Author Topic: No SNOOZE April  (Read 8581 times)

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No SNOOZE April
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2018, 08:15:48 AM »
Hey guys - sorry I've been AWOL! Had a last minute work trip come up and just got back yesterday. I definitely snoozed, not everyday but it happened! Turns out no-snooze while out of your normal routine is a next level challenge for me. I'm just going to write off the whole week and start back up tomorrow. Here's hoping I can finish up April strong! I hope everyone else is doing well.

Getting up for the start of a race, or to get to an amusement park early, or even just to get a fun day started.  Getting up to go to work is a whole different ballgame, and that is when I tend to snooze.  Unfortunately that's also when I tend to procrastinate going to bed - I don't want to go to sleep because then the next thing I know I'll wake up and have to do obligation things.

I agree completely! The struggle is real.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2018, 01:10:20 PM »
Haven't updated in a while. I was out of town on vacation for a few days so no snooze to hit :) but when i got back on 4/17 I woke up sick and did snooze once, then again this morning. Hopefully I can get back into it after having so many days off.

16/18 No Snooze

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2018, 03:42:15 PM »
I actually surprised myself by getting up to my 6am alarm this morning, after making the poor choice to stay up until midnight last night. So hopefully this is a good start to finishing April strong. I even worked out this morning - fucking miracle.

You still have an excellent track record @haypug16 ! Hang in there. I've lost track of my snoozes after last week! :-o

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2018, 11:49:49 AM »
I'm... not sure what to call myself at this point.  I don't "snooze" in that my alarm goes off and I go back to bed, but I'm not successfully getting up at 6AM as I'd stated every day.  Turns out, 2-3 6AM days a week are fine, but with when I go to bed (between 2200-2300), I can't do 6AM every day - I end up rapidly short on sleep.

So... I think total failure of the stated goals.  I'm better at being up around 7:30, and the sun coming up earlier is helping (I hate waking up before the sun...), but it's nowhere near 6AM every day.

Also, contributing, being up far before anyone else in the house without anything in particular to do isn't a good use of time for me.

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2018, 08:41:01 PM »
@finallyfrugal you aren't alone! well done getting to day 13!

@Syonyk it doesn't sound like failure to me, sounds like you are just learning what wake up times work best for you.

As for me I got up at 6 on schedule. Worked a long day and didn't make it to the gym. Heading to bed now before I go down anymore internet rabbit holes.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2018, 08:45:48 AM »
Hit snooze twice this morning. :/ Needed to get up early for a meeting so i kind of set my alarm a little earlier so that I could afford a snooze or 2 but maybe that was what did me in. If I had set my alarm for when I needed to be awake perhaps I would have just gotten up or perhaps I would have been late?

17/20 No Snooze

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2018, 04:49:40 PM »
Thanks @finallyfrugal! :-) The trip threw me off a little bit but not too much.

@haypug16 yeah isn't it funny trying to trick your own brain into behaving? Did you get enough sleep last night?

I got up this morning on time (ish?) though must have lingered in bed without being consciously aware of it because I was running 15 min behind. But I didn't hit snooze so I'm not sure what happened? I have one of those light alarm clocks which sometimes acts weird. Oh well still pretty good and I got to work by 7 despite having a late night there yesterday. I'm on day 2 of no gym though - but I'm going to not shower tonight which will force me to go to the gym (and thus shower!!) in the morning. That's my weird / gross way to trick my brain today...

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2018, 09:25:05 AM »
Nope hit snooze and loafed in bed with DH talking about mini vacations we have planned this summer. Thankfully I didn't have to be at work at any particular time. Going to bed early tonight because I want to ride my bike to work so I need to leave by 7.

17/21 No Snooze

finallyfrugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2018, 12:56:49 PM »
woke before my alarm today! I'm at 14/15 total

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2018, 07:41:54 PM »
I snoozed today, but only because I'm a dummy and set my alarm for 5:30... you think I'd know myself by now. But I did get up at 6.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2018, 07:46:12 AM »
i just bought one of these off ebay for $60.  i know that's a lot for an alarm clock, but this thing is bad ass.  Philips HF3520. brand new they're like $120 but it's not like an alarm clock gets a lot of wear and tear so used off ebay is fine.

you can set it so the light comes on anywhere from 20-40 min before the 'alarm' which can be set to birds chirping and other non-offensive noises.  this thing is a total game changer, allowing for a slow calm wake rather than the obnoxious buzzing of a normal alarm clock.

it's worth a try if you have issues getting up. 

another idea is to put a lamp on a timer so it comes on when your alarm does so the room lights up to help you get up.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Wake-Up-Colored-Simulation-HF3520/dp/B0093162RM

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2018, 12:59:49 PM »
i just bought one of these off ebay for $60.  i know that's a lot for an alarm clock, but this thing is bad ass.  Philips HF3520. brand new they're like $120 but it's not like an alarm clock gets a lot of wear and tear so used off ebay is fine.

you can set it so the light comes on anywhere from 20-40 min before the 'alarm' which can be set to birds chirping and other non-offensive noises.  this thing is a total game changer, allowing for a slow calm wake rather than the obnoxious buzzing of a normal alarm clock.

another idea is to put a lamp on a timer so it comes on when your alarm does so the room lights up to help you get up.

That's the one I have! (damn why didn't I check eBay??) Overall I really like it. Sometimes I get confused as to whether the bird chirping is real or the alarm clock.

No snooze yesterday or today. And I even worked out yesterday morning. Only a few more days of April left!!!

finallyfrugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2018, 02:39:07 PM »
Last day of April! I started the challenge late, but am at 18/19 as of today. I am going to keep going and will do my best to make this a long term habit

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2018, 07:35:06 PM »
Woo last day of April! I didn't snooze!

I'm really glad I started this challenge. Even though I wasn't perfect, I didn't snooze the majority of days, and got up on average MUCH earlier than normal even on days when I did snooze. So I'm considering this a massive success and I plan to continue with the habit of not snoozing most days.

Thanks for playing along with me guys, and congrats to all of you! I'm wondering what my May challenge should be.... maybe no added sugar.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2018, 07:43:27 AM »

That's the one I have! (damn why didn't I check eBay??) Overall I really like it. Sometimes I get confused as to whether the bird chirping is real or the alarm clock.

No snooze yesterday or today. And I even worked out yesterday morning. Only a few more days of April left!!!

the cool thing about this clock is that i no longer feel that aggro cortisol shot first thing every morning.  even if the birds go on for a few min i'm ok with it and just stretch a little while they chirp.  i started with the #1 birds but today i tried the #3 birds and i like the hoo-hoo better than the whistle of #1. 
my trick to no snooze is to put it about 5 feet up on a shelf across the room close to a window so the light is directly visible from my pillow and it's sort of like the sun is coming through the window.  this is my second week with it and already i feel much better during the day, mainly due to the lack of  that harsh buzzing alarm.  it's like whoever designed alarm clocks did so with punishment in mind.  i wonder if they make alarm clocks without snooze...

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2018, 07:47:23 AM »
I'm wondering what my May challenge should be.... maybe no added sugar.

suggestion:  zero carbs / keto diet

been on it for about 3 months and i'm not 100% keto but close to it.  dropping bread and other macro carbs has been a game changer that makes getting up and keeping energy levels up a lot easier.

find the joe rogan podcast with dom d'agostino for more on keto.

eta:  just realized there is a whole keto thread on here.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:00:19 AM by MDfive21 »

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2018, 10:40:41 AM »
Woo last day of April! I didn't snooze!

I'm really glad I started this challenge. Even though I wasn't perfect, I didn't snooze the majority of days, and got up on average MUCH earlier than normal even on days when I did snooze. So I'm considering this a massive success and I plan to continue with the habit of not snoozing most days.

Thanks for playing along with me guys, and congrats to all of you! I'm wondering what my May challenge should be.... maybe no added sugar.

Congratulations on completing your challenge with such success! 

i like the hoo-hoo better than the whistle

hahaha I like that quote.