probably need a MRI and/or a Cat scan just to figure out what is going on. Each probably $750+ plus the cost to fix whatever they find.

I've got circulation problems in my legs & hips that are causing some weird muscle pains at different times. Cat Scan

Something is going on in my knees & hips but it's not arthritis.  MRI

The joint on my big toe is messed up. Orthopedist called it hallix rigidus. Said to stop running or RICE and ibuprofen(so I take ibuprofen the forever?) try carbon fiber insoles inserts. Didn't help. Steroid injections, MRI and possible surgery. This is the one that gets worse the more I run. My las race I could hardly walk after I was finished.

I'll probably do the Cat scan since it could be more important to my ongoing health, but the others don't necessarily affect my overall health unless I continue to run and make them worse.

I'm 58. I started running around 50 for health reasons and just kept going. Just looking at my FB pictures it's been a major part of my life since then but it's hard to put a value on it and decide is it worth it. I'm pretty slow and only way I can place is if no one else shows up. I still try but I don't make that the goal. The goal is to finish. I got into trail running and the people there are great!  I had a 54k last year and I came into the aid station with a 1 minute cutoff and I was ready to quit. Everyone there was trying to help me and get whatever I needed and get back out for the last loop. I left with 10 seconds to spare. I ended up DFL but DFL beats DNF any day. I've run 100 meters to 100k and there are a lot of races I'd still like to run but I've got to be realistic, age is catching me faster than I can run from it. I'd love to run Boston but I could never qualify. I've tried to get on charity teams for the last few years with no success.

I've got a physical next week. So I'll talk to my primary doc and see what he thinks.

Anyway I'm just rambling now. Maybe I'm just too f'n old and broken to keep running and maybe it's time to retire from running.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #492 on: September 18, 2019, 12:11:01 PM »

Not equipment and registration, which is not cheap, but health.  I've got some health issues going on that I probably need a MRI and/or a Cat scan just to figure out what is going on. Each probably $750+ plus the cost to fix whatever they find.

I've got circulation problems in my legs & hips that are causing some weird muscle pains at different times. Cat Scan

The joint on my big toe is messed up. Orthopedist called it hallix rigidus. Said to stop running or RICE and ibuprofen(so I take ibuprofen the forever?) try carbon fiber insoles inserts. Didn't help. Steroid injections, MRI and possible surgery. This is the one that gets worse the more I run. My las race I could hardly walk after I was finished.

I'll probably do the Cat scan since it could be more important to my ongoing health, but the others don't necessarily affect my overall health unless I continue to run and make them worse.

I'm 58. I started running around 50 for health reasons and just kept going. Just looking at my FB pictures it's been a major part of my life since then but it's hard to put a value on it and decide is it worth it. I'm pretty slow and only way I can place is if no one else shows up. I still try but I don't make that the goal. The goal is to finish. I got into trail running and the people there are great!  I had a 54k last year and I came into the aid station with a 1 minute cutoff and I was ready to quit. Everyone there was trying to help me and get whatever I needed and get back out for the last loop. I left with 10 seconds to spare. I ended up DFL but DFL beats DNF any day. I've run 100 meters to 100k and there are a lot of races I'd still like to run but I've got to be realistic, age is catching me faster than I can run from it. I'd love to run Boston but I could never qualify. I've tried to get on charity teams for the last few years with no success.

I've got a physical next week. So I'll talk to my primary doc and see what he thinks.

Anyway I'm just rambling now. Maybe I'm just too f'n old and broken to keep running and maybe it's time to retire from running.
I've been meaning to ask, what is DFL stand for?

I guess it depends on how much you  love it.  I know some people who love it so much they are willing to put up with a LOT to keep doing it.  Med calls, special equipment, PT, ibuprofen, special shoes...doesn't matter how fast they are, they are willing to do it.

I do not love it so much.  I enjoy exercise and consider myself adaptable.  If I was plagued with constant pain while running and could not figure out how to get through it with stretching, PT, and the like?  I'd simply substitute something else.  Bicycling, walking, hiking, lifting, swimming, dance...whatever.  Some of the issues that I suffer from I think are related to distance/ time / use.  I can do many things for 30-45 minutes, but after that, things hurt.

So maybe that's an answer. 

I have a friend who I met when she was 57.  We were training for the 3-day Breast cancer walk.  She's done one every year (60 miles in 3 days).  At that time, she was playing tennis and tap dancing also.  Over the next decade and a half, she had to make changes.  Her joints were not happy with those things.  First, she dropped tap dancing.  A few years later, tennis.  She continued to walk, and she added a low-impact boot camp class.  She added a special stretching class and some weightlifting (all at the YMCA).

She's now 75, still doing an annual breast cancer walk, though it's a lot harder.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #493 on: September 18, 2019, 12:57:03 PM »
DFL=Dead F'n Last

I've been trying doing other things like a boot camp type of work out, yoga  twice a week and riding. Legs are still a problem sometimes. Up until now the benefits seemed to out weigh the negatives but the scale is starting to tip the other way.

I've got some badass friends close to my age and older still running 100+ milers and make it look easy. 

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #494 on: September 18, 2019, 01:07:06 PM »

I’m 31 and have had 3 hernia surgeries. While hernias are largely hereditary, certain activities (lifting really heavy things) can make them occur, especially if already pre-disposed to them.

After my second one, my dad (who is 61 and has been lifting weights his whole life) asked me, “Do you think with the hernia surgeries you may stop or cut back on weight lifting?”

Without a hesitation I told him that, “I’ll have a hernia surgery every single year if it means continuing to work out.”

This is something you have to decide on your own and how much you love running. If possible, it’d be great to find something of less impact to your health issues that you can learn to love as much. I have cut back on my lifting and learned to love running, which I never would have expected. I still lift a couple times a week, however.

Also - after a certain point, you won’t have the decision whether you want to continue, either due to age or due to the injuries.. Your personal financial situation also makes a big difference as I see you mentioning the costs to repair these injuries as well.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #495 on: September 18, 2019, 03:54:12 PM »
I am thinking of signing up for a fast and flat marathon early next year with hopes of... running fast.

Not sure I can BQ. My age/gender the time is 3:45 and they accepted 3:40 last year. That's pretty fast IMO.

I've only run one marathon before. I ran 4:08 at Big Sur a couple years back. I figure I can shave off at least 10 minutes for the elevation of that course (for those of you who don't know it has a 2 mile long hill, and many others). That leaves me with ~15 minutes to improve. Which I think I can do. Possibly. My 13.1 PR is 1:49. So in theory, just have to do that twice and I'm golden. :D

Would love any thoughts/tips/suggestions from those who have been there. I need to pick a plan- last time I did a modified Hal Higdon with extra runs and averaged around 35-40 miles a week. I know I need to bump that up and incorporate more speed work than I did last time. Thinking of Hansens this year. Also contemplating getting a coach- though I've never used one for any of my athletic endeavors before.

Thanks. I'm ok with a heavier training load (I did an ironman in May which is way more time training!) so I think I can get there. At least I can train the load -not sure I can make the time. If not I will have fun and enjoy the ride. Also reviewing Pfitzinger's plans as well. So I'm considering Eugene in April....

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #496 on: September 18, 2019, 04:44:41 PM »
I’m 31 and have had 3 hernia surgeries. While hernias are largely hereditary, certain activities (lifting really heavy things) can make them occur, especially if already pre-disposed to them.

After my second one, my dad (who is 61 and has been lifting weights his whole life) asked me, “Do you think with the hernia surgeries you may stop or cut back on weight lifting?”

Without a hesitation I told him that, “I’ll have a hernia surgery every single year if it means continuing to work out.”

This is something you have to decide on your own and how much you love running. If possible, it’d be great to find something of less impact to your health issues that you can learn to love as much. I have cut back on my lifting and learned to love running, which I never would have expected. I still lift a couple times a week, however.

Also - after a certain point, you won’t have the decision whether you want to continue, either due to age or due to the injuries.. Your personal financial situation also makes a big difference as I see you mentioning the costs to repair these injuries as well.

It's not the cost itself With insurance it probably wouldn't be over $5k total. I was just trying to look at it from a mustachian point of view. A cost/benefit analysis or ROI. Like buying a new Tesla  versus a used Prius.

If it's medically necessary I wouldn't hesitate but if it's an elective procedure to improve or continue to run is it worth it.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #497 on: September 19, 2019, 10:13:34 AM »

It's not the cost itself With insurance it probably wouldn't be over $5k total. I was just trying to look at it from a mustachian point of view. A cost/benefit analysis or ROI. Like buying a new Tesla  versus a used Prius.

If it's medically necessary I wouldn't hesitate but if it's an elective procedure to improve or continue to run is it worth it.

I would say that personal health is much more mustachian than a Tesla, regardless of the cost (aside from like cosmetic health).

I brought up cost, as it still depends a lot person to person. For some people, $5000 might be 1/3 of what they save in a month and for others, $5000 might be what they save in 5 months.

You also have to look at the probability of success in addressing these health issues. How likely are they to be successful to get them back to your goals?

Anyways - lot to consider. “I” would say go for it, but there’s a lot for you to look at. Good luck with whatever path you decide!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #498 on: September 21, 2019, 12:34:17 PM »
I’ve been seeing this thread in my feed with some jealousy for a while now. I finally got the post partum pass from my doctor to start officially exercising again, and went on my first run this morning. Sweet! 5.25km and I felt good. This was by far the best post partum first run I’ve ever had. I credit doing my damnedest to stay in shape while pregnant.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #499 on: September 21, 2019, 05:50:47 PM »
I’ve been seeing this thread in my feed with some jealousy for a while now. I finally got the post partum pass from my doctor to start officially exercising again, and went on my first run this morning. Sweet! 5.25km and I felt good. This was by far the best post partum first run I’ve ever had. I credit doing my damnedest to stay in shape while pregnant.

Aww that gives me the warm fuzzies :)   Congrats @ysette9

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!