Author Topic: November Biking Challenge!!  (Read 21745 times)

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
November Biking Challenge!!
« on: October 31, 2012, 06:25:29 PM »
We really killed October and during the course of the month enrolled a whole bunch of challenge lovers!  In fact - we had a total of 16 participants who cycled their way to a combined 2600 miles!  Way to go guys! 

We hope to gain on the momentum we have going and encourage EVEN MORE people to participate!  It costs nothing at all and is in fact a great motivator!

Please check out the November link below and feel free to sign yourself up.  If you participated in October; I have copied over your names.  Just start entering mileage. 

If you are new - follow the instructions on the Master Summary Spreadsheet.  As always; we welcome improvements and tweaks (BTW I lost the mileage chart when I created the new spreadsheet).

Here is the November link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As4ivvrHB-LkdEktYkJtUU1CTWhRX0FQeVltRkpHY2c

Melissa

• Stubble
Re: November Biking Challenge!!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 06:50:24 PM »
I might jump on board with this challenge

I am a new bike rider and we live in the country.  To get to town I would have to cross a busy two lane bridge and I am not up to that challenge yet.  I am thinking of putting my bike in the van (we haven't added a hitch for a bike rack yet) and taking it to town with me.  Once there, I can park in the lot at the grocery store and use my bike to run other errands:  bank, library, post office, organic food store, etc.  Each time I do that I would probably save about 10 miles of driving.

I probably won't be logging many miles, but I need to start taking baby steps in the right direction

bcg150

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 03:11:52 AM »
I am pretty sure I am not doing anything wrong on my end but I could be wrong.  I tried to enter my mileage for this mornings commute to work and I cannot edit my tab.

bcg

YAR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 05:41:32 AM »
I am pretty sure I am not doing anything wrong on my end but I could be wrong.  I tried to enter my mileage for this mornings commute to work and I cannot edit my tab.

bcg

Ditto

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 05:53:44 AM »
Hey - Thanks guys!  I had the access to view only!  I have changed it to Edit!!  This should clear the problem up...let me know if there are other issues!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 07:55:06 AM »
I only got to 80 miles in Oct.
I'm going for 100 in Nov.
:D

These spreadsheets are the bomb! Thanks so much!!

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 09:38:34 AM »
Looks like we made 2,700 miles in Oct once everyone had a chance to update. Can we hit 3,000 miles this month? I think so!

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 11:29:42 AM »
For fun, and to inspire competition (maybe) I ordered the November spreadsheet based on total October miles.

Also, added room for more cyclists.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:52:47 AM by StashinIt »

YAR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »
Hey - Thanks guys!  I had the access to view only!  I have changed it to Edit!!  This should clear the problem up...let me know if there are other issues!
thanks for the quick fix! i love this challenge and the sheets make it all the more fun.

HumanAfterAll

• Stubble
  • Targeting 2021
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 12:04:57 PM »
In!  Last month finished with a whimper for me - lots of rain and driving, and drove to make a trip across the state after work.  Tomorrow, I ride again!

tfordon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 12:15:37 PM »
In.  I've been being a wuss and carpooling far too much

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »
I'm not in very good shape, so I'm in!  I need the boost.  I didn't do October, but checked in on the discussion from time to time.  Can't wait to get started!

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 02:08:34 PM »
Count me in.  I think I've signed in to the spreadsheet.  Happy riding.

frugalcalan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 02:23:52 PM »
Definitely in!  I don't think I need a spreadsheet to motivate me since I love cycling so much, but who knows, as the weather continues to cool maybe it will be a help :)

I generally do 50-75 miles a week since I commute, and it's also my main form of transportation, so I should be able to contribute at least 200 miles to the total.  I'm going out of town for a bit during Thanksgiving which will hurt my numbers... guess I'll just have to bike extra other days to make up for it!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 10:36:36 PM »
Oh man, I'm in but I'll be doing well to get in half as many miles this month. End of DST x cold weather collabo means not many trips to the city in my future, which really boosted my mileage last month. I do tend to take these little competitions pretty seriously though, so we'll see!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:38:21 PM by Russ »

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 10:48:48 PM »
I might jump on board with this challenge

I am a new bike rider and we live in the country.  To get to town I would have to cross a busy two lane bridge and I am not up to that challenge yet.  I am thinking of putting my bike in the van (we haven't added a hitch for a bike rack yet) and taking it to town with me.  Once there, I can park in the lot at the grocery store and use my bike to run other errands:  bank, library, post office, organic food store, etc.  Each time I do that I would probably save about 10 miles of driving.

I probably won't be logging many miles, but I need to start taking baby steps in the right direction

Driving to the city and bringing the bike sounds like a super idea. I agree, there are some pretty sketchy bridges in Columbus, especially crossing 270. Once you get inside though, the city is very bicycle-friendly. Good luck!

JT

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 11:36:37 PM »
WooHoo!  In!  Thanks heaps for setting up the November spreadsheet :)

Nancy

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 10:51:43 AM »
I'm in. My goal is to beat my October miles and learn how to bike in the snow.

Matt F

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 11:20:52 AM »
I'm in, just tried out biking to work for the first time today (10.9 miles in).  This should be good motivation to keep it up.  (credit to StashinIt for pointing me to this link)

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 10:20:53 PM »
I'm in! The NorthWest rainy season has finally kicked into high gear, so this'll be interesting!

The Taminator

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 08:15:54 AM »
I'm in. I commute to work but it's a very short 10 minute ride (not sure of the distance, will have to look it up). I'm in Toronto so the weather is getting chilly and we just changed the clocks so it's also dark. I've never been a winter rider so this should be fun and invigorating!

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 08:32:14 AM »
Haha!  Good for you Taminator!  I too haven't ridden in the Ottawa winter.  I must say - it takes a little tweaking to not over/under dress with the layering.  I haven't calibrated what I need to wear with the outdoor temperature yet.  Today (although -3C and dark) I overdid it slightly by one layer on the upper.  It's amazing the heat you generate within the bike clothing cocoon.  Even today I had work colleagues say "Weren't you freezing?". 

What they fail to understand is that I'm not sitting on a cold seat and shivering in my car waiting for the heat to come on!  (Even worse than shivering in a car - letting the car idle BY ITSELF for 15 minutes in driveway as result of the remote starter phenomenon!).  I mean come on!  I cycled past 3 vehicles in driveways this morning that were getting ZERO MPG as they slowly and ineffeciently defrosted the windshield with gasoline power.  The very definition of anti-mustachian and laziness! 

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 09:07:30 AM »
What they fail to understand is that I'm not sitting on a cold seat and shivering in my car waiting for the heat to come on!  (Even worse than shivering in a car - letting the car idle BY ITSELF for 15 minutes in driveway as result of the remote starter phenomenon!).  I mean come on!  I cycled past 3 vehicles in driveways this morning that were getting ZERO MPG as they slowly and ineffeciently defrosted the windshield with gasoline power.  The very definition of anti-mustachian and laziness!

I am afraid to say I used to do this back when I lived in a less temperate climate. Bad-ass Ottawa!

The Taminator

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 01:26:32 PM »
Yeah, I've had co-workers whine about it being so cold out already. I was fine this morning with the layers. I wore my down jacket over a thin, long-sleeve cotton shirt and my winter running pants. Oh and ear warmers and gloves. I wasn't cold at all. Nor did I sweat for once, a nice treat.

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 01:43:16 PM »
I'm in. I commute to work but it's a very short 10 minute ride (not sure of the distance, will have to look it up). I'm in Toronto so the weather is getting chilly and we just changed the clocks so it's also dark. I've never been a winter rider so this should be fun and invigorating!

Just make sure you wear a bright vest and have flashy lights, you want to be seen

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 05:26:37 PM »
What a great challenge!  Thanks for starting it.

I live in Hamilton, Ontario and found that my commute to work was just warm enough today.  I dressed in layers and wore one of those skull caps under my helmet. 

Mark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 01:15:24 PM »
I'll do it! I already bike most everywhere but I'd like to keep track of my miles. I'm in Florida too so I'm still in a T-shirt :P I truly admire everyone's dedication for biking in the snow and freezing weather though. You all are so tough!

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 01:28:43 PM »
Sorry for seeming like a real ditz, but I am not seeing my tab below to enter my miles.  Could someone please explain to me what I am doing wrong.  I sure don't want to screw anything up.  Thanks!

Nevermind!  I figured it out.  :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 01:31:40 PM by BPA »

frugalcalan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012, 07:34:36 AM »
I'll do it! I already bike most everywhere but I'd like to keep track of my miles. I'm in Florida too so I'm still in a T-shirt :P I truly admire everyone's dedication for biking in the snow and freezing weather though. You all are so tough!

Right now in Chicago it's in the 40s, and it's great!  You have my respect for dealing with Floridian heat, humidity, and frequent rain.  I can't even imagine!

Mark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2012, 10:51:38 AM »

Right now in Chicago it's in the 40s, and it's great!  You have my respect for dealing with Floridian heat, humidity, and frequent rain.  I can't even imagine!

Best thing I ever did was decide to not care about being wet or sweaty. Now there's beautiful weather 10 months out of the year. I have to work on my cold weather skills though. I almost needed gloves today!

Cold weather people, what gear do you use at what temperatures? Also, do you bike while it's snowing, or through a couple inches of snow?  I had a rule last year that if it was below 40, I'd drive but I want to change that to no driving this year.

HumanAfterAll

• Stubble
  • Targeting 2021
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 01:50:14 PM »
Just about to roll over 5000 miles on the electric bike, 3500 of those in 2012.  It's getting chilly, but I prefer it to the rain!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:29:22 PM by El Beardo Numero Uno »

The Taminator

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2012, 01:58:11 PM »
Mark, I just keep adding layers until I'm no longer too cold. It's hovering around 0 Celsius when I leave in the mornings and so far my heavy Goretex over my light fleece, ear warmers and light gloves have been fine. My ride is only around 10 minutes so I don't have much of an opportunity to warm up using body heat. As for snow, this is my first season making the attempt to ride in it. I'll update when (and if) it snows.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2012, 03:25:50 PM »
Cold weather people, what gear do you use at what temperatures? Also, do you bike while it's snowing, or through a couple inches of snow?  I had a rule last year that if it was below 40, I'd drive but I want to change that to no driving this year.

There's a separate forum thread about cold weather gear. Lots of good tips:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/winter-bike-comute

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2012, 10:39:17 AM »
All you people biking in negative degree weather.. WOW that's F'in cold. The couple of years I lived in Chicago it got that cold maybe 2 or 3 times.. but it's been 5+ years. I think I've forgotten how cold that actually is. Badassity exudes.

Skinnyneo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tsumashiku Kurashii - Living Frugally in Japan
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2012, 03:28:29 PM »
Wow we have really added lots of members this month!  Great job everybody!  I'll have to step up my game.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2012, 11:35:55 AM »
I find the cold itself doesn't bother me that much.  I am terrified, terrified, of ice though.  Fortunately, in the winter I can easily walk the two miles to work, and then combine shopping into one bus trip usually.  I also try to stockpile stuff for winter like a squirrel, so that cuts down on the errands during the winter.

Nancy

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2012, 11:47:10 AM »
Maybe we should archive and link the spreadsheets, so we can see how badass we get as the months progress.

APS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2012, 08:45:23 PM »
I'm in. I've been lurking but you've inspired me to register & post. I'm a 54 yr old woman in Michigan & love to ride my bike. Work is 7+ miles away. Some days I get a ride to within 1 mile from my husband, then ride home. I'm not yet riding everyday, though my excuses (it's raining, I have to do an errand at noon/after work) are failing the "baddassity" test - I find I do want to be a badass!

Ann

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2012, 12:23:32 AM »
I just got a bike last week and won't log too many miles because I'm such a newb, but I'm happy to participate and contribute some miles:) 

Skinnyneo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tsumashiku Kurashii - Living Frugally in Japan
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2012, 04:58:32 AM »
Welcome to all the new people!  Today I worked extra on a Sunday and it rained pretty hard.  As I was leaving another teacher said "You rode your bike today!?"  I said "Yeah!"  He said "But it's raining really hard out!"  I said "I know!  I love the rain!" 

During the next rain storm get out there!  Take your bikes through some huge puddles and get nice and wet! 

Tradies wife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2012, 04:49:44 PM »
Biking might just take a back seat for a couple of days. Some teens tried stealing my bike on the weekend. Broke spokes as the back wheel was locked (luckily). It's now at the bike shop getting repairs. And I need to talk to Mr. Police man and my insurance...

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2012, 02:08:20 PM »
Alright.  Off I go on my first ride pretty much since I was a teenager, LOL.  Is super short to get started, but I'll add my mileage at end of day:)  Wish me luck!

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2012, 02:56:32 PM »
Alright.  Off I go on my first ride pretty much since I was a teenager, LOL.  Is super short to get started, but I'll add my mileage at end of day:)  Wish me luck!

Good luck and happy pedaling!

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2012, 03:06:12 PM »

Good luck and have fun.

A dog attacked my pant leg today.  Grrrrr.  Stupid dog.  I'm just glad it didn't bite my leg.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2012, 04:15:05 PM »
Today's report: Holy crap is bike riding fun!  It felt great!  I did far more than I thought I could, 6.5 miles!   I am going to be sore, I know this, but popped some Aleve to catch it early. 

Quote about dog won't post right? WEIRD!

ACK!  That's scary!  I did not get attacked by a dog, but did find a lost doberman puppy.  Looked maybe 4 months and I felt terrible leaving him behind.  I'm loading up the car and going to check to see if he is still there because I won't feel okay until I do.  Kind of defeats the not driving part, but can't handle the idea of the poor puppy wandering. 

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 04:54:56 PM »
Today's report: Holy crap is bike riding fun!  It felt great!  I did far more than I thought I could, 6.5 miles!   I am going to be sore, I know this, but popped some Aleve to catch it early. 

Quote about dog won't post right? WEIRD!

ACK!  That's scary!  I did not get attacked by a dog, but did find a lost doberman puppy.  Looked maybe 4 months and I felt terrible leaving him behind.  I'm loading up the car and going to check to see if he is still there because I won't feel okay until I do.  Kind of defeats the not driving part, but can't handle the idea of the poor puppy wandering.

Thats the great thing about biking ... no matter how bad the hills/wind/weather you rarely have regrets :)

alecksia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2012, 07:27:12 AM »
Man, I meant to start this early in November since I saw the last one from October. I'm in starting tomorrow, since I'm already at work.

Tradies wife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2012, 12:54:57 AM »
Bike back from bike shop :) Repaired and ridden home.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2012, 04:49:19 AM »
Bike back from bike shop :) Repaired and ridden home.

Excellent!  Happy Riding!

HumanAfterAll

• Stubble
  • Targeting 2021
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2012, 10:08:23 AM »
This weekend I took the back end of my car apart to replace wheel bearings, suspension bushings, shocks, and upgrade to disk brakes from the junkyard.  Planning on riding my e-bike to work and back all week while I finish the project over the next few nights.  Well, Monday morning, the intermittent cutout that had been happening on the rare cold morning turned into a totally non-functional motor.  Whoops.  Rode back home (the ride of shame) and drove my lady's car to work. 

Now I'm back on the standard bike, and the weather is quite nice!  Light rain, 50 degrees.  Perfect Seattle commuting weather!

Once I get the car back together, I get to take apart the hub motor and replace the hall sensors.  For science!