Author Topic: Not buying clothes at all - 2020  (Read 17898 times)

Sanne

• Stubble
Not buying clothes at all - 2020
« on: December 08, 2019, 01:43:00 PM »
As mentioned in one of the other threads.

2020 will be a year of NO clothes buying for me.

But I need some accountability. And it would be nice if others could join who want to.

This year I stranded and bought too much that I didn't NEED but wanted and I already have enough. For me, NOT buying anything is easier than only what I need because I will debate myself on needs versus wants. Strict rules are necessary to avoid having to make choices. I’ve done no clothes for 11 months in the past with less clothes in my closet than I have now so it should be fine.

I don't need to be fashionable. I KNOW this and don't like trends anyway so this should be a no-brainer but I like adding new (new for me, usually 2nd hand) things because I like choices. I have enough to choose from and it won't all wear out in one year at all.

Only exception is underwear, I don’t really see that as clothes (including panty hose because I'm a bit low on that and don't want to buy in advance), but only if really needed. This will not be a problem for me because I don't buy this for fun, only when needed anyway.

No clothes, no shoes, no bags, no scarves. Swapping is also allowed (I rarely do but if this happens, it's ok).

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Not buying clothes at all - 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 01:59:34 PM »
As mentioned in one of the other threads.

2020 will be a year of NO clothes buying for me.

But I need some accountability. And it would be nice if others could join who want to.

This year I stranded and bought too much that I didn't NEED but wanted and I already have enough. For me, NOT buying anything is easier than only what I need because I will debate myself on needs versus wants. Strict rules are necessary to avoid having to make choices. I’ve done no clothes for 11 months in the past with less clothes in my closet than I have now so it should be fine.

I don't need to be fashionable. I KNOW this and don't like trends anyway so this should be a no-brainer but I like adding new (new for me, usually 2nd hand) things because I like choices. I have enough to choose from and it won't all wear out in one year at all.

Only exception is underwear, I don’t really see that as clothes (including panty hose because I'm a bit low on that and don't want to buy in advance), but only if really needed. This will not be a problem for me because I don't buy this for fun, only when needed anyway.

No clothes, no shoes, no bags, no scarves. Swapping is also allowed (I rarely do but if this happens, it's ok).

I doubt that I wear >5% of my clothes.

I have WAY too many.

Therefore, I've decided to match your commitment (or should I say attempt to match) to buy NO clothes in 2020.

I'll be back one year hence to let you know if I succeeded.

OP, if I don't show up send me a PM to remind me.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 02:05:19 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 02:56:35 PM »
Oh man.  I was going to wait until the "only buy what clothes you need" thread was created, but I really don't need any clothes at all. 

I have plenty of everything.  I'm 8 months post-partum, with a 3.5 year old too, and haven't gotten back into exercising regularly, so I have a bunch of clothes that I haven't worn in up to 4 years - clothes that I LOVE, but don't fit into anymore (yet?).  I'll commit to not buying anything next year, unless by some terrible happenstance the cat pees every single pair of my shoes or something.  I just asked my SIL to lend me a dress for the only formal event I have planned, so I should be covered! 

Reminder to myself for later - yes, you want have a cashmere sweater, and yes, you also want some fleece-lined jeans.  They can wait! 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 07:44:55 AM by chaskavitch »

susehawk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 03:30:18 PM »
Hi all, I'm a long time MMM follower who's lost touch in the past few years. I'm coming back to my roots! So am making the no-new clothes in 2020 commitment. I've also tried this challenge in years past and have made it 3-4 months before caving in and then giving up. Here's to 2020 being the year to make it happen fully.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 03:50:33 PM »
I’m in!  My only exception will be socks - I’ve lost (to holes) a few of the socks I wear for running/gym, and will need to replace at some point.  Otherwise, I can’t think of any clothing I need.

I asked my BF to buy me running shoes for Christmas (he kept bugging me, and I hate getting gifts and asking for stuff, so I was happy to finally come up with this idea).

I’m pretty good at not buying clothes (I think this year was just running shoes and 2 bras), but I’m trying out FIREd life in 2020, and I don’t want to be tempted to go shopping now that I’ll have extra time on my hands.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 05:55:32 PM by NotJen »

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 05:23:54 PM »
Only things I would buy are underwear and socks. Mine are wearing out. I don’t need anything else.

ApacheStache

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 05:53:13 PM »
Count me in as well. I've made 3 donation trips to Goodwill in the last 3 months and have probably given away 20 articles of clothing, yet I still have way too many clothes. I'm half-tempted to apply a scorched-earth policy to my closet and officially don the Steve Jobs-esque wardrobe.

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 09:15:28 PM »
I'm in, with the exception of replacing worn out socks, underwear and shoes. I think I'm good for running shoes for the next six months or so, but when summer hits I might need a replacement.

havregryn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 07:12:05 AM »
I want to be a part of this.
I am about to give birth, but it's my third, so I own clothes that can cover a huge range of sizes I've been through the last six years. I got rid of most of my pre-first kid clothes and I do hope to get down to that size again, but I imagine it would take a year to do it slowly and permanently so I want to go on a buy-nothing "diet" in 2020, it's going to be all the more fun to be able to buy new stuff in 2021 (assuming I will need it as I will reach my target size).

I think my two younger kids are going to be participating too (the oldest one might grow out of his clothes so it's not like I can avoid buying him new ones). We are gettng a girl after two boys and we have gotten so many hand me downs from various friends and coworkers, on top of the fact that I have stored the clothes we had for the boys, so now I have two full wardrobes for the baby, one girly, one boyish. I will start sorting through all that and donating all extras once the baby is out and I recover a bit.
But there is definitely no excuse in buying anything for her. And the middle brother is well supplied by his older brother too.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 10:00:21 AM »
I'm in! I updated my waredrobe recently and I'm currenlty working on purging the items I no longer wear so I have zero need for any new clothes.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 07:49:38 AM »
@Sanne -- just to clarify, is this the "Buy Nothing At All" thread?  So if someone knows they're going to need socks, should they stay here or post in the "Only What You Need" thread?  I know there were two separate threads last year.  Thanks!

Good question, I get your point.

Initially, for me, this is meant for not buying clothes at all. I need that to eliminate having to make choices (is it truly a need).
I truly don’t need clothes. If my pants wear out I have other pants. Maybe not my favorite but there you go. Or I can wear one of my dresses/skirts. Same for every category. Not everything will fall apart in one year. I can also get by for special occasions and travel. I can make it work. Easily. My house will have to burn down for me to not have enough to wear.

I get it that because I mentioned an exception (underwear and pantyhose) this could be 'only what you need'. For me I feel it falls in the category not buying clothes at all as I don’t really see underwear as clothes although they are. For me underwear/pantyhose is also not a problem. I only buy what I need anyways and never in excess. I could exclude it but for me that kinda defeats the purpose because then I would probably buy in advance in some sort of “panic” and I can’t only buy what I truly need and can’t buy it on sale.

So maybe it’s up to the people joining to have that clear for yourself. I guess it differs if something is a problem area for you or not and if it would defeat the purpose if you have to buy in advance.

If you know you will really need something that’s not a basic extra like socks or underwear, it would be better to join another thread for only buying what you need. But I personally think that’s ok. I get it if some people kinda see that as cheating/not buying nothing. That’s ok.

I will drop out if I really buy something else, anything at all. Or if I buy underwear/pantyhose if I can easily get by.

Also... no jewelry. I noticed that was something I would fall back previously and I don't want that this year. I also have enough and usually wear the same items anyway.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 07:51:18 AM »
Wow that post was longer than I thought it would be..

I also wanted to say thanks for joining everyone! I didn't expect this.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 08:34:34 AM »
For me, I'd rather participate in this buy nothing thread with my socks exception.

If I participate on a "buy only what you need" thread because I only want to buy socks next year, I won't get much out of it, because I don't want to read about people justifying what they are buying.  I'd rather read about/support people who are truly trying to buy nothing.  And I'll report / drop out if I fail.

I might buy my socks before this year is over if I happen to notice a sale.  But I don't want to be forced to buy before a decent sale if it doesn't happen in the next week and a half.

CodingHare

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 01:53:27 PM »
I'll join.  I have more than enough clothes to last that amount of time, for one.  Need to buy some underthings, but I can do that now and be ready for 2020.

I knit and sew and would like the extra motivation to make my clothes.  Slow, ethical fashion.  I find that I sometimes indulge in consumerism as shopping therapy, or because it's a good deal.  Well, it's not a good deal for the sweatshop workers making your $15 Costco t-shirt.  And it's not a good deal for me if I'm buying extra when I didn't really need it.

And seeing what truly wears out and gives up the ghost will be informative for what to rebuy in 2021, if needed.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2019, 02:07:22 AM »
For me, I'd rather participate in this buy nothing thread with my socks exception.

If I participate on a "buy only what you need" thread because I only want to buy socks next year, I won't get much out of it, because I don't want to read about people justifying what they are buying.  I'd rather read about/support people who are truly trying to buy nothing.  And I'll report / drop out if I fail.

I might buy my socks before this year is over if I happen to notice a sale.  But I don't want to be forced to buy before a decent sale if it doesn't happen in the next week and a half.

Exactly this. The not wanting to read about other people justifying what they are buying.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2019, 02:48:41 AM »
I am in. I hope to be done with working in 1 to 1.5 years.  I feel that I can milk my closet until then.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2019, 07:44:12 AM »
Oh man.  I was going to wait until the "only buy what clothes you need" thread was created, but I really don't need any clothes at all. 

I have plenty of everything.  I'm 8 months post-partum, with a 3.5 year old too, and haven't gotten back into exercising regularly, so I have a bunch of clothes that I haven't worn in up to 4 years - clothes that I LOVE, but don't fit into anymore (yet?).  I'll commit to not buying anything next year, unless by some terrible happenstance the cat pees every single pair of my shoes or something.  I just asked my SIL to lend me a dress for the only formal event I have planned, so I should be covered! 

Reminder to myself for later - yes, you want have a cashmere sweater, and yes, you also want some fleece-lined jeans.  They can wait!

Update - at the ARC looking for Christmas pajamas for the kids, happened to look in the women's section, and found a cashmere sweater for $6!  It's black, fits perfect, is long enough, and has a cute kind of 50s neckline that I really like.  I mean, I'd love another cashmere sweater in not-black, but for now, I'm good! 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 07:49:01 AM by chaskavitch »

NonprofitER

• Stubble
  • Reaching FIRE w/ High Purpose (Low Pay) Nonprofit
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2019, 08:29:41 AM »
I'm in.

I successfully bought ZERO new clothes in 2017 (and pared down what I had, made a list of what I really needed to replace in 2018).  Bought intentionally in 2018 based on what needed to be replaced. Then I *had planned* to buy zero new clothes in 2019 (going for an every-other-year thing...) but totally failed.  I bought several things, most which I didn't need.  Totally fell off the wagon. 

Getting back on the wagon for a true ZERO clothes year. My exceptions are generally underwear or socks, but I'm good on both of those for the foreseeable future.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2019, 09:05:10 AM »
I call my dirty-work clothes my  "garbage-clothes wardrobe."

They are clothes I would never wear in public.

After tearing the sleeve on my work jacket (the culprit was a stub on a tree  limb)  the first thing I thought of was this thread which  prevented me from buying a replacement.

I sewed the  tear so now the jacket  is OK.

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2019, 11:16:51 AM »
I'm in.
But I'm going to modify my goal to "not buying clothes at all until 2020 is over or until I lose 17 more pounds, whichever happens first."  This is because I already lost 23 pounds in 2019 and didn't buy new clothes.  All my clothes are now loose-but-not-falling-off, but if I reach my goal during 2020 then they really will be sloppy-clown large so I'd have to give myself permission to at least swap in some smaller work-appropriate thrift store stuff.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2019, 10:37:53 AM »
I'm not willing to commit to NO new clothes in 2020 because I know there are some items that I'll need (like bras and socks).
BUT I'm trying to make clothes that I need rather than buy them. It's slow going because I'm not a great sewer. I'm in a different boat than many people because I actually really need more clothes and what little I have are wearing out. Making my own clothes is my anti-fast fashion commitment.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2019, 11:49:05 AM »
I'm in!  Gonna be funemployed for most of next year (giving notice to work on my own business & career change), so this is the perfect time!  That, and I already have a closet full of perfectly serviceable clothes of all sorts-- in fact, I'm planning on selling a bunch of japanese fashion items that I used to wear more frequently several years ago.

The hardest part for me is going to be not buying graphic tees and tops from independent artists/friends in my community who I like to support.  They come up with such beautiful and creative designs, and I want to hurl money in their direction (just as they support me).  There's one shirt that I've been eyeing for the last six months that I might still purchase.... but the rest will have to wait for 2021.

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2019, 05:41:27 PM »
I’ve been mentally yo yoing about joining this thread since I first saw it (this one and the buy nothing in 2020). I have decided to commit! (To this one, still yo-yoing about -nothing nothing). I commit to buy no new clothes in 2020. Starting with January. I can commit to a month of nothing new! (Can I do it 12 times in a row???)

I bought a (second hand) replacement pair of shoes this week for work which is the one (of two) things I kept thinking about /needing/ to replace in 2020. Now, barring sudden and extreme foot-growth I should be good for work shoes for 2020. And, while it would be /nice/ to replace a specific blue blouse in my capsule-ish wardrobe which is looking a bit threadbare, I have enough other blouses that I don’t /need/ it to get through a year of work wear still looking put together.

Cheering everyone on!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2019, 12:16:10 AM »
I am often tempted by good bargains for stuff I could wear. But this year (2019) I spent a lot more on close than in 2018, like 4 times.

I want to try this thread instead, but find it a bit hard to do a full commit. I will report the period that I succeed, which is hopefully long.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2019, 07:01:31 AM »
I’m in as well. I have way more than I need and I ended up buying a bunch things I wanted in 2019. So no more purchases this year (no matter how good the sales are ;-) and no new or second hand clothes in 2020.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2019, 06:37:55 AM »
Same!! No clothes for me or hubby. We do have three growing kids, and I'll do my best to keep up with hand me downs, and only buy things they have to have.

But for this challenge- no clothes for me. I have plenty. So for me it's no clothes, no jewelry and no underthings. I have enough of all that.

nvmama

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2019, 07:39:58 PM »
I'm in.  I just updated my clothes due to weight gain, so I'm good for now and if I can lose the weight. 

I do have 3 growing kids- but I rarely buy new for them and they just got clothes for Christmas.  However, they will need shoes eventually.  My hubby is responsible for his own cloths and he has more than enough.  But to keep the peace I'll commit to no new clothes for me in 2020.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2020, 02:57:31 AM »
I got enough clothes, so I am in with two exceptions: shoes suitable for work (and only if I can get my current ones fixed) and nylons (but I count them as consumables).
However, I put on 10 lbs last year that I wilk need to shed if I  want to make full use of my wardrobe.
So, this may be an incentive to get back in shape!

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2020, 09:40:21 PM »
Happy (no) New (clothes) Year everyone!

Kicking things off with a wardrobe audit to confirm that I have everything I need work-wear-wise. (Spoiler: I totally do!)

4.5 skirts (one I have to lose some girth to get back into, that is the .5)
3.5 pants (ditto above for the .5)
18 tops/blouses/shirts
7 ‘dresses’ and 2pr leggings to go under, (the dresses are too short to be work appropriate without the legging, and the leggings too tight to be worn without a dress over)
3 cardigans
2 blazers
8pr work-appropriate shoes (2 on their last legs, still presentable on top, but holes in the bottom. Will wear them fully out before tossing, felt I had to justify coz that feels like a lot of shoes!)

By my calculations, that means there are 25 outfits I can wear without doubling up (ie, new top/dress. The bottoms will have a higher turn-over, but I feel ok wearing the same pants a couple times in between washes, where shirts need to be washed every time for me). With 5 work days/week, that’s 5 weeks of outfits before the same one comes up on rotation. With 50 weeks in the year (skipping the two we’re on holiday) that means each ‘top’ should be worn 10 times between now and the end of 2020. All of them seem (fingers crossed) in good enough condition to take another 9 washes before becoming textile recycling (with the exception of 1 blouse that is looking a little shabby and might only last 5 washes).

Doing this audit has made me feel much more confident about the challenge, it helps that I have a capsule-ish wardrobe and most tops/bottoms go together. And if worst comes to worse I have two house Tshirts that could masquerade as work shirts in a pinch.

I have sufficient socks/underthings/ T-shirts/shorts/workout tights / home clothes (not counting those, too much effort), 2pr pjs, 2pr swimmers, a pair of sneakers, a pair of flip flops, a pair of canvas shoes and a pair of lifting shoes.

Let’s do this! (Or rather... not do this...), I’m going to have to get out of the habit of dropping into the op-shop after work before my extra curricular.

kittykat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2020, 03:13:13 PM »
I've been thinking about joining this one for a few weeks now. This is the only area in my spending that I haven't been able to nail down... until now. And as painful as it will be for me, I am making the commitment here and now. No new clothing or accessories etc for 2020.

After speaking with my therapist today, it is clear that I am a compulsive shopper of these items. I think my main goal is some unattainable perfection, that is actually driving me away from my bigger financial goal and making me unhappy. I can't stick to any shopping budget, I just need to go cold turkey... even one sip opens the flood gates.

I hope to stay focused on the feeling of pride when I look back on Jan 2021 knowing that I had control, I changed my habit, and I achieved my savings goal.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2020, 03:46:17 PM »
I hope to stay focused on the feeling of pride when I look back on Jan 2021 knowing that I had control, I changed my habit, and I achieved my savings goal.
Good luck!  You totally have the power to do this!

Tardis81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2020, 04:25:28 PM »
Joining in! I already done one year of no clothes-shopping (2019). However as it seems, one year wasn't enough to wear out too many items, and my closets are still too full. Even underwear, socks and tights - many are still unwrapped and with labels. In 2020, my aim is not just avoiding to buy new things, but also wear out and properly ruin some of the old ones so I can throw them away without feeling any guilt or greed about it.

kittykat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2020, 07:51:17 PM »
Good luck!  You totally have the power to do this!

Thank you! I think I can do it, and it will be monumental when I do. Good luck to you as well!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2020, 12:03:07 AM »
@Yasha - taking an inventory is a great idea.  I would like to do it this week.  I know I have some good sweaters and shoes that I don’t wear and will never wear.  I hope I can sell them.

Tess

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2020, 09:33:20 AM »
I'm in!  I already vowed to do a "buy nothing new" year but had given myself some thrift store wiggle room on clothing which I am now renouncing.  I need NOTHING and I have MORE THAN ENOUGH (especially since I stocked up in anticipation of my buy nothing new year!  (Face punches appropriate here)  Also I am retiring in December 2020 and have plenty of work clothes to see me through.  I will do a major purge of work clothes when I retire.

2020 mantra:  I have enough, I do enough, I am enough. 

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2020, 10:28:20 AM »
I'll join too.  I've been paring down my closet for a year or so, and now have exactly what I wear and nothing else.  Those items will easily last me a year and after seeing the Clothing Waste episode on Marketplace, I'm committed to keeping my wardrobe in check.  Whatever wears out this year will be gone, with no replacement.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2020, 01:01:57 PM »
I have absolutly everything I need--it's just that none of it fits bc I gained weight.  Not buying anything is a good incentive to lose weight and also do laundry. I'll be wearing the same black pants to work for a while until my other stuff fits a bit better.  I was just going to go to the thrift store to buy some fat pants but I think that two weeks should have a few more pants fitting and after a few months everything will fit so I'm in.  I lost 50 lbs but gained half back so I'm looking to lose 25 asap since I tossed all my fat clothes.

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2020, 01:58:06 PM »
First win of the month, (aside from the nightmare I had about getting a huge bag of hand-me-downs since people found out about my no-new-clothes year, hahaha), this morning I got up and put on my first outfit (when doing the clothing audit I hung the clothes back in my closet in outfit sets until the ‘bottoms’ ran out. As I do laundry I will hang the bottoms back intermingled with the not-yet-worn-this-challenge tops, and hang the worn tops at the end of the closet so I wear through them evenly), being able to grab an already chosen outfit, putting it on with no second guessing or ‘oh, maybe I should wear this top instead of that one’ is really going to save me time in the morning. And if I hate the outfit I’ve chosen, it’s only for a day, I can be stoic about it and enjoy even more the next days outfit.

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2020, 02:41:52 PM »
Yesterday I mended everything that was in my long-neglected "to be fixed" box - there were 5 items of clothing in there - all just languishing because of little things, like not being able to wear a shirt because it was missing a cuff button.  Being able to put those items back in the closet on their hangers made it even clearer how overstuffed my wardrobe is.

Tess

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2020, 10:01:02 AM »
Love this SWWAL!  I think I will try on EVERYTHING in my closet and donate the stuff I don't actually want to ever wear.    And on the "I have enough" front, I was starting to get ready for my trip to Hawaii and trying on my bathing suits.  I have 4 different black one piece bathing suits and 2 different black tankini bathing suits, all fit, all more or less flattering.  Who needs 6 black bathing suits?  (I am not a fitness swimmer, btw, these are only worn on vacations.)   

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2020, 03:49:18 AM »
Good thoughts about wearing and trying everything. I purged some stuff again to sell/donate that I just shouldn't have in my wardrobe. I did purges in the past, it's amazing how some things were still there.

There were some things in the maybe pile and I hung them up downstairs if it is fall/winter appropriate. I will wear them and make up my mind about them. I can put it back or donate/sell after I wear it once.  If I haven't worn it in a month at all it will also have to go as I just don't wanna wear it for some reason. I will do this again for spring/summer things.

I caught myself browsing secondhand clothing online  for some reason and I stopped. I noticed that I didn't want to buy anything so that's good. But why was I browsing. Habit I guess. I want to change this habit.

While purging and trying out things already in my closet I noticed again that I don't need and also don't really want to add anything. Anything that gets added will clutter up my closet again and will get in the way of the time I can wear the things I already own. I want to be able to wear the things I already own. I also want to actually wear out some stuff before adding more.

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2020, 11:31:20 PM »
Ugh, first failure.

I’ve been tossing up whether to get a pair of spanks to wear under a dress I bought last year to wear to a fancy wedding at the end of next month (I am not a fancy person, and had nothing in my closet that fit the bride’s criteria). I bought a different dress this afternoon instead. I will donate at least one of them (probably both) in March, but still chalking it up as a fail. (Let the “boo”-ing commence).

Tess

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2020, 05:07:03 PM »
Just checking in as clothes buying (and shoes buying) is my bete noir and I have not bought anything in 2020!  In fact, today I returned an impulse buy I made right at the end of 2019 for my recent trip to Maui (a swim suit cover up) that was defective and came apart on first wearing.  And I successfully resisted urge to justify spending $ I got for return.  Staying strong! 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2020, 02:21:51 AM »
So far, so good. No clothes bought so far this year.

I noticed that my weight is a bit high and that at least one of my trousers is uncomfortably tight. I have decided to eat less between the meals and cut out alcohol for a while. I hope this will bring my weight a bit back and I can keep wearing my clothes.

ethereality

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2020, 05:09:05 AM »
Joining! Will be trickier as we approach summer months for me, but I already have enough clothes and my NYC closet is a squeeze, even when it's organized. Getting married this year, but hoping that I can stay committed in not letting that convince me to go off track, since I bought last year what I plan on wearing!

kittykat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2020, 10:04:53 PM »
+1 so far so good as well. I feel a huge weight lifted from my shoulders. I got help from my therapist to understand that I was a compulsive shopper, and that I did most of my shopping in an attempt to keep reaching for my ever-moving-target goal of perfection.
Shopping, its financial aftermath and just dealing with the stuff (returns, storage, etc), is incredibly time consuming and mentally preoccupying. And not to mention how much of a relief it is to see my credit card balance growing soooo much slower. I can honestly say I am sleeping better at nights already. Thank you for this thread. It seemed like a daunting task at first, but this is exactly what I needed.

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2020, 12:15:35 PM »
Joining! Will be trickier as we approach summer months for me, but I already have enough clothes and my NYC closet is a squeeze, even when it's organized. Getting married this year, but hoping that I can stay committed in not letting that convince me to go off track, since I bought last year what I plan on wearing!

I live in a small apartment in an HCOL area and it made such a difference when I "Marie Kondo'd" my wardrobe a year ago (as well as the rest of the apartment). I've recently done another wardrobe purge, since I've had a year to wear out more items and to gain perspective on what I actually want. So far I've avoided adding any new items in 2020 - I even went through the second half of 2019 without buying much clothing, other than shoes to replace some that had worn out. I have a wedding to go to in September but I think I can wear clothes I already own.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2020, 10:03:36 AM »
+1 so far so good as well. I feel a huge weight lifted from my shoulders. I got help from my therapist to understand that I was a compulsive shopper, and that I did most of my shopping in an attempt to keep reaching for my ever-moving-target goal of perfection.
Shopping, its financial aftermath and just dealing with the stuff (returns, storage, etc), is incredibly time consuming and mentally preoccupying. And not to mention how much of a relief it is to see my credit card balance growing soooo much slower. I can honestly say I am sleeping better at nights already. Thank you for this thread. It seemed like a daunting task at first, but this is exactly what I needed.

Isn't this the case for a lot of people? I feel like this is the case for a lot of people, especially in countries were people are 'better off'. It's like, now we're past the things we actually need (like food, shelter) we start consuming and consuming and consuming to reach an unattainable goal of perfection. Not only for clothes, but everything.  Kitchens, cars, stuff and stuff and more stuff. 'Already have a kitchen that works good? NOOO! YOU NEED A NEW kitchen'. To the point were people are telling other people they SHOULD buy things, like kitchens when they already have a good functioning kitchen. Newer phone that has 1 extra option and is 0.000001% faster? Shut up and take my money! And if other people aren't doing it? Shame them!

Sorry for my rant. But I also do this with clothing. Want perfection. Already have 6 pairs of jeans but HEY not the perfect one.

I am beginning to hate this more and more and don't want to participate. But it's soooo ingrained unfortunately. Funny thing is that for home stuff/cars/electronics it's not really a problem for me.. but clothes? Different story.

Also.. thanks for joining! To everyone! Good to have you on board!

Tess

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2020, 12:47:19 PM »
Just checking in -- almost four weeks, no purchases!  Shouldn't even be noteworthy but I shop/bargain hunt way too much as a way to get a lift and change the way I feel.  I have ben actively resisting the urge and feel better for it!  It has nothing to do with need.  I have MORE than enough.  It (the urge to shop) definitely has both fantasy and addictive elements.  I do want to spend sometime organizing, purging etc.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2020, 12:30:18 AM »
Checking in after 4 weeks.  I seem to be following in my BF's footsteps and wearing the same outfit for at least a couple of days in a row, until it actually needs washing.  Just changing my underwear and socks daily.  Makes my life so much easier!  Likely will not able to do that in the summer because the hot weather makes me sweaty due to menopause.  But anyway, I could probably get rid of half of my wardrobe and still have more that I need :-)