Author Topic: Not buying clothes at all - 2020  (Read 17891 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Not buying clothes at all - 2020
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2020, 02:51:07 AM »
Checking in after 4 weeks.  I seem to be following in my BF's footsteps and wearing the same outfit for at least a couple of days in a row, until it actually needs washing.  Just changing my underwear and socks daily.  Makes my life so much easier!  Likely will not able to do that in the summer because the hot weather makes me sweaty due to menopause.  But anyway, I could probably get rid of half of my wardrobe and still have more that I need :-)

Haha. Since I quit working at half December or so, I wore the same pair of hiking trousers for many weeks in a row. Eventually they started smelling a bit and I am now wearing my other pair.
My challenge are shirts. The tend to smell often when I have been active in them, or when I used to hurry around at work. For work, I would always put on a clean shirt every day, because I didn't want to spread body odour. Nowadays I can often wear a shirt for several days, when I wear something different for sports activities. I love being able to wear my hiking trousers every day. I will even wear them to my course this weekend. But last week, at a friend's dinner, I put on (a little) more decent clothes, as for social conventions.

kittykat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2020, 12:03:44 PM »
+1 so far so good as well. I feel a huge weight lifted from my shoulders. I got help from my therapist to understand that I was a compulsive shopper, and that I did most of my shopping in an attempt to keep reaching for my ever-moving-target goal of perfection.
Shopping, its financial aftermath and just dealing with the stuff (returns, storage, etc), is incredibly time consuming and mentally preoccupying. And not to mention how much of a relief it is to see my credit card balance growing soooo much slower. I can honestly say I am sleeping better at nights already. Thank you for this thread. It seemed like a daunting task at first, but this is exactly what I needed.

Isn't this the case for a lot of people? I feel like this is the case for a lot of people, especially in countries were people are 'better off'. It's like, now we're past the things we actually need (like food, shelter) we start consuming and consuming and consuming to reach an unattainable goal of perfection. Not only for clothes, but everything.  Kitchens, cars, stuff and stuff and more stuff. 'Already have a kitchen that works good? NOOO! YOU NEED A NEW kitchen'. To the point were people are telling other people they SHOULD buy things, like kitchens when they already have a good functioning kitchen. Newer phone that has 1 extra option and is 0.000001% faster? Shut up and take my money! And if other people aren't doing it? Shame them!

Sorry for my rant. But I also do this with clothing. Want perfection. Already have 6 pairs of jeans but HEY not the perfect one.

I am beginning to hate this more and more and don't want to participate. But it's soooo ingrained unfortunately. Funny thing is that for home stuff/cars/electronics it's not really a problem for me.. but clothes? Different story.

Also.. thanks for joining! To everyone! Good to have you on board!

haha yeah exactly. I had to do a lot of unfollowing on Instagram...just too much perfection and ads, and I am very competitive, I want to be the best. It's nice to just not have to care as much, and be ok with what I have. I have plenty to work with (pretty sure I have way more than 6 pairs of jeans lol 👀), so I should be good for a while... sigh.

Just checking in -- almost four weeks, no purchases!  Shouldn't even be noteworthy but I shop/bargain hunt way too much as a way to get a lift and change the way I feel.  I have ben actively resisting the urge and feel better for it!  It has nothing to do with need.  I have MORE than enough.  It (the urge to shop) definitely has both fantasy and addictive elements.  I do want to spend sometime organizing, purging etc.

Same here! I am the queen of the deal...especially the high-end sample sales and black friday shopping, and I was all over Barney's closing. It was all compulsive, a feeling of winning even though in the long run clearly I am losing. I just had to stop shopping cold turkey, it was the only way for me.

And I have to say that for me the neatness and organizing was not a part of it. I am very organized and everything is neat and clean, and I purge consistently.... It was more so that I just kept wanting a different version of myself, always new and improved, always more perfect...more like the new vision of myself. And if I just got this new thing it would get me there instantly. And to some extent it did, I do believe appearance matters, but I really have no idea where I was going with all that. It became an endless merry-go-round of makeovers. When is enough, enough?

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2020, 12:17:24 PM »
I am pleased to report that thus far I've honored my pledge.

I tore and sewed my jacket again.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 12:19:59 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

margaretstewart.work

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2020, 08:04:33 PM »
I’m in ! Wanting to do a low/no buy year anyways. At the end of December I received a fall jacket, 2 blazers, skirt, tights, and pantyhose free from a family estate. Also received new winter boots for Christmas. I received a few new socks for Christmas so that will last me. I might allow myself to look for some new bottoms for exercise, and a winter coat. I will try and buy used if possible I also want to get a sewing machine to update or extend the life of my current wardrobe and reduce my waste.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2020, 12:50:59 PM »
Nothing bought, nothing needed - was't even tempted once.
So, one month off, 11 more to go.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2020, 06:28:30 AM »
Nothing bought, nothing needed - was't even tempted once.
So, one month off, 11 more to go.

Great job. Same here. :)

susehawk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2020, 09:15:14 PM »
Checking in! I've tried this challenge a couple years now and usually make it about 3 months before caving. But this year feels different to me. Maybe because I am finally taking to heart how to really minimize my carbon footprint (I've eating mostly plant based now, too), or maybe it's because with 2 daughters approaching college soon, it's becoming realer than real that no material possessions will make me as happy as time spent with family or doing activities I love (reading, walks, hikes, yoga, snowshoeing) or maybe because I am finally facing my decades-long behavior of numbing out discomfort and boredom through shopping for new stuff, I'm not sure really.

And so the month went great, it was easier than it's been in the past, and I bought no clothes. (I did however buy a pair of $32 earrings I will wear 24/7/7 and a scarf/blanket I used on a meditation retreat I went on last week and have continued to use as a blanket in my home.) So not perfect, but pretty darn good, and a little room to continue to improve next month, in which I am committing to buying nothing other than food/basic household supplies/etc. I feel pretty free, am no longer scrolling through online stores or even setting foot in b&m stores. I've also given up facebook and instagram, which I realized (while on the meditation retreat) given me anxiety and just a general feeling of not-enoughness.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2020, 10:01:34 AM »
Successful so far - no clothing bought in January, and no temptation so far.  Have not needed to purchase my socks yet.  I do need to sew a hole in my running pants, but so far I've just been wearing them with the hole.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2020, 06:27:41 AM »
I have not purchased any clothing FOR ME this year.  I think this will be pretty easy, honestly, unless I literally can't fit into my bathing suit for our trip to Florida in April.

I have bought:
1) One little outfit for my 10 month old because she's ridiculously cute and I can't help it
2) One set of tiny hair bows
3) One set of mittens for my 3 year old

My children do not need more clothes!  I mean, baby girl will eventually, but right now she's got plenty, and it's almost her first birthday, when her grandmas and aunts will buy her plenty of adorable things.  I just need to make sure to buy what they DO need second hand.

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2020, 02:58:37 PM »
I made it through the first month without buying clothes!

I even resisted temptation yesterday while walking up a street past a local clothing boutique that I like. I didn't need anything, so I didn't go in.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2020, 03:26:30 PM »

Sorry for my rant. But I also do this with clothing. Want perfection. Already have 6 pairs of jeans but HEY not the perfect one.

I am beginning to hate this more and more and don't want to participate. But it's soooo ingrained unfortunately. Funny thing is that for home stuff/cars/electronics it's not really a problem for me.. but clothes? Different story.

Also.. thanks for joining! To everyone! Good to have you on board!

Speaking of 6, I've got 6 brand new  jackets just for my *garbage-clothes wardrobe.

*garbage clothes are the clothes  I wear at home for dirty work and will not wear in public.

ApacheStache

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2020, 05:03:15 PM »
Wanted to check in as well. I haven't bought any clothes or even thought about buying any this year.

I'm starting to realize I may have a first-world/mustachian problem where too many items of clothing in my closet are too well made to the point where I never get the opportunity to say "this is falling apart or has too many holes, time to throw it away." I've donated lots of clothing to Goodwill, but I still have a ton of clothes left. I purchase 90% of my clothes at Goodwill, TJ Maxx, Marshall's and other discounters and excluding socks and underwear, I'm really amazed at how well everything has held up considering how much I paid for it. To piggyback on what John Galt incarnate! posted, I now have a lot of 10+ year old "brand name" dress clothes that look brand new but serve as garbage clothes for when I do yard work, paint, or automotive work.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2020, 02:33:54 PM »
I'd like to join in.
Did a complete no-shopping challenge in 2018 which was fantastic and then fell back into some purchasing habits last year. Will join here for accountability.
Need to reign in my spending and clothes are somewhere I can tend to splurge on since I tend to buy from companies whose practices I support which can be expensive (or thrift store shopping).

Also I live a fairly active/casual life (in a mountain town) and have been wanting to try to use some of the nicer items I have in my closet so another goal of mine is to dress-up a bit more, use the beautiful things I have and appreciate all of the objects which are already in my life!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 10:12:23 AM by Serendip »

chicklets123

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2020, 08:11:21 AM »

Also I live a fairly active/casual life (in a mountain town) and have been wanting to try to use some of the nicer items I have in my closet so another goal of mine is to dress-up a bit more, use the beautiful things I have and appreciate all of the objects which are already in my life!
I like this approach and trying to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2020, 06:39:30 PM »

I like this approach and trying to do the same.

It's fun too. We went for dinner at a friends the other night and I wore a nicer black turtleneck and earrings so my hubby decided to put on a sweater he doesn't wear too often.  Fancify the regular days!

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2020, 06:28:48 PM »
Checking in. No clothes bought so far in 2020. But I have bought fabric! Using it for sewing my own clothes but the fabric stash in my closet would argue that I have plenty of fabric on hand already...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2020, 01:55:59 AM »
Not much to tell apart from that I still haven't bought any clothes.
I haven't been tempted either.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2020, 11:59:26 AM »
Sorry, I'm out. DH noticed that a sports website has an extremely good price on staple clothes like woolen undershirts. Normally they are pretty expensive. I love wearing those when skiing or hiking and I ordered two new ones.

Tardis81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2020, 10:55:59 PM »
So year 2020, 1.5 months in - no new clothes or shoes. It was easy because I already gone full year of not buying clothes in 2019, and by now seem to have lost all drive or temptation for it.

Unfortunately, nothing I can throw away yet. I'm hoping for much cleaner closets in the end as taking care of clothes is one of my least favourite chores. I think I'd enjoy having a minimalist wardrobe, but for now I have to wait till things are worn out as I don't feel like throwing away useable ones.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2020, 10:05:20 AM »
Sooo everything is going good here as well. There are times I see things around (other people wearing things, in tv-shows, whatever) and I'm kinda tempted again because I like it and would like something like it (not because it’s in fashion but because I think that would be my style). But my drive for not wanting extra stuff is bigger and I’m thinking more on why I like it and how I can create a different look with things I already own (is it because I like that it’s colorful – wear more colorful things together e.g.). I also almost bought a canvas tote bag with a nice print I loved when I realized I won’t buy accessories and bags either. I also absolutely didn’t need it, I already have tote bags. Close call.

I’m slowly thinking about next year and what to do because last time I did a no clothes buying year (lasted 11 months) I also thought about the next year but had no strict rules and because I’m also an emotional shopper it got outta hand the next year. I have to make rules for next year as well. Maybe a budget, maybe only specific items I can replace if I have to (only my favorite items that I wear all the time and need to make my favorite outfits and no extra’s), maybe only second-hand, maybe only a specific number of items. Probably a combination of these rules. I’m just better with rules (when there is a logic behind the rules at least). At his point I’m also kinda tempted to see how far I can stretch this, but not sure if I feel the same way at the end of this year. ;)

It's only mid February but I'm beginning to see I'm not likely to wear anything out this year at the rate I’m wearing my individual items.

I did a check in January on what items I wore and how many times. I can make so many outfits. If I’m not being creative and wear everything the easiest way (for me), I almost don’t have to repeat outfits per season. If I get creative and make different outfits, I can go much further.

I got to thinking, if I have these items per season (I have more) and count them all as one outfit (so, easiest way to wear it), I would have 28 outfits.
-   8 dresses (winter – usually wear these with long cardigan or a sweater)
-   8 blouses (usually wear this with black skinny jeans and cardigan)
-   6 sweaters (with black skinny / coated jeans)
-   6 skirts (usually wear them with shirt/sweater)

Like I said I have more. And different kinds of items as well, like blazers. And per season I have different items (although a lot of items are wearable in more seasons). My closet is not overflowing. But I do feel I have too much.

I wear 3 outfits per week (approximately) as I don’t wash them after one wear (I know that’s the American way but I think that’s totally not necessary). So if I have 28 outfits, that’s not a repeat outfit for 9 weeks. I can mix and match so I can easily have double the outfits (just mix and match with different sweater/shirt/blouse) and I don’t have to repeat an outfit in 18 weeks (even when I will wear a new outfit every day, I can still go for a month). And when there is a different season I can wear different outfits as well.

I don’t even really care if I repeat outfits, so this amount of outfits is crazy, even for these amount of items.
I do wear some items more than others. I know why. This is something I have to take into account when purchasing things in the future (80/20 rule). I definitely don’t need more of the ‘extra’ items that I don’t wear a lot but do like as I already have these and they are not going to wear out any time soon.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2020, 09:57:57 PM »
Still on the wagon and not tempted much at the moment as I have plenty of winter clothes - some I haven't worn at all this winter yet.  I really don't feel like experimenting with my looks so I tend to wear a jeans/sweater combo 99% of the time. 

Thinking ahead to spring though.  It's been an unusually warm winter and it looks like spring will be here early this year.  Typically, I get really frustrated with my clothes when winter ends.  My winter staples are cashmere or wool and they are too warm for early spring.  And I'm seeing all the spring items in the store but the weather is really not good enough yet for warm weather clothes from my closet.  So I usually have a period of couple of weeks each year when I feel like I have nothing to wear and I get tempted into buying something.  The in-between seasons time is hard.  It passes fairly quickly so hopefully I can survive it this year without getting anything new :-)  Maybe I should come up a few outfit options for early spring and get them ready to wear soon...

WelfareStateFIgoals

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2020, 12:55:57 PM »
Going to join in late and say nothing new for the remainder of 2020. I'm in my third trimester and not going back to work till january 2021 so in theory this should work out fine with me rotating out clothes permanently (last baby) as I loose weight and shopping the smaller sizes in my closet. No one will be around to be impressed by my style anyways.. I kept my odd in-between sized clothing from last post-partum period so it shoudl all work out fine. I hope.

I'm obviously getting new underwear at some point when I figure out what my new normal body is but thats all. Besides, I will commit to, in an actual sizing-emergency, buying used. But lets keep the goal clean for now, a little over 10 months should be very doable.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2020, 04:27:29 PM »
I faced my first real shopping temptation last weekend when faced with a clearance rack of mountain bike shorts. I really had a hard time last year finding some that fit (and ended up with boys' pairs) and they're not easy for me to make myself. But the silver lining of a new, dire medical diagnosis is that I don't know what cycling shape I'll be in by the summer so I talked myself out of buying - shopping averted!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2020, 12:00:55 PM »
Found myself browsing an on-line site yesterday and always have to ask myself 'what exactly brought me here?'. This time, it was a survey that then linked to one of my favourite, visually-inspiring sites.

Usually organizing my closet helps ground me in reality..I have quite a few things that I don't wear often and am trying to move those things into rotation when I feel like I need a creative boost. Also, I've gained a wee bit of weight so clothing isn't fitting exactly the way I want it to..should easily rectify this over time by getting back to my walking/yoga/bike-commuting routine--then it'll be like having a new wardrobe :)

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2020, 09:03:09 AM »
I'm still in. 
I made myself a challenge to wear all the work-appropriate shirts and pants without repeating.  It showed me that I have weeks and weeks worth of clothes! But as I got near the ends of the categories I also realized I dislike roughly 15% of them: there's a shirt that makes me look like deflated humpty-dumpty, one where the part with the button holes won't iron flat, pants that seemed khaki when I bought them but seem more scary-mustard when I wear them, etc. 
I should give away these rejects, but I'm wondering if the space and hangers that they free up will start beckoning to me to fill the closet up with new stuff.  Maybe I need to move other stuff into the closet, to make it smaller, so I don't start to feel clothes poverty.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2020, 09:16:50 AM »
I would like to thank this challenge for helping me stop clutter.

I got a coupon in the mail yesterday for a decent discount on shoes.  Normally, I would keep the coupon, not go shopping, then find the expired coupon a few months later in a pile and throw it away.  But since I knew that I am not allowed to buy any shoes this year, it gave me the freedom to throw out the coupon right away!  That's a nice little win.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2020, 11:20:14 AM »
+1 so far so good as well. I feel a huge weight lifted from my shoulders. I got help from my therapist to understand that I was a compulsive shopper, and that I did most of my shopping in an attempt to keep reaching for my ever-moving-target goal of perfection.

Shopping, its financial aftermath and just dealing with the stuff (returns, storage, etc), is incredibly time-consuming and mentally preoccupying.

And not to mention how much of a relief it is to see my credit card balance growing soooo much slower. I can honestly say I am sleeping better at nights already. Thank you for this thread. It seemed like a daunting task at first, but this is exactly what I needed.

Every compulsive shopper should frame this statement in gold:).

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2020, 11:44:23 AM »
I am out - I bought socks and underwear.  I have enough socks and underwear, except when I don't do the laundry every 7 days.  Then I have to wear the too tight gitch.   

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2020, 11:15:19 AM »
Feb report: again, no clothes shopped.
I had a look, though, but remembered that I don't need anything.
Bonus points: Found some less worn high-heal boots in my utility cupboard. Didn't know I still had them. Will dust them off for more variety at work (they go well with dresses or suits).

kittykat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2020, 04:33:38 PM »
Well I guess this was a good year to commit to not buying any clothes, since being stuck at homes means I don't need much anyway. Happy to say that I am still fully committed and have not made a purchase to date and have no desire to do so.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2020, 02:51:43 PM »
My 'problem' is that when I see artists/designers right now doing sales, trying to maintain an income flow--I really want to support them. But, I don't need more clothes and probably need to save my money since I've lost my employment... :)

kittykat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2020, 10:44:03 PM »
My 'problem' is that when I see artists/designers right now doing sales, trying to maintain an income flow--I really want to support them. But, I don't need more clothes and probably need to save my money since I've lost my employment... :)

Very sorry to hear about your loss of employment. How are you holding up?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2020, 08:53:32 PM »

Thanks @KittyCat , currently I am fine--thanks!
 (I didn't mean for that earlier comment to come out as anything except my own reality check that stress 'shopping' is exactly what I DON"T need right now) I have one more cheque coming in and then it sounds like the Canadian government is going to try to set up a program within a month, for those who've lost their work due to the pandemic  (and for about four months if we should need it that long).

I have an emergency fund of six months so am just going to deal with things as they unfold.  I am lucky..many people in my town are facing the prospect of not being able to pay rent so am very grateful for the savings I have (my partner and I did a complete no-shopping year in 2018- and that is where almost all of that emergency fund came from).

kittykat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2020, 11:54:43 AM »

Thanks @KittyCat , currently I am fine--thanks!
 (I didn't mean for that earlier comment to come out as anything except my own reality check that stress 'shopping' is exactly what I DON"T need right now) I have one more cheque coming in and then it sounds like the Canadian government is going to try to set up a program within a month, for those who've lost their work due to the pandemic  (and for about four months if we should need it that long).

I have an emergency fund of six months so am just going to deal with things as they unfold.  I am lucky..many people in my town are facing the prospect of not being able to pay rent so am very grateful for the savings I have (my partner and I did a complete no-shopping year in 2018- and that is where almost all of that emergency fund came from).

That's great to hear. It's stressful times like these that emergency funds help keep us able to cope much more comfortably.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2020, 01:46:34 PM »

That's great to hear. It's stressful times like these that emergency funds help keep us able to cope much more comfortably.

Exactly! I am grateful--also saw a funny thing on Instagram that people are doing called #alldressedupwithnowheretogo . Wear your nice duds, do hair/makeup or whatever you like and then stay home.
I'm trying to convince my SO to do it, we can have dinner all dressed up.

He just finished his 14 day isolation after travel--so worth celebrating.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2020, 07:32:55 PM »
I'm keeping busy sewing. Haven't bought any clothes this year and am trying to make all my clothes. I've been making some comfy pandemic clothes for wearing around the house and dog walking. I've also been learning to knit socks to make those.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2020, 11:58:36 AM »
also saw a funny thing on Instagram that people are doing called #alldressedupwithnowheretogo . Wear your nice duds, do hair/makeup or whatever you like and then stay home.
I'm trying to convince my SO to do it, we can have dinner all dressed up.

He just finished his 14 day isolation after travel--so worth celebrating.
Just logged in to say that I consider March successfully done, as we are on lock-down, so there wouldn't be any clothes' shopping even if I needed something (which I do not).

But this dress-up idea at home sounds like a good idea. DH's b/day is coming up and I was wondering what to do with it. Maybe this will cheer him up a bit!   

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2020, 12:57:16 PM »

Just logged in to say that I consider March successfully done, as we are on lock-down, so there wouldn't be any clothes' shopping even if I needed something (which I do not).

But this dress-up idea at home sounds like a good idea. DH's b/day is coming up and I was wondering what to do with it. Maybe this will cheer him up a bit!
please do it and let me know how it goes. We are going to either tonight or tomorrow :)

kittykat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2020, 03:26:57 PM »
I am seeing some stylists to the celebrities with no work right now offering their services virtually with portions of the profit going to charity. So I signed up for a session with one to go through my closet and get some ideas for how to refine my style and hone in on some looks. For this year I will work with what I have, but for the future I'd like to have some set rules for my style so that when I do go shopping I am not all over the place.

kittykat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2020, 04:44:42 PM »
I still have not bought any new clothing or accessories this year.
I did have a virtual session with the stylist previously mentioned and it was fun shopping my closet with her, and getting her validation on my style and that I already have great pieces to work with so no need to buy anything. So I'm definitely still not craving buying anything.... and also have no use for it since we aren't going out anywhere for some time to come. I did start filtering out a few items from my closet that were not working, so my donation pile is starting to grow and my clothes rack has more wiggle room now.
Overall doing good and feeling proud of my self control and enlightenment.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2020, 11:31:04 AM »
Haven't bought any clothing and have been re-working a few items (with ideas to do some more..) My sewing machine and needles are out and I've been working on creative projects daily (not usually wearables--but have some jewelry tools so will be making some accessories since I have the time).

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2020, 06:08:10 PM »
I've been reading along without joining, for the inspiration. Then I realized that the only new items I've gotten this year were in January, and would have been in December except for laziness (returned Christmas gifts and got what I actually needed, used a gift card to fill a gap in my wardrobe with a high-quality item).
So I'm going to jump in and see how much longer I can go! With the thrift stores closed and being temporarily furloughed from work, I think it will be much easier than I originally imagined. :)

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2020, 01:35:34 PM »
Well, >1/4 of 2020 has passed.

So far I haven't purchased a stitch of clothing.

Did you buy any new clothes?

In an infected world buying new clothes may be an absolute necessity.

KBCB

• Stubble
  • Burning to Fire
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2020, 06:17:30 AM »
Shopping, its financial aftermath and just dealing with the stuff (returns, storage, etc), is incredibly time consuming and mentally preoccupying. And not to mention how much of a relief it is to see my credit card balance growing soooo much slower. I can honestly say I am sleeping better at nights already. Thank you for this thread. It seemed like a daunting task at first, but this is exactly what I needed.

I can relate. I always want to look better, thinner, prettier, more stylish. I realized this a little while ago with my shopping addiction. It is a very hard thing to overcome. I am still struggling. I have made some really promising progress on my closet and shopping. I still his low points where I get sick off everything and feel horrible about myself and go shopping. During my journey I realized a few things that help me not to shop when I am feeling down. Try on my favorite clothing or most of my wardrobe and I always find items I never wear that I absolutely love and It gets me excited for clothing I already own. Or if I must shop for needed clothing, i go with cash only so I can only buy so much and hopefully only what I went for.

I would love to hear any tricks you might have.

kittykat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2020, 03:02:10 PM »

I can relate. I always want to look better, thinner, prettier, more stylish. I realized this a little while ago with my shopping addiction. It is a very hard thing to overcome. I am still struggling. I have made some really promising progress on my closet and shopping. I still his low points where I get sick off everything and feel horrible about myself and go shopping. During my journey I realized a few things that help me not to shop when I am feeling down. Try on my favorite clothing or most of my wardrobe and I always find items I never wear that I absolutely love and It gets me excited for clothing I already own. Or if I must shop for needed clothing, i go with cash only so I can only buy so much and hopefully only what I went for.

I would love to hear any tricks you might have.

I'm an incredibly persuasive person, especially towards myself lol. I can talk myself into spending for all kinds of excuses. So I have found over the years the only effective strategy is just cold turkey. I have an ever present target of saving for a house downpayment, so there's that major goal motivation too. But just knowing that buying clothing, shoes and accessories is totally off the table for me under all circumstances is the only thing thats fully holding me back. My hope is that after a year of that it will break my bad compulsive shopping habit and I can go back to healthy shopping habits, but have yet to see if it'll work in the long term or not!
I do very much agree with the power of shopping my own closet. It sounds crappy at first, but then I get excited for the new outfits I put together... so, win, win. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 03:03:43 PM by kittykat »

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2020, 07:42:37 PM »
Found a long-sleeved shirt in the ragbag that had a rip in the underarm. I wanted a tank top, so I removed the long sleeves and used the fabric to make bias tape to finish the underarms. I fixed the rip that is much less noticeable now, and am one finished armhole away from a 'new' tank top, without buying one.
I probably wouldn't have bothered if I hadn't accepted this challenge. I would've cut the shirt up to use for another project and bought a new tank top.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2020, 09:35:39 PM »
Finished the tank top late last night. Forgot I'd have to go through the button jar to retrieve all the buttons. I'd cut them all off before putting the shirt in the rag bag. I wore it today to a social distancing picnic with the SO. It fits even better than it did before as a long-sleeved shirt!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2020, 07:01:27 AM »
Nice job @okcisok !

I haven’t bought any clothes this year. Pandemic life makes it more likely that I might, since my usual avenues for free clothing are gone. Plus, all this lockdown baking is making my pants fit a lot tighter.

Thankfully it’s skirt weather soon!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2020, 06:34:00 PM »
I feel you on the pandemic affecting my free clothing options @MonkeyJenga. Normally there would be clothing swaps and friends getting rid of clothes and family trades. I'm crossing my fingers that all the quarantine decluttering will lead to some of these in future.

Thanks to this thread, I did not buy a new pair of used jeans. :) My workplace was able to call us back for 8 weeks due to a gov't grant. Same pay but different work locations. Think 'warehouse' more than 'c-suite'. We all wear jeans and company-provided t-shirts. There are several dangers to our clothes (stains, rips, etc) in this environment. Before I joined here, I would've popped to the thrift store for a cheap but nice pair. I would justify that I was saving my 'good' jeans, as I only have three pairs. Instead, I went through the storage bins and found that one tatty pair of old chore jeans that you hang onto for painting or garage cleanout. If they get damaged, no big deal--I'll patch them up and keep wearing them until they are unacceptable, then turn them in shorts or another denim project. But I saved about $8. Or more, since thrift stores in my area aren't open yet so I would've probably ordered something online that was more like $20-$25.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2020, 02:30:19 AM »
Another month without buying clothes. Not much of a challenge in Corona times, I have to admit.
However, I have put on a couple of more pounds weight-wise during lockdown, so I have to get back into shape before we have to get back to the office. Otherwise I will fail to fit into my work dresses and suits.
And I really don't want to buy new stuff, so this is my incentive to get back to my regular dress size.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!