Author Topic: October Cycling Challenge 2015  (Read 16855 times)

jordanread

October Cycling Challenge 2015
« on: October 01, 2015, 01:13:23 PM »
The October 2015 cycling challenge for is up and ready for you to start (or continue) riding!!
If you logged miles last month, and selected "Remember Me" on the form, you have been added to this month's sheet already.

If you didn't log miles last month, or are a new participant
Click here to fill out the form.

You can access the sheet directly at this link.

I can manually grab your historical data too, so if it's off, just let me know.  If they aren't there within a day, or you have any other issues with the sheet, hit me up via email, Google+ Hangouts, PM, or just comment on this thread.
Happy biking!!

Nancy

Re: October Cycling Challenge 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 04:35:34 PM »
Thanks, Jordan!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 04:58:35 PM »
I can manually grab your historical data too, so if it's off, just let me know.  If they aren't there within a day, or you have any other issues with the sheet, hit me up via email, Google+ Hangouts, PM, or just comment on this thread.
Happy biking!!

Not sure why, but my history shows
September = 193.07mi
current month = 45.2mi

These added together are close to my actual September numbers of 241.1mi, but not quite there.  Not sure how there is 7/100ths of a mile as the most granular I recorded is to the 1/10th of a mile.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 08:11:27 PM »
You should update the IRS $/mile to .575

http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/Standard-Mileage-Rates/

jordanread

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 08:35:15 PM »
Team, I'll take a look at all the recommendations and issues reported first thing in the AM. Thanks for all the feedback.

Salivanth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 06:33:56 AM »
I suppose I shall tell my cycling story for the day.

I went into town (25 km or 15.5 mi round trip) to get a better headlight for my bike and pick up some soft drink. Got the headlight; $40, rechargable, nice and bright, good deal. Soft drinks were on special, so I got 3 bottles; the most I thought I could carry with my cheap, $10 pannier.

Unfortunately, I was wrong. The third bottle was having a lot of trouble fitting in there. Like the genius I am, I decided I'd shove it in there anyway and hope for the best. I start riding, and after a few minutes I'm satisfied that the bottle isn't going to fly out of the pannier, get in the path of my front wheel, and cause a horrific crash. Unfortunately, the pannier appears to be moving around, like, a LOT. I stop to find out why...one of the handles has broken! I still have the plastic bag, so I attach two bottles to my handlebar via plastic bag. I keep going for a bit longer, only to find a weird sound coming from the bag.

Clearly, the bag is touching the wheel or part of the bike on occasion. I decide to stop as soon as I'm out of magpie territory. A wise move, as suddenly I feel a touch on the back of my helmet. Oh shit, it's a magpie. I'm not sure how unique to Australia these things are, but magpies are aggressive birds that swoop down on anyone who gets into their territory. Fortunately, they tend to go for my helmet instead of my face. I pedal like mad and look to my left to see the magpie's position by the shadows. It's RIGHT FREAKING NEXT TO MY FACE, so I keep pedalling, ignoring the whining noise coming from the bag, until one of the bottles falls out of the now shredded plastic bag. There's no time to go back for my fallen comrade; I'd be a terrible soldier.

Fortunately, the pannier is still able to bear two bottles of weight, even in a damaged state, so once I'm in the clear I shift the survivor back to safety and make my way home with no further incident.

I've learnt my lesson. From now on, I'm not going to buy the cheapest crap available. Doesn't mean I need to be buying expensive stuff, but I think paying a bit of extra money for the low mid-range stuff seems applicable, considering the sheer amount of times it has now come back to bite me in the ass and make me pony up for something slightly better anyway.

The headlight, at least, works brilliantly.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 08:46:17 AM »
Thanks Jordan.

jordanread

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 09:34:52 AM »
You should update the IRS $/mile to .575

http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/Standard-Mileage-Rates/

I went ahead and updated this. I know it actually reads $.58, but the actual number used in calculations is .575. Thanks for keeping an eye out. Apparently I haven't changed it from the 2014 numbers.

Not sure why, but my history shows
September = 193.07mi
current month = 45.2mi

These added together are close to my actual September numbers of 241.1mi, but not quite there.  Not sure how there is 7/100ths of a mile as the most granular I recorded is to the 1/10th of a mile.

Ohyonghao, it looks like the sheet was created before all the actual history was finished importing. At that point stuff just gets a bit wonky. Rerunning everything seems to have worked fine.

Thanks Jordan.
Thanks, Jordan!

You are all welcome.

[...]

One of my biggest shifts when it came to purchasing things (especially for bikes) was that a solid mid grade option is better than the super cheap stuff. While replacing it more often may sometimes make the most short term (ish) mathematical sense, the pain in the ass caused by stuff breaking on the bike is totally not worth saving a couple of bucks. It also has a tendency to turn people off from biking if it hasn't taken full root.

Oh shit, it's a magpie. I'm not sure how unique to Australia these things are, but magpies are aggressive birds that swoop down on anyone who gets into their territory. Fortunately, they tend to go for my helmet instead of my face. I pedal like mad and look to my left to see the magpie's position by the shadows. It's RIGHT FREAKING NEXT TO MY FACE, so I keep pedalling, ignoring the whining noise coming from the bag, until one of the bottles falls out of the now shredded plastic bag. There's no time to go back for my fallen comrade; I'd be a terrible soldier.

Here in the US, we have magpies, but holy crap they aren't nearly that aggressive. I now kind of feel like I'm missing out on a super exciting section of ride.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 09:41:39 AM »
I had a brilliant morning riding in to work.  That is, until a minivan decided that I didn't need the ENTIRE bike lane.  As the van passed me its tires were all the way into the bike lane and the van was only a couple inches away from me.  I could have reached out and touched it if I wanted to.  It's not like this is a super skinny street - there's not even that much traffic on it.  Either they wanted to scare me, or they were unable to see me with both my bike lights and my neon yellow reflective jacket.  It made me wish I had camera on my helmet.

Salivanth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 10:25:17 AM »
[...]

One of my biggest shifts when it came to purchasing things (especially for bikes) was that a solid mid grade option is better than the super cheap stuff. While replacing it more often may sometimes make the most short term (ish) mathematical sense, the pain in the ass caused by stuff breaking on the bike is totally not worth saving a couple of bucks. It also has a tendency to turn people off from biking if it hasn't taken full root.

Oh shit, it's a magpie. I'm not sure how unique to Australia these things are, but magpies are aggressive birds that swoop down on anyone who gets into their territory. Fortunately, they tend to go for my helmet instead of my face. I pedal like mad and look to my left to see the magpie's position by the shadows. It's RIGHT FREAKING NEXT TO MY FACE, so I keep pedalling, ignoring the whining noise coming from the bag, until one of the bottles falls out of the now shredded plastic bag. There's no time to go back for my fallen comrade; I'd be a terrible soldier.

Here in the US, we have magpies, but holy crap they aren't nearly that aggressive. I now kind of feel like I'm missing out on a super exciting section of ride.

They tend to be more aggressive when they have babies, i.e, spring. Since it's fall for you at the moment, if you wait six months you may get your chance :)

jordanread

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 10:51:31 AM »

They tend to be more aggressive when they have babies, i.e, spring. Since it's fall for you at the moment, if you wait six months you may get your chance :)

I've ridden through during that time. I have a sneaking suspicion it's because it's Australia. Way awesome place, way cool animals, and way awesome aggressiveness overall (except the people, super friendly. The animals rock as well). From an Australia perspective, is this as awesome for you as it is for me?

That's why I was glad when you recommended the pannier for me Jordan, I trusted it to not be crap even though it's so much cheaper than what was in the bike shop. Also why I was okay paying full price for a brand new bike instead of testing my luck on a used one, I didn't want to get a shitty one and hate biking just because I had the wrong bike

And you are rocking the riding! I hope the panniers (whatever model you decide on) work well for you. I've had a couple of crashes (and also once forgot to clip the bottom of the panniers on - I felt like I was flying because they are like wings when you go down a steep single track hill) and the only thing I have to say is that as long as you bend the clips back, they continue to work.

Salivanth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 12:14:39 PM »

I've ridden through during that time. I have a sneaking suspicion it's because it's Australia. Way awesome place, way cool animals, and way awesome aggressiveness overall (except the people, super friendly. The animals rock as well). From an Australia perspective, is this as awesome for you as it is for me?

It's pretty good, yeah. We have a lot of anti-immigration crap in Australia too. Considering the shit our ancestors did to the people who lived here when they showed up, we don't really have a leg to stand on. "Our ancestors stole this country fair and square, and we sure as hell aren't sharing it!" Jerks.

And yeah, our animals are pretty cool. There's loads of kangaroos where I live, so I frequently end up riding past them on my ride in and out. The only bad part is the smell of the dead ones when people hit them with cars.

Salivanth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 10:28:04 AM »
Hey Jordan; I seem to be having a technical issue. I tried submitting to the spreadsheet when I made my first post in the thread, and then tried again a day or two later. I don't think they're getting through. Is there any way you could put me in manually? Name is Salivanth, using km, ticking all the options.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 11:18:35 AM »
Yay bikes! My goal is to be riding 4-5 days a week at the end of the month.

jordanread

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 11:24:34 AM »
Hey Jordan; I seem to be having a technical issue. I tried submitting to the spreadsheet when I made my first post in the thread, and then tried again a day or two later. I don't think they're getting through. Is there any way you could put me in manually? Name is Salivanth, using km, ticking all the options.
I'll take a look at that today. You participated last month, right?

Salivanth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 11:34:35 AM »
Yeah, but I don't think I selected Remember Me last month. It was my first month, and I wasn't sure if I would stick with it.

jordanread

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 11:40:34 AM »
Yeah, but I don't think I selected Remember Me last month. It was my first month, and I wasn't sure if I would stick with it.
Yeah, I saw that. My guess is that you discovered a bug. I'll fix it when I'm at a computer later today. Sorry for the inconvenience.

jordanread

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 03:34:55 PM »
Okay, that issue was on me. My trigger did not install properly. Salivanth, I added you manually. jts and gmp029 were both affected by this as well. I have your sheets added now. However, jts and gmp029, you have not selected Remember Me. Your history will be saved, but you will need to fill out the form next month. If you want to keep it going, make sure you logged miles, and just let me know and I'll make sure you are automatically imported next month (or just fill out the form again next month - it will work, I promise). Salivanth, you will be auto imported moving forward, assuming you logged miles the previous month.

Happy riding all!!!

Butterfingers

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 02:06:01 AM »
First ride for a couple of weeks this morning – squally weather but not too challenging. Feels good when you realise the number of people who made it into work by bike is way down on the usual.

As the days are getting shorter we are coming to the time when I'll be commuting in total darkness. Now, I have hi-vis gear and lights, but I still feel vulnerable on the roads in the dark. Three different scenarios encountered during my rides: motorised traffic at 50+ mph, small winding country lanes with no lighting, and unevenly paved off-road paths. I have a front light bright enough to illuminate the road in front of me, which helps, but does anyone have any tips to make me feel more confident riding in darkness – either gear-related or in attitude/road-positioning?

jordanread

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 09:05:16 AM »
First ride for a couple of weeks this morning – squally weather but not too challenging. Feels good when you realise the number of people who made it into work by bike is way down on the usual.

As the days are getting shorter we are coming to the time when I'll be commuting in total darkness. Now, I have hi-vis gear and lights, but I still feel vulnerable on the roads in the dark. Three different scenarios encountered during my rides: motorised traffic at 50+ mph, small winding country lanes with no lighting, and unevenly paved off-road paths. I have a front light bright enough to illuminate the road in front of me, which helps, but does anyone have any tips to make me feel more confident riding in darkness – either gear-related or in attitude/road-positioning?

I've found that having one light for being able to see, and one light (usually flashing brightly) so that others can see me is a good combination. I ride a bit aggressively on the roads in the dark, but not everyone can do that safely. If you are too worried about riding like that, it's better to just remain consistent. I also try to ensure my gearing gives me room for relatively quick acceleration, but good enough on the speed to where I don't mess with the cars (too much). I don't remember who said it, but "the closer you look like a gaudy Christmas tree, the better".  Also, most tail lights are kind of crappy. If you are dealing with someone coming up on you at 50+ mph, you want to make sure you are visible a way back. Maker sure you have one that works as usual in the daytime, and they'll see it. Off-road paths, just a wide beam on your headlight, so you can see down the path in front of you, but also the ground in front of you. The light I mentioned above does good with that.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 10:25:50 AM »
I replaced the batteries in my headlight this morning, after a few days of it randomly turning off when I went over a bump in the path. It works properly again and it's brighter than ever! Thank you batteries.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 12:09:35 PM »
After just putzzing through last month only commuting I got back out on the road this weekend.  Introducing someone else to cycling is a great way to motivate yourself to keep going out.

Did a short 23mi easy, gentle climb on Saturday with my friend, then went out again for another 26mi ride on Sunday.  Felt great to be back out again and even flying down the hills felt easier than before.  Muscles are responding with soreness today, a small background reminder throughout the day that I was a badass over the weekend.

Butterfingers

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 12:53:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice, jordanread. More lights. MOOARR!

The light I mentioned above does good with that.
Above? Can't find the mention.

Salivanth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 03:34:07 AM »
Did my first night ride, commuting back from karate today, and also got 30.5 km (19 miles) for the day, a new record for me. Now that I can make the trip in and back, I should be able to do it twice a week, meaning that I'll only need to use the car once a week now. I didn't think I'd make progress this quickly; I only started a month ago.

The night ride was actually quite nice once I got past the streetlights and their bugs. Considering I made the trip into town at noon, through 30+ Celsius (86+ Fahrenheit) temperatures. Once the sun set, the temperature plummeted, which was quite a relief. I also managed to ride up the long uphill section near my house without getting off my bike for the first time, though my legs hate me now, and I needed about a litre of water and a 15-minute sit down before I felt human again. But hey, progress! I think it helped that I couldn't see exactly how far I still had to go.

I went to get road tires put on my bike, but the tires would have been $55 each, and apparently some $30 ones are coming in later this week. So I can save 50 bucks by waiting a week; seems like a pretty good deal. Kudos to the salesperson who actually told me this; I think I can trust my local bike shop now, since they told me this, and didn't try and sell me a new bike when I asked if my current bike would do the job I needed it for, despite it being a pretty crappy one. Naturally, I will gravitate to that bike shop for all future accessories, so I think they're going to do just fine in the end.

Cycling goals for this month:

Ride at least 200 km (125 miles).
Use the car a maximum of five times throughout October.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 05:19:20 AM »
I went to get road tires put on my bike, but the tires would have been $55 each, and apparently some $30 ones are coming in later this week. So I can save 50 bucks by waiting a week; seems like a pretty good deal. Kudos to the salesperson who actually told me this; I think I can trust my local bike shop now, since they told me this, and didn't try and sell me a new bike when I asked if my current bike would do the job I needed it for, despite it being a pretty crappy one. Naturally, I will gravitate to that bike shop for all future accessories, so I think they're going to do just fine in the end.

Although I can't fault you for supporting your LBS, I feel compelled to mention that nashbar.com has slick tires for almost any bike (mountain or road) for $15 each or less. For $30/tire, I'd expect to get Kevlar (or other puncture-resistant) reinforcement and reflective sidewalls.

Salivanth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2015, 05:53:05 AM »

Although I can't fault you for supporting your LBS, I feel compelled to mention that nashbar.com has slick tires for almost any bike (mountain or road) for $15 each or less. For $30/tire, I'd expect to get Kevlar (or other puncture-resistant) reinforcement and reflective sidewalls.

I appreciate the tip greatly, but I live in Australia, so that's not an option for me. $20 AUD tires (< $15 USD) wound up costing over $40 AUD each when shipping was included. That said, I'll shop around online a bit and see what I can find within Australia.

Nancy

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2015, 07:24:29 AM »
Nice, ohyonghao! I rode 25 miles over Saturday and Sunday, and I thought of your long rides and how maybe I'll get there someday. 

My rides were flat and beautiful- a path along the river and through trees. Wonderful reminder that I don't need to drive to find beautiful scenery/nature despite living in the city. 

jordanread

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2015, 09:25:25 AM »
Thanks for the advice, jordanread. More lights. MOOARR!

The light I mentioned above does good with that.
Above? Can't find the mention.

Apologies. It was actually last month. Below is my comment as well as TGC's recommendations.

I can give you my personal experiences with them. So one of my first lights recently was this combo, which is the one that showed bundled earlier. While the front light is bright enough to get attention during the day, the tail light isn't quite bright enough to do much of anything unless it's dark, which is fine if you have reflective gear. The headlight is relatively bright, but when I did a night ride through Garden of the Gods (Starlight Spectacular 2014 - no lights at all) I noticed that the way the lens works maintains a thin beam, and weird spots on the outside. Great for visibility of you, but not that great of visibility for you. The fact that they take standard AAA batteries instead of stupid CR2025 button batteries is nice. When winter was coming last year (insert GoT joke here), I knew that it wouldn't do for riding as early in the morning as I leave. So then I purchased this. The only bad thing about this is how slow it charges, the external battery pack, and the fact that it's a relatively proprietary AC adapter sucks. However, the battery life is pretty good, and the light is super bright and a nice wide beam. In the one run in that I've had with a deer at night, it wasn't quite bright enough to make it freeze, but it does a great job of providing visibility. This is my primary light to this day. And then, at some point, I acquired the headlight part of this combo. I have it strapped to my helmet, and on a couple of occasions when I didn't remember to charge my usual light, I had to use this one for night riding. I absolutely love the fact that they are USB rechargeable, and bright. I actually bought a set of these to replace the first light on my GFs bike. I did this primarily due to the rechargeable nature of them, and I'd rather she have them on during the day for each ride, and recharge when we get back.

Hope that helps.

I'm a big fan of Cygolite Metro (300 or higher) headlights and Cygolite Hotshot 2W taillights. I've gotten many positive comments from cyclist - and even drivers hailing me to ask what I had!

I've got 4 of each for me and the kids. Haven't done much night riding with them this year but we did a fair amount last year. They enjoy using the headlights as flashlights in the meantime, and the battery life is excellent.

On panniers it comes down to how much you care about:

1. Organization (if any)
2. Waterproofing
3. Ease of removal.

I decided I didn't care very much about #1 but cared a tons about 2&3 and got Ortlieb Classics, which are built to last but offer next to no internal organization.

I let my LBS guys read last month's thread while I was upgrading a few things on the bike. They were completely shocked at the aggressive nature of some bike shops and the upsell tendency of them all. I was a bit taken aback by it all as well, but something was mentioned that might be true (and explain the disparities of my experiences and those other people had). The sales people on the floor mentioned that a lot of time, the demeanor of the person has a lot to do with how they react (even though they agreed that the stories were ridiculous). Since I walk in (after biking there) asking questions, showing an interest to actually learn, and confident in my ability to walk away, they give me exactly what I need, and if there is something I can do on my own they will walk me through it. They also told me about a free bike clinic they do every week, so I'll probably go there, just to make sure I stay up on my skills, and can do damn near everything on my own.

Salivanth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2015, 11:30:29 AM »

I let my LBS guys read last month's thread while I was upgrading a few things on the bike. They were completely shocked at the aggressive nature of some bike shops and the upsell tendency of them all. I was a bit taken aback by it all as well, but something was mentioned that might be true (and explain the disparities of my experiences and those other people had). The sales people on the floor mentioned that a lot of time, the demeanor of the person has a lot to do with how they react (even though they agreed that the stories were ridiculous). Since I walk in (after biking there) asking questions, showing an interest to actually learn, and confident in my ability to walk away, they give me exactly what I need, and if there is something I can do on my own they will walk me through it. They also told me about a free bike clinic they do every week, so I'll probably go there, just to make sure I stay up on my skills, and can do damn near everything on my own.

Quite possible; all of the above applies to me as well. Plus, my LBS is in a small town. Repeat business is great, and a young person like me just getting into riding has the potential to be a very long-term customer. So I imagine they'd want to give me good advice over making a quick buck even if they were morally willing. And like you said, it's possible my demeanor says "I'm willing to walk away", because I am.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2015, 03:14:30 PM »
I had a weird experience today.  I biked to work this morning and then later in the day was walking across campus to go work out at the gym.  The most direct way to the gym takes me through the parking lot.  As I was walking, a car pulled up and matched my speed and rolled down the window.  Weird, but people get lost on campus all the time, so I stopped to see if they needed directions.  The older gentleman asked me which was my car. 

Okaaay, this is getting weirder.  Why does he care?  "I biked to work, so none of them are my car."  The gentleman seemed disappointed and thanked me for my time.  I continued walking for at LEAST two minutes before I figured out what it was all about.  All the parking spots where taken!  He was hoping I was leaving so he could take my spot! 

I can remember cruising the parking lot looking for ANY available spot.  But now I get to bike all the way to my office, I don't even think about how overfull the parking lot is!

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 08:39:20 PM »
One year ago today I was in Bruges on my honeymoon and it was my favorite place ever. This year, I settled for riding 16 miles to and from work in chilly, rainy weather which felt very Belgian. It'll have to do. Now, where do I get my hands on some frites and a good liege waffle?

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2015, 10:54:49 PM »
So I finally got around to updating last month's spreadsheet for my cycling during the second half of September (sorry, jordanread). It turns out I managed 201 miles even though I didn't start until partway through the month!

Also, back on the topic of bike lights:

I just bought one of these (to get here relatively soon) and one of these (on the slow boat from China). Sadly, I'm just too damn cheap to get the Bright Eyes version jordanread recommended (which is seemingly identical to the "slow boat from china" light, yet 4x as expensive, allegedly because of "quality"). I'll be the guinea pig to see if the cheap one works.

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2015, 10:56:46 AM »
Flat tire this morning. :(

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2015, 07:55:42 AM »
Now, where do I get my hands on a good liege waffle?

http://wafflewindow.com/

Scotch & CPA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2015, 05:16:30 PM »

I appreciate the tip greatly, but I live in Australia, so that's not an option for me. $20 AUD tires (< $15 USD) wound up costing over $40 AUD each when shipping was included. That said, I'll shop around online a bit and see what I can find within Australia.

I would check out Merlin Cycles and Wiggle. Both are out of the UK, but they tend to have free shipping offers. My favorite tires for road bikes are Continental Gatorskins. I think they're around $30 a piece on Merlin, and have great puncture resistance.

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2015, 09:39:02 AM »
w00t!
<boast>
Today marks the day on which I have lost 10kg since I started weighing myself weekly in july (10.7kg actually). Only 4.5kg to go until my target weight.
The 3158km that I have cycled to and from work this year sure had a lot to do with that :-)
</boast>

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2015, 12:19:38 PM »
w00t!
<boast>
Today marks the day on which I have lost 10kg since I started weighing myself weekly in july (10.7kg actually). Only 4.5kg to go until my target weight.
The 3158km that I have cycled to and from work this year sure had a lot to do with that :-)
</boast>

Congratulations!!  No small feat I say.  Keep up the awesome work and keep cycling!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2015, 12:42:05 PM »
Hells yes! Get this post over to the celebrations thread!

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2015, 08:16:19 PM »
Just checking in to say I really enjoy the monthly spreadsheet question, and reading through everyone's answers. Thank you for taking the time to do all this for us!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2015, 01:15:52 PM »
Putting the numbers in so far this month and comparing to last month I realize how lazy I was last month.  I have almost surpassed last months miles already.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2015, 04:25:59 PM »
Just checking in to say I really enjoy the monthly spreadsheet question, and reading through everyone's answers. Thank you for taking the time to do all this for us!

I'm so glad you said this!  I just assumed it was the same question as last month!  Clearly, I'm not very observant. 

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2015, 05:33:46 AM »
I wiped out on my bike yesterday for the first time in recent memory... tried to make a tight turn onto a path that I thought was paved - nope, gravel, bike out from under me. It wasn't too bad but I have some impressive-looking scrapes on my leg and hand.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2015, 07:38:19 PM »
Finally did my first bike commute of the month. I've been travelling some for work, and then my pump broke! I decided to try to set a PR on my way home today and beat my best time by 3 min. 25 sec. PR on a 5.2 mile stretch (thanks Strava). I shaved about 5 minutes off the whole ride, which means it only took me 20 minutes longer than driving. Not bad at all.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2015, 04:19:23 PM »
Finally did my first bike commute of the month. I've been travelling some for work, and then my pump broke! I decided to try to set a PR on my way home today and beat my best time by 3 min. 25 sec. PR on a 5.2 mile stretch (thanks Strava). I shaved about 5 minutes off the whole ride, which means it only took me 20 minutes longer than driving. Not bad at all.

That's fantastic!  Great work out there.

I just got a friend into biking to work and on the weekends.  It's been a great motivator for myself to keep it up.  He lives East of work, and I live South, but I've started riding towards his place with him first before turning south.  Took my 3mi commute and made it 14mi :-D.

Salivanth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2015, 07:49:42 AM »
Does anyone else find riding through town much easier than riding through countryside, mentally? I think it's the rapidly changing scenery and having to focus more on traffic, but even though my route is about 60% countryside and 40% town, it feels like I'm almost there when I enter the town, and on the way out, leaving town seems like it takes no time at all, even though it makes up nearly half of the total distance.

TrMama

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2015, 12:06:52 PM »
Ack, my bike commute was foiled for the 2nd day in a row by my 9yo. She gets sick to her stomach every time she gets the sniffles and this often causes her to throw up on the school bus. Which then results in me having to go pick her up from school. She was "sick" again this morning and I drove the kids to school rather than risking the bus.

She's been informed that if she can't get it together next week, she'll be buying gas for the car ;-). She looked appropriately horrified at this prospect.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2015, 10:28:48 AM »
I got a camera for my bike with the insistence of my wife due to an incident a week or so ago.  While riding to work a white truck decided that instead of using the empty second lane he should instead stay behind me and persistently honk, then when he does go around he then stops in front of me, waits for me to catch up then speeds off, twice.

Coincidentally the second day I had my camera another guy in a truck, very politely it seems, suggested that he didn't know that bikes could be on highways (despite this being a normal road, and that in Oregon bikes are allowed even on the interstates with a couple exceptions or otherwise stated).  He didn't try running me off the road or anything, but did suggest I use the sidewalk rather than make a left turn like I've done for the past two years.

Anyway, here is a video of my commute, put to royalty free music on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ErR7YOSNZ0

I'm working on the best way to show things, I also have one of a ride I did this weekend, but even at 4x it takes over 30 minutes to watch.  The above video is at 3x.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2015, 02:12:38 PM »
Can you hyperlink within documents in google drive? It'd be nice to be able to click on my name to go to my sheet rather than scroll for ages through the tiny-ass sheet sorter included in the spreadsheet software.

Also - damn, it's my first ride of the month and it's the 19th. I was on vacation, then sick, then still kinda sick. No wonder I felt so sore from the ride.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »
Can you hyperlink within documents in google drive? It'd be nice to be able to click on my name to go to my sheet rather than scroll for ages through the tiny-ass sheet sorter included in the spreadsheet software.

There are two icons at the bottom left corner of the interface. The "+" icon adds a sheet. The "four horizontal lines" icon shows the existing sheets in a standard drop-down (or in this case, pop-up) list that you can scroll through much more quickly.

jordanread

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2015, 03:39:38 PM »

Also - damn, it's my first ride of the month and it's the 19th. I was on vacation, then sick, then still kinda sick. No wonder I felt so sore from the ride.

There are alleged ways of doing it, but nothing I've been able to handle. Jack's comment is probably the best. I am super familiar with Google Spreadsheets, and that still makes life easier.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!