Author Topic: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread  (Read 67625 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2019, 01:29:45 PM »
Today was a major win, because I really did NOT want to get up and run. My oldest had a late rugby game last night, so I was tired and didn't want to get up, plus it was cold (for us). My youngest was up at 5:50 though so I sucked it up and did it. I'm trying to add in shorter/faster (for me) runs, so I did two miles today with 10:25 average pace. Usually I'm in the 11:30-12:30/mile range so that was progress!

Wow that's a big drop in pace, well done!

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2019, 10:22:10 AM »
Still clipping along and closing in on 50 miles per week.  I had an exhausting long run of 12 miles on Sunday that was stupidly done near marathon pace...sooo...too fast.  But otherwise running has been uneventful.  I'm forever (normal) tired and (normal) sore, but last week's hamstring "issue" is a distant memory.  We're travelling to the frozen tundra of Michigan this weekend, and I am NOT looking forward to running in single digit (Fahrenheit) temperatures.  I'm happy that this is half marathon training rather than marathon training, though!  The mileage is so much more do-able. 

Lots of great achievements going on in this sub!

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2019, 02:39:24 PM »
I'm so happy to find this thread! I've been a runner for a few years now. I'm pretty below average as a runner in general, but running makes me happy. Currently 15 states into my goal to run a half in every state. We have a couple states picked out later this year to target (It's a long term goal, we're basically doing 2-4 per year as they work into our schedules and travel plans). Last summer I ran myself into a raging case of ITBS. I had been flirting with it early in the year, but some strength work and stretching kept it under control until I ran a half marathon that was mostly downhill... yeah.... downhill is great until it's not. So after time off, more strength work, stretching, and (worse of all) swimming, I'm coming back pretty slow. My goal is to start pushing to get back to more normal pace and mileage in March, but for the last month and this one I've just been basically going out and running what ever feels good that day a few times a week. Good luck to all with your training and goals!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2019, 01:24:15 PM »
I did a 30km run for the first time yesterday! In a good clip too - 2:51:00!

Humidity makes a massive difference, yesterday was cool, with a slight breeze and virtually no humidity. Sometimes you get lucky and the Australian summer doesn't try to murder you.

Really starting to think this goal of a 4 hour marathon in June is getting within reach, but it's going to require a bit of luck and another ~400km of training over the next 3 months.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2019, 05:22:33 AM »
So I did my first 'run' after 4 years, starting with 1-1min and 2-2min running-walking for 20 min. That went really well considering I haven't done this in 4 years and the last time I did this first training for the 5k program it didn't go so well and I couldn't even finish it the first time (!). Biking to work and doing yoga does help ofcourse (wasn't doing that the first time). I thought my physical fitness was not good and it isn't but not as bad as the last time so that's saying something. I really need to improve though. Baby steps. :)

I wanted to do more and did 2 minutes instead of the last 1 minute so I would be home sooner and that wasn't the case the last time I started. But I'm continuing this path to avoid injuries etc.

Good to see so many different stages here btw! Good to know I'm not alone as a beginner but also inspiring to read the other stories from experienced runners!

On a different note, was not biking to work the last 3 weeks because I needed a new bike and the weather was awful (stormy/snowy) but no excuses from now on because I got the new bike and will go back to biking (total of 36km = 22.4 miles) instead of public transport tomorrow.

snoot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2019, 02:14:46 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm in too. I've been running off and on for most of my life. I love seeing the range of goals, experience, paces, mileage, etc. One of the best things about running is that we're all going through the same thing regardless of how fast or experienced you are. Everyone has good and bad days, struggles with motivation, and goes through injuries.

I'm trying to come back from a few years of poor training that were largely a result of increased job stress and some good changes in my life. I've signed up for a spring marathon and some summer trail races to hopefully keep me motivated.

Looking forward to following everyone's journey!

Civex

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2019, 08:30:52 PM »
Need a little motivation, so I'll post for accountability.

I've been running fairly consistently since 2013-ran 4 marathons, most recently a mid 3 hour in October. Was my slowest, but I was pretty happy with it since I did most of my training pushing my then 7 month old in a stroller. (Zero speed work)

In 2019 I'd like to get under 90 minutes again in the half which I haven't done since 2014 (got soo damn close running by effort in 2017-90:05) and complete a local 17 miler in the fall. No real goal time for that, just hopefully not a personal worst. The only issue is that between busy work schedules, winter, and being a new parent I've barely run at all this winter. My wife and I are both signed up for a June half; so I'll either use that as a training race if we run together, or try for sub 90 and now we *have* to start training.

Long term goals are qualify for Boston and run more marathons in my 30s than in my 20s. (failed/given up on my goal of 1 full/year) Starting to think a BQ is a pipe dream until we are out of the baby/toddler stage-so if you have BQ'd with little ones, I'd love to hear your story.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2019, 05:20:10 PM »
Today was a major win, because I really did NOT want to get up and run. My oldest had a late rugby game last night, so I was tired and didn't want to get up, plus it was cold (for us). My youngest was up at 5:50 though so I sucked it up and did it. I'm trying to add in shorter/faster (for me) runs, so I did two miles today with 10:25 average pace. Usually I'm in the 11:30-12:30/mile range so that was progress!
This is great!

I managed 4 miles this last Saturday, run/walk.  My average pace was a hair over 11:30, and that's the first time I've managed a sub-12:00 since my injury the end of October.  (My late October half marathon pace was 10:42 and my 10k was barely sub-10).

But everything hurts.

For sure, my hamstring is still a problem.  Despite warming up and doing stretching it's tight.  And it's tight for a long time.  Like...2.5 to 3 miles before it finally loosens up.
(Let's not even talk about how bad my cardiovascular system is right now...because mostly, it's the knee/ hamstring).

So today, track workout...finally the knee/ hamstring loosens up around mile 2.5 or 3...then the lower back gets sore.  Sigh.

Back to hip/ core class.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2019, 10:50:07 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement; you guys are the best. I did my 2 mile route today at 10:49 overall pace, but did a 10:15 mile in there somewhere. I think I need to get back to yoga and other cross training; running was easier when I was more consistent with my yoga and boot camp classes but I have been so busy at work lately that I haven't been able to get to any. I have made sure to get out and run minimum 2 miles at least 3 times a week regardless of weather or work though. I don't want to have to start over from scratch again!

I just started taking our 8 month old puppy "running" with me last weekend (not far, and not fast). It was fun to mix it up a little, and I look forward to ramping up with her slowly. Also, my sister-in-law signed up for the Born To Run 30 mile race in May. I don't think I can do 30 by then, especially since the Rock and Roll half is two weeks later, but I'm considering the 10 mile race. The price doesn't go up until the end of the month so I have some time to think about it. Has anybody here been to Born To Run before?

Sorry about how it's going with you, @mm1970 . Coming back after an injury sucks so bad! I hope it improves for you soon. My cardiovascular system is still feeling the impact of taking time off last fall when I rolled my ankle. It's ridiculous how quickly it goes.

Good luck with your BQ efforts, @Civex! My friend missed it by 4 minutes last year. I can't even fathom being fast enough. I don't have a story to share about BQ with little kids, but I'll be happy to cheer you on in your efforts!

@snoot Welcome and good luck with your races this year!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2019, 01:15:53 PM »
A really big training win on Sunday - completed 30km for the first time and probably could have kept going!

Final time was 2:51. I'd passed the 21.1 half marathon point at 2:01, only 4 minutes outside my best time, which means the next time I have a serious crack at it I should be able to lower that time substantially.

The pleasing thing was that afterwards there was no soreness, exhaustion or body complaints. I think doing the midweek runs at a much slower pace is really helping.

In the beginning I could never see the sense of resting or taking those base-building runs easy - how do I learn to run fast by not running fast???? But it truly works...

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2019, 06:27:51 AM »
@Civex how close have you gotten to your BQ time with your previous marathons?  If you're within a few minutes, it seems feasible that you'd get there in a couple training cycles at the most.  I BQed for the first time in grad school when I was working 80 hours/6 days a week.  All I did was work and run.  It took a ridiculous amount of discipline and planning.  I'd get up at 3 AM to get into lab to set up my experiments.  I'd then run before I had to be back to relinquish the instrument at 8 AM.  Unless you've been training in a sport basically your whole life, you really do have to put in the mileage to get the BQ, averaging at least 50 mpw and peaking at 60-70.  It's a lot of time.  I know a handful of people who have BQed/qualified for Kona with young kids, but their spouses were very accommodating.  It's definitely something you have to work out with your SO before you set out to train.

@marty998 when's your next race?  are you going to do a half marathon before the full in June?

@Sanne that's a pretty serious amount of cycling every day!  I'm only ~ 6 miles from work, but the route is garbage....so I haven't tried biking yet.  Good luck with your build to a 5k!  That's the hardest leap to make.  After that it's easy.  :)

@mm1970 and anyone struggling with knee/hip/etc. injuries: have you heard of the Myrtl routine?  It's great for maintaining strength and stability of the pelvic girdle and can be done at home if you can't get to core class:
http://www.digitalrunning.com/1035/myrtl-routine/

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2019, 01:22:34 PM »
two months out from Boston.  not feeling ready.  hate going into races saying "i'm just going to enjoy this race".  i know that's a lie if i am not well prepared.

anyone else here running Boston?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2019, 01:29:31 PM »

@marty998 when's your next race?  are you going to do a half marathon before the full in June?

No half planned before June - I have a couple to do afterwards in July and August. Before then I have a 10k in two weeks, a 12k in six weeks, and another 10k in early May.

As you can see, I have become somewhat obsessed. I take solace in the fact there are worse things in life one can be addicted to :D

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2019, 01:44:33 PM »
@Civex how close have you gotten to your BQ time with your previous marathons?  If you're within a few minutes, it seems feasible that you'd get there in a couple training cycles at the most.  I BQed for the first time in grad school when I was working 80 hours/6 days a week.  All I did was work and run.  It took a ridiculous amount of discipline and planning.  I'd get up at 3 AM to get into lab to set up my experiments.  I'd then run before I had to be back to relinquish the instrument at 8 AM.  Unless you've been training in a sport basically your whole life, you really do have to put in the mileage to get the BQ, averaging at least 50 mpw and peaking at 60-70.  It's a lot of time.  I know a handful of people who have BQed/qualified for Kona with young kids, but their spouses were very accommodating.  It's definitely something you have to work out with your SO before you set out to train.

@Sanne that's a pretty serious amount of cycling every day!  I'm only ~ 6 miles from work, but the route is garbage....so I haven't tried biking yet.  Good luck with your build to a 5k!  That's the hardest leap to make.  After that it's easy.  :)

@mm1970 and anyone struggling with knee/hip/etc. injuries: have you heard of the Myrtl routine?  It's great for maintaining strength and stability of the pelvic girdle and can be done at home if you can't get to core class:
http://www.digitalrunning.com/1035/myrtl-routine/
These are good.  Similar to the exercises we do in hip/core...

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2019, 03:08:16 PM »
Need a little motivation, so I'll post for accountability.

I've been running fairly consistently since 2013-ran 4 marathons, most recently a mid 3 hour in October. Was my slowest, but I was pretty happy with it since I did most of my training pushing my then 7 month old in a stroller. (Zero speed work)

In 2019 I'd like to get under 90 minutes again in the half which I haven't done since 2014 (got soo damn close running by effort in 2017-90:05) and complete a local 17 miler in the fall. No real goal time for that, just hopefully not a personal worst. The only issue is that between busy work schedules, winter, and being a new parent I've barely run at all this winter. My wife and I are both signed up for a June half; so I'll either use that as a training race if we run together, or try for sub 90 and now we *have* to start training.

Long term goals are qualify for Boston and run more marathons in my 30s than in my 20s. (failed/given up on my goal of 1 full/year) Starting to think a BQ is a pipe dream until we are out of the baby/toddler stage-so if you have BQ'd with little ones, I'd love to hear your story.

I did, but we only have one little one.  most of my runs are early am and he was < 1 yr old at the time.  i managed a sub-2:50 in what was basically my first real marathon, at age 39.

i am training for boston now and it seems so much harder now that he's 1.5 yrs old, more active, wants to play, etc.

if you want to know about my training, PM me.  basically run a lot, one day a week i don't run but do "something" like bike or yoga...

SteadyDoinIt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2019, 12:59:04 PM »
Put in 31 miles in January. Experienced some front of hip soreness early in February, so I took a week off. It's somewhat of an ongoing issue, and oddly enough, I believe it came from holding a stretch a little longer than normal. Anyway, after a few days, it's good to go, and I'm back on track.

Eight week plan looks like:
Mon - rest
Tues - legs/core or yoga
Wed - medium run, the middle 50-75% being at goal pace
Thurs - small to medium run at easy pace
Fri - chest/back/bi or yoga
Sat - short run at easy pace
Sun - long run with negative mile splits

Mileage for this week will be 14.25, and long run this weekend will be 5.25 miles. The plan is to increase weekly mileage ~10% over the next 6 weeks before a 2 week taper and race day.

Goal for the day @13.1m is finish/2:20/2:10. Strong feeling I'll fall between 2:20 and 2:10 with a prayer that the energy of the day carries me closer to 2:10.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2019, 07:48:47 PM »
Ran my first outdoor run over 5 miles tonight. Did 7 miles in 1:05, after doing 5 miles on the treadmill yesterday morning. Went well but my knee was hurting towards 6/7, but felt great otherwise. Think it was just from the longer mileage and maybe not enough stretching.

Only bad part is when I got back, a company hit a water line so I’ve been sitting here unshowere for 2 hrs... :/

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2019, 04:47:17 PM »
Nice job on the longer mileage use2betrix! The first time I ran 7 miles seemed to be the tipping point where I felt like I could do the longer runs. No idea why, that still doesn't make sense, but 7 miles was my "I now feel like can do a half marathon" distance.

I'll second the Myrtl routine mentioned earlier thread for knee pain. I'd also add that regularly including Hip Hikes have always helped me with knee pain. Because my knee pain tends to steam from weaken gluten.

I met a group for a run yesterday and ran the last three miles with a friend. I wasn't paying attention to pace, and ended up running about 30-45 seconds faster per mile than I have been running in my slow come back. It felt good and I feel fine today. That's really reassuring for starting up some type of actual training next month to get back to my normal pace. Had nice swim today. I'm not a huge swim fan, but all my best running has coincided with regular swimming over the years, so to the pool I continue to go.

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2019, 10:40:13 AM »
I pushed a jogging stroller for a 16 mile run yesterday.

Never again...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2019, 01:05:42 PM »

Never again...
I've been passed by your kind on half marathons...

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2019, 01:10:38 PM »

Never again...
I've been passed by your kind on half marathons...

Bloke at my local 5k run pushes a pram in 20 minutes....

Also I still can't fathom how olympic walkers are so fast...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2019, 01:16:17 PM »
I've been on the struggle bus this winter.  I live in a beautiful place (So Cal), but with relentless rain, then cold weather (30's and low 40s in the morning), and recovering from injury...and 2 colds.  Blech.

I'm generally trying to run 2x a week.  Tuesday track (paid coached workouts), Saturday "long" (currently 4 miles for me).  Half marathon training starts in 4 weeks.

My last couple of intervals at track yesterday were sub 10:30, so that's good.  Until husband asked "what were they before your accident?"  Ugh, don't remind me.  9:30?

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2019, 01:46:30 PM »
Rain alllll week. So frustrating. It’s clear today but it’s gym day and I ran the last two days (treadmill) and legs Sunday so my lower body needs a break.

Next two days will unfortunately have to be treadmill days as well, then work travel next week (treadmills at hotel at least) but blah.

Our new aperment complex were moving to next month only looks to have 1 treadmill. Hope there aren’t other people who use it regularly at 5:30 am.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2019, 05:11:08 AM »
As much as I hate having to slow way down in the heat and humidity of summer, I am tired of winter.  While we were in Michigan I did two runs: the first was at 12 degrees (Fahrenheit) with a windchill of zero.  While I was technically warm enough, I forgot to bring a buff, so I got some wicked windburn on my face.  The next day was more comfortable at 18 degrees, but sheesh.  I have managed to wipe from my memory the "joy" that is running on concrete at those temperatures.  It's brutally tough on the joints.  It was in the low 20s for our long run last weekend, but that felt almost balmy with the sunshine.  Thankfully the days are getting noticeably longer!

I am having a total sh!t week of running.  It happens sometimes.  I'm about halfway through a 16 week training program, so it's definitely the meat of it.  I find myself getting frustrated that I'm putting in all of this hard work to (potentially) drop my half PR a couple of minutes.  My very naturally athletic husband has been putting in hard work, too (though not 50 mpw work, more like 25); he'll probably run under 1:30.  I WISH I could get in range of that in one training cycle.  Just gotta keep showing up. 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2019, 04:24:18 PM »
I've decided that Pizza is the ultimate running food.

Everytime I eat a pizza the night before a Parkrun, I seem to always run a best time :D

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2019, 06:04:04 PM »
Did a 1 mile warm up tonight, followed by three, 1 mile repeats (average 7:12 pace), ending with a 1 mile cool down. I am beat. I was pretty content by the times, but I was still a bit sore/tight from yesterday’s 5 mile run. It was pretty wet/slick out which also didn’t help much.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2019, 01:41:43 AM »

Everytime I eat a pizza the night before a Parkrun, I seem to always run a best time :D

:)

And salt-n-vinegar potato chips.  Best post-run food.  Ever. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2019, 11:38:05 AM »
I finally got out and did a 3-mile run yesterday in a snow flurry and it was... not terrible!  Didn't time myself, but my pace felt reasonable for someone who hasn't been running consistently at all.  Took two short breathers. Really wasn't tired and felt like I could have kept going a couple more miles.  No major complaints from my joints, though my ankle was a little grouchy this morning.

This week I'm traveling to NM with a coworker who is a distance runner, so I'll try to coordinate with her to hit the road at least one night.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2019, 11:41:26 AM »
Hit a 1 mile PR today, 7:06.......@ 210 lbs, I'll take it for now =D

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2019, 12:01:57 PM »
Hit a 1 mile PR today, 7:06.......@ 210 lbs, I'll take it for now =D

Nice job man!! That is a great time for a distance runner IMO.

I ran a sub 6:00 mile in high school but my adult record is about 7:30 at around 210 lbs.....225 right now though, need to work on that :D

Just trying to get going my runs lately have been in the 10 minute plus range. February has been a bit of a bust between Weather and travel. Hoping to crank it up in March.

SteadyDoinIt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2019, 09:21:58 AM »
As much as I hate having to slow way down in the heat and humidity of summer, I am tired of winter.  While we were in Michigan I did two runs: the first was at 12 degrees (Fahrenheit) with a windchill of zero.  While I was technically warm enough, I forgot to bring a buff, so I got some wicked windburn on my face.  The next day was more comfortable at 18 degrees, but sheesh.  I have managed to wipe from my memory the "joy" that is running on concrete at those temperatures.  It's brutally tough on the joints.  It was in the low 20s for our long run last weekend, but that felt almost balmy with the sunshine.  Thankfully the days are getting noticeably longer!

I am having a total sh!t week of running.  It happens sometimes.  I'm about halfway through a 16 week training program, so it's definitely the meat of it.  I find myself getting frustrated that I'm putting in all of this hard work to (potentially) drop my half PR a couple of minutes.  My very naturally athletic husband has been putting in hard work, too (though not 50 mpw work, more like 25); he'll probably run under 1:30.  I WISH I could get in range of that in one training cycle.  Just gotta keep showing up.

The statement of this thread so far. So much of running is not always attaching a result to your work. The importance of that mindset can't be understated.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2019, 05:57:37 AM »
Does everyone here typically run thinking about their next race, or training for a race?

As mentioned previously, I just started running for the first time last June. About 4 or 5 years ago I walked a 5K with some family, but that’s the only organized running event I’ve done since middle school.

For whatever reason, I just don’t have a major desire to do many races. My goal is a 20 minute 5K, but until I’m relatively close to that, I don’t have much interest. I think when I get down closer I’ll have to run a couple organized events just to get familiar with the set up, actual prep that week/morning, etc.

I guess the good thing is that I’m just “enjoying” running without needing to have the specific events to keep me motivated or interested. Part of it too is how busy I am with work, weight lifting, etc. Right now I’m working 6 days/wk, 55-60 hrs. Tack on 15-20 miles of running and two, 60-90 minute weight lifting sessions, I don’t have a lot of extra time. Most events are on Saturday’s as well, which I typically work, and the opportunity cost of taking a day off work for a race makes that race very expensive. My Saturdays at work are typically “optional” but since I’m paid on a day rate, I typically find it worthwhile to go in.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2019, 06:14:22 AM »
Does everyone here typically run thinking about their next race, or training for a race?

I don't.  I haven't run a race in about four years.  I was just thinking the other day I might look for a fun local one, but I don't need that mentally.  I just enjoy the running.

It's too bad in a way that I "missed" those last few years because I would have been at the "old end" of an age bracket and I might have actually won something, haha.  Now I'm at the young end of an age bracket and I can kiss that thought goodbye for a good long while.  :) 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2019, 06:47:13 AM »

I don't.  I haven't run a race in about four years.  I was just thinking the other day I might look for a fun local one, but I don't need that mentally.  I just enjoy the running.

It's too bad in a way that I "missed" those last few years because I would have been at the "old end" of an age bracket and I might have actually won something, haha.  Now I'm at the young end of an age bracket and I can kiss that thought goodbye for a good long while.  :)

?? Wouldn’t it be advantageous to be on the young end of your bracket?

I haven’t raced since I turned 40, but a lot of women in the 40-50 are in crazy good shape, so I don’t think it would have improved my placings.

Trix, I find a race motivating to hit a particular goal.  Right now I just want to keep weight off and be aerobically fit enough to get through a 45 minute dressage lesson, so I don’t really push for certain times, and don’t have any plans to enter races.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2019, 06:50:47 AM »
I race quite a bit (when I haven't done in my calf): being in a running club means plenty of club races as well as external ones, and I like to race duathlons in the summer as I'm a better cyclist than I am a runner. I'm unremarkable in my age category, but have three years to improve before I enter an older grade, so I might have a chance to compete at the pointy end by then!

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2019, 08:44:20 AM »

To each his own!  I had one of the worst days of my life post-half marathon that was preceded by pizza the night before.  Granted, it was kind of awful pizza, but it DESTROYED both me and DH.  Between the two of us, I think we killed a bottle of Peptol Bismol.  Therefore, I never trust pizza before a race unless it's something short like a 5K.  I save the pizza for AFTER the race.  :-P

Now candy corn, that's another story.  I LOVE fall running, because I can eat candy corn beforehand.  Some of my best runs have been fueled by it. 

As far as racing goes, I almost never do it unless I'm planning to shoot for a PR or goal time.  I just can't be bothered, and it's getting really expensive.  I tend to get REALLY NERVOUS before races, too, which makes them rather unpleasant.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2019, 01:22:22 PM »

?? Wouldn’t it be advantageous to be on the young end of your bracket?

I haven’t raced since I turned 40, but a lot of women in the 40-50 are in crazy good shape, so I don’t think it would have improved my placings.

Doh!  Yes you're right I had that backwards. All other things being equal being younger is better for that.  Woo hoo!  I'd better get out there now!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2019, 01:51:08 PM »

As mentioned previously, I just started running for the first time last June. About 4 or 5 years ago I walked a 5K with some family, but that’s the only organized running event I’ve done since middle school.

For whatever reason, I just don’t have a major desire to do many races. My goal is a 20 minute 5K, but until I’m relatively close to that, I don’t have much interest. I think when I get down closer I’ll have to run a couple organized events just to get familiar with the set up, actual prep that week/morning, etc.

I guess the good thing is that I’m just “enjoying” running without needing to have the specific events to keep me motivated or interested. Part of it too is how busy I am with work, weight lifting, etc. Right now I’m working 6 days/wk, 55-60 hrs. Tack on 15-20 miles of running and two, 60-90 minute weight lifting sessions, I don’t have a lot of extra time. Most events are on Saturday’s as well, which I typically work, and the opportunity cost of taking a day off work for a race makes that race very expensive. My Saturdays at work are typically “optional” but since I’m paid on a day rate, I typically find it worthwhile to go in.
Not me, really.

Last year I just winged it and kept showing up.  I really didn't have a lot of goals.  I was on fire last year.  I did 3 half marathons (and the associated paid training programs).  I took my 1/2 time from 2:52 to 2:28 to 2:20.  Then my uphill half from 4:02 (it was fucking 95 degrees that year) to 3:23 (way better weather).  I even broke 10:00 for a 10k.  All before deciding to have "fun" on a trail run, sigh.

So now, I'm coming back from injury and ... I don't have any race goals.  I've signed up for a half marathon training program for a half in May.  I did the same program and race last May.  I have not, however, signed up for the race.   

Mostly, signing up and paying for the running programs GETS ME TO SHOW UP.   Even if I don't race.  (Which: I probably will?  But the half is something like $120-145, so ... it's pretty and all.  I've done it 3x.  But...do I need to pay $140?  I can just train for it, show up on race day and cheer everyone else on.   Anything over 9-10 miles kinda hurts anyway.  Our final long run is on the actual course and is 11 miles so...perfect!)  The October race I did is $80-90, so much more doable.  Uphill half is also $90 (almost no support on that one though.  You do it for the glory!)

I kinda have a goal of a sub-27:00 5k.  That's just a nebulous goal right now because of the state of my running.  I am registered for a 10k in Sept.  I will probably do the uphill half again in September (before the 10k).  Because: it's kind of an insane race and it's turning into my thing.

Just gotta keep showing up.

Yep, this was the statement of the day this morning at track practice.  "Just show up!"  Some days are good, some days aren't.  I follow Kelly Roberts on Instagram, and she had a post this week about showing up and how it took her years to break a 2:00 half.  It was very inspiring.

Anyway, racing, times, etc - I'm pretty much racing myself.  I'm 48 and women in their 40s are crazy fit.  At least the ones who run races.  Seriously I'm lucky to make it to dead even 50th percentile.

The other thing about races...I tend towards half marathons because of the training programs.  But they are kind of a pain in the ass.  First, they are long (2+ hours for me).  So it's like this precision instrument with nutrition, hydration, carb-loading.  What to eat before and during.  When to go to the bathroom.  How to time your morning coffee so you don't have to go to the bathroom.  Learning to eat carbs for lunch the 2 days before a long run.  How to get to the race start on point-to-point races.  The nickel and diming (the pretty race mentioned above is 40 miles from where I live, but in the same county.  They charge $15 if you want to pick up your BIB here in SB instead of in SYV.  But they drive all the damned BIBs down anyway.)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2019, 03:34:30 PM »

Not me, really.

Last year I just winged it and kept showing up.  I really didn't have a lot of goals.  I was on fire last year.  I did 3 half marathons (and the associated paid training programs).  I took my 1/2 time from 2:52 to 2:28 to 2:20.  Then my uphill half from 4:02 (it was fucking 95 degrees that year) to 3:23 (way better weather).  I even broke 10:00 for a 10k.  All before deciding to have "fun" on a trail run, sigh.

So now, I'm coming back from injury and ... I don't have any race goals.  I've signed up for a half marathon training program for a half in May.  I did the same program and race last May.  I have not, however, signed up for the race.   

Mostly, signing up and paying for the running programs GETS ME TO SHOW UP.   Even if I don't race.  (Which: I probably will?  But the half is something like $120-145, so ... it's pretty and all.  I've done it 3x.  But...do I need to pay $140?  I can just train for it, show up on race day and cheer everyone else on.   Anything over 9-10 miles kinda hurts anyway.  Our final long run is on the actual course and is 11 miles so...perfect!)  The October race I did is $80-90, so much more doable.  Uphill half is also $90 (almost no support on that one though.  You do it for the glory!)

I kinda have a goal of a sub-27:00 5k.  That's just a nebulous goal right now because of the state of my running.  I am registered for a 10k in Sept.  I will probably do the uphill half again in September (before the 10k).  Because: it's kind of an insane race and it's turning into my thing.

Just gotta keep showing up.

Yep, this was the statement of the day this morning at track practice.  "Just show up!"  Some days are good, some days aren't.  I follow Kelly Roberts on Instagram, and she had a post this week about showing up and how it took her years to break a 2:00 half.  It was very inspiring.

Anyway, racing, times, etc - I'm pretty much racing myself.  I'm 48 and women in their 40s are crazy fit.  At least the ones who run races.  Seriously I'm lucky to make it to dead even 50th percentile.

The other thing about races...I tend towards half marathons because of the training programs.  But they are kind of a pain in the ass.  First, they are long (2+ hours for me).  So it's like this precision instrument with nutrition, hydration, carb-loading.  What to eat before and during.  When to go to the bathroom.  How to time your morning coffee so you don't have to go to the bathroom.  Learning to eat carbs for lunch the 2 days before a long run.  How to get to the race start on point-to-point races.  The nickel and diming (the pretty race mentioned above is 40 miles from where I live, but in the same county.  They charge $15 if you want to pick up your BIB here in SB instead of in SYV.  But they drive all the damned BIBs down anyway.)

Wow, that is the “involved” I am speaking of. That just seems like so much “work” to run a race. I’m sure I’ll eventually do some once I really have my running dialed in, but we’ll see. I can absolutely see how once people start doing them it’s probably easy to get hooked with the whole environment with the people around, etc. Maybe it’s a good thing I haven’t got that itch yet and I should try and hold off while I can..

I hear what you mean about crazy women (or men for that matter) in their 40’s about running. What I really am enjoying as I learn more about running, is that there really isn’t a huge gap between people in their 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, and often even 50’s, except maybe at a very few elite levels. Aside from that, serious runners in their 50’s seems just crush many average runners in their 20’s and 30’s.. It’s nice seeing that so much potential is still there for decades.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2019, 04:22:58 PM »

While I do enjoy running, it does seem like I'm usually training or keeping my base up for a training program for a half. We have that "half in every state" goal. And while we aren't hitting it hard like some folks (I heard of people racing multiples per month to hit that goal within a couple of years), I would like accomplish it before I'm 50... which means 2-3 per year. So... usually training or keeping my base up for a training program. We also end up doing a handful of local 5K's each year with friends. Luckily my area is full of cheap ($10-15 early registration) 5K's which makes me feel better about spending the money! The half's we try to time with already scheduled travel (Ran a half the morning my partner was in a wedding for example, partner tagged along on my work trip once and we ran a half).

In general though, I do just like running. I don't have a half scheduled, still running regularly.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2019, 05:20:47 PM »
Runner here. Run to and from work year-round with a fair bit of biking for a change when it's not winter, which in Norway means snow and ice. Save money on public transport (car clowning obv not an option) and get lots of exercice without really spending any time on it. Public transport commute is 30 minutes home to work while running is 30-40 mins depending on how fast I run.

Never done any race, but did a 1/2 marathon on a training run last year in 1:53 without really trying. Was going for a 10km-ish run and then figured out if I just repeat the lap I've done a half marathon, so did it just for the heck of it.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2019, 07:26:25 AM »
Last day of February!  I should finish up with 192 miles for the short month.  I totally slacked on the strength work and need to get back into it for March.  There's a local half marathon on the 23rd that I am thinking about doing as a tune-up for my goal race on April 28th, but I may enter the 5k instead.  I'd like to believe I could PR the 5k with all the intervals I've been doing, but I seem to have very poor mental fortitude for the suffering required.  :-P

It's true that I often get absolutely slaughtered by the women and men in their 40s/50s, but I find myself trailing the 12 year-old girls, too.  I wish I had run more regularly as a kid instead of failing the mile test every year in gym class!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2019, 05:00:57 AM »
It's true that I often get absolutely slaughtered by the women and men in their 40s/50s, but I find myself trailing the 12 year-old girls, too. 

Once when I was in my 20s I was running a 10k hard -- trying for a personal best -- and I was passed by (1) a woman in her 40s running with two miniature dachshunds, and (2) a guy singing and playing a guitar.  :)

February is over, and it was a great month.  But I forgot to keep track of my running time haha.  I think it must have been more than 20 hours.  Maybe 25. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2019, 07:05:56 AM »
Well, my triathlete coworker kept me motivated, so I got a short run on Tuesday and we hiked up a steep rocky trail last night.  She gets up at 4am and does 2 a days.  Wow.

Thinking I'll try a 5 mile run this weekend.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2019, 07:50:55 AM »
Only manged two runs in January so gotta get cracking!!!

Damn, only got a whopping 3 runs in February. Did also get 3 outdoor bike rides and 2 indoor trainer rides in so 8 total cardio but still pretty light. Also got in 4 strength training workouts for a total of 12 workouts. 10 days of travel out of 28 threw me off a good bit though.

March Goal - 24 total workouts

8 runs
4 outdoor bike rides
4 indoor bike ride
8 strength training workouts

Will be tough to double my amount but zero travel this month and hopefully improving Weather will help.

I typically have a hard time getting motivated to run if I'm not training for a race. I might run once or twice a month if the Weather is nice and I don't have time for a bike ride. But If I want to run twice a week or more I usually need a race for some motivation and consistency.

My big Goal race this year is the Vegas Half Marathon in November and I hope to break 2 hours and set a PR. In the past when I've done Fall/Early winter races I usually get serious around Sept. This year I'm going to try and do a Race in May with a goal of 2:20, Around Labor day with a goal of 2:10 and then the main one to try to break 2. Hopefully this will shave those last few minutes; as I've come soooo close my last two attempts.

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2019, 12:04:11 AM »
My recent approach of running little and often seems to be working for me.

I run Tues, Weds, Thu (at 5:15am, before work) and Sat and Sun. this is is far more than I have typically done, but I have been building up very slowly to 30 min runs now (c3.5mi). The consistency has turned habitual, so I’m not really thinking about it - going when I wake means I don’t have time to talk myself out of it.

Ran 100.3k in Feb off the back of that, and have only been going for 3 months!

Aerobically it feels ok, but I now realise in my later years that building very slowly (<10% increases each week) allow my muscle and joints to get used to what I’m doing. It’s been 5 years since I completed a 50 miler off-road run, and I finally feel like I’m back on the horse....

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2019, 02:14:22 AM »
I clocked 127km in February, slightly down on Jan, but with 3 less days and a 10k race tomorrow morning there are reasons.

It's true that I often get absolutely slaughtered by the women and men in their 40s/50s, but I find myself trailing the 12 year-old girls, too.  I wish I had run more regularly as a kid instead of failing the mile test every year in gym class!

Yep, a 12 year old girl was the first female finisher at our Parkrun today, in a quick time of 21 min.

It was interesting being tail walker today. Not used to seeing the empty stretches of footpath that the leaders do - they were mid way through lap 2 and I was on lap 1... usually I'm in a bunch with several others at my pace so I don't see the big gaps out front.

Slightly eerie seeing them go.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2019, 01:02:55 PM »
January 2019 total miles/workouts
64 miles
(2) 40 min (500 cal ea) spin sessions
9 weight lifting sessions
28 total workouts

February 2019 total miles/workouts
56 miles
(1) 44 min (500 cal) spin session
7 weight lifting sessions
20 total workouts

Not a bad month. Was out of town 8 days for work, 4 of those up north in winter with no easy treadmill access. Did ski and snowmobile 2 days which was quite the workout.

Just ran a 10k (on my own) an hour ago. Goal was 9 min miles, but ended up at 8:50 with plenty left in the tank. Had to stop yesterday’s workout at 4 miles instead of 6 because my knees were bugging me. One of the only times I’ve cut a run short since I started 8 months ago, but I know better than to push it.

I’m slowly working to increase my mileage around 1 mile every other week or so. Trying to mix all sorts of different runs in with various intensity and pace. This week was 18 miles. Plan to peak around 22-25 miles and then just continue to pick up intensity. I’m only interested in running 4 days/wk, lifting 2 days, and 1 day of full rest.

Still maintaining strength despit my running. Bench pressed 255x7 Thursday and squats are still around 350x6.

Weight is at 180lbs and probably around 6-8% BF. I’d love to lose around 5 more lbs, but it’s a balancing act at this point to continue to maintain everything going on.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2019, 05:56:20 PM »
Volunteered at a local trail HM/5mile race today.  Trails had ice covered with a crust of snow and a water crossing low 30s weather.  I'm glad I just registered people and handed out medals. 

Afterwards I kicked myself for realizing my trail shoes I normally leave in the car weren't there so I went home to get my own 4 miles in.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2019, 07:28:47 PM »
Did my 4.4 mile route today with plenty of walk breaks.

After traveling all week with someone who's training for a half Iron Man, I'm feeling more inspired/disciplined.

Planning to shoot for 10 miles a week, which I think will be enough to get fitness benefits without becoming too time-consuming, and also allow my old doggo to accompany most of the time.