Author Topic: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread  (Read 67636 times)

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
Re: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread
« Reply #350 on: June 04, 2019, 04:47:41 PM »
On an unrelated note - one thing I really enjoy about running is regarding age and peaking. A statement in Born to Run said something like, “male runners peak in their late 20’s, however they decline much slower than they peak, and barring no injuries, a runner in their late 50’s/early 60’s has about the same potential as an 18 year old runner.”   I don’t know how accurate this but I can certainly see it. There are many runners in their late 40’s that just destroy much much younger runs who are very fit but not “quite” as experienced.. Having just started running last 30, it’s a good motivator that I still have so much more time in my “prime.”

I didn't start running until last year when I was 39, so I'm encouraged by this. My brother (age 38 now) is an ultrarunner, and he just started running seriously a few years ago. He had his first 100 mile finish in 2017 and actually had a podium finish last year. I think his first (and only, to date) marathon was in 2015 or so?

I took yesterday and today to rest after the half but I'll get out for at least a short run tomorrow. My husband was looking up races this morning trying to decide which one we should do next. He said he wants to do one and "be in shape for it". I agree. We may do the San Diego Holiday Half again in December; we did it last year.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #351 on: June 04, 2019, 05:38:51 PM »
Am I the only one who sees the Race to 50K thread and thinks it's an ultra?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #352 on: June 06, 2019, 05:49:02 AM »

I didn't start running until last year when I was 39, so I'm encouraged by this. My brother (age 38 now) is an ultrarunner, and he just started running seriously a few years ago. He had his first 100 mile finish in 2017 and actually had a podium finish last year. I think his first (and only, to date) marathon was in 2015 or so?

It is inspiring. Distance running is a sport you can take up at any age....you don't have to be a 5 year old wunderkind to succeed later in life :)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #353 on: June 06, 2019, 08:31:11 AM »
I had my 5k the first week of May I’ve slowly been ramping back up. I had been dealing with some nagging injuries prior, and knew once I finished that milestone I would take it easy for a couple weeks. My biggest month this year was in March with 88 miles. In April I did my best to maintain despite the injuries while not pushing too hard, and hit 38 miles, and in May, 42 miles. I’m definitely ready to get back into the 15-20 mile/wk range soon, but again, still don’t want to push too fast. I ran 5 miles yesterday morning, and was honestly ready for another 5 in the afternoon.. Might need to soon go back to 4 days a week running instead of the current 3.

I’m having a “no alcohol June” and I want to drop a few lbs (from 176 to 170) which I think will all help. I don’t drink much anyways, usually just once or twice a week on the weekends, but still too much on those evenings out to dinner that I do drink. The hardest part will be the times where I get together with coworkers for team building or weekend dinners.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #354 on: June 08, 2019, 04:33:28 PM »
I had my 6 week postpartum appointment and got the OK from my OB to start working out again. I plan to head out tomorrow morning for my first run since last September! I'm very excited. It will probably just be a mile to test the waters.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #355 on: June 08, 2019, 07:41:03 PM »
Training group for half marathon started this week. So far, I've managed all the runs without walk intervals. :-)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #356 on: June 09, 2019, 11:57:29 AM »
Great job @Mongoose!  Keep it up!

A question for you weightlifters:  I've been lifting for almost three months now, and it's going pretty well.  I'm getting stronger and although I wouldn't say I enjoy it exactly, I am appreciating what it's doing for me. I feel good.  My question is-- could I decrease from three workouts a week to two, and still see the same benefits?

I assume if I tried to decrease, I'd need to do heavier weights? Fewer reps with heavier weights?  Thanks!   

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #357 on: June 09, 2019, 12:55:04 PM »

A question for you weightlifters:  I've been lifting for almost three months now, and it's going pretty well.  I'm getting stronger and although I wouldn't say I enjoy it exactly, I am appreciating what it's doing for me. I feel good.  My question is-- could I decrease from three workouts a week to two, and still see the same benefits?

I assume if I tried to decrease, I'd need to do heavier weights? Fewer reps with heavier weights?  Thanks!

There’s far too many factors for anyone to give you a definitive answer to that question. I would say that if you aren’t really enjoying it and would feel that cutting back to two days would feel much more reasonable, then I would cut back to two days. A possible negative alternative would be continuing to push yourself for 3 days a week, getting burnout, and quitting altogether. 2 days a week for the next decade is far better than 3 days a week for the next year then getting burnt out altogether.

For a new weightlifter, you’ll likely still make good improvements at 2 days/wk, just a bit slower and plateauing a bit earlier.

You basically have two options, do two full body workouts/wk, or split your body in 1/2, divided between the two days. I would push for a hard full body workout 2 days/wk with at least 2 days off between each workout days so you have ample recovery time.

If you’d like to lay out your current workout I’d be happy to give you suggestions to consolidate them into two slightly longer days.

On another note - I ran a 10k earlier today, when I finished the heat index was 97 degrees. It was definitely a hot one but I enjoyed it. I kept my pace just under 9:30/mile.

Also, this weekend we turned our guest bedroom into a guest bedroom/weight lifting room. My days running and lifting this year have rotated between 2-3 days/wk lifting and 3-4 days/wk running. I want to keep steady at 3 days/wk lifting while keeping my running up, so if I can get 1-2 workouts/wk at home that will go a long ways. I’ll still head to the gym for heavy leg and back days.

We have a pull-up bar in the doorway, then adjustable dumbbells that go from 5-70lbs, and the dumbbells have attachments that go to a curl bar, which would bring the curl bar weight to 140 lbs. There’s an expansion pack for the dumbbells to get them to go up to 90 lbs a piece. I’m still rehabbing my shoulder so it’ll be at least another month or two until I’m ready to upgrade. Also added two 36x60 mirrors.

FYI - there is nothing mustachian about this setup lol. I did find a local store that was willing to beat any internet price I could find, however.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 06:03:58 PM by use2betrix »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #358 on: June 09, 2019, 06:59:20 PM »
I'm happy to say I'm returning from the injured list after about 10 weeks.  3 mile walk/jog on Friday and my metatarsal were not so happy, so today I switched from my minimalist shoes to an old pair of Mizuno Waves and the foot seemed to appreciate the extra bit of stiffness, so I'll stick with that, go out 2x a week for a couple weeks, and if all is well, work up to 3x a week and consider increasing mileage again.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #359 on: June 10, 2019, 02:30:43 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts on the weightlifting @use2betrix!  I think the full body workout twice a week sounds like a better idea than splitting the body into halves.  So when you say working out twice a week should be "hard" -- do you mean fewer reps/higher weights?  Push harder to exhaustion?  For reference, right now I'm doing three sets of 8-12 on all exercises.  I do a basic full body workout all three days a week.  Thanks!   

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #360 on: June 10, 2019, 08:31:23 AM »
I mean moreso - push harder to exhaustion. In terms of number of reps, I would vary the workouts. Some workouts you may go heavier and less reps, while others you might go lighter and more reps.

Here are some sample exercises of my splits for full body workouts. Each exercise I usually do a warmup, then 3-4 sets with very short breaks between each set. If you’re pushing yourself hard enough on each set, you likely won’t be able to maintain the same amount of reps for each set (it should go down).

Day 1:
Quads - front squats
Hamstrings - lying leg curls
Calves - seated calf raises
Chest - incline DB bench press
Shoulders - DB military press
Triceps - skull crushers
Back - wide grip pull downs
Biceps - alternating DB curls
Abs - hanging leg raises

Day 2:
Quads - lunges
Hamstrings - stiff leg dead lift
Calves - standing calf raises
Chest - DB fly’s
Shoulders - lateral raises
Triceps - Tricep pushdowns
Back - close grip rows (or deadlift)
Biceps - EZ bar curls
Abs - planks

If I’m feeling good or really want to push a muscle group, I might throw in a second exercise for that specific muscle group. Again - short break between sets and going to complete failure.

Also - I often treat back as two muscle groups, back width (lats, i.e. wide grip pull downs) and back thickness as another (close grip rows, deadlift, etc.)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #361 on: June 10, 2019, 11:54:18 AM »

I'm not a lifter per se, so take this with a grain of salt... (I'm a "dabbler".  I like to do ALL THE THINGS.  But not enough time to get awesome at any of them).

Since my last half, I've cut back from 3x a week running to 2x a week running (occasionally 3x).  My "long" run is 4 miles, but planning on increasing to 5 & 6 again.  I've found someone approximately my pace to run with the last 2 weeks, so I was preferring the slightly too fast 4-4.5 miles to my normal pace 5, just to have someone to talk to.  My other run is track / speed work, as I have an aggressive fall 10k goal.

I've also increased my weight training to 2x a week, and I love it.  I'm still at the point where I'm making big strength gains.  I do full-body, coached kettlebell workouts at a gym. 

I've found that dropping a run day in exchange for a gym day has been good for me.  I was starting to hate the running.  Pre-race, I was up to 15-20 miles a week, and I just was getting burned out.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #362 on: June 11, 2019, 11:01:02 AM »
@mm1970 - you bring up some good points in regards to the lifting/running schedule. The good thing about doing both is you can occasionally pick up one and reduce the other if you start to feel a bit burnt out on one of the items. Or - if you start developing a nagging injury, you can also focus more on the other. I.e. when I injured my shoulder (still recovering) I was able to pick up my running a bit more. When my leg was bothering me, likely from too much running, I picked up on the lifting a bit more.

It’s good to have these options so that when something like this does happen, and you get burnt out or need rest, you can compensate for the lack of exercise in one area, by picking it up more in another.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #363 on: June 11, 2019, 06:56:07 PM »
3 mile walk
Clean appt with my cardiologist.
3 mile walk
Hair cut
9 mile trail run.

I'll regret it tomorrow but it was fun getting back on the trail today.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #364 on: June 12, 2019, 04:54:57 PM »
I've been focused on cross training, strength, & yard work (ha) over the past week or so after my relay. Mostly because the weather has been crazy hot, but also because I wanted to rest up. I'm now feeling ready to run again. Luckily, we'll be on the coast next week, and the weather looks super cool & perfect for running.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #365 on: June 23, 2019, 04:32:54 AM »
Completed a 15km run today in a decent but not taxing 5:35/km pace. Trying to gear up for my local fun run (11.1km) in a month where I'm hoping to do it in 52 minutes (last year 55 and a half)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #366 on: June 24, 2019, 10:43:16 AM »
I've basically cut  back my running to 2x a week.  This past week, my spouse was traveling so I had one day of hill repeats (aka, I ran up and down the hill on my street while my kids were asleep).  Then I skipped my Sat run for a very leisurely family hike, but ended up running Sunday.  I ran 6+ miles - 3 miles straight up hill on that crazy uphill half marathon course.  Then back down. Which I've never run down that before.  Different views!

But it was super wet and foggy and I couldn't really see a thing until 2.5 miles.  Annoying too to have to clean off the glasses constantly.

I think I probably want to start training for my 10k soon, as I'll need to bring my pace down quite a bit before September (probably need to shave off 1 minute per mile, maybe 1:15.) 

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #367 on: June 29, 2019, 01:05:08 PM »
Runs are going okay. I'm really slow but running all our distances still. An issue has cropped up again, same as the last time I trained for a half. I get horrible headaches after the longer runs. Today was 3.5 miles...as the distances get longer, I don't seem to get headaches from the "shorter" distances. If this continues like last time, in a month I will have a headache after a 7 miler but not after 4 or 5 miles.

I'm not dehydrated. I do get overheated easily. Anyone have similar issues or a potential solution?

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #368 on: June 29, 2019, 01:15:42 PM »
Did some FUN today for my training with a 5K bubble run with my Sister-in-law and mother-in-law. "Run" was really a walk due to my MIL having a knee flair up issue, but when it was looking like they wouldn't be coming at all I asked if we could do it if we walked and she agreed.

@Mongoose, random guess, but is it a salt/electrolyte issue?

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #369 on: June 29, 2019, 03:35:28 PM »
@Mongoose, random guess, but is it a salt/electrolyte issue?
Hmmm, not sure. I'm pretty salt averse so I don't eat much (or many prepared foods). Maybe I could try an electrolyte supplement.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #370 on: July 02, 2019, 01:48:32 PM »
Runs are going okay. I'm really slow but running all our distances still. An issue has cropped up again, same as the last time I trained for a half. I get horrible headaches after the longer runs. Today was 3.5 miles...as the distances get longer, I don't seem to get headaches from the "shorter" distances. If this continues like last time, in a month I will have a headache after a 7 miler but not after 4 or 5 miles.

I'm not dehydrated. I do get overheated easily. Anyone have similar issues or a potential solution?
I get these too on longer runs, and I was never really able to figure out why.

I drink plenty of fluid, I drink electrolytes, I eat plenty.  Dr. Google says it may just be an exercise headache? 

https://www.verywellfit.com/how-can-i-avoid-headaches-after-running-2911322

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #371 on: July 06, 2019, 10:15:43 AM »
Just did my longest run to date, 5 miles, good pace. I was able to maintain a conversation with my running mate throughout it. I feel good!

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #372 on: July 08, 2019, 03:05:41 AM »

I drink plenty of fluid, I drink electrolytes, I eat plenty.  Dr. Google says it may just be an exercise headache? 

Are you running on empty a lot at the latter end of long runs?

If the longer distance is pushing you into using your anaerobic system for the last segment (particularly if you can feel that lactate burn in your legs), you may be dealing with a lactate headache. They're pretty common among track runners - doing, say, a mile at full tilt will release a hell of a lot of lactate into your system - but if you're unused to longer runs it's possible that the extra mileage is causing it. Try running the same route, but 30 seconds slower per kilometre: if it's lactate, the slower pace should mean you remain in aerobic for longer and don't tip into anaerobic territory.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #373 on: July 08, 2019, 12:26:48 PM »
No running for me for awhile because we are in the process of selling our house/buying a new (much smaller and cheaper!) one. With working full time and downsizing by over 2000 square feet, I have zero free time at all right now. I am, however, regular clocking over 15,000 steps and 20 flights of stairs a day through all of this...I can't wait until we move at the end of August and can settle in at the new place and get back to a running regimen!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #374 on: July 08, 2019, 12:39:04 PM »

Are you running on empty a lot at the latter end of long runs?

If the longer distance is pushing you into using your anaerobic system for the last segment (particularly if you can feel that lactate burn in your legs), you may be dealing with a lactate headache. They're pretty common among track runners - doing, say, a mile at full tilt will release a hell of a lot of lactate into your system - but if you're unused to longer runs it's possible that the extra mileage is causing it. Try running the same route, but 30 seconds slower per kilometre: if it's lactate, the slower pace should mean you remain in aerobic for longer and don't tip into anaerobic territory.
Always my challenge on long runs...how to pace it.  I've done many half marathons, and you are supposed to have the long runs be 1-2 minutes slower per mile than race pace.  But I'm always trying to get faster... sometimes I train at race pace (oops). 

Anyway, my next thing I'm training for is a 10k.  Hopefully no headaches.

ginjaninja

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #375 on: July 08, 2019, 12:42:34 PM »
I never thought I would be able to join this thread, I never used to run. 

Over the last year I have gotten into running and I will be racing in my first Ultra Marathon this weekend.  It is crazy how much my life has changed since I started running and I am excited to see the journey of other mustachian runners. 

I love all of the mustachian tips too!  Thank you all for contributing!!

ginjaninja

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #376 on: July 08, 2019, 01:01:52 PM »
Does anyone have some tips on how to cure the taper tantrums?  They are very real and not being able to run is killing me.

I have tried yoga, mediation, researching my race and visualizing each section, and eating well. 

They do come in waves, I go from extremely excited, to very very scared and wondering what I got myself into.  Lol

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #377 on: July 09, 2019, 12:09:40 PM »
8 miles of heat training today. Luckily the sprinklers were on at the ball field so I got to run through them.

ginjaninja = what ultra are you running?

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #378 on: July 09, 2019, 02:05:40 PM »
I never thought I would be able to join this thread, I never used to run. 

Over the last year I have gotten into running and I will be racing in my first Ultra Marathon this weekend.  It is crazy how much my life has changed since I started running and I am excited to see the journey of other mustachian runners. 

I love all of the mustachian tips too!  Thank you all for contributing!!

I'm not up to ultras (yet?) but I, too, would never have believed I would someday post about running. I've run three half marathons at this point and I look forward to focusing more on my running after this move is over. What ultra are you running? My brother is an ultrarunner; he's running Ouray in July and pacing someone at Badwater in about a week. We have crewed several of his races and I just love the ultrarunning community!

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #379 on: July 09, 2019, 03:07:17 PM »
I'm not up to ultras (yet?) but I, too, would never have believed I would someday post about running. I've run three half marathons at this point and I look forward to focusing more on my running after this move is over. What ultra are you running? My brother is an ultrarunner; he's running Ouray in July and pacing someone at Badwater in about a week. We have crewed several of his races and I just love the ultrarunning community!

I've got a friend running badwater.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #380 on: July 10, 2019, 01:19:15 AM »

Always my challenge on long runs...how to pace it.  I've done many half marathons, and you are supposed to have the long runs be 1-2 minutes slower per mile than race pace.  But I'm always trying to get faster... sometimes I train at race pace (oops). 

NEVER run your long run at race pace!

I race at between 4:00 and 4:30 a kilometre, and I do my long runs at 5:30 to 6:30 a kilometre. If you do your long run hard, you're defeating the purpose of it - the point of the long run is to get plenty of low-intensity distance in your legs and build up your aerobic base. When you start running harder, your physiology switches tracks and all you do is overtrain your body for that pace, with little to no benefit.

If you're running hard enough that holding a conversation with a running partner would be difficult, then you're running too fast for your long run. I can confirm this from personal experience: I spent several years doing every session as fast as I could physically manage and plateaued fairly quickly. I then joined a running club, and my running is now perhaps 80-90% at a very relaxed pace, with the remainder being pretty intense intervals twice a week. My times are far better under this regime than they were when I did everything at full tilt.

ginjaninja

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #381 on: July 10, 2019, 12:48:28 PM »
@dblaace and @FireHiker I am running the Beaverhead 55k (https://beaverheadenduranceruns.com/course-info/55k-info/)

I am really excited to give this a go!  I have only run 1 marathon and a couple of 5ks before this and there is ~6K of elevation gain throughout the race so I am starting to get nervous.

I am doing it with 4 other friends and I am really looking forward to it.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #382 on: July 10, 2019, 08:25:35 PM »

NEVER run your long run at race pace!

I race at between 4:00 and 4:30 a kilometre, and I do my long runs at 5:30 to 6:30 a kilometre. If you do your long run hard, you're defeating the purpose of it - the point of the long run is to get plenty of low-intensity distance in your legs and build up your aerobic base. When you start running harder, your physiology switches tracks and all you do is overtrain your body for that pace, with little to no benefit.

If you're running hard enough that holding a conversation with a running partner would be difficult, then you're running too fast for your long run. I can confirm this from personal experience: I spent several years doing every session as fast as I could physically manage and plateaued fairly quickly. I then joined a running club, and my running is now perhaps 80-90% at a very relaxed pace, with the remainder being pretty intense intervals twice a week. My times are far better under this regime than they were when I did everything at full tilt.

This is largely my problem as well. My “long” runs are only 6-7 miles, but my pace is still similar to my 3-4 mile runs.

I have read countless articles that say to base your runs on time instead of distance, or more recently i’ve been reading articles to do your long run based on heart rate. Basically - 60%-70% of max heart rate. For me, the max I’ve had mine to (during my last 5K) was 199 BPM. That range puts me at just under 140 bpm max. My typical long runs had been 9 1/2 minutes/mile and 165 bpm or so. This past Monday I did a 5 mile run shooting for around 140 bpm and I needed to slow my pace to around 11-12 min/mile.

It’s going to be hard slowing down, but I think it’s just something I’m really going to need to do. Would appreciate further feedback from more experienced runners.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #383 on: July 10, 2019, 09:41:40 PM »
@dblaace and @FireHiker I am running the Beaverhead 55k (https://beaverheadenduranceruns.com/course-info/55k-info/)

I am really excited to give this a go!  I have only run 1 marathon and a couple of 5ks before this and there is ~6K of elevation gain throughout the race so I am starting to get nervous.

I am doing it with 4 other friends and I am really looking forward to it.

Wow, looks like a challenge at least the last 7 are down hill.  :)

Good luck!

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #384 on: July 11, 2019, 12:01:06 AM »
It’s going to be hard slowing down, but I think it’s just something I’m really going to need to do. Would appreciate further feedback from more experienced runners.

I'd agree with the advice already given. I'm currently around the 22 minute mark for 5k (bit under 4:30/km pace) and do nearly all of my training around a 6:00-6:30/km pace, with just a small amount of fast stuff. I think as you do more running, you'll see that your heart rate to achieve a particular pace drops. If you find running at 11-12 min mile pace uncomfortably slow or unnatural, you might try a run/walk strategy for your long runs for a while - perhaps run a mile and then walk for a minute or two to bring your heart rate down. It's really about time on feet.

For me, too much fast running in training leads to injuries and it's hard to build up the necessary volume of running to improve unless most of it is fairly easy. That said, different people respond to training in different ways.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #385 on: July 12, 2019, 10:48:55 AM »
If you're in the northern hemisphere and live where "summer" is a thing right now (side-eyeing my friends in the chilly Bay Area), then that will significantly affect your heart rate.  So yeah, it's going to be a challenge to keep yourself below 140 bpm during a long run.  Dehydration will quickly become a factor as well.  Heck, walking pace might be enough to get your heart pumping if it's in the 80s with 80-90% humidity (like it is here, good god). 

I just call it summer running*.

*run by perceived effort, HRM be damned.

I'm still running with no structure, maintaining around 40-45 mpw on 5-6 days of running.  I'm happy if I get a long run around 10 miles or so.  I'm starting a new job in a few weeks that will require a much longer commute and longer hours (thanks to a 9/80 schedule), so I'm thinking I might switch from early-in-the-office-run-after-work to becoming an early morning runner.  I'm worried I'll get stuck at work or in traffic, which will complete sap my energy for later workouts.  We'll see how this goes.  It's hard to establish new routines!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #386 on: July 12, 2019, 11:42:16 AM »
If you're in the northern hemisphere and live where "summer" is a thing right now (side-eyeing my friends in the chilly Bay Area), then that will significantly affect your heart rate.  So yeah, it's going to be a challenge to keep yourself below 140 bpm during a long run.  Dehydration will quickly become a factor as well.  Heck, walking pace might be enough to get your heart pumping if it's in the 80s with 80-90% humidity (like it is here, good god). 

I just call it summer running*.

*run by perceived effort, HRM be damned.

I'm still running with no structure, maintaining around 40-45 mpw on 5-6 days of running.  I'm happy if I get a long run around 10 miles or so.  I'm starting a new job in a few weeks that will require a much longer commute and longer hours (thanks to a 9/80 schedule), so I'm thinking I might switch from early-in-the-office-run-after-work to becoming an early morning runner.  I'm worried I'll get stuck at work or in traffic, which will complete sap my energy for later workouts.  We'll see how this goes.  It's hard to establish new routines!
Definitely true!  I did a morning run a few weeks ago...it was "only" 3.6 miles, and I was keeping what was a typical pace for me.  But it was in the 70s and my HR was in the 190's.  I needed more breaks than usual.

So, I'm not doing any running training group right now.  And I just found out that my favorite kettlebell gym is going to shrink and eliminate group classes.  So I can move to private training or "virtual training" where I get sent a workout but have to do it on my own.  Boo.  I am not internally motivated to work out on my own at ALL right now.

I'd already decided to switch to the virtual option for running (to train for a fast 10k), so I'll soon get a training plan that will link with my Garmin, and my coach can keep track of my progress.  I'm hoping that will help me figure out how to pace myself on the longer runs.  Also hoping I'll be motivated.  I'm at a point in my life that group fitness is really working for me.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #387 on: July 12, 2019, 02:37:00 PM »
@ginjaninja Wishing you the best of luck for your first ultra!

Still no running for me in...awhile. But, we had photos taken yesterday and our house will be listed next week. Hopefully I can get in a short run this weekend.

ginjaninja

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #388 on: July 15, 2019, 11:50:48 AM »
@FireHiker thank you!! I survived and completed it in ~13 hours!!!!! OMG that was hard.  6500ft of elevation gain, 9000 ft of elevation loss, 34-35 miles and oh boy my legs are toast.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #389 on: July 15, 2019, 12:07:13 PM »
@FireHiker thank you!! I survived and completed it in ~13 hours!!!!! OMG that was hard.  6500ft of elevation gain, 9000 ft of elevation loss, 34-35 miles and oh boy my legs are toast.

Wow, amazing job!!! Congratulations!!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #390 on: July 15, 2019, 12:40:08 PM »

Wow.  Amazing is right!

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #391 on: July 15, 2019, 01:08:28 PM »
Congrats!

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #392 on: July 15, 2019, 01:36:45 PM »
Well done GinjaNinja!

ginjaninja

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #393 on: July 16, 2019, 08:45:27 AM »
Thank you all for the support :D:D I cannot wait to see all of you meet your goals and do great things too.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #394 on: July 16, 2019, 08:20:54 PM »

That is amazing! I hope to keep upping my mileage to these longer runs some day. Slowly but surely.

ginjaninja

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #395 on: July 17, 2019, 08:28:23 AM »
@use2betrix I couldn't even run a 5K 7 months ago.  It is all about being slow and steady.  Or at least it was for me, I am definitely not a medical professional or coach. 

I followed the plan "Running Your First Ultra" By Krissy Moehl and I lowered my mileages from her suggestions and kept a log of all missed workouts.  During my taper I would look back and freak out that I skipped this 6 mile run or that 12 mile run.  Then I would read my notes that said things like "Sisters graduation" "Fiances graduation" "feeling too sore from weights, taking it easy to recover" "80 work week" "etc"

I did ~60-70% of the suggested plan and I survived.  Tracking the progress was great too, it never felt like enough but I can look back to January where running 8 miles in a week felt like too much and it grew to the 35-40 miles/week at the end. 

I feel like if we can track our money then we can also track other things too :)

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #396 on: July 17, 2019, 09:23:46 AM »
Hey everybody!

I am over 40 now, and have not done any real exercise since high school; I had a mostly sedentary office life and after two kids I gained a few (30) pounds.

A few months ago a couple co-workers invited me to run with them after work. I accepted. It was a disaster! Those two ladies TALKED while jogging, happily pointing out the river/duck/odd cloud. I was out-of-breath, falling behind, and by the 4th minute running I was feeling light headed and had to cut it short. They walked me back to the office, and continued with their run. I could not believe it: We did a "jog 1 minute, walk 2 minutes" beginner. I barely run 4 total minutes.

The experience shamed me into moving more. I started walking 4 miles every Sat and Sun and on Mondays I tried my best to keep up with them. One of the girls suggested a free app called couch to 5k. For a couple weeks I tried to run after work on my own, but just did not work. I was tired, I would start cooking and eating, and did not do anything. I tried setting my alarm at 5:30 AM, to run before work - and again, i would just snooze it. I started the C25K program, but because I did not do anything during the week, I kept repeating week 1 for almost a month.

All of a sudden, things just clicked in place: I moved to week 2 of C25K on a Sat morning, run again on Sun. I set my alarm for 5:30AM and forced myself to do it on Monday. I ran every day that week... and the next... and the next. I ran when was raining, when was hot and when I had a sore throat - I have not missed a day since.

I have not lost much weigh yet, and I am not too worried about that. I want to complete 8 weeks of running nonstop, and after that I might add a couple days of some different exercise - but I'm not sure what.

I am surprised with myself in a very positive way. I'll try to post monthly here to track and make myself accountable. Thank all for sharing your experiences, it was a pleasure to read this thread - I can't believe I just found this now.

daffodil2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #397 on: July 17, 2019, 03:35:08 PM »
Welcome @Epor! I’ve started running, given it up, and gotten back into it several times. I find the first several weeks after I get back into a struggle. I go back and forth a lot on what time of day I should run, but in summer the weather decides for me—I need to run early or else it’ll be too hot and I’ll have to work a lot harder to cover the same distance.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #398 on: July 21, 2019, 04:16:45 AM »
Congrats @ginjaninja that's an amazing effort to go from 0 to ultra in 7 months. Well done.

Welcome @Epor, making running a habit is just like forming every other habit... you just have to keep doing it. 98% of the effort is just tying up your shoelaces, after that its easy :)

It took me a good 2 years before I formed a running habit, and even then another year to actually start making serious progress. Sign up for a local fun run 6 months from now and give yourself a goal to work towards. A 10k is generally a good distance - not too long that you'll ruin yourself, and not too short that it's not a fun day out.

Today was my local fun run - 11.1km (the 0.1 matters lol - adds up to 30 seconds to the end time haha).

I finished in 52:23, 3 minutes 14 seconds faster than last year.

Back in 2015 the first time I did it, my time was 66 minutes. So there's an improvement of 13 minutes, or the equivalent of me finishing 2.2km (1.5mi) ahead of 29 year old me! It's weird to think about it in those terms, 2 kilometres is a long long way in an 11km run.

Nothing special at all about what I'm doing. Just very gradually increasing the distance I'm running each week and being sensible with pacing in training (keeping it very light). Going easy in training helps to avoid unnecessary injury too.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #399 on: July 21, 2019, 03:48:14 PM »

Thank you daffodil2001 and marty998;

It is true, is a habit that needs to be formed and it is looking good so far. What I am hoping is that my trying of making habits of good choices (being more active) spills in other areas of my life. Adding an extra serving of veggies in the evening. Maybe some fresh fruit in the morning. Being more productive at work after a run. Etc.

Just this past week I had a bad night, worrying about some work-related items. I did not sleep well and woke up tired, but decided to go for a run anyway: it was actually very nice, during the run I figured out an action-plan for the work issue, and felt better.

I think a 5k sounds possible, a 10k sounds a little bit too optimistic. When I get to a point of jogging for 20-30 min without stop, a challenge like that would certainly make me just improve my pace, etc. Thank you for the tips about being sensible and careful with injuries etc.

I'll try to check-in every month, maybe add some stats as well. Thank you all for making me feel welcomed.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!