Author Topic: November Weight Loss & Mindful Groceries Month!  (Read 2438 times)

SproutingStacheHK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
November Weight Loss & Mindful Groceries Month!
« on: November 04, 2018, 01:19:39 AM »
After a really successful October in weightloss - thanks to neophyte's challenge - I'm keen to keep the momentum going!  What worked for me last month was joining my weightloss aim with a desire to get my grocery bill under control.  So my challenge to myself is: mindful and careful shopping, mindful and careful eating. 

My goals are: 1) Keep groceries cost under HK$1800 (US$225). 2) Lose 4 kgs (9lbs).

My plan is roughly planning out my meals and shopping only for what I need for these meals; using what I have in the cupboard before buying something new; and counting the calories of my daily food.  I'm not changing my diet in any radical way; I'm just not eating too much of a normal range of foods. And to keep grocery costs down in HCOL Hong Kong, no processed foods!

Would anyone like to join me?

OK! We've got:

SproutingStacheHK: 4kgs / 9lbs
TheMoose: 7lbs
Goinganon:9lbs
neophyte: 4-5lbs
jlcnuke: 7lbs
Sockigal: 6lbs
Cookie78: 4lbs
middo: 2kgs

Good luck everyone!  I'm aiming to do my first check-in on Saturday.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 06:32:29 AM by SproutingStacheHK »

TheMoose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: November Weight Loss & Mindful Groceries Month!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 02:31:32 PM »
I'm in for 7 lbs! I'll be able to weigh in tomorrow. Thanks for getting this started.

Goinganon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 02:57:20 PM »
I’m in for another 9 lbs. I just barely made my goal of 9 lbs in October. I’m hoping that it won’t be such a close call in November.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 06:10:37 AM »
I'm in!  My goal is to be 150 lbs (4-5 lb loss) by the end of the month and get back into a pattern of working out. I fell off the workout wagon over the past 2 weeks.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 06:27:47 AM »
I'm hoping to lose at least 7 lbs this month. I weighed 219.7 lbs on the 1st.

Sockigal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 06:32:41 AM »
I'm in for -6 pounds this month and for trying to cut down on my crazy high grocery bill. There are four of us with lots of food allergies. But eating the foods we already have in the house is a good method to cut back. My freezer is full right now. I like the idea of being mindful. Just thinking ahead and planning ahead really helps with weight loss and cutting costs.

I've lost 110 pounds already over the last year, but have been in a complete stall the last two months or so. I did break my shoulder in a bike accident late September and had to have surgery, which hasn't helped. I'm ready to get back in the game! Would love the support and to support others!

SproutingStacheHK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 06:35:54 AM »
Sweet!  Well done all - those are significant goals!  I'm completing my October dietbets (found this little hustle on another MMM forum page) - I sailed through for last month - I think I'll roll some of the money over into new bets to help keep me on track this month. My big aim is to be under 100kgs (220 lbs) by the end of the year - this month's 9lbs will get me within striking distance if I can pull it off.  So far, so good.

Sockigal - 110lbs!  You're an inspiration!  I hope I can say something similar a year out from now. 

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 07:51:33 AM »
I was going to start slowing down to something more sustainable for me and aim for -2 pounds this month, but it seems I'm already almost there. So maybe I'll stick with -4 since that's been working pretty well.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 08:08:07 PM »
I'm in.  I was down to 93.7 kgs at the end of October.  I want to lose another 2 kgs by the end of November, so my goal is 91.7 kgs.  That should make under 90 achievable by Christmas.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 09:07:48 PM »
How's everyone doing so far?

I went on a 12 mile hike yesterday (yay) and then I'm sure I ate it all back today (boo)!

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 09:38:38 PM »

I went on a 12 mile hike yesterday (yay) and then I'm sure I ate it all back today (boo)!

I had my birthday last week.  My step mother provided me with a very rich chocolate cake and some chocolates and a wine as a present.  The cake is gone, but I am up to 94.6 from 93.7 kgs.

This just makes it harder.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 06:58:20 AM »

I'm down almost 3 lbs so far. 4 to go... plus the holidays...

Goinganon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 05:04:05 PM »

I’m down 5 lbs so far, which puts me at just over half way there. My motivation has been missing this past week. I’m trying to get it back so I can finish up the month strong.

SproutingStacheHK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 04:37:06 PM »
Good on you with that hike, neophyte!

I'm down 4kgs (nearly 9 lbs) since the start of the month - most of that is due to a sudden burst of exercise last week walking around the city with my parents, who arrived for a visit, and were super excited to help keep me on track - and a sudden 1.4 kg drop this morning after a 5-day plateau due to coming down with a bad flu yesterday (an unwanted present from mum, I think!).

Never mind your .9 up, middo - it'll come right off again once you're back on the wagon.

15 days to go!

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 07:23:10 PM »
Yikes! Only 15? And Thanksgiving is in there?

I'm still struggling with motivation. I'm trying out a new strategy. I switched my myfitnesspal to "maintain," so now "calories remaining" for the day should be approximately my deficit. Hopefully that will inspire me, but I'm already starting to tell myself "well, as long as you don't gain for the rest of the year, you can lose again in January."

I made a cake tonight for my roommate's birthday on Saturday, and I'll make one this weekend to take to work next week for 2 birthdays there. Then Thanksgiving. Then the Christmas parties start! Ugh!

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 05:44:09 AM »
My Thanksgiving guests are out of the house now and I feel like I can get back on track.  I'm not even going to check my weight today but based on my eating the last couple of days I should probably be happy if I can end the month the same place I started it.

SproutingStacheHK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 11:22:01 PM »
There's still time to get back on track!  (I'm glad I escaped Thanksgiving eating here in Hong Kong...)  Four more days to go to the end of the month!

SproutingStacheHK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 07:46:45 PM »
Wow - November's gone!  The time zoomed by at the end there.

My final tally: 6.7kg/14.5lbs.  Yay!  Although this achievement was mostly some good losses early in the month, and then getting a nasty flu in the middle - I've plateaued hard over the past week.  I have exactly 2.6 kgs to go to get below 100kgs - which I'm determined to be by Christmas. 

And groceries were pretty good, too - only one expensive shop when I was really sick for some comforting pots of yogurt and special bread, which I've forgiven myself for on account of being sick, and on account of managing to avoid the sweets/chocolate/chips sections.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with myself!  How did everyone else do?

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2018, 09:04:51 PM »
I was out of town yesterday and I couldn't weigh myself so I'll weigh in in the morning. I suspect I managed to lose the Thanksgiving weight and end the month about where I started.

Goinganon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2018, 06:08:52 AM »
My goal was 9 lb. I lost 8. Not quite where I wanted to be, but still not bad.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2018, 03:33:30 PM »

I had my birthday last week.  My step mother provided me with a very rich chocolate cake and some chocolates and a wine as a present.  The cake is gone, but I am up to 94.6 from 93.7 kgs.

This just makes it harder.

I ended the month at 95.7 kgs.  We had a couple of weeks where I couldn't weigh myself, that coincided with a death in the family.  Looks like I comfort ate (as did my wife).  Hoping to get back into the downward direction this week.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 06:53:39 AM »
I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you're starting to feel better.

November was a wash for me. Time to get back on the horse... I'd love to lose some weight in December but I'm not sure that's a realistic goal. I think I'll settle for trying not to gain and working on getting back into the habit of working out in the mornings. If I can do it now, it'll only get easier for me once the days start getting longer.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 03:33:39 PM »
I'm hoping to lose at least 7 lbs this month. I weighed 219.7 lbs on the 1st.

I hit 212.9 on the first of December. I'm shooting for 6 lbs lost this month.