Author Topic: October Cycling Challenge 2014  (Read 20387 times)

SweetTPi

• Stubble
Re: October Cycling Challenge 2014
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2014, 04:25:35 PM »
I got a flat.  In the rain.  That wasn't in the forecast.  *Grumbles and walks away*

TrMama

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2014, 04:36:09 PM »
So in a bid to lose some excess weight that snuck up on me when I experimented with home brewing earlier this year (thanks, MMM), I've been counting calories using an app called MyFitnessPal. The app tells me my daily commute burns nearly 600 cal which then allows me to eat a reasonable amount of food. Without the commute (or any other significant exercise) I can apparently survive on the same number of calories as a small rabbit.

Guess who's finally found the motivation to bike commute every single day?

Who else has had a win this month?

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2014, 05:42:19 PM »
First ride in sub 70-degree weather in months... (probably 5 or 6 of them at least).  Felt nice.  =)

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2014, 08:59:27 AM »
Wow - I can't imagine!

We've been in the 30s in the mornings for 6 weeks or so now, but at least it's been warm and sunny going home... if you count 60- 65 as warm. Next week we will probably be solidly below freezing for my morning commutes :(

jordanread

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2014, 09:45:50 AM »
You guys are all rocking it!! I'm sucking big time this month. Gotta get myself out of this funk I've been in lately.
Keep up the great work!

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2014, 09:50:47 AM »
Wow - I can't imagine!

We've been in the 30s in the mornings for 6 weeks or so now, but at least it's been warm and sunny going home... if you count 60- 65 as warm. Next week we will probably be solidly below freezing for my morning commutes :(

I hear you!  Last week I got wet quite a few times in addition to the chilly air.  This week has not started any better.  However, these low to mid 40s are getting me toughened up for the winter ahead. 

Gonna have a beer and tire studding 'workshop' soon with my (only) winter biking buddy. 

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2014, 05:44:10 PM »
Next week we will probably be solidly below freezing for my morning commutes :(

This is what I can't imagine!  Good luck! 

usmarine1975

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2014, 07:08:26 AM »
Stayed up late watching a movie with the wife for our anniversary and slept in this morning.  Two days without biking ugh.  Although I did pick up a nice Trail along bike for my son  yesterday.  Anxious to bike with him a little more as he grows.  Got a Giant brand for $50.00 off CL.  Think I did ok.  Family took great care of it and had all the paperwork including original receipt.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2014, 05:24:35 PM »
Did 16 miles RT with my 7 and 8 year olds today (4 year old in the trailer, but we'll be doing a trail-a-bike soon). Love this time of year!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2014, 06:48:29 PM »
Did 16 miles RT with my 7 and 8 year olds today (4 year old in the trailer, but we'll be doing a trail-a-bike soon). Love this time of year!

Wait your 7 and 8 year olds biked 16 miles?? That's impressive!

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2014, 11:18:02 AM »
Very impressive Goblins!

I bought my studded tires this weekend, and with flurries last night I was almost regretting my decision not to have them put on right away! Luckily I woke up to dry pavement this morning and 32F (warmer than predicted). Tomorrow though is supposed to be 23F (-5C), the coldest we've seen yet and I think that will warrant another layer.

We were notified last week that we are moving from our satellite office in suburbia to downtown mid-november... my commute will get a little longer, and a lot hairier. Not looking forward to learning how to bike in the snow and ice and in downtown traffic!

JTW158

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2014, 11:49:59 AM »
Hey all,

My brother told me about this site when I went to visit him a few weeks ago. I have found a lot of the posts helpful and I have been trying to get into steady bike commuting with some success.

I signed up on the forms and maybe it will keep me a little more accountable. My goal is No car November, I can do it but I am sure it will be a struggle.

TrMama

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2014, 12:02:41 PM »

Holy cow! That's a lot of riding for kids that age. Heck, that's a lot of riding for most adults. Maybe it's time to upgrade their nickname to Warriors or SteelLegs or something . . .

usmarine1975

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2014, 12:07:32 PM »
Picked up a 3 bike car rack for $20.00 on CL  It's a Bell Brand.  Now when we need to transport bikes I don't have to try and stuff them in the trunk or back of the truck.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2014, 02:42:02 PM »
My goal is No car November, I can do it but I am sure it will be a struggle.

Welcome and happy riding!

Holy cow! That's a lot of riding for kids that age. Heck, that's a lot of riding for most adults. Maybe it's time to upgrade their nickname to Warriors or SteelLegs or something . . .

Heh. I know it's a huge number compared to others, but maybe because we've worked on it so gradually it doesn't seem all that crazy to me. They just cracked 100 miles for October today :)

jordanread

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2014, 02:43:19 PM »
My goal is No car November, I can do it but I am sure it will be a struggle.

Welcome and happy riding!

Heh. I know it's a huge number compared to others, but maybe because we've worked on it so gradually it doesn't seem all that crazy to me. They just cracked 100 miles for October today :)
Goblins: making me look bad since 2014.

Hannah

• Stubble
    • Cookbook Authority
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2014, 06:59:18 AM »
Friday is Halloween, and it will be my little guy's first time trick or treating. Any bike themed costumes (or baby in a bike seat costumes) that you guys can think of? I have to bike three miles to get together with our trick-or-treating friends. We will probably go to about six houses and then go home, so everything will be in the light.

So far my only ideas are ET (but the seat is in the back, and I don't have a basket), and Evil Kenieval, and I don't really have the equipment for either one of those.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2014, 07:25:32 AM »
Friday is Halloween, and it will be my little guy's first time trick or treating. Any bike themed costumes (or baby in a bike seat costumes) that you guys can think of? I have to bike three miles to get together with our trick-or-treating friends. We will probably go to about six houses and then go home, so everything will be in the light.

So far my only ideas are ET (but the seat is in the back, and I don't have a basket), and Evil Kenieval, and I don't really have the equipment for either one of those.

Evil Knieval sounds great - especially if you can mock-up a cape. 

How about this:  Does he have a yellow shirt that can pass for a yellow jersey?  A diaper under some dark shorts/pants can be his padded bike shorts and he can be the leader in the Tour de France. 

usmarine1975

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2014, 10:00:36 AM »
Over 200 miles this month again.  Yea.  Ok just one complaint.  I now can not go without wearing a belt.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2014, 10:44:34 AM »
Over 200 miles this month again.  Yea.  Ok just one complaint.  I now can not go without wearing a belt.

Good "problem" to have! Just wait until you get to the last hole on the belt and need to punch new ones :P

Hannah

• Stubble
    • Cookbook Authority
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2014, 10:51:53 AM »

How about this:  Does he have a yellow shirt that can pass for a yellow jersey?  A diaper under some dark shorts/pants can be his padded bike shorts and he can be the leader in the Tour de France.

Great idea for the tour de France leader jersey. In addition to a yellow jersey (which I will happily color with a TDF logo), he has a pair of sunglasses, a toy lion, and black shorts so his costume is set. I am going to try to find a plain white jersey to fill with red dots so that I can wear the other famous jersey.

I'm excited now. I haven't had a bike incorporated into my costume since I had an ill-conceived "Do" Pun costume (I was DUI, my friend was dew-drop, another was Mountain Dew, and another was Nike) that was 7 years ago!

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »

Great idea for the tour de France leader jersey. In addition to a yellow jersey (which I will happily color with a TDF logo), he has a pair of sunglasses, a toy lion, and black shorts so his costume is set. I am going to try to find a plain white jersey to fill with red dots so that I can wear the other famous jersey.

I'm excited now. I haven't had a bike incorporated into my costume since I had an ill-conceived "Do" Pun costume (I was DUI, my friend was dew-drop, another was Mountain Dew, and another was Nike) that was 7 years ago!

Sounds awesome.  Would love to see pics when you're done! =)

georgialiving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2014, 06:54:41 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm hoping to join the November challenge. I stopped riding at about five months pregnant and now she is six weeks old! Im ready to start riding again! I carry my two year old in a burley and can't figure out any safe way to fit in the baby so young. So I'm hoping to arrange quick rides during her naps since she won't take a bottle.

I just have to get a tune up first! I'm awful- I bought my bike two years ago and have never done any type of maint. Until my dad came down and asked why I didn't grease the chain. I didn't even know I was supposed to..

Anyway sorry to ramble- just excited to see this thread because I really miss it, it will all be recreational since I don't work outside the home

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2014, 06:59:44 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm hoping to join the November challenge. I stopped riding at about five months pregnant and now she is six weeks old! Im ready to start riding again! I carry my two year old in a burley and can't figure out any safe way to fit in the baby so young. So I'm hoping to arrange quick rides during her naps since she won't take a bottle.

I just have to get a tune up first! I'm awful- I bought my bike two years ago and have never done any type of maint. Until my dad came down and asked why I didn't grease the chain. I didn't even know I was supposed to..

Anyway sorry to ramble- just excited to see this thread because I really miss it, it will all be recreational since I don't work outside the home

Others can correct me, but while it's not considered okay in the US, in Europe I believe it's common to use a front sling while biking. You'd obviously need to take it slow, and adjust your saddle height for a more upright position.

Some bike trailers can safely accept an infant carrier. I've also seen people do this with bakfiets, but a 'fiets is a big investment here in the States when they're so expensive.

jordanread

« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2014, 07:01:28 AM »

We'll be happy to have you. Can you put a car seat or something inside the burley? There are some products out there for infants, but I think you'd have to replace them too often.

Ha! I was just typing out that maybe TGC had some insight, but he beat me to the punch.

Hannah

• Stubble
    • Cookbook Authority
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2014, 08:07:19 AM »

I saw a woman in Minneapolis carrying a baby in an Bjorn (Front Pack). The baby was a little older, so she had some head stability, but the baby was still a wee thing. Maybe 10 weeks old.

My brother in law would take their son out in a hiking backpack while biking at about age 3 months. I wouldn't have been comfortable with that though.

Be sure to plan out your first few rides for minimum distance and maximum safety. It took me a long time to recover to the point of cycling even without a baby, and I didn't start adding the little guy until he was 11 months old.

georgialiving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
October Cycling Challenge 2014
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2014, 09:54:37 AM »
I could fit the car seat, but then there wouldn't be room for my toddler. I feel pretty great, she is 7 weeks not six whoops! I started lifting again, and I generally feel like my old self.

I think there is a baby insert but it's fairly expensive, and I remember my toddler being fine without one at about 9 months. So not too long until I can take the baby with us on rides. Until then I'll just stay within a couple miles so if my husband calls I can come right back

georgialiving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2014, 09:57:34 AM »
I could put the carseat in the burley and add a seat to my bike for the toddler- but I hate the idea of spending money on it when I won't need it in about six months

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2014, 09:59:51 AM »
I could put the carseat in the burley and add a seat to my bike for the toddler- but I hate the idea of spending money on it when I won't need it in about six months

Buy one used on CL, sell it for the same price when done. Net cost zero.

Even if you must buy one new, compared that with the cost of driving.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2014, 12:48:38 PM »
Just a heads up guys - the template doesn't seem to be set up to tally your 10/31 biking miles into your totals, so you'll have to edit it

spirotot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2014, 12:58:29 PM »
My bike just came in the mail yesterday. Assembled it last night. Planning to start commuting to work on it Monday. PUMPED.

This spreadsheet looks awesome.

jordanread

« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »
In starting on the new spreadsheet now. Should be up in a bit.

jordanread

« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2014, 08:17:43 PM »

Hannah

• Stubble
    • Cookbook Authority
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2014, 02:14:47 PM »
Thanks for the bike inspired Halloween costumes.

In true toddler fashion, my child did not want to wear much of his costume. This is what remained of the costume after taking two minutes to find my camera. What was lost? Sunglasses, a front Tour De France patch, and a lion. Oh well, he had fun, and so did I.

PS Halloween is a great night for an evening bike ride.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2014, 02:38:12 PM »
Too cute!  Love it =)