Author Topic: October Cycling Challenge 2014  (Read 20383 times)

jordanread

October Cycling Challenge 2014
« on: October 01, 2014, 10:14:04 PM »
The new sheet is up!! I slacked off a bit, so the persist bit doesn't work yet. That means you all need to fill out the form.

Want to join the challenge? Click here!!!

Once that is done, you can access your data at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16l01qaZdoZyau-U01WM9fWVlHEWW9hW5Lr6Zsx9Gm74/edit?usp=sharing

I'll update with some super fun stats tomorrow!!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Re: October Cycling Challenge 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 07:09:11 AM »
Hey I think there's something wrong with my spreadsheet. I specified to use miles and not kilometers, but when I enter the miles, it treats it as kilometers in the total mileage count.

jordanread

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 07:12:55 AM »
Hey I think there's something wrong with my spreadsheet. I specified to use miles and not kilometers, but when I enter the miles, it treats it as kilometers in the total mileage count.
I'll take a look in a few. Thanks for the heads up

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 07:18:56 AM »
Heh I fixed it myself, but perhaps there's a bug in the way the form creates the spreadsheet?

jordanread

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 07:25:02 AM »
Heh I fixed it myself, but perhaps there's a bug in the way the form creates the spreadsheet?
I'll check it when I get on an actual computer. It sounds like a bug I addressed last month, but maybe I forgot to update the base template.

usmarine1975

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 07:44:51 AM »
Joined once again, this is my favorite challenge.  Hoping I can beat last month's miles.  212 miles on the bike.  Not bad for my 3rd month of riding.

Dyk

• Stubble
  • Starting late, w/ a family, but get out of the way
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 08:01:17 AM »
Jordan,

First thank you.  As you check the miles/kilometer thing, another small item is that the formulas stop on the 30th.  Who know where I might want to bike for candy on the 31st!

Nice work, I appreciate the monthly sheet so very much.

jordanread

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 08:23:36 AM »
Jordan,

First thank you.  As you check the miles/kilometer thing, another small item is that the formulas stop on the 30th.  Who know where I might want to bike for candy on the 31st!

Nice work, I appreciate the monthly sheet so very much.
Yeah, I noticed that. I'll get it all fixed.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 08:25:39 AM »
Thanks once again!

Nancy

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 08:48:11 AM »
Thanks so much, Jordanread!

jordanread

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 09:36:35 AM »
All right. Looks like I left a bit of legacy code in there. I went through and fixed all of the sheets that needed it, as well as the template. This time I even remembered the master, so we won't run into this again. Let me know if you have any more issues. Happy Cycling!!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 10:44:05 AM »
Thanks a bunch jordanread!

jordanread

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
To everyone thanking me, you are all very welcome!! It's a pleasure to be able to use my powers for good. :-)
I did notice a bug with some of the historical data, so I'll get that updated as well. It is inspiring watching how people progress (and totally a facepunch for me, since I suck at consistency).

Now for some stats!!

We had 50 people participate in September. Not a record, but a great turnout nonetheless. We actually almost matched the entire population of the Pitcairn islands. If we all went to the capital city there, we'd outnumber the people who live there!!

We covered 7,141 miles this month. Not only does that mean we can circle the moon (plus I bet hills would be easier), but comes close to the upper recorded limit of the non-stop flight of the Bar-Tailed Godwit.

Had we driven this distance in an SUV, we would have burned 142,800 lbs of C02. This comes pretty close to the maximum amount of weight a Turnpike Double can carry.

We had 4 people break 400 miles, and almost half of all participants broke 100 Miles.

Personal accomplishments (I may take some creative liberties here):
  • Usmarine and his SO just brought a future biker into the world, so congrats there.
  • TheGoblinChief's goblins almost broke 100 miles!!
  • 13owie set a new personal speed/time record
  • TRMama had a chain break, and something go wrong with the rear rear derailleur. Did this stop her? Nope. Did she call for a ride? Nope Only 50% of the time! She ran the rest of the way...on her feet!!
  • It looks like just less than half of us managed to do some rain/wind riding this month.

Overall another wonderful month. Happy Cycling!!!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:02:27 PM by jordanread »

TrMama

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 11:42:44 AM »
Thanks, Jordan! You rock.

FTR I did actually call for a ride on the day the chain broke. I was about 10km from home and I had evening activities to get to. I did however walk/coast about a km to a less congested area to make it easier for DH to get to me. Just saying . . .

jordanread

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 12:02:39 PM »
Thanks, Jordan! You rock.

FTR I did actually call for a ride on the day the chain broke. I was about 10km from home and I had evening activities to get to. I did however walk/coast about a km to a less congested area to make it easier for DH to get to me. Just saying . . .

I fixed it. :-)

crapula

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 04:11:29 PM »
Thanks again, Jordan!

I always love the random facts splashed in last month's summary.  I can imagine you sitting there, looking at our mileage total from last month, and thinking to yourself, "You know, this reminds me of the Bar-Tailed Godwit."

jordanread

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 04:18:24 PM »

Thanks again, Jordan!

I always love the random facts splashed in last month's summary.  I can imagine you sitting there, looking at our mileage total from last month, and thinking to yourself, "You know, this reminds me of the Bar-Tailed Godwit."

The stats are fun. With all the fun facts I know, sometimes it's easy. Other times, I must practice my Google-fu. Glad you enjoy them. I feel like it's my small part of getting people out there and on their bikes.

prefrontalfinance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 11:15:53 PM »
fun stats. ready to get back to commuting every day, bit longer now too. we'll see how many total miles I log this month.

Hannah

• Stubble
    • Cookbook Authority
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 05:28:39 AM »
TheGoblinChief's goblins almost broke 100 miles!!

My goal this month is to beat the goblins- this will require me to do some weekend commuting using the bike rather than the car. My regular weekly commute isn't going to get me to this level.

Nancy

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 06:22:13 AM »
Awesome, Jordan! TIL what a Bar-tailed Godwit is.

TeresaB

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 12:43:27 PM »
I just signed up for the first time! I don't expect to reach any records, but I'm hoping this is motivating.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 05:16:25 PM »
Thanks for the new month jordan, my ankle is mostly healed up so I think I'll be back in the saddle soon! Last month was terrible for my wallet and my waistline.. :(

This month will be seeing some lifestyle changes!

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 07:03:55 PM »
In for the month... now if I can just keep from getting injured again I should be able to hit close to 400!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2014, 06:36:36 AM »
Checked the radar before my morning commute. Holy crap the western part of my state is getting snow right now! It's getting to that time of year folks. According to the almanac folks (or so I'm told, I don't believe that shit) we're supposed to have another hard winter.

It's brisk out here. Won't snow but I'm definitely wearing my outer shells for the rain and packing my balaclava. This is also reminding me to consider buying the thicker two-piece balaclava Russ recommended to me last winter, just in case we do get sustained sub-zero temps.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2014, 10:27:26 PM »
Checked the radar before my morning commute. Holy crap the western part of my state is getting snow right now! It's getting to that time of year folks. According to the almanac folks (or so I'm told, I don't believe that shit) we're supposed to have another hard winter.

It's brisk out here. Won't snow but I'm definitely wearing my outer shells for the rain and packing my balaclava. This is also reminding me to consider buying the thicker two-piece balaclava Russ recommended to me last winter, just in case we do get sustained sub-zero temps.

Wow. Where I live it's going to be highs of 80s this week. I'm really glad I started my cycling habit here where it's warm and doesn't rain that much, so I can really get into the mindset and fitness level of biking around everywhere, without being discouraged by the weather.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 07:13:19 AM »
Hey thanks for The constant improvements on this challenge JR.. This month I'm hoping for 400 km even if I have to bike around the block 😄 Just to pad numbers!

jordanread

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 11:17:42 AM »
Hey thanks for The constant improvements on this challenge JR.. This month I'm hoping for 400 km even if I have to bike around the block 😄 Just to pad numbers!
Last month, my gf got stuck at a red light, so I ride in circles until she got caught up. As long as you're riding, it's still legit.

SweetTPi

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 07:15:21 AM »
Amazing how much faster one can go when watching a light display headed their way!  I cut 5 minutes off my normally 25 minute ride today, watching the thunderstorms head my way.

How do you guys handle commuting when there are thunderstorms in the forecast, but not yet present?  Such as, it may be clear for the morning, but thunderstorms are possible in the afternoon?

For the record, I don't have an SO to call for a ride, so that option is out.

jordanread

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 07:45:14 AM »
Amazing how much faster one can go when watching a light display headed their way!  I cut 5 minutes off my normally 25 minute ride today, watching the thunderstorms head my way.

How do you guys handle commuting when there are thunderstorms in the forecast, but not yet present?  Such as, it may be clear for the morning, but thunderstorms are possible in the afternoon?

I just ride really fast. If it looks like it's going to be really bad, I have the flexibility to leave early if I need to, or I can stay late, too. Other than that, it's just an exercise in badassity.

Dyk

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 07:49:55 AM »

SweeTPie:  First note:  I have a short commute, ~3 miles each way.  If it's raining in the morning, I wear 'rain gear', and pack my clothes in a garbage bag in my backpack and change at work.  If it's clear in the morning, but potential rain during the day, which is exactly today for me, then I pack a raincoat and sandals for the ride home.  I figure I can dry my pants out when I get home, but my shoes probably would not be dry for the next day, so those and my phone, wallet etc. all go in a garbage bag in the backpack.  This has worked out great for me.

At the end of the day, people have a really strange phobia of getting wet in their clothes, and I can't figure it out . . . . As long as you have somewhere to dry off and change, who cares?
(I'll have time to dry out when I retire!)

SweetTPi

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2014, 08:33:13 AM »
At the end of the day, people have a really strange phobia of getting wet in their clothes, and I can't figure it out . . . . As long as you have somewhere to dry off and change, who cares?
(I'll have time to dry out when I retire!)

It's not really so much an issue of getting wet, as the possibility of high winds, possible hail, and things falling from trees.  There's not too much of a threat of tornadoes here (at least compared to when I lived in OK), and jordanread is right, I could try waiting it out at work if it's a fast-moving storm.

usmarine1975

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2014, 08:38:58 AM »
I have been lucky to only get wet twice in the 3 months that I have been riding.  Either I have driven on rainy days or it rains when I am not riding and stops when I need to ride.  I had once thunderstorm, Lightning really was my only concern and high winds with tree's blowing down.  But I would face either of those in a vehicle as well.  Maybe not to the same degree but in my 20 some years of driving I have never had a tree or a branch come down on my vehicle during a storm.  Lightning hasn't hit me either.  I just get wet and ride for the wind.  I do agree it makes you pedal faster and your time improves.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 08:54:41 AM »
I'll pack gear if it's in the forecast. I don't mind my head getting wet, but cold rain can really chill your torso. I got caught in one without gear and got wet so fast I was shivering.

A rain jacket and sandals unless it's below 50ish F, in which case rain is too cold for sandals. I'll wear rain pants and boots if it's a cold rain.

And lights! Lights are important when it's raining.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2014, 10:10:07 AM »

I just ride really fast. If it looks like it's going to be really bad, I have the flexibility to leave early if I need to, or I can stay late, too. Other than that, it's just an exercise in badassity.

This for sure.  Summer where we live pretty much means an average of 80% chance of rain sometime between noon and midnight EVERY DAY, peaking right around the time I leave to go home.  I just check the weather in the afternoon and aim for a 30 minute window sometime between 4:30 and 6:30 where the chance of rain is < 60% and go as fast as I can. 

Sometimes it sucks and I get caught in a storm and if there's no lightning or bad winds ride through it.  A few times I've pulled over in parks or under business awnings along my route to wait it out since the afternoon storms move pretty quickly. 

I also have gallon sized ziplocs that hold anything I REALLY don't want to get wet - electronics and wallet, etc.  The rest of everything gets bagged in plastic grocery bags inside my backpack and stays mostly dry even the few times that I have come home looking like a drowned rat. 

Dyk

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 10:14:35 AM »
It's not really so much an issue of getting wet, as the possibility of high winds, possible hail, and things falling from trees.

First, please don't think my getting wet comment was directed at you SweetTPie.  It's because people at my work look at me so strangely when I bike in the rain, even though 5 minutes later I am dry and sitting at my desk.  I just noticed you lived in TN.  My company has a plant in the E of TN, so I understand that the storms you have there can be quick and intense.  Now that I think about it, I have been through a few there and they were crazy, I would not want to be in a bike during them, waiting out would definitely be the better option.  (I don't really have that option, with 5 kids at home, my wife is looking for me quickly after quitting time!)

Thegoblinchief makes a great point, especially at this time of year ..... I'll probably have to experiment with boots as it gets colder.  (I may go to sandals and socks for the dry out factor, and I'm over 40 so I don't care what I look like anymore ....)

Lot's of good options to avoid that 3 letter bad word.  CAR!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2014, 10:15:42 AM »
Mrs Pop- get good quality WP panniers and everything stays dry! They're spendy, but I love my Ortliebs so far.

JPinDC

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2014, 11:15:47 AM »
Just started bike commuting a few days a week, so I'm in for my first cycling challenge!

usmarine1975

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2014, 11:49:08 AM »
Welcome I am on month 4. Its been a great ride.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2014, 12:02:23 PM »
Mrs Pop- get good quality WP panniers and everything stays dry! They're spendy, but I love my Ortliebs so far.

Thanks!  I'll look into them.  Currently waiting for my bike benefits to refresh at the start of the year since my Kevlar tires used all the 2014 funds already before making any more improvements to the bike, but panniers or a new basket were on the "want list" for 2015! 

jordanread

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2014, 05:33:16 PM »
[...]  Currently waiting for my bike benefits to refresh at the start of the year since my Kevlar tires used all the 2014 funds already before making any more improvements to the bike, but panniers or a new basket were on the "want list" for 2015!

The fact that you get bike benefits makes me so mad and happy at the same time. Sad that I don't have them, happy that they are a thing.

Anyway, I was thinking of switching the "most interesting comment" thing to something else. I'd love to do pictures of your badassity, but I'm open to suggestions. What do you think?

I still think this is one of my favorites as far as pictures go (totally stolen from reddit/bikecommuting]:

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2014, 07:03:42 PM »

I just ride as usual, throw clothes in a plastic bag and double check my lights are well charged. I live in a city so if it gets real bad I can pretty much stop and seek shelter at any point if needed. If it is raining and I'm on day care duty that day (which is the case 60-70% of weekdays) I will bring a bike trailer instead of using a bike seat.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2014, 07:08:54 PM »
[...]  Currently waiting for my bike benefits to refresh at the start of the year since my Kevlar tires used all the 2014 funds already before making any more improvements to the bike, but panniers or a new basket were on the "want list" for 2015!

The fact that you get bike benefits makes me so mad and happy at the same time. Sad that I don't have them, happy that they are a thing.

$20/month in reimbursements.  We just started it in June this year and it's pretty sweet.  =)

Hannah

• Stubble
    • Cookbook Authority
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2014, 05:53:08 AM »
Over a week into the challenge, and people have had snow, rain, and wind to contend with, but no reported injuries yet this month! I just wanted to congratulate everyone on their safe riding thus far this month!

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2014, 06:37:20 AM »
Over a week into the challenge, and people have had snow, rain, and wind to contend with, but no reported injuries yet this month! I just wanted to congratulate everyone on their safe riding thus far this month!

Duly noted!  Fortunately, this cyclist has not had to contend with the white stuff...yet.  Also, after only getting wet twice (by rain) in 2014...I got wet three trips in a row this week!  I guess my luck has done the opposite of dry up? 

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2014, 06:58:56 AM »
I would have snapped a picture a couple weeks ago, except my phone's lens cover is cracked, making pictures not terribly pretty. But damn, it was quite a sight: foggy morning with BRIGHT sunshine, creating "god rays" all over the place. Super pretty.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2014, 08:34:05 AM »
I startled 3 deer on the bike path at around dawn this morning :)
You don't see that from your metal cage on the bridge over the ravine!

I bought new headlights (1000 lumen) so I got up early to bike in the dark and try it out. It was about freezing this morning - and my breath looked awesome in my new headlight...

JPinDC

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2014, 08:37:59 AM »
$20/month in reimbursements.  We just started it in June this year and it's pretty sweet.  =)

I'm trying to encourage this (and pre-tax public transit benefits) at the school where I work. Any advice for how to get administration on board?

jordanread

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2014, 09:16:09 AM »
I bought new headlights (1000 lumen) so I got up early to bike in the dark and try it out. It was about freezing this morning - and my breath looked awesome in my new headlight...

I just bought this 1200 lumen light now that the Starks are right. I broke my light when I got lazy and tried to put the bike in a car. My fault, but I'm glad I found this light.

I'm trying to encourage this (and pre-tax public transit benefits) at the school where I work. Any advice for how to get administration on board?

Apparently the $20 tax benefit is federal law. I found this link to have some good information.

And since management usually prefers pictures, I'd suggest showing them something like this:

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2014, 09:59:33 AM »

Ours happened when our small company joined a PEO to take advantage of larger pools for insurance purposes - the PEO offered it as a standard benefit, so we started getting it. 

usmarine1975

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2014, 10:21:11 AM »
This week will be a low mile week.  A breakfast to far away to bike, 2 Dr's appointments and things to pick up.  Only 1 day to ride bike this week.  I will make up for it next week.  Hopefully get 5 days of riding in plus a 20 mile fun ride that Saturday.  I will do what I can to break 200 miles this month as well.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!