Author Topic: November Cycling Challenge!!!  (Read 6335 times)

Nancy

November Cycling Challenge!!!
« on: November 05, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Am6vo25oYklGdHFib3NxX21ZcFJCQ1NiVmZTc0NudGc&usp=sharing

I'm not sure if I did this right, but here's the spreadsheet for the November Cycling Challenge. Last month, we biked a total of 6,066 miles! Keep it up!

destron

• Bristles
    • Mustachian Financial Calculators
Re: November Cycling Challenge!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 09:16:40 AM »
Thanks, Nancy. Wow, that's quite a few miles.

IMO, we have saved far more than $11,000 by biking because the total cost of driving is much more than just the fuel. Let's try and beat October!

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 03:42:33 PM »
November, here we go!

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 09:52:47 AM »
Thank you Nancy!

For me it was the first snow of the season last night to stick at all, but mostly melted from the roads/paths in the city. We got just enough to layer the trees and remaining leaves and make the world beautiful!

TrMama

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 11:58:10 AM »
I'm in!

I've been thinking that I need to keep track of how often I bike to work so I can make sure I stay within the 6 days/month my car insurance "allows" me to drive  to work.

wing117

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 06:28:21 AM »
Thanks Nancy! Just put in my miles so far! I'm interested to see what the holiday season does to us this month.

I'm also super stoked about the time change recently so I have some light on the road in the mornings!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 09:19:39 AM »
Thanks, Nancy. Wow, that's quite a few miles.

IMO, we have saved far more than $11,000 by biking because the total cost of driving is much more than just the fuel. Let's try and beat October!

Someone should add this to the Google doc that is tracking us all to $500K in savings (from all of us).

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 07:21:52 AM »
Thank you for doing this. Happy riding everyone!

JessieImproved

• Stubble
    • Jessie : Improved
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 07:48:26 PM »
Just added myself to the list.  I just am getting back into riding after having my kids and surgery, so this is definitely the motivation I need to build my strength back up!  Right now I'm getting off the bike to hoof it up hills, but it won't be long before I don't have to do that anymore.

wing117

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 12:46:22 PM »
I feel like we lost a lot of riders this month! Only 20 active members so far??

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 07:32:05 PM »
For those of us in the northern hemisphere, it's getting cold! Might explain the drop in participation.

I'm still assembling my winter biking gear but so far we've gotten down to ~30F and I've been just fine. I am nervous about black ice & slippery road conditions (especially in the moderately cold, freeze-and-thaw type of winter we tend to have where I live). But even if I only bike on dry days, it's still better than nothing...

wing117

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 05:10:30 AM »
That's very legitimate. I am actually taking a break today as my winter gear is getting drop-shipped to me today. It was 23 degrees out this morning and my knit cotton gloves and blue jeans just weren't going to cut it. :)

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 06:56:14 AM »
Hi, All. New to the forums, and this looked like a good place to throw off the moorings. I've updated the spreadsheet with my info.

13owie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 07:30:44 AM »
Hi Everyone! I started commuting by bike in July but only saw these challenge sheets last month.  I updated Jul-Sept this morning from my own log, so that's the reason the prior months' totals have increased in case that matters to anyone. Onward!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 08:27:55 AM »
ooh I should get back on this... kinda dropped off the map tracking-wise while I was in school. I've still been riding though! Backfilled my miles for this month.

wing117

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 09:22:32 AM »
Yeah! Welcome (back)! My cold weather gear is here, so I'm back in business myself! Hoping to do an extended ride this weekend.

baniak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 09:24:25 AM »
This is my kind of challenge! I biked today for the first time in a while, and hope to keep it up through the Chicago winter. I will add my name to the list! Thanks for setting up this challenge!

somepissedoffman

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 06:31:18 PM »
Just getting back on the bike after a few weeks out with an injury, this should be good motivation.  Shooting for doing my commute on bike every day.  Good luck all!

TrMama

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 12:57:56 PM »
Rode home last night in the dark. With first driving hail and then freezing rain. So totally not fun.

What baddass conditions has everyone else dealt with this month?

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 06:21:21 PM »
It has been really mild in Minneapolis so far this November. Almost 50 degrees F this morning so I had to shed a bunch of layers. Only a light dusting of snow and a couple 20 degree F + windy days. Snow in the forecast for tomorrow night though.

wing117

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 12:28:05 PM »
Pretty mild here too. We got down into the upper 20's one morning, but had no rain or anything. Work has been keeping me from riding recently (business trips, etc...) so that has sucked. :\

Hatawa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 12:02:50 PM »
We've had it pretty mild here too - upper 30s for the entire month of November - in Russia! They say it's been the warmest Nov in 300 years.
Not sure how many miles I did, should start keeping track and join the monthly challenge.
Just now I saw a real badass guy though - biking in the snow. He's got one leg! He had a crutch attached to the bike frame. Inspiring