Author Topic: Stop checking the stock market in October  (Read 5737 times)

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
Re: Stop checking the stock market in October
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2019, 07:15:39 PM »
I almost threw it all away this afternoon because I was bored to tears on a conference call, but I pulled it together and stayed the course.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2019, 09:45:51 PM »
I almost threw it all away this afternoon because I was bored to tears on a conference call, but I pulled it together and stayed the course.

Nice self control!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2019, 06:58:34 AM »
Day 28: Success
Day 29: Success

philli14

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2019, 07:18:19 PM »
One day to go!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2019, 08:16:26 PM »
Day 30: Success

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2019, 06:42:07 AM »
I admire you guys not checking the stock market.

Checking the SP500 number from a public website is still better than logging into a trading account in which you can make costly investment decisions.

But props, low-information athletes!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2019, 07:07:07 AM »
Final day, Happy Halloween!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2019, 04:38:28 PM »
You guys have inspired me. I'm going to do this in November. My tracking spreadsheets be damned.

Feel free to talk about October tomorrow. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts when you see how it went.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2019, 07:38:02 PM »
Happy Halloween and good job to those of you who made it!

philli14

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2019, 08:07:02 PM »
Thanks! Will check tomorrow and comment on what I missed (or didn't miss).

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2019, 07:21:11 AM »
Day 31: Success!

I've noticed various posts talking about the stock market positively and when I pulled prices in my accounting software (doesn't require me to actually look at the prices) I did notice my net worth moved up. Alright, so let's take a look, I'm assuming we're at 3000+. Yesterday's close was 3037.56. Cool. And the 30th was 3046.77, a new high. Neat. A little anticlimactic, I guess, as that is only a 2% change compared to the end of September. A good month, for sure, but nothing mind blowing. Ignoring the stock market insulated me from a couple ~3% dips last month, so that was nice to not think about.

The headlines that came up when I checked were pretty amusing. Two from MarketWatch, one saying the market is going up and another saying why it went down. Useless news.

I am quite happy with this experiment. I am going to try and only check the S&P 500 with purpose and sparingly going forward and I'll do it in private browsing mode so I don't get it suggested when I am casually browsing.

ddoren

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2019, 08:16:02 AM »
Woo hoo!  Congratulations to all of you (us) that made it.  Thinking about trying again in November

philli14

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2019, 09:56:23 AM »
Yesterday's close was 3037.56. Cool. And the 30th was 3046.77, a new high. Neat. A little anticlimactic, I guess, as that is only a 2% change compared to the end of September. A good month, for sure, but nothing mind blowing. Ignoring the stock market insulated me from a couple ~3% dips last month, so that was nice to not think about.

I am quite happy with this experiment. I am going to try and only check the S&P 500 with purpose and sparingly going forward and I'll do it in private browsing mode so I don't get it suggested when I am casually browsing.

You summed up my thoughts exactly. A fun little experiment. Thanks for the inspiration.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2019, 03:40:00 PM »
How did you guys update your networth reports in October, if you couldn't look at your investment accounts?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2019, 04:06:08 PM »
How did you guys update your networth reports in October, if you couldn't look at your investment accounts?

I did log into my investment accounts a few times but I just grabbed number of shares for transactions and didn't pay attention to price (I have pretty much no reference point for prices of specific mutual funds/ETFs anyway). For updating net worth I use GnuCash so it's just a matter of clicking the "Get Quotes" button and voilà the Net Assets number will be brought up-to-date without seeing any of the numbers behind the scenes.

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2019, 04:37:35 PM »
Oh shoot, I checked yesterday evening after all the trick-or-treaters had receded so I could update my spreadsheet.  Meh - I will call it a success as I didn’t just google VTSAX every day at work. 

Pleasantly surprised at the results since I recall September being full of talk about recession - and October is usually, as far as I remember, a bad month for markets.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2019, 05:40:16 PM »
I just saw this thread, so I am totally not checking the stock market in October! ;)

philli14

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2019, 06:40:16 PM »

All my accounts linked to Mint, and it generates a net worth figure without me having to look at individual account values, let alone stock prices.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!