Author Topic: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread  (Read 67638 times)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
Re: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread
« Reply #200 on: March 13, 2019, 06:47:28 PM »
@mm1970 - thanks for the detailed input! I did not know the first thing about running clubs, so it’s interesting to hear about them and the logistics. With an improved schedule some day on my end someday it sounds like a lot of fun.

@marty998 - that’s awesome - so by the math it sounds like you’re doing close to 30 miles/wk? That explains the fantastic times.. I’m currently at 18 miles or so, but am aiming for around 20-25 as a goal and then keep picking up the paces at those levels.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2019, 08:17:41 AM »
Joining since I'm signed up for a rare-for-me spring race--I'm doing a half in May. I'm being pretty casual with training: 1) it's hard for me to motivate myself to crank it for halfs at this point, since my PR (low 1:41) is probably untouchable, at least with the amount of work I'm willing to put in; and 2) my main motivation in signing up for it was a desire for a little more external motivation than I usually feel in the spring.

I did my first marathon last fall in 3:57, and am going for #2 this year to try to get under 3:55. It should be achievable since I got injured A LOT last summer, and then had a race-day injury come out of nowhere that cratered my last few miles. Hopefully a more intentional mileage base will help with the injuries. I'm also trying to keep up with cross-training, which I'm historically terrible at. I don't have a super-consistent cross-training routine right now, but I should probably figure it out before my mileage ramps up more, ugh. Unlike just about everyone on this thread, it seems, I DESPISE lifting. D E S P I S E. I don't belong to a gym or studio at the moment and am trying to subsist on Yoga with Adriene and FitnessBlender HIIT on YouTube, but based on past performance that's likely to sizzle out in a few weeks. Unfortunately the only other non-running exercise that I love is too spendy for my current financial goals. [cue tiny violin]

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: March 14, 2019, 06:45:37 PM »
was really not feeling like running tonight from when I get home or even my first couple miles. However, after about 3-4 miles I broke the wall and hit a fantastic stride where I was pushing but not tiring out excessively fast.

About two weeks ago I ran a personal 10k with a goal of under 9 minute miles. I was thrilled when I hit an 8:50 average pace and a total time of 54:49. That was my first time ever really pushing myself at that distance, and had only had one longer run before that in my life (7 miles)

Tonight, I couldn’t recall what that last one was when I left, but was feeling pretty good around the 8:30/mile pace. I ended up running another 10k at an average pace of 8:32, shaving 1:53 off my previous 10k time! I was pretty pumped when I came home and compared the two times!

It’s about to start getting really hot and humid, so we’ll see how much I can actually improve over the next 6-8 months.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #203 on: March 14, 2019, 08:00:40 PM »
was really not feeling like running tonight from when I get home or even my first couple miles. However, after about 3-4 miles I broke the wall and hit a fantastic stride where I was pushing but not tiring out excessively fast.

This made me chuckle because I came to post something similar. The first mile was a liar tonight during my run. By about 1.5 miles, I was ready to throw in the towel... just tired legs. I pushed through and it turned into a really nice run where everything felt great. Running has been going well, but my legs are feeling the mileage increase over the past two weeks. Its a good feeling to have back actually.

First 5K of the year is this weekend. Plan is to pace a friend. It's a no frills, super cheap local race. But always fun to get out and see other area runners.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #204 on: March 14, 2019, 08:14:51 PM »

This made me chuckle because I came to post something similar. The first mile was a liar tonight during my run. By about 1.5 miles, I was ready to throw in the towel... just tired legs. I pushed through and it turned into a really nice run where everything felt great. Running has been going well, but my legs are feeling the mileage increase over the past two weeks. Its a good feeling to have back actually.

First 5K of the year is this weekend. Plan is to pace a friend. It's a no frills, super cheap local race. But always fun to get out and see other area runners.

I believe it was here that someone had mentioned about a 1 mile warm up before a 5k. I’ve kept that in mind even during my longer runs, and I’ve used it to remind myself that the first 1-2 miles are really just a bit of a warm up. Boy do I get some pretty bad pains, but 95% of the time they work themselves out and I go back to feeling great. I keep a pretty short stride and it really wears out the muscle right above my knees. Sometimes I find myself needing to do a little bit of form running with high knees or butt kicks half way through my run to stretch those muscles out a bit.

How fast have you been increasing your mileage? I’ve read around 10% is max, i’ve been increasing considerably slower than that, mostly because i’m not training for a specific race so no need to take the risks of pushing it too fast.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #205 on: March 15, 2019, 12:50:11 AM »
Congrats fluffmuffin, hoping to do a similar time (3:57) but it will be a big stretch for me. Good luck with your training :)

I did my first marathon last fall in 3:57, and am going for #2 this year to try to get under 3:55. It should be achievable since I got injured A LOT last summer, and then had a race-day injury come out of nowhere that cratered my last few miles. Hopefully a more intentional mileage base will help with the injuries. I'm also trying to keep up with cross-training, which I'm historically terrible at. I don't have a super-consistent cross-training routine right now, but I should probably figure it out before my mileage ramps up more, ugh. Unlike just about everyone on this thread, it seems, I DESPISE lifting. D E S P I S E. I don't belong to a gym or studio at the moment and am trying to subsist on Yoga with Adriene and FitnessBlender HIIT on YouTube, but based on past performance that's likely to sizzle out in a few weeks. Unfortunately the only other non-running exercise that I love is too spendy for my current financial goals. [cue tiny violin]

@mustachepungoeshere, another yoga with Adriene fan :)

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #206 on: March 15, 2019, 05:20:01 AM »
@use2betrix : You will make improvements even in the hot and humid weather!  You just have to run by effort rather than the pace on your watch.  There is nothing more amazing than that first cool fall run when you feel like you're flying because of all your summer miles.  Keep at it, and maybe find a fun fall goal race (turkey trot?) to motivate you through the summer.

In other news, I am discouraged with my progress in this half marathon training plan.  I REALLY like Hansons marathon plans, but doing the same thing but faster for the half is breaking me down (mostly mentally).  The SOS (stuff of substance) workouts are nearly identical to the marathon ones, but they're run at MUCH faster paces.  I've been doing my "strength" workouts (generally one to three mile intervals) at 10k pace, which I'm estimating between 7:00 and 7:05/mile.  It's GRUELING.  I'm basically running a 10k PR within a normal weekday speed session, which is kind of preposterous.  So needless to say....I skipped my tempo run last night.  It was 70 degrees, sunny, and breezy, so I tried to just enjoy the taste of spring and cover the same amount of mileage.  I have been burning the candle at both ends for the past four weeks, and I'm dead.  This weekend is my last crazy weekend, thank goodness.  I'm probably stupid and stubborn for trying to maintain a strict training schedule with all that's going on.  Hopefully I can just chill out and enjoy my 14 miler tomorrow around the town I grew up in.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #207 on: March 15, 2019, 06:05:33 AM »
So I'm two weeks in to my new strength training program.  I dialed back my running to three days a week, so I could focus on the weight lifting and get off to a good start with that.

The start was pretty rough.  The first few weight workouts made me feel awful -- sick and dizzy -- but I stuck with it, and now they are actually feeling pretty good.  The fact that lifting light weights made me feel sick and dizzy is really scary, and shows how much I really needed to do this.  Just because I could run long distances did not mean I was healthy, apparently. 

And @use2betrix you were sooo right about diet being important.  I'm surprised at the dramatic effect the weight workouts have.  I've had to add another small meal a day, and I'm looking for good and varied sources of protein.   I was getting around 50 grams a day, and I'm now trying to double that.  We'll see how that goes!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: March 15, 2019, 06:24:43 AM »
So I'm two weeks in to my new strength training program.  I dialed back my running to three days a week, so I could focus on the weight lifting and get off to a good start with that.

The start was pretty rough.  The first few weight workouts made me feel awful -- sick and dizzy -- but I stuck with it, and now they are actually feeling pretty good.  The fact that lifting light weights made me feel sick and dizzy is really scary, and shows how much I really needed to do this.  Just because I could run long distances did not mean I was healthy, apparently. 

And @use2betrix you were sooo right about diet being important.  I'm surprised at the dramatic effect the weight workouts have.  I've had to add another small meal a day, and I'm looking for good and varied sources of protein.   I was getting around 50 grams a day, and I'm now trying to double that.  We'll see how that goes!

Good to hear you’re enjoying it more and also starting to see the need of toying around with your diet a bit! Your post workout meals should always be your biggest meals of the week. Your body is craving protein and carbs to repair and build muscle. In terms of weight lifting diets (especially for bodybuilders) their diets are so critical, many top level people have been quoted saying that they would rather miss an entire workout than miss a single meal. I always have a whey protein shake immediately after my workout (I have used Optimimun Nutrition 100% whey for over a decade) then I head home, shower, and have a big dinner.. Non workout days my protein stays the same, but I cut my carbs back quite a bit. The best protein sources will be some form of meat or eggs. I sometimes hear people say things like “nuts” however with non-meat sources you have to be careful because nuts for example are incredibly high in fat, which are incredibly high in calories. Fat has 9 calories/gram vs protein and carbs having 4 calories/gram.

You and I are very near opposites but heading in the same direction. With me doing 15+ years of weight training and no cardio, people would look at me and think “wow he’s in great shape” and compared to a sedentary person, I was. I could fly though heavy workouts in the gym. Put me on a treadmill or outside running? I was as bad if not worse than someone who didn’t exercise at all. With my muscle mass, it uses considerably more oxygen which makes it harder.

As I’ve started running (like you’re lifting) it’s opened up a whole new door and level of fitness I had never experienced. From a mental aspect, exercise helps a ton. I feel that cardio and weight lifting are both amazing for it, but very different. They compliment each other very well from the mental aspects of exercise.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 01:54:39 PM by use2betrix »

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #209 on: March 15, 2019, 01:16:54 PM »
@use2betrix Last week I increased by roughly 20% (it felt good!) over my mileage for the last few weeks. But my easy couple of months was right around 20 miles per week, so we're only talking about 4 extra miles (Really it was 3.5... so maybe more like 17/18%?)  This week I will hold to the same mileage as last week so as not to compound the increase, but did my first actual hill workout in... 6 months? Probably longer. I think the last one was in July. So... when I push mileage, I will often increase a bit more than the 10% rule, but then I hold that increased mileage for a couple of weeks. Especially if my mileage has been somewhat low. It's hard to only increase 10% if you're only running a 15-20 miles.  I seldom if ever increase mileage and intensity in the same week.

I enjoy reading about folks strength workouts too! That's an area I really need to start focusing on. I do some body weight and band work, but I think I'd be better for a more serious program. I love running, I enjoying cycling, I tolerate swimming... basically cardio is my jam. Having never lifted (like not even in HS), is there benefit in paying for a few personal training sessions to help get an idea around the gym? Or are there particular resources that people would recommend?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2019, 05:46:35 PM »
More deadlifts today!  Goal was to figure out our 1 rep max.  Pretty much I was the only real newbie there (1RM: 105#).  Not bad I think for a 5'2" newb.  The other 4 people came in at 185 (man), 205 (woman), 205 (man), and 235 (woman - who I later found out was the trainer's wife.)

Anyway, will probably be my last class of this type for awhile.  Running coach/ gym owner/ trainer suggested that 2x a week lifting, 1x a week hip/core, on top of the 3x a week running might be a bit much.  And especially, the hour long Friday class maybe not the best idea the day before "long run Saturdays" during training.  So I'll be doing Tue/Thu/Sat run, Monday weightlifting, Weds hip/core.

Or is it that I suck and I'm holding others back?   It's $20 a class, so I assume she's looking out for me.  I admit, I'm gonna miss the deadlifts, but not the pullups.  Which...what's the point?  I can't do them, and not even very good with a lot of assistance.

So...thinking long term, I'll have 2 months between half marathon training programs (after the one that starts soon, before the "all up hill" half.)  I'm hoping that I can focus more on weight training during those 2 months, and up it to 2x a week.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: March 15, 2019, 07:39:54 PM »
More deadlifts today!  Goal was to figure out our 1 rep max.  Pretty much I was the only real newbie there (1RM: 105#).  Not bad I think for a 5'2" newb.  The other 4 people came in at 185 (man), 205 (woman), 205 (man), and 235 (woman - who I later found out was the trainer's wife.)

Anyway, will probably be my last class of this type for awhile.  Running coach/ gym owner/ trainer suggested that 2x a week lifting, 1x a week hip/core, on top of the 3x a week running might be a bit much.  And especially, the hour long Friday class maybe not the best idea the day before "long run Saturdays" during training.  So I'll be doing Tue/Thu/Sat run, Monday weightlifting, Weds hip/core.

Or is it that I suck and I'm holding others back?   It's $20 a class, so I assume she's looking out for me.  I admit, I'm gonna miss the deadlifts, but not the pullups.  Which...what's the point?  I can't do them, and not even very good with a lot of assistance.

So...thinking long term, I'll have 2 months between half marathon training programs (after the one that starts soon, before the "all up hill" half.)  I'm hoping that I can focus more on weight training during those 2 months, and up it to 2x a week.

I have a lot of opinions on this post and your trainers suggestions, so I’ll give you my two cents.. I’m also asking a ton of questions to maybe have some more input..

First of all, while you may consider yourself a “newb” in your deadlift group, I hope you mean that based on your experience, and not your numbers. Other than the trainers wife, who I would still consider an average lifter with average experience, the rest of the group would be newbies as well. So.. Please don’t be too hard on yourself in that regard.

As for your training schedule, I’d like to hear more input about what your Sunday-Saturday schedule is like for running each day (miles/intensity), what are your two weight lifting sessions like (length, exercises performed, intensity) and what’s your hip/core workout consist of?

What are your goals? What do you enjoy? I’m going to “assume” that the 1970 is your birth year? And being a female around that age, it’s more important than EVER to do resistance training for overall health, as women’s bones density starts to decline especially faster around that age and weight lifting helps mitigate many of those type of problems.

It sounds like you love weight lifting. If that’s the case, I would honestly knock out the hip/core program and keep the weight lifting. If anything, you can incorporate some of the hip/core workouts into your weight lifting workouts.

Since I have always loved weightlifting as probably my biggest lifetime passion, but now am loving running, I’m working very very hard to incorporate both so I can be successful and enjoy both. Let me give more detail on how I incorporate both.

I should add, since I have been weightlifting for so long, I have no need or desire to put on more muscle or strength. My goal is entirely to maintain while increasing my running capacity. Since you’re definitely an amateur weight lifter, you have more opportunity to increase both running and lifting simultaneously.. This workout is just based on me based off my experience and goals, I wouldn’t suggest it to most others. I’m just posting as an example and a general idea how to incorporate both.

Sunday - weight lifting/ quads, hamstrings, calves, biceps
Quads - two exercises - heavy front squats or back squats / lunges
Hamstrings - I choose two of - stiff leg dead left, single leg curls, lying leg curls
Calves - seated single calf raises and standing calf raises
Biceps - two-three exercises of the million different bicep options.

Monday - easy post leg day recovery run, 3-4 easy miles. My 5k pace is around 7:35 min/mile, these are run around 9-10 min mile’s

Tuesday - similar to Monday, often a mile longer and a tad faster, still a recovery day

Wednesday - weight lifting/chest, shoulders, triceps, back
Chest - two exercises, one heavy (DB flat or incline press, BB flat or incline, or hammer strength) then one fly exercises
Shoulders - two exercises, one heavy (DB shoulder press, machine shoulder press) then either fly’s or upright rows
Triceps - two exercises of the million standard tricep exercises
Back width - lat pull downs on the machine or hammer strength
Back thickness - close grip bent over rows or cable rows or rack pulls

Thursday-Saturday
Out of these three days, I run two and rest 1. I aim to run Thursday/Friday so I can rest before Sundays leg day. One of these days is typically either a long day, or a hard day, or a long hard day lol. Sometimes it might be two medium length days, or sometimes a hard day and an easy day. Often depends how I feel and on the weather. I try for some type of “super hard” running day every other week or occasionally two weeks in a row.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. I just got an iPad vs 99% of my previous posts being from my phone, so it makes it easy to type 100 wpm instead of like 30 on the phone, and thus the forum will forever be stuck with my walls of text.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:59:41 AM by use2betrix »

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #212 on: March 16, 2019, 06:30:41 PM »

It seems as if I’m one of the few, if any, regular treadmill runners here.

Are there any others out there? It rains here a ton, it’s hot, humid, sticky, and I guess I just don’t have a desire to run in the rain.. That being said, I do still aim for 1/3 to 1/2 of my runs to be outside, especially harder runs, longer runs, etc. My treadmill runs or either more during recovery after hard runs/gym sessions, poor weather, or to simply get more easy miles in.

Also - while I love the cold weather, it seems hard extended cardio below 50 degrees often gives me a cold for the next few days..
[/quote]

Raises hand, I bought a treadmill this year.  I've run through winter in the past.  I am totally happy with my purchase.  I love my treadmill for bad weather.  I was happy to get out and run in a park today though.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: March 16, 2019, 11:56:48 PM »
Got a 10-second PB at park run yesterday... mostly because @marty998 decided my previous PB for this course had stood long enough.

He set the pace (my PB pace is his easy mode) and I just had to stick with him.

Would definitely recommend him as a running coach. :D

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #214 on: March 17, 2019, 04:07:44 AM »
Got a 10-second PB at park run yesterday... mostly because @marty998 decided my previous PB for this course had stood long enough.

He set the pace (my PB pace is his easy mode) and I just had to stick with him.

Would definitely recommend him as a running coach. :D

It helped that instead of swearing at me you put the extra effort into running faster :D

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: March 18, 2019, 04:17:04 AM »
Having never lifted (like not even in HS), is there benefit in paying for a few personal training sessions to help get an idea around the gym? Or are there particular resources that people would recommend?

First of all - there is in principle no need to go to a gym in the first place. Own body weight, maybe combined with a bare minimum of equipment or some bars etc in a park, a branch of a tree or whatever is more than enough. Google around for "male gymnast" or something similar. Those guys are some of best trained athletes out there, have a body most body builders would die for and most of them has hardly ever, if ever at all, lifted weights. The same goes for sport climbers.

Using body weight also reduces the risk of injury to pretty much as close to zero as it can get.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: March 18, 2019, 04:19:35 AM »
Having never lifted (like not even in HS), is there benefit in paying for a few personal training sessions to help get an idea around the gym? Or are there particular resources that people would recommend?

First of all - there is in principle no need to go to a gym in the first place. Own body weight, maybe combined with a bare minimum of equipment or some bars etc in a park, a branch of a tree or whatever is more than enough. Google around for "male gymnast" or something similar. Those guys are some of best trained athletes out there, have a body most body builders would die for and most of them has hardly ever, if ever at all, lifted weights. The same goes for sport climbers.

Using body weight also reduces the risk of injury to pretty much as close to zero as it can get. If one is looking to cut expenses / increase savings rate - gym membership is one of the most obvious items to let go in my opinion. I would argue that it is counter-productive as well, as not being dependent on a gym makes it much easier to exercise whenever you want and whenever there is time.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #217 on: March 18, 2019, 10:03:21 AM »

Using body weight also reduces the risk of injury to pretty much as close to zero as it can get.

I hope your post is only referencing resistance training in terms of being a better runner. Many, many sports require strength that is well beyond anything that body weight exercises can provide. My weight lifting is definitely a hindrance on my running due to the extra amount of oxygen my body needs to fuel my larger muscles. However, I can still squat twice my body weight and bench press 1.5x my body weight. Something that probably no “professional” runners can do.. I work on being a “hybrid” athlete (I have seen the term described). I don’t want to be the best runner, or the best weight lifter, I want to be the best I can be at both, understanding that they will also both hinder the other in certain ways.

Also - professional gymnasts would never stand a chance on a professional bodybuilding stage, nor could they keep up with their workouts. Nothing against either one, they are just entirely different.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: March 18, 2019, 12:32:51 PM »

I hope your post is only referencing resistance training in terms of being a better runner. Many, many sports require strength that is well beyond anything that body weight exercises can provide. My weight lifting is definitely a hindrance on my running due to the extra amount of oxygen my body needs to fuel my larger muscles. However, I can still squat twice my body weight and bench press 1.5x my body weight. Something that probably no “professional” runners can do.. I work on being a “hybrid” athlete (I have seen the term described). I don’t want to be the best runner, or the best weight lifter, I want to be the best I can be at both, understanding that they will also both hinder the other in certain ways.

Also - professional gymnasts would never stand a chance on a professional bodybuilding stage, nor could they keep up with their workouts. Nothing against either one, they are just entirely different.

If your goal is to lift as heavy weights as possible, then yes, you will have to lift weights. But one can get very strong (way beyond what's normally needed for a casual athlethe) and efficiently train all the major muscle goups without ever setting ones foot inside a gym or lifting weights. That was my main point. Own boy weight goes a very long way. The widespread idea that one needs to go to a gym, or have access to special equipment to train strength for the entire body is in my opinion a misconception. And probably counter-productive as one suddently is dependent on having access to a gym to do one's routine.

And this being a personal finance site - paying for a gym membership is highly optional for the vast majority. That goes for endurance training and strength training. There is always the great outdoors and very basic, but effective equipment to use at home.

And no, a top runner would most def never want to be able to bench press 1.5x body weight:)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #219 on: March 18, 2019, 12:59:39 PM »
Walls of text...ha ha, bring them on!

Yes, you are correct on the birth year in my name.  That's why I have been adding more weight training.

My biggest limitation is time, really.  I work full time and have 2 kids in 2 schools.  And I need sleep.  I'm an early bird, but too many early days in a row and I end up with 7.5 hours sleep days on end, when I do much better with 8.5.

So, running schedule:

Tues track: an hour (including warm-up), depending on the week, seems to be coming in around 3.5 miles.  This is the high intensity day.
Thurs morning run: an hour (including warm-up).  This is usually 45 minutes of active running.  For me, that's going to come out to about 4 miles, maybe up to 4.5 near the end of the training.  Intensity varies.  Some weeks: high (hill repeats or tempo).  Some not.
Sat long run: will start with one hour (5-5.5 miles), and work up to 10-11 miles over 8 weeks.

This is probably pretty much the minimum to train for a half marathon, and I'm not interested in doing more than that.  I'm unlikely to PR this next race or even do as well as I did last year.

What does that leave? Monday, Weds, Friday, Sunday.

Sunday is an hour on the elliptical, chatting with my bestie.  This is a non-negotiable. The elliptical is the only thing she can do without pain.  We both kind of hate it.  But we need the chat time.  I usually take the little kid to the pool in the afternoons too, so some swimming in there.

Monday: weight training day, which is a full body workout.
Wednesday: the only class offered that I could go to is a cardio class, besides the hip and core.  Cardio - don't need it, plus it's really early and I need to sleep in once in awhile.  Hip and core is later - it also involves weighted work (squats, deadlifts, etc). 

I like the hip + core workout - I found over the year of running with this trainer that once I started doing hip + core work, that my "wearout" happened later and I was much less likely to be injured.  You could map a route on my hips - 7 miles, 6.98, 7.05 miles miles - they would start to ache.  With the regular hip + core class, that increased to 10 miles.  So that's a win.

The only other day left is Friday.  I really sorta like the Friday weight class - but it IS pretty difficult for someone "new" to weightlifting.  And I find myself sore for a couple of days (it actually hurt to run on Saturday because all the jiggles in the upper body/ back/ arms).

Basically, I'm looking to build strength, get my running back after the injury, and not go too crazy on the schedule.  I would like a day off a week.

I refer to myself as a newb because I'm still working on form.  The other folks, mostly, have been doing this for awhile (months to  years).  Many of them (75%?) are runners who lift, not lifters who run.  So the gym has that kind of focus, and those kinds of number (though later that day one of the "old guys" did 305#, which I thought was awesome.  He's not really old. 51.  But older than me!)

I spent a couple of months when unable to run lifting at home.  I really enjoyed it BUT sometimes just had the tendency to "phone it in".  I like the classes because I can't do that.  I like that they are (mostly) kettlebell classes because I REALLY have to focus on form.

Examples in Monday workout (varies each week):  Weighted V-ups, Turkish get ups, weighted squats, weighted step ups, kettlebell cleans, kettlebell swings, single arm presses, push ups, jump squats.  Class is an hour.  Usually warm-up for 5-10 minutes, cool down for 5-10 minutes.

Hip and core is a shorter workout, but also involves weights, balance.

Friday workouts are an hour of "combo" meaning weights (pullups, negative pullups, pushups, presses, deadlifts) and intervals (burpees, jump squats, bear crawls).  I've only been twice so I'm sure there are lots of other things...there's something new every week.  I think the upper body part and the interval part are what may make Saturday runs not much fun.

In short (too late, I know) - I'm a dabbler.  I like to do ALL THE THINGS.  I don't care to be awesome at everything.  Just...fit, healthy, and better than I was yesterday.  There are times when I'm perfectly thrilled to have my workout be 1x elliptical, 1x run, 1x swim, 1x hike, some yoga, 2-3x lunchtime walks, and some body-weight exercises like push-ups, squats, and lunges.  Right now I'm finding more motivation with running and weight training and actually PAYING for it.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #220 on: March 19, 2019, 10:54:25 AM »
I've been having a pretty rough go of things in the last few months, and was feeling really grumpy and down yesterday. I decided to treat myself to driving to my favorite trail for my run. Spent a few very meditative miles running through the woods and felt like a new person by the time I was done.

Doing yoga with my girl Adriene today. My running schedule will be a little odd this week, since I need to get my 7 mile "long" run in on Friday. My bachelorette party is this weekend and we're doing yoga/?? mystery surprise workout to kick things off on Saturday, and I sincerely doubt that I'm going to feel like running on Sunday morning...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #221 on: March 19, 2019, 03:04:04 PM »
Yesterday on my lunch walk, I was thinking/ noodling on health and fitness, and how I think it's a sliding scale.  But more than that, it's a bunch of sliding scales.   You've got many different kinds of fitness and many different sports.  You aren't going to be the best at all of them, or even any of them.  And one isn't inherently better than another.  Running isn't better than walking or hiking - it's different.  Heavy lifting isn't better than using lighter weights or body weight - they are different.  Same with various sports, yoga, pilates, etc.

Anyway, today was day #1 of half marathon training, and I just have to say a few things made me giggle and smile!

- One of the ladies that  I have never met said "are you a runner?  You seem like a runner."  It was so sweet.
- One of the men (who I ran the uphill half with), did a little joking/ trash talking about how I'm working to beat him this year (he's 68.  20 years older than I am.  In all of the training runs last year, I passed him at some point on the hill.  But on the actual race - the first 2.5-3 miles are only a slight uphill/ mostly flat.  He's so much faster on the flat that I couldn't catch him.  He beat me by 1.5 minutes or so.)
- Of of the other women I know (from the same uphill half) - is young-ish (late 20s) and super speedy.  As in, 7-min miler on the flats.  She's amazing.  She said "you are so graceful when you run, you just glide!"  I had to laugh - really?  I certainly don't feel like I'm gliding!!  I feel like I pound like crazy and I am def a bit of a heel striker.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #222 on: March 19, 2019, 08:13:24 PM »
@mm1970 - That’s a lot of info! I hear you the sleep thing. For the last 6-8 years my wife and I have been pretty gun-ho for our 8 hours. We’ve lifted 3 days a week for a long time, but now that I’m at lifting 2 days (60-90 mins) plus running 4 days (40-60 mins + warm up) along with my hours creeping up towards 60/wk, it’s definitely cutting into my free/relaxing time.. With that in mind, I have dangerously start cutting my sleep back to 7 hours for several nights a week. So far it’s been alright and seemingly worthwhile.

It sounds like your hip/core workout is pretty geared towards weightlifting with the deadlifts and squats, so that’s good. You could always alternate and choose 2 of the 3 weight lifting classes each week, unless they are something that requires a regular weekly commitment.

It also seems like you really enjoy the social aspect of your running clubs, classes, Sunday elliptical with your friend, etc. With that in mind, you are a bit limited to your various class/club offerings. Not that it is a bad thing, the social aspect for many people is as enjoyable as the exercise.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #223 on: March 19, 2019, 09:49:32 PM »
I’m in Boulder City, NV for work this week (just below Hoover Dam) and made it out for about 5 miles up into a canyon and onto some mtb trails towards the end.  Most of the running was after I turned and started downhill, heh.  I’ll do it again and add more running if it’s not raining/thunderstorms on Thursday.

Enjoying the discussion about the different degrees and aspects of fitness in this thread.

I’ll be interested to see how my riding fitnes (mostly core tone/strength) has suffered from six months out of the saddle, though I’ve been trying to maintain with various gym exercises.  I do notice that riding and running help maintain my fitness for the other, cardio-wise.

Phoenix_Fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #224 on: March 20, 2019, 04:07:39 PM »
Guess I'll jump in here since when I saw this thread a few weeks ago I got excited and it made me start thinking about running again.

Running background:

I ran off and on for a few years from 2006-2012.  Fall of 2012 I started running more, and kept with it.  I pretty much do trail running only as road and treadmill bore me to tears. In March, I started running with a group that met up every Wednesday.  Quite a few of them were into ultra-marathons, which I hadn’t heard of before.  I did a few runs outside the group with a couple of them, and realized that if I dropped my pace down just slightly, I could add on a lot of miles.  I had my first run over 10 miles, and then started doing that distance much more frequently, and at my pace.  After pacing a couple of friends at their ultras, I decided to give it a try.  In December, I entered a 50k, which I completed in 5:02:41, with 2,300 feet of elevation gain. My mistake, and this is a big one, was my previous long run wasn’t 25 miles, it wasn’t 20 miles, it was 19.2.  My longest training run in the 4 months before the race was 16.9.  So yes, I completed the course, but the course broke me.  I ended up with really bad tendinitis in my peroneal tendon where it attaches to the foot.  I tried running on it for a few more months, but even walking hurt.  Long story short, I stopped running, it took over a year to heal, and it was really hard to motivate myself to get back into it. 

For 2013, according to Strava, I completed 162 runs, for 942 miles with 144,882 feet of elevation gain, averaging about 9:05 per mile.

Jump ahead 5 years and 30 pounds later, it’s time to get back in shape.  I suppose this might ultimately be the real reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjTg7F59WfE I’ve done 5 runs (2.6-4.1 miles) the last two weeks, and they feel great emotionally.  Even physically isn’t too bad, but the cardio isn’t there yet.  The 5 pounds that have already dropped are great!  The temperature is climbing fast, we’re already mid 80’s, but if I can keep with it for a month or two, I should be able to maintain this even during the summer.  On days when the temp tops 110, I won’t run.  I’ve done that before, and even with taking the right precautions it’s dangerous. 

My goals are just to get back in shape, be able to run 5-10 miles at a time with incline when I feel like it, and avoid entering any races.  I’m super competitive, so unfortunately for me, I’m probably better off avoiding running groups again, and just going at my own pace. 

For anyone planning on any sort of long distance, make sure you work your way up to it.  If you are running at a really fast pace, you can slow down a bit and increase the mileage pretty safely, but if it’s going to be a sustained run for several hours be careful.  Trail running is wonderful, yes, uphill can be hard, but it will build your endurance pretty quickly.  Downhill, pay attention to what your knees and ankles tell you from the pounding they will take. 

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #225 on: March 20, 2019, 07:32:54 PM »
How often does everyone replace their running shoes? I have 424 miles on my Brooks Ghost 11’s and just ordered another pair. From what I’ve read, they recommend around 250-500 miles but there’s recommendations all over the place.

I’ll try the new ones and see if they feel any better, or worse case scenario, just save the new ones and keep racking up miles on the old ones.

When I started running last summer I was wearing 4-5 year old ASICS that were already complete worn down. The Brooks feel like I’m running on a cloud.. or ghost...

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #226 on: March 21, 2019, 04:57:36 AM »
Shoe replacement depends on the shoe and how you wear it, but generally around 500 miles is when I replace them.  I always have two pairs of shoes in rotation and don't run in them on back-to-back days so the foam gets a chance to decompress.  I'm not sure that actually makes a difference, but usually I can find good enough deals on shoes to keep rotating through two different brands of last year's model.

Ghosts usually crapped out on me just above 400 miles, while I seem to be able to get over 500 on the Levitates.  I'm going to get over 500 on my Mizuno Wave Riders, too.

I always know I'm due when my hips and knees start aching.  With enough experience, you'll just know when to replace.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #227 on: March 21, 2019, 06:17:45 AM »
I wear New Balance Minimus for treadmill running and trails with small rocks.  I get 2500-3000 miles out of each pair.  (It's a barefoot running shoe, so there's no structure to break down -- just a sole.)  Eventually the upper tears, or the sole does -- but both last a long time.

For trails with bigger rocks I wear Brooks Cascadia, and I get 500-1000 miles out of those.     

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #228 on: March 21, 2019, 01:57:44 PM »
How often does everyone replace their running shoes? I have 424 miles on my Brooks Ghost 11’s and just ordered another pair. From what I’ve read, they recommend around 250-500 miles but there’s recommendations all over the place.

I’ll try the new ones and see if they feel any better, or worse case scenario, just save the new ones and keep racking up miles on the old ones.

When I started running last summer I was wearing 4-5 year old ASICS that were already complete worn down. The Brooks feel like I’m running on a cloud.. or ghost...
I'm running on the Ghosts right now.  Was using New Balance but they changed the 1080s to be too narrow now.

I'm hard on shoes.  I rarely make it past 250 miles.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #229 on: March 21, 2019, 02:25:37 PM »

I'm running on the Ghosts right now.  Was using New Balance but they changed the 1080s to be too narrow now.

I'm hard on shoes.  I rarely make it past 250 miles.

For me it just seems to take one wet / muddy day and shoe wear and tear really starts to pick up quite quickly after that. Try and rotate my older shoes onto those days for that reason...

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #230 on: March 23, 2019, 08:01:45 AM »
This morning, I planned a moderate 4 mile run. After my half mile warmup feeling good, I decided I wanted to really push myself. I walked 1/4 mile after the warmup, then hit it hard. Prior to today, during the mile repeats I have done, my fastest individual mile was 7:08. Today, I did two consecutive miles at an average of 6:49/mile. Way faster than I expected, and starting to feel like a 20 minute 5k in 2019 might actually become a possibility. Still a ways to go but I’m getting there.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 05:04:29 AM by use2betrix »

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #231 on: March 28, 2019, 09:01:22 PM »
I signed up for my very first 5k in early May. My goal is to hit 22 minutes, which is a 7:05/mile pace. Going to be really tough but might be doable. That’d be a huge accomplishment to hit that but I’ll be content with anything less than 23 minutes still.

Also, since I’ll be traveling a lot for work this year I’ve decided to run a 10k in as many states as possible (not organized 10k, just on my own). I did Kentucky on Wednesday, and am in northern Minnesota tonight/tomorrow. I’m aiming for a 10k tomorrow morning before my meeting (supposed to be 23 degrees) which is pretty chilly for my somewhat southern acclimated self. I’m thinking I should be able to hit at least 6-7 states this year as of now, who knows what other trips I’ll have planned though. I may end up taking extra work trips just to get more states lol.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #232 on: March 29, 2019, 07:44:59 AM »
I ran 6 miles on Sunday, & I knew I needed new shoes. I'd ordered shoes, but they hadn't arrived yet. I have regrets. My knee & ankle have been sore all week, so I've been taking a break. I also ordered a knee brace, which I'm hoping will help as well. Shoes should arrive this weekend!

nowwhat?

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #233 on: March 29, 2019, 08:05:56 AM »

I use Hoka Bondi replace ~every 400 miles

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #234 on: March 31, 2019, 09:01:30 PM »
I wear New Balance Minimus for treadmill running and trails with small rocks.  I get 2500-3000 miles out of each pair.  (It's a barefoot running shoe, so there's no structure to break down -- just a sole.)  Eventually the upper tears, or the sole does -- but both last a long time.

For trails with bigger rocks I wear Brooks Cascadia, and I get 500-1000 miles out of those.   

Wut.

I've been running in NB Minimus for years and I only get about 300 miles out of them.  Even though it's minimal, there is cushion there, and I notice when it's gone.  A few years ago I had a couple identical pairs in rotation.  Put my shoes on and before I left the house, something felt wrong.  Sure enough, I had one old shoe and one new shoe on, and there was a big difference in the feel of the cushioning.  Now I run mostly on pavement, so that might be the difference, but they definitely pack down fairly quickly, and then I retire them to casual wear.

Ran 4.4 miles today.  Well, maybe walked 1.5 of it; my dog is getting old and slow, but still loves to go.  Ankle is a little sore now, so I've wrapped it for support, but it felt good during the run.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #235 on: April 01, 2019, 01:19:37 AM »

Wut.

I've been running in NB Minimus for years and I only get about 300 miles out of them.  Even though it's minimal, there is cushion there, and I notice when it's gone.  A few years ago I had a couple identical pairs in rotation.  Put my shoes on and before I left the house, something felt wrong.  Sure enough, I had one old shoe and one new shoe on, and there was a big difference in the feel of the cushioning.  Now I run mostly on pavement, so that might be the difference, but they definitely pack down fairly quickly, and then I retire them to casual wear.

Ran 4.4 miles today.  Well, maybe walked 1.5 of it; my dog is getting old and slow, but still loves to go.  Ankle is a little sore now, so I've wrapped it for support, but it felt good during the run.

If there is a shoe that I can get 4 thousand kilometres out of I'd love to hear about it! That would cover me for well over 2 years!

I ran a 12km fun run on Sunday with @mustachepungoeshere. We both set PBs for 10km and 12km which was great.

In my case, finish time was 58:56, which works out to a 4:55/km pace. I'm a little bit disappointed by that, figuring I could have gone maybe a minute faster if I really pushed, but I didn't want to embarrass myself and blow up. I think that mindset is a problem for me, because I'll always "never know" if I really could have gone faster.

Next race is a 10k in 5 weeks time, before a marathon in just 9 weeks time :O

Better go for a run now.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #236 on: April 01, 2019, 06:31:16 AM »

Wut.

I've been running in NB Minimus for years and I only get about 300 miles out of them.  Even though it's minimal, there is cushion there, and I notice when it's gone. 

Wut?  Hmm.  I guess it's individual differences then?  When you say you only get 300 miles out of them, how do they fail on you?  For me it's usually the upper tearing away from the sole near the place where my big toe joins my foot.

It's been about two years since I bought a new pair of Minimus (Minimi?) but I don't remember feeling any difference in cushioning when they are brand new.  I've got three pair of these in rotation, a 6 year old pair that is near the end, a 4 year old pair, and my "new" 2 year old pair.  Prior to these I had several other pairs, and they all lasted for about the same length of time.   At first I wore socks with them, but for the past few years I've gone barefoot only inside them.  I like they way they conform to my feet.  I wear them a lot, not just when I'm running.  I have a pair on right now haha:

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 07:21:29 AM by Trifele »

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #237 on: April 01, 2019, 08:12:03 AM »
Can someone elaborate a bit more about the “rotations” of shoes? This thread is the first time I’ve read/heard of this.

Is it for increased longevity of the shoes or some other sort of reason? Does it allow the cushioning to “rebound” or something? My last pair of shoes I just wore non stop for a bit over 400 miles and replaced. Planned to do the same with the new pair I got last week.

I’m not opposed to picking up a second pair if it will make them last longer, just want to understand.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #238 on: April 01, 2019, 08:33:09 AM »
Yes, I guess having more than one pair of running shoes makes the group of them last longer, but I don't think it would change how many miles you get out of each pair.  For me the 'rotation' is partly cosmetic.   All my pairs of running shoes feel the same to me so it's more about keeping one pair looking nicer than the others so I can wear it to the gym or whatever.  Also, when a pair eventually rips to the point where I can't wear them running, then it's nice to have shoes to run in that aren't brand new.  I usually don't wear socks when I run, so a brand new pair of shoes would likely cause some blistering or wounds. 

ETA:  I wear all three pairs for running, but maybe I'm using the word 'rotation' wrongly; it's more like a linear aging progression . . . 

The only reason I wear shoes at all is to avoid cutting and bruising injuries to my feet.  I don't need any padding and can (and do sometimes) run purely barefoot.  So maybe that explains why I keep shoes so long -- my requirements are very very low haha.  Just protect my skin from the glass and sharp rocks please
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 11:29:44 AM by Trifele »

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #239 on: April 01, 2019, 11:25:46 AM »
Can someone elaborate a bit more about the “rotations” of shoes? This thread is the first time I’ve read/heard of this.

Its also something (mainly?) one can do do slightly vary the load on the foot as a means to reduce the risk of injuries. At lest that's why I do it... I don't see any reason why it should make them last longer in terms of milage - I do it simply to keep my legs last longer. I obviously use different shoes for different conditions (asphalt/in the woods/during winter) but I always have more than one pair available for general use.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: April 01, 2019, 12:24:33 PM »
Thanks for all the input!

Habanero - I didn’t think of that at all. Maybe I should make a trip to the running store and find a different brand/model to rotate with for that slight change? That does make sense.

The only logic I had was that maybe after running long miles, giving the shoes more time “off” it somehow could help their compression rebound or something by being used less frequently?

So far - all my training has been on a treadmill or outside, so I’ve just used the same pair of shoes. I used to run on the treadmill a lot more, but lately I’ve reversed into running way more outside the last few weeks. Hopefully the weather holds out to keep that up for a while.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #241 on: April 01, 2019, 12:59:24 PM »
Thanks for all the input!

Habanero - I didn’t think of that at all. Maybe I should make a trip to the running store and find a different brand/model to rotate with for that slight change? That does make sense.

that's what I've always done, don't know how much it really helps but i heard it years ago and stuck with it.

Currently rotating a pair of Asics with a pair of Brooks.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #242 on: April 02, 2019, 08:11:33 PM »
This shoe conversation is timely, as I haven't been able to run for a week due to knee/ankle pain. My shoes are OLD, like, lost track of when I bought them old. I have a replacement ready to try out tomorrow, and I ordered a knee brace, as I'm just getting old & need one. ;-)

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #243 on: April 03, 2019, 02:15:55 AM »
Even if trying to save money - running shoes are not the place to skimp. They do probably last longer than most ppl think, but eventually they get worn out and need replacement, and as said - one should probably have more than one pair. Its also important to do some basic exersice to develop strength in the supporting/core musclature, 20-30 minutes at home with almost no equipment 3 times a week goes a long way. Someone who does only endurance sports (running/cycling/x-country skiing/etc) can have surprisingly weak supporting musclature despite being very fit in a cardiovascular sense.

Its also beneficial to vary the acticvity - a long, low-intensity run can be replaced by cycling for example. And even walking at a brisk pace (preferably slightly uphill) goes a long way. I have cut back a bit on the running back and forth home-job as about 7 kilometers (4.3 miles) twice a day proved too much. Now I walk more often. For that distance the time needed isn't all that different, for me the difference between a low-intensity run and a brisk walk is around 2 minutes / kilometer or about 3 minutes / mile. So for my "commute" its only about 15 minutes difference.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #244 on: April 03, 2019, 08:19:37 AM »
@Trifele  the uppers on mine don't fail, it's the cushioning.  I'm fairly heavy, so maybe I smash them down more,  but  I feel the difference when they lose their spring for running.  At least they can't get as off balance as a traditional running shoe due to uneven wear.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #245 on: April 10, 2019, 01:42:09 PM »
Okay, I actually finally registered for the half marathon in mid-May.  Sigh.  It's gonna hurt.  Ran 8.25 miles last weekend.  This coming weekend is probably 9.5-ish.

At my pace...it's just a long time to be running.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #246 on: April 10, 2019, 05:23:32 PM »
Well I have most certainly gone downhill. My back which I threw out a month ago has continually got worse. Not only that, my right leg has start hurting from my knee to ankle (shins, calves, etc.). Yesterday at the gym I really jacked my shoulder up pushing myself on bench press.

Of course - this all happens right before signing up for my very first 5k that I planned to push myself on early next month. I basically have to majorly dial everything back several notches. I tried pushing through it the last 3 weeks, but it hasn’t improved at all and in some ways has certainly got worse.

This week has been a measly 2 mile treadmill run Sunday with 10 mins on the elliptical. Monday was 10 mins elliptical and 25 mins stair stepper. Yesterday was a hard gym weightlifting session (where I jacked up my shoulder.)

I took today off. I plan to do some light cardio tomorrow morning. Might do a little treadmill/elliptical/stair stepper. It will just depend how my leg feels.

For my back, I’ve diligently been stretching 3x/day for about 15 minutes, and also adding in some planks to help my core.

I hate cutting back, especially more than I already have, but deep down I know that at this point pushing is only going to make it worse and dialing back more and more notches is going to be the best choice.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #247 on: April 13, 2019, 10:54:04 PM »
4:41am start today to run 31km! My goal was 34-36, but had to stop because it suddenly got very cold! I'm guessing it was a combination of wind chill and that my body no longer had enough energy to stay warm, so when I started shivering I figured the benefit from the extra 3-5km probably wasn't going to be worth it.

I was out on my feet for 3 hours 10 minutes, and aerobically I was fine, the legs were not so fine. I've recalibrated my marathon goal to 4:13 (4:30 is not a stretch, 4 hours is probably going to cause me to boink at about the 25km mark). 4:13 is a 6:00/km pace.

Scoffed down a Maccas breakfast afterwards, and an early lunch. I've never eaten so much so quickly before haha.

Sounds ridiculous, but I had a nap at 9am lol

Well I have most certainly gone downhill. My back which I threw out a month ago has continually got worse. Not only that, my right leg has start hurting from my knee to ankle (shins, calves, etc.). Yesterday at the gym I really jacked my shoulder up pushing myself on bench press.

Of course - this all happens right before signing up for my very first 5k that I planned to push myself on early next month. I basically have to majorly dial everything back several notches. I tried pushing through it the last 3 weeks, but it hasn’t improved at all and in some ways has certainly got worse.

This week has been a measly 2 mile treadmill run Sunday with 10 mins on the elliptical. Monday was 10 mins elliptical and 25 mins stair stepper. Yesterday was a hard gym weightlifting session (where I jacked up my shoulder.)

I took today off. I plan to do some light cardio tomorrow morning. Might do a little treadmill/elliptical/stair stepper. It will just depend how my leg feels.

For my back, I’ve diligently been stretching 3x/day for about 15 minutes, and also adding in some planks to help my core.

I hate cutting back, especially more than I already have, but deep down I know that at this point pushing is only going to make it worse and dialing back more and more notches is going to be the best choice.

Injuries basically come from trying to do too much too soon right? You've had really good progress so far, but I feel like chickens are coming home to roost based on what you are experiencing.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 10:56:17 PM by marty998 »

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #248 on: April 14, 2019, 06:23:59 AM »

Injuries basically come from trying to do too much too soon right? You've had really good progress so far, but I feel like chickens are coming home to roost based on what you are experiencing.

In regards to the running related portions I agree. Lifting wise I’m not doing anything I haven’t done the last 15 years. Granted, my squat is near its peak, but bench press is nowhere close.

Regarding the running, while I was careful to increase the mileage super slowly, I think I increased my pace too much in those miles too soon. My intensity of my runs was frankly too hard, too often.

BookValue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #249 on: April 15, 2019, 06:13:56 AM »
I'll hop on board. Been running a couple years but kept getting injured, ran a 5K but have had to pull out of 2 other races due to ITBS and shin splints. Actually thought I had a stress fracture and got an x-ray which thankfully was negative, just "significant tissue damage." fun.
Been doing some serious leg and hip exercises along with foam rolling and it seems to be helping. Worked back up to 4.5 miles at 10:30 easy pace, but trying to slowly build mileage and not get hurt again.
If i stay healthy maybe I'll try for a fall marathon.
Also, running has made me realize how much I hate winter. Snow sucks.

Upcoming races and 3 goals:
5k in march - goals: Finish / don't get hurt in training, 27:30, 25:00
half marathon in may - goals: Finish / don't get hurt in training, 2:00, 1:45

Update here;
Ran a 5k this weekend, actually won my age group which is a nice perk for a small race. Time was 25:08, so just missed my top goal. GPS registered the race as 3.22 miles, so if it was an actual 5k I would have gotten there. The course had a half mile 8% grade hill before mile 2 which was absolutely brutal. Had to walk up the last bit and regroup before the last mile.
Plantar Fascia are pretty sore now, so taking a few days off to try and let them heal up.

5 weeks out from a half marathon, and I've worked up to a 10 mile long run. Been taking every run slow to keep my HR down below 145 to try and improve my aerobic conditioning. I have noticed improvements in my pace, and the 5K was a PR by over 2 minutes so it seems to be working.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!