Author Topic: No spending for the next week  (Read 6207 times)

SMMcP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
No spending for the next week
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:26:15 AM »
I've decided to try to spend nothing in my "everyday expense" category for the next week, April 30 - May 6.  For me this includes groceries, gasoline, entertainment, restaurants, clothing, miscellaneous, books and wine.  I've never gone more than 2 days without spending on something before so we will see how it goes.  I have food in the house, gas in the car and plenty of things to do at home so there is really no reason why I can't do this.  I will keep you posted.

Osprey

Re: No spending for the next week
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 11:13:55 AM »
I will join you, if that's ok.
:)

Freda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 12:48:47 PM »
Starting now?  I'm in. 

SMMcP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 05:06:06 PM »
Starting now?  I'm in. 
I will join you, if that's ok.
:)

Thanks for joining in.  It's always easier when you have company.  I looked over the last several months of Quicken records and 2 days in a single week without spending is the best I have done.  So I think this will be an accomplishment for me, although it probably looks like a miniscule effort to some.

SMMcP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 07:16:07 AM »
Update - day one
Yesterday was not a workday for me.  In fact, I only have one workday scheduled during the next week.  I work very part-time these days (consider myself semi-retired).  I did some yardwork, cooked a pot of stew with ingredients I had on hand and did some reading. I'm reading Stuffed & Starved, The Hidden Battle for the World Food System by Raj Patel - I highly recommend it.  Later in the day I took a 3 mile walk for exercise and watched a Netflix movie in the evening.  Result - no spending required.

TansyPants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 12:09:43 PM »
Think I'll join this band wagon! Goal for this month: aside from rent, and a $15 return train fare to my parents place for dads birthday, spend $0.00.
A no spend week seems a good way to start that off :)

SMMcP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 08:26:01 AM »
Update - day two
Yesterday was another day spent at home - did housework, laundry, reading and took a long walk.  I did have to drive to my workplace to pick up some training materials that I need for tomorrow (I hated doing that because it is 21 miles each way, but it was totally necessary).  Today is my birthday and normally I would use that as an excuse to buy myself something, go out to lunch, etc but I am commited to this week without spending.

Result - no spending on day two.

.22guy

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 09:19:38 AM »
Keep up the good work!  I think it will get easier as the days go by. 

If you do a week, try to stretch it to 10 days.  Good luck! :)

Freda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 02:07:50 PM »
Um, can I restart?

SMMcP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »
Um, can I restart?

Of course you can!  If at first you don't succeed, try try again.

SMMcP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 03:37:26 PM »
Keep up the good work!  I think it will get easier as the days go by. 

If you do a week, try to stretch it to 10 days.  Good luck! :)

Hey thanks.  I was actually thinking along these lines - tack on an extra day or two to the week if I can.

SMMcP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 06:15:27 AM »
Update - day three

Yesterday was my birthday but I managed to avoid all temptation to spend money.  There were a couple of books I've been wanting to read and normally I would just download to Kindle or go the the bookstore.  Yesterday I went to the library instead and found both books!

Result - no spending on day three.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 10:01:09 PM »
Update - day two
Yesterday was another day spent at home - did housework, laundry, reading and took a long walk.  I did have to drive to my workplace to pick up some training materials that I need for tomorrow (I hated doing that because it is 21 miles each way, but it was totally necessary).  Today is my birthday and normally I would use that as an excuse to buy myself something, go out to lunch, etc but I am commited to this week without spending.

Result - no spending on day two.

Not sure where you live but next time that happens you might consider a courier service. See if it would be cheaper for the courier to bring you what you need vs driving (time, gas, tolls, parking, wear and tear, etc.). Just a thought.  In my area it would cost about $15 for the courier and more than that to drive. But I do understand the no spending cash component. Congrats on your success and happy belated birthday.

SMMcP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 07:39:37 AM »
Update - day four

Yesterday I attended some training/competency testing for work from 0800 - 1200.  I successfully avoided the co-workers who were planning to go to lunch afterward.  Other than that there were no real challenges to my no spending plan.

Result - no spending on day four.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 01:49:37 PM »
I'm so in!  I have to buy gas after work today, but that's it.  Will start fresh tomorrow:)  Great thread idea!

SMMcP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 08:37:30 AM »
Update - day 5

Yesterday I could really feel my resolve starting to weaken.  I started to think about some things I would like to pick up at the grocery store and "it's Saturday, maybe I should go out for awhile". 
In the end I got busy with some projects here at home then went out for a 3 1/2 mile walk instead.  It will be interesting to see how this week of avoiding spending will affect my savings at the end of the month.  I think that I will extend this experiment to see how many total days this month I can go without spending.  Since I record everything in Quicken, I know that in April there were only 7 days that I didn't spend something. In March it was 8 days.  I can do alot better than that.

Result - no spending on day 5

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 05:28:10 PM »
This sounds great. I am starting as of today. Today, I gardened and got a bed ready for carrots. I planted wildflowers and attended a child's soccer game. Total spent: 0.

Since I did not plan ahead, there's a chance I'll need to go to the grocery and I have to take the train to work.

SMMcP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 07:16:48 AM »
Update - day six

I stayed so busy yesterday I didn't have time to think about spending money.  BTW, I've lost 2 lbs this week, probably from not eating out and walking everyday.

Result - no spending on day six.

Freda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 10:51:58 AM »
Update - I fail utterly at not spending money.  Really. 

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 02:57:18 PM »
I took the train to work. Got free lunch at a conference. Total spent: $0. However, kidlet has a class photo this week and needs a haircut, so that will cost me something. I guess I'll start over.

Also, I owed money for web work and paid that bill...so technically, yeah, I did spend today. Does paying a bill count?

I guess that is what I get for not planning ahead not to spend. LOL

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 01:00:46 AM »
I bought gas for car the other day.  Had to buy gas for mower today, plus the work subsidized dog food day was today, so I picked that up.

Gas for mower: $3.84
Dog food:         $8.26

And tomorrow I'm getting my car worked on:( 

OH! And I had to buy my cap and gown for graduation  -$53.  This is not the best week. 

I did, however, dye my white sheets brown to match my dog.  (yep, I did that.)  Instead of buying new sheets.  I have eaten only food from home.  Those count, right?  Can I get credit for that?  :)

SMMcP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 08:10:16 AM »
I bought gas for car the other day.  Had to buy gas for mower today, plus the work subsidized dog food day was today, so I picked that up.

Gas for mower: $3.84
Dog food:         $8.26

And tomorrow I'm getting my car worked on:( 

OH! And I had to buy my cap and gown for graduation  -$53.  This is not the best week. 

I did, however, dye my white sheets brown to match my dog.  (yep, I did that.)  Instead of buying new sheets.  I have eaten only food from home.  Those count, right?  Can I get credit for that?  :)

Tami, Your expenditures were very minimal. I think you are doing great.

As for me, yesterday I had a doctor's appointment and had to pay a copay.  The doctor's office was right next to the grocery store so I decided to go ahead and buy groceries instead of making another trip today.  Bottom line, I went 6 days with no spending but did spend on the 7th day.  Today I'm going out to donate blood and will fill up my car with gas after that.  Starting tomorrow I am going to try again to go a full week without spending.  This does not include regular bills such as utilities, just everything I named in the first post of this thread which belongs to my "everyday expense" category on YNAB.

.22guy

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 09:52:46 AM »
I think for medical care, gas and food (groceries, not Starbucks or candy bars at the gas station), you should make exceptions.  You kinda need those things to live.

You're doing great, and have been an inspiration to me.  :)  Keep us posted on your fresh start.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 07:20:13 PM »
Woot. Woot! I am proud of myself. Except for groceries, I have spent nothing since last Sunday (May 5). Nada. Zip.

I got invited to an event and suggested a walk instead. Instead of buying Mother's Day presents, I made some fancy food items. I love how creative this exercise forces me to be.

Rock on, all!