Author Topic: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread  (Read 67645 times)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Re: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread
« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2019, 04:40:06 AM »
I joined the Y and yesterday met up with a nice personal trainer who got me set up with a strength training plan.  It centers around squats, deadlift, and bench press, with ancillaries thrown in for shoulder, arms, back, and ab work.  One hour a day, three days a week. 

I'm excited to get going, but also very aware of how completely weak I am and how hard this is going to be.  Also [wah wah, cries like a baby :)] three hours a week sounds like so much time.   I have to get my head screwed on straight.  I think nothing of spending 8 or 10 hours a week running -- that's a treat.  Why do I think weight lifting is a chore?  I hope I can get to a place mentally where I look forward to lifting.  And feeling grateful that I have the time and ability to train.   

Will you weight lifters out there please give me some perspective/encouragement/face punches about this?  What's it like for you?  Do you look forward to your workouts?  Or do you just gut it out and then feel glad it's over?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #151 on: March 03, 2019, 08:56:56 AM »
Running background:
Discovered running in 2011 or so, after not running ever. Loved it, trained consistently, ran half marathons. Found out I had lupus, which was discovered because long runs were SO.DAMN.HARD. Freaked me out & made me really nervous to do long runs again.

In 2013, I eked out a poorly trained half marathon.

In 2018, I ran another incredibly poorly trained half marathon, because I'd convinced my sister & best friend to run it with me. I crossed the finish line for the first time with a tremendous amount of knee & ankle pain from under training.

I'm scheduled to run a half marathon in May. I'm following this super beginner half marathon training plan, & I'm on week one. https://files.verywellfit.com/Training+Plans/12+Week+Beginner+Half+Marathon+Training+Plan+.pdf
I'm also mixing in plenty of strength training & stretches, but need more focus on my hips. I'll check out the Myrtl plan linked above.

3 miler scheduled for today. I'm pretty slow (11:30 minute pace) & it's really hilly where we're at. My running pace in 2013 was under 10 minutes, so it's my goal to get back.

Goals for half in May:
-Minimal/no knee/ankle pain
-Ability to run the entire thing
-Faster than my October half
-Feeling good about running again

After this half, I really want to stay consistent. It took me months to get my knees in shape after the October 1/2, so I need to be much nicer to my body this time around.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: March 03, 2019, 10:33:28 AM »
I joined the Y and yesterday met up with a nice personal trainer who got me set up with a strength training plan.  It centers around squats, deadlift, and bench press, with ancillaries thrown in for shoulder, arms, back, and ab work.  One hour a day, three days a week. 

I'm excited to get going, but also very aware of how completely weak I am and how hard this is going to be.  Also [wah wah, cries like a baby :)] three hours a week sounds like so much time.   I have to get my head screwed on straight.  I think nothing of spending 8 or 10 hours a week running -- that's a treat.  Why do I think weight lifting is a chore?  I hope I can get to a place mentally where I look forward to lifting.  And feeling grateful that I have the time and ability to train.   

Will you weight lifters out there please give me some perspective/encouragement/face punches about this?  What's it like for you?  Do you look forward to your workouts?  Or do you just gut it out and then feel glad it's over?

I have been the total opposite of you my whole life. Very heavy into weightlifting and absolutely loving. Since last summer, I’ve started running regularly for the first time in my life and I’m starting to really enjoy it (I think lol). While I may not often “like” my runs, I love the feeling of accomplishment afterwards, I love making and breaking new short term goals, I love the energy, mindfulness, etc. that it seems to give me the rest of the time.

I believe that weightlifting has identical benefits, but different. I don’t think that running can accomplish all the benefits of weightlifting, and I don’t believe that weightlifting can accomplish all the benefits of running. I also feel like my weightlifting helps my running in terms of preventing injury. There’s also the aesthetic benefit of weightlifting. No matter who you are, there is a lot to be said about looking in the mirror and feeling better about yourself. Running has taken my physique to a whole level in a very different but equally as important way as weightlifting has.

I would suggest making a lot of short and long term goals with your weight lifting. The first 6-12 months you’ll see the biggest increases, and then they will taper some, but not in a bad way. I’ve been lifting for over half my life (I’m 30) and I’m at the point now where I expect very little, if any, strength increases and I’m perfectly fine with that. If I can continue to increase my running length and speed, while maintaining my muscle mass, I find that to be a win.

3 days a week sounds like a reasonable amount of time for a new weightlifter. I’ve averaged anywhere from 5 days a week, 60-90 minute sessions, and am now at 2 days/wk, for around 70-80 minute sessions. Once you build your base, you’ll learn so much about your body and training that you can be the most efficient. I’m stronger now at 2 days of perfect (for me) workouts, than I was 6-8 years ago going 5 days/wk, just because I’ve learned my body so much better.

Diet and recovery are huge. I’d say diet for weightlifting is far more critical than running. There are tons and tons of hardcore runners out there with great times that have terrible diets in reality. Most people won’t be so lucky when it comes to weight lifting, the right amount of protein, good carbs, etc., I find to be far more important.

If you have any specific questions at all - feel free to post them up!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #153 on: March 03, 2019, 11:44:54 AM »
Squats, Deads, and Bench are what you will see me focusing my efforts on the gym on, 90% of the time.

A routine like starting strength or Bill Starr/Mad Cow 5x5 are all awesome programs.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2019, 04:59:53 AM »

@Sanne that's a pretty serious amount of cycling every day!  I'm only ~ 6 miles from work, but the route is garbage....so I haven't tried biking yet.  Good luck with your build to a 5k!  That's the hardest leap to make.  After that it's easy.  :)

I think I failed to mention that I have an e-bike so that makes it more manageable for sure. :) Before that I only biked to work in the summer and even then I skipped all the bad days. I decided to buy a secondhand e-bike 3 years ago to try out that needed replacing but I did go on that bike all the time and found out I loved it. I can get a discount from work for a new bike so I decided to buy a new one. The weather in The Netherlands is not always that good so I love my e-bike for work, I can even go when it's raining, heavy wind etc. I have good gear like a rainsuit, overshoes for when it's really cold so I can go on my bike all the time.

We don't have a car so the other option would be public transport (bike - train - bus) and that would also be more expensive. My new bike is the price for 9 months public transport.

Thanks for the encouragement, I do need it! :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2019, 09:01:43 AM »
Thanks @use2betrix -- that's really helpful.  I had not thought at all about diet.  How would I need to eat differently if I'm lifting weights three times a week on top of running?  Just eat more?  Eat more protein?

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: March 04, 2019, 05:04:46 PM »
Thanks @use2betrix -- that's really helpful.  I had not thought at all about diet.  How would I need to eat differently if I'm lifting weights three times a week on top of running?  Just eat more?  Eat more protein?

For “many” more protein is often one item more important to weightlifting than running goals.

That being said... any idea what your diet is currently like now? Calories, grams of carbs/protein per day? Roughly?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2019, 05:25:56 AM »

For “many” more protein is often one item more important to weightlifting than running goals.

That being said... any idea what your diet is currently like now? Calories, grams of carbs/protein per day? Roughly?

No idea, sorry.  I think I eat well.  People tell me I eat a lot volume-wise for my size.  Vegetables, meat, whole grain, no sugar, no fast food.  But I've never counted anything.  I guess I'll just see how I feel and tinker with the diet as needed?   

My first weight workout ever was -- interesting -- yesterday morning.  I used very light weights just to get used to the motions.   It felt pretty easy but by the end of it I felt sick.  Like borderline throwing up sick.  It passed quickly and I've felt fine since then.  I don't think I 'overdid' it . . . So what was that?  Like some kind of weird biochemical reaction from muscles being asked to do something after years of inactivity? 

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2019, 02:23:22 PM »

No idea, sorry.  I think I eat well.  People tell me I eat a lot volume-wise for my size.  Vegetables, meat, whole grain, no sugar, no fast food.  But I've never counted anything.  I guess I'll just see how I feel and tinker with the diet as needed?   

My first weight workout ever was -- interesting -- yesterday morning.  I used very light weights just to get used to the motions.   It felt pretty easy but by the end of it I felt sick.  Like borderline throwing up sick.  It passed quickly and I've felt fine since then.  I don't think I 'overdid' it . . . So what was that?  Like some kind of weird biochemical reaction from muscles being asked to do something after years of inactivity?

Definitely try some trial and error with the diet. I recently actually reduced my protein and increased my carbs as I’m cutting back on lifting and increasing running, and I find it to be a welcomed change. That being said, I’m still having around 200+grams protein/day at around 180lbs body weight.

Very interesting about your workout! Not surprising at all and that will certainly pass. It is a little funny to read (no offense) because I certainly remember those days. Still have them rarely when making drastic changes to the program. A lot of it is a huge lactic acid requiring your body to use muscles they aren’t familiar with using to that extent. Keep the weight low, keep your form perfect, and build up from there. How have you been feeling after? Likely some type of soreness? Overtime, the soreness from workouts will subside considerably. If you’re not pretty dang sore for your first few months, I’d be concerned for a few reasons.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2019, 02:57:14 PM »

Definitely try some trial and error with the diet. I recently actually reduced my protein and increased my carbs as I’m cutting back on lifting and increasing running, and I find it to be a welcomed change. That being said, I’m still having around 200+grams protein/day at around 180lbs body weight.

Very interesting about your workout! Not surprising at all and that will certainly pass. It is a little funny to read (no offense) because I certainly remember those days. Still have them rarely when making drastic changes to the program. A lot of it is a huge lactic acid requiring your body to use muscles they aren’t familiar with using to that extent. Keep the weight low, keep your form perfect, and build up from there. How have you been feeling after? Likely some type of soreness? Overtime, the soreness from workouts will subside considerably. If you’re not pretty dang sore for your first few months, I’d be concerned for a few reasons.

I was reading today about the protein content of various foods, and I think on an average day I eat about 50 grams, for ~120 pounds of body weight.  I'll be keeping track of how I feel with the workouts and I can definitely eat more protein if need be.   

That nausea yesterday was so weird.  I've been sick to my stomach a few times from running (racing, doing intervals, whatever) but the lifting didn't feel very hard.  I didn't even break a sweat.  But such a strong reaction!  Yep -- I'm sore from it, in a good way.  So I guess I'm on the right track.  Thanks for the help and encouragement.  :)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2019, 04:03:06 PM »
Today's track workout started with the mile.  Which is probably my least favorite thing in the world.  I finished the mile in 10:18, which isn't bad.  When I did the same thing last year, at the beginning of the "season", it was 9:20.  So 10:18 not bad when I literally took a few months off because of injury.

I also took the plunge and signed up for the gym and weight training.  The running coach owns a kettlebell gym.  I'd been thinking about taking classes (but I already have 2 gym memberships...)  Fact of the matter is - I work much harder, am more motivated, and use better form in a class-type setting.  So, I did my first class yesterday.  Will take a bit to get the form down pat. 

I have to say that I'm super impressed with the other people in the class (many  of whom I know from track and racing, all of whom are way faster than me).   I used the 18-lb bell the full class (mostly focusing on form).  I could barely squeak out the overhead presses...and everyone else in the class had bells much much larger.  And 5/7 people were women.  And I can't imagine pressing 30-40 lbs with one arm. 

In any event, I think it's going to be a great way to round out my fitness while getting back into the running routine.

The next half is in May.  Haven't registered yet.  One of my fellow trainee peeps wants to do the relay, and she wants to do the first (easy) half.  First bit is 5.5 miles, some rolling hills.  Second part is 7.5 miles, has a MASSIVE big corkscrew hill right near the start then some rolling downhills, followed by a really horrible long, one mile up hill at mile 11.5.  It sucks, but prob be much more doable if I'm only doing 7.5 miles not 13.1.  Then again, do I REALLY need to pay $125-140 for this?  No discount for the relay.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #161 on: March 06, 2019, 03:27:28 AM »
Good for you @mm1970!  Your training and race plans are super impressive.  If you do the tough half of that relay you get BA bragging rights.  :)

I also see people at the gym -- small people, older women -- lifting way more than I can.  It's amazing, and gives me hope that I can get stronger too.   

daffodil2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: March 06, 2019, 06:50:02 AM »
I ran my first half marathon in 2018. I didn't have a goal set for that race other than to finish it, but I wasn't thrilled with my time--it was incredibly humid thanks to several storms before the race, including one the night before, and I slow down a ton in the heat/humidity.

For 2019, my goal is to run two half marathons--one in August (same race that I did in 2018; hoping to beat my time) and one in October when it should be cooler and less humid. I'm also planning to make cross-training a priority. I didn't take it seriously last year and developed runner's knee (not positive that it was caused by insufficient cross-training, but I suspect that's what it was).

I'm currently doing cardio/strength training at home and planning to do an advanced beginner's training program starting in April. The roads around here are still covered in ice and the closest gym is 25 minutes away, so I'm waiting to get back to running until the ice is gone. Should be able to keep up running year-round starting next winter, though--closing soon on a house that has a basement large enough for a treadmill. Hoping to score a free/cheap treadmill from Freecycle/Craigslist/garage sales.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: March 07, 2019, 12:29:52 PM »
The roads around here are still covered in ice and the closest gym is 25 minutes away, so I'm waiting to get back to running until the ice is gone. Should be able to keep up running year-round starting next winter, though--closing soon on a house that has a basement large enough for a treadmill. Hoping to score a free/cheap treadmill from Freecycle/Craigslist/garage sales.

Running on snow/ice isn't a problem. Just get shoes with spikes. I will under abseloutly no circumstance run indoors as long as outdoors exists;)

Mattrim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #164 on: March 09, 2019, 02:04:36 PM »
Anyone training for a marathon/has experience doing that here? I'm possibly running my first marathon in four weeks and I'm looking for tips :-)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: March 09, 2019, 02:19:04 PM »
This has been a rougher week for me. Last Saturday I had a great 6 mile run. I typically do my long runs Friday so I can rest Saturday for leg day at the gym Sunday. Anyways - my long run happened Saturday. I felt good at the gym Sunday, and pushed myself on my last set of squats going for 355x6. On my last rep, I completely threw out my back and couldn’t finish much of my workout. I was fine with some exercises, just as long as they in no way included bending over. Pain was an 8/10 Sunday.

It slowly has gotten better this week but is still really tight. I still mustered through a 4 mile run Tuesday, modified workout Wednesday, 5 mile run Thursday, then aiming for a 5-6 mile run this afternoon. To add to that, my wife and I moved our entire apartment an hour away this week (no movers, to a second story apartment no less) had “team building” concerts for work two nights this week, and lots of work as well..

Despite all that, very pleased I’ve been able to work through so far and keep this running going.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #166 on: March 09, 2019, 05:42:30 PM »
That really sucks @use2betrix.  Hope your back feels better soon.  Is it a pulled muscle?  Slipped SI joint?

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: March 09, 2019, 06:04:35 PM »
Anyone training for a marathon/has experience doing that here? I'm possibly running my first marathon in four weeks and I'm looking for tips :-)

Stay slow, very slow.  You will think you are feeling good at the halfway point and you can go faster, you are wrong.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: March 09, 2019, 06:33:21 PM »
That really sucks @use2betrix.  Hope your back feels better soon.  Is it a pulled muscle?  Slipped SI joint?

Thanks! I’m not entirely sure what it is, but it’s slowly getting better all week so while painful, I don’t think anything that won’t be 100% within the next couple weeks. Running seems to be fine now (did a smooth 5 miles tonight) but still stiff when I wake up. Tomorrow is leg day, and I won’t be doing anything that puts heavy pressure on the back (i.e. squats).

Over my many years of weight training, I’ve found that most workouts can really work around nagging injuries/pain, and some injuries impact exercises you’d never have expected. I’ve had several hernia surgeries, and after my umbilical, I oddly found that tricep push downs put more pressure on my mid section than tons and tons of other exercises.

Tomorrow, I should still be fine with medium weight front squats on the smith machine, lunches, leg curls, and seated calf raises. With this type of back pain, the biggest struggle would be squats, or anything that involves bending over (i.e. bent over rows on back day). Aside from that, I’ll be able to work around this for the next week or so.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #169 on: March 09, 2019, 08:52:35 PM »
The roads around here are still covered in ice and the closest gym is 25 minutes away, so I'm waiting to get back to running until the ice is gone. Should be able to keep up running year-round starting next winter, though--closing soon on a house that has a basement large enough for a treadmill. Hoping to score a free/cheap treadmill from Freecycle/Craigslist/garage sales.

Running on snow/ice isn't a problem. Just get shoes with spikes. I will under abseloutly no circumstance run indoors as long as outdoors exists;)

Screw shoes are the mustachian answer.  http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

daffodil2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #170 on: March 09, 2019, 09:21:39 PM »

Thanks for the recommendations! Just to clarify, my problem is with sharing icy roads with cars. I'm currently living in an area with narrow roads, no shoulders or sidewalks, and they don't get plowed down to bare pavement--the plows just take off the top layer of snow, but they leave behind a layer of packed snow that ices over. I've run through the winter while living elsewhere before and had no trouble running on pedestrian paths in parks or on roads that have a wide shoulder.

But, yeah, I have no need to ever own a treadmill. The house I'm buying is in a neighborhood within walking distance of two different parks, and the main cross-street has a mixed use sidewalk/bike path that's separate from the road. That's one of the top reasons we're buying this particular house. WTF was I thinking? I've been so focused on getting ready to move/planning for my garden at our new house that it literally didn't occur to me that I won't have this problem to deal with once I move.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2019, 06:13:47 AM »

Thanks for the recommendations! Just to clarify, my problem is with sharing icy roads with cars. I'm currently living in an area with narrow roads, no shoulders or sidewalks, and they don't get plowed down to bare pavement--the plows just take off the top layer of snow, but they leave behind a layer of packed snow that ices over. I've run through the winter while living elsewhere before and had no trouble running on pedestrian paths in parks or on roads that have a wide shoulder.

But, yeah, I have no need to ever own a treadmill. The house I'm buying is in a neighborhood within walking distance of two different parks, and the main cross-street has a mixed use sidewalk/bike path that's separate from the road. That's one of the top reasons we're buying this particular house. WTF was I thinking? I've been so focused on getting ready to move/planning for my garden at our new house that it literally didn't occur to me that I won't have this problem to deal with once I move.

It seems as if I’m one of the few, if any, regular treadmill runners here.

Are there any others out there? It rains here a ton, it’s hot, humid, sticky, and I guess I just don’t have a desire to run in the rain.. That being said, I do still aim for 1/3 to 1/2 of my runs to be outside, especially harder runs, longer runs, etc. My treadmill runs or either more during recovery after hard runs/gym sessions, poor weather, or to simply get more easy miles in.

Also - while I love the cold weather, it seems hard extended cardio below 50 degrees often gives me a cold for the next few days..

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2019, 04:08:06 PM »

Are there any others out there?

We have a treadmill and I use it regularly -- more so before I retired.  Much as I love running outside, I don't do it in the dark.  So on workdays in the winter I used the treadmill.  It's a Landice; going on 13 years old with many thousands of miles on it. (My DH and DD are runners too).  Going strong.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 06:26:51 PM by Trifele »

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2019, 06:04:17 PM »

Are there any others out there? It rains here a ton, it’s hot, humid, sticky, and I guess I just don’t have a desire to run in the rain.. That being said, I do still aim for 1/3 to 1/2 of my runs to be outside, especially harder runs, longer runs, etc. My treadmill runs or either more during recovery after hard runs/gym sessions, poor weather, or to simply get more easy miles in.

Also - while I love the cold weather, it seems hard extended cardio below 50 degrees often gives me a cold for the next few days..

I've never had much luck with treadmills not killing my kness; but it's been a long time since I've tried so between my improved stride and improved technology maybe it'd be better.

I did end up buying  a bike trainer last Thanksgiving though for my basement because I've been sick of the big drop off my cardio has taken the last few winters. the cold doesn't bother me as much as just the fact that it's basically always dark except weekends or when I'm at work. Running/biking once a weekend isn't really enough to maintain fitness!

Running doesn't bother me too much until right around 32, mountain biking I can go even lower if I don't push the uphills to hard before my breathing really bothers me or gives me that cold/throat/nose type issue. But I also do carpentry outside year round so am pretty adapted to the cold.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2019, 07:10:37 PM »

I used the dreadmill when I was running more seriously.  It's great for getting in timed intervals, or just logging miles when it's not possible/practical to run outside.  Now I'm running more for enjoyment; if I'm stuck inside, I'd rather just do kettlebells, rowing machine, or even the elliptical most of the time.  I use the elliptical with the arms, so I feel like I'm making better use of my gym time with those activities.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2019, 07:32:04 PM »
I love running in light rain or mist/fog. Did a 4.3 miler today in mist, at 45 degrees and it was lovely.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: March 10, 2019, 08:00:00 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback. As a newer runner, I’m still getting familiar with different running options and what works best for others.

Couple more questions:

1. Several comments about not wanting to run in the dark. Is that due to safety? Not being able to see? As it starts to get hotter I either have to lay on the sunscreen heavy, which I hate, or wear long sleeves, hat, etc. I’m white, freckle, and already had skin cancer in my 20’s. Tomorrow morning I plan to go for a 3-4 mile run at 5:30 a.m. We just moved last week so we’ll have to see how it works in this new location, but there’s a good sidewalk to a neighborhood nearby.

2. Adding to that, what does everyone do here for sun protection? A couple weeks ago I did an hour run during the hour up to sunset, seemed cloudy, upper 60’s, and I came home and was definitely sunburnt. I typically expect that in the 70’s on up. I’m going to start looking for some synthetic type SPF long sleeves and a hat with sun protection in the rear. Last year, as I was just starting to run, I always ran in mornings, night, or on the treadmill.. Planning on some run’s while the suns still somewhat out this year.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #177 on: March 10, 2019, 08:06:17 PM »
1) safety, both cars and seeing imperfections in the road/trails.
2) long sleeve + hat, sunscreen on quads/hams/calves/shins/hands/face/neck.

If you run at dawn/dusk you can get great runs in with lower temps. First light ---> sun actually getting hot is at least 2 hours in most parts of the country. Same with evening, but you will have higher temps.....generally.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #178 on: March 10, 2019, 08:07:45 PM »
Forgot to add, I don't put sunscreen above my eyeline on the front of my face. Learned the hard way with sweat laced with SPF 60 dripped in my eyes halfway through an 8 mile long run a few years ago.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2019, 08:20:19 PM »
I run about half of the early training runs (e.g. lower miles) on the treadmill. It's schedule dependent for me. My max that I'll run on a treadmill is about 7 miles. After that, I lose the will to live. We no longer have one at home, so I need to be at the gym.

As for today, I ran a 4 miler. I'm on the second week of my half training plan. I did a 2, a 2.5 & a 4. Next week really starts to build the mileage. Unfortunately, the weather has been super rainy here in the bay area & driving me crazy. It was a wet one today.

For sunblock, I use a lot on my face, & any other exposed body part. I prefer a lotion Neutrogena SPF 70 for my face, combined with a hat & sunglasses. For anywhere else, I use a spray sunblock. I also hate to run in the heat, so typically run in the morning before it's too hot.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2019, 08:53:18 PM »
I run about half of the early training runs (e.g. lower miles) on the treadmill. It's schedule dependent for me. My max that I'll run on a treadmill is about 7 miles. After that, I lose the will to live. We no longer have one at home, so I need to be at the gym.

Yes.  I once did 8 miles on a treadmill at a hotel in Oklahoma City b/c I was training for a 30k and there were thunderstorms that day.  Getting struck by lightning started sounding like an attractive option towards the end.  Ugh.

I will run in the dark as long as it's not icy.  I just wear a headlamp and usually another little clip flashing light to make sure I'm visible. My dog has a reflective vest too. I just stick to routes that have decent sidewalks and aren't too busy.  A few weeks ago I did step on a large rock I didn't see, but luckily it shot out sideways under my shoe; I could see it having caused a problem if I'd stepped more squarely on it and rolled my ankle.

I don't bother with sun screen if I'm out less than an hour.  Used to do spray sun screens for longer runs, but I see now that those are not so great for actual sun protection.  If you wear a billed hat, ears and back of neck are probably the most crucial to hit.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2019, 09:46:34 PM »
1. Several comments about not wanting to run in the dark. Is that due to safety? Not being able to see? As it starts to get hotter I either have to lay on the sunscreen heavy, which I hate, or wear long sleeves, hat, etc. I’m white, freckle, and already had skin cancer in my 20’s. Tomorrow morning I plan to go for a 3-4 mile run at 5:30 a.m. We just moved last week so we’ll have to see how it works in this new location, but there’s a good sidewalk to a neighborhood nearby.

2. Adding to that, what does everyone do here for sun protection? A couple weeks ago I did an hour run during the hour up to sunset, seemed cloudy, upper 60’s, and I came home and was definitely sunburnt. I typically expect that in the 70’s on up. I’m going to start looking for some synthetic type SPF long sleeves and a hat with sun protection in the rear. Last year, as I was just starting to run, I always ran in mornings, night, or on the treadmill.. Planning on some run’s while the suns still somewhat out this year.

Safety in respect of tripping/falling, I don't worry about my personal safety much where I live/run. but also probably just some laziness/winter blues.  I also prefer trail running though so it is nice to be able to see where I'm going though I guess I could try head lights or something. Honestly around Thanksgiving my mind just goes from running/biking to skiing/chilling and typically results in a good 5-10 pounds of weight gain and losing a lot of my fitness, which I've tried somewhat successfully to mitigate this winter.

I don't usually bother with any specific sun protection for running, though as I mentioned I run in the trails a lot so there is decent shade. I wear a daily facial moisturizer lotion that has SPF 15 though I doubt it lasts all day. Now if I'm on vacation running around the beach or sidewalks  with no shade and stuff I'll do sunscreen on my face/neck/arms.

daffodil2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #182 on: March 11, 2019, 05:56:41 AM »
I prefer running when it’s light out to reduce my chances of crossing paths with a skunk. I also feel safer running on roads after dawn, though I do have a headlamp that I use if I start a run before dawn. My favorite place to run is unpaved trails in a park, but it’s a bit of a drive for me to get there so I don’t go that often and never make it there before dawn because I’m not really a morning person. It has a ton of tree roots crossing the trail, so I imagine it would be harder to avoid tripping in the dark.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2019, 06:40:21 AM »

Couple more questions:

1. Several comments about not wanting to run in the dark. Is that due to safety? Not being able to see?

2. Adding to that, what does everyone do here for sun protection?

Both.  All my outdoor runs are on hiking trails.  Some people do run those at night with a headlamp, but I'm not one of them.  My night vision is poor which makes falling likely, plus I go alone and don't have a dog.  It doesn't feel safe on multiple fronts.

For sun protection I just use a hat.  You can get a visored hat with a built in cloth that hangs down over the back of your neck -- those are good.  I'm not super fair.  I think I would have to be in the sun for 2+ hours for it to burn my arms.  And that level of sun never happens in the woods, which is mostly shade.  I'm glad because I really hate sunscreen.     

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2019, 07:46:36 AM »
Thanks everyone for the input and all the options.

I did my 4 mile run this morning outside and in the new neighborhood. The ground was wet either from the humidity/dew or it may have rained last night. I ran from 5:23-6:02 a.m. The weather was 71 degrees with 92% humidity. Since I did 6 miles Saturday and legs yesterday, it was a slower, easier run.

The lighting around the neighborhood/route I took was intermittent, but on a slower, easier run, I think it will be adequate for morning runs. I don’t think I’d like to do my harder/tempo runs in the dark in the morning, but we’ll see. Fortunately I was able to stay on sidewalks 90% of the time.

From a safety aspect, I’m not overly concerned for myself being a large, muscular, in shape 30 year old male. I don’t know that I would feel comfortable with my 5’, 115lb wife running the same route alone. That being said, she did leave about 20 minutes before dawn to take the dog on a 2 mile walk. He’s a 2 year old, 80 lb German Shepherd, and a very big safety addition. I also make sure she brings her phone.

Mattrim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #185 on: March 11, 2019, 10:49:22 PM »

Stay slow, very slow.  You will think you are feeling good at the halfway point and you can go faster, you are wrong.

I've heard of the famous 30k "wall", but never experienced it yet. My longest run is 27k, there are still 15k left after this. I have hopes to do it in 3h 20min, but I have no idea if it's possible. I did a half marathon in 1h 30min last year, but the marathon is so much longer.

My plan is to do a 33k run two weeks before the marathon, then relax for two weeks to build up energy.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2019, 09:07:25 AM »

I've heard of the famous 30k "wall", but never experienced it yet. My longest run is 27k, there are still 15k left after this. I have hopes to do it in 3h 20min, but I have no idea if it's possible. I did a half marathon in 1h 30min last year, but the marathon is so much longer.

My plan is to do a 33k run two weeks before the marathon, then relax for two weeks to build up energy.

Is my math correct on this...

A 1:30 (90 minute) half marathon, would technically be about 13 miles at 7 minutes/mile, no?

I see that number thrown around occasionally, the 1:30 half, and that just seems insanely fast (although I’m a pretty inexperienced runner)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2019, 09:32:16 AM »

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20801372/race-times-predictor/

This predicts your marathon time at 3:36 based on a 1:30 HM time. 

Congrats on being crazy-fast though!

Mattrim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #188 on: March 12, 2019, 03:39:48 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement! I've been training with dedication for marathon since October mat year. My final goal is a marathon this autumn, but I think I'll do the other one in April to get the experience.

It's hard to motivate yourself to go out for exercise sometimes. Today I skipped my planned interval run due to 32F weather with rain and snow. I'll probably not have time to do another one this week.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2019, 04:28:26 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback. As a newer runner, I’m still getting familiar with different running options and what works best for others.

Couple more questions:

Safety, eyesight, tripping.  (I'm 48 and I can't see well in the dark).  I do run track on Tuesdays with a group, which is lit (there are dark sections).  I will be running on Thursdays in the dark too (starting next week), so I will just have to be careful or dig out a head lamp?  Plus, I'm a woman.  The flat areas to run are near the beach - lotta homeless people and they have attacked people.  In my neighborhood, too many curbs.

In the sun?  Sunscreen and a hat.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2019, 04:31:06 PM »

Is my math correct on this...

A 1:30 (90 minute) half marathon, would technically be about 13 miles at 7 minutes/mile, no?

I see that number thrown around occasionally, the 1:30 half, and that just seems insanely fast (although I’m a pretty inexperienced runner)
1:30 half is insanely fast to me.  My last few training groups, ONE person (a tall, 20-something male) beat that.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #191 on: March 12, 2019, 04:34:29 PM »
This week:
Last week I joined a new gym.  Like I needed a 3rd membership, ha!  But this gym is run by my running coach, and I love it.  Because I like weightlifting but absolutely won't do it on my own.

So...
- Friday, weight class including deadlifts! (My first ever.) And assisted pullups (very assisted, I suck at pullups).  And other things.
- Monday, kettlebell class, did my very first ever turkish get ups, and those are complicated, yo!

Running-wise
- Did 4 miles on Sat.  First time since the accident, my knee/hamstring didn't hurt AND I beat an 11:30 mile AND I had negative splits.  So, yay me!
- Today, track, my 400's were all around 10:00/mile pace or as low as 9:45/ mile, which is totally awesome for me right now.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: March 12, 2019, 05:09:58 PM »
@mm1970 - how do the logistics of running groups work? I’m not familiar with them at all or how they work. Are people divided into groups by skill level, run at their own pace? Etc?

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #193 on: March 13, 2019, 02:22:09 AM »
I do run track on Tuesdays with a group, which is lit (there are dark sections).  I will be running on Thursdays in the dark too (starting next week), so I will just have to be careful or dig out a head lamp? 

Over the last few years head lamps have gotten very, very good (as in powerful and lightweight) and quite cheap. I've never actually tried one for running as I have street lights where I run, but I use it a lot for cross country skiing in the winter (in the woods at night so dead dark there) and they give more than enough light. When x-country skiing the speed can reach 25-35 mph on decents so the need to see a fair bit ahead is far greater than when running at much lower speeds. For running I would try and get one as lightweight as possible as it might be tad annoying with the weight on the head otherwise. When cycling or x-coutry skiing the head is much more stationary in the vertical plane.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #194 on: March 13, 2019, 03:42:41 AM »
Set a new 10km PB a couple of weeks back that I forgot to update here. 48:54 and I reckon I could have gone a little quicker if I my GPS wasn't so far out (it said I ran 10.49, so my average pace updates were a fair bit out, making me think I was going 5% faster than I actually was!!!)

I do run track on Tuesdays with a group, which is lit (there are dark sections).  I will be running on Thursdays in the dark too (starting next week), so I will just have to be careful or dig out a head lamp? 

Over the last few years head lamps have gotten very, very good (as in powerful and lightweight) and quite cheap. I've never actually tried one for running as I have street lights where I run, but I use it a lot for cross country skiing in the winter (in the woods at night so dead dark there) and they give more than enough light. When x-country skiing the speed can reach 25-35 mph on decents so the need to see a fair bit ahead is far greater than when running at much lower speeds. For running I would try and get one as lightweight as possible as it might be tad annoying with the weight on the head otherwise. When cycling or x-coutry skiing the head is much more stationary in the vertical plane.

I probably needed a headlamp last Sunday. Started my long run at 4:45am when it was still proper dark! Finished at around 7 just as the sun was coming up. Little over 20km, but failed to complete the 30 I wanted to do (ankles were feeling a bit off).

@mm1970 - how do the logistics of running groups work? I’m not familiar with them at all or how they work. Are people divided into groups by skill level, run at their own pace? Etc?

There's literally hundreds of running groups where I am. Some are attached to Little Athletics Clubs, some are country wide (like Running Mums Australia), some are location based, some are named after particularly charismatic local runners. All the bigger ones will have a variety of skills and abilities.

If there's none near you, you could always start your own :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 03:44:26 AM by marty998 »

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2019, 05:18:18 AM »

3:36 is pretty pessimistic with a 1:30 half.  WTF, runner's world?  However....since it's your first marathon, it's always better to throw time goals out the window and run conservatively so you don't blow up.  You want to ENJOY yourself so that you immediately sign up for another one to chase some goals! :) 

I like the fivethirtyeight marathon predictor:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/marathon-calculator/

Congrats, @marty998!  Under 50 in a 10k is a sizeable achievement.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: March 13, 2019, 05:54:32 AM »
@marty998 That is a fantastic 10k time.

What are your typical training weeks like? How many days, miles, paces, etc?

I’m still slowly increasing my mileage. I probably “could” increase it faster, but I’m in no hurry and would rather be cautious and improve slower than increase too fast and have to sit out for weeks/months due to shin/knee issues which I sometimes feel myself hovering around.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #197 on: March 13, 2019, 11:20:38 AM »
Depends on the group.  In the last several years, I've used 3.  Two of them paid with coaches, one just a casual group.

The casual group is the most recent.  They meet Saturday mornings, at the same time and same place.  There are all levels of runners, run/walkers, and walkers.  So, after awhile you get to know who is your pace.  So you get to run with people or not, depending.

The older group I did for several years was a women's running group, with a coach, and we did a combo of trails and roads.  It was similar.  You kind of self-select into paces.  We are all doing this trail, go as far as you like and as fast as you like.  THAT coach has recently teamed up with another running coach and is doing a training for a local 10 miler.  But they run on Sundays, and I can't do Sundays.  (Or I choose not to, it's my one day to reconnect with my bestie, and she can't run.)

The one I've been using the last two years, another paid group - the programs are mostly "train for X race", though in-between race programs she runs a track workout every Tuesday, for a monthly fee. 

The track workouts are great, and they vary.  So, one week we might start with 400's at a 5k pace and move on to 800s at a 10k pace.  Obviously, the pace varies based on the person.  It's been super helpful in allowing me to progress at my own pace, so to speak.

For the race training, you don't really get divided up.   In addition to the track day, there's a second mid-week day.  That day is usually 45 minutes of running.  So, some days might be "tempo", some days might be hill repeats, etc.  Everyone runs at their own pace, you just go out for 22.5 minutes and then turn around.  The long runs are on Saturday, and that's similar.  It might be "9 miles or 90 minutes, whichever comes first".  So the 9 minute milers can get in 9 miles, and I can usually get in 8 - I just turn around at 45 minutes.

Of course, the hardest part for me in all these groups is that quite literally, nobody is my pace.  And not even close.  I was pretty speedy at the end of my last uphill half (I could pull a 10 min mile for a 10k).  But otherwise - there's a group of runners in the 2 hour half marathon and under pace.  There may be a few people just getting into running who are around a 13:00 mile (which was me a couple of years ago).  But my half pace is around 10:45-11:15.  It's not likely to get a whole lot better - I'm not likely ever to hit 9:00 miles, for example.  So I run with a "group" but it still gets kind of lonely when you are out there for 1.5 - 3 hours by yourself.

So for the casual running group, about half the time I can run with others, because there are a bunch of run/walkers.  I'm happy to slow down to their pace (I'm also a run/walker).  And there are some runners who are happy to slow down to my pace.  In a "we are training for a race" group, it's harder.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #198 on: March 13, 2019, 02:11:34 PM »
@marty998 That is a fantastic 10k time.

What are your typical training weeks like? How many days, miles, paces, etc?

I’m still slowly increasing my mileage. I probably “could” increase it faster, but I’m in no hurry and would rather be cautious and improve slower than increase too fast and have to sit out for weeks/months due to shin/knee issues which I sometimes feel myself hovering around.

Thankyou.

I try and run 5 days a week weather permitting. 3 weekday runs between 6-10km (more towards 8-10km these days). 1 x 5km run on Saturday morning (Parkrun), but my running club is starting up again on Saturday afternoon so there'll be an extra run there.

And a long run on Sunday morning every 2-3 weeks (20-25km, though I need to get up over 30k).

All the weekday runs are done at over 6:00/km pace (9:30/mile). Once every couple of weeks I'll go flat out for Parkrun on Saturday. The long run is done at my desired marathon race pace (5:41/km = 4 hour finish time).

Once a month I'll try an interval session, just for difference.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: March 13, 2019, 02:43:38 PM »

Once a month I'll try an interval session, just for difference.

Out of curiosity - why not more often? Its generally considered as kind of a must do it once or twice a week to increase VO2-max. Pretty much every training program I've seen with as much as 4-5 runs per week will include a couple of interval sessions or sth quite similar (i.e. run at a high intensity).

On side note, I read a study which found that during holidays, one interval session every 2 weeks was sufficient to maintain fitness. It was done on professional football (soccer) players so quite fit persons.