Author Topic: October Cycling Challenge!!!  (Read 7618 times)

StashinIt

• Stubble
October Cycling Challenge!!!
« on: October 03, 2013, 09:16:34 AM »
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvFvGQgkkFLldHJTVmpaYWxpeFJ6OG1MVGVqTl9uNnc

Last month we cycled a combined 6,951.6 miles (10,986.2 km) for our second biggest month to date! The record is 8,511.2 set this April and with the temperature changing this may to our last chance for a while to raise the bar even higher!!!

So break out your lights and warm clothes the October Cycling challenge is on!!!

Come one, come all! Invite your friends, enemies, past participants, strangers, ANYONE!! Give others a little motivation to get out there and enjoy the world around them :-)

and there is the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvFvGQgkkFLldHJTVmpaYWxpeFJ6OG1MVGVqTl9uNnc

wing117

• Stubble
Re: October Cycling Challenge!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 09:31:29 AM »
Already putting numbers in! Thanks for putting it together!

My goal is 313 miles - biking to work every day this month! I have to show we don't need two cars to survive. :)

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 09:38:38 AM »
Sprained ankle (but glad I was able to contribute to the September numbers!).

Good luck to all and enjoy the fall weather!

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »
Thanks stashinit!

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 06:03:29 PM »
40ish so far!

young_one

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 08:18:36 PM »
October has been quite the bust so far. Riding home on Tuesday I was noticeably slower and my rear brakes sounded very abnormal (rubbing) when braking. After a late night inspection, i found that at least three of my spokes were very loose which had caused some bending in the tire as well.

I took the bike into the shop as I have never worked with spokes before. I also purchased my bike at Performance Bike so this is covered under the free care. Unfortunately I don't get my bike back until Friday at the earliest, so I have been clowning it around town.

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 08:53:01 PM »
I'm busting my own excuses, one by one:

August: the "it's too hot" one became irrelevant as I learned to leave early, pack a wash cloth, extra shirt, and bottle of deodorant

September: the "it's raining" went out the window, as I learned to wear a rain jacket, carry a set of dry clothes, and deal with it; and the "I have to get heavy things at the grocery store" was decimated as I lost my fear of pulling a trailer

October: the "it's a freakin' long ride on the days I have to go to the other side of town after work" will go spinning down the drain, as I'm getting stronger and faster; and the "I have to carry my fiddle on these days" will *poof* disappear as I will investigate a fiddle case I can carry on my back more comfortably (my current one gives me nasty blisters and obstructs my view making riding with it unsafe).

That's the plan, anyway. :)

Nancy

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 08:10:22 AM »
Thanks stashinit!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
thanks for getting it started, stashin it! i'm aiming for at least 100 miles this month! that's about 2 commutes a week, plus a joy ride or two, so it should be doable.

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 04:04:29 PM »
Thank you for setting this up! My logged kilometers show up as miles in the summary, which although it looks good, gives me a false contribution rate to the october tally. How do I fix this?

wing117

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 09:08:08 AM »
Thank you for setting this up! My logged kilometers show up as miles in the summary, which although it looks good, gives me a false contribution rate to the october tally. How do I fix this?

Mrs. WW, I went ahead and added the km to miles conversion to the Total Badassity line on your sheet (in Cell B35) since the Master Summery works from miles and then calculates km (Miles*1.60934). I also added another line on your sheet so you can see the actual sum of kilometers you're putting in.

tl;dr It should calculate out correctly on the Master Summary sheet now!

Hemlock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 01:03:00 AM »
Biked far enough today that I felt like joining the Cycling challenge. 30 miles. :)

It was a good physical and mental test actually...

Stopped at a light, and there were some college age guys in a car. They taunted me a bit so I wished them a good day.
They talked to each under their breath for a while....(I should have know that was a bad sign). I continued to just ignore them.

When the light turned green, they threw a drink at me. Being idiots, they mostly missed so I was mildly wet.

I actually wasn't pissed off, which I'm rather proud of right now... no point allowing them to affect me.

Little while later, they actually waited for me again and just shouted "Sup, homie." being the creative Shakespeares that they are.
I simply ignored them and went on my merry way.

It does give me a bit of pause about safety in the future, but I do try to keep things in perspective.

Anyhow, hello all. ^_^

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 08:46:28 AM »
Welcome Hemlock, 30 miles is great fun, even if punctuated by amusing interactions with idiot car clowns. Sounds like you responded in very fine Mustachian style. More discussion on this topic here:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/cycling-hate!/

Similar things happen to me every once in a while, though the other day some guy on the street just asked "Aren't you cold" in a very friendly neighborly way. Moral of the story--many more decent and respectful folks out there than the kind of folks in your story.

Nancy

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 07:40:57 AM »
I broke 100 miles for the first month ever! Whoop whoop!

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 08:06:39 PM »

Great job! You've been really consistent every month ;-)

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 06:05:23 AM »
ahhhhh!!!  It was snowing on my way in today! 

Have we got any cyclists that are going to try riding in the winter for the first time this year?

TickInTime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 06:57:19 AM »
I just noticed this thread and thought I would give you all a bump!   468 more miles added!

wing117

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 07:12:24 AM »

Have we got any cyclists that are going to try riding in the winter for the first time this year?

That's me! I have to prove I can ride through winter before we get rid of the second car. :)

I've had a lot of work from home days this month for different reasons (not complaining) so I didn't ride nearly as much as I was hoping.

Nancy

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 07:34:02 AM »

Great job! You've been really consistent every month ;-)
Thanks, StashinIt!! It's getting easier, and I'm still having a blast.

scottydog

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 06:49:33 PM »

I'm tempted...  I've picked up studded tires for our cargo bike so I can try taking the kids to daycare & kindergarten as much as possible.  Not sure how it'll go with Montreal drivers if the snow banks get up over 4-5 feet, but I figure I'll just take it one day at a time and see how it goes.

Luckily on Monday morning it was raining over here instead of snowing.  This is my first semester biking every day, and the wet and cold aren't nearly as bad as I'd feared.  It's definitely addictive!

destron

• Bristles
    • Mustachian Financial Calculators
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 07:30:58 PM »

This is my first year (since college) cycle commuting at all -- I've been doing it since late May and I intend to continue doing it all winter. Seattle has relatively mild winters so it won't be difficult, and my work provides me with a free bus-pass that I also use. Hell, it would be easier to ride the one bus to my office than cycle but I enjoy mandatory getting up and moving twice a day five times a week!

young_one

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 09:43:56 PM »
This is my first year riding in "winter in San Diego."

I purchased a pair of tights to keep me warm during the morning. My main enemy is the sun. November-January will have a lot of dark rides to and from work.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 04:20:32 AM »
Hit 200 for October.  Loving the riding!  I am amazed at the number of joggers on the multi-use trail I use that run with no lights and most with no reflective clothing after dark.  Last night riding home in the dark, there were several folks I only just barely could see until they were right in front of me.  Yikes!

wing117

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 05:29:38 AM »
Hit 200 for October.  Loving the riding!  I am amazed at the number of joggers on the multi-use trail I use that run with no lights and most with no reflective clothing after dark.  Last night riding home in the dark, there were several folks I only just barely could see until they were right in front of me.  Yikes!

Holy cow, this right here gets me. I've even thought of bringing a bunch of clip on lights and passing them out, but that's costly.  My early morning ride is filled with joggers in dark cotton, non-reflective clothing an hour before sunrise (I ride in at 6am). The first few times it was dark out in my morning ride I darn near hit 4 of them each day. One person refuses to use the right side of the MUP (uses his/her left side). I know to watch out for them now, but dang.

Once I get skinnier tires and a rigid fork (converting the mountain bike more to a commuter/tour), I'll probably venture out onto the road instead of the MUP to avoid the pedestrians.

I'm lucky that I live in a town where if there's snow 50 miles north of us, our city closes down "just in case". :)

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 05:51:01 AM »

Holy cow, this right here gets me. I've even thought of bringing a bunch of clip on lights and passing them out, but that's costly.  My early morning ride is filled with joggers in dark cotton, non-reflective clothing an hour before sunrise (I ride in at 6am). The first few times it was dark out in my morning ride I darn near hit 4 of them each day. One person refuses to use the right side of the MUP (uses his/her left side). I know to watch out for them now, but dang.

Once I get skinnier tires and a rigid fork (converting the mountain bike more to a commuter/tour), I'll probably venture out onto the road instead of the MUP to avoid the pedestrians.

I'm lucky that I live in a town where if there's snow 50 miles north of us, our city closes down "just in case". :)

Bold for emphasis.  I encounter this as well - shocked to see bike commuters with NO lights and NO reflective gear.  Also, people walking their dogs and jogging.  It is rare to see someone really brightly attired, although I saw a jogger yesterday morning that caught my bright-as-fuck 1000 lumen light and almost blinded me with their reflectivity!  I complimented the jogger on their awesome attire!

wing117

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 06:13:23 AM »
Ottawa,

1000?! Hot damn. I'm running 240 lumens and it's enough to catch a reflector and show my trail, but 1000 lumens is impressive! I've been looking for a high lumen lamp for a while as I ride in the dark every day now but don't want to spend toooo much money on it. I need it to be water proof, though.

Any suggestions?

This morning I came across another cyclist that I swear had two 1000+ lumen lights. One on his bike and one on his head. The things destroyed my night vision and I had to slow waaay down while my eyes adjusted back to my 240 illumination.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 06:22:25 AM »
Ottawa,

1000?! Hot damn. I'm running 240 lumens and it's enough to catch a reflector and show my trail, but 1000 lumens is impressive! I've been looking for a high lumen lamp for a while as I ride in the dark every day now but don't want to spend toooo much money on it. I need it to be water proof, though.

Any suggestions?

This morning I came across another cyclist that I swear had two 1000+ lumen lights. One on his bike and one on his head. The things destroyed my night vision and I had to slow waaay down while my eyes adjusted back to my 240 illumination.

Not sure where you live...but, in Ontario Canada, I got my light for under $100 delivered from http://illustrateworks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=65

Of course, you could grab the 2200 lumen one if you wanted to bike as the crow flies by incinerating everything in your path!

I've had it for almost 2 years.  No issues.  The beam is fairly focussed...I bought a second one a year ago for my wife's commuter. 

I wear it on my helmet for off-road mountain biking because I find that my bike goes where I look.  This is a good thing...

With commuting, I put it on the handlebars aiming slightly right (away from oncoming traffic).  I don't think I blind people by doing this.  I find the light also grazes the ground which shows me bumps and lumps to avoid...particularly in the winter - the white covering is hard to read without seeing shadows. 

wing117

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 05:18:10 AM »
Thanks Ottawa! I'll take a look at those. I'm in US, North Carolina. Just rode in this morning in 66F (18.8C) weather. Not bad. :)

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2013, 09:06:35 AM »
66F is too hot! :) It was a perfect ride 6:30 this morning, 45F, calm, cloudy, and not many people out.

Also +1 to having thought about carrying extra clip lights to hand out to suicidal bikers & joggers... WTF is with these people?

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2013, 11:24:30 AM »
My last ride of October was WINDY! The headwind slowed me down to half my usual speed in some parts on my way home.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!