Author Topic: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread  (Read 67944 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread
« Reply #400 on: July 21, 2019, 09:02:32 PM »
... making running a habit is just like forming every other habit... you just have to keep doing it. 98% of the effort is just tying up your shoelaces, after that its easy :)

Says the person who didn't have to stop to re-tie their shoelace during that 11.1k! Not my finest moment.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #401 on: July 22, 2019, 01:36:45 AM »
... making running a habit is just like forming every other habit... you just have to keep doing it. 98% of the effort is just tying up your shoelaces, after that its easy :)

Says the person who didn't have to stop to re-tie their shoelace during that 11.1k! Not my finest moment.

Every weekend at Parkrun you tell me "double knot!" And then look what happened in this event :D

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #402 on: July 25, 2019, 11:22:25 AM »
Had a “cold front” coming through the south central US right now, and it was 70 degrees with 77% humidity at 5:30 a.m. this morning for my 6 mile run. It was a pretty easy run at a 10 minute/mile pace. Sure makes me especially pumped for fall/winter weather again. My heart rate was 140 bpm average which was in the range I was aiming for as well.

I’m debating doing my 2nd 5k over Labor Day weekend when I have some family come visit. My first 5K I hit 22:43 (this May) and I think if all goes well I could probably break under 22 minutes. My last one I was in the middle of some injuries and the month leading up to the race my mileage was basically cut in half. It’s something I think I’d like to do now, but I’m just enjoying running in general so I’ll decide based on how I feel as it gets closer. I’ll pick up my mileage a bit with some interval workouts and go from there. They have sign up until the week of, so there’s time to decide.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #403 on: July 27, 2019, 10:31:50 AM »
Did some interval training this morning for the first time in almost 4 months. I did a 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down. Then I did 3 hard (1) mile runs in between with about a 5 minute break in between. First time breaking 7 minute miles in my interval runs, 6:51, 6:51, 6:55.

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #404 on: July 27, 2019, 08:35:25 PM »
Ran 6.2 miles today, plus warm up and cool down. I realized afterwards that it was the farthest I have ever ran in my life. 11 weeks to go till the race!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #405 on: July 28, 2019, 04:43:34 PM »
My running club had their gala day on Sunday and I participated in the half marathon.

It was a trail course with lots of rolling hills, and I was planning to run 1:55 given this is not the sort of track to be able to go really fast. I was on pace for that up to about 9km (5:27/km).

But having gone out at such an easy pace I had a lot left in the tank and came home much faster, running 5:15's for the last 8km.

Finished in 1:52:11, which is a five minute PB, and a really good sign for the next HM on a flat track in 4 weeks time!

Consistently running 140-150km a month has given me this result - last year I was only running half of that per month.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #406 on: July 28, 2019, 05:45:01 PM »
Fantastic pace PR @marty998

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #407 on: July 28, 2019, 08:37:54 PM »
I recently switched my commute from a 1.9 (x2) mile walk to a 1.9 (x2) mile run. I had not been able to run for years because of knee pain. I recently solved that (muscle imbalance). Now I am coping with a general "muscles and joints have not run this much in years" issue. Achilles tendons seem to be tight as a result of tight calves. Hopefully when I get that solved I can be running to work four days per week, or ~15 miles weekly for now.

BookValue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #408 on: July 30, 2019, 05:49:27 AM »
Figured I'd post an update. Sounds like a lot of people are doing well with their running this year!
Took a few weeks off after the last race to recover. Been dealing with Plantar Fasciitis which comes and goes, but have kept it somewhat at bay with a golf ball and foam rolling.

Officially starting my 12 week plan for the next half marathon this week. Averaged nearly 20 MPW the last 7 weeks, so I'm starting with a much stronger base this time (around 12 MPW then). Also running at a new park with some hills which is definitely helping to improve my leg strength.

Will be doing at least one 5k in September, and would like to get a medal. The race is for a good cause, but the owner of the venue actively discriminates against LGBTQ people, so I'll wear a pride shirt and hope he's handing out the medals. He makes no money off the race, so figured this would be a good way to 'protest.' I'll be doing intervals once a week for the next month, then switch over to tempo's closer to the half to get a feel for my goal race pace (sub 2).

Overall I feel I'm progressing well, but I wish my pace was getting faster. I think the weather is slowing me down pretty significantly - even at 6am it's been in the 70's with high humidity. Never thought I'd say this, but I miss winter running.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #409 on: July 30, 2019, 06:46:52 AM »
I recently switched my commute from a 1.9 (x2) mile walk to a 1.9 (x2) mile run. I had not been able to run for years because of knee pain. I recently solved that (muscle imbalance). Now I am coping with a general "muscles and joints have not run this much in years" issue. Achilles tendons seem to be tight as a result of tight calves. Hopefully when I get that solved I can be running to work four days per week, or ~15 miles weekly for now.

Ooh it took me a long time to get through this. Much as your legs are telling you never run again, the answer is simply to do more running haha.

ginjaninja

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #410 on: July 31, 2019, 08:19:42 AM »
After my race I got a stress fracture in my tibia.  I am in week 2 of the prescribed 4-6 weeks without running, biking, or swimming and its killing me slowly.

Anyone have advice on how to cardio with only upper body workouts?  I am trying to do HIIT style workouts with back, chest, shoulders, abs, but my muscles fatigue faster than my heart rate can get to the 150-165 range. 

Going from running 30-40 miles/week to nothing has been so hard!! I hope none of you never need to deal with this.

@BookValue I think the heat has more to do with pace than any practice I can do.  Do you find that intervals help?  Do you prefer ladders or sticking to the same timing throughout the run?

BookValue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #411 on: July 31, 2019, 09:45:01 AM »
@BookValue I think the heat has more to do with pace than any practice I can do.  Do you find that intervals help?  Do you prefer ladders or sticking to the same timing throughout the run?

Pretty new to speed work, so I"m trying a few things. Did a tempo run today at half pace, and will be starting up intervals next week. Figure I'll experiment to see how my body responds and find what I enjoy doing.

ginjaninja

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #412 on: July 31, 2019, 09:50:13 AM »
Let us know what works!  I am curious as to what works best for individuals for increasing speed.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #413 on: July 31, 2019, 10:30:47 AM »
After my race I got a stress fracture in my tibia.  I am in week 2 of the prescribed 4-6 weeks without running, biking, or swimming and its killing me slowly.

Anyone have advice on how to cardio with only upper body workouts?  I am trying to do HIIT style workouts with back, chest, shoulders, abs, but my muscles fatigue faster than my heart rate can get to the 150-165 range. 

Going from running 30-40 miles/week to nothing has been so hard!! I hope none of you never need to deal with this.

I've used hand pedal machines before in a gym.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #414 on: July 31, 2019, 11:57:28 AM »
I'm back from crewing for my brother's latest race. Sadly he dropped after 65 miles...he was SO strong and up in the top 10 but couldn't get his head back in the race after getting pinned down by a lightning storm overnight and having to run back to an aid station. It was disappointing, but I definitely have more motivation myself to get back to running. I haven't run at all since mid-June; I had PF flare up as well and it's still bothering me. Time to get back to regular yoga and get my act together.

My husband, 18 year old son, and I are thinking about signing up for the Jack and Jill Marathon next July in Washington state...

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #415 on: August 02, 2019, 09:49:45 AM »
Just checking in to track my progress.

I did run every morning in July, five minutes walk warm-up and about 20 min of jogging/walking. Last week of July I was alternating 5warm-8jog-5walk-8jog with 5warm-20jog; is going well, but the last 3 min of 20 min non stop are quite hard.

Starting tracking weight as well:
W= 80.3kg/177lb (first Mon of Aug)

Goals for August:
Run: Be able to do a full week of 25min jog non-stop, hopefully I can do that by the last two weeks of Aug.
W: 77kg/170lb - I hope to reach this by replacing some portions of carbs with salad/veggies, not too worried about this one.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #416 on: August 03, 2019, 02:32:56 AM »
I'm back from crewing for my brother's latest race. Sadly he dropped after 65 miles...he was SO strong and up in the top 10 but couldn't get his head back in the race after getting pinned down by a lightning storm overnight and having to run back to an aid station. It was disappointing, but I definitely have more motivation myself to get back to running. I haven't run at all since mid-June; I had PF flare up as well and it's still bothering me. Time to get back to regular yoga and get my act together.

My husband, 18 year old son, and I are thinking about signing up for the Jack and Jill Marathon next July in Washington state...

Go for it @FireHiker! Your son won't want you to have bragging rights after you beat him haha

________

I ran a new 5k PB today - 22:10! Pretty chuffed :)

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #417 on: August 03, 2019, 06:33:51 AM »
Congrats on the 5K PR @marty998 !! I’m hoping for a 5k PR in a few weeks but we’ll see. I try not to get my hopes up too much. I feel like when the weather cools this fall/winter things will pick up a lot after doing so many 100+ degree runs all summer.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #418 on: August 03, 2019, 07:37:34 AM »
I must be the world's slowest runner! I have done several parkruns, around 43 min (I only started running last year, at age 51).

My preferred way of running is barefoot, on the beach. It was 12C this morning and I did my usual slow 5k -ish. I ran on a different stretch of sand than usual, so I wasn't sure of the exact distance.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #419 on: August 03, 2019, 05:18:49 PM »
Congrats on the 5K PR @marty998 !! I’m hoping for a 5k PR in a few weeks but we’ll see. I try not to get my hopes up too much. I feel like when the weather cools this fall/winter things will pick up a lot after doing so many 100+ degree runs all summer.

This is the one you want to get under 22 right? You should do your runs in the early morning or after sunset when it's not so hot. Always a bit nicer running in the evening with a cool breeze.

The easy gains are over for me now haha. The training effort for each incremental gain on a 5k is starting to get very large!

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #420 on: August 03, 2019, 06:25:56 PM »

This is the one you want to get under 22 right? You should do your runs in the early morning or after sunset when it's not so hot. Always a bit nicer running in the evening with a cool breeze.

The easy gains are over for me now haha. The training effort for each incremental gain on a 5k is starting to get very large!

Shooting for under 22! We’ll see. I’ve been running for about 14 months now consistently, but have only ran one timed race. No idea where I am at in terms of plateauing. It’s so hot right now (even in the morning is often 80 and humid) so hard to gauge where I’m at vs the 50’s and 60’s in the late fall/early spring.

While our 5k times are pretty close, your long times crush anything I can do. I’m shooting for an 8 mile run in the morning which will be my longest ever. Granted, I’m currently in AZ which is incredibly dry vs my normal humidity. Also, when i plan to go around 5-6 a.m. it’s still going to be about 88 degrees. Anyways, I’m going to still give it a shot.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 11:09:37 AM by use2betrix »

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #421 on: August 04, 2019, 04:31:11 AM »
Just joining this thread.  I've been running for the last 10 years - am 47 now. 

Usually run between 12-20 miles per week - not terribly fast, 10 min /mile.

I've run four marathons, many half marathons, and many 5Ks.

I belong to a weekend running group that talks about life during the runs and running at coffee afterwards. 

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #422 on: August 05, 2019, 10:09:58 AM »

Go for it @FireHiker! Your son won't want you to have bragging rights after you beat him haha

________

I ran a new 5k PB today - 22:10! Pretty chuffed :)

Ha ha, I love you for saying that. There's no way in hell I can beat him in a marathon, even if I were to retire tomorrow and spend an entire year training, but if we can all finish I'll be elated. Congrats on your new personal best!

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #423 on: August 05, 2019, 10:37:41 PM »

Ooh it took me a long time to get through this. Much as your legs are telling you never run again, the answer is simply to do more running haha.
It is mostly tendons as a result of tight muscles far as I can tell. After a week of stretching I am already much better. Need to stretch those calves whenever possible!
In the week of: I ran:
July 1: 1 day
July 8: 2 days
July 15: 3 days
July 22: 4 days
July 29: 1 day (ouchy...too painful)
August 5: 3 days planned...

pegleglolita

• Stubble
« Reply #424 on: August 11, 2019, 03:45:02 PM »
UGH.  It's 95 degrees and 98% humidity down here.  Heckin' gross, y'all!  I hate the treadmill, but this weather can kiss my arse.  Walking outside is like heading into a gravity storm.   

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #425 on: August 11, 2019, 08:55:49 PM »
Today I did both my longest and hottest run to date.

Heat index of 111 degrees, and did an 8 mile run. Previously I’d only done a handful of 7 mile runs and countless at 6 miles. My pace was slow at about 10:50/mile, but at 111 degrees I was just happy I didn’t die lol.

ginjaninja

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #426 on: August 12, 2019, 07:56:36 AM »
It is going to be super hot where I am this week, but I don't even care because it has been 4 weeks since my stress fracture and I am now allowed to start some walking/running!!!!!!!

Time felt like it simultaneously slowed down and sped past all at once.  I found a 50k for December 14th with 8800K of elevation gain that I might be interested in training for.  We shall see!  I am going to take it easy for the next couple of weeks and start ramping up as my leg allows. 

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #427 on: August 13, 2019, 09:24:53 AM »
Did a 5 mile run at 5 a.m. this morning. At 5 a.m. the heat index was still 90 degrees F. I did 4 miles alternating 1/2 mile run/jog. Run’s were at 7 min/mile, jogs at about 9 min/mile.

I am currently planning, though not signed up, for a 5K in about 3 weeks. If this heat doesn’t break soon I may push back until it cools down a bit more. I love running in general and my actual races I plan to do are to hit new PR’s. While my running is going great, I don’t know that I am interested to run a slow race in the heat right now.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #428 on: August 13, 2019, 06:33:14 PM »
My running club had their gala day on Sunday and I participated in the half marathon.

It was a trail course with lots of rolling hills, and I was planning to run 1:55 given this is not the sort of track to be able to go really fast. I was on pace for that up to about 9km (5:27/km).

But having gone out at such an easy pace I had a lot left in the tank and came home much faster, running 5:15's for the last 8km.

Finished in 1:52:11, which is a five minute PB, and a really good sign for the next HM on a flat track in 4 weeks time!

Consistently running 140-150km a month has given me this result - last year I was only running half of that per month.
Whoa. Go you!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #429 on: August 13, 2019, 06:41:31 PM »
So, I'm kind of on the struggle bus.  I've been working with a run coach to try and do a "fast" (for me) 10k.

Last year I ran that crazy uphill half marathon, and pulled a 1:01:38 flat 10k shortly thereafter.  This year, don't have it in me to do that uphill half.  So I'm working on speed, trying to get back the speed I had before my injury last year.

It's hard yo.
First, I've been lifting and eating ice cream, so I've gained about 8 lbs.  That doesn't help.
Second, I was on vacation in Denmark for 2 weeks and I caught a cold and I dealt with a lot of jet lag.
I ran 6x in the 2 weeks on vacation (yay me!), and it was beautiful, but it was a little humid and a bit of a struggle.

Since I've been back, still struggling.  Today, did speed work and coach suggested that I run my "10k pace" splits at 9:00/mile, which means the 5k splits faster.  It was a STRUGGLE to hit 9:00 on my 10k splits (today: 600m), and I only managed faster than that for my 5k splits once out of the 4. 

It means I'm unlikely to reach my goal of a sub-1:00 10k in mid-Sept.  After that, a choice: KEEP TRYING, or take a break.  It's hard for me to:
1.  Concentrate on a goal for more than 8 weeks
2.  Run without people.  I do much better with groups than I do by myself.

Sigh.

On a plus note, a very old friend from my Navy days (circa the 1990s) moved into town and is looking for a running buddy.  When she's back into running, she'll prob be faster than me, but I'm looking forward to some company in the meantime.  Plus, we are 50-ish, it's okay to slow down.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #430 on: August 13, 2019, 10:18:39 PM »
So, I'm kind of on the struggle bus.  I've been working with a run coach to try and do a "fast" (for me) 10k.

Last year I ran that crazy uphill half marathon, and pulled a 1:01:38 flat 10k shortly thereafter.  This year, don't have it in me to do that uphill half.  So I'm working on speed, trying to get back the speed I had before my injury last year.

It's hard yo.
First, I've been lifting and eating ice cream, so I've gained about 8 lbs.  That doesn't help.
Second, I was on vacation in Denmark for 2 weeks and I caught a cold and I dealt with a lot of jet lag.
I ran 6x in the 2 weeks on vacation (yay me!), and it was beautiful, but it was a little humid and a bit of a struggle.

Since I've been back, still struggling.  Today, did speed work and coach suggested that I run my "10k pace" splits at 9:00/mile, which means the 5k splits faster.  It was a STRUGGLE to hit 9:00 on my 10k splits (today: 600m), and I only managed faster than that for my 5k splits once out of the 4. 

It means I'm unlikely to reach my goal of a sub-1:00 10k in mid-Sept.  After that, a choice: KEEP TRYING, or take a break.  It's hard for me to:
1.  Concentrate on a goal for more than 8 weeks
2.  Run without people.  I do much better with groups than I do by myself.

Sigh.

On a plus note, a very old friend from my Navy days (circa the 1990s) moved into town and is looking for a running buddy.  When she's back into running, she'll prob be faster than me, but I'm looking forward to some company in the meantime.  Plus, we are 50-ish, it's okay to slow down.

Hey, speaking of 50-ish (not there yet), I just read "Faster After 50" and it's great! Now, it gets a little technical and confusing in one part (about power meters and VO2 max and lactate threshold), and I don't like his term "dosage" since it sounds medical, but his point is we too often drop the intensity as we age, and that's absolutely the last thing we should do!

It was so inspiring. I have been getting slower and slower, but can still run forever.

Basically the key to fast times as we get older (and no, 50 is not a magical line in the sand):

1. Work on intensity (can be very short intervals at first, like 30 seconds, one session a week). Much less long slow distance!
2. Work on STRENGTH, generally sport-specific. I was big into lifting and have stopped for a few years now.
3. Ensure adequate recovery, so instead of a training plan spread out over a 7-day week, your week may be 9 or 10 days long.
4. Aerobics is the least important exercise to do

Wisdom plays a huge part in this book. He's 70+, by the way. Super inspiring book!!! We don't *have* to slow down if we don't want to!

That said, re your quote, always listen to your body! Maybe you need more recovery time.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #431 on: August 14, 2019, 11:26:45 AM »
Hey, speaking of 50-ish (not there yet), I just read "Faster After 50" and it's great! Now, it gets a little technical and confusing in one part (about power meters and VO2 max and lactate threshold), and I don't like his term "dosage" since it sounds medical, but his point is we too often drop the intensity as we age, and that's absolutely the last thing we should do!

It was so inspiring. I have been getting slower and slower, but can still run forever.

Basically the key to fast times as we get older (and no, 50 is not a magical line in the sand):

1. Work on intensity (can be very short intervals at first, like 30 seconds, one session a week). Much less long slow distance!
2. Work on STRENGTH, generally sport-specific. I was big into lifting and have stopped for a few years now.
3. Ensure adequate recovery, so instead of a training plan spread out over a 7-day week, your week may be 9 or 10 days long.
4. Aerobics is the least important exercise to do

Wisdom plays a huge part in this book. He's 70+, by the way. Super inspiring book!!! We don't *have* to slow down if we don't want to!

That said, re your quote, always listen to your body! Maybe you need more recovery time.
Yeah, I hit 50 next year.  I think I may need more recovery also - but I do only run 3x a week.

Luckily? My favorite thing to do is speed work on the track.  Once/ week.  Long/ slow is just not my jam right now, though I have a long run coming up.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #432 on: August 16, 2019, 10:44:31 AM »
Time for the Habanero 100 in Cat Springs Texas! Start time is high noon. The expected high around 100. It's a 6ish mile sun & sand loop course.

I'm seriously undertrained so I dropped to the 30k and will run the 1st 3rd and 5th loop of my friends 50k, 3 10k's with 1.5 hr between. I ran in the 5 person 100 mile relay last year.

We're all gonna die!

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #433 on: August 16, 2019, 07:50:39 PM »
Time for the Habanero 100 in Cat Springs Texas! Start time is high noon. The expected high around 100. It's a 6ish mile sun & sand loop course.

I'm seriously undertrained so I dropped to the 30k and will run the 1st 3rd and 5th loop of my friends 50k, 3 10k's with 1.5 hr between. I ran in the 5 person 100 mile relay last year.

We're all gonna die!

How’d it go?? Friday seems an odd day for a race!

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #434 on: August 16, 2019, 07:56:52 PM »
August 5: 2 days
August 12: 2.5 days

Even with lots of calf stretching in hot showers, the tendons are pretty sore here...

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #435 on: August 16, 2019, 08:26:53 PM »

We're all gonna die!

How’d it go?? Friday seems an odd day for a race!

It’s not till Saturday. Today was travel.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #436 on: August 17, 2019, 09:39:43 AM »
Had a good run today - 5 miles in 40:49. Wasn’t sure if I was gonna make it under my goal of 8:15/mile but I did. Temp was about 90 degrees which played a factor. Sure can’t wait for fall/winter to see how much these times drop. I signed up for my first half this coming January. My goal is under 2 hours.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #437 on: August 18, 2019, 01:36:29 PM »
I ended up run/walking the 30k straight through in 6:01 51 of 70. It was of 98-100 with a feels like 105+ for most of the race. It was brutal! 650 crazy people attempting between 10k to 100 miles. Lot's of dnf's. I walked the third loop with a member of my club who had a tough second loop. She went on to finish her 50k.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #438 on: August 18, 2019, 02:33:29 PM »
I ended up run/walking the 30k straight through in 6:01 51 of 70. It was of 98-100 with a feels like 105+ for most of the race. It was brutal! 650 crazy people attempting between 10k to 100 miles. Lot's of dnf's. I walked the third loop with a member of my club who had a tough second loop. She went on to finish her 50k.

Congrats!   Running in temps like that is no joke.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #439 on: August 18, 2019, 07:18:51 PM »
My brother is in town, and has been unintentionally wrecking my running schedule.

Normal long run day is Monday, but I took Friday off to hang out. He needed to get remote hours in, and I wanted to relax after a stressful week and get chores done around the house, so I moved my long run up to Friday. 9 miles on a gravel trail, it was nice. He was dying to go to New York, so we woke up early on Saturday and ended up walking 15 miles around the city that day...

All day today I was wondering what I was thinking. Thankfully, I'm not too sore and today is a rest day.

Here's to a fun 3 miles tomorrow though...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #440 on: August 19, 2019, 12:37:51 PM »

Congrats!   Running in temps like that is no joke.
No kidding.  My first uphill half it was 95F (so felt like 100F) for much of it.  Had to walk the last 9 miles which killed my hips and legs, which were used to run/walking.

FOUR HOURS it took me. Blech.  Two years ago and it feels like yesterday.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #441 on: August 20, 2019, 08:20:20 PM »
I kook at what it was like.

https://youtu.be/sIttDMSoOik

I've got a brief cameo at 15:01 on the right with a white hat & sides

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #442 on: August 21, 2019, 04:46:46 AM »
I saw a couple of race reports on reddit about Habenaro. Sounds really oppressive!

August 5: 2 days
August 12: 2.5 days

Even with lots of calf stretching in hot showers, the tendons are pretty sore here...

Ok you're going to have to explain the half day to us. Just like you can't be half pregnant, you can't half run a day?    :)

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #443 on: August 21, 2019, 12:49:36 PM »

BigFoot? I have a lot of friends who were in that race...

J&J is a good BQ course... would love to have you out here.... :D

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #444 on: August 21, 2019, 12:56:06 PM »
I am thinking of signing up for a fast and flat marathon early next year with hopes of... running fast.

Not sure I can BQ. My age/gender the time is 3:45 and they accepted 3:40 last year. That's pretty fast IMO.

I've only run one marathon before. I ran 4:08 at Big Sur a couple years back. I figure I can shave off at least 10 minutes for the elevation of that course (for those of you who don't know it has a 2 mile long hill, and many others). That leaves me with ~15 minutes to improve. Which I think I can do. Possibly. My 13.1 PR is 1:49. So in theory, just have to do that twice and I'm golden. :D

Would love any thoughts/tips/suggestions from those who have been there. I need to pick a plan- last time I did a modified Hal Higdon with extra runs and averaged around 35-40 miles a week. I know I need to bump that up and incorporate more speed work than I did last time. Thinking of Hansens this year. Also contemplating getting a coach- though I've never used one for any of my athletic endeavors before.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #445 on: August 24, 2019, 05:34:14 AM »
Great tip about short intense intervals! I have been trying to run as fast as I can for 60 seconds several times during my 5 km runs. It has the effect of making me run slightly faster the rest the time with no increase in effort and I feel great. I never time myself, but might try another Parkrun soon just for the time.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #446 on: August 24, 2019, 08:50:39 PM »
Running morale is low. Today was an 8 long run on the way to a half marathon in a training group. I'm by far the slowest...haven't run in a couple of years after breaking my big toe (took 6 months to walk without a lot of pain after the injury so I was out for a year).

I'm just trotting along...about 15 minute miles. The next slowest pace group is 12 minute miles. I don't handle the heat well so I have to take walk breaks to cool/avoid overheating even when it's only in the low 60s Fahrenheit. Sigh...I feel like I'm never going to be a real runner.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #447 on: August 24, 2019, 09:09:23 PM »
Running morale is low. Today was an 8 long run on the way to a half marathon in a training group. I'm by far the slowest...haven't run in a couple of years after breaking my big toe (took 6 months to walk without a lot of pain after the injury so I was out for a year).

I'm just trotting along...about 15 minute miles. The next slowest pace group is 12 minute miles. I don't handle the heat well so I have to take walk breaks to cool/avoid overheating even when it's only in the low 60s Fahrenheit. Sigh...I feel like I'm never going to be a real runner.

You can do it! Think this through - if it's hot, take off a layer of clothing. If it's cold, take off a layer too - you warm up 10 degrees when you run (C ... not F scale - not sure what that converts to... 18?) Choose your fabrics carefully. If you start your run shivering, then that means you'll be ok when you get going. You don't have to run fast every day, you just need to get out there often enough.

The injury is in the past. You have your running future ahead of you now :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #448 on: August 24, 2019, 09:15:00 PM »
I am thinking of signing up for a fast and flat marathon early next year with hopes of... running fast.

Not sure I can BQ. My age/gender the time is 3:45 and they accepted 3:40 last year. That's pretty fast IMO.

I've only run one marathon before. I ran 4:08 at Big Sur a couple years back. I figure I can shave off at least 10 minutes for the elevation of that course (for those of you who don't know it has a 2 mile long hill, and many others). That leaves me with ~15 minutes to improve. Which I think I can do. Possibly. My 13.1 PR is 1:49. So in theory, just have to do that twice and I'm golden. :D

Would love any thoughts/tips/suggestions from those who have been there. I need to pick a plan- last time I did a modified Hal Higdon with extra runs and averaged around 35-40 miles a week. I know I need to bump that up and incorporate more speed work than I did last time. Thinking of Hansens this year. Also contemplating getting a coach- though I've never used one for any of my athletic endeavors before.

I'm in awe. I just ran a 1:49 half today. (First time under 1:50, and 8 minutes quicker than the same race last year!). I was dead to rights at the end of it so the thought of doubling and finishing a full in 3:40 it is a long way out of my mind.

Kudos if you can pull it off, you have a great chance given your proposed training load.

I'm hoping to do 4:15 at a full in 3 weeks time.... should be possible if I bonk at 36km instead of 30 this time around :)

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #449 on: August 25, 2019, 11:50:17 AM »
Awesome work on the half @marty998 !! That’s a fantastic time. I feel like you should be able to hit your marathon goal no problem.

I had my first 10 mile run today, and it was also my first time being caught in a down pour. At about 6 miles in it changed from around a 100 degree heat index to 80 degrees, wind, and very heavy rain. Wow was this an amazing thing. The cooler weather was a huge boost and was eye opening for what I can expect for when it “actually” starts cooling down. I probably haven’t ran below a 90 degree heat index since around May.

I ended the run with an average pace of 9:51/mile, with my 10th mile being ran at 8:25.