Author Topic: November Burpee Challenge  (Read 6944 times)

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
Re: November Burpee Challenge
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2018, 08:13:45 AM »
Glad to hear you are feeling better. I got 35 in today.

Are you (still?) doing yours in one set?  Without push-ups I feel like I'm hitting a lactate threshold in my legs around that # of reps.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2018, 09:04:03 AM »
I did my 14 for the 14th, throwing in a few pushups as well b/c my shoulders are feeling ok.

The past 2 days I've been feeling notably stronger/better.  I'd really like to work up to 30 and then stick with it more or less permanently as a way to break up the sedentary hours of my typical work day.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling stronger!

I'm totally with you on keeping burpees (and/or possibly some alternatives to keep things interesting) in the rotation beyond November.  I hope to be FIRE'd -- or at least FI and working PT -- in the next few years, and after that I would ideally like to work toward a more active lifestyle for the rest of my life.  But for now I think establishing a daily exercise habit is really important to offset my lazy instincts that are only reinforced by my sedentary job.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2018, 09:08:23 AM »
Glad to hear you are feeling better. I got 35 in today.

Are you (still?) doing yours in one set?  Without push-ups I feel like I'm hitting a lactate threshold in my legs around that # of reps.

I’m still doing 35 in a row. Since I’ve been doing them for close to a year now, just doing 10-15 doesn’t do much for me. I have to get closer to 25 reps before I start to get tired.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2018, 10:22:27 AM »
I’m still doing 35 in a row. Since I’ve been doing them for close to a year now, just doing 10-15 doesn’t do much for me. I have to get closer to 25 reps before I start to get tired.

On one hand I'm envious of your fitness level.  On the other, it's nice to get a good workout after only 10-15 reps  :)  I guess the good news is that even 35 reps probably only takes a couple minutes.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2018, 11:48:32 AM »

On one hand I'm envious of your fitness level.  On the other, it's nice to get a good workout after only 10-15 reps  :)  I guess the good news is that even 35 reps probably only takes a couple minutes.

Lol. Hopefully that didn’t come off like me bragging. I can do them with good form in about 3 minutes.

It’s hard to include nuance when you are responding from your phone :)

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2018, 12:42:33 PM »
Lol. Hopefully that didn’t come off like me bragging. I can do them with good form in about 3 minutes.

Hah!  No, I wasn't reading it that way.  I think 35 in a row is pretty impressive though!  I can't wait to get there myself.  :)

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2018, 12:58:10 PM »
Nov 15th, 30 reps: 10 each morning, afternoon, right before bed.  No push-ups/pull-ups.

Nov 16th-18th: ill, 0 reps, hope to get back to it today

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2018, 02:38:08 PM »
I fell behind and didn't get to do any over the weekend, but I got my 35 in today.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2018, 02:39:28 PM »
As I approach the 20th, I'm thinking I might just top out at 20 reps per day for the rest of the month.  I'm starting to feel some strain in my knee ligaments when I do more than 6 reps at a time; and when my chronic pain condition acted up yesterday, I was not sure if the burpees were exacerbating it.   I'm pleased that I've definitely gained some strength in the quads, though.  May be best not to push it until I'm sure I'm conditioned to do 20 reps every day.  Plus, between the holidays and travel and some medical procedures I have coming up in Dec, I think I won't stick to 30 per day during that month even if I am able to maintain it.  I'll just aim for 20 per day the rest of Nov and Dec.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2018, 03:35:32 PM »
I fell behind and didn't get to do any over the weekend, but I got my 35 in today.

I felt annoyed that I was too nauseated to do burpees all weekend, but it softens the blow to see others missing them as well.  :)

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2018, 03:48:07 PM »
As I approach the 20th, I'm thinking I might just top out at 20 reps per day for the rest of the month.  I'm starting to feel some strain in my knee ligaments when I do more than 6 reps at a time; and when my chronic pain condition acted up yesterday, I was not sure if the burpees were exacerbating it.

That's really smart.  Little good is likely to come from doggedly sticking with something that's hurting you.  I had to do this (remove push-ups) earlier in the month when my right (then left) shoulder was hurting.

I've started to regret committing to doing these every day without rest.  Especially as I get older, I find that 1-2 rest days between sets is really important for progress in my bodyweight exercises while avoiding injury.  I should have assumed burpees would be the same way.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2018, 04:30:37 PM »

I felt annoyed that I was too nauseated to do burpees all weekend, but it softens the blow to see others missing them as well.  :)

Sorry to hear you didn't feel good over the weekend :P

My schedule got thrown off by work. I got home late on Friday when I normally do them. I was going to catch up on Saturday, but I ended up taking an unexpected trip out to my parents house instead. My dad couldn't figure out to reset his Apple ID password, my mom needed her tires inflated, and they needed their lawn mowed one last time before the snow starts to fall. My dad normally does that but he has been recovering from a double bypass and hip replacement he had done over the summer. I've been trying to help them with chores they can't physically do, and technical stuff they can't figure out on there own. Sunday, I just said f*ck it :) I was tired and wanted to loaf around the house.

I'm hopeful that staying in better shape will help me avoid my dad's fate. He's 66 but moves like he's in his 90's because he took such poor care of himself when he was younger.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2018, 09:20:00 AM »
I had to do this (remove push-ups) earlier in the month when my right (then left) shoulder was hurting.

A small suggestion if you are feeling joint issues while doing push-ups. I find that when this starts happening to me, I can change the type of push-up I'm doing and the pain usually goes away. Once new pains arise, I switch back. The two variations I typically use are elbows pointed out (probably about 45 degrees) and elbows pointed back (with my hands positioned closer to my feet). I do push-ups on my knuckles, and these two variations have my palms pointing backwards and palms pointing inwards, respectively.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2018, 05:40:54 AM »
35 in the bag this morning.

I normally don't do them on consecutive days, but I might do some tomorrow in preparation for all the trash I will be eating over the next couple of days :D

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2018, 08:12:42 PM »
Nov 19th: 10 reps in the afternoon.  First reps since recovery from weekend illness -- felt awful (very weak)
Nov 20th: skipped it because of the previous day's experience, and I just wasn't feeling great
Nov 21st: 10 reps in the afternoon, 10 reps early evening, 10 reps late evening

Today was the first day since last Thursday that I met my goal.  I took the reps very easy, and I was relieved that my stamina is +/- close to normal.  I need to get back on a schedule so the burpees just feel like a normal part of the routine again.  Getting sick is really lousy, but I'm thankful it was only for a few days.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2018, 10:23:47 AM »
I'm doing all my reps without push-ups now, to spare my shoulders.

Nov 22nd, 30 reps across three sets of 10 in the morning
Nov 23rd, 48 reps across two sets of 24, one in the morning, one in the evening
Nov 24th: 30 reps (three sets of 10 throughout the day)
Nov 25th: 40 reps (four sets of 10 throughout the day)
Nov 26th: 30 reps (three sets of 10 throughout the day)
Nov 27th: 30 reps (three sets of 10 throughout the day)

I'll have to go back and see if I accumulated enough extra to make up for the few days I missed while sick.  If not I'll try to squeeze in the extra reps over the next 3 days.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2018, 02:35:33 PM »
I got sick last week too. I didn't do any burpees for 7 days. Today is the first day I've felt decent so I did 35 when I got home.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2018, 06:52:49 PM »
I'm topping out at 20 per day, and I'm going to try to stick with it through 1 Jan 2019 at least. I skipped Thanksgiving entirely, and skipped 5 reps on a couple of days where my chronic pain was acting up and the jumping was aggravating it.  I'm pleased it's getting easier, though, so this was a good challenge for me.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2018, 06:33:48 AM »
Nov 28th, 35 reps: 15 before breakfast, 10 before lunch, 10 before bed

I got sick last week too. I didn't do any burpees for 7 days. Today is the first day I've felt decent so I did 35 when I got home.

Ouch!  Sorry to hear that, but kudos for hitting 35 on your first day back.

I'm topping out at 20 per day, and I'm going to try to stick with it through 1 Jan 2019 at least. I skipped Thanksgiving entirely, and skipped 5 reps on a couple of days where my chronic pain was acting up and the jumping was aggravating it.  I'm pleased it's getting easier, though, so this was a good challenge for me.

Nice, I'll probably join you through the end of the year (at least).  Originally my intent was to add an efficient substitute for running during the cold/snowy season -- that'll be through ~March, so I guess I'm in it for the long haul!

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2018, 08:43:49 AM »
1,001 burpees in the month of November. Daily tally posted here.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/november-burpee-challenge/msg2196916/#msg2196916

Thanks for the challenge, time to give my arms a little rest.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2018, 09:56:38 AM »

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/november-burpee-challenge/msg2196916/#msg2196916

Awesome job sticking with it -- and an impressive daily average to boot!

You can give your arms a rest by joining my December Burpee challenge (sans push-ups).  :P

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2018, 11:27:03 AM »

Awesome job sticking with it -- and an impressive daily average to boot!

You can give your arms a rest by joining my December Burpee challenge (sans push-ups).  :P

Thanks for the invite, but I think I'll pass on the December burpee challenge. Personal experience has taught me to value variety in my workouts.

Thanks for initiating the November Burpee Challenge! I hope to incorporate burpees going forward during those days where I don't expect to get much exercise elsewhere. Good luck through December!

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2018, 11:02:06 AM »
Just to put a bow on it...

Nov 29th, 45 reps: 15 reps x 2 in the afternoon, 15 reps before bed
Nov 30th, 60 reps: 15 reps in the morning, 15 reps in the afternoon, and 15 reps x 2 before bed

I'm not sure if the various extra reps made up for the 3 missed sick days -- too lazy to check.  :)

So far in Dec I've been averaging 30 reps/day.