Author Topic: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread  (Read 67641 times)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread
« Reply #250 on: April 15, 2019, 10:46:14 AM »
Regarding the running, while I was careful to increase the mileage super slowly, I think I increased my pace too much in those miles too soon. My intensity of my runs was frankly too hard, too often.

Yeah, this is super tricky.
I always have issues with my heart rate.  I've only been wearing a HR monitor for a year.  Turns out, when I push it (on a regular run or an uphill run, where I feel like I'm pushing it), my HR gets to 190+, easily.

Which, ya know, probably not the best.

Last year I trained for the half marathon in May without a HR monitor.  I was running my long runs probably "too fast", when you consider your long run should be slow, as in not at race pace (1-2 min/mile off is fine).  As a result, my race was only 15 sec/mile faster than training runs.  I figured this out because I was usually able to keep up with 2 other women on the long run, but race day their finish times for the half were...about 25-28 minutes faster than mine.

So this year, I feel like I'm dragging a bit, but I'm also trying to keep my slow runs...slower.  I was conducting the struggle train on Sat, with a 9 mile run (last mile at "race pace", where HR got high again).  12:00 miles on average.  I guess maybe that's 1:00 off my goal pace?  Or 45 sec anyway.

I'm trying to be careful to not increase pace AND distance concurrently.  I know, intellectually, that I'm not going to continuously PR.  I also know, in my heart, that nobody really gives a shit if I beat last year's time for this race (2:28) or my most recent half (2:20).  I tell myself that it's supposed to be fun, and if I feel like dying for the last 3 miles (which is what "race pace" feels like), what's the actual point?  But then again, I'm type A.

Hey, well, I tell myself in less than 2 years I'll be 50, and I can start chasing "over-50" PRs.

MAVDAD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Active Duty Army, About 3 years from FI
    • MAVDAD - Blog focused on Unusual, Independent, Living.
« Reply #251 on: April 16, 2019, 06:22:56 AM »
My weight is an “issue.” Due to all my weightlifting and strict diet, I’m way too muscular for a good distance runner for anything over like 40 meters. I’m 5’9, 185 lbs, and single digit body fat. Most distance runners my height are around 135-155 lbs. I am prepared to give up what will have to be some muscle to supplement my running.

I recommend avoiding putting a predetermined limit on yourself with your language. "I'm way too muscular for a good distance runner..." I've been a runner for about 17 years now and I know people of most every body type that successfully run distance. Granted that you're probably not cut out for the Olympics, but you're in a pretty good spot. I used to use my short, stocky stature as an excuse for slow running. I'm 5'6" 170.  Have you read Born to Run? I don't think I've seen that book mentioned in this thread yet. Good luck!

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: April 19, 2019, 11:10:31 AM »
As a rule of thumb 1kg extra body weight adds 1-2 seconds pr kilometer. So unless aiming for a world record a few extra kiloes / pounds is not a valid excuse.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #253 on: April 19, 2019, 02:02:47 PM »
So far this year

Jan - 30 miles
Feb - 30 miles
March - 40 miles
April - 29 miles down, ~21 to go!

My runs range between 2-5 miles at a time, and I'm averaging an 8:45 pace @ ~210 lb body weight. Also lifting weights 4 times a week and mountain biking 1-2 times a week.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #254 on: April 20, 2019, 06:00:50 AM »
Nice job on your 5k @BookValue!  Hope you are feeling better @use2betrix

My runs are going really great, weightlifting 3X week -- going great, getting stronger.

Only problem is -- whoa Nelly, I'm losing weight.  That is the opposite direction I was hoping to go.  I think the weightlifting (and also the 3-4 hours per day of farm work I'm doing now that spring is here and I'm retired) has jacked my calorie needs way up.  I know it's a "good problem" to have, but it's kind of scary too.  I'm trying to just eat more (a lot more) and not worry that there's something wrong with me.  :)  Really hoping I can put on at least five pounds in the next few months.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #255 on: April 25, 2019, 11:06:11 AM »
Check in time!

Still on the struggle bus. I'm struggling for multiple reasons:
1.  I'm having a hard time finding "race pace".  It seems like many of our weekly runs are at "race pace", and our weekend runs are longer.
2.  I'm slower than last year.

I'm having a hard time finding a faster "gear".  I'm training for the same 1/2 marathon I did last spring.
Last year's pace was 11:16
October 1/2 pace (mostly downhill): 10:45

Then took 3 months off due to injury.  It's not like I can do what I normally do, which is just try to shave off a few minutes.

I'm super struggling to get anything under 11:30.  Added to that, I do the run/walk method, and figuring out run pace and walk breaks is driving me crazy.  Plus, I'm just not in the same mental place as last year.  So one of the assistant running coaches says "well, that's just fine. Aim for 12:00."  Which is...refreshing, honestly, in a sea of people running sub-10:00.  I find myself dreading the runs these days, so maybe I'm just burned out.

On a plus note, today's race pace run was at 10:48-10:58, which is an improvement.  I do not think I can maintain that over 13.1 miles, so let's just call that my "downhill" pace (first half of the race is uphill, then about 5 miles down hill, ending with up hill).

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #256 on: April 26, 2019, 12:02:39 PM »
@mm1970 I'm on the struggle bus with you! Recovery from a non-running-related medical procedure is dragggggingg. I went running twice this week, but I think it was a little too early and am backing off again.

My "race" is on May 19 and I'm waffling about still doing it (could probably grit it out verrry slowly, but I'm not sure it's worth it) or switching my entry to another race over the summer. I have until May 5 to decide.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #257 on: April 27, 2019, 02:12:40 AM »
@mm1970 I wonder if you'd benefit from some structured interval training. You've got the legs to do the long runs, but maybe some dedicated short, targeted speedwork would be good? Perhaps simply get used to running at a fast pace (even over short 3-400m distances), which trains your legs to tick over faster on the longer distances?

I know that I usually get stuck in my mind that I'm a particular pace runner at a particular distance. The problem with that thinking is that I don't know if I can go faster, until I muck around with some short training intervals and realise "oh, that's how fast I need to move my legs to go xx seconds a kilometre faster".

It ends up "normalising" a faster pace for me, or at least making me believe a new faster pace is achievable.

FWIW I ran a new best 5k time today of 22:19. I went out in a seemingly ridiculous 3:59 for the first km, and then held off with steady 4:35/km splits for the remaining 4km. Unusual but effective in getting me a best time :)

There is no way I could have done this without doing a few "fast 1km's" @ 3:45 pace in training, simply knowing in my head that I can actually go that quick.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #258 on: April 27, 2019, 05:54:15 PM »
I am nowhere near peek fitness from a few years ago.  My solution to make sure I was running by feel and not by my watch to fast is to change my GPS to record things in KMs instead of miles.  The only problem is that my watch still gives me mile pace every mile so I'm now starting to learn the KMPH equivalents to MPH. 

Oh well, current goal race is actually a 10 mile walk division race in August, I want to be sub-2hr maybe sub 1:50 so I'm defiantly not waddling.  I entered a running 10KM next week that I'm going to see if I can hold 11mm walking for the duration.   

FreedomSeeker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #259 on: April 27, 2019, 09:00:47 PM »
Hello all,

I’m new to the forum and I happen to be a runner. I run a 5k around my neighborhood a few times per week.

I used to run frequently in my early 20s while in the military. I got out in 2013 and really fell off the wagon until last year. I’ve been running consistently since last August.

My 2019 goals are to continue to run a few times per week at least. Also to continuously get faster. I live in an area of all hills, sadly (not so sad).

Currently running in a low to mid 9 minute per mile pace. Am working to consistently be under 9 by the end of the year.

I just snagged a pair of brooks ghosts about 25 miles ago and am loving them!

Looking forward to being part of the community.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #260 on: April 28, 2019, 01:54:22 AM »
The only problem is that my watch still gives me mile pace every mile so I'm now starting to learn the KMPH equivalents to MPH. 

If you guys are never going to adopt the metric system surely it's time the 0.62137119 and 1.609344 times tables are included in the common core curriculum....

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #261 on: April 28, 2019, 06:49:17 AM »
Welcome @FreedomSeeker!  Good to hear you like the Brooks.  I have a pair of those (Cascadia) that I wear sometimes.  They're well made.

Funny story this week.  One of the trainers at my local YMCA is a marathon/ultra runner, and we talk about running from time to time.  We click because we're both mostly trail runners, we both run barefoot-style, and we're both slow-ish -- or so I thought.   Two weeks ago she ran a huge PR at a local marathon and qualified for Boston.  She was gobsmacked, as she had thought it could never happen.  So now she is totally on fire for me to get back to longer distances and give it a go.  I've tried to cool her jets by explaining (a) it's been many years since I ran a marathon (b) I've never done it on a road, only trails and (c) my daily runs these days are at ~12 minute pace.  So I don't think I have any surprising fast marathon times lurking in me lol.   

However, her surprise PR and bubbling enthusiasm have sparked me to try running a little faster and farther to see what I can do.  I'm in a rut now where I pretty much do the same thing every week -- easy trail runs.  It's a wonderful rut, but it's a rut.  I think I'd like to register for a race to rekindle that desire again.  So I'll hunt for something short and local to ease back into it.   

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #262 on: April 29, 2019, 11:39:14 AM »
@mm1970 I wonder if you'd benefit from some structured interval training. You've got the legs to do the long runs, but maybe some dedicated short, targeted speedwork would be good? Perhaps simply get used to running at a fast pace (even over short 3-400m distances), which trains your legs to tick over faster on the longer distances?

I know that I usually get stuck in my mind that I'm a particular pace runner at a particular distance. The problem with that thinking is that I don't know if I can go faster, until I muck around with some short training intervals and realise "oh, that's how fast I need to move my legs to go xx seconds a kilometre faster".

It ends up "normalising" a faster pace for me, or at least making me believe a new faster pace is achievable.

FWIW I ran a new best 5k time today of 22:19. I went out in a seemingly ridiculous 3:59 for the first km, and then held off with steady 4:35/km splits for the remaining 4km. Unusual but effective in getting me a best time :)

There is no way I could have done this without doing a few "fast 1km's" @ 3:45 pace in training, simply knowing in my head that I can actually go that quick.
I think that's one of the reasons why my pace is so slow right now.

For half marathons, I join paid training groups.  I've been doing that for a couple of years.  Tuesday is track day.  This particular coach also has an "off season" track Tuesday program, which I join.  Track Tuesday varies from 200's to mile repeats.

Well, I was off for 3 months.  When I started up again in late January, with track, I was literally just getting back into running.  By the time the half marathon training program started in March, I was finally back to "normal" (could run without pain) - but then "track Tuesday" was mostly focused on race pace, and less on speed. 

Last year, we had more days of 400s and 800s on track Tuesday during the program than we have this year.  (Yeah, so I'm an engineer, and I have a spreadsheet, so yes - I can look back at each week of training to see what our Track Tuesday workout was!)  So I just haven't had the opportunity to work on speed.  Plus I was starting from a different place.

I love track and speed work.  It's my very favorite thing to do 400s and 800s.  I think that's probably why I have such an affinity for the run/walk method.

This weekend, we did 11.5 miles on the hilly course.  My average was 12:03.  I felt pretty good.  Miles 7/ 8 were my fastest at about 11:22 and 11:25.  During those (downhill) miles, I was doing mostly walk 30 seconds every half mile.  My run pace was about 10:20-10:30.  Last year I was able to hit 10:00 during the back half of the course.

Likewise my "mile" pace last year was 9:20 and this year is probably more like 10:00.

I hope to work more on speed this summer before the uphill half training starts.  I tweaked my knee on Saturday (after the run), so I'm giving it a rest right now.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #263 on: April 29, 2019, 11:57:48 AM »
I have been less than enthused about running lately....but my favorite running buddy/friend qualified for Boston over the weekend.  I was fairly certain that I'd register for next year, but this seals the deal for me. 

I did not run the half marathon that I halfway trained for.  It was yesterday.  It was overcast, rainy, and in the 50s here, so it would have been near perfect conditions....but I lost my fire weeks ago.  It was $115 to register for the race.  That's obscene.  Full marathons cost less than that!  Road racing is getting ridiculous (yes, I acknowledge that it will probably cost me $300 or more to register for Boston.  It's a one and done kind of thing).  However, I think I'll run a 5k that's ~ 0.6 miles from my house on Thursday evening.  The course is laughable - it's 250 foot of downhill followed by trudging back up the same hill to finish.  Get ready for an absolutely crazy positive split.  Let's see if I can run a mile PR barreling down at the start.  :-D

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #264 on: April 29, 2019, 12:08:39 PM »
A few weeks I tried to increase my running just a little - my old ankle injury acted up, and then my horse jumped on my foot for good measure, and I think I have some deep bruising from that.  So frustrating since this is such a nice time of year to run (when the wind isn't howling).  I usually run in a minimalist shoe, but I think the extra flexiblity is irritating the old injury, so I'm going to pack my old neutral runners and see if I can manage a short jog while I'm on work travel next week.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #265 on: April 29, 2019, 02:47:22 PM »
I have been less than enthused about running lately....but my favorite running buddy/friend qualified for Boston over the weekend.  I was fairly certain that I'd register for next year, but this seals the deal for me. 

I did not run the half marathon that I halfway trained for.  It was yesterday.  It was overcast, rainy, and in the 50s here, so it would have been near perfect conditions....but I lost my fire weeks ago. It was $115 to register for the race.  That's obscene.  Full marathons cost less than that! Road racing is getting ridiculous (yes, I acknowledge that it will probably cost me $300 or more to register for Boston.  It's a one and done kind of thing).  However, I think I'll run a 5k that's ~ 0.6 miles from my house on Thursday evening.  The course is laughable - it's 250 foot of downhill followed by trudging back up the same hill to finish.  Get ready for an absolutely crazy positive split.  Let's see if I can run a mile PR barreling down at the start.  :-D
Around here $90-140 is typical for a half marathon.  $90 is only if you register far in advance (it goes up after), and of course - there are extras.  Like, if you need race day pickup, it's an extra $15.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #266 on: April 29, 2019, 03:32:47 PM »

I did not run the half marathon that I halfway trained for.  It was yesterday.  It was overcast, rainy, and in the 50s here, so it would have been near perfect conditions....but I lost my fire weeks ago. It was $115 to register for the race.  That's obscene.  Full marathons cost less than that! Road racing is getting ridiculous (yes, I acknowledge that it will probably cost me $300 or more to register for Boston.  It's a one and done kind of thing).  However, I think I'll run a 5k that's ~ 0.6 miles from my house on Thursday evening.  The course is laughable - it's 250 foot of downhill followed by trudging back up the same hill to finish.  Get ready for an absolutely crazy positive split.  Let's see if I can run a mile PR barreling down at the start.  :-D
Around here $90-140 is typical for a half marathon.  $90 is only if you register far in advance (it goes up after), and of course - there are extras.  Like, if you need race day pickup, it's an extra $15.

HM's are between $50-$100 here. The larger, more popular ones through the City are the more expensive ones.

I have the most fun at the smaller ones, they have a bit more of a friendly atmosphere at the finish line - you don't feel like you are being herded through a maze of corporate sponsor tents with a million other people.

Full marathons run from $70-$140. I don't buy all the extras like t-shirts and visors - it would be prohibitive to go down that path.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #267 on: April 29, 2019, 05:39:51 PM »

HM's are between $50-$100 here. The larger, more popular ones through the City are the more expensive ones.

I have the most fun at the smaller ones, they have a bit more of a friendly atmosphere at the finish line - you don't feel like you are being herded through a maze of corporate sponsor tents with a million other people.

Full marathons run from $70-$140. I don't buy all the extras like t-shirts and visors - it would be prohibitive to go down that path.
I was so happy to get into this last half for only $105.  But now...if I want to pick up my race packet, I either drive 80 miles round trip the night before to get it, or I pay an extra $15 to pick it up the morning of...

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #268 on: April 29, 2019, 05:46:16 PM »
Still slowly recovering from my back and shoulder injuries, but my knee’s/shins/calves are starting to feel better. At my peak last month I was nearly at 20 hard miles a week. This month I’ve had to drop to around 30-40 for the month. Last week I slowly started picking it up again, and Saturday did 5 miles at an 8:15 pace which felt pretty good. Today I did an easier 3 miles.

My first 5K is in about a week and despite having an amazing 7 months of training since I started running last July, I’m pretty let down with all these nagging issues the last 4-8 weeks. I was thinking I should easily break 23 minutes, and quite potentially break 22 based on some current times and a random 2 miles I managed at 6:49/mile a couple months ago. We’ll have to see what I maintained With this downtime.

After the race I plan to take it easy for a week then slowly start picking up the running and lifting again. Until this month, all year had been 4 days running, 2 days lifting, but after a rest week next week I’m going to do 3 days running/3 days lifting for a couple months and try and pack on a bit more muscle. We’ll see how the shoulder and back does..

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #269 on: April 30, 2019, 11:19:25 AM »
And just like that...this morning we practiced "finishing".  Our race has a pretty long, gnarly hill at mile 11 or 11.5.  Which sucks.  And even another small hill at mile 12.5.  So there's a strategy for finishing.

So today at the track we did 1200 at Half marathon pace, 800 at 10k, and 400 at 5k.  I managed 9:24 pace for the 400, so that means my legs CAN go that fast (and it's literally the only time I manage the coveted 180 bpm).

Also, the coach mentioned that she's "running" the race, not "racing" the race, as are a couple of others.  Yay!  So it's perfectly acceptable for me to admit that.  I'm running, not racing.  I don't WANT to race every half marathon.  I think my honest goal for this year will be to break a 1 hour 10k.  In September.

Once the half is over I'm going to cut my running back from 3 to 2 days, add 1 day swimming again, and add a second day of lifting.  (Basically, lifting instead of hip/core.)  At least until the next race group.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #270 on: May 01, 2019, 12:24:04 PM »
I bit the bullet and switched from the half marathon on the 19th to a five miler. Feeling less stressed--I've white-knuckled my way through a 10k on no prep, so five miles should be fine. I'm starting with two this weekend.

So I have kind of a weird living situation at the moment. I started a job in City A over the winter, which is 1) my hometown and 2) where my SO and I plan to live long term--but it's a super-small market and I work in a very niche field, so when jobs open up, you have to hop on them. The SO and I still technically live in City B. It's about 1.5 hours away, so I've been crashing with my family most weeknights to avoid the commute. I've always hated running at my family's house: it's in your prototypical suburban neighborhood so you  have to run cul-de-sacs over and overrrr, or drive somewhere.

BUT! A new connector trail has opened up to a nearby park, since the last time I've spent consistent time here. The park has about five miles of trails and a weekly trail running group. I took the dog down the connector last night, and I'm SO EXCITED. This is a complete game-changer for my daily run game in City A. I miss running and I'm SO ready to get back out there, especially with fun new trails to explore.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #271 on: May 01, 2019, 02:39:27 PM »
I bit the bullet and switched from the half marathon on the 19th to a five miler. Feeling less stressed--I've white-knuckled my way through a 10k on no prep, so five miles should be fine. I'm starting with two this weekend.

So I have kind of a weird living situation at the moment. I started a job in City A over the winter, which is 1) my hometown and 2) where my SO and I plan to live long term--but it's a super-small market and I work in a very niche field, so when jobs open up, you have to hop on them. The SO and I still technically live in City B. It's about 1.5 hours away, so I've been crashing with my family most weeknights to avoid the commute. I've always hated running at my family's house: it's in your prototypical suburban neighborhood so you  have to run cul-de-sacs over and overrrr, or drive somewhere.

BUT! A new connector trail has opened up to a nearby park, since the last time I've spent consistent time here. The park has about five miles of trails and a weekly trail running group. I took the dog down the connector last night, and I'm SO EXCITED. This is a complete game-changer for my daily run game in City A. I miss running and I'm SO ready to get back out there, especially with fun new trails to explore.
So awesome!  I grew up in a rural area where the only places to run and walk are back roads.  Which are fine, except cars going 55 mph occasionally - and loose dogs.  And bears, but I never saw any bears.  So...you need to be awake and paying attention.

In the last 3-5 years, a group has been converting the old unused railways to trails, and they've been paving them.  So the last time I went home ... so many new trail options!  Hopefully by the next time I go they will have paved the next section, which LITERALLY goes through my stepfather's back yard. 

FreedomSeeker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #272 on: May 02, 2019, 09:25:10 AM »
So I signed up or my first challenge on the nike run club app. 50k for the month of May.

Anyone else using nike run club?

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #273 on: May 03, 2019, 07:14:13 AM »
Oh my gosh, last night's 5k was TOUGH.  22:31 for second lady and 7th overall.  250 feet of elevation gain, most of it in the back half.  My splits: 6:43, 7:23, 7:55.  LOLOLOL.  The most amazing positive split ever.  It was in the upper 70s with terrible humidity, too.  Despite being four minutes faster than last year's winning time, I just couldn't catch the lady in front of me.  The upshot is that she's really cool and lives in my 'hood, so I might have found a new running buddy.  :)

Gonna do another one next Thursday on a much flatter course.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #274 on: May 04, 2019, 01:49:23 AM »
Lowered my 10k best time by 2 minutes today and finished in 46:47! Super happy, but it nearly came unstuck after 9k when my legs started getting tight and crampy. I was a little grumpy in the last 500m about not being able to "kick" but still managed to blow my goal away for this race which was 48 minutes.

So today at the track we did 1200 at Half marathon pace, 800 at 10k, and 400 at 5k.  I managed 9:24 pace for the 400, so that means my legs CAN go that fast (and it's literally the only time I manage the coveted 180 bpm).

I had to do some maths here.... this converts to just under 6:00/km pace(?) That must have felt really good to get back towards your last year pace :)

Oh my gosh, last night's 5k was TOUGH.  22:31 for second lady and 7th overall.  250 feet of elevation gain, most of it in the back half.  My splits: 6:43, 7:23, 7:55.  LOLOLOL.  The most amazing positive split ever.  It was in the upper 70s with terrible humidity, too.  Despite being four minutes faster than last year's winning time, I just couldn't catch the lady in front of me.  The upshot is that she's really cool and lives in my 'hood, so I might have found a new running buddy.  :)

Gonna do another one next Thursday on a much flatter course.

Oh my god that seems like a tragedy that finishing climb! I'll bet it murdered a few people. I've slowly come to appreciate the benefit of climbs in training. Don't think I will ever grow to like them though.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #275 on: May 04, 2019, 05:47:23 AM »

Marathon I did here last month was £30 - including a pretty nice t-shirt. Really well organised too, with hundreds of volunteers on the water stations etc.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #276 on: May 05, 2019, 09:47:45 AM »
This weekend I ran my very first road race. Needless to say the nervousness was pretty high as I really didn’t know what to expect. I think there were a couple thousand runners. I injured my back squatting really bad a couple months ago and my running mileage has basically cut in half since. It’s been feeling better the last week but I knew I still didn’t want to push it too much right before the race.

My original goal when I signed up a few months ago was 22 minutes, but I knew since cutting way back on my running, 23 minutes would be a much more reasonable goal.

That being said, I ran a 22:43!! I was very happy I made that goal and I really left everything out on the table. I did sprint the last 100 yards and pass a dozen people. Unfortunately there was a turn near the end or I could’ve picked it up a bit longer. There were several more “small” hills than I expected. Everywhere I train and run it’s completely flat, so it certainly went alright still.

One article that I read about run strategies which is pretty obvious but I kept reminding myself of was, “equal pace does not mean equal effort.” So - while obvious, it helped remind myself that although it was getting significantly harder i was still running a similar pace. According to my watch I was 7:09, 7:18, 7:09, although I know my watch is definitely a bit off as it said I ran 3.19 instead of 3.1, and it was a certified course, so I need to consider that for future races.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #277 on: May 05, 2019, 03:07:55 PM »
Mighty effort for your first race, well done!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: May 05, 2019, 04:32:59 PM »
Mighty effort for your first race, well done!

Thank You, and congrats on the 10k PR!! I’ll be looking forward to my first 10k eventually as well. Had a really good time at the race and big after party today. Went as good if not better than could have been expected.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #279 on: May 05, 2019, 06:18:18 PM »
I have my half marathon in two weeks. I was hoping to be at 11 miles this weekend, but I'm a couple of weeks behind on my long run training. I did 9, and feel really good. Yeah! I was previously having ankle & knee problems, so I'm super happy with the lack of pain. I'll do a couple of short runs + a 5-6 miler next weekend.

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #280 on: May 06, 2019, 07:42:25 AM »
Been going for a few months now, building up slowly (first time in my life).

Yesterday I ran 5 miles in 41 minutes - and it felt GOOD 😊

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #281 on: May 06, 2019, 09:28:24 AM »
Way to go, @use2betrix ! Great time and sounds like you had a good plan, and stuck to it :)

I did a very gentle 2 miles yesterday. Felt fine. I'd like to go today, but will be smart and take the dog for a long walk instead and run 2 again tomorrow. I can't sub yoga or anything like that, either. I'm climbing the walls...this is the least exercise I've done since I was like, 13.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #282 on: May 06, 2019, 01:47:11 PM »
I have my half marathon in two weeks. I was hoping to be at 11 miles this weekend, but I'm a couple of weeks behind on my long run training. I did 9, and feel really good. Yeah! I was previously having ankle & knee problems, so I'm super happy with the lack of pain. I'll do a couple of short runs + a 5-6 miler next weekend.
Lack of pain is a very good thing. My cousin ran her first half this weekend in 2:33.  That would be a stretch goal for me right now.  I'm hoping to run mine this weekend, enjoy the race and beautiful scenery.  Finish upright with a smile on my face.  (Stolen from Galloway's book.)

I'll be surprised if I break a 12:00 mile, because, like I said...I want to enjoy the process.

That being said, I ran a 22:43!! I was very happy I made that goal and I really left everything out on the table.

awesome job.

I realized this weekend that I like racing.  And I like tests of endurance, like long hikes, half marathons...I just really don't like the combination.  Because 2 hr and 30 to 40 mins is a LONG TIME to be out there.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #283 on: May 08, 2019, 04:57:19 AM »
Did my first serious run in months at the weekend - the injury I picked up over the winter appears to finally be fading away, and I got to do a 5km race at a decent clip. Still a few seconds per kilometre off my peak pace, but I'm very happy with the result.

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #284 on: May 09, 2019, 10:51:43 AM »
After posting a satisfactory 5 mile run, I wore new running shoes on Tuesday - and have had a recurrence of plantar fasciitis - ahhh! First time in over six month; deliberately building up slowly ...

Back to the drawing board (or at least tennis ball for the inflammation) ...

Running must be similar to golf - alluring, addictive and frustrating!

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #285 on: May 10, 2019, 04:21:53 AM »
@Slow road to freedom: have you tried a golf ball instead of a tennis ball?  The golf ball is smaller and harder and can really get at the fascia better than the tennis ball.  One day I worked really hard on the arch of my foot, and I felt nearly instant relief once I got over how much it hurt to break up that tissue.  None of the other remedies like stretching, icing, or taking time off did much for me, but that particular injury is weird and different for everyone.  Good luck!  I feel your pain.

So last night's 5k was decidedly NOT FLAT.  In fact, it had 210 feet of elevation gain over an out-and-back course.  I gave it what I had on those hills and finished in 21:39 with completely even splits and second lady overall AGAIN.  If I'm going to lose to someone, I'd rather she run multiple minutes ahead of me rather than multiple (15-30) seconds.  So demoralizing.  >_<  I was also racing in no-man's land with my husband and his group 30 seconds ahead and the next pack nearly a minute behind.

I think I should get more serious about track work before I go all-in on racing.  I'm starting to like 5ks more, though, because they're over quickly, and the recovery is so much easier.  If you have a bad day, go out and do one next week.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #286 on: May 10, 2019, 10:50:12 AM »
@Slow road to freedom: have you tried a golf ball instead of a tennis ball?  The golf ball is smaller and harder and can really get at the fascia better than the tennis ball.  One day I worked really hard on the arch of my foot, and I felt nearly instant relief once I got over how much it hurt to break up that tissue.  None of the other remedies like stretching, icing, or taking time off did much for me, but that particular injury is weird and different for everyone.  Good luck!  I feel your pain.

So last night's 5k was decidedly NOT FLAT.  In fact, it had 210 feet of elevation gain over an out-and-back course.  I gave it what I had on those hills and finished in 21:39 with completely even splits and second lady overall AGAIN.  If I'm going to lose to someone, I'd rather she run multiple minutes ahead of me rather than multiple (15-30) seconds.  So demoralizing.  >_<  I was also racing in no-man's land with my husband and his group 30 seconds ahead and the next pack nearly a minute behind.

I think I should get more serious about track work before I go all-in on racing. I'm starting to like 5ks more, though, because they're over quickly, and the recovery is so much easier.  If you have a bad day, go out and do one next week.

I like this attitude.

Tomorrow's my half!  I'm feeling remarkably chill about it since I decided to run it and not race it.  Last year I was freaked out, and concerned about getting there, and begged a carpool arrangement because I didn't know if I could drive an hour back, etc. etc. (Plus it was a point-to-point race last year.)

This time, I'm driving, and I've offered up a carpool.  So I'm taking two other ladies with me - I think it's their first half marathon.  They are both slower than me.  At least one of them is a bit nervous, so I'm happy to "pay it forward" to let them chill on the way up and back.  Plus, they can have a glass of wine at the end (I'm packing myself some Pellegrino.)

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #287 on: May 10, 2019, 12:22:41 PM »
Good luck @mm1970!  and most importantly, have fun!  Sometimes the low pressure races surprise us in the best way.  Plus the joy of newly-minted half marathoners is so infectious.

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #288 on: May 10, 2019, 02:14:42 PM »

Thank you - I've not used a golf ball, but I have acquired an odd lumpy plastic equivalent, I think specifically for physio-type use. And you're right, it does hurt - but rather than waiting for months on end I can feel a definite improvement after a few days. Amazing! Hope to be running again in a few days.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #289 on: May 13, 2019, 10:55:53 AM »
Good luck @mm1970!  and most importantly, have fun!  Sometimes the low pressure races surprise us in the best way.  Plus the joy of newly-minted half marathoners is so infectious.
What's the opposite of a PR?  Sigh. Good thing I wasn't racing. Stomach cramps from 3.5 to 8.5 miles (never get stomach cramps??)  At which point I say EFF THIS and just slow down even more, walk a lot more, take pictures (though some didn't come out), use the bathroom.

ya know it's not your day when you get a text from your coach "did you finish already?" when you are about 1/2 mile from the finish.  Of course I stopped to answer her, because why not?

I was a bit obsessed the rest of the day but woke up with some perspective on Mother's day.  It's a single race.  It's one run in a sea of runs.  And as badly as I did, I still finished my 8th half marathon.

And yes, my carpool buddy finished her first!  She just turned 50.  We grabbed lunch with the rest of the group, but only lasted about 30 minutes before I looked over and said "You wanna go?  I'm BEAT."  We were both pretty tired.  That's the difference between being 50 and taking ~3 hours vs being 30-35 and taking 2 hours.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #290 on: May 14, 2019, 05:48:07 AM »
What's the opposite of a PR?  Sigh. Good thing I wasn't racing. Stomach cramps from 3.5 to 8.5 miles (never get stomach cramps??)  At which point I say EFF THIS and just slow down even more, walk a lot more, take pictures (though some didn't come out), use the bathroom.

Well, only because you asked....it's "PW."  = personal worst.  Sorry to hear you had cramps!  It's one thing to have a bad day, but to have it in that way kind of sucks.  I've never had it happen during races, but I've had plenty of dicey moments thanks to my sh!tty digestive system (pun intended).  My secret for long (> 15k) races: I take Imodium.  It means discomfort for the proceeding days, but it's worth it for the peace of mind during the event.

Definitely don't feel bad about how the race played out, though!  I once DNFed a marathon and felt like such a failure.  Now it barely registers.  I know I made the right choice that day, because I was coming off an illness, and finishing the race out of stubbornness would have just set me back more.  Taking it easy (easier) was exactly what your cramping stomach was telling you to do.  Regardless of age, 3 hour half marathons ARE tough!  That's a long time to be out there, so way to go!  Maybe now it's time for a 5k?  ;)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #291 on: May 14, 2019, 05:59:08 AM »
Sorry to hear @mm1970, but the great thing about running is that there's always another one just around the corner to do if you want to make up for it :)

Well, only because you asked....it's "PW."  = personal worst.  Sorry to hear you had cramps!  It's one thing to have a bad day, but to have it in that way kind of sucks.  I've never had it happen during races, but I've had plenty of dicey moments thanks to my sh!tty digestive system (pun intended).  My secret for long (> 15k) races: I take Imodium.  It means discomfort for the proceeding days, but it's worth it for the peace of mind during the event.

Definitely don't feel bad about how the race played out, though!  I once DNFed a marathon and felt like such a failure.  Now it barely registers.  I know I made the right choice that day, because I was coming off an illness, and finishing the race out of stubbornness would have just set me back more.  Taking it easy (easier) was exactly what your cramping stomach was telling you to do.  Regardless of age, 3 hour half marathons ARE tough!  That's a long time to be out there, so way to go!  Maybe now it's time for a 5k?  ;)

Doesn't this mean you're at risk of "the runs" during the race? Or is it all flushed from your system by race day? I couldn't think of anything worse if I had to duck into a port potty every 3k and need to wipe *a lot* to make sure it's all clean before carrying on (sorry for the icky mental thoughts).

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #292 on: May 14, 2019, 06:55:36 AM »
Sorry to hear @mm1970, but the great thing about running is that there's always another one just around the corner to do if you want to make up for it :)

Doesn't this mean you're at risk of "the runs" during the race? Or is it all flushed from your system by race day? I couldn't think of anything worse if I had to duck into a port potty every 3k and need to wipe *a lot* to make sure it's all clean before carrying on (sorry for the icky mental thoughts).

Quite the opposite!  It will stop you up pretty good.  That's why the subsequent days are so painful.  ;)

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #293 on: May 14, 2019, 08:25:27 AM »
Hi everyone! Been a while since I checked in. I haven't really been running very much at all lately and have instead been focusing on strength training and doing HIIT workouts alot. I did sign up and do a quick 5K that an intern at my gym was doing for her final project. I had not run more than a mile in 6 months, and was able to complete the 5K in 26 minutes, so I'm not terribly disappointed with that. Got a Spartan Race on the calendar for October, so I hope to crank the running back up soon. Hope everyone's training is going well!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #294 on: May 14, 2019, 10:40:35 AM »

Ha ha yes, maybe a 5k next.  I do have a 10k in September.  But I think my next "race" will be the local "mile" (downhill mile race/ fun run).  I've never done it before.

I went online this morning to look at the race photos (which, of course, I will not buy because: $40).  They had my last 3 years results on there on a single page.  2:52 / 2:28 / 2:52.  Sigh.  Maybe I can get 2:28 next year. 

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #295 on: May 16, 2019, 12:57:32 PM »
Hi Everyone, I'd like to join you all! 

I'm returning to running after being injured since January with posterior tib tendinitis (right ankle) and a strained psoas. 

I ran my first marathon in November 2018, I miss my sub-4 goal by 5 minutes... Cramps at mile 20 were awful. 

To be quite honest I tackled the marathon distance too soon. I had only been running for a year up to that point and quite honestly not very consistently. 

This year I'm joining the marathon training team again but will run with a different group that runs fewer miles.  I'm going to miss my team so much but I know this is for the best.  On race day I'll drop down to the half-marathon.

I really like running for the social aspect but my first love is weight lifting and that suffered majorly during last year's marathon training.  I realized there is no way to run 50 miles a week and lift heavy, well at least not for me.  This year's goal is to balance running, strength, and flexibility training to be a well rounded athlete.  I also want to focus on shorter distances and sign up for races - I hate racing but I'd like to change that. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #296 on: May 17, 2019, 11:08:00 AM »

I'm returning to running after being injured since January with posterior tib tendinitis (right ankle) and a strained psoas. 

I ran my first marathon in November 2018, I miss my sub-4 goal by 5 minutes... Cramps at mile 20 were awful. 

To be quite honest I tackled the marathon distance too soon. I had only been running for a year up to that point and quite honestly not very consistently. 

This year I'm joining the marathon training team again but will run with a different group that runs fewer miles.  I'm going to miss my team so much but I know this is for the best.  On race day I'll drop down to the half-marathon.

I really like running for the social aspect but my first love is weight lifting and that suffered majorly during last year's marathon training.  I realized there is no way to run 50 miles a week and lift heavy, well at least not for me.  This year's goal is to balance running, strength, and flexibility training to be a well rounded athlete. I also want to focus on shorter distances and sign up for races - I hate racing but I'd like to change that.

True that.  I'm feeling decision fatigue right now about training for the next all-uphill half.  I like doing a bit of everything, and 3 hour long runs don't allow for that.  Maybe I just need a break!

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #297 on: May 17, 2019, 11:19:20 AM »

I really like running for the social aspect but my first love is weight lifting and that suffered majorly during last year's marathon training.  I realized there is no way to run 50 miles a week and lift heavy, well at least not for me.  This year's goal is to balance running, strength, and flexibility training to be a well rounded athlete. I also want to focus on shorter distances and sign up for races - I hate racing but I'd like to change that.

True that.  I'm feeling decision fatigue right now about training for the next all-uphill half.  I like doing a bit of everything, and 3 hour long runs don't allow for that.  Maybe I just need a break!

Breaks are always good to recharge the body and soul.  What is the net gain on the half-marathon?  My legs are cramping just thinking about it lol. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #298 on: May 17, 2019, 02:24:40 PM »

Breaks are always good to recharge the body and soul.  What is the net gain on the half-marathon?  My legs are cramping just thinking about it lol.
4000 ft, give or take a few.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #299 on: May 17, 2019, 04:19:53 PM »
Slowly picking the running back up again after my 5K earlier this month. I have been nursing some pretty bad injuries (back, shoulder, leg) off and on for several months, so I knew my 5K was gonna be a big hoorah and then easing back into everything.

Looking at my “official” 5K split, it was a lot different than what my watch said. My actual splits were 7:24, 7:23, 6:56. So I clearly had a bit more left in the tank at the end.

That being said, it was by far one of the most physically challenging things I’ve ever done. Looking back, I really knew I had to prepare myself mentally as much if not more than physically. I knew exactly what I needed as a pace for my 23 minute goal, and when I ran the race I basically knew there were only 2 outcomes. I was going to break the 23 minutes, or I was going to push myself so insanely hard that I completely collapsed and or stopped. My pulse crossing the finish line was 199, which is pretty high considering I’m 31..

Anyways, time to slowly start picking up the running again and again. I’m confident that by the end of the year I can break 22, likely 21, barring no major injuries.

What’s most annoying, is my shoulder and back injuries that happened this year were both directly during weight lifting. Something I’ve been doing almost non-stop for about 15 years. Despite pushing myself so hard running for the first time starting last summer, my running issues have been very minimal.