Author Topic: October Running Challenge  (Read 5621 times)

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
October Running Challenge
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:34:02 PM »
We had a fantastic month in September, but there's no rest for the weary (then again, who's actually weary?) It's time for a pumpkin-spiced October running challenge:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag4s7HPcOY9hdHlSbVdSeF9TSWpJU0VoWTVyWkNCWEE#gid=0

The list of names should include all the runners from the last two months. If you don't see yours anymore, it's probably because I goofed. Please add it back in! If you're new and would like to join, please also add your name in (directions are at the top of the spreadsheet).

Also, if anyone has a good idea for the "question of the month", please fill it in!

Hemlock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: October Running Challenge
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 08:15:19 PM »
FiveSigmas, you sure run a lot! :)

Consider me impressed. I live in Orange County, CA so I rarely have any excuses to NOT run. (Although it did rain yesterday. For about 3 hours.)

=P

Where are all you runners from?

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 10:02:28 PM »
FiveSigmas, you sure run a lot! :)

Consider me impressed. I live in Orange County, CA so I rarely have any excuses to NOT run. (Although it did rain yesterday. For about 3 hours.)

=P

I've been kinda thinking about running a marathon (never done one before), so I've been trying to follow an official training regimen. It's a bit more running than I'd normally do, though, and I have to admit that some of the long runs have left me pretty tuckered! I have some serious respect for folks that have done all 26.2 miles worth.

Joshua, you've done something like 4 marathons, haven't you? I know Bill's training for one. I think Mac has the record on here for longest distance (I think it's something like 70 miles in a single day), which seems super-human.

Oh, and I'm from beautiful (and now a bit rainy) Seattle.

Hemlock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 04:18:33 PM »
Good luck with that! Definitely a challenge worth doing. Then you can do the Ironman! Preferably not in the same month.

I haven't really visited the Pacific Northwest- right now it's on the top of my list though for places to retire in. Mostly thinking Oregon so I'll be closer to my parents who live in Sacramento.

The website FindMySpot seemed to agree with me- putting 5 Oregon cities in their list of suggested 24.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 10:06:41 AM »
I'm back in the game... in a really lame way. Did 2 miles this morning at a 13:00 pace :)

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 12:51:09 PM »
I'm back in the game... in a really lame way. Did 2 miles this morning at a 13:00 pace :)

Just in time. I managed to mess up my knee somehow :-/. I'm gonna switch over to biking for a few days and see if things get better.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 01:14:45 PM »
Good luck with that! Definitely a challenge worth doing. Then you can do the Ironman! Preferably not in the same month.

Heh. :-) Have you heard about this guy, who ran 365 marathons in a year:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/02/05/marathon.record.engels.365/index.html

Now that's badass!

I haven't really visited the Pacific Northwest- right now it's on the top of my list though for places to retire in. Mostly thinking Oregon so I'll be closer to my parents who live in Sacramento.

The website FindMySpot seemed to agree with me- putting 5 Oregon cities in their list of suggested 24.

Yeah, both Oregon and Washington are great places to practice a MMM style living (lots of parks/biking, walkable cities, reasonable cost of living, etc...). If you're looking for a good excuse to visit, check out:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/seattleportland-retreat-with-mmm-and-jd-roth/

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 03:30:32 PM »

Just in time. I managed to mess up my knee somehow :-/. I'm gonna switch over to biking for a few days and see if things get better.

Oh no! Definitely take it easy. R.I.C.E.!

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 01:35:53 AM »
Oh no! Definitely take it easy. R.I.C.E.!

Thanks, Yolfer. You're of course absolutely right. I didn't have anyone to face-punch me, so I did end up doing fairly intense workouts on the stationary bike Sat/Sun/Mon *. I felt fantastic when actually exercising (no pain whatsoever), but after the adrenaline wore off, I still had the same pain as before (although the good news is that it doesn't feel any worse).

I'll take a couple days of solid rest and see how things are.

* And yeah, I did feel slightly silly pedaling indoors when it was so nice over the weekend, too.

Bill76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 07:27:28 AM »
We're in Tennessee, where it is refusing to cool off for my long runs.  17.5 miles yesterday kicked my butt.  I'm pretty sure I gave myself heatstroke, and I ended up walking another couple of miles later in the day as well.  I basically felt like crap all afternoon until I broke down and plunged myself into an ice cold bath.

I have a half marathon coming up this Saturday in Cherokee, NC.  I'm doing this race in place of the scheduled 14 mile run on my marathon training plan.  My legs are exhausted after yesterday, but 13.1 miles for a long run actually seems like an easy day now.  This from the guy who, as of January, had never run more than 4 miles in his life.  It's amazing how your perspective can change so quickly.

Our next round of insanity will be 5 races in 5 days either next Spring or Fall (or both).  I'll only be doing half marathons, but my wife wants to do the full 26.2 every day.

Hemlock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 10:42:18 AM »
Bill, wish you willpower and that you don't get hurt anytime during that. :)

My girlfriend just recently started running, so hearing you say that you really started kicking up the awesomeness this year is pretty inspiring. Kudos!

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 09:15:19 PM »
This from the guy who, as of January, had never run more than 4 miles in his life.  It's amazing how your perspective can change so quickly.

Holy cow, man. Very impressive. Keep it up!

Bill76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 06:51:09 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I don't really feel very awesome or impressive when I'm half walking a few of those later miles.  The goal right now is just to finish the marathon in December.  Half marathons seem easy at this point, but the full 26.2 still makes me nervous.  I'm hoping a couple of 20+ mile training runs will ease the nerves a bit over the next month.

acc7x3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 03:35:02 PM »

New Orleans. Last Saturday I did a half. 75 and humid at the 7 am start. Needless to say it was not my best.

Bill76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 08:30:20 PM »
I slacked off through the middle of the week after Monday's long run.  Then I ran the Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon in Cherokee, NC on Saturday.  I'm still a slow runner, but I knocked 12:30 off my time from my first half back in April, so I'm pretty proud of that.

As an aside, tent camping isn't much fun when nighttime low temperatures are near freezing.  Still, the whole family had a great time, except for when we were freezing our butts off while trying to sleep! :)

Hemlock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 08:48:02 PM »
Nice job. :) I'm nearing my goal of running 50 miles this month, so I'm almost ready to celebrate that success.

acc7x3, any recommendations for stuff to do in New Orleans before Xmas? My family of 4 is going to trek from my sister in Texas over to New Orleans. My parents are pretty frugal, and not too outdoorsy ever since my mom hurt her foot. We're fond of trying new food and my parents do like the standard touristy stuff (aka, visiting things that are pretty/unique even if you don't actually do much.) My sister likes historical stuff. I like weird stuff. ;)

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 11:57:58 PM »
Despite losing a few folks (myself included), we still put some pretty solid miles on the board for October. And some folks are doing awesome!

Congrats, Hemlock, on supercharging past your goal for October!

Bill, it looks like you're powering through those miles. I hope you're feeling less queasy in the long runs? All set for the marathon?

Bill76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 09:25:52 AM »
I'm getting close to ready the marathon.  I did a 20 mile training run, and felt ok afterward.  I'll do 18 this weekend, another 20 the week after that, and then it's time to taper.  I know I can do it now, but I don't have any illusions about the last 6.2 miles being fun or easy.

After this, I'm going to stick to half marathons for a while.  I want to get a lot faster before I try another full.