Author Topic: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread  (Read 67626 times)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread
« on: January 05, 2019, 09:06:57 AM »
I’m creating this thread for a centralized location for runners to unite, both new and veterans.

We can discuss any topics related to running. 2019 goals.. our running experience.. gear.. diet.. mustachian tips.. injuries (and their prevention).. 

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
Re: On your mark.. get set... 2019 Runners Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 09:10:25 AM »
A little about myself:

I have been an adamant weight lifter since I was 14 (now 30). I have always been pretty religious about it and it’s an ingrained habit I have formed. I have always hated all forms of cardio, and thus have never done it regularly. Growing up, I was always a fast sprinter for anything 200m or less.

Last June I left a job working 70-80 hr weeks, for one working 40-50. I had so much free time I wanted to be productive, so I started walking 1-2 miles a few days a week before work. Then it slowly picked up into running. Needless to say, I’ve become a bit hooked!

I have typically been running around 9-12 miles a week, divided into 3 days. I have also been lifting 3 days a week, as I have been for years.

This year I am changing things up. I am dropping my weightlifting down to 2 days a week and picking running up to 4 days.

My 2019 goal is to run a 20 minute 5k while still being able to squat 2x my body weight and bench 1.5x my body weight. I’m already there weightlifting wise but need to maintain while meeting the 5k goal. My current 5k is around 23.5-24 minutes. Have a ways to go but pretty far along for a runner who’s only been running about 6 months.

My weight is an “issue.” Due to all my weightlifting and strict diet, I’m way too muscular for a good distance runner for anything over like 40 meters. I’m 5’9, 185 lbs, and single digit body fat. Most distance runners my height are around 135-155 lbs. I am prepared to give up what will have to be some muscle to supplement my running. I’d like to be able to hit my goals at 175 lbs but we’ll see. Even now when I get down to 182 I’m very very lean.

So that’s my backstory and where I’m at now. Hoping to find some good questions, comments, and general conversation from some runners!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 07:15:54 PM by use2betrix »

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 06:41:02 PM »
I'll join in. I'm not a regular runner but ideally would like to be. I ran my first half marathon in 2017 but had an unexpected asthma attack during so I really walked most of it. 2018 was a bust, literally, after I dropped a piece of furniture on my toe and was out for over 2 months.

Goal for 2019 is to try the half marathon again. There is a training group at our local parks and rec department. Hoping to do better this time (and be able to run more/all of it).

katekat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 01:03:00 PM »
Hey, I'll join in!
Background: after an extremely sedentary life (I was the kind of person who cheered when taking my final PE lesson of all time and couldn't run even when chased) I think I completed couch to 5k for the first time in 2013.
Since then, I've been really on-and-off at the whole thing, sometimes running consistently (if slowly) for months on end, sometimes almost completely losing my fitness for months on end, sometimes in-between. Did a half-marathon in 2015 (run-walk) and several 10k obstacle runs over the years but I'd love to do a 'real' timed run (i.e. not obstacles, not walking, actually preparing properly) some day.
Right now I'm on week 4 of couch to 5k on the treadmill and hoping to make running a habit again in 2019. My initial goals are: finish couch to 5k on the treadmill, find places to run not-on-the-treadmill, and keep up a few-times-a-week running habit through whatever combination of treadmill/outdoor makes it easiest for me to run consistently.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 01:20:46 PM »
I had typed up a long winded response here yesterday and then the forum crashed lol.

I started running in early 2015... there were a few false starts and it was only really in late 2016 that I started running consistently and started seeing progression in times and distance.

You really have to knock down the wall a few times before it becomes a habit.

Last year I finished 3 more half marathons (taking my total to 6), and in Nov/Dec ran that distance 3 times in training. Unfortunately this has kinda killed the allure of a HM race for me now hehe :)

Goals for this year are a 5k of 22:30 (current PB 23:30), a 10k of 48:00 (current PB of 49:39), half marathon of 1:52 (PB of 1:57) and complete a marathon (will be happy just to finish, but under 4:30 would be good).

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 01:36:59 PM »
I'm in!

I was 300lbs in college and had a wake up call at age 20. I joined a powerlifting gym and picked up MTBing, along with a mindful diet (IIFYM before it was a thing), I lost 120+ lbs and ultimately began doing drug free physique competitions.

Like you, OP, I HATED most forms of cardio, the MTBing was super helpful because I loved it for it's own sake.

I got an office job in 2014 and gained back a lot of weight my first 6-9 months, when someone convinced me to sign up for a sprint distance triathlon. At the time I could barely jog a mile and didn't know how to swim. I trained over the summer and doggy paddled my way through the swim, rode my MBT on the bike course, and limped my way through a hilly 5k. I was hooked. Just about 2 years later I would go on to finish my first 70.3 distance half Ironman in Lake Placid.

I run varied distances, but my favorite is probably 10k. It's long enough, but not terrible at my 210 lb weight.

I don't have any races on the map for 2019 just yet, but I have some time goals for running and lifting that I posted in my 2019 goal post. I'll share some here in a later post.

Happy running, and lifting y'all!

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 10:30:51 AM »
Hi All!

I've been a runner since college, so going on 15 years now.  I had typical beginner gains early on, bringing my half marathon time down to 1:36 and full marathon time down to 3:37 in a couple of years.  But the demands of grad school and overtraining had me in the throes of the female athlete triad, and I suffered four ridiculous stress fractures (pelvis x 2, sacrum, and femur) within a short amount of time that basically sidelined me from serious training until my late 20s.  I'm healthy now and have put together multiple years of steady volume (40-60 mpw), re-running my half PR a couple of years ago and setting a new marathon PR in November of just under 3:28.  My goal was to qualify for Boston at the fastest standard before turning 35.  Mission complete!

I put even bigger running goals on hold until we decided whether we're having kids or not.  The decision has been made, and we're not, so I'm hungry for faster times.  I don't have a marathon on my radar until maybe Boston in 2020.  I'd like to run the half marathon qualifying standard for the NYC Marathon (1:34), so maybe I'll work on that goal this year.  A sub-20 5k seems do-able as well; my PR is right around 21 minutes.  We built a power rack in our basement, so I'm supplementing my running with barbell work two times a week. 

Here's to being faster in my mid-30s (and beyond!) than I was in my 20s!

I just moved to a very hilly area in SE PA/NW DE, and getting outside for long runs is a struggle!  I'm trying to learn to STFU and JUST DO IT.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 12:46:33 PM »
Good afternoon everyone! I'm glad there is a running thread here.

I started running in 2009 when my wife got pregnant with our son. Years of living the college life (i.e. lots of beer drinking) and carrying on that lifestyle after graduation had me up to 250 pounds. At 5'11" I was getting close to obese, although I stayed active in intramural sports and joined a gym after college. I didn't want to be a fat dad that couldn't keep up with my son, so I refocused on diet and began running; with the goal to complete a half-marathon. At my lowest, I got down to 185 pounds, but now I walk around at 195-200 most of the time. I've done 10 half marathons, a nautical 10-miler (11.8 miles), a boat load of 5Ks, and several mud runs; including Tough Mudder.

I'm now 43 and have had some nagging aches and pains for a while. I took some time off from running to focus on strength training and resting more and I think it has helped my overall health. I've started getting that itch again now that spring race season is coming, but it's so hard to start over after not running regularly for almost a year. I'm just not sure I want to put myself through building my base mileage up to be able to run 13.1 races again...so we'll see. Regardless, I'm glad to be amongst runners and look forward to hearing your progress reports and race stories!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 04:52:20 PM »
I'm so excited that you started this thread!

I am a very new runner. In fact I had never really run as an adult until February of last year. I was training to hike Mt. Whitney and my hiking partner friend suggested my husband and I join her in the Rock and Roll Half Marathon. My husband has been running for awhile, but never says yes to anything. I asked him if he wanted to do it and he said "yeah, ok". So, I followed the Couch to 5k and then the Hal Higdon novice half program. I ran my first 5k (with kids!) last March, and my first half marathon in June. Since then I've run another half marathon (December), a trail 15k (October), and another family 5k on Thanksgiving. Between running and hiking, and yes I DID get to hike Mt. Whitney last year, I logged 500 total miles in 2018. My goal for 2019 is 1000 miles combined hiking/running. I'd like to do another half marathon once I can break 2:30 (2:42 was my fastest), and my goal is to run my first full in 2020. We are doing two family 5k races this spring with our 7 and 9 year old.

My favorite thing about running is that it's given me a new way to connect with my brother. My brother is a legitimate ultrarunner, who has completed 5 100 mile races and even has a podium finish. He's in the UTMB lottery for this year (3 more days until he finds out!), after being disappointed to not get in Western States or Hard Rock. When he and his wife came to visit over the holidays we all went out for a family run/hike. We've crewed for him a few times, and my just turned 18 year old paced him the last 9 miles to his first 100 mile finish in 2017 when all the craziness really began.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 06:10:31 PM »
Ok, I'm in.  I've never really been a runner before, and while I'm not in poor health, I definitely have some weight to lose and cardio to build up. I'll figure out the details and post how it's going.  Wish me luck, lol

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 06:26:17 PM »
Ok, I'm in.  I've never really been a runner before, and while I'm not in poor health, I definitely have some weight to lose and cardio to build up. I'll figure out the details and post how it's going.  Wish me luck, lol

Start easy and slow! If you throw yourself into it too hard you’ll be at risk of injury and burn out.

You don’t want to increase mileage more than around 10%/wk. if you haven’t run forever, take it light, jog/walk, and pick it up from there!

There’s lots of good articles to read about getting started and preventing injuries.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 09:59:48 PM »

Start easy and slow! If you throw yourself into it too hard you’ll be at risk of injury and burn out.

You don’t want to increase mileage more than around 10%/wk. if you haven’t run forever, take it light, jog/walk, and pick it up from there!

There’s lots of good articles to read about getting started and preventing injuries.

Thanks, will do

smoghat

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 10:55:21 PM »
I'm a TERRIBLE runner and I run out of bitterness, so I do it fairly regularly. I'm overweight (200 lbs for 5'11"), have high blood pressure which means medicine to keep it in check, which it does, but it means I run even more slowly, and was never a runner before the last few years. I run pretty regularly and my usual route is 7k. In the summer I usually run it in the mid 9 minutes per mile range.

My goal this year is to run 400 miles (most I ever ran was 322 in 2016 and last two years I've landed in the 250 mile range) and a half marathon this fall. I have run 18 miles so far and I am apparently 10 miles ahead of schedule according to Strava. Yay!

Other goals are to lose 20-25 pounds. I can do it, I just have to start now. That's for another thread. Also, would like to run a sub 8-minute mile. I am currently running at 11.00 miles which sounds awful but I run even more slowly when I wear pants for running and bundle up, I haven't run much in October-December so I am warming up slowly. Another goal is to expand my usual run to 10k - 12k, without stops, which can be hard to do in the middle of the summer.   

Some running get curtailed when I get back on my bike but for now my shoulder hurts so I'm going to have to wait on that.

Mattrim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 01:04:30 PM »
This is a great thread! I've always been running, but not following any organized plan before summer last year. My colleague and friend (that has always been slower than me) really started to exercise and I felt him getting close to beating me.

The big goal last year was a half marathon in late September. I just managed my goal of sub 1.30. Very happy with that.

For this year I'm training for Oslo marathon in September. My goal is sub 3h. I'm really excited about this and I'm slowly building up my distance per week now. This week I'm doing 37k and next week 40k. My plan is to get to 60k before the spring and then start speed works and adding more kilometers to be able to do sub 3h. My training after the half marathon was severely reduced due to the birth of my son this autumn, but I'm now getting back on track.

I've never run longer than a half marathon before, so there are a lot of unknown in my equation yet.

Looking forward to follow your running as well!

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 01:39:01 PM »
PTF for now. I have been running for about 10 years. Many 5ks, half a dozen half marathons, and one full marathon back in 2013.

Currently 6 months pregnant and I haven't been running since the summer/early fall. I plan to start back up by this July after the baby arrives and I've had a chance to heal. I'm hoping to start up sooner but don't want to push myself so July is the goal.

Goal for 2019
July - Start running again 1-2 miles a couple times a week
August - Increase distance to 2-3 miles 3 times a week
September - Run 3+ miles 3-4 times a week and run 1 5k
October - Run 3+ miles 3-4 times a week and run 1 5k
November - Begin Hal Higdon's 10K training
December - Complete Hal Hidgon's 10k training and run a 10k

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 01:47:37 PM »
Runner/Lifter Lifter/Runner here.

I'm similar to you.  Always been lifting and always walking my dog 1-2 miles in the morning (and evening, but I don't run for that).  Now I run 2-3 miles in the morning 3-4x a week and still lift 3x a week.  I dont' really have any running goals for the year, but I am going to do my first tri.  I will most likely lower my lifting and replace it with biking and swimming in the spring.

What's your plan to improve your time?  Do you have a program you plan to follow?

My weight is an “issue.” Due to all my weightlifting and strict diet, I’m way too muscular for a good distance runner for anything over like 40 meters. I’m 5’9, 185 lbs, and single digit body fat. Most distance runners my height are around 135-155 lbs. I am prepared to give up what will have to be some muscle to supplement my running. I’d like to be able to hit my goals at 175 lbs but we’ll see. Even now when I get down to 182 I’m very very lean.

You will probably lose some muscle just by switching to more running with less lifting, so it might take of itself naturally.  But I also know people with a similar build (and bigger) with similar lifts who still can run under a 20min 5k.  So it's definitely possible, but I your lifts will probably take a hit in the short term.

My 2019 goal is to run a 20 minute 5k while still being able to squat 2x my body weight and bench 1.5x my body weight. I’m already there weightlifting wise but need to maintain while meeting the 5k goal. My current 5k is around 23.5-24 minutes. Have a ways to go but pretty far along for a runner who’s only been running about 6 months.

and c'mon, as an adamant lifter you should know the difference between the power lifts and weightlifting!

des999

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 02:29:26 PM »
PTF, it'll hold me accountable as I have a race coming up in April. 

I have been running regularly for 10 years, and I have really grown to love it.  It is 'my time' and I get to do 3-4 mile runs at work on my lunch break.  I do my long run on the weekends, usually Sunday.  I typically run 4-5 days a week.  Currently my long run is 7 miles, but I need to get it up to 11-12 before April and my half marathon.

I also life weights, but not as much, a couple days a week, I'd love to do more, but I choose running over lifting most days. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 03:01:02 PM »
I really want to love running.  But anyway, I run.

I started up again a few years ago. Never been particularly fast.  I'm short, stocky-ish, 48 and female.

Last year I spent most of the year training for half marathons. 
- I ran one in May (2:28, 24 minutes faster than the same race the year before). 
- I ran my second all uphill half marathon in September (3:23, a full 39 minutes faster than the year before - but in 2017 it was, no joke, 95F - and I melt in the heat). 
- I ran a third one in October because: why not?  2:20. 

Then I decided I wanted to beat a 10:00 mile for a 10k (half marathons are too long, my body is pretty much *done* at 9-10 miles).  I pulled that off in September.

Then I decided to switch to trails - I had run a bunch of trails in 2017.  But I tripped and fell and strained my hamstring on my first trail run.  Had to take 8 weeks off.  I *just* started running again - I've gone 3 times.  It's very slow.  I have to run/walk.  The hamstring is still not at 100%.  My pace averages around 12:20.  Sigh.

So, running goals for the year:
- Do at least 1 trail race, bonus points if 10+ miles.  But first: learn to not trip when trail running.
- Three-peat the uphill half.  I think it's just gonna be my "thing".  I might not PR, especially if I don't "pre-game" by training for the May half.  But it's just a different beast altogether, and I think I like it.
- Sub 27:00 5k.  When I was 39, I was dreaming of a sub 25:00 5k.  AH HA HA.  But I think sub 27:00 is do-able.  Just have to train for it.

The good thing about this injury is that I've had to do other things.  I've been doing a lot of weightlifting (around other injuries though) and swimming and walking and hiking.  I miss all those things.  Having a FT job and 2 youngish kids means I only have X number of hours a week to work out (say, 7-8, including commute), and there's really not enough time to do everything.

My half marathon PR is 2:11, but that was a looong time ago.  Under 40.

Nowadays, it's not about PRs it's about "over-40" PRs and about staying active and not getting hurt.  Ahem.
I hope to continue the weight lifting this year.  2-3x a week for 30-40 minutes.

LPG

• Stubble
    • 1000x Faster Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 03:17:42 PM »
I'm in!

I've always been a fairly athletic person, but have entirely too much hobby ADHD to ever really stick with one and excel at it (IMO, this is fine. They're hobbies, and are meant to be fun!). This means that through my life I've bounced from soccer to cross country skiing to running to martial arts to running to cycling to cross country skiing to rock climbing to...you get the idea. My running background included a lot of 5k-10k range runs in high school, running my first (And probably only) full marathon in 2007, a few races here and there in 2015, and 2 half-marathons in 2018. I ran the first half marathon in 2:18 (It felt slow, and it was. I had been struggling with an injury for 2 months, and my main goal was to walk away without pain) and the second in 1:52. Like some other posters this bouncing between hobbies has left me fairly heavy for distance runners (5'7", 175 lbs) so I'm not angling to be the fastest person around. More to have fun, enjoy my accomplishments, and feel good in my own body.

Here are my goals for this year:
  • Run my 1/2 marathon in June, faster than 1:45
  • Average at least 20 miles/week starting in April
  • STRETCHING. Lots of it. Everyday. Especially my quads, shoulders, and back.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 03:19:26 PM by LPG »

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 03:18:45 PM »
Joining in!

I'm a triathlete- first full distance Ironman will be in May. I'm terrified and excited. Traveling down to Santa Rosa for the race.

I have a few other goals- 1:45 for a half marathon in March. I may not be able to hit that though, right now I'm spending a lot of time swimming and biking.

I'd also like to do a full marathon maybe this fall. I'm not sure if I can BQ, but I'd like to try. We have many flat/slightly downhill and fast BQ courses in the area.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 07:12:48 PM »
So glad to see all the good input here! Does anyone ever do spin classes? I was doing them about weekly for a while last year and they helped a lot as a new runner. They are great to push your cardiovascular system on days where you legs might still be recovering from harder runs/leg days.

@Cromacster - yes yes - powerlifting vs weightlifting. I’ve just never considered myself a powerlifter. I haven’t done an “actual” strength training program since I was 15. I just do my own workouts I’ve learned through over a decade of trial and error with my body and regular research/reading. I used to lift a lot harder but after my hernia surgeries I’ve eased up a bit.

I haven’t really done a dedicated “5k program” because I’m pretty big on modeling programs based on how you feel and such. If I have a long crappy day at work, bad nights sleep, nagging injury, I’m not going to push myself just to meet some program. At the same time, if I’m feeling great on an “off day” I might stretch an extra run in (like last Saturday).

My general plan is this:
Sunday - weightlifting - quads, hamstrings, calves, biceps, abs
Monday - easy run (around 3 miles, slowly progressing) or cross train w/ spin or elliptical 
Tuesday - slightly longer and/or harder run
Wednesday - weightlifting - chest, shoulders, triceps, back
Thursday - intervals (like a 3x1 mile or 6x800)
Friday or Saturday - long run one day, rest on the other

Again, that’s a general outline and subject to change depending on a few factors. Hope to run a 6x800 later this week. I’d “like” to get to the point where each 800 would be at the pace I need for a 20 minute 5k. That’d mean each 800 would have to be 3:13. Once I can do that reasonably well I’ll work on mile repeats at 6:26, and so on, til I’m at my 20:00 5k time.

I may only do the 6x8’s or 3x1’s every other week in place of an extra long run to get my mileage up, but we’ll just have to see.

On a good note, my weight was 183.6 this morning. I’d like to hover closer to 180, then see about dropping to around 175 when I get closer to my 5k goal. I may have to naturally go less to hit it but we’ll see. I am pretty positive that I’m going to be the most muscular guy out there running a 20 min 5k when I hit it lol.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 07:27:30 PM »
Yes. Putting my hand up as someone who does spin classes. They're good because you have the choice of how hard you want to go, when you're feeing crap you can take it easy.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 07:18:09 AM »
Anyone else do another form of cross training on your off (non-running) days?

I've been into HIIT and other similar type workouts for a while now. I enjoy the movement, the body-weight exercises, the cardio, etc. I get from doing those kinds of workouts and the increased strength really made a difference in my running.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 09:02:58 AM »

I've been into HIIT and other similar type workouts for a while now. I enjoy the movement, the body-weight exercises, the cardio, etc. I get from doing those kinds of workouts and the increased strength really made a difference in my running.

I did 40 mins of high intensity spin yesterday. I lift heavy weights twice a week. I like running but I want to be fully balanced for strength and cardio.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 10:39:20 AM »
Re: cross training.  The only thing that's made me a faster runner is more miles.  Lots and lots of slow miles peppered with quality workouts 2-3 times a week.  But I still cross train - mainly with lifting and riding my bike - because 1) it feels nice and 2) the biking has helped keep runner's knee at bay for many years.  That being said, cross training is GREAT for a newer-ish runner, because you can't load up on the miles before your muscles and bones are ready for the increased load.

I ran 10 miles last night.  Double digit runs on weekdays still freak me the heck out, because they're time-consuming, and (whine) I'm often tired after work.  But it was in the mid-40s, and it was the last day I'll be wearing shorts for a while.  Brrrrr.

Anybody doing the Lululemon 40/80 challenge on Strava?  I have no plans to buy anything from them - even at a 25% discount - but I find that it forces me to get my butt outside for some fresh air (indoor runs don't count).

related: anyone want to be Strava friends? :)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 11:05:57 AM »

Yep.  Lately I've been doing a combo weight lifting/ HIIT program (I have Beachbody on Demand, I just picked a program).  I also like to swim on off days too.  Yoga is also great.

But mostly, last year when I was focusing on getting faster - I ran.  A lot.

I pretty much ran 3 days a week (which for some people isn't a lot, but for a pushing-50 female with my body type - is a lot).

I did one day/ week of a hip/core class intended specifically for runners - to prevent injury and strengthen the core.  This made a HUGE difference.  My hips are my "weak" point - in distance, they hurt first.  The hip/core class meant that they got tired/ sore/ wore out at mile 10 instead of mile 7.  (You could use my hips as a measuring tool...7 miles on the nose).

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 01:18:04 PM »
Re: cross training.  The only thing that's made me a faster runner is more miles.  Lots and lots of slow miles peppered with quality workouts 2-3 times a week.  But I still cross train - mainly with lifting and riding my bike - because 1) it feels nice and 2) the biking has helped keep runner's knee at bay for many years.  That being said, cross training is GREAT for a newer-ish runner, because you can't load up on the miles before your muscles and bones are ready for the increased load.

You should check out Meb Keflezighi.  If you don't know who he is, he won Boston in 2014 and was the first american to win the Boston since 1983, and he was 38 years old.

Near the end of his career his goal was to win the Boston.  He changed up his training and I believe got a new coach.  His coach decided it wasn't worth their time to try and change his form, but knew he need to travel further with each step to increase his speed.  How did they accomplish this?  Deadlift.  He spent most of his training leading up to that marathon doing deadlifts and shorter/faster runs.  There is a sports doc somewhere out in the world where they discuss this, I'll see if I can find it.

I first heard this on an interview with a sports trainer of some type.  He talked about how Deadlift/BW ratio is a pretty good indicator of speed.  About how at NFL combines you can predict their 40yd dash ranking based on this ratio.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 01:56:11 PM »

I first heard this on an interview with a sports trainer of some type.  He talked about how Deadlift/BW ratio is a pretty good indicator of speed.  About how at NFL combines you can predict their 40yd dash ranking based on this ratio.

I have read this exact same thing in some very detailed articles about getting faster.

librarianlibrarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 03:16:13 PM »
hello! Been a lurker on the Forums for sometime now, but am such a running nut thought I'd finally join when I saw this thread.

Been running off and on for sometime now, albeit only in 2015 did I start running more consistently. My goal for 2019 is 2000 miles by 12/31/19!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 03:31:45 PM »
@Better Change I would like to be strava friends! I use my real name there though which I try not to post here, so shoot me a message. :)

For cross-training I do yoga and other fitness classes at my yoga studio (work reimburses enough of it that I can just barely justify the rest of the expense). There is a boot camp class which is very intense, a sculpt class which has weights by no impact, and a variety of yoga classes from hot and intense to essentially "guided nap time." I try to mix it up and get to a variety of classes.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2019, 08:21:37 PM »
Woke up this morning and have had a terribly sore right hamstring all day. Must have tweaked it wrong doing spin last night. Lifted weights tonight and will probably make tomorrow my off day to rest it up. On a good note I had 255x8 on bench tonight so still keeping strength well. I’ve noticed my upper body slimming out due to the running while my quads have just been getting ridiculously bigger and more vascular.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 04:36:22 AM »
It's a good thing I like to deadlift!  Definitely my favorite of the three power lifts.  And I <3 Meb.

I hope you heal up soon @use2betrix!  Depending on what the injury feels like, foam rolling - especially around adjacent muscle groups - can help a lot.  But I don't advise deep tissue massage of a strain or tear.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 09:52:35 AM »
I managed to get in 13.3 miles of running in first week of January. This week will be lighter as I'm tapering before a 10 mile race on the 19th.

I'm slow, and it's been cold out (I don't like running hold).

I'm hoping to finish January with ~50 miles.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2019, 10:30:25 AM »
My husband and I decided to do a half marathon in June, so I guess it's time to get back on track since I really want to break 2:30 this time. My brother didn't get into UTMB this year, so we may go crew for him in Ouray in July since that's his back-up race to keep up points. I can't imagine running the way he does but it's pretty fun to get to go crew and be a part of the experience. It motivates me to come home and work on my own progress.

Chuck Ditallin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2019, 03:47:55 PM »
I've been a runner for years, but it's really slipped over the last 2 or three years. I have a place in the London Marathon at the end of April and am currently running 5 or 6 miles (admittedly cross-country in the English winter mud) at about 13 min miling.

It's going to be interesting! I'm relying on muscle memory and lots of stretching/strengthening to get me through a tough schedule without injury.

I've done 30-something marathons (best 3:29) or longer (up to 50 miles, which is about my limit) and 5 IM triathlons (best 12:48, I am not a cyclist...) I'm not going to be within 90 minutes of 3:29 by April!

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2019, 05:22:08 PM »
Useful thread as always on MMM. Did not know about the deadlift/speed connection. Apparently you can also do bodyweight deadlift exercises to get the same benefit, at least according to this guy: https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/get-the-benefits-of-deadlifts-without-weights.html

Since I found RunBet and StepBet (thanks to MMM forum) in October (I think) of last year I have been a running demon! Getting paid to run is the bomb! Between the money, little competitive head games I play with the leaderboard and the accountability/don't break the chain element, it has me running the most I've done in years.

I've done a few triathlons a number of years ago, as well as 3 marathons. Because of getting more into cycling for environmental reasons, and getting into long distance open water swimming last year, am a bit tempted to do triathlons again.

I have learned that the marathon will mess up my IT band every dang time. Not on 20-mile training runs, no, just on race day at mile 17.

Current long run is 12 miles.

I would really like to get faster again, and train for faster half marathon. But I am also interested in masters speedwork/track work. Have asked around at my local running store but nada. Suggestions?

I have gotten slower and slower over the past years but that's just because I don't have any accountability for speed and I run alone instead of with faster runners. That said if I stick with RunBet I know I will get faster -- already have sped up significantly.

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2019, 03:02:23 PM »
I’ll join if you’ll have me.

I’ve been a cardio-only nut, on and off. Running and cycling. On - in my teens / early 20s, now again in my (*ahem*) 40s. Off - in between, kids now teens themselves so ok to do something for myself!

I ran an enjoyable off-road 50 miler in 2014. Meant lots of very long Sunday runs. Was more of a mental challenge, but as it turned out, it’s taken this long for my body to forgive me. Just a residual foot issue.

Because of that, I’ve recently started running 5-6 mornings a week, not for very long (built up to 24mins), to get my body used to running again. In the intervening, non-running era, I discovered spinning (once/twice per week). I wish I’d cross-trained 5 years ago - spinning is a great way of achieving fitness without the running fatigue.

Anyway, my goal for 2019: complete a 10k in a sustainable way. In other words, so I can push on from that.

It’s great to be running regularly again, and I really just want to stay fit to run. Grateful every day I can do it.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2019, 10:39:32 AM »
Alright, I finished the arbitrary Lululemon 80k challenge.  It required a wet and miserable run in the snow yesterday, but I got it done.

I'm going to pick up with the Hansons Advanced Half Marathon plan starting this week for a race on April 28th.  My timing is a little off, so I'll be jumping into week four.  The tempo runs have me a little nervous, because goal half marathon pace (ideally 7:08/mile) seems really fast for where I'm at right now.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

It looks like a number of folks have goal races coming up this spring; I'm excited to follow along with your training!

I think I'll do some deadlifts tonight.  I slacked on the strength work last week.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2019, 11:22:00 AM »
I am slowly getting started again, back up just over 4 miles yesterday (4.18...). It's frustrating how long it takes to build up and how quickly you lose your progress after a break! My brother is trying to talk us into at least doing the 10 miler at Born to Run in May. It's the right number of weeks for a 10 mile before the rock n roll half we're doing in June. It's supposed to be pretty rainy this week; we're so spoiled in So Cal with the winter running weather, but I'm going to force myself to get out there anyway this week.

@Better Change good luck with your training (7:08/mile seems really fast!!) and congrats on completing the challenge already!

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 12:10:22 PM »

You should check out Meb Keflezighi.  If you don't know who he is, he won Boston in 2014 and was the first american to win the Boston since 1983, and he was 38 years old.

Near the end of his career his goal was to win the Boston.  He changed up his training and I believe got a new coach.  His coach decided it wasn't worth their time to try and change his form, but knew he need to travel further with each step to increase his speed.  How did they accomplish this?  Deadlift.  He spent most of his training leading up to that marathon doing deadlifts and shorter/faster runs.  There is a sports doc somewhere out in the world where they discuss this, I'll see if I can find it.

Where I first heard it (Joe Rogan and Peter Attia)
https://youtu.be/gP1NA5f4LfE?t=5410

Source Referenced, Ryan Flaherty on Tim Ferris
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkFYWuc5MhE

SmileAllDay

• Stubble
  • Traveling full-time with my wife since '16.
    • So, where were we?
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2019, 12:27:19 PM »
I'm in!

I move to a new country every month so running is the easiest way to exercise consistently (without going through the hassle of signing up for a monthly gym membership, every month, in a foreign language). It's also my favorite way to explore a new place. And probably, most important: I'm a much easier person to live with when I'm jogging regularly :D

I find RunGo to be a terrific app for finding a route quickly, at the distance I want, when I arrive in unfamiliar places.

Any other app recommendations?

NewPerspective

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2019, 12:42:05 PM »
I've been running fairly consistently for about 10 years now.  I say fairly because I do go through stages (a few months here and there usually) where I don't run.

I've been in a running rut lately because we signed up with a personal trainer in August to do weight lifting etc. (Not very cost effective but we have been SO consistent).  Anyway It seems that running has taken a backseat as a result.  I need to get back to being more consistent.

I've done one half marathon (but trained for three, injuries late in my training kept me from running the first two) and lots of 10ks.  My last 10k was Thanksgiving, I ran a 8:36 per mile average.  I'd like to improve that to an 8:10 or so.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2019, 05:45:27 PM »
Took a wrong turn on my run tonight, quickly turned my 4 miler into a 5 miler. Wasn’t a huge deal since I didn’t really warm up til mile 4. Note to self - 55 degrees and dark is much cooler than 55 degrees and sunny. All I had on was shorts and a non-cotton t-shirt.

I also am nursing a big blister from some new Christmas boots. I had covered it for about 10 days and left it open the last week and a half with zero issue. For some reason tonight it started bugging me again.

BookValue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2019, 07:45:54 AM »
I'll hop on board. Been running a couple years but kept getting injured, ran a 5K but have had to pull out of 2 other races due to ITBS and shin splints. Actually thought I had a stress fracture and got an x-ray which thankfully was negative, just "significant tissue damage." fun.
Been doing some serious leg and hip exercises along with foam rolling and it seems to be helping. Worked back up to 4.5 miles at 10:30 easy pace, but trying to slowly build mileage and not get hurt again.
If i stay healthy maybe I'll try for a fall marathon.
Also, running has made me realize how much I hate winter. Snow sucks.

Upcoming races and 3 goals:
5k in march - goals: Finish / don't get hurt in training, 27:30, 25:00
half marathon in may - goals: Finish / don't get hurt in training, 2:00, 1:45

SteadyDoinIt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2019, 03:23:46 PM »
I'm in.

Similar to some of you, I've been an on and off runner for the better part of a dozen years. I also played soccer growing up, so long bouts of cardio are somewhat ingrained. Over the last 2 or 3 years, a half marathon has been a bucket list item. I've done many 10k and 15k (and one 5x5k) trail runs, quite a few 10+ mile long runs, but have never actually signed up for and competed in a race.

Over the last 12-18 months, I've focused mostly on strength training 1) so that I'm not the weak guy on the block, and 2) because I believe there are a ton of long-term benefits to putting your musculoskeletal system under duress. That said, I recently developed a shoulder impingement that's hampered my gym time, and I need something new to aim for while I work out the kinks in my shoulder.

I'm signing up for a race on 4/14. Working my mileage up to 16 miles/week until the week of 2/18, then I'll be following an 8 week program leading up to race day. Ongoing goal is to keep my legs limber throughout by foam rolling, regular stretching, cross training, and some yoga. Race day goal is under 10 min/mile.

Happy running!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2019, 11:17:52 AM »
Did a 4 mile run last night. So amazed by this blister. 3 weeks old. Was getting so much better and didn’t need to be covered for the last 2 weeks and zero issue, now it’s getting worse all of a sudden. Taking tonight off then probably a short run tomorrow.

I’m down to 182 lbs as of this morning, was bouncing around 186 at the new year. My actual diet has been the same, which is always measured and balanced. I just cut back on the unplanned junk (when they bring donuts to work, ice cream nights) and also picked up the extra day of running. Maybe I’ll do some elliptical or spin tomorrow instead due to the blister.

I’m pretty good weight wise, though I still might aim for 180, then 175ish for any races.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2019, 12:16:58 PM »
I made it through my first interval run (800s) and tempo run (5k) of this training block, so my confidence is in a better place than it was before embarking on the current plan.  I always seem to psych myself out that I won't be able to run x:xx pace, but then it's just....not a big deal.  The mental aspect of running is huge.  However, sandwiching a lifting session in between said workouts has left me with a solid case of DOMS.  I'm always sore.

Because of the incoming nasty winter storm, it looks like the long run is happening tomorrow morning (the only time that won't be wet/snowy/icy/zero degrees).  Scheduling around winter weather is the pits.  And it's not that I can't run in that garbage, it's just that I don't trust drivers!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2019, 01:05:59 PM »
I made it through my first interval run (800s) and tempo run (5k) of this training block, so my confidence is in a better place than it was before embarking on the current plan.  I always seem to psych myself out that I won't be able to run x:xx pace, but then it's just....not a big deal.  The mental aspect of running is huge.  However, sandwiching a lifting session in between said workouts has left me with a solid case of DOMS.  I'm always sore.

Because of the incoming nasty winter storm, it looks like the long run is happening tomorrow morning (the only time that won't be wet/snowy/icy/zero degrees).  Scheduling around winter weather is the pits.  And it's not that I can't run in that garbage, it's just that I don't trust drivers!

Awesome! How many 800s did you do and what times did you hit/aiming for? What about the tempo run (5k)?

Last week I was planning to do 6x800 at 3:13 a piece, but I was getting pretty worn after 3 at around 3:20ish so opted to do a 2 mile run instead of the remaining 3 800’s.

I don’t have good access for a track and anything under a mile is a bit of a challenge/annoyance tracking by staring at my watch.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2019, 01:47:31 PM »
I've only run 3 or 4 times since my accident. Been nursing a cold for 1.5 weeks.

I will prob try and run 4 miles tomorrow (at this point, it's run/walk).  My local (paid) track program starts up next week.  I love the track program.

I also signed up for a half marathon training program, but prob will skip the actual race itself this year.  It's gorgeous.  I've done it 3 times.  So pretty.  But my body starts to wear out at 10 miles (my coworker says "you aren't doing it right") to which I smile and think "fuck you, maybe my body just isn't supposed to run a half marathon?"  But what does he know, he's a skinny 6' tall ex cross country male who weighs about 136 lbs.  I'm...not.

In any event, these races end up being $125-$150 each, and meh.  Not necessary.  I'd rather pay that much for 8 weeks of training with 3-4 coached workouts a week.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2019, 05:46:42 PM »
@use2betrix:
I did 6 x 800 in 3:20 with 400 recovery. Total workout was 9 miles. The 5k was in 22:12 in the middle of an 8 miler.  I really need to find a track to go all in on interval workouts, though. My next task for acquainting myself with the new locale! All aboard the pain train!