Author Topic: Not logging into Mint for the entire month of August  (Read 6654 times)

toodleoo

• Stubble
Not logging into Mint for the entire month of August
« on: July 29, 2015, 10:14:09 AM »
One thing that I really struggle with is living in the moment and enjoying my life as I work my way towards FIRE. I probably log in to Mint everyday (well, every day the market is up, anyway.) So, for the entire month of August I am not logging in to Mint. Instead, I am going to step away from my spreadsheets and live my life!

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Not logging into Mint for the entire month of August
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 10:32:36 AM »
Obsessive Mint checker here. I'm in.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 10:37:19 AM »
I need to be in because its such a drain.... I check it even when I know I haven't spent any money! Also check the stock ticker endlessly on my phone...

I can't guarantee I will even make it through 1 workday but I will try. I'm excluding Aug 1 because that's my monthly net worth day.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 01:14:03 PM »
Mint is broken anyway!  The "compare" feature hasn't worked in a month and they don't seem to see it as a priority to fix.  I'm sure that's what many of us used it for it the first place--to see how much we spent in a given month (or YTD) against 2014.  Without being able to easily see that, the site is sort of useless to me.  ...I always want to know if I'm spending more/less on electricity, groceries, beer, etc.

toodleoo

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 05:41:50 PM »
Feel free to substitute your favorite financial website/ calculator of choice :)

toodleoo

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 04:54:48 AM »
Ok, I got my end of month numbers for July and that is it! No more Mint until September. This is going to be harder than I thought, especially since I am very close to a milestone...

Workingmomsaves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 01:20:06 PM »
Mine is checking my 401k daily or every other day.  It's going to be hard but I am not going to check it in August. Glad I looked at it yesterday😉

mulescent

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
This is a good idea, and I'm going to participate.

toodleoo

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 06:51:59 PM »
Well it looks like I picked a good month to stop checking Mint! LOL! It's always a little discouraging to log in and see that your stash has decreased. Not looking...

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 06:29:19 AM »
I update my NW every Saturday morning.

Except for my extra payments to Mortgage. I can't help but grabbing that data as soon as the payment clears. We're just at 80.1% and will be applying for cancellation of PMI when we get another 5.5k in there. I can't wait!!!

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 08:20:46 AM »
Well it looks like I picked a good month to stop checking Mint! LOL! It's always a little discouraging to log in and see that your stash has decreased. Not looking...

I think you are looking at something....

This is a great idea, though. The point of FI is to be able to live the life you want, so that needs some attention too!

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 10:19:33 AM »
I could not do this. The most I could get by on is not checking until the day/after contributions go into plans. I just want to see it get there. Earlier this year my wife's contributions didn't go in and just this past Friday mine didn't go in. I called benefits today and they said if mine didn't go than no one's went in, but it's the first they've heard of it. I really would like to getting into updating sheets, numbers etc quarterly, but I don't want to find out 3 months later we're X contributions short.

toodleoo

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 06:48:05 PM »

I think you are looking at something....

This is a great idea, though. The point of FI is to be able to live the life you want, so that needs some attention too!

Nope, not looking :) I just happen to know that the stock market has been down the last couple of weeks.

Workingmomsaves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 08:14:20 PM »
How is everybody doing.  It's been hard but I haven't looked so far:)

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 05:39:33 AM »
Besides the insomnia, sweating, decreased appetite, and unprovoked aggression, I'm doing okay.

iheartcharts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 07:43:22 AM »
How is everybody doing.
Mint tried to tempt me with notifications about a low balance in one account, but I've held strong so far. Definitely not easy.

toodleoo

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 05:39:16 PM »
Besides the insomnia, sweating, decreased appetite, and unprovoked aggression, I'm doing okay.

Haha :)

Surprisingly I am doing pretty well. And I do find myself thinking less about my stash and running numbers through my head all the time, which is good.

ice813

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 09:41:20 AM »
started late, but I only made it two days :(

toodleoo

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 04:51:52 PM »
Done with week 3. Don't really want to look right now anyway...

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 05:47:02 PM »

Good for you! Do you think it is making a difference in helping you stay in the moment?

toodleoo

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 06:15:46 PM »

Good for you! Do you think it is making a difference in helping you stay in the moment?

It has made a difference. It's actually made a bigger difference than I thought. I really do find myself thinking about my accounts much less throughout the day. This has been an interesting experiment. Not sure I'll continue though, but maybe I'll check my accounts every week instead of every day.

Workingmomsaves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 07:01:02 PM »
Sounds like we picked a good month not to be checking our accounts😊

toodleoo

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 04:13:51 AM »
Well I did it! It was an interesting exercise. I was hoping that today I would have hit a milestone (stash = $300K), but instead I'm down about $15K from last month. Which is a good lesson in itself too, to temper my expectations and be patient :)

All in all, I'm glad I did it, but not sure I could go another whole month without looking. Maybe once a week...

Workingmomsaves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 02:41:06 PM »
I looked yesterday.  I was down about 4k for the month.  This was a timely excercise with the way the market has been.  I am going to try to continue checking once per month. 

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2015, 03:15:50 PM »
I update my NW every Saturday morning.

Except for my extra payments to Mortgage. I can't help but grabbing that data as soon as the payment clears. We're just at 80.1% and will be applying for cancellation of PMI when we get another 5.5k in there. I can't wait!!!
Have you looked into having your house reappraised? If the value has gone up, you can cancel now. At around $500 for an appraisal, your return would be solid. No more PMI within a few days... and you could still dump $5500 into your principle!

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk