Author Topic: October Cycling Challenge 2017  (Read 2685 times)

jordanread

October Cycling Challenge 2017
« on: October 01, 2017, 03:51:39 PM »
The cycling challenge for October 2017 is up and ready for you to start (or continue) riding!!
If you logged miles last month, and selected "Remember Me" on the form, you have been added to this month's sheet already.

If you didn't log miles last month, or are a new participant
Click here to fill out the form.
You can access the sheet directly at this link.
I can manually grab your historical data too, so if it's off, just let me know.  If they aren't there within a day, or you have any other issues with the sheet, hit me up via email, PM, or just comment on this thread.
You can also join the MMM Strava Group for additional metrics and motivation. Happy Biking.

jordanread

Re: October Cycling Challenge 2017
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 03:56:10 PM »
Team,

This question was posed towards the end of last month, but I know most of the action in the last half of the month is on the spreadsheet, so I reposted here. I know a few of you have advice. I'll contribute what I can a bit later today.

Any tips for a beginner working up to ride 18 miles in one trip? Possibly twice in a day if I ever get to that level. It will be a huge time sink since driving only takes me 17-20 minutes, but I need to get in shape.

The most I've ridden in one day is about 11 miles broken up over an hour or so and I wasn't destroyed so I think I could do 18 without too much trouble, but I also don't want to get stuck halfway and not make it to work/home from fatigue.

Highest climb according to Google maps is up 413 ft. I have a hybrid bike which is only one year old so definitely not buying a road bike (yet). I have lights, a vest, etc. I don't really need to carry anything with me since I can leave my laptop and such at work.

Also tips for riding through not the best neighborhoods at night? How often do people (well, specifically women) on bikes get assaulted? My pool team threw a fit because I moved to a new area and was riding home past 10pm. I may be able to take a longer route to stay on more of the main roads though.

jordanread

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 12:52:16 PM »
Oops. I forgot the sharing. It should be good now.

TrMama

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 01:19:01 PM »
Team,

This question was posed towards the end of last month, but I know most of the action in the last half of the month is on the spreadsheet, so I reposted here. I know a few of you have advice. I'll contribute what I can a bit later today.

Any tips for a beginner working up to ride 18 miles in one trip? Possibly twice in a day if I ever get to that level. It will be a huge time sink since driving only takes me 17-20 minutes, but I need to get in shape.

The most I've ridden in one day is about 11 miles broken up over an hour or so and I wasn't destroyed so I think I could do 18 without too much trouble, but I also don't want to get stuck halfway and not make it to work/home from fatigue.

Highest climb according to Google maps is up 413 ft. I have a hybrid bike which is only one year old so definitely not buying a road bike (yet). I have lights, a vest, etc. I don't really need to carry anything with me since I can leave my laptop and such at work.

Also tips for riding through not the best neighborhoods at night? How often do people (well, specifically women) on bikes get assaulted? My pool team threw a fit because I moved to a new area and was riding home past 10pm. I may be able to take a longer route to stay on more of the main roads though.

Do you have a rack for your car? Can you drive part way and then bike the rest? Every couple of weeks, park a little further away? I wouldn't worry too much about running out of energy and getting stuck. This basically never happens. You may have to ride super slow, but as long as you're basically healthy your body won't quit on you. If you're concerned, take some water/sports drink and a granola bar with you.

Personally, I wouldn't ride at 10pm anywhere. Too dark, I'm likely to be tired, drivers will be more tired and some of them will be drunk/high. In my area, women sometimes get assaulted on the bike trail late at night. Although it seems as if the ones who really get hurt (as opposed to the ones who're able to get away) are often drunk themselves. So as long as you're sober, you should be OK regardless of what happens.

Long term, is an electric bike a possibility? This makes the distance more attainable and may keep you safer since you'd be harder to catch.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 06:42:10 AM »
Team,

Do you have a rack for your car? Can you drive part way and then bike the rest? Every couple of weeks, park a little further away? I wouldn't worry too much about running out of energy and getting stuck. This basically never happens. You may have to ride super slow, but as long as you're basically healthy your body won't quit on you. If you're concerned, take some water/sports drink and a granola bar with you.

Personally, I wouldn't ride at 10pm anywhere. Too dark, I'm likely to be tired, drivers will be more tired and some of them will be drunk/high. In my area, women sometimes get assaulted on the bike trail late at night. Although it seems as if the ones who really get hurt (as opposed to the ones who're able to get away) are often drunk themselves. So as long as you're sober, you should be OK regardless of what happens.

Long term, is an electric bike a possibility? This makes the distance more attainable and may keep you safer since you'd be harder to catch.

I don't have a rack for my car, I have a unique hatchback so I think I have to get a trailer hitch. But the bike does fit in my car with a little bit of extra time to maneuver it in there. 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse

However...parking halfway might be tricky. It's very rural. I see a church and an auction barn in a small community about halfway and another church later in the trip. That could work! Maybe I should call the church so I don't get towed?

I have thought about getting an e-bike. I estimate that at 30 cents a mile it would take me 5 months to pay off a $1000 bike if I ride it to work full time. I worry I won't get much use from it though. It still is a HUGE time commitment each day even with an e-bike. 36 miles a day is well over two hours a day. I don't know if I could do that forever when driving it takes me less than 40 minutes each day. Not to mention I try to play pool every day which will add at least 5 miles to the trip. I'd probably have to give up pool those days depending on how tired I am. I want to maybe rent an e-bike first and try it out if that's even possible.

I'm not too worried about riding at night since there are not very many cars at all, as long as it's not through bad areas which I need to figure out how to avoid. During the winter riding at night would be impossible to avoid.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 09:18:33 AM »
@ marielle,

I would drive in with your bike, bike home (leaving your car overnight at work if that's ok), and then bike in the next day and drive home. It's less of a time sink but still exercise and less driving. Aim for once or twice a week.

That's how I started biking 19km (~12miles) in the winter, and it was dark both ways... sunrise 8:30am... sunset 4:30pm. I got a super bright front light (non blinky), and a bright blinky back light. I was never worried about assault because I even though it was dark - it was still early with lots of people about. 10pm and rough neighbourhoods though would make me think twice.

Be kind to yourself while your building up a bike habit, start with nice weather days and give yourself time. Just build consistently and try new things, go farther, carry more...

Paul | pdgessler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 08:55:34 PM »
Fellow badass cyclists, I am back!

Long story short, this past spring, my ~13 mile commute ride became a ~100 mile commute drive (though I only made the round-trip drive once a week - I parked at a park-n-ride and biked around town to get around for the days I was in the office) when my wife and I relocated for a great job opportunity for her. My employer was gracious enough to allow me to work part-time in the office and part-time from home, but it ended up not being a great fit. Part of it was my personality not really fitting with the job and part of it was being away from home so much.

So, I found a great opportunity where I started a couple weeks ago, and now I have a ~5 mile commute. So, I'm back to tracking mileage my friends! As the weather in the northern hemisphere starts to cool off: keep on keepin' on everyone!

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »
Snow Ride!

It's the second snowfall of the year - I skipped the first because, well I didn't want to swap tires and only had my skinny's with slicks. Plus I think it's better to let driver's remember how to drive in snow while I watch from the bus.

My last year's good to -8C gloves were pretty chilly at -3...

But otherwise refreshing and not to overdressed :)

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 11:48:34 AM »
We had a wind storm yesterday, and it was a pretty epic ride home! I'm glad I don't go far, I probably would've chickened out and taken the bus instead. It was definitely a day to take the whole lane in traffic - you could easily get blown a foot sideways at times.

The blowing leaves left some welts on my arms, and I had grit everywhere! In my mouth, under my shirt, eyes!

Steady winds at 45km/h gusting upwards of +100km/h and swirling in all directions. I got home before it rained, but the rain was upside down, horizontal backwards...

TrMama

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 12:17:56 PM »
TL:DR Can you pull a trailer with a cyclocross bike? Or any bike with roadie handlebars? Does the handling get sketchy? I live in a hilly area and sometimes pull a heavy trailer full of groceries.

The long story is that I have 2 bikes. A fancy pants carbon road bike that I use for commuting and an old beat up hardtail MTB with 26" wheels that's used for errands, hauling the trailer and commuting on snow days (rare). My oldest has grown into the MTB and likes riding it. Which is great! Except now she can't come with me when I do a grocery run.

Also, the road bike is a little too fancy for commuting. I think I'd prefer one with disc brakes (the rim pads wear within weeks in the winter) and braze ons for a rack (I've developed a recurring back/hip issue from carrying my stuff on my back).

Option 1: Sell the road bike. Replace with a cross bike. ODD keeps the MTB.
Option 2: Get ODD her own bike. Keep both my bikes.
Option 3: Do nothing. Leave ODD at home on grocery runs.

vertkurt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 01:39:52 PM »
I've been riding 7 miles everyday 5 days a week for 2 years now. It feels good to not own a car and instead invest all of the money saved from no owning. All of my co-workers can't believe I ride everyday regardless of the weather. I'll admit though, the weather this morning was ONLY 33F. I'm sure its pushing in the teens already at 6AM for some folks on here.

jordanread

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 07:22:10 AM »
New challenge is up!! You can access it here. LizI, you may have an issue with your historical data. Just fill out the form again, but this time, only edit the sheet with your name on it. Once you've done that, let me know and I'll get your historical distances input.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 08:44:22 AM »
Teens! I wish verkurt :)

We have been below freezing in the mornings for quite some time, but today was probably the first time it was moist enough to have icy patches on the road way. We are also getting snow that will likely be here to stay. 5-10cm today, tomorrow and Friday with lows in the -17 to -19C range. That's about -2F.. I think... winter is here in the north!

Studs and lights are on, and the new winter route is ready and tested.

TrMama - I don't know if you can use drop bars and a trailer, I don't think I have ever seen it. But having brazeons for racks, and a sturdier commuter would definitely be my vote - I hate riding with a backpack.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!